Topic Stats

• 9,746 posts
  • 561 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Platypus
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,317 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
coilstop (resized).jpg
IMG-20191017-WA0070 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191121-135123 (resized).png
ap2 (resized).jpg
AP (resized).jpg
20191115_193550 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191110_201555 (resized).jpg
20191107_132816 (resized).jpg
0BFFBA7A-2A37-4ECF-8E8A-454961EC1D22 (resized).jpeg
AD1C4609-DABC-4F2A-9D57-23EBD847BBE8 (resized).jpeg
Houdini MM rules (resized).JPG
IMG_20191031_204154 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191031_204326 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 9746 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 195.
#4451 1 year ago

Just listened to the Head to Head podcast with Rosh - great stuff that I actually LOL'd at a few times. Looking forward to seeing what game #2 brings while greatly enjoying Houdini!

#4452 1 year ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Just spamming an interview we did with Josh rosh

Great interview. You know he has a lot of work in it, and there is still excitement in his voice. Makes for a great game !

LTG : )
Disclaimer : I have to get one of the stuffed monkeys.

#4453 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Great interview. You know he has a lot of work in it, and there is still excitement in his voice. Makes for a great game !
Disclaimer : I have to get one of the stuffed monkeys.

You mean a neutered monkey.

#4454 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

You mean a neutered monkey.

I most humbly apologize. It's early and my faux pas slip is quite shameful.

Disclaimer : I have to get one of the stuffed monkeys so I can neuter the little bastard myself. Band aids be damned. Full speed ahead.

#4455 1 year ago

My issues are fixed,thanks Barry.
You the man
Pinched wires in the ball trough coil.
Everyone check to make sure the wires are not close there.
Later releases they rerouted the wires.

#4456 1 year ago
Quoted from pingod:

You the man

Just doing my Job. I am here to help.

#4457 1 year ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Just doing my Job. I am here to help.

Now with lederhosen!

#4458 1 year ago
Quoted from pingod:

You the man

What serial do you have? if you don't mind

Anyone know where to get these exact GI LEDs in Houdini, the frosted bayonet bulbs? I want to get bunch to swap my TZ GI lighting over to. I think they'll look great.

#4459 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Now with lederhosen!

No, No and Hell No... I don't do Lederhosen...

#4460 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

What serial do you have? if you don't mind
Anyone know where to get these exact GI LEDs in Houdini, the frosted bayonet bulbs? I want to get bunch to swap my TZ GI lighting over to. I think they'll look great.

I am game number HOU1247

#4461 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Anyone know where to get these exact GI LEDs in Houdini, the frosted bayonet bulbs?

check with cointaker they may have the same bulb

#4462 1 year ago

Update on magic shop timer not pausing. It appears that the pausing of the timer when in the pops is causing the timer to resume even after you enter the magic shop, depending on the timing of the last pop hit. So, that will be corrected in next code update.

#4463 1 year ago

Had my first reboot of the Houdini in intense 2 player game. I was in a Multiball, ball 3 I think. Just got another Houdini letter. A ball was in the scoop ready to come out and another went in on top of it. Game rebooted when balls tried to eject. My to be awesome score was DeStRoYeD!!!
Running the latest code: 5/4/18.

#4464 1 year ago

Got the Film mini wizard and 5 of the 7 Houdini letters tonight.

22A0C0E4-E046-41D1-9077-B5D3BA67634C (resized).jpeg
#4465 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Had my first reboot of the Houdini in intense 2 player game. I was in a Multiball, ball 3 I think. Just got another Houdini letter. A ball was in the scoop ready to come out and another went in on top of it. Game rebooted when balls tried to eject. My to be awesome score was DeStRoYeD!!!

Sorry you lost your score, Pull logs and email them to me so I can see what happened.

#4466 1 year ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

There's a budding screen display problem now that scores are getting up there.

Probably need to move to a smaller font or a format like this:

MAGICIAN 1
<SCORE> <TIME>
MAGICIAN 2
<SCORE> <TIME>
MAGICIAN 3
<SCORE> <TIME>
MAGICIAN 4
<SCORE> <TIME>

#4467 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

There's a budding screen display problem now that scores are getting up there.

I’ve made a few enhancements to that screen, which will take care of it.

#4468 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

I’ve made a few enhancements to that screen, which will take care of it.

Even if a game goes to 10 million AND over an hour?

#4469 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Even if a game goes to 10 million AND over an hour?

Someone must be getting good!!!

#4470 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Sorry you lost your score, Pull logs and email them to me so I can see what happened.

Ok, Rosh, first time for me pulling logs.
Couple questions:
1. Will the log you need still be there even if I turned off the pin 2 hrs ago?
2. Will it prompt me for a date range for the logs to pull down or does it know what to do?

#4471 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Ok, Rosh, first time for me pulling logs.
Couple questions:
1. Will the log you need still be there even if I turned off the pin 2 hrs ago?
2. Will it prompt me for a date range for the logs to pull down or does it know what to do?

Make sure there's no update file on the usb. With the game running, insert the usb drive and it will copy the logs to the USB automatically.

#4472 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Josh...is that you?

Quoted from CUJO:

I would look around all the coils and see if a Yellow 12 Volt line is caught up in one of the coils.

#4473 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I would check around each of the coils to see if a Yellow 12 Volt line is caught up in a coil.

#4474 1 year ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Congratulations! I feel bad for magician 2 though lol.

#4475 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Congratulations! I feel bad for magician 2 though lol.

That was an accidental press of the start button.

#4476 1 year ago

Well I finally broke down and changed to 5 balls per game. By the 4th and 5th I really get a flow going and increased scoring by a factor of 4. I spent 2 months on three with no real gains. The machine is here for enjoyment so ill make it fit the part.

#4477 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Well I finally broke down and changed to 5 balls per game. By the 4th and 5th I really get a flow going and increased scoring by a factor of 4. I spent 2 months on three with no real gains. The machine is here for enjoyment so ill make it fit the part.

Thanks for the insight. I never feel good about loosening up the rules on a game. I want to enjoy it as the designer intended. On the other hand, I don’t yet have the skills to get deep into most games. My best score is 1.3 million and even on that game I only received 1 or 2 Houdini letters.

My goal is to get to wizards modes occasionally. Currently, I’ve never gotten close to any of the mini wizard modes. I think I’m going to stay at 3 balls but I’m thinking of moving in the left outlane post. That outlane is hungry!

#4478 1 year ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I would check around each of the coils to see if a Yellow 12 Volt line is caught up in a coil.

Got a pic or can you explain what "caught up in a coil" means?
I've played 320 games so far..1st reboot ever...

#4479 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Make sure there's no update file on the usb. With the game running, insert the usb drive and it will copy the logs to the USB automatically.

Ok. thanks for the info.

#4480 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

explain what "caught up in a coil" means?

Any yellow 12 volt wires near any coils. Possibly by coil lugs, or moving parts. And worn through the wire and shorting to anything.

Only a few minutes under the hood to give everything a quick look see. See if any wires are close to things they shouldn't be close to.

#4481 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

I have 15 files = 26.9MB on the USB drive.
ZIP them up first? Send to what email?

#4482 1 year ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I think I’m going to stay at 3 balls but I’m thinking of moving in the left outlane post. That outlane is hungry!

it is about a 2 to 1 ration of drains down the left vs the right, so, making that smaller in a home environment makes sense.

I have no issue with 5 ball play, game is incredibly wide and deep. There are a lot of extra balls, based on progress through movies and escapes. I recommend choosing a mini-magician mode to go for (right now movie or escapes) and focus on that during game play, very hard to progress all of them at the same time.

Quoted from CUJO:

I have 15 files = 26.9MB on the USB drive.
ZIP them up first? Send to what email?

Zipping is good (after next release they will be zipped for you). send to josh@american-pinball.com Hold off on what Barry suggests until I look at the logs. I'll know pretty quick if it was an software crash or something with the physical machine.

#4483 1 year ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Thanks for the insight. I never feel good about loosening up the rules on a game. I want to enjoy it as the designer intended. On the other hand, I don’t yet have the skills to get deep into most games. My best score is 1.3 million and even on that game I only received 1 or 2 Houdini letters.
My goal is to get to wizards modes occasionally. Currently, I’ve never gotten close to any of the mini wizard modes. I think I’m going to stay at 3 balls but I’m thinking of moving in the left outlane post. That outlane is hungry!

I’m not even close to good enough to get hardly anywhere on 3 balls - there are still way too many times where the ball just jams down the outlanes. So I’ve adjusted the mode times (60sec) and gone to 5-ball . I still can’t get very far some games, which I think is A) an indication my game isn’t totally set up right (game is not level! Lol) and B) there’s definitely some luck involved.

So basically , you know.. it’s pinball!

#4484 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m not even close to good enough to get hardly anywhere on 3 balls - there are still way too many times where the ball just jams down the outlanes. So I’ve adjusted the mode times (60sec) and gone to 5-ball . I still can’t get very far some games, which I think is A) an indication my game isn’t totally set up right (game is not level! Lol) and B) there’s definitely some luck involved.

Whenever I get a new game that I have never played, I dont think about scores at all.

I focus on one side of the game or the other. Say left or right playfield.

I get to know the shots on one side of the game over repetition for quite a few games, then move onto the other side of the playfield.

This breaks the game down to a simpler less random environment and allows me to master the shots in a more focused way.

After I feel more confident, I am challenged to reproduce my work "on the fly" in an actual game environment.

Its exhilarating to make my practiced shots by "feel" other than by luck.

#4485 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I can score a million on ball 1 and the next game I can't break 100k on three balls -- on the same machine. So, sometimes you just have the feel for the shots and sometimes you are just off, sometimes you are really concentrating and focused and sometimes you are just flipping. Sometimes you get the right modes at the right time with the right stacks, and well, you get the idea.

#4486 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

I can score a million on ball 1 and the next game I can't break 100k on three balls -- on the same machine. So, sometimes you just have the feel for the shots and sometimes you are just off, sometimes you are really concentrating and focused and sometimes you are just flipping. Sometimes you get the right modes at the right time with the right stacks, and well, you get the idea.

Hit 1.3 million on ball 1 yesterday. Final score only 1.8 million. Next game only 450,000.

#4487 1 year ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Hit 1.3 million on ball 1 yesterday. Final score only 1.8 million. Next game only 450,000.

Some games you're half-jacket, some games you're not.

#4488 1 year ago

Consistency on Houdini is mystifying, magical if you can pull it off.

#4489 1 year ago

Watched a gameplay stream last night, seems like a very challenging game with very tight shots. I played it once at the Cidercade in Dallas, but walked away after only one game as I couldn't hear the audio and just about every shot bricked against a post. I regret doing that now, but at the time there was so much else to play. What's your opinion, is it fun, is it a keeper, would you buy one/happy with your purchase?

#4490 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

just about every shot bricked against a post

Have you ever played AFM? Im surprised I havent had to replace al of the post rubbers on my game yet.

Bricked shots are not a reason to give up on a game, its part of the fun!

Yeah, lack of audio is really a reason to walk away.

I dont know why there is no headphone jack included. JJP puts them on (with external volume adjustment!) so that you can really enjoy the work that was put into the audio.

barryj rosh hint: headphone jacks are really a good idea and inexpensive to implement (give pinnovators a call please).

Adapt, learn and be rewarded. Pinball is a lifestyle.

#4491 1 year ago

Have you ever played AFM?
Bricked shots are not a reason to give up on a game, its part of the fun!
Adapt, learn and be rewarded.

Yes, played AFM many times and love it. The shots on Houdini seemed much tighter to me and from what I saw of the gameplay stream it looks like a difficult game to play. I'm not bagging the game, in fact I want to like it as I really like the them. Genuinely interested to hear peoples opinion of the gameplay and longevity in a collection.

#4492 1 year ago

Yeah, lack of audio is really a reason to walk away.

I dont know why there is no headphone jack included. JJP puts them on (with external volume adjustment!) so that you can really enjoy the work that was put into the audio.

I edited my post to add some stuff.

I played the game a lot at TPF and though it was hard to hear, I found the game at Flip n out's table, and could focus on it.

It took me about 10 games to get the feel of it.

Then I was hooked. Bought it as soon as I got home.

#4493 1 year ago

Thanks for posting your opinion pinballinreno. That day at the Cidercade I was spoilt for choice, lots to play and the Houdini was drowned out by the other games nearby. Seriously considering ordering a Houdini as I really like the theme, however I'd like to hear more opinions before I take the plunge or set aside a day to make the drive to play one again.

#4494 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

My Bally/Williams games are set to 3 balls and every pin since 2000 is set to 5 balls. I tend to explore the game more than I play for points. I like to be able to get to mini-wizard and wizard modes and only use score as a general reference. Resulting scores are often double or triple my ball 3 score. Most B/W game wizard modes can be started on 3 balls, and that's why I use 3 on those.

Yep, Stern, JJP, Heighway Pinball, American Pinball and Dutch Pinball are all 5 ball games. Spooky games feel closer to B/W in concept, so those are set to 3 balls and are an exception to my rule. Gotta have fun playing your games, right?

#4495 1 year ago

So I've had my Houdini for 2-3 weeks now, and I've noticed that the stand-up target that's the first E in "Escape" has started to get a little torqued. I suspect it's from the ball hitting it, at an angle, off the flippers.

So far, the switch is working just fine, but I wonder if this is something that needs to be corrected, or if it's just a cosmetic issue that I should learn to deal with. If it DOES need to be corrected, is it something that I can do easily from the top (with just the glass removed), or does it require something more involved?

Thanks for any know-how...

Josh

Stand-Up Target 01 (resized).jpgStand-Up Target 02 (resized).jpg
#4496 1 year ago
Quoted from Josho:

is it something that I can do easily from the top (with just the glass removed),

Turn game off. You might be able to bend/align it from on top. If not, lift playfield. Remove two screws and lower it. And straighten with a thin flat nosed pliers or something.

#4497 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

What's your opinion, is it fun, is it a keeper, would you buy one/happy with your purchase?

I’ve had mine for a since March and I like it immensely. It has made me a better player. It is difficult but in a good way. Doesn’t feel unfair. The theme integration is fabulous and it is a beautiful game. I don’t see Houdini leaving my home for a very long time if ever.

#4498 1 year ago

Update: I just can’t get the tilt working in gameplay after thorough scrubbing with alcohol and connection checks. It works great in test mode now, but the game will not tilt out. It’s at a competitive location so I need to get this sorted — I’ll grab the log or whatever and open a ticket.

#4499 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Turn game off. You might be able to bend/align it from on top. If not, lift playfield. Remove two screws and lower it. And straighten with a thin flat nosed pliers or something.

Thank you, LTG! I'm guessing I have to leave a hair's distance between the two switch nodes?

I can't help but wonder if I'm the only person with this issue.

#4500 1 year ago
Quoted from Josho:

So I've had my Houdini for 2-3 weeks now, and I've noticed that the stand-up target that's the first E in "Escape" has started to get a little torqued. I suspect it's from the ball hitting it, at an angle, off the flippers.
So far, the switch is working just fine, but I wonder if this is something that needs to be corrected, or if it's just a cosmetic issue that I should learn to deal with. If it DOES need to be corrected, is it something that I can do easily from the top (with just the glass removed), or does it require something more involved?
Thanks for any know-how...
Josh

This damage is indicitive of Flipper strenght to high. What are your flipper coils set at?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Olathe, KS
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 9746 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 195.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside