20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 297.
#301 7 years ago

I'd love to get a look at a Houdini in person. Like all pinball machines, they look even better in the flesh. The more I watch the videos and see the stills, the more the steampunk design is really growing on me.

#302 7 years ago

Will you guys be at the biggest show on the east coast PINFEST?

#303 7 years ago

Super excited your bringing the magic to PAGG!
Look forward to playing it and perhaps buy it in the year to come.

#304 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We are working through our show schedule and that is certainly one we are looking at. Our goal is to do our best to get to the bigger shows in each region of the country and certainly down the road we would like to get Houdini to the other side of the pond.

Southern Fried Game Expo is the biggest show in the Southeast, it's really a must.

#305 7 years ago

After playing the game at MGC I could get a minute per ball, the game was set for 2 balls. Played well.

#306 7 years ago

The two balls I played at MGC left a very positive impression. Game seems very well built, and designed. Definitely would like to play more once it's out.

#307 7 years ago

I'm in for one if it proves out to be fun and well programmed. The layout shots and toys are all good as far as I can tell and at 6999 that's a hell of a fair price for a full featured machine.

#308 7 years ago

Cool video someone posted from MGC

#309 7 years ago

After playing this at MGC, I was very impressed!

#310 7 years ago

I am surprised after MGC of the fan fare, I found the right side shots to just be too tight to be fun (maybe I just suck) and not a whole lot of shots. I was able to hit about 2 shots with any accuracy. Aside from that I need to hold off any real judgement till I get a shot to play a few more games on a hopefully refined second version/build.

Very impressive on where they have come in such a short time and excited to see what it holds, but as for now my first impression was mixed. It was not very fun to shoot (I played 3 games to give it a solid show chance and watched probably 15 other games played), but some cool code ideas (as expected since Rosh is full of neat code stuff) combined with what I think is a cool theme and possibilities. I am hoping they make some tweaks to help it shoot better and look forward to where this goes. The ball toss is a cool toy/mech/idea in action!

Good luck Rosh and looking forward to how your code progresses!

#311 7 years ago

I just love those pop bumpers with the chains, and the launching ball lock. I only played 1 game of Houdini and it was fun.

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I found the right side shots to just be too tight to be fun (maybe I just suck) and not a whole lot of shots.

I had to laugh to see that comment just two posts after the video clip that was posted, where the player hits that tight inner loop shot that feeds the catapult, twice in the first minute or two of play. One highlight of MGC, was watching a 10 year old, hit that shot three times on his first ball and start Trunk Multiball.

It is certainly a tight shot, but it is also certainly makable. What seems to happen is players will psych themselves out over how tight it is and it becomes a mental block even more than a skill thing. Like many machines, it takes a couple of games to get a feel for the shots. I know on EBD I will rarely ever have even a decent game when I first step up to it, but after two or three games I can finally get the feel for the shots (which is probably why it was a good earner on location back in the day). Houdini is a game with a challenging shots and that may not be for everyone. It is certainly not a game like LOTR or MM where most shots are easy to make and will typically feed right back to the flippers, nice and easy. At the same time, ball times are surprising long and a very large percentage of players get to seance multiball, so even a novice can have a fun time with it. Regardless, we will look at tweaking a few of the shots.

There are 9 primary shots, plus 6 very thin stand ups, between primary shots, that are directly facing the player and shootable from the flippers (and those 6 stand-ups get you to seance multiball), so plenty to shoot for. The left and right orbits and ramp, which are the easiest shots to make, currently, have minimal value, unless you are in a mode, which is where they get plenty of use and the modes are where the points are. I did adjust code during MGC to make it easier to start a mode. They are also involved in jackpots during two of the multiballs. I will be adding some additional value to those shots during non-mode game play. They are also key in extending the timer during modes.

#313 7 years ago

Rosh are you guys confirmed for PAGG this year? PNW? Anything west coast? I would love to try this out

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Rosh are you guys confirmed for PAGG this year? PNW? Anything west coast? I would love to try this out

Yes, PAGG has Dialed In, and Houdini lined up so far.
-mof

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

It is certainly not a game like LOTR or MM where most shots are easy to make and will typically feed right back to the flippers, nice and easy.

Curious.
How can you make this statement when you have two ez-mode spoon-feeding ramps right back into the inlanes?

How does this modern-style ball-return predictability help underscore the theme of escaping from impossible situations?

-mof

#316 7 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Cool video someone posted from MGC

I can't say it enough...game looks very cool and I can't wait to get my hands on one, at least to play for now. Josh, I already mailed you a "Pinfest or bust" bumper sticker.

#317 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Yes, PAGG has Dialed In, and Houdini lined up so far.
-mof

going out on a limb and saying Alien will not be there ?

#318 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Curious.
How can you make this statement when you have two ez-mode spoon-feeding ramps right back into the inlanes?
How does this modern-style ball-return predictability help underscore the theme of escaping from impossible situations?
-mof

I'm saying that those games have a majority of shots that then feed the ball nicely right back to the flippers, in MM, almost every single shot will send the ball safely back, heck, even fall backs from the ramps are set up to be sure they feed back nicely, and I think the pops also do that, can't remember for sure. The only risky shots are the castle gate/draw bridge and the trolls.

The return that feeds the right inlane, comes into play in only a few situations as it is a return from the upper catapult and that is only used during a couple of modes, or a sneak in to the upper vuk when lock is not lit, it is not a classic shoot this ramp and feed back to the inlane. The main ramp will feed the inlane and the lower left loop, just above the sling, is a tricky shot to hit, but it will also feed the inlane (but must be followed by a shot to the ramp to have any value to the player). There are three shots, the orbits and right scoop, that will feed past the slings to the flipper.

My experience in playing the game, is that it is not the easy flow of a MM, LOTR, RS, etc. so not saying no shots flow back, but it is not the type of game where you can sit back and just let the ball come to you and flip, not if you want to make the key shots it is a game that will require flipper skills (bounce passes, drop catch, chill, catch and shoot, etc. ) to get deep into the game.

#319 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

PAGG this year? PNW?

Right now we are we are trying to work through the logistics to be at both shows. Challenge is there are also a couple of east coast shows before or at the same time.

#320 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am surprised after MGC of the fan fare, I found the right side shots to just be too tight to be fun

How someone down votes a purely opinion post is beyond me. He makes no assertions or declarations, his post is totally subjective, and balanced with well wishing thoughts.

Boo and hiss... to down voting balanced opinion posts...

LOL

Mof

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I had to laugh to see that comment just two posts after the video clip that was posted, where the player hits that tight inner loop shot that feeds the catapult, twice in the first minute or two of play. One highlight of MGC, was watching a 10 year old, hit that shot three times on his first ball and start Trunk Multiball.

I was told that a 13 years old boy has just won PAPA 20

Quoted from rosh:

I'm saying that those games have a majority of shots that then feed the ball nicely right back to the flippers, in MM, almost every single shot will send the ball safely back, heck, even fall backs from the ramps are set up to be sure they feed back nicely, and I think the pops also do that, can't remember for sure. The only risky shots are the castle gate/draw bridge and the trolls.
The return that feeds the right inlane, comes into play in only a few situations as it is a return from the upper catapult and that is only used during a couple of modes, or a sneak in to the upper vuk when lock is not lit, it is not a classic shoot this ramp and feed back to the inlane. The main ramp will feed the inlane and the lower left loop, just above the sling, is a tricky shot to hit, but it will also feed the inlane (but must be followed by a shot to the ramp to have any value to the player). There are three shots, the orbits and right scoop, that will feed past the slings to the flipper.
My experience in playing the game, is that it is not the easy flow of a MM, LOTR, RS, etc. so not saying no shots flow back, but it is not the type of game where you can sit back and just let the ball come to you and flip, not if you want to make the key shots it is a game that will require flipper skills (bounce passes, drop catch, chill, catch and shoot, etc. ) to get deep into the game.

I agree, MM does not have very risky or tight shots. Both must be well rewarded for sure. But one of the MM's assets is its code and the way to get the most MB as possible and higher jackpots.
The code is the most important, no problem if one or 2 shots are tight but makable, no problem if the pin requires flipper skills you wrote...as long as it does not have the flipper gap of the GB (just my opinion)

#322 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

How someone down votes a purely opinion post is beyond me. He makes no assertions or declarations, his post is totally subjective, and balanced with well wishing thoughts.
Boo and hiss... to down voting balanced opinion posts...
LOL
Mof

If it's not brownnosing, it doesn't belong on Pinside. Didn't you know that?

#323 7 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I agree, MM does not have very risky or tight shots.

This sort of comes back to why MM (and to a certain degree AFM) are Top 10 games - they offer challenges for all skill levels. The ball return is part of that I believe.

It's definitely a difficult balancing act - making the playfield itself friendly to new people who just want to bat a ball around a bit and have the machine make funny noises and flash some lights, but having the software deep enough to pull in dedicated players long term.

From what I've seen, Houdini is currently weighting towards the experienced player on the playfield itself, which if I'm being honest is probably fine given the target market for the game.

I think it would do the team a great deal of good to put the game on test in a bar or two and see how "normal" people interact with the game and to check coin drop. Obviously the biggest market is home buyers, but real world testing still has value to tell you if it's a game for everyone and thus destined for the Top 10.

On a side note, my suggestion outside of game play is to add some (more?) humour to the game - it's something that is sadly missing from games these days and I think a big component of MMs and AFMs success.

Hopefully my comments are seen as constructive - I'm in no way trying to criticize the game as-is, just offering my totally subjective opinion.

#324 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

On a side note, my suggestion outside of game play is to add some (more?) humour to the game - it's something that is sadly missing from games these days and I think a big component of MMs and AFMs success.

Well the announcer does say "you stink" when you lose the ball early. So there's at least there's a nod to humor.

#325 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Well the announcer does say "you stink" when you lose the ball early. So there's at least there's a nod to humor.

Right now game has quite a few insults thrown at the player, just because those were easy to come up with when I did the first round of voice calls -- or maybe that is just my sense of humour.

In all honesty coming up with the voice calls is in many ways harder than coming up with rules. That is one of the biggest downsides to an unlicensed theme. Not like I can sit back have a few shots of tequila and watch a movie over and over again to find great call outs. I don't have Harold Ramis or the Coen brothers writing for me.

#326 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Right now game has quite a few insults thrown at the player, just because those were easy to come up with when I did the first round of voice calls -- or maybe that is just my sense of humour.
In all honesty coming up with the voice calls is in many ways harder than coming up with rules. That is one of the biggest downsides to an unlicensed theme. Not like I can sit back have a few shots of tequila and watch a movie over and over again to find great call outs. I don't have Harold Ramis or the Coen brothers writing for me.

I enjoyed the message you guys have in there saying "BALL SAVE -- Next time, try using the flippers" or whatever that was

#327 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

I enjoyed the message you guys have in there saying "BALL SAVE -- Next time, try using the flippers" or whatever that was

I would like to understand all call outs in general coz it is not obvious for people whose English is not the first language
Why not create a data bank of callout by pin?

For exemple here, what mean "you stink"?

#328 7 years ago

I would like to understand all call outs in general coz it is not obvious for people whose English is not the first language
Why not create a data bank of callout by pin?
For exemple here, what mean "you stink"?

It's a mild insult and it's not specific to pinball. Usually it means you're terrible at something.

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Southern Fried Game Expo is the biggest show in the Southeast, it's really a must.

The Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show is the same weekend and twice as big. You gotta go where the action is.

#330 7 years ago

"You stink" was also in Pinball Magic

#331 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

As I said, lots of insults like that right now, but only when deserved and there are a few compliments as well. I think my favorite right now on a quick drain/ball save, is "Seriously?", maybe it is just the way he says it. But funny how a single word can carry so much weight. Although I also like "you've got to be kidding me"

Quoted from nwpinball:

The Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show is the same weekend and twice as big. You gotta go where the action is.

Every show thinks they are the best and/or the most important for us to be at. Which I think is great, shows the passion that is out there. As I've said, our goal is to get to each region of the country. Easier said then done, but then again, people said you could not get a machine from nothing to a playing prototype with full art in four months . . .

We are building some more prototypes and getting distributors on board, to help make it possible to be at as many of these shows as possible. I believe we have four shows tentatively planned over the next few months. Keep in mind, I used to live in Atlanta and have family there and Jolly our sales guy lives in northern California, so that may give you an indication of some of the shows we are looking at.

#332 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

As I said, lots of insults like that right now, but only when deserved and there are a few compliments as well. I think my favorite right now on a quick drain/ball save, is "Seriously?", maybe it is just the way he says it. But funny how a single word can carry so much weight. Although I also like "you've got to be kidding me"

i hope the code will be the main factor to play this one again and again, much more as been mildly insulted for playing badly! lol

#333 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

It's a mild insult and it's not specific to pinball. Usually it means you're terrible at something.

More specifically, a stink is a bad smell, so by extension telling someone they stink is saying they are bad at what they are doing. (Or it could mean they actually smell bad!)

One of those fun English words that can be a noun or a verb.

#334 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Every show thinks they are the best and/or the most important for us to be at. Which I think is great, shows the passion that is out there. As I've said, our goal is to get to each region of the country. Easier said then done, but then again, people said you could not get a machine from nothing to a playing prototype with full art in four months . . .
We are building some more prototypes and getting distributors on board, to help make it possible to be at as many of these shows as possible. I believe we have four shows tentatively planned over the next few months. Keep in mind, I used to live in Atlanta and have family there and Jolly our sales guy lives in northern California, so that may give you an indication of some of the shows we are looking at.

So will you guys be at pinfest? It's one of the biggest shows on the east coast ?

#335 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

So will you guys be at pinfest? It's one of the biggest shows on the east coast ?

Right now we are just trying to work through the next few. But since I head to Maine for a week or two each summer, I am pushing for it, since I can hopefully time it to do the show while I am already out that way.

i hope the code will be the main factor to play this one again and again, much more as been mildly insulted for playing badly! lol

I'm sure it will shock no one that my primary focus is on the ruleset and making fun for the novice, but provide a lot of breadth and depth for a player/collector. If you have read the basics of the rule set, posted in my record setting long post earlier in this thread, it will give you a sense of where I am going with it. Of course at shows, few if anyone can get a true feel for the ruleset, which is why I chuckle when I read comments about the rules coming out of a show, I'm thinking "dude, you barely scratched the surface, you have no clue what is in there". I've also had heated discussion here on rules "Rosh, the secret missions are way too complicated, needing to hit three specific shots in a row, it should be just one shot" and I'm responding "jail escapes are hurry-ups and are one shot, secret missions are combos, and yes if you want to complete that phase of the rule set, you will need to be able to make the combo". Now I do understand the concern, since you can start the first secret mission very quickly and easily at the start of the game (the combo then remains active, with inserts of a specific color guiding you, until it is completed, at which point you can start the next), so I can see the confusion that a player totally new to game, as everyone is at that point, thinks that should be there focus vs starting a 'stage mode', which would be more of the primary objective and those have a lot more variability (and points) to them. Secret Missions are there for depth and to give a player more things to think about, focus on and strategize, e.g. focus on a combo when you have gotten the playfield multiplier up to 2x/3x/4x. Secret missions also have a mini-magician mode as well, and is needed to earn a houdini letter). Certainly possible for shows we will change that up a little to help.

#336 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Right now we are just trying to work through the next few. But since I head to Maine for a week or two each summer, I am pushing for it, since I can hopefully time it to do the show while I am already out that way.

I'm sure it will shock no one that my primary focus is on the ruleset and making fun for the novice, but provide a lot of breadth and depth for a player/collector. If you have read the basics of the rule set, posted in my record setting long post earlier in this thread, it will give you a sense of where I am going with it. Of course at shows, few if anyone can get a true feel for the ruleset, which is why I chuckle when I read comments about the rules coming out of a show, I'm thinking "dude, you barely scratched the surface, you have no clue what is in there". I've also had heated discussion here on rules "Rosh, the secret missions are way too complicated, needing to hit three specific shots in a row, it should be just one shot" and I'm responding "jail escapes are hurry-ups and are one shot, secret missions are combos, and yes if you want to complete that phase of the rule set, you will need to be able to make the combo". Now I do understand the concern, since you can start the first secret mission very quickly and easily at the start of the game (the combo then remains active, with inserts of a specific color guiding you, until it is completed, at which point you can start the next), so I can see the confusion that a player totally new to game, as everyone is at that point, thinks that should be there focus vs starting a 'stage mode', which would be more of the primary objective and those have a lot more variability (and points) to them. Secret Missions are there for depth and to give a player more things to think about, focus on and strategize, e.g. focus on a combo when you have gotten the playfield multiplier up to 2x/3x/4x. Secret missions also have a mini-magician mode as well, and is needed to earn a houdini letter). Certainly possible for shows we will change that up a little to help.

Great job so far Rosh. I love how you're taking the whole story of Houdini and it's depth into the game rules as you have. Very Cool!

#337 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Of course I was joking.
This is a pity this is not possible to try it.
Wish you the best.

#338 7 years ago

Did i mention how excited we all are to see this at PAGG on May 18th in Dixon Ca!
Also had good friend whisper in my ear sunday that he may be a distrubutor for American Pinball in the So Cal area!
Exciting times and congratulations is already due for how far you have come since expo in oct.

#339 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Pintastic New England is in the summer and close to Maine so I'm sure that's the show your talking about. Great news!

#340 7 years ago

Great American Pinball is excited to announce they will be a distributor for American Pinball and their first Pinball machine Houdini. If you would like to be on put on a list to purchase one of these machines in the near future, you can PM us on pinside or email us at [email protected] or [email protected]. We are not taking deposit or payment at this time, but we will add you to a list if you want one of these games. Looks to be a summer release, more details to come.
http://www.greatamericanpinball.com
Thanks
GAP

Added over 7 years ago: Update : Late 2017 release, not summer.

#341 7 years ago

sweet PM sent

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

In all honesty coming up with the voice calls is in many ways harder than coming up with rules. That is one of the biggest downsides to an unlicensed theme

"abracadabAAALLL SAAAVE!"

#344 7 years ago

U have one from me too!

#345 7 years ago

Pm sent.

#346 7 years ago

Nitro Pinball is also very excited to announce we'll be Canadian distributor for American Pinball and Houdini. Please contact us toll free 1-855-DO-NITRO (36-64876) to be put the purchase list, or PM me on pinside ...or email [email protected]

No deposit or payment will be accepted at this time.

Thanks!

Tommy
www.NITROPINBALL.com

#347 7 years ago

Is there a video that you can clearly hear the sounds of the game in?

#348 7 years ago

Flip N Out Pinball is proud to announce that we are a distributor for the new American Pinball game Houdini. We will have one available to play at Southern Fried Gameroom Expo in June. Making a list of customers now for this new game to be delivered this summer. Come play it and sign up now or at the show. No deposit needed, just a list of interested customers.
Larry
Flip N Out Pinball

Added over 7 years ago: In my post I stated that it would be expected to be delivered in late summer but need to change that info. That was a target date and actual production and delivery will be after that window. As with all predictions and goals they are fluid and will change over time. I know they want to do this right and get a game out that everyone will love so stay tuned.

Larry
Flipnoutpinball.com

#349 7 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Great American Pinball is excited to announce they will be a distributor for American Pinball and their first Pinball machine Houdini. If you would like to be on put on a list to purchase one of these machines in the near future, you can PM us on pinside or email us at [email protected] or [email protected]. We are not taking deposit or payment at this time, but we will add you to a list if you want one of these games. Looks to be a summer release, more details to come.
http://www.greatamericanpinball.com
Thanks
GAP

All PM's responded too, time to watch the Cubs.

GAP

#350 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am surprised after MGC of the fan fare, I found the right side shots to just be too tight to be fun (maybe I just suck) and not a whole lot of shots. I was able to hit about 2 shots with any accuracy. Aside from that I need to hold off any real judgement till I get a shot to play a few more games on a hopefully refined second version/build.
Very impressive on where they have come in such a short time and excited to see what it holds, but as for now my first impression was mixed. It was not very fun to shoot (I played 3 games to give it a solid show chance and watched probably 15 other games played), but some cool code ideas (as expected since Rosh is full of neat code stuff) combined with what I think is a cool theme and possibilities. I am hoping they make some tweaks to help it shoot better and look forward to where this goes. The ball toss is a cool toy/mech/idea in action!
Good luck Rosh and looking forward to how your code progresses!

Yes, those shots are insanely tight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/7?hl=ricflair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.