20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 297.
#4301 5 years ago

My trunk shot was working perfectly until I updated to the latest code. Now it misses most of the time.

Which way should I go with the power to the coil? More or less?

#4302 5 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

My trunk shot was working perfectly until I updated to the latest code. Now it misses most of the time.
Which way should I go with the power to the coil? More or less?

Is it landing short or long?

#4303 5 years ago

I just got the milkcan mulitplier on the skillshot for 2X playfield. Then I hit the milkcan loop and combo'd the ramp for 3X playfield. Then the ball went into the pops and bounced over to the mystery award hole and awarded me ball lock which happened to be lock #3. It also started a film mode. So I head into Trunk multiball and a film mode with 3X playfield and.....I drain all three balls in record time (well under 10 seconds from the start of the multiball)....ball save already off...game over....

Rosh, please extend the ball save on that multiball! I think the ball save timer starts before the multiball even begins.

#4304 5 years ago

Still very happy with my pin! The only thing I would like to an improvement on would be the chin magnet! The "hands" magnet on high send the ball in all kinds of directions but I'm not noticing much in the "chin" perhaps it's just mine or done by design!
Keep up the great work AP

#4305 5 years ago

Had a disastrous couple of days of bad games recently, and re-levelled the game.. what a huge difference! My skill shots still drain way more often than I’d like but this game begs to be perfectly level. Really anticipating the next level of code! Hope that master magician mode is getting close! (Not that I am at all.. haha)

#4306 5 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

I just got the milkcan mulitplier on the skillshot for 2X playfield. Then I hit the milkcan loop and combo'd the ramp for 3X playfield. Then the ball went into the pops and bounced over to the mystery award hole and awarded me ball lock which happened to be lock #3. It also started a film mode. So I head into Trunk multiball and a film mode with 3X playfield and.....I drain all three balls in record time (well under 10 seconds from the start of the multiball)....ball save already off...game over....
Rosh, please extend the ball save on that multiball! I think the ball save timer starts before the multiball even begins.

Checked the code, timer starts when third ball put into play, and it is 10 seconds. I'll evaluate making it longer and check to see if something else might be impacting the timer.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Had a disastrous couple of days of bad games recently, and re-levelled the game.. what a huge difference! My skill shots still drain way more often than I’d like but this game begs to be perfectly level. Really anticipating the next level of code! Hope that master magician mode is getting close! (Not that I am at all.. haha)

Yes, getting close.

Quoted from transprtr4u:

Still very happy with my pin! The only thing I would like to an improvement on would be the chin magnet! The "hands" magnet on high send the ball in all kinds of directions but I'm not noticing much in the "chin" perhaps it's just mine or done by design!

Since it is during multiball, you may not notice some of the more subtle movements, just when it suddenly changes direction. I think that seance multiball is tough enough with how much it messes with the balls now.

#4307 5 years ago

Houdini has been on my wish list since first playing it at last year's NW Show. I really enjoyed playing it again at this year's show this past weekend and set a goal of getting one by Christmas. After making some game deals though, I ended up buying one of the 5 Houdinis on the floor and am now very pleased to have joined this club!

I'm really looking forward to being able to play this game in depth at home now!

#4308 5 years ago

Hay,Tuna,welcome to the club!!!!!

#4309 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Checked the code, timer starts when third ball put into play, and it is 10 seconds. I'll evaluate making it longer and check to see if something else might be impacting the timer.

I seem to experience the same thing. It like you finally get to trunk MB and frequently it’s over in seconds. MBs on Houdini seem to drain faster than Sterns. I’m guessing that is caused by the playfield layout being tighter and lower and that gets balls into the outlines faster and angled past the flippers.

#4310 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

The magnets work amazingly well I think, I've had it do stuff I've never seen any other game with magnets do. Lots of times in Seance and Man from Beyond there are really crazy "stop and slide" moments when the ball is approaching the flipper and just suddenly jukes ya out. Sometimes I do think the magnets are affecting the flipper, usually the left. I don't know if it's power related (the flipper gets weaker because of the magnets drawing power) or magnetic field related but it's like the flipper half-flips, the next flip is always fine though. I agree with rosh that those two modes are tough enough as it is, don't think I've ever spelled SEANCE in order yet.

#4311 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I agree with Rosh that those two modes are tough enough as it is, don't think I've ever spelled SEANCE in order yet.

Same here. With all the balls flying around, never spelled seance in order yet.

#4312 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The magnets work amazingly well I think, I've had it do stuff I've never seen any other game with magnets do.

I'm pretty pleased with the magnet action. Took a while to get the desired behavior (I like the 'med' setting).

Also pleased right now with the shaker activity, I think it is used enough to accent play without becoming over used. Not saying I am not evaluating other uses for it, but seems pretty balanced now.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Same here. With all the balls flying around, never spelled seance in order yet.

I have done it a few times, it is close to impossible to do it on the first jackpot, since the balls being put into play with often trigger the 'N' on a bounce off the ESC targets. After first jackpot you need to cradle one or two and play with just one to do it, btw, if you have all three balls still in play, the jackpot is worth double, if you had stacked another MB and have six balls in play, it is 5X (and I think if that happens the machine might self destruct)

This morning while sitting in a meeting I made some changes with trunk MB and seance ball saves, that should make most of you happy.

Quoted from bobukcat:

Sometimes I do think the magnets are affecting the flipper, usually the left.

The magnet activity when all three are in use is timed such that it balances the activations to minimize any power impacts. However, hitting the magic stand-ups at that time might impact it slightly, I have not noticed it, I'll keep a lookout for it.

#4313 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

This morning while sitting in a meeting I made some changes with trunk MB and seance ball saves, that should make most of you happy.

Something useful came out of a meeting?!?!

#4314 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

New code ETA? Will it have more shaker motor code?

#4315 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Sometimes I do think the magnets are affecting the flipper, usually the left. I don't know if it's power related (the flipper gets weaker because of the magnets drawing power) or magnetic field related but it's like the flipper half-flips

I can confirm this happens on my game as well, though I feel it much more frequently after the scoop kicks the ball out. The scoop seems to have a considerable variation in its strength, but when it kicks I do feel the left flipper is momentarily under-powered. A half-flip is a good way to describe it. It’s just like in Dialed In when you get “attacked” and the flipper goes all floppy.

The good news is it hardly ever matters, I don’t believe I’ve ever had a drain as a direct result, just feels a little weird.

#4316 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The magnets work amazingly well I think, I've had it do stuff I've never seen any other game with magnets do. Lots of times in Seance and Man from Beyond there are really crazy "stop and slide" moments when the ball is approaching the flipper and just suddenly jukes ya out. Sometimes I do think the magnets are affecting the flipper, usually the left. I don't know if it's power related (the flipper gets weaker because of the magnets drawing power) or magnetic field related but it's like the flipper half-flips, the next flip is always fine though. I agree with Rosh that those two modes are tough enough as it is, don't think I've ever spelled SEANCE in order yet.

If you or anyone ever spells SEANCE in order, then you better buy a LOTTO ticket that night!

#4317 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Something useful came out of a meeting?!?!

My office doubles as a conference room, so most meetings I just stay at my desk and work on stuff not requiring much thought.

Quoted from PinMonk:

New code ETA? Will it have more shaker motor code?

I hope to wrap up the code this week, depends on game 2 demands, then we will do testing here for a couple of days, then I'll look for a couple of beta testers. As far as shaker, off the top of my head not sure, hard to remember what is in this release vs the last, I'd have to check the list and that is not always 100% regardless. There are 40+ items on the change list, so not looking through it now

#4318 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

My office doubles as a conference room, so most meetings I just stay at my desk and work on stuff not requiring much thought.

I hope to wrap up the code this week, depends on game 2 demands, then we will do testing here for a couple of days, then I'll look for a couple of beta testers. As far as shaker, off the top of my head not sure, hard to remember what is in this release vs the last, I'd have to check the list and that is not always 100% regardless. There are 40+ items on the change list, so not looking through it now

In my experience, liberal ball saves (20+ secs) on challenging games and modes, are the bread and butter of the novice player.

Having liberal adjustments for novices in the settings menu are very important.

At $1 a game people need time to have fun in order to make it worth putting another dollar in.

#4319 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

PLEASE add a menu item that lets you easily CLEAR CREDITS that also clears partial money. For example if someone has put in 50 cents, the credits are 0, but there's a 1/2 credit. Houdini doesn't display partial credits B/W style, so "CLEAR CREDITS" would clear any credits to 0 and any partial credit money to $0.00. Right now even clearing credits is a pain. A B/W style menu option would make that much easier.

#4320 5 years ago

Your office is the conference room!

#4321 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Your office is the conference room! HA

#4322 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I hope to wrap up the code this week, depends on game 2 demands,

So are you coding the second game already? Working on specific Beer drinking modes or just the basic foundation?

#4323 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Don’t let us rush you! Whenever I start getting in my head that I “need” to get code out because people are asking, I make mistakes.

#4324 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

PLEASE add a menu item that lets you easily CLEAR CREDITS that also clears partial money. For example if someone has put in 50 cents, the credits are 0, but there's a 1/2 credit. Houdini doesn't display partial credits B/W style, so "CLEAR CREDITS" would clear any credits to 0 and any partial credit money to $0.00. Right now even clearing credits is a pain. A B/W style menu option would make that much easier.

Credits can be cleared now via settings under pricing, while not super quick to get to, (service -> settings -> pricing -> credits), but how often are you clearing credits?

Partial credits get wiped out 60 seconds after the last coin was inserted and partial credits only show when in attract mode.

Quoted from vicjw66:

So are you coding the second game already? Working on specific Beer drinking modes or just the basic foundation?

A lot happens with a machine before code is written, a lot of code gets written before things happen with the machine. I drink Tequila not beer.

#4325 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I drink Tequila not beer.

Pee Wee’s Big Adventure Pinball confirmed!

C97B370B-DF91-4753-BC3A-6E2B888CA2CA (resized).pngC97B370B-DF91-4753-BC3A-6E2B888CA2CA (resized).png
#4326 5 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Pee Wee’s Big Adventure Pinball confirmed!

That would actually be pretty cool and Oh so much content.

#4327 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

That would actually be pretty cool and Oh so much content.

Tissue dispenser mod...

#4328 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Tissue dispenser mod...

Lol. Plus hearing "I know you are but what am I" after every drain would be funny.

#4329 5 years ago

Btw, Houdini has made it to France . . .

https://www.facebook.com/zpeakabonks/posts/892605694276354

#4330 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Credits can be cleared now via settings under pricing, while not super quick to get to, (service -> settings -> pricing -> credits), but how often are you clearing credits?

Pretty often. Drunk/dumb people are dropping a single or two quarters in and walking away at least once a week. Sometimes it clears because the next person is smart enough to stop adding money when they get a credit after less than a dollar, but that doesn't happen often.

Quoted from rosh:

Partial credits get wiped out 60 seconds after the last coin was inserted and partial credits only show when in attract mode.

It is NOT working like this on the current software release. Partial money shows up until more money completes it or until it is cleared. An auto clear of orphaned money after 10 minutes would be great. 60 seconds seems a little short.

#4331 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

Is it landing short or long?

I cannot tell because it ends up somewhere on the left too fast. I just thought it might be a common issue after the update and someone could tell me what power adjustments they found that had to be changed on the catapault as well as the other coils.

#4332 5 years ago

60 seconds is way too short. There are occasions when you put a quarter in only to find it is your last one. Then you run to the coin machine, which might have someone taking their time trying to put a well weathered bill in that gets repeatedly rejected.

#4333 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

60 seconds is way too short. There are occasions when you put a quarter in only to find it is your last one. Then you run to the coin machine which might have someone taking their time trying to put a well weathered bill in, that gets repeatedly rejected.

My thoughts exactly. At the location the Houdini I help with is at, it's in a back room, some distance from the bar, and if people come up short on quarters, I can see them being away at the bar in the other room getting change for 2-3 minutes easy. I think 10 minutes is a good time before clearing. But yeah, auto-clear would be awesome.

#4334 5 years ago

I love how you have the time played after game ends. Would it be possible to implement one where it shows average amount of points per flip?

#4335 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The magnet activity when all three are in use is timed such that it balances the activations to minimize any power impacts. However, hitting the magic stand-ups at that time might impact it slightly, I have not noticed it, I'll keep a lookout for it.

I’m a new owner, won the Houdini from the NW show so this is my first real time playing it. I am loving the game but my last three games have been almost infuriating, I feel like I’m constantly fighting the magnets with my left flipper, especially in the heat of multiball. I didn’t notice it much my first 10 games or so, maybe I just had bad luck with it a couple of games in a row.

#4336 5 years ago
Quoted from enkiktd:

More
I’m a new owner, won the Houdini from the NW show so this is my first real time playing it. I am loving the game but my last three games have been almost infuriating, I feel like I’m constantly fighting the magnets with my left flipper, especially in the heat of multiball. I didn’t notice it much my first 10 games or so, maybe I just had bad luck with it a couple of games in a row.

What is the setting on it?

#4337 5 years ago
Quoted from enkiktd:

I’m a new owner, won the Houdini from the NW show ...

Very cool - congrats!

#4338 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

More
What is the setting on it?

I’m not actually sure if it is the magnet, it seems to be increasing in frequency. About every 5th flip on the left side is anemic.

#4339 5 years ago

My trunk shot was also 100% until about the last 10 games, now it’s throwing short or a little to the right. Sometimes dunks into the ramp!

#4340 5 years ago
Quoted from enkiktd:

My trunk shot was also 100% until about the last 10 games, now it’s throwing short or a little to the right. Sometimes dunks into the ramp!

You may want to check the catapult, sounds like it's wiggled loose a bit

#4341 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

then I'll look for a couple of beta testers

You can count on me!
-Rob

#4342 5 years ago

I had an amazing game going last night, ended up with 4X Milkcan Multiplier lit and SEANCE, Trunk MB and Man From Beyond all ready. Hit the inner loop to start MFB and Trunk, managed to free Houdini while hitting a couple jackpots and then blew it big time. I was so mad at myself but my score (first ball) went from about 200K to over 900K in seconds, I did end up with a new high for me of about 1.65M but I know it could have been SO much higher. I did cuss Josh at one point when I couldn't see what the hell was going on during that mad light show but it was all good natured cussing, I love this game! I've been tempted to install one of my PinStadium kits just to see how insane it makes it during that mode but I don't think the game really needs a lot of help in that department and I play in a pretty dark room.

#4343 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I had an amazing game going last night, ended up with 4X Milkcan Multiplier lit and SEANCE, Trunk MB and Man From Beyond all ready. Hit the inner loop to start MFB and Trunk, managed to free Houdini while hitting a couple jackpots and then blew it big time. I was so mad at myself but my score (first ball) went from about 200K to over 900K in seconds, I did end up with a new high for me of about 1.65M but I know it could have been SO much higher. I did cuss Josh at one point when I couldn't see what the hell was going on during that mad light show but it was all good natured cussing, I love this game! I've been tempted to install one of my PinStadium kits just to see how insane it makes it during that mode but I don't think the game really needs a lot of help in that department and I play in a pretty dark room.

I love the MFB mode and especially the light show when you get the 3rd ball into play. The call outs could be better to let you know another ball is coming and maybe a 1-2 sec pause before the ball is released because I often drain trying to gain control and there is NO ball save. It's hard to get all 3 balls going without stacking a MB but if you do it's very exciting! A little ball save when adding a ball into play would be nice

#4344 5 years ago

I just had an crazy good game. I have the game on 5 ball but for you 3 ball players I hit 4.1 M on my 3rd ball. Got to the FILM Binge (which is VERY cool) at the same time I hit 3rd lock on Trunk MB and my score jumped from 1.5M to 4.1M. I didn't know FILM Binge kicks another ball into play when you complete some shots. Not quite sure how or why but just keep hitting the blue shots.

I took some photos after the end of ball 3 and my last 2 balls totally sucked. Might have jinx myself by taking pictures

20180613_120025 (resized).jpg20180613_120025 (resized).jpg20180613_120025-1 (resized).jpg20180613_120025-1 (resized).jpg20180613_120336 (resized).jpg20180613_120336 (resized).jpg

#4345 5 years ago

Never noticed .. "Ball in play#"

#4346 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Never noticed .. "Ball in play#"

I love the light bulbs representing ball in play on right side of scoring screen.

#4348 5 years ago

I will be speaking at ReplayFX.. If you are there stop on by, maybe I will be so nervous I will accidentally blurt out everything I know about Game 2.

https://replayfx.org/appearances/

#4349 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I will be speaking at ReplayFX.. If you are there stop on by, maybe I will be so nervous I will accidentally blurt out everything I know about Game 2.
https://replayfx.org/appearances/

I had the pleasure of attending American Pinball's presentation at the NW Show last weekend.

Most memorable quote: "Oktoberfest will be our best game yet!"

... or something like that

#4350 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I had the pleasure of attending American Pinball's presentation at the NW Show last weekend.
Most memorable quote: "Oktoberfest will be our best game yet!"
... or something like that

Too funny! Game 2 will be "Kick Ass"! You can quote me on that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.