20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 297.
#4051 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Here is a little secret, when you shoot stage alley or key lane, the pops are disabled for around 100 milliseconds or until the first hit of skirt, then they go live, this makes those shots through the pops a touch easier as nip of the edge of one skirt does not hose you.

I suggesting opening a ticket and Barry can work with you to see if something else needs to be adjusted relative to the trajectory of the ball.

Wow with out knowing that is hard to pickup.

#4052 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Here is a little secret, when you shoot stage alley or key lane, the pops are disabled for around 100 milliseconds or until the first hit of skirt, then they go live, this makes those shots through the pops a touch easier as nip of the edge of one skirt does not hose you.

I suggesting opening a ticket and Barry can work with you to see if something else needs to be adjusted relative to the trajectory of the ball.

That’s great thinking Rosh! My particular issue was on the outside of the pops so just a quick leaf adjustment and we were back in business

#4053 5 years ago

Got Magic Glass today. I have 5 Invisiglass in other pins. The MG is slightly better under my lights. The MG is flawless in appearance.
Played today and had an issue with the scoop. It usually works OK. It tried to put ball out 4 times then stopped. Had to reboot. Coil was set on 7, tried on 8(NG) and is now on 9. No other pins were on. Everything else is working great!
Houdini plays like my Williams pins and I like that. It is my favorite at this moment.

#4054 5 years ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Hi Guys:
I have played a few games on Houdini and am really trying to love it but I am 'on the fence' about buying one. I love the theme, art, LCD and toys but the gameplay didn't grab me. Having said that, I didn't know the rules, so was just shooting the balls around.
There seems to be quite a number coming up for sale or trade, with very low plays, here and in other pinball groups.
In hindsight, would all or most of you buy Houdini again, after owning it for a while?
No flames, please. Just helpful, honest, opinions will help me decide.
Thanks so much.
Roger

Hi Guys:

Thanks so much to all who responded.

I will shortly be ordering a Houdini, thanks to all your great reviews.

Roger

#4055 5 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Wow with out knowing that is hard to pickup.

That's what we want, to help them player without it looking like something odd is going on.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s great thinking Rosh! My particular issue was on the outside of the pops so just a quick leaf adjustment and we were back in business

Early on we were not happy with what we are getting as far as it making in through consistently, but after the tweaks were made between prototype and production it did not seem to be as much of an issue and we tried it without it for a bit, and it seemed like you could more consistently make the shots, but I decided to put it back in, to give the player a little more help. The Stage Alley shot to start modes with 2X scoring is pretty important.

Quoted from drummermike:

Played today and had an issue with the scoop.

What version of code are you on?

#4056 5 years ago

Had Seance on with one letter left to hit (E). Return from Beyond lit. Ball drained on the left and I was expecting Return from Beyond, but got ball over instead. We're on the current software.

#4057 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

That's what we want, to help them player without it looking like something odd is going on.

Early on we were not happy with what we are getting as far as it making in through consistently, but after the tweaks were made between prototype and production it did not seem to be as much of an issue and we tried it without it for a bit, and it seemed like you could more consistently make the shots, but I decided to put it back in, to give the player a little more help. The Stage Alley shot to start modes with 2X scoring is pretty important.

What version of code are you on?

18-5-4

#4058 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Had Seance on with one letter left to hit (E). Return from Beyond lit. Ball drained on the left and I was expecting Return from Beyond, but got ball over instead. We're on the current software.

When it hit the left outlane it was still thinking you were in MB since it had not yet processed the center drain. And obviously if in MB it would not give return

The lamp should be off at that point, so I need to look at that.

#4059 5 years ago

One other issue I am seeing fairly consistently is the catapult shot detection - I hit the inner right loop shot, the VUK kicks it up, it rolls through the wire form and lands in the milk can catapult - then the game just sits there. And sits there.. and .. then ball search and the catapult then tries the throw. No dimming of the lights, just bam! Throw.

Anyone else have this? I have checked the switch and it works fine with my finger and the ball -

#4060 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

One other issue I am seeing fairly consistently is the catapult shot detection - I hit the inner right loop shot, the VUK kicks it up, it rolls through the wire form and lands in the milk can catapult - then the game just sits there. And sits there.. and .. then ball search and the catapult then tries the throw. No dimming of the lights, just bam! Throw.
Anyone else have this? I have checked the switch and it works fine with my finger and the ball -

Sounds like the switch is intermittent. Try dropping the ball in while in switch test mode to test it in a more "real world" way.

#4061 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have not seen that behavior.

#4062 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sounds like the switch is intermittent. Try dropping the ball in while in switch test mode to test it in a more "real world" way.

Have done this; that’s what I meant by testing ok with the ball. I can not get the switch to NOT_ register so if it’s intermittent I am having trouble replicating the
experience

#4063 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Nope. We have three on the same circuit and Houdini's catapult/VUK shots are rock solid. At least a 98% completion rate.
Sounds like you may have borderline low house power or an older house with older wiring. Have you put a meter on your wall outlets when multiple pins are on and plugged into the same circuit?

Actually, the opposite. I’ve got 600A service and 10kW of solar... which might actually be a factor. When the sun is out the voltage in the house goes up a few volts. It’s likely I set the catapult etc during the day, and at night with another pin on the same circuit is probably a 8-10V change. I’ll go measure it.

#4064 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Actually, the opposite. I’ve got 600A service and 10kW of solar... which might actually be a factor. When the sun is out the voltage on the house goes up a few volts. It’s likely I set the catapult etc during the day, and at night with another pin on the same circuit is probably a 8-10V change. I’ll go measure it.

Isn't solar supposed to have a regulator to keep the power in a tighter range? 8-10V swing is a LOT.

#4065 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Isn't solar supposed to have a regulator to keep the power in a tighter range? 8-10V swing is a LOT.

The solar inverters must operate at a voltage slightly above the voltage coming in from the grid transformer. That’s how you force the current to flow away from the inverters and use the power from solar first before drawing current from the grid. When I upgraded my service to 600A, the utility also upgraded the transformer. As a result the voltage coming into the house is slightly hot (244-245v). I’ll take some measurements.

#4066 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

How long do you have to get he ball from the Stage Ally to the Stage to get 2x scoring for the illusion? Does it have to be a totally clean shot to get 2x? If it gets caught in the pops for a second or 2 you seem to lose the doubler.

#4067 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

How long do you have to get he ball from the Stage Ally to the Stage to get 2x scoring for the illusion? Does it have to be a totally clean shot to get 2x? If it gets caught in the pops for a second or 2 you seem to lose the doubler.

My assumption was always that no other switches could be triggered for it to count but it sounds like you could activate a pop switch along the way as long as it's inside the 100 milliseconds they are disabled.

#4068 5 years ago

SO,as some of you have been reading my attempt to obtain a Houdini from JJ at GEX has not been fun!!My story: 2 weeks ago,JJ called and said my pin with shaker,M glass and art blades was ready! I paid in full next day($7595)! So far,my pin has been on the dock here now for 4 days,and I can;t get through to anyone to get it to my house!!Apparently,nobody gives a F..k that this freight is just sitting there!I have had many pins delivered to my house ,and never been so forgotten!This sucks! There is no explanation sastifactory,just BS stories! Good luck to the rest of you!!

#4069 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Apparently,nobody gives a F..k that this freight is just sitting there

I am sorry you are going through this. I will hope it gets resolved soon so you get your game and can enjoy it.

LTG : )

#4070 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Needs to be a clean shot, sometimes if it is really quick off the pop you will still get it.

Quoted from andrewket:

probably a 8-10V change

Yeah, that size of a drop is going to affect it. As I think I mentioned we are working on something to potentially help those with inconsitent line voltage power. Hopefully we will have more info on that soon.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Definitely sounds like a flaky switch. Open a ticket and Barry can work with you on a fix or a replacement for it.

Quoted from hawkmoon:

SO,as some of you have been reading my attempt to obtain a Houdini from JJ at GEX has not been fun!!

Lets take to this to PM and I'll see I can assist.

#4071 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So what I have seen is that the switch works fine with your finger and even when you put the ball in the catapult, the switch registers every time....BUT, in reality when the ball leaves the VUK and rolls down the wire ramp to the lower catapult, the ball rolls into the ball cradle, which is different from dropping the ball into it. Your switch lever / actuator needs to be raised up a bit, that's all.

I'm here for you 833-API-HELP

Shaker.pdfShaker.pdf

#4072 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So what I have seen is that the switch works fine with your finger and even when you put the ball in the catapult, the switch registers every time....BUT, in reality when the ball leaves the VUK and rolls down the wire ramp to the lower catapult, the ball rolls into the ball cradle, which is different from dropping the ball into it. Your switch lever / actuator needs to be raised up a bit, that's all.

#4073 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

That shot only works about 20% of the time. Usually the ball will hit between the stage and the magic shop. Is there something I should be doing to the rail along the 2x lane?

#4074 5 years ago

Anyone else ever get a 2 ball Trunk Multiball? It happens to me sometimes. Then I might get a 4 ball Seance.

#4075 5 years ago

SOOO,evidently,its the shipper S.A.I.A.has had it on their dock,and they are a big co.and home deliveries don't take priority! JJ again is on top of it! S.A.I.A.SUCKS

#4076 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

SOOO,evidently,its the shipper S.A.I.A.has had it on their dock,and they are a big co.and home deliveries don't take priority! JJ again is on top of it! S.A.I.A.SUCKS

Open all four sides of the box and inspect it thoroughly before you let them go.

You can always tape it back up if they dropped it or screwed it up in shipping.

Too many bad stories about casual and careless shippers in the last few months.

I absolutely hope for the best with your game and with mine coming up.

#4077 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

SO,as some of you have been reading my attempt to obtain a Houdini from JJ at GEX has not been fun!!My story: 2 weeks ago,JJ called and said my pin with shaker,M glass and art blades was ready! I paid in full next day($7595)! So far,my pin has been on the dock here now for 4 days,and I can;t get through to anyone to get it to my house!!Apparently,nobody gives a F..k that this freight is just sitting there!I have had many pins delivered to my house ,and never been so forgotten!This sucks! There is no explanation sastifactory,just BS stories! Good luck to the rest of you!!

Drive over there and be a pain in the ass until they give you a delivery day / time, or even better load it on the truck and follow you home!

#4078 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

That shot only works about 20% of the time. Usually the ball will hit between the stage and the magic shop. Is there something I should be doing to the rail along the 2x lane?

The flat rail should be resting right up to the rubber on the exit, if not you can adjust it so it and that you get the right trajectory. Not easy spot to get to it, but you can loosen the screw on the flat rail and make sure it is resting against the rubber. You may have to remove it to adjust the arc slightly and then re-install. If you have issues, call us and Barry can help walk you through it.

#4079 5 years ago

If you don't like modding please don't click on link below If you do check out my Houdini!

-Gold head trim, coin mechs, side cabinet screws, shooter rod, leg bolts, and coin door bolts.
-Gold flipper buttons w/ lit trim
-Start button and coin buttons changed to red
-Red LED Shooter assembly, LED Legs, and underlights.
-Back Alley Creations awesome color matched powder coated coin door.
-Pinstadium lighting
-PDI Glass
-Art Pin Blades
-Target Decals
-Shaker
-Plastic Protectors
-Super Shiney Balls
-Chamber Mod in Back corner
-Planchette Mod
-2 small custom Stand up Houdini Signs
-Houdini Tiltopper coming soon
-Custom Pin-Gulp coming Soon
-Pin-Gulp LED light "Volcano" coming soon
-Curved Houdini Sign for Top back box coming soon

**I always run a separate power supply to run my mods to not affect or burden the factory setup.**

**Mod makers I love you all for your ideas and hard work! Thanks for feeding my Moditis addiction lol
You rock!

PICS link below :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dbpro92teal14jm/AACnY3bjQKbdIgVaH1ROAa17a?dl=0

20180523_012408.jpg20180523_012408.jpg

#4080 5 years ago

BladeFury Looks good man.

#4081 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Thx guys! We are traveling for the holiday but I will check when we return on Monday night

#4082 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

**Mod makers I love you all for your ideas and hard work! Thanks for feeding my Moditis addiction lol You rock!

All you need to round this out is PinRemote™ under the hood! Administer this beautiful machine with your phone. See the Iron Transfer store on this site if you want to learn more or order.

I'm going for "Mod of the Year" with my invention and the word is getting out.

#4083 5 years ago

Found a sub and box combo in my collection that fits inside the cabinet perfectly. It looks like it doesn't clear the underside of the playfield but it has about 3/4 of space. The sound is so much better now and I can hear things in the music and other sound effects that I never did before. Also installed some of those multicolour LED kits from amazon. Both upgrades cost me a whopping $17.

IMG_0719 (resized).JPGIMG_0719 (resized).JPG

IMG_0720 (resized).JPGIMG_0720 (resized).JPG

#4084 5 years ago

Hey! Need help!

I lifted up playfield to Dialed in the left orbit. Perfect.
When I Went to pull down the PF, some wire got stuck on the lockbar. Since then the game is shooting balls in through as soon as I push start.

some wires were disconnected but easy to reconnect.

Can it be a fuse? Im a B/w guy. This game confuse me.
The pic with my finger on it is the one who got stuck and pulled out 2-3 more

286EFC53-440B-4297-AE86-22861C4EAFFD (resized).jpeg286EFC53-440B-4297-AE86-22861C4EAFFD (resized).jpeg

F4AC7416-41A2-475A-A2E1-C70A7EBB30A2 (resized).jpegF4AC7416-41A2-475A-A2E1-C70A7EBB30A2 (resized).jpeg

80FD5D18-A413-4A64-AF7D-63E34774E136 (resized).jpeg80FD5D18-A413-4A64-AF7D-63E34774E136 (resized).jpeg

FD4D4A03-134A-419F-B261-373AC56D4B7F (resized).jpegFD4D4A03-134A-419F-B261-373AC56D4B7F (resized).jpeg

9F66B43C-9092-4796-B4F1-BEB97DA3ABA0 (resized).jpeg9F66B43C-9092-4796-B4F1-BEB97DA3ABA0 (resized).jpeg

#4085 5 years ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

Since then the game is shooting balls in through as soon as I push start.

If you don't have too many balls in the game. I'd get ahold of rosh or Barry here or American Pinball tech support, to be sure you got the wires back in the right spots. And other possibilities.

LTG : )

#4086 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Anyone else ever get a 2 ball Trunk Multiball? It happens to me sometimes. Then I might get a 4 ball Seance.

Yes, the number of balls during various multiballs isnt always consistent. Also, during ball saves, sometimes i get one ball back after two or more drain. I think there might be some ball management code updates coming. rosh

#4087 5 years ago

Fun Shot I'm learning

#4088 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Fun Shot I'm learning
» YouTube video

I tell every customer of person in my booth at a show. Easiest way to make the shot!
Pincades
JT

#4089 5 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

I tell every customer of person in my booth at a show. Easiest way to make the shot!
Pincades
JT

I also want to point out that the milk can shot is MUCH easier than I thought, after learning to cradle it in the right flipper and gently hitting it at the tip of the flipper. I can make it about 6 tried out of 10 which is great for me; such an unusual shot!

#4090 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I also want to point out that the milk can shot is MUCH easier than I thought, after learning to cradle it in the right flipper and gently hitting it at the tip of the flipper. I can make it about 6 tried out of 10 which is great for me; such an unusual shot!

Now that is a tough shot - I need to practice it more.

#4091 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Fun Shot I'm learning
» YouTube video

Ive been practicing that lock shot for a month just like you. Im only at maybe 10%. Improved my milkcan considerably over time, maybe 50% succsess.

#4092 5 years ago

Houdini finally in the house!!!!Good pointers on that milk can shot!! Haven't been able to lock in that shot yet!! Mucho fun!!!!

#4093 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Houdini finally in the house!!!!Good pointers on that milk can shot!! Haven't been able to lock in that shot yet!! Mucho fun!!!!

Congratulations Hawk!
Glad it finally made it. What game number did you get?

#4094 5 years ago

Watching this Netflix show with my son called “Who Was” - it’s a kids-oriented history show with a very silly but (mostly) true biography of whomever... uh, was.

the episode he pops on is about Marie Curie, and Houdini! There’s a ton of scenes also in the game, including the elephant, metamorphosis, straitjacket, and Q!

#4095 5 years ago

Hi
While I’m trying to fix my problem with Josh, is someone would be kind enough to take a picture of their Driver boards (The two big boards that sit back to back un des PF are the driver boards.) I need to double check wiring and board leds.

Thsnks un advance
Lou

#4096 5 years ago

Lou. Think this is what your asking for?

20180528_161237 (resized).jpg20180528_161237 (resized).jpg

20180528_161520 (resized).jpg20180528_161520 (resized).jpg

#4097 5 years ago

Top pic is upper board by 3 magnets.
Bottom is lower board furthest away from player.

#4098 5 years ago

So no matter how we try we cannot back hand the lock shot off the right flipper. Checked the level on the machine with the iphone app, Left to right was good, Said to raise the back over 1" to get to 6.5 degrees. Did that. Game now plays faster, more airballs and still no back hand shot.

Any advice?

#4099 5 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

So no matter how we try we cannot back hand the lock shot off the right flipper. Checked the level on the machine with the iphone app, Left to right was good, Said to raise the back over 1" to get to 6.5 degrees. Did that. Game now plays faster, more airballs and still no back hand shot.
Any advice?

You really have to be very quick and. precise - where is it bricking? On the targets?

#4100 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Top pic is upper board by 3 magnets.
Bottom is lower board furthest away from player.

Thank you very much. If you still have a minute, can you confirm that you have the same red leds on your boards when Game is in attract mode (see pics).
Only weird thing is some of my wires are not routed as yours (purple/white/black). Mine is coming from the right. Anyway

Can you also take a pic of the board between both flippers?
It really helps!
Thsnks!!

4D749002-9D9F-44C2-B4AA-E3009C05DD56 (resized).jpeg4D749002-9D9F-44C2-B4AA-E3009C05DD56 (resized).jpeg

21FA1435-DC27-467F-9FAC-1E7DE864A04C (resized).jpeg21FA1435-DC27-467F-9FAC-1E7DE864A04C (resized).jpeg

B78F3F3A-5670-4463-ADEA-81E8E581A9BF (resized).jpegB78F3F3A-5670-4463-ADEA-81E8E581A9BF (resized).jpeg

55E79D8E-101C-475B-AF43-A5F688F8AA82 (resized).jpeg55E79D8E-101C-475B-AF43-A5F688F8AA82 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mclean, VA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/82?hl=genjuro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.