20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 297.
#3451 5 years ago
Quoted from foobeer:

I am now the proud owner of Houdini! Thanks to zmeny from SDTM for letting me buy his baby to let our family enjoy it for a while.
I first played Houdini at Chicago Expo, but the lines were long and they had quite a few breakdowns, so I was left a bit frustrated and underwhelmed. I then got the chance to play it again at Louisville Arcade Expo and loved it! I originally went over to put time on JJPOTC, but found myself wanting to play more and more Houdini instead. In fairness to JJPOTC, the machine that was at LAX was having issues and not playing very well at all.
The shots are definitely tight and I shoot enough bricks on it to build a house, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the unique layout, fantastic rules, well integrated theme, and overall awesome game!

Congrats. Houdini with a pinball celebrity pedigree! lol Zach is great and I am certain the machine was well cared for. As for the brick shots, I am having the same learning curve. At times I just have to shut it off and come back later as I feel like I am spending more time bricking it especially in the key lane area then shooting. Not sure if there are ways (level etc) to dial it or me in better but time will tell. Congrats.

#3452 5 years ago

Sorry if this has been already answered/solved..
Is there a way to get rid of the ghosting lights from chain inserts on the PF?
It is really hard to make a difference between what « modes/missions » has been done or not.
Thsnks!
Lou

#3453 5 years ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

Sorry if this has been already answered/solved..
Is there a way to get rid of the ghosting lights from chain inserts on the PF?
It is really hard to make a difference between what « modes/missions » has been done or not.
Thsnks!
Lou

I do not think they are ghosting....they are dim on purpose....and get brighter when you do the task...I think

#3454 5 years ago

Yes I know
Ghosting isn’t right
Anyways I think these lights shouldn’t be visible at all if a mode si not done.
Maybe someone will comme with a simple solution

#3455 5 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Looking forward to this!

It's gonna be fun showing off the new code! Join us on Saturday at 6 Eastern: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

#3456 5 years ago

Still amazed with what comes out of that magic shop.

#3457 5 years ago

I had the opportunity to visit Tilt Pinball Bar in Minneapolis yesterday and played quite a few games of Houdini. Prior to this, I only played a few games down in Orlando at The Pinball Lounge. I will use the rest of this post to share my experience and opinions.

Overall, I really enjoy playing the game. My first game last night was over 700k. Granted that was my best game of the night but I had more in the 500k range.

I did not find the game annoyingly difficult at all. Sure it is challenging with some tight shots, however, I could make all of them with just a bit of practice.

The key lane shot was not as hard as expected. I could hit that more often than not.

The shot to left that goes through the bumpers and to the stage is a great shot. I was hitting that shot with regularity. Many modes were started at 2x due to being able to hit that shot while the stage was open and the ball ending up in the stage. I absolutely love that shot.

The inner loop is challenging from the left flipper. It is tight. However, from the right flipper, I could backhand it greater than 75% of the time.

The right ramp is not that hard at all. Hit that pretty regularly in modes and jail escape.

The orbits are some of the easiest shots.

The milk can is definitely the hardest but I hit it directly from the flipper quite a few times. I would say 1 out of 4 on average.

I am by no means an expert at pinball. Nor am I trying to brag of my ability and/or luck. I am merely sharing that the game isn’t so hard where it can’t be enjoyed. If you have some reasonable level of ball control, these shots can be made. Most with pretty good regularity. Completing modes is very doable and with 2x mode scoring, points can build up quickly.

Trunk catapult worked 100%.

With all that said, here are the negatives that I noticed. Granted, this could be how the machine was set up.

I experienced a lot of airballs. Balls bouncing in catapult shot, jumping onto wire forms and even jumping over flipper or outlanes. Maybe it is due to excessive flipper power however, I wonder if the shots I could make would be more difficult if flipper powers was reduced.

Decorative artwork on top of flipper was knocked off. All cosmetic but likely from airballs that I mention above.

Stage door artwork damaged from repeated hits from ball.

API grand video screen faded in and out. Sometimes blacked out, sometimes ok.

Some wear on right scoop. Even though there was Mylar there, some wear was evident.

Overall, I love the game. I am going to try to go back tomorrow to play some more before I head back to Atlanta. I hope these observations and opinions are helpful. This game is still close to the top of my list for next purchase.

76F20414-F321-417D-9799-65733D1B2628 (resized).jpeg76F20414-F321-417D-9799-65733D1B2628 (resized).jpeg

#3458 5 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

I experienced a lot of airballs. Balls bouncing in catapult shot, jumping onto wire forms and even jumping over flipper or outlanes. Maybe it is due to excessive flipper power however, I wonder if the shots I could make would be more difficult if flipper powers was reduced.

Airballs are likely too much flipper power. You can dial it back to 21 (or even 20) which stops most airballs and allows you to still hit everything fine.

#3459 5 years ago

Guessing I will see how tight the shots are tonight!

15252830342811997217196 (resized).jpg15252830342811997217196 (resized).jpg

#3460 5 years ago

We just got this 'cliffy' for the Seance Scoop to test out, will be installed in my dev game shortly so we can see how it fits . . .
IMG_3158 (resized).JPGIMG_3158 (resized).JPG

#3461 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We just got this 'cliffy' for the Seance Scoop to test out,

I like how it is one piece.

LTG : )

#3462 5 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Trunk catapult worked 100%.

You have no idea how impressive that is!!! WOW

API grand video screen faded in and out. Sometimes blacked out, sometimes ok.

Most likely a loose connection.

#3463 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We just got this 'cliffy' for the Seance Scoop to test out, will be installed in my dev game shortly so we can see how it fits . . .

Excellent. Will these be standard on AP machines like JJP Dialed In?

#3464 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Excellent. Will these be standard on AP machines like JJP Dialed In?

As of now these will not be included as standard equipment.

#3465 5 years ago

Here it is installed, certainly possible cliffy will make changes.

7BD97414-8474-4A85-96E7-C9B5B1C3DFB8 (resized).jpeg7BD97414-8474-4A85-96E7-C9B5B1C3DFB8 (resized).jpeg

#3466 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Since my game is still months out go be built, I will say :

ADD IT TO THE LIST! Please
I want it all, you guys are amazing!

#3467 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Here it is installed, certainly possible cliffy will make changes.

What are those brackets on top of the scoop?

#3468 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Here it is installed, certainly possible cliffy will make changes

AP = outstanding product
Cliffy=outstanding product

Another win win

#3469 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

What are those brackets on top of the scoop?

To hold the shape so balls don't bend the curved part back. The way it is balls coming out shoot across the playfield rather than up in the air.

LTG : )

#3470 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

theresachance (resized).jpgtheresachance (resized).jpg

#3471 5 years ago

Got my box of magic today...but in true Houdini fashion, nothing is as simple at it seemed. Through a completely understandable error, my pin made the trip from Chicago to Colorado and back to Chicago before finally showing up here in Kansas. Lol. Working on the setup tonight and will fire her up tomorrow. With that said, I found these 3 fasteners rolling around in the cabinet, which is understandable, given the miles it traveled. Does anyone know where they belong? And should i look for another before firing up? Thanks.

1525311945035735963175 (resized).jpg1525311945035735963175 (resized).jpg

#3472 5 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Got my box of magic today...but in true Houdini fashion, nothing is as simple at it seemed. Through a completely understandable error, my pin made the trip from Chicago to Colorado and back to Chicago before finally showing up here in Kansas. Lol. Working on the setup tonight and will fire her up tomorrow. With that said, I found these 3 fasteners rolling around in the cabinet, which is understandable, given the miles it traveled. Does anyone know where they belong? And should i look for another before firing up? Thanks.

They're off the coin door. One top, one bottom on each of the two coin acceptor mechs.

pinball coin door (resized).jpgpinball coin door (resized).jpg

#3473 5 years ago

Played Houdini for the first time today. Man that play field is packed with cool things. One interesting thing I noticed was the chains on the bumbers. By the time I finished playing the chains were completely off the bumpers and sliding down the center of the play field. I guess I unlocked them.

#3474 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They're off the coin door. One top, one bottom on each of the two coin acceptor mechs.

Nice, thanks for the help!

#3475 5 years ago

One non complaint observation I wanted to share having Houdini for just a few days. The play and features of the game are Very power sensitive!! On day one I tested the game and the catapult was missing by a few inches. No issue one bump of coil setting and it’s spot on. The next day playing my wife decided to play CV and turn on one of the slot machine. Catapult way low now and it won’t even pop it up the wire ramp. Dial it up just one again and perfect. Shut off CV and Bam it’s practically hitting the back box! Just an observation especially those that have shared concerns playing at location spots where some or many games may be in use. Just Starting a second or third pin would cause the Houdini to act poorly from VUK to flippers etc. not sure I ever seen this temperament in any game before but thought I would share for others as these hit home/field arcades.

#3476 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

One non complaint observation I wanted to share having Houdini for just a few days. The play and features of the game are Very power sensitive!! On day one I tested the game and the catapult was missing by a few inches. No issue one bump of coil setting and it’s spot on. The next day playing my wife decided to play CV and turn on one of the slot machine. Catapult way low now and it won’t even pop it up the wire ramp. Dial it up just one again and perfect. Shut off CV and Bam it’s practically hitting the back box! Just an observation especially those that have shared concerns playing at location spots where some or many games may be in use. Just Starting a second or third pin would cause the Houdini to act poorly from VUK to flippers etc. not sure I ever seen this temperament in any game before but thought I would share for others as these hit home/field arcades.

I used to have that problem.
Now I have dedicated 20 amp power to my game room.
It's on a separate panel.
But when the street power is low I can feel it in the games.

#3477 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I used to have that problem.
Now I have dedicated 20 amp power to my game room.
It's on a separate panel.
But when the street power is low I can feel it in the games.

I have 3 dedicated 20 amp breakers to the game room also plus I must remind you said you still do not Own a Houdini I believe?. You can typically run 4-5 machines on a 20 amp circuit. Not so much in my opinion with Houdini. In testing, if I run 2 machines of my 12 (seen someone else prior make this observation) if you hold the flipper up in an attempt to dead catch it will basically knock the flipper down just with ball hit. Also have odd volume issues raising and lowering on both machines though I’m not sure if that’s power related. Just for fun we turned on Star Wars, Hoidini, and CV and the Hoidini catapult barely made it half way. I can only turn it up if I Know that the other games will be in operation or it ball over trunk time. Finicky fella this Houdini. Think I’m learning why pinball machines always had so many monster capacitors for so many years. Makes sense now.

#3478 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Seems like maybe your house wiring is struggling to deliver consistent power? We have Houdini where 3 pins are sharing one outlet 24/7 and it has no problems. Catapult has 100% success and flippers are strong...

#3479 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I have 3 dedicated 20 amp breakers to the game room also. You can typically run 4-5 machines on a 20 amp circuit. Not so much in my opinion with Houdini. In testing, if I run 2 machines of my 12 (seen someone else prior make this observation) if you hold the flipper up in an attempt to dead catch it will basically knock the flipper down just with ball hit. Also have odd volume issues raising and lowering on both machines though I’m not sure if that’s power related. Just for fun we turned on Star Wars, Hoidini, and CV and the Hoidini catapult barely made it half way. I can only turn it up if I Know that the other games will be in operation or it ball over trunk time. Finicky fella this Houdini. Think I’m learning why pinball machines always had so many monster capacitors for so many years. Makes sense now.

I'd put a multimeter on the outlet with the machines going in that situation to see if you're getting consistent base voltage.

#3480 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'd put a multimeter on the outlet with the machines going in that situation to see if you're getting consistent base voltage.

Ok I can do that thought I fairly certain with the 100amp service that room has never had an issue but I can check again. In turn, I would ask if you could dial you Hoidini in and fire up those other 2 machine (running not GI lighting) IE playing all three as friends come over and let me know if that doesn’t change your Houdini capabilities. Then for fun turn them off and only run Houdini. I suspect it will be different?

#3481 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok I can do that thought I fairly certain with the 100amp service that room has never had an issue but I can check again. In turn, I would ask if you could dial you Hoidini in and fire up those other 2 machine (running not GI lighting) IE playing all three as friends come over and let me know if that doesn’t change your Houdini capabilities. Then for fun turn them off and only run Houdini. I suspect it will be different?

I adjusted the catapult at my house and played it for a week with no other pins on that circuit in the garage. Brought the pin to the location with the other pins and didn't have to adjust any of the coils. Worked the same with 3 pins on one plug as it had at home when it was the only pin in the garage. At the location, there are many cases where all three pins are being played at the same time and no issues with Houdini's catapult or flippers that I've seen.

#3482 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I adjusted the catapult at my house and played it for a week with no other pins on that circuit in the garage. Brought the pin to the location with the other pins and didn't have to adjust any of the coils. Worked the same with 3 pins on one plug as it had at home when it was the only pin in the garage. At the location, there are many cases where all three pins are being played at the same time and no issues with Houdini's catapult or flippers that I've seen.

Thanks Virland, always value your input. I will keep an eye on maybe it’s just breaking in. Just wanted to share an observation for others that have made comments about inconsistencies in play from location to location.

#3483 5 years ago

Yeah baby! Joined the club ))))))

I have been waiting for this game since the day it was announced (at expo 2 years ago). Thank goodness I didn’t buy that game...

Just got several games in (crap, I forgot to level the cab!!) and it’s just as awesome as I remember. This game is bastardly hard! Super fun, and I love the steampunk theme. Only suggestion I can echo is that the game will benefit from a sub, or Maybe I’ll just add
A Bally woofer.. haha

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#3484 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks Virland, always value your input. I will keep an eye on maybe it’s just breaking in. Just wanted to share an observation for others that have made comments about inconsistencies in play from location to location.

I'd definitely use a multimeter to check the voltage on your outlet with Houdini under load. If that's dropping low it can cause what you describe...

#3485 5 years ago

I have mine on the same circuit as two other machines and never notice a difference when they are on / played, etc. In fact I don't think the catapult shot has missed once since I did the original adjustment when we got it a month abo.

#3486 5 years ago

So,is this another pin I have to adjust out of box??I've been to the location where virelands pins are and I've played it with all 3 going! Didn't seem to hinder any performance!!

#3487 5 years ago

my Houdini plays the same when I have 30 other games turned on in my game room as it does with none of the games turned on...Houdini is on a plug with 5 other games and I notice no difference at all.Once I set up the catapult it is about 99% successful.

#3488 5 years ago

Pincades
Houdini Update: I will have 2 left for sale @ the Show
These are NIB games that will be opened and used in my booth on Friday and Sat.
These will have Magic Glass & Art Blades Installed with them. $400 in Add Ons.
These will be for Sale on A first come first serve. The Price is $7100.00 (Savings of over $300 on a open box game)
Feel free to contact me via PM or call me 219-808-6063. calling me will be quicker.

I have 6 Sheets of Magic Glass Left Available @ 295.00 a Sheet.

I will take some reasonable priced games on trade for nib pre orders.

See ya @ The Show
Pincades
Jesse T

#3489 5 years ago

I ordered the 8 piece plastic protectors from Little shop of games. On attempt one tracking said the package went to dead mail (didn’t even know this was a thing) attempt 2 I recieved an envelope with a hand written note, another note from the usps saying we care about your mail but it was lost. On attempt 3 I finally recieved the protectors. A big THANK YOU to little shop of games for sending me 3 sets of plastic protectors. On the hand written notes i received there were jokes about Houdini escaping from the mail.

BEDAD18B-695B-4F8C-BD42-8808DB834EA4 (resized).jpegBEDAD18B-695B-4F8C-BD42-8808DB834EA4 (resized).jpeg

5C5F19CF-900C-4CA2-8921-7E73187AC3B6 (resized).jpeg5C5F19CF-900C-4CA2-8921-7E73187AC3B6 (resized).jpeg

65FD0930-55D6-459C-9137-4F90FA364537 (resized).jpeg65FD0930-55D6-459C-9137-4F90FA364537 (resized).jpeg

#3490 5 years ago

3 hours later all 8 plastic protectors installed along with Titan silicone, mylared the shooter lane and Tiltgraphix blades. This game is looking beautiful!! (3 hours cause i take my time and alot of Jameson was involved )

B3514D28-33F1-4026-933D-38702BEE090A (resized).jpegB3514D28-33F1-4026-933D-38702BEE090A (resized).jpeg

F788AD3D-C553-4842-8ABA-F14999F76BCA (resized).jpegF788AD3D-C553-4842-8ABA-F14999F76BCA (resized).jpeg

#3491 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

...The play and features of the game are Very power sensitive!!

The catapult should have its own dedicated power supply. Placement near the launch point would help too.

#3492 5 years ago

Houdini found it's way, beautiful game! Congrats AP! Unfortunately I can't get much play time yet, it thinks a ball is draining and ends the ball in play. I will check it out more later.....

IMG_1913[1] (resized).JPGIMG_1913[1] (resized).JPG

#3493 5 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

Unfortunately I can't get much play time yet, it thinks a ball is draining and ends the ball in play. I will check it out more later.....

Houdini made a 7th ball, game needs 6. An extra ball isn't always a good thing

Thanks Barry!

#3494 5 years ago

Well, this happened:

Second or third time I hit the trunk, this metal bracket crashed down onto the PF! I think it covers the LED strip in the backboard, but I can’t figure out how to reattach it. Help!

381F2C53-6DB7-4F28-AC72-76987B76C3A6 (resized).jpeg381F2C53-6DB7-4F28-AC72-76987B76C3A6 (resized).jpeg

#3495 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Just repeating this since there seems to be some confusion. This is a product that Cliffy is making and he will be selling. Because of requests from many of you, we have been working with him by providing him a playfield and then checking what he has made to make sure it is going to fit correctly. There are NO plans to provide these from the factory or to include them.

#3496 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think it covers the LED strip in the backboard, but I can’t figure out how to reattach it. Help!

Amazing how often I find myself saying "haven't seen that before", I guess that is pinball.

Alerted Barry, he will get back to you with some info on how to re-attach.

#3497 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well, this happened:
Second or third time I hit the trunk, this metal bracket crashed down onto the PF! I think it covers the LED strip in the backboard, but I can’t figure out how to reattach it. Help!

Sorry this has happened..

You will need a 1/4" nut driver.

First you will need to pull the playfield out and place it on it's service stands (yellow things on the bottom of the playfield).

The LED strip on the back of the playfield wall will have 3 screws, loosen them and the shield will slide behind the LED strip, retighten the 3 screws.. Should be good to go.

833-API-HELP > Barry

#3498 5 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

I ordered the 8 piece plastic protectors from Little shop of games. On attempt one tracking said the package went to dead mail (didn’t even know this was a thing) attempt 2 I recieved an envelope with a hand written note, another note from the usps saying we care about your mail but it was lost. On attempt 3 I finally recieved the protectors. A big THANK YOU to little shop of games for sending me 3 sets of plastic protectors. On the hand written notes i received there were jokes about Houdini escaping from the mail.

Little shop is awesome. They ship fast and they have SO much stuff that is hard to find at other shops. I’ve bought probably 4 full plastics sets from them and a million other things

#3499 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Sorry this has happened..
You will need a 1/4" nut driver.
First you will need to pull the playfield out and place it on it's service stands (yellow things on the bottom of the playfield).
The LED strip on the back of the playfield wall will have 3 screws, loosen them and the shield will slide behind the LED strip, retighten the 3 screws.. Should be good to go.
833-API-HELP > Barry

Aah that makes sense! Thanks guys. Darn it, now I need to wait until I get home!!

#3500 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Aah that makes sense! Thanks guys. Darn it, now I need to wait until I get home!!

Same thing happened to me. Since your there loosing those 3 screws. Take a moment and bend the bracket towards the backboard a little. Now when you tighten it all back up you will get that extra pinch to hold that Led strip shield on better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/70?hl=adamross and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.