New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 183206)

American Pinball Houdini thread

By lllvjr

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11,590 posts
  • 622 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Soundkillr
  • Topic is favorited by 163 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,520 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1697.JPG
CCC46D76-4709-46C7-869F-2439297EBC6C (resized).jpeg
PXL_20201002_135917522.jpg
DSC_5311 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 8.32.15 AM (resized).png
51346126-CFF4-4905-B598-2B9356BC7BE9 (resized).jpeg
E94F6B01-D6A7-4F3C-96F6-9011E5802E53 (resized).jpeg
A83368D1-8F23-4D5B-A660-3D68AF5D582E (resized).jpeg
CD982BF7-7C2C-48E8-B5E0-5729F67B6FC2 (resized).jpeg
7C077BFF-913D-475C-8FCF-A689E238D043 (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
4782547E-81E9-44BC-9032-E3FA375DEE4C (resized).png
5D7054C8-D68D-443D-8238-995690C69A70 (resized).jpeg
15998391682514329179001477971120 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200906_203143640 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11590 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 232.
#4401 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

you guys need to stop hitting the booze before you play The timer stops when it is doing it is pulling stuff out of the hat. It is possible that a couple of the awards start the timer a couple of seconds too early before ejecting the ball, but it most certainly stops when it enters and during the animations of the hat pull. I just tested this on all five film modes.
Going back to a previous post, I could start seance during Movie Binge, at least when it was still just a single ball, and that is not a good thing, makes it too easy to rack up the points, and that will get changed, so that neither trunk MB or seance can start during the binge.

No booze while playing, why in the hell would I do that!?! I've had them time out on me when I hit it into the magic shop, I don't have a good rig for camera setup but if I have to I'll get chuckwurt over here to stream it happening! Of course then it won't happen.

#4402 2 years ago

Hello,Rosh,Can you help me with my 4 week old Houdini?? First time I tried reversed flippers,the left flipper won't go down!!! Ball will hit it and push it down,then it pops back up!!! Any suggestions.Please????!! Thank-you!!!!

#4403 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Try removing the washer from the the inside part of the shooter rod. rubber - spring - washer - cabinet. That is the tension / rubbing culprit.

Just tried it and...

youarecorrectsir (resized).jpg
#4404 2 years ago

My wife just ordered my shaker motor for my Father’s Day gift (nothing like waiting until the last minute) and I can’t wait to see how Rosh used it.

#4405 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hello,Rosh,Can you help me with my 4 week old Houdini?? First time I tried reversed flippers,the left flipper won't go down!!! Ball will hit it and push it down,then it pops back up!!! Any suggestions.Please????!! Thank-you!!!!

were you doing reversed or reversed and inverted? Sounds like inverted, where it will be up and you need to hold the flipper buttons in to drop it down, and then release the button when who want to flip (then hold it back in again to drop it down). But if inverted, both would be up, so . . .

#4406 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

were you doing reversed or reversed and inverted? Sounds like inverted, where it will be up and you need to hold the flipper buttons in to drop it down, and then release the button when who want to flip (then hold it back in again to drop it down). But if inverted, both would be up, so . . .

Ok I thought reversed was bad! Inverted too! Mind blown!

#4407 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yep, FILM mode timers definitely run when entering the magic shop.

Thanks for the validation. I will still try and capture it on video.

#4408 2 years ago

Yes,it was reversed and inverted!First time I tried it,now left flipper doese'nt go back down!When pushed down,it flips ,then goes back up! No tension on the flipper,if you move it with your finger!Something broke

#4409 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

you guys need to stop hitting the booze before you play The timer stops when it is doing it is pulling stuff out of the hat. It is possible that a couple of the awards start the timer a couple of seconds too early before ejecting the ball, but it most certainly stops when it enters and during the animations of the hat pull. I just tested this on all five film modes.

I took the glass off and tested it with all 5 film modes and several movie modes last night, I could not recreate the issue - but I have seen it. I will keep a closer eye out for when it happens and capture some video and the logs. There must be some particular situation when it happens. I've seen it with and without the booze

#4410 2 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

but I have seen it.

I saw Bigfoot once...But I was drinking a tiny bit...

#4411 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

When pushed down,it flips ,then goes back up!

Then it's getting power from something. I'd start at the flipper button switches. To see if something there needs adjusting to work right.

LTG : )

#4413 2 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

There must be some particular situation when it happens. I've seen it with and without the booze

If it happens again send me the logs.

#4414 2 years ago

OK,magicians,listen up_ my left flipper situation is solved! It seems,the left flipper spring broke! Why?The bracket that holds the spring and plunger were very rough edged! The spring pulls across the bracket to pull back.Every time it did,it sawed a small grove in the metal! Finally,the little spring snapped! I had to file down and smooth the edges of both brackets,and reinstall 2 common flipper springs! The ones I used were not as tight as the ones AP used , so I get a little more flipper power!Thank-you everyone for the help!!!!

#4415 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK,magicians,listen up_ my left flipper situation is solved! It seems,the left flipper spring broke! Why?The bracket that holds the spring and plunger were very rough edged! The spring pulls across the bracket to pull back.Every time it did,it sawed a small grove in the metal! Finally,the little spring snapped! I had to file down and smooth the edges of both brackets,and reinstall 2 common flipper springs! The ones I used were not as tight as the ones AP used , so I get a little more flipper power!Thank-you everyone for the help!!!!

Cut off a couple loops on the spring and bend a new hook to match it with the other one.

#4416 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Cut off a couple loops on the spring and bend a new hook to match it with the other one.

broke (resized).JPGfix (resized).JPGgoodasnew (resized).JPG
#4417 2 years ago

I looked thru the menus and can't find where you turn on the ball times along with the scores at the end of the game.

Can someone point me?

Also will it reset high scores if I do that? Don't wanna do hi score resets unless I have too.

#4418 2 years ago

Can I order a knocker with my game order yet?

#4419 2 years ago

Can I order a knocker with my game order yet?

Yes

Quoted from CUJO:

I looked thru the menus and can't find where you turn on the ball times along with the scores at the end of the game.
Can someone point me?
Also will it reset high scores if I do that? Don't wanna do hi score resets unless I have too.

Not at a machine, but pretty sure under settings-> standard

It will not affect high scores

#4421 2 years ago

Going to be ordering a Houdini soon, any options I definitely need?

#4422 2 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

I recommend the art blades, magic glass, and shaker

#4423 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Im sure the answer is easily found, but can any extras be factory installed?

#4424 2 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

any options I definitely need?

If I would order again would include all of the above and the knocker ....

#4425 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

And now the knocker!

#4426 2 years ago

Not in store yet! Can somebody post when it arrives in the shop!

#4427 2 years ago

And now the knocker!

Gotta have the knocker. Really excited, love the theme and gameplay videos ive seen. Machine is gorgeous.

#4428 2 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Not a factory option , however an external subwoofer is a must, the expansion of sound just enhances the game!

#4429 2 years ago

So you have to pay extra for a knocker on a pinball machine. David, Steve, Harry and many others are not happy. Not happy at all.

#4430 2 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Im sure the answer is easily found, but can any extras be factory installed?

Yes,mine were!7595.00 delivered!

#4431 2 years ago

Sorry.art blades shaker.and Magic glass were factory installed by JJ at GEX!!!

#4432 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Yes,mine were!7595.00 delivered!

That seems like a good price

#4433 2 years ago

Just had a flipper spring in the left also break.

#4434 2 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

Just had a flipper spring in the left also break.

Easy fix. See post 4415 and 4416.

The holes will smooth over and likely not break again.

#4435 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

If it happens again send me the logs.

I haven't seen the magic shot timer issue yet but I did just lose about 10 seconds while locking a ball in the trunk. 1 ball in play with 20 seconds left on the timer and I hit the trunk lock. By the time I get the ball back only 10 seconds are left in the mode.

Still watching for magic shop.

#4436 2 years ago

Shaker motor install. Excited.

IMG_2246 (resized).JPG
#4437 2 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Check the power cord going into the game. There is no bracket to keep it from pulling out so it may be a little loose.

Quoted from vireland:

Sounds like possibly one of two things:
You may have a short - go to the system menu, coil tests. Pull out the white post inside the coin door left edge then cycle through the coils, manually firing each one. See if any coil firing resets the machine.
If not, it's likely your power supply isn't outputting enough power and when it drops low it resets. Check the power coming out of your power supply.

Did everything except checking the power coming off the supply. I don’t have a tester.
I even changed out the power cord for another. Same problem.
I did leave AP a message today.
I’ll call on Monday and ask if I don’t get a response then.

#4438 2 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

I love how you have the time played after game ends. Would it be possible to implement one where it shows average amount of points per flip?

To much work or no interest?

#4439 2 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

To much work or no interest?

Maybe Rosh will chime in tomorrow.
I personally think that stat would be skewed with modes and not reflect true points per flip.

#4440 2 years ago

I am looking for a good rule explanation/strategy guide on youtube, not just gameplay videos. Any recommendations? Is there a detailed rulesheet anywhere?

Thank you for any feedback.

Eckhard

#4441 2 years ago

So I checked my spring on my left flipper to see if that was also my problem causing weak flips, but the spring seems fine. What is different though is when the left flipper flips, the coil is pretty loose in the assembly and wobbles. The right flipper is completely solid. Screws all seem tight.

#4442 2 years ago

Adjusted flipper bat and tightened, the coil isn’t jumping all over the place anymore so hopefully that was it!

#4443 2 years ago

So that didn’t quite work; still intermittent weak flips. It looks like something is wrong with the assembly itself. When the flipper moves, it makes a loud scraping sound where the right side flipper is silent.

#4444 2 years ago
Quoted from enkiktd:

So that didn’t quite work; still intermittent weak flips. It looks like something is wrong with the assembly itself. When the flipper moves, it makes a loud scraping sound where the right side flipper is silent.

Is the flipper too tight vertically? You should have some up and down play (maybe 2mm) if you pull up and down on the flipper bat.

#4445 2 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I am looking for a good rule explanation/strategy guide on youtube, not just gameplay videos. Any recommendations? Is there a detailed rulesheet anywhere?
Thank you for any feedback.
Eckhard

Best rulesheet I've see is here: http://tiltforums.com/t/houdini-rulesheet/3934

#4446 2 years ago

Just spamming an interview we did with Josh rosh
We talks about his journey with joining AP, and about doing the software for Houdini.

I thought owners would enjoy the listen!

http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/06/18/episode-48-josh-kugler-from-american-pinball/

EP48 (resized).jpg

#4447 2 years ago

That is what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!!!

#4448 2 years ago
Quoted from enkiktd:

call our Help line and Barry will work with you to get it right. 833-api-help

or open a ticket

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Maybe Rosh will chime in tomorrow.
I personally think that stat would be skewed with modes and not reflect true points per flip.

Points per flip, don't think that would make total sense, however, I am planning a new stat along those very lines as far as 'efficiency of play'

And now the knocker!

won't be available until after the next code release, since won't work without that. And that is still a couple of weeks away.

#4449 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Points per flip, don't think that would make total sense, however, I am planning a new stat along those very lines as far as 'efficiency of play'

Call it what it is: % Bricks Launched ( - : "Brickage"

#4450 2 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Call it what it is: % Bricks Launched ( - : "Brickage"

While a brick is certainly a measure of poor play by the player, it is hard to know a brick vs a deliberate shot to a seance target.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 124.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 11590 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 232.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside