20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 297.
#3801 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I'm pretty sure Stern hasn't been in the artblade buisiness for years. Didn't they just start selling accessories?

Game of Thrones Jan 2016. That's two years ago.

We don't have one, but WWE was 2015, almost 3 years ago.

Walking Dead was released in mid 2014, art blades went on sale in Dec 2014.

All have official art blades from Stern using the durable vinyl type material. So yeah, it's been years.

#3802 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

For those worried about the art blades - pick up a set of these...I have two sets I use all the time.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4575

We use this type of protection when working on machines After side art is installed

#3803 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

For those worried about the art blades - pick up a set of these...I have two sets I use all the time.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4575

Im ordering these now!

The mirror blades on my AFMrLE are also quite thin and easily damaged.
This will be very handy for my Houdini when it ships with the also very thin art blades.

Thanks for the info!

#3804 5 years ago

I'm curious...you Houdini owners...does your game "make" the upper catapult shot onto the wireform consistently? If so, what setting do you have your coil for that shot set at? I've tried going up and down from the default but still am only getting maybe one out of ten to make the wireform and down to the right flipper. I know each game is different, but I'd appreciate any comments or guidance on this one. The rest of the coils have been adjusted and seem to all be dialed in (except I still can't get the lock shot on the right by backhanding from a trapped ball on the right flipper. I have let it drop down a miniscule amount and tried the shot and still hit the target beside the entrance to the lock ball.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#3805 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

I'm curious...you Houdini owners...does your game "make" the upper catapult shot onto the wireform consistently? If so, what setting do you have your coil for that shot set at? I've tried going up and down from the default but still am only getting maybe one out of ten to make the wireform and down to the right flipper. I know each game is different, but I'd appreciate any comments or guidance on this one. The rest of the coils have been adjusted and seem to all be dialed in (except I still can't get the lock shot on the right by backhanding from a trapped ball on the right flipper. I have let it drop down a miniscule amount and tried the shot and still hit the target beside the entrance to the lock ball.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

After small tweaking of the coil power, ours makes almost every time (like 98% - but when it fails, it's like a misfire where the ball goes sideways into the orbit, not a failed shot into the wireform). Less strength is more with that shot. If you want to see what's happening, dial down the strength, then with the glass off, slo-mo record that with your phone which will allow you to analyze what's happening.

#3806 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

I've tried going up and down from the default but still am only getting maybe one out of ten to make the wireform and down to the right flipper.

I had this problem, I used a 1/4 spacer to lift up the wire form!
This resulted in perfect catapult shots into the wire form!
Problem for me was the ball when launched tried to rattle its way through! Posted pictures somewhere in the the thread!
Hope this helps!

#3807 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Problem for me was the ball when launched tried to rattle its way through! Posted pictures somewhere in the the thread!
Hope this helps!

this is exactly what i was going to say, i had the same problem, now works like a charme.

#3808 5 years ago

I've put about 60 games on so far and this game is very frustrating and not necessarily because of the tight shots. I am getting lots of rejects from the scoop, the stage, the milk can and the ramp. It's hard enough to have to hit those things but when you do and it rejects out, it is not fun.

What is everyone doing to reduce the rejects?

Other things I would like to see:
1. Bypass the match so I can start another game
2. Bypass the hat or option to turn off the non game items
3. Stop the timer when the ball is not in play
4. If lock is lit and I skill shot award lock, I think the lock should remain lit
5. Water torture - the ball shoots out before announcing what to shoot at
6. The out lane awards don't seem to be used much (unless I just don't know how to light them)

#3809 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I've put about 60 games on so far and this game is very frustrating and not necessarily because of the tight shots. I am getting lots of rejects from the scoop, the stage, the milk can and the ramp. It's hard enough to have to hit those things but when you do and it rejects out, it is not fun.
4. If lock is lit and I skill shot award lock, I think the lock should remain lit
6. The out lane awards don't seem to be used much (unless I just don't know how to light them)

First, are you on the 18.5.4 code?

Sounds like your coil power for the flipper is too high and also possibly your pf angle is too low.

What's your flipper coil power (both sides are adjustable separately) and PF angle?

1. Agree
2. I like the gag draws, but this would be a good option on setup menu for those that don't.
3. It does this a LOT more in 18.5.4
4. I can see this.
5. Eh. Give me the ball back fast and I'll figure out the rest.
6. I use them a lot.

#3810 5 years ago

Feel a bit silly that I have to ask this, but how do you reset high scores on Houdini? I’ve scoured the menu but can’t find it and I am a bit hesitant to just try to reset all default settings to see if that works.

#3811 5 years ago
Quoted from foobeer:

Feel a bit silly that I have to ask this, but how do you reset high scores on Houdini? I’ve scoured the menu but can’t find it and I am a bit hesitant to just try to reset all default settings to see if that works.

From memory, I think it's on the utilities menu. Once you're in, there are different sub menus accessible by scrolling RIGHT. It's not very user-friendly nor immediately obvious.

#3812 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We have Stern art blades installed in numerous routed Sterns. Some have been on for multiple years. Zero have torn from the playfield being raised and lowered on location. They're made from very durable material. The AP blades for Houdini were torn within a week. I knew they were not long for the world even before I installed them because they're so paper-like compared to the Stern material. You can see and feel the difference.

Somethings not ringing true here - when did you say you bought the Stern blades? Also nothing you’re saying is contradicted in my post. If you’re not careful, ALL blades can have an issue, whether it’s the top getting caught on the playfield edge, or a gouge from the PF if it doesn’t lift out totally straight. Or mirror blades getting scuffed...

#3813 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sounds like your coil power for the flipper is too high and also possibly your pf angle is too low.
What's your flipper coil power (both sides are adjustable separately) and PF angle?

Yep, good suggestions. I second a review of the flipper cool power. Game can reasonably be between 6 / 6.5 and still work great

#3814 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Somethings not ringing true here - when did you say you bought the Stern blades? Also nothing you’re saying is contradicted in my post. If you’re not careful, ALL blades can have an issue, whether it’s the top getting caught on the playfield edge, or a gouge from the PF if it doesn’t lift out totally straight. Or mirror blades getting scuffed...

Have you held official Stern Art Blades personally and the AP Houdini ones? The material difference is stark.

Official Stern blades were bought for most Stern machines on the route I help with once Stern started selling them (all installed by me and not at the factory on new machines we got, if that was ever an option), which started years ago. Literally none of the Stern art blades have been snagged by raising and lowering the PFs to service them. Zero. I'll be the first to call out Stern's cost-cutting and poor quality, but they are making their Art Blades right. The material is fairly durable. AP's blades are not. That's all I'm saying. There's an OBVIOUS difference, and once installed people (including me) are snagging/tearing them in the wild from just raising the PFs.

I don't ever install mirror blades because they are too fragile and easy to scuff because they are even thicker than Stern's art blades. I also happen to personally like additional art over a mirror effect.

Once installed (use the wet method exclusively, kids - voice of experience here!) unless you're REALLY careless, you're not going to snag/tear Stern art blades.

#3815 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes I am on 5.4.

Not sure the angle of the PF but all the leg levelers are screwed all the way in.

Coil power is LF 23 and RF 22.

#3816 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Have you held official Stern Art Blades personally and the AP Houdini ones? The material difference is stark.
Official Stern blades were bought for most Stern machines on the route I help with once Stern started selling them (all installed by me and not at the factory on new machines we got, if that was ever an option), which started years ago. Literally none of the Stern art blades have been snagged by raising and lowering the PFs to service them. Zero. I'll be the first to call out Stern's cost-cutting and poor quality, but they are making their Art Blades right. The material is fairly durable. AP's blades are not. That's all I'm saying. There's an OBVIOUS difference, and once installed people (including me) are snagging/tearing them in the wild from just raising the PFs.
I don't ever install mirror blades because they are too fragile and easy to scuff because they are even thicker than Stern's art blades. I also happen to personally like additional art over a mirror effect.
Once installed (use the wet method exclusively, kids - voice of experience here!) unless you're REALLY careless, you're not going to snag/tear Stern art blades.

I wasn’t calling you a liar, man, chillax your beans! (My kid says that, I have no idea what it means). We agree the blades are made of different material, and AP’s are thinner. Go re-read my post. Go ahead. I’ll wait.

Ok.

I was questioning how long you’ve been installing the Official Stern branded blades, since I could have sworn they’ve only been doing blade for the past year or so. Maybe it’s 2, I am not certain.

Also, “doesn’t ring true” means “that doesn’t sound right to me”, not “you’re a f&$@ing liar! Fess up!!”. Ok we cool? Aah crap I’ve lost track of what the argument was.

#3817 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Yes I am on 5.4.
Not sure the angle of the PF but all the leg levelers are screwed all the way in.
Coil power is LF 23 and RF 22.

Coil power is way too high. Dial it back to 20 and see if that does you good. If not 21 should be plenty for whichever flipper you think is still lacking.

Once you get the coil power dialed back, download a level app to your phone and calibrate it to flat, then check the angle by putting it on your playfield (glass off) and see where you're at. If you have the levelers all the way in (no additional height), I think Houdini is 6.5, but it might be a little different based on your surface. So, see what your PF angle is.

#3818 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I was questioning how long you’ve been installing the Official Stern branded blades, since I could have sworn they’ve only been doing blade for the past year or so. Maybe it’s 2, I am not certain.

Check the date:
https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/posts/10152869913319244

Time starts moving faster when you get older. Stern has been selling them longer than 2 years.

#3819 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

From memory, I think it's on the utilities menu. Once you're in, there are different sub menus accessible by scrolling RIGHT. It's not very user-friendly nor immediately obvious.

I’ve went through the sub menus in utilities but haven’t seen anything about resetting high scores.

#3820 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll give this a try.

#3821 5 years ago
Quoted from foobeer:

I’ve went through the sub menus in utilities but haven’t seen anything about resetting high scores.

Yeah, I can only give you generalizations since I don't have the machine in front of me. I will say that I wish the menu was just a simple JJP-style. The graphics don't add much to the utility of the menus and just obfuscate where stuff you want to get to is.

If you haven't figured it out by tomorrow, I'll check the location machine and figure it out.

#3822 5 years ago

Im not in front of the menu, but you can off the match feature by setting the percent to zero, and i think the option for match to be there. I seem to remember changing two settings.

#3823 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im ordering these now!
The mirror blades on my AFMrLE are also quite thin and easily damaged.
This will be very handy for my Houdini when it ships with the also very thin art blades.
Thanks for the info!

Or you could do what a lot of us do for home use. Simply go to a craft store and buy five bucks worth of poster board and shape it as desired to protect the sides when you lift the PF up and down. The guides you make will last forever.

35 bucks? phht... ridiculous

#3824 5 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Or you could do what a lot of us do for home use. Simply go to a craft store and buy five bucks worth of poster board and shape it as desired to protect the sides when you lift the PF up and down. The guides you make will last forever.

I like this idea too!

But seriously paper thin artwork in a pinball machine really doesnt make any sense unless they are selling it for $1.99 as a disposable surface.

Back to what I said earlier, any sign company can make them out of very durable material for a fair price.
I had a PVC or vinyl carbon composite graphic made 3 years ago 10' x 6' for a wall out of this incredibly strong stuff.
Its impossible to tear and is UV proof although it can scuff off the ink. It was pricey at $15 a sq ft installed but so far it looks great in my commercial environment.

I know they can be made to be tough, so charge me more money?

#3825 5 years ago
Quoted from foobeer:

Unless it's been added very recently there is no option for resetting high scores or for setting custom defaults. I mentioned this earlier in this thread and rosh said it was something that had just recently been requested, hopefully that means it's getting added. The only way to reset the score is to do a reset to factory defaults, IIRC that no longer resets coil strength settings but will wipe out high scores and any other feature (timers, difficulty levels, etc.) and pricing adjustments that were made.

#3826 5 years ago

Question about folding down the head....A friend may bring a game for me up from florida but he has a newer Jeep Trailhawk which is too low profile for just folding head down. How difficult to slide the head down toward the front of the pin so it will fit. Thinking which wires need to come out? easy to unbolt head? etc. Ive seen several people transport other games where the head had to be slid toward the lock down bar to transport but not sure how hard to do on Houdini.

Thx for any help.

#3827 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Unless it's been added very recently there is no option for resetting high scores or for setting custom defaults. I mentioned this earlier in this thread and rosh said it was something that had just recently been requested, hopefully that means it's getting added. The only way to reset the score is to do a reset to factory defaults, IIRC that no longer resets coil strength settings but will wipe out high scores and any other feature (timers, difficulty levels, etc.) and pricing adjustments that were made.

This didn't work for me either. I broke down last night and decided to just reset to factory defaults in order to reset high scores, but it retained coil strength and high scores! Unless I'm missing something, I guess there is no current way to reset high scores?

#3828 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

...but will wipe out high scores and any other feature (timers, difficulty levels, etc.) and pricing adjustments that were made.

Ouch. Resetting high scores seems so basic

#3829 5 years ago

I get frustrated the other way- software upgrades that clear high scores. I know some pins have a way to export/import scores. I don’t understand why they don’t make that part of the regular upgrade process. Inevitably I forget and end up with factory scores

#3830 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Question about folding down the head....A friend may bring a game for me up from florida but he has a newer Jeep Trailhawk which is too low profile for just folding head down. How difficult to slide the head down toward the front of the pin so it will fit. Thinking which wires need to come out? easy to unbolt head? etc. Ive seen several people transport other games where the head had to be slid toward the lock down bar to transport but not sure how hard to do on Houdini.
Thx for any help.

I think if you look back 1 page (might be 2), you’ll see some discussion regarding this. The back box hinge bolts take some work to unscrew- they have kind of a security bolt type head to them. But you can get them off with a standard hex wrench if you get it in there good. (The screwdriver tricks works too if you can find the right width)

Very few wires to the head - maybe took me 10 minutes to do

#3831 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Ouch. Resetting high scores seems so basic

Software is all about prioritization, bug fixes first!

#3832 5 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

In spite of the $35 price they are pretty slick:

Im going to use them a lot especially to keep from scratching my Krylon painted wooden black sides on my other games.

#3833 5 years ago
Quoted from foobeer:

This didn't work for me either. I broke down last night and decided to just reset to factory defaults in order to reset high scores, but it retained coil strength and high scores! Unless I'm missing something, I guess there is no current way to reset high scores?

Yeah, I looked today at the location where Houdini is and I couldn't find it, either. Definitely needs this option.

#3834 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

4. can also work as advance lock.

#3835 5 years ago

Can anyone comment on how well the shaker is integrated into this game? Ive ordered my game sans shaker as it just didn't seem that this was a title that it seemed appropriate for but Im open to being convinced that its a must have.

#3836 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Can anyone comment on how well the shaker is integrated into this game? Ive ordered my game sans shaker as it just didn't seem that this was a title that it seemed appropriate for but Im open to being convinced that its a must have.

My shaker is on the way.. happy to report when it arrives. Josh mentioned wanting to integrate it when it makes sense but not go overboard. Dialed In is a game I think that makes exceptional logical use of the shaker (and earthshaker, obviously!) for comparison’s sake. Hobbit too.

#3837 5 years ago

Yeah my GOT was kinda out of control. I soft rumble on the pops with chains might be nice? I big one when the cannon fires?

#3838 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Software is all about prioritization, bug fixes first!

At HP we did design first, implementation next, and testing / bug fix after that. But they didn't design pinball machines.

#3839 5 years ago

So I know that the whole truck shot missing thing has been discussed to death at this point but I have a question. My shot missed short the first 2 times and never again after I adjusted the coil power up 1. It probably made the shot 100 times perfectly. I know that the coil power can be finicky but the only other thing that I plugged into the wall was an external Polk subwoofer. Tonight my first ball barely made it and it missed the next two short. Is the game that sensitive that one subwoofer can throw everything off?

#3840 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

So I know that the whole truck shot missing thing has been discussed to death at this point but I have a question. My shot missed short the first 2 times and never again after I adjusted the coil power up 1. It probably made the shot 100 times perfectly. I know that the coil power can be finicky but the only other thing that I plugged into the wall was an external Polk subwoofer. Tonight my first ball barely made it and it missed the next two short. Is the game that sensitive that one subwoofer can throw everything off?

Depends on how stable your home power is. Have you checked the power outlet with a multimeter?

#3841 5 years ago

Stuck ball, and Pin Stadium lights installed (independent unrelated events).

A

35AC308C-B2F4-4D8F-88DD-6220367D7C07 (resized).jpeg35AC308C-B2F4-4D8F-88DD-6220367D7C07 (resized).jpeg

12E18F04-9C16-4CBE-A804-A6D26606C1FE (resized).jpeg12E18F04-9C16-4CBE-A804-A6D26606C1FE (resized).jpeg

E482EC85-5B46-4655-B9E5-0E586A2BAFF7 (resized).jpegE482EC85-5B46-4655-B9E5-0E586A2BAFF7 (resized).jpeg

#3842 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

The shaker is great with the pops. Seems slow to come on with trunk lock. Mine shakes after the ball goes in and the lid closes. Also came on when the jail door closes if I remember correctly. This shaker seems to have the right amount of movement for these features.

#3843 5 years ago

I have shakers in my LOTR standard, LAH, ST pro and Houdini. They all integrate well with the shakers.

#3844 5 years ago

This has been a known issue for a long time. Supposedly AP was working on a fix (diverter or whatever for behind the planchette) for a few months. What's the status of that?

#3845 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I like this idea too!
But seriously paper thin artwork in a pinball machine really doesnt make any sense unless they are selling it for $1.99 as a disposable surface.
Back to what I said earlier, any sign company can make them out of very durable material for a fair price.
I had a PVC or vinyl carbon composite graphic made 3 years ago 10' x 6' for a wall out of this incredibly strong stuff.
Its impossible to tear and is UV proof although it can scuff off the ink. It was pricey at $15 a sq ft installed but so far it looks great in my commercial environment.
I know they can be made to be tough, so charge me more money?

It is not advisable to just print to Vinyl. Those will rip quickly. The best solution is to print to 2.4 mil Vinyl with egress adhesive, and laminate over the top with a 3 mil velvet textured Polycarbonate. The Polycarbonate is durable and can withstand some abuse, and the artwork is not exposed on the outer surface.

#3846 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

At HP we did design first, implementation next, and testing / bug fix after that. But they didn't design pinball machines.

Agile != Waterfall

#3847 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Agile != Waterfall

Oh, no. Here we go again...Vid?

#3848 5 years ago
Quoted from WillSmuz8999:

It is not advisable to just print to Vinyl. Those will rip quickly. The best solution is to print to 2.4 mil Vinyl with egress adhesive, and laminate over the top with a 3 mil velvet textured Polycarbonate. The Polycarbonate is durable and can withstand some abuse, and the artwork is not exposed on the outer surface.

Perfect. Put this art blade manufacture durability how-to in an email and send it to [email protected].

#3849 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Agile != Waterfall

I don't understand this, but please don't explain. Back to it.

#3850 5 years ago

Push the wires for the planchette in a little deeper, ball may go up behind , however it falls directly into the shooter lane!
When I install my shaker , will use a zip tie there as well !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/77?hl=genjuro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.