20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 297.
#251 7 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

I have seen the development of this game over the last few months, and to have two shooting games built in less then a few weeks is epic. These guys spent 12-16 hours a day or more to get this ready for the TPF roll out. I have personally seen it from the start of the measurements, art work, design, and cad drawings ,on to the Toys from Back Alley Creations, Laser cut parts from laseriffic and others till now a flipping game. These guys hit this deep into center field over the wall with this one. Hats off to all involved @ American Pinball.
I was lucky enough to get to shoot this game for over 3 hours of testing and programming ( from Josh ) last Monday Evening, yes there are some tough shots on the game as well as easier ones, It's Pinball!, Tougher games aggravate you, make you a better player, and bring you back for more fun.
Pincades
Jesse T

And of course you can get one of these from Jesse as well!

#252 7 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Tougher games aggravate you, make you a better player, and bring you back for more fun.
Pincades
Jesse T

straight out of my favorite chapter of the pinball bible!!
amen!!

#253 7 years ago

When are they planning to actually offering this to the public? Did they mention anything about dates?

1 week later
#254 7 years ago

Pin looks awesome, but I prefer Jpops version, too bad that wasn't the design. Did they drop Jpop and really didn't want to associate themselves with him?

#255 7 years ago
Quoted from TotanMan:

Pin looks awesome, but I prefer Jpops version, too bad that wasn't the design. Did they drop Jpop and really didn't want to associate themselves with him?

Jpop has nothing to do with this game. Yes they have zero to do with him on Houdini. And the old design wasn't playable

#256 7 years ago

I would like wider entrance of ramp and the mini loop beside, I would not like to spend my time shooting the post in a game (yes I know, play better?) and a more colorful playfield. I really liked the previous one in this way. Just some suggestions

#257 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I think you might have misunderstood.......The game was playing at that point, no lights or sounds wired up yet. Just take a few seconds to think about it and it makes more sense.

Actually, I was right - when I said it wouldn't make it based on the description of it literally being unwired at the time. No coils, nothing. But these guys pulled a bunch of all-nighters to do the impossible. So, major kudos. The only thing I was wrong about was underestimating their ability.

#258 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Jpop has nothing to do with this game. Yes they have zero to do with him on Houdini. And the old design wasn't playable

Yes the current Houdini game has nothing to do with Jpop, but the first, unplayable, that was designed by Jpop, and that version I liked visually a lot more because it has a 90s feel to it. The current Houdini design is also cool. I even emailed the dudes at American-Pinball about buying one and got no response....

I don't know the details of Jpop making a prototype model, did he pitch the idea to those guys? They bought the idea from him? I saw a few large threads here but nothing with details.

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from TotanMan:

Yes the current Houdini game has nothing to do with Jpop, but the first, unplayable, that was designed by Jpop, and that version I liked visually a lot more because it has a 90s feel to it. The current Houdini design is also cool. I even emailed the dudes at American-Pinball about buying one and got no response....
I don't know the details of Jpop making a prototype model, did he pitch the idea to those guys? They bought the idea from him? I saw a few large threads here but nothing with details.

Go to the jpop thread for that info... this is ap Houdini.. nothing to do with him

#260 7 years ago

catapult in action

#261 7 years ago

I wonder how many cycles it will take for that coil to wear down enough that it weakens to the point of slamming the ball into the front of the chest instead.

#262 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I wonder how many cycles it will take for that coil to wear down enough that it weakens to the point of slamming the ball into the front of the chest instead.

I'm guessing they thought of that and that you can adjust the power in the settings maybe?

#263 7 years ago

Quite a bit cooler than the levitating ball thing, even if it did work...

#264 7 years ago

There will be settings to adjust power. We are in the process of doing testing around its performance under heavy use and over time. We also have tracking on the success rate, which at TPF was approaching 95% and that was on close to 500 throws. I've also added code that you still get credit for the lock (when that is the purpose of the throw), even if it misses.

#265 7 years ago

will this be at MGC this weekend??????

#266 7 years ago

I'd say there is a decent chance Houdini will make a limited appearance at MGC on Saturday. If it does, it will be just one machine and we will have it on 2 ball play to try to give as many people as possible a chance to play. I'd like to avoid one ball play, since be a real bummer for someone to wait in line and get a house ball. Of course if we find ball/game times are too long, we will change that. I've considered adding code that if you first ball is more then X minutes, you don't get a second ball, but probably won't have time to do that and properly test it.

#267 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

There will be settings to adjust power. We are in the process of doing testing around its performance under heavy use and over time. We also have tracking on the success rate, which at TPF was approaching 95% and that was on close to 500 throws. I've also added code that you still get credit for the lock (when that is the purpose of the throw), even if it misses.

it was 0 for 3 for me Glad its being worked on and the code will award locks for misses, that is a smart addition. I'm sure its not easy task to get tackle. Did you notice any variables to the misses, like the longer the game had been on (i.e coils got hotter for being played non-stop) it missed more? Or is it just pretty random when it didnt make it?

Look forward to my next chance to play it. Will you guys be bringing it to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown in Denver?

#268 7 years ago

This pin looks great and the catapult idea is awesome.

#269 7 years ago
Quoted from TotanMan:

Yeah it would be great to hear the real story of why they helped him. What the real deal was. You know they got scammed so the total truth would just be great to come out.

Does anyone know the hardware the game is using?

As that was first question asked in which they seemed to be starting from scratch and didn't have an answer either.

So even more of a major accomplishment in four months if it's all there own boards.

#270 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'd say there is a decent chance Houdini will make a limited appearance at MGC on Saturday. If it does, it will be just one machine and we will have it on 2 ball play to try to give as many people as possible a chance to play. I'd like to avoid one ball play, since be a real bummer for someone to wait in line and get a house ball. Of course if we find ball/game times are too long, we will change that. I've considered adding code that if you first ball is more then X minutes, you don't get a second ball, but probably won't have time to do that and properly test it.

What about just a simple game-time limit? 5 minutes and then dead flippers & "Thanks for playing."

#271 7 years ago

2 minutes...

#272 7 years ago
Quoted from TotanMan:

I agree, visually it did look good but who wants a pinball machine that looks good but plays like a Magic Girl? I sure don't and I think the Houdini be AP looks different but good in its own way.

#273 7 years ago

That's the way mustang was coded for it's introduction at the Chicago Auto Show. It kept the lines moving.

#274 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

it was 0 for 3 for me

One of the machines at TPF had a bad power supply, that ultimately crapped out and we replaced with a spare. That one was not consistent until after we replaced the power supply. It was making us crazy as to why one was hitting it nearly every time and the other could be great 10 in a row and then come up totally short or totally long. Never going to be 100%, but I think we will be happy if we are consistently over 90%.

Quoted from chadderack:

What about just a simple game-time limit? 5 minutes and then dead flippers & "Thanks for playing."

I'd hate for someone to be in a really cool mode and suddenly have the game crap out. But certainly an option we can look at.

I think that is a little too short, I want folks to get to see the catapult in action or the stage mechanism, which has a curtain that opens and closes and once inside the ball can disappear and/or appear. It is also where the primary modes get started, including straitjacket multiball (and for anyone who gets that at MGC or other shows we are at, you have to go for the hanging/inverted version).

Quoted from Pinballlew:

I agree, visually it did look good but who wants a pinball machine that looks good but plays like a Magic Girl?

Joe spent time looking at how to make the original playable, but ultimately decided it was best to just start over. There were parts of the original art I really liked and some parts no so much (like not really looking like Houdini). Ultimately, completely starting over on everything made a lot of sense, there was just too much baggage otherwise.

Quoted from CNKay:

Does anyone know the hardware the game is using?

Game is running on the multimorphic board set (e.g. p-roc), with all inserts being direct wired RGBs.

#275 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'd hate for someone to be in a really cool mode and suddenly have the game crap out. But certainly an option we can look at.

How about if the game goes longer than 3 minutes, it ends when the ball drains?

#276 7 years ago

I think the game looks awesome...and Josh providing info and repeatedly chiming in is making the evolution of Houdini until I can buy one in a box that much better.

#277 7 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

How about if the game goes longer than 3 minutes, it ends when the ball drains?

That is what I had mentioned above, just not sure I have the time to implement and test before MGC, have a few other things higher on my list.

#278 7 years ago

I understand wanting a bit longer, but with the math of 5 minutes per person.....It's 50 minutes per only 10 people....

#279 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

catapult in action
» YouTube video

Huh?
What?!!
The ball flies through the entire machine into a box?!
And all you guys want to know if it starts to wear over time?!
That is awseome!
Wow,it is like medieval madness catapult but it doesn't need a ramp,Josh mind tricked the ball into thinking there is a ramp hahaha.
Awesome
I think we can expect a lot from Josh,he makes crazy things man..
You kick ass..in a few years you might even be on my level if you work real hard

#280 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

About the same time it will take for Aerosmith's lock shot to do the same.

#281 7 years ago

Hi Rosh,

I hope you dont mind an opinion.

It deals with timed play.
I love safecracker, and a Timed mode, with the ability perhaps to add time, fits right in.

Say, Water Torture Mode.....How Long Can you Hold your Breath?
This is a timed mode, where even players, like they did at shows, could toy with holding their own breath!

Straight Jacket, Handcuffs too.....Best Time to Escape Awards, Extra Time to Escape...

Just Brain farting.......

#282 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I understand wanting a bit longer, but with the math of 5 minutes per person.....It's 50 minutes per only 10 people....

That's only if 10 people have the skill to last the full 5 of course.

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

... that's 36 games per hour (using three machines) x 10 hours a day times over 2.5 days = 900 games played, if people average the entire 5 min. 3 min per game is a likelier outcome, so even if you set timer for 5 min max per game, you would see 1,200 plays over a show weekend.

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hi Rosh,
I hope you dont mind an opinion.
It deals with timed play.
I love safecracker, and a Timed mode, with the ability perhaps to add time, fits right in.
Say, Water Torture Mode.....How Long Can you Hold your Breath?
This is a timed mode, where even players, like they did at shows, could toy with holding their own breath!
Straight Jacket, Handcuffs too.....Best Time to Escape Awards, Extra Time to Escape...
Just Brain farting.......

Always happy to hear opinions, ideas, thoughts. Nice thing is I get to decide what to do with them

I'm not really familiar with safecracker, so I'm not 100% sure what 'timed' means in this case vs a classic 'timed mode'. I'm guessing this is some sort of a 'do it or die (e.g. ball ends)'. Assuming so, I did want to do some of that, but there was a general sense that it would not necessarily be acceptable to many. Having said that, we do have two modes that are that way. These are both 'after outlane drain' modes, that can be earned/enabled during play, and then if you drain through an outlane that is enabled, you get a 'limited' mode, during which either you achieve the goal before the limit is reached, and continue your ball, or you don't and the ball officially ends.

The idea of holding your breath is interesting relative to how he would do that in his shows (although I have not confirmed he had actually done that or not), but not sure how you would really encourage a player to do that, but we can certainly suggest it to a player. Certainly the idea behind straitjacket multiball (reversed or reversed and inverted flippers), was that to play that effectively, you cross your arms like in a straitjacket.

There is already an 'award' for fastest jail escapes (meaning, fastest time across all five of the jail escapes (hurry ups). There are a couple of other awards that can earn you a 'high score' entry.

There are modes where you can earn more time to increase your chances of completing the illusion or extending it to score more points.

As I said, open to suggestions and ideas, thus the reason I posted a lot of detail on the rules. I've got a lot of ideas and a vision for the game, but, I'm always happy to 'borrow' the ideas of others.

#285 7 years ago

I hope you will bring this game to Pintastic new England. Would love for us New England pinball folks to see and play it. I am sure some of the collectors up here might have a major interest in this game too.

#286 7 years ago
Quoted from mainelycoasters:

I hope you will bring this game to Pintastic new England.

We are working through our show schedule and that is certainly one we are looking at. Our goal is to do our best to get to the bigger shows in each region of the country and certainly down the road we would like to get Houdini to the other side of the pond.

#287 7 years ago

I would love to see it and I am sure many people for New York, Mass, CT, Nh, and Maine would make the trip as well....

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from mainelycoasters:

I would love to see it and I am sure many people for New York, Mass, CT, Nh, and Maine would make the trip as well....

Don't forget the Canadians. Pintastic is 5 hours from the Canadian boarder.

#289 7 years ago

Just heard that Houdini is going to be at Pin a Go Go!!!!!!

Can't wait to see it in person.

#290 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We are working through our show schedule and that is certainly one we are looking at. Our goal is to do our best to get to the bigger shows in each region of the country and certainly down the road we would like to get Houdini to the other side of the pond.

Will you guys be bringing it to pinfest in allentown? It's the biggest show on the east coast it's like Texas, but for us east coasters. Really a shame if you guys wouldn't be there?

#291 7 years ago

I can't wait to give this a go on Saturday at MGC. I am still amazed how much of a 180 american pinball did by hiring the right people and completely redoing this theme from scratch in such a short time since Expo.

#292 7 years ago

HHHHMMMMMMM Who will be bringing it there?????????

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

HHHHMMMMMMM Who will be bringing it there?????????

Just some troublemaker we know, who is going to show up at our offices earlier than I would like

#294 7 years ago

At MGC will be set to one player, one ball, but if that ball is less that X seconds you will get a second ball. Have not decided on X yet.

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Just some troublemaker we know, who is going to show up at our offices earlier than I would like

#296 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

At MGC will be set to one player, one ball, but if that ball is less that X seconds you will get a second ball. Have not decided on X yet.

60 seconds

#297 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

After a long discussion I was out voted, and it will be one player, two ball. We of course could change that based on what we see happening.

#298 7 years ago

Northwest pinball show in June please!

10 year anniversary

#299 7 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Northwest pinball show in June please!

Likely

#300 7 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Just heard that Houdini is going to be at Pin a Go Go!!!!!!
Can't wait to see it in person.

Okay, that settles it - going to Pin a Go Go for sure this year!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/6?hl=ricflair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.