20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 297.
#3651 5 years ago

Had this game for several days now, and I really have to say I love the way Houdini feels and plays. For those that complain about the "tight shots", I have several other pins that have just as difficult shots, and a couple that are much worse in my opinion. No question Houdini is tougher than some pins, but that is the part I like the most. As others have said here, "it will make you a better player", and I believe that to be absolutely true. I suck at pinball....I am a casual player only. I am not ranked, and I hate to play in tournaments or leagues.....I just play for the fun of it. With that said, Houdini is one of those games that is challenging enough to keep you thinking about your shot placement, and deep enough to be really rewarding, but at the same time you don't need a PHD to figure out the next shot or strategy. It's possible this is just a by-product of playing more pinball since I got Houdini, but my scores across the board have come up, and I think it is more in regards to actually thinking about what I am doing rather than just smacking the ball around. Trust me, if you play like me and take that method to Houdini, the game will make you pay in quick fashion. Love the artwork and layout, and Josh is doing stellar things with the code. It's cool to see all of the subtle industry humor interjected in the oddest places, and as one that doesn't pay much attention to the screen during play, it is nice to hear the callouts on what to shoot.

The only real negative things I can think of about the game are purely cosmetic, and at least one item I know is being actively worked on. The music is a little repetitive, but you really don't notice it much if you are concentrating on the game, and while I completely get the tongue-in-cheek humor, I could do without being told I suck on each ball launch.......lol. (I already know I am not a good player) I am guessing that would be an easy fix. My only other suggestion would be the ability to double-flipper past the 'magic out of the hat' scenes and such to where you don't have to watch the video, but can flipper to a final award screen, just to keep more of the flow of the game. Guys like me that play casually, don't necessarily want to stop the game play to watch the same sequences over and over.....although I will admit there are some fun gems hidden into the sequences.

But again, all of that is cosmetic, and nothing that would stop me from playing the game. Houdini is as enjoyable as any of the last NIB games I have purchased, and whatever the reason, it has done more for my game than any of those last NIB's purchased (BM66LE,WOZRR, AFMRLE,GBLE). I am really looking forward to this code progression and for what Josh has planned next.

#3652 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

barryj i submitted a ticket online for support and have not heard back from anyone. Also with the cabs being smaller is there a way to at least recenter the lock down bar mechanism so it is offset properly for the smaller width?

Didn't receive the ticket.. Will look into it.

We are in the process of having rubber inserts made for the inside of the lock down trim.

#3653 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

We are in the process of having rubber inserts made for the inside of the lock down trim.

Also, you can add a little thin beer seal on the sides

#3654 5 years ago

the Shaker Motor is now available on the website. It is priced at $99.95 and comes with all needed hardware and the correct cable to hook up to our auxiliary board.

https://store.american-pinball.com/

#3655 5 years ago

I installed the latest code last night and wanted to understand something better. When you start a mode in the theater, are you supposed to be able to choose which mode? I watched a bit of the Buffalo stream and thought they chose their modes. Am I misunderstanding something?

#3656 5 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

I installed the latest code last night and wanted to understand something better. When you start a mode in the theater, are you supposed to be able to choose which mode? I watched a bit of the Buffalo stream and thought they chose their modes. Am I misunderstanding something?

Pretty sure it changed with the new code. Only can change it if you get a show ticket that says so

#3657 5 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

If the 'status screen' is on the marquee when you open the stage, then you will get a choice. You can use the flippers to try to get what you want on the screen before you open it. so if you know you need just one shot to open it, you can get what you want on screen (then typically shift it with the opposite flipper you are going to shoot it with), to get what you want.

You can also lock that in via the skill shot (when offered) and through the magic shop.

#3658 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Problem with banging is it marks up the powder coat underneath. If you know the lock down bar is to wide and shifted to the right why not reposition locking mechanism a 1/8 inch to the left and then it will always be centered with no banging.

I also put a square of mylar on each side underneath the lockdown bar where it contacts the side rails like CGC and JJP do to reduce friction on the powdercoat.

#3659 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

BarryJ the ticket is to get a replacement instruction area decal.

#3660 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I also put a square of mylar on each side underneath the lockdown bar where it contacts the side rails like CGC and JJP do to reduce friction on the powdercoat.

I generally put a piece of self adhesive felt underneath the lockdown bar where it rubs on the siderails.

Also along the inside rear and the sides of the lockdown bar where it rubs on the cabinet.

This also helps center it as its 1/8" thick. Multiple layers can be added if need be.

I started doing this on some of my games because the lockdown bar would shift a bit while nudging the game (even though it was adjusted and clamped down) and now they feel lots more secure and solid.

Michaels and walmart usually have the thick felt on a backing for good cheap price by the sheet.

I havent tried the felt tape but I imagine it would also work.

#3661 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Any way to buy a large Houdini pin poster? Would love one next to the pin when I get one.

If not available. Ebay has lots of Houdini banners and posters.

LTG : )

#3662 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Any way to buy a large Houdini pin poster? Would love one next to the pin when I get one.

I bought, framed and LED'd the translite.

20180214_175800 (resized).jpg20180214_175800 (resized).jpg

#3663 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I bought, framed and LED'd the translite.

Yellow leds will probably look better than white for the colors in the translite.

#3664 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yellow leds will probably look better than white for the colors in the translite.

It actully is color changing and goes thru whole spectrum. There is a few points going from red to orange and blue to green where it appears that the stage and Houdini are 3D.

20180214_175753 (resized).jpg20180214_175753 (resized).jpg

20180214_175758 (resized).jpg20180214_175758 (resized).jpg

20180214_175759 (resized).jpg20180214_175759 (resized).jpg

#3665 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Quoted from BarryJ:

Knocker will be available shortly...

Barry - I had asked about the knocker and have the same question about the rubber inserts. Is AP planning to send these items to early customers that received machines without them or are you just adding these items to new machines off the line. I'd just like my expectations set either way. If the answer is no, I'll move on...Thanks.

#3666 5 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Barry - I had asked about the knocker and have the same question about the rubber inserts. Is AP planning to send these items to early customers that received machines without them or are you just adding these items to new machines off the line. I'd just like my expectations set either way. If the answer is no, I'll move on...Thanks.

I like knockers...

#3667 5 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Assuming we move forward with engineering a Knocker for the machine, it will be an add-on, not something included and we would be selling them via our website to those who might want it.

Not 100% sure on the rubber pieces, my best guess is we would send them out to distributors who would then get them to those who they sold games to.

#3668 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Assuming we move forward with engineering a Knocker for the machine, it will be an add-on, not something included and we would be selling them via our website to those who might want it.
Not 100% sure on the rubber pieces, my best guess is we would send them out to distributors who would then get them to those who they sold games to.

Hey rosh, whats your next game?

#3669 5 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

The Knocker is an add on item.

The information on how to purchase the knocker will be given when they are ready.

As far as the lock down rubber, if that is what we do, we will make sure everyone gets them. Last I heard we were doing the rubber inserts, but that decision is above my pay grade.

#3670 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

The Kugler Family Pinball -- since I know all of you want a machine about my family in your game rooms!!!

#3671 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

This is the fix.
With a flat head screwdriver and a small rubber mallet.
Hit the flat rail right above the closest screw at the top.
Your goal is to move the flat rail closer to the post, when done correctly all targets can be hit.
The game never had a variable skill shot, therefor there was no need to insure all 3 targets could be hit. We have sense changed this policy moving forward, but all games out there might need a tweak!
CAREFUL NOT TO SCRATCH YOUR PLAYFIELD!!

This will not fix all games Barry.... I machined out the last hole on the stainless guide to make it more adjustable. While it does help it still cannot hit the to target on even a 10% basis.

I used a slow motion camera and this is what I see.... when the ball travels up the shooter trough in the playfield it is about an 1/8 inch away from the wooden shooter lane edge and stainless ball guide. when the ball transition for the turn on a hard enough shot to hit the to target it does not transition for the turn smoothly because of the gap. The ball hits the guide moving forward then deflects in the transition once it hits the guide which causes it to not move flowing threw the guide.

I feel the only way to completely solve this is with another guide the sticks out an 1/8 inch closer to the ball at launch and runs comletly along the path of the existing guide.

I may work on a mod for this if AP does not have a different fix.

#3672 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

If the 'status screen' is on the marquee when you open the stage, then you will get a choice. You can use the flippers to try to get what you want on the screen before you open it. so if you know you need just one shot to open it, you can get what you want on screen (then typically shift it with the opposite flipper you are going to shoot it with), to get what you want.
You can also lock that in via the skill shot (when offered) and through the magic shop.

This is an awesome choice if you are close to multiball and haven't used the needle mode yet - rack up big points....

#3673 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

This will not fix all games Barry.... I machined out the last hole on the stainless guide to make it more adjustable. While it does help it still cannot hit the to target on even a 10% basis.
I used a slow motion camera and this is what I see.... when the ball travels up the shooter trough in the playfield it is about an 1/8 inch away from the wooden shooter lane edge and stainless ball guide. when the ball transition for the turn on a hard enough shot to hit the to target it does not transition for the turn smoothly because of the gap. The ball hits the guide moving forward then deflects in the transition once it hits the guide which causes it to not move flowing threw the guide.
I feel the only way to completely solve this is with another guide the sticks out an 1/8 inch closer to the ball at launch and runs comletly along the path of the existing guide.
I may work on a mod for this if AP does not have a different fix.

All three targets are hittable on the Houdini here. Harder plunge gives you the lower target usually.

#3674 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

All three targets are hittable on the Houdini here. Harder plunge gives you the lower target usually.

Not mine.

#3675 5 years ago

Post the vid you made?
It's entirely possible to rework the guide at the factory or aftermarket if necessary.

I wonder on how many games this condition exists?

With my luck it will be only me and you...

#3676 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

A little birdie told me it’s almost ready ... but I SERIOUSLY doubt it’s Kugler Family Pinball! ...Didn’t that already come out?

#3677 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

A little birdie told me it’s almost ready ... but I SERIOUSLY doubt it’s Kugler Family Pinball! ...Didn’t that already come out?

I'd like to know what your little birdie has been smoking, and where I can get some

only the prototype, you don't think 1000 people would want a machine about my family? I guess we might want to re-think it. Maybe we should do Fire and Brimstone.

#3678 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Song of the South!

#3679 5 years ago

Super soft plunge?
Have you tried moving to a brown shooter spring, low tension?

#3680 5 years ago

Finally had the chance to play a Houdini. It was at lvl 257 in Schaumburg and what a blast! I kept reading about how tight the shots are, and that surely didn’t disapppoint. The shots were tricky, but after getting a few games in me I was able to make them a little more reliably. It really is a beautiful game in person, and the theme is well integrated throughout. The lights are effective at telling you where to aim and the ruleset is great (although challenging). The call outs were good and I really enjoyed the sounds effects. It’s always a good feeling knowing that a game you just played will make its way into your collection.

#3681 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thanks to you and Josh for the response. Totally reasonable.

#3682 5 years ago

Is AP or a distributor bringing glass and shakers to Pintasic in New England?

#3683 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

This only appears to be the case the first time the 'status screen' appears. Once you get the screen and make a selection, if the screen appears on the marquee again, the game selects one for you.

#3684 5 years ago

Shaker ordered .... Thanks AP

#3685 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

KFP for the Win! I understand JJP is working on that already with a Quad spinning hexagon disk. Just a few more details to work out. I think AP is working on an unlicensed theme called "Pinside, there and back again" at least thats what the talking bird told me!

#3686 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Shaker ordered .... Thanks AP

Sweet! Me too!

#3687 5 years ago

Just played this at my Buddy's house and I thought it was off the hook awesome. On the radar for sure. I am really interested to see what the next game will be.

#3688 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Just played this at my Buddy's house and I thought it was off the hook awesome. On the radar for sure. I am really interested to see what the next game will be.

Bought one at pinfest John. Still in the box though. Awesome game!

#3689 5 years ago
Quoted from alexred:

This only appears to be the case the first time the 'status screen' appears. Once you get the screen and make a selection, if the screen appears on the marquee again, the game selects one for you.

What version of code are you on?

#3690 5 years ago

In the box? That is a crime!

Quoted from Pinphila:

Bought one at pinfest John. Still in the box though. Awesome game!

#3691 5 years ago

Subwoofer with this game makes it so much more intense and a shaker will be the cherry on top! Man love this game more and more every day

#3692 5 years ago

Any chance of having a spot in the menu to allow the bad words to play instead of bleeping them out? lol just thought I would ask!

#3693 5 years ago

Couldn’t wait to beef up the game room with Houdini swag...

Yes, Joe Balcer signed my translite and flyer... Pinball highlight of the year!!

just have to get Josh’s signature some day..

4E990FF7-A637-45B1-ADCB-11F3F92C4987 (resized).jpeg4E990FF7-A637-45B1-ADCB-11F3F92C4987 (resized).jpeg

A3B1CF5F-57E8-4089-87D3-31052D7AD936 (resized).jpegA3B1CF5F-57E8-4089-87D3-31052D7AD936 (resized).jpeg

FD10522B-7E33-44AB-9513-008CE90C977E (resized).jpegFD10522B-7E33-44AB-9513-008CE90C977E (resized).jpeg

9C19C070-4F02-4EB1-955B-13E452F3FC69 (resized).jpeg9C19C070-4F02-4EB1-955B-13E452F3FC69 (resized).jpeg

#3694 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Pretty sure the other day I completed it on the last flip, but I'll check it out to see. In theory the flippers should die after that film and then come right back to life when the target is hit.

I'll do some manual testing. I hit the e target on the right, then the ball went right down to the right flipper rather quickly, perhaps i caught the drain too quickly before the flippers found power again? Perhaps a quick ball save would correct?

#3695 5 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

I'll do some manual testing. I hit the e target on the right, then the ball went right down to the right flipper rather quickly, perhaps i caught the drain too quickly before the flippers found power again? Perhaps a quick ball save would correct?

If it was a direct drain off the last hit it would be ball over since during that mode a drain ends the ball, but if it hit a dead flipper that should be back alive at that point, you should not get hosed. I’ll have to check the timing on it.

#3696 5 years ago

Update - finally got 5.4.18 code installed. Tried a different USB and re-downloaded the file. Linux is finicky.

Anyway, it worked! Detected it right away. Update was really fast, and BAM! I'm at the latest. Turns out I was actually 2 updates behind, so I got the 4/27 code as well. I have an occasional issue where the ball is not detected in the catapult if I am in a mode, until it does a ball search. I have not checked the switch yet, but I don't think that's it because it detects the ball fine as long as I'm not in a mode.

that said, the new code is awesome! Game plays excellent, felt more fun somehow (maybe I was just having a good game). I hadn't seen some of the new Whoops! Hat pulls.

#3697 5 years ago

In on the new Freddy Kugler (and family) machine!! American pinball #2

#3698 5 years ago

You rang

Quoted from PinMonk:

His name is NOT Pingod, note. Perhaps he's tired of being berated by the machine for having "no skill"?
Seems like a weird request on a pinball machine, I agree.

#3699 5 years ago

Houdini is in the house!

Had a small scare. The pair of keys wire tied to the plunger were for the backbox, and the keys for the coin door were not there. Called AP and they said both pairs of keys are supposed to wire tied to the plunger. Looked around and I found them on the street where we had unboxed it. It would have been really bad because to get it into the house I had to take off the backbox. No keys = it’s stuck outside.

There are only a handful of wires between the backbox and the playfield so I thought it would be super easy. It turns out that you either need to disconnect the wires going to the power supply which are wire tied 6x, or you have to disconnect the USB and video cables from the CPU. Unfortunately to do that requires dismounting or removing most of the screws holding in the display and pivoting it. I like how JJP has the display on an arm for servicing. It would have made it much easier.

On the second game I had a ball in the lock, but the machine couldn’t find it. Even after a few ball searches it never released it. I looked at extending the coil hold time, but as best I can tell that setting doesn’t actually affect the timing when you’re in test mode. I saw no difference from the default setting of 5 vs. 20.

Updated the software to 18.5.4. Note: Houdini doesn’t like USB 3.x fobs. An older USB 2 fob worked. It wants MBR partitioning and FAT32 formatting which isn’t in the instructions.

I’m looking forward to exploring this game. I love the humor.

Edit: my coin door is really tight. I haven’t tried to figure out why yet. Anyone else?

D54040B2-0095-434D-B9D0-F53DC2A5AF0E (resized).jpegD54040B2-0095-434D-B9D0-F53DC2A5AF0E (resized).jpeg

#3700 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Edit: my coin door is really tight. I haven’t tried to figure out why yet. Anyone else?

My coin door is a little wobbly and I have to lift up to close the door.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/74?hl=ilushka85 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.