Topic Stats

• 9,553 posts
  • 549 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by pinballinreno
  • Topic is favorited by 145 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,299 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

589BC2EF-C561-42E0-92EF-8B67A39956E5 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
3C660ABA-6E8C-43B6-85D5-6B33118E38BF (resized).jpeg
62EFECC8-BA9D-4D79-A02A-68A53AD5CD9A (resized).jpeg
7A6116FD-9304-4713-AD7B-F0E6195CF6F4 (resized).jpeg
39DBC57E-15D6-4F96-B05E-9D3421D61A38 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190820_202241 (resized).jpg
20190820_202141 (resized).jpg
20190820_202203 (resized).jpg
20190820_215958 (resized).jpg
DA11DAC5-DB21-422A-927B-25CB029731CE (resized).jpeg
A180D515-A4B6-4430-A10E-2AA29E5C2A90 (resized).jpeg
4A525FA5-9F12-47C3-A3B7-97D4D986C6D1 (resized).jpeg
Houdini Haldane (resized).jpg
IMG_20190810_190510 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 9553 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 192.
#4201 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Make sure the bill cartridge isn't a 500

If you look that one up on Google, that is a 500 capacity cartridge.

LTG : )

#4202 1 year ago

Im no electrical engineer but Australia runs on 230 volts 50hz. I have no idea of it matters or not.

#4203 1 year ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Set mine up yesterday and the catapult is shooting right of the trunk. Any direction on what to look at? The catapult itself doesn’t appear centred, should it be or off to one side slightly?

I had this exact same problem. Loosened the screws that hold the catapault mechanism to the playfield, moved the mechanism a fraction the other way and held it there firmly while retightening the screws. Now, every shot is center trunk!

#4204 1 year ago

Or install an old style Rowe. It will keep taking bills till the cabinets full.

#4205 1 year ago

Modfather you rock! Custom cup

20180603_003005.jpg20180603_003027.jpg
#4206 1 year ago

I chatted with Barry a couple weeks ago and already have some odds and ends getting dealt with. As a pilot I'm a firm believer in redundancy. Therefore I've emailed, called and posted online. That said, the help email doesn't kickback a ticket, case number or confirmation email to verify it has been received. I was also hoping someone could chime in to say what board is driving this particular LED strip so I can start to troubleshoot over the weekend. Start with the east things like output voltage and connector seating. Already tried to follow the harness and haven't found the end.

#4207 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Already tried to follow the harness and haven't found the end.

Understood. Hope someone with a game can assist you.

#4208 1 year ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Im no electrical engineer but Australia runs on 230 volts 50hz. I have no idea of it matters or not.

240v actually and even more in Western Australia almost 250v

#4209 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

I chatted with Barry a couple weeks ago and already have some odds and ends getting dealt with. As a pilot I'm a firm believer in redundancy. Therefore I've emailed, called and posted online. That said, the help email doesn't kickback a ticket, case number or confirmation email to verify it has been received. I was also hoping someone could chime in to say what board is driving this particular LED strip so I can start to troubleshoot over the weekend. Start with the east things like output voltage and connector seating. Already tried to follow the harness and haven't found the end.

Im willing to bet its not a board issue for your led strip. My best guess is connectors at either end. The black shrinkwrap off of led strip on backboard is hiding the connector to the strip. A good ball hit could loosen it. Second wires come out the back are a yellow and orange/black. They dont go far, about 20 inches under playfield to connector pictured below. Try reseating both ends.

20180603_074201 (resized).jpg20180603_074251 (resized).jpg20180603_074314 (resized).jpg
#4210 1 year ago

Ive been getting tons of ball hits just left of the trunk due to the ball changing direction by glancing off the clear ramp and completely missing the trunk. Its happened so much the paint on the wood is starting to lighten. If you look in this pic you'll see just under the yellow wire and to the left of the "HH" you'll see the edges are now lighter from paint loss. So that'll be first place to look is under that shrink wrap. The larger connector after that is good.

As for the ball deflections im going to have to try to adjust that catapult assembly again. I may have to oblong the mounting holes to pull the assembly back 1/16-1/8 so it will maintain the arc but be able to clear the ramp. Its such minor contact but enough to steer it left several degrees. Ive also considered cutting the ramp mounting post down slightly to make the same clearance but im concerned it would affect the early drain hole above the pops.

IMG_0751 (resized).JPG
#4211 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Ive been getting tons of ball hits just left of the trunk due to the ball changing direction by glancing off the clear ramp and completely missing the trunk. Its happened so much the paint on the wood is starting to lighten. If you look in this pic you'll see just under the yellow wire and to the left of the "HH" you'll see the edges are now lighter from paint loss. So that'll be first place to look is under that shrink wrap. The larger connector after that is good.
As for the ball deflections im going to have to try to adjust that catapult assembly again. I may have to oblong the mounting holes to pull the assembly back 1/16-1/8 so it will maintain the arc but be able to clear the ramp. Its such minor contact but enough to steer it left several degrees. Ive also considered cutting the ramp mounting post down slightly to make the same clearance but im concerned it would affect the early drain hole above the pops.

What happens when you increase the catapult power by 1?

#4212 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

More

Just 1?

#4213 1 year ago

It never gets old............

#4214 1 year ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

It never gets old............

Plus would be an Awesome Pin! Any Monty Python direction would work worldwide....

#4215 1 year ago

It’s... wafer thin!

#4216 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Barry!
My led strip died, started to flicker with flippers and then stopped. checked obvious connections but not sure where it terminates. All the other lighting appears ok. Also powered down and unplugged for about 20 mins with no change.

Check to make sure the black and yellow wires going to the LED Strip didn't get pulled out.

b4331806eef90fad3fb7962d48a76ae50e93c09a_LI (resized).jpg
#4217 1 year ago

Has anyone heard any updates on the unpredictable scoop coil lately? This is definitely a thing

#4218 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Placed my order for Cliffy's Protectors today!
Pics to follow when they arrive!

Where to buy?

#4219 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anyone heard any updates on the unpredictable scoop coil lately? This is definitely a thing

I increased the power on mine a few times. Seems to be holding.

#4220 1 year ago

Had never seen that before. Hahaha. That's a hilarious skit.

#4221 1 year ago
Quoted from Time4akshun:

I increased the power on mine a few times. Seems to be holding.

That's good to know; I had been decreasing mine, but it is now all over the place! Sometimes it just barely creeps out, and sometimes it's a rocket!! LOL I'll try increasing it; had not considered that.

#4222 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Had never seen that before. Hahaha. That's a hilarious skit.

There are a fair number of classic Monty Python scenes from their show and movies. That is a great one.

#4225 1 year ago

Where to buy?
</blockquote

Be patient , he's up to his ears busy!
Has a couple more items coming soon as well for Houdini !

#4226 1 year ago

While playing, got a blue screen and the pin rebooted. Don’t remember exactly what was going on - talking with a friend while playing. I’ll send the log files to AP, but I’m curious if anyone’s had this experience.

#4227 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The scoop is my only major issue. I had it try 4 times with no success on putting the ball out, once. Had to reboot. Sometimes it works OK then it may struggle to put the ball out. I did increase my flippers power by 1 and I had my second Million plus game. Coincidence?

#4228 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogman:

While playing, got a blue screen and the pin rebooted. Don’t remember exactly what was going on - talking with a friend while playing. I’ll send the log files to AP, but I’m curious if anyone’s had this experience.

Wow, like the Windows blue screen? Known by some as the BSOD, Blue Screen of Death

#4229 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

More

It smokes the top of the trunk or above but doesn't go left

#4230 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Current software?

#4231 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Mine rebooted once so far during a 4 player game.
I haven't checked the game over yet though, to make sure nothing is loose.

#4232 1 year ago
Quoted from drummermike:

The scoop is my only major issue. I had it try 4 times with no success on putting the ball out, once. Had to reboot. Sometimes it works OK then it may struggle to put the ball out. I did increase my flippers power by 1 and I had my second Million plus game. Coincidence?

I decreased my flippers until I could just barely backhand the ramp from the right flipper. Made a world of difference; I feel like I have bettter control now and the ball isn't going nuts crashing into stuff. Still not sure what to do with that scoop though!

#4233 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Yes - I have had a few reboots. I sent the logs each time.

#4234 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogman:

I have only had one other report of a crash/reboot since the last code went out. Please send me the logs josh@american-pinball.com

#4235 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

I have only had one other report of a crash/reboot since the last code went out. Please send me the logs josh@american-pinball.com

I'm using the latest code. Will send. Thanks.

#4236 1 year ago

I've had no reboots and zero scoop eject issues. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones!

The only thing I've noticed is sometimes there is a delay switching between modes or screens, like 1-2 seconds, where that didn't happen on the early code. I am running latest code and that was the first time I noticed the lag every now and then. Also the ball still hanging up behind the planchette.
I'm pretty sure I can use of the suggestions on here to wire tie those cables to the side. Just not a priority yet.

My better half is really starting to appreciate the game as I am too after owning for a couple months. That says something positive if she asks to pplay Houdini first in my collection. Usually it's Bride of Pinbot or Metallica.

I was on the fence after buying it for a first few weeks because of my "bricking" of shots but play better was my solution.
And she has figured it out too.

Gotta hit those shots like a surgeon with finesse.

As I posted before, don't expect to "Gorilla Flip" those flippers and score like a conventional pin. Lots of strategy involved
to get a good score.

#4237 1 year ago

FYI, the up-post that diverts to the VUK leading to the trunk is not secured with a pin, but just pressed into the metal housing. It WILL eventually come loose from the up motion and the ball hitting it. "Eventually" was this week for the one we have on location, after about 4 months of play. Easy fix, just pound it back in, but I was just surprised at the lack of a cross-pin to secure it.

IMG_4182 (resized).JPG
#4238 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Easy fix, just pound it back in, but I was just surprised at the lack of a cross-pin to secure it.

Easy to drill a hole through and install a small pin. Or place a small piece of tape across the hole and bang that sucker in. Never coming out.

#4239 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Easy to drill a hole through and install a small pin. Or place a small piece of tape across the hole and bang that sucker in. Never coming out.

Next time it comes out, I'll try the tape.

#4240 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I've had no reboots and zero scoop eject issues. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones!
The only thing I've noticed is sometimes there is a delay switching between modes or screens, like 1-2 seconds, where that didn't happen on the early code. I am running latest code and that was the first time I noticed the lag every now and then. Also the ball still hanging up behind the planchette.
I'm pretty sure I can use of the suggestions on here to wire tie those cables to the side. Just not a priority yet.
My better half is really starting to appreciate the game as I am too after owning for a couple months. That says something positive if she asks to pplay Houdini first in my collection. Usually it's Bride of Pinbot or Metallica.
I was on the fence after buying it for a first few weeks because of my "bricking" of shots but play better was my solution.
And she has figured it out too.
Gotta hit those shots like a surgeon with finesse.
As I posted before, don't expect to "Gorilla Flip" those flippers and score like a conventional pin. Lots of strategy involved
to get a good score.

I have also noticed the lag between the modes a few times with the new current code. Not a big concern for me though.

#4241 1 year ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I have also noticed the lag between the modes a few times with the new current code.

I made a change to the way modes start at the stage. The sequencing was off relative to how the fanfare, music, speech, animations, lightshows are supposed to flow, so that was adjusted. There will be some minor tweaks in the next update. In a couple of cases the fanfares are missing, so it makes it seem longer.

#4242 1 year ago

Ive noticed during water escape that the volume is low when he says shoot "left or right orbit". Also the volume for "extra ball" seems low as well.

Extra ball could use a little more flare in how its said or brought out in such a way that its noticed more. My T2 has a great light show for extra ball. TZ pauses the game and has the talking doll drop it off in DMD animations. it seems to me that when when extra ball is announced he seems a little unenthusiastic. which leads me to the excitement in his voice when saying jackpot or amazing. Those have a great impact and more would be better.

#4243 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Ive noticed during water escape that the volume is low when he says shoot "left or right orbit". Also the volume for "extra ball" seems low as well.
Extra ball could use a little more flare in how its said or brought out in such a way that its noticed more. My T2 has a great light show for extra ball. TZ pauses the game and has the talking doll drop it off in DMD animations. it seems to me that when when extra ball is announced he seems a little unenthusiastic. which leads me to the excitement in his voice when saying jackpot or amazing. Those have a great impact and more would be better.

I love the Jackpot!! callouts, they are hilarious compared to the more period-appropriate callouts in the rest of the game

#4244 1 year ago

My favorite call-out (so far) is during the jail break where he threatens to beat you with his shillelagh. My wife and I have now adopted this phrase especially when the game is extra brutal.

#4245 1 year ago

Hearing that word always reminds me of one of my favorite Family Guy quotes:

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/family-guy/my-drunken-irish-dad/

#4246 1 year ago

I'm a semi-pro magician and I've just acquired a Houdini. Got it set up today and seems to be working great. But I do have a couple of questions.

1. There's a little bit of "play" in the front panel, even when it's locked into position. Is this normal?

2. I'm wondering about Attract mode. I have both Attract Sounds and Attract Music enabled, but I'm hearing almost nothing...no music, and a bit of speech maybe every 8-10 minutes or so. Is this normal?

I'm running the current version of the code -- v18.5.4.

Thanks for any information!

Josh

#4247 1 year ago
Quoted from Josho:

I'm a semi-pro magician and I've just acquired a Houdini. Got it set up today and seems to be working great. But I do have a couple of questions.

Josh- Welcome to Pinside! Congrats on getting a Houdini!

Quoted from Josho:

1. There's a little bit of "play" in the front panel, even when it's locked into position. Is this normal?

Yes. It's normal for this pin. The lockdown bar has a slight play. It's a cabinet thing discussed a few pages back. However, you can place a couple rubber tabs left and right on the bar itself to reduce the movement.

Quoted from Josho:

2. I'm wondering about Attract mode. I have both Attract Sounds and Attract Music enabled, but I'm hearing almost nothing...no music, and a bit of speech maybe every 8-10 minutes or so. Is this normal?

So far that is all there is. More code updates to come, very easy to update with a USB stick. Standby for that attract music. Rosh on this forum is the programmer. Maybe he can chime in, but I'm sure there's more to come soon.
Just so Happens, His real name is Josh as well.

#4248 1 year ago
Quoted from Josho:

Thanks for any information!
Josh

If you take off the front panel you will notice two screws underneath the panel. turn both screws CW a half turn, reinsert panel repeat until you are happy with it.

Attract sounds ... Machine will speak/read Houdini facts. On the monitor in attract mode every time a Houdini fact is shown the machine will read it.

#4249 1 year ago

Eric,

Thank you so much for the quick response!

The play in the panel doesn't bother me much, I wouldn't necessarily put in tabs unless it might be necessary to reduce wear-and-tear.

Good to know that things are operating normally WRT the attract mode. I did do the update -- as you said, it was certainly easy. Kind of a pleasure, really.

I watched Josh on an episode of SDTM when I was trying to figure out which pin to get (although Houdini was really kind of a no-brainer for me). It's great to know he's on the board and participating in the thread!

Best regards,
Josh

#4250 1 year ago
Quoted from Josho:

If you're talking left to right play in the lockdown bar, it's discussed here (along with solution suggestion):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/72#post-4382927

Quoted from Josho:

Yep. You currently just get a Houdini quote every now and then.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 119.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 9553 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 192.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside