20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 297.
#3401 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Mod couple...( Got it right this time)
Congrats on your new game.
What numbered machines did you get?
Think I see Hou1208? And?...
Wow....So amazing American Pinball!
Do i count 100 machines shipped in April?

My games were #218 and #208. Both Flawless! Time for the Mod Couple to get to work......

#3402 5 years ago

Houdini arrives today!!! Any suggestions or things to check before I start playing?

#3403 5 years ago

I'm out of the club. Houdini was not the right game for me. Fortunately it was easy to trade it for something else. American Pinball, you guys are great though and I wish you the best.

#3404 5 years ago

Just got a tracking number, looks like this coming week for our game.

#3405 5 years ago

OK,lots of second thoughts going on! Whats the deal??Are the shots just to tight? I've heard about the flow,some saying its slow go and requires you to hit targets in sequence? PinballTilt is out,any thoughts??

#3406 5 years ago

Hello Houdini!

20180428_101103 (resized).jpg20180428_101103 (resized).jpg

#3407 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Houdini arrives today!!! Any suggestions or things to check before I start playing?

There is a set of instructions when opening box. Pretty plain forward like most unboxings.
Leg levelers should start all the way up, screwed up touching legs.
If your on carpet check your pitch, ideal is 6.5 deg.
Glass off, eject balls, go to menu, first screen, all the way to right, select, coin door open , pull interlock switch out, hit start, all 6 balls should come out. My game shipped with balls in through.
Now go to coils in settings. Hand feed ball into lower catapult, check to see how balls go into trunk. Adjust by 1, up or down depending on how it goes in, or no adjustment if good.
Place all 6 balls in through. It far right button twice, game will go in to attract.
Play and have fun all day, pump up the volume.
Oh, put glass back on.

#3408 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I'm out of the club. Houdini was not the right game for me. Fortunately it was easy to trade it for something else. American Pinball, you guys are great though and I wish you the best.

That quick!
Sorry it didnt work, glad trade was easy.

Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK,lots of second thoughts going on! Whats the deal??Are the shots just to tight? I've heard about the flow,some saying its slow go and requires you to hit targets in sequence? PinballTilt is out,any thoughts??

Hawkmoon. Cant speak for pinballtilt but game is challenging, ie Woz is best example. Combination of shots to earm modes. 25 modes in total with some mini wizard modes.
Shots are tight, but not that tight, all doable with a little practice and feel for flow. Yes my first 20 or so games were drain monsters but over past month and half Ive only enjoyed the game more and more.
With any game some arent for all.
Example, not a fan of Medieval madness, but some swear by it. Im not a WCS 94 fan based on theme, ok to play, but wouldnt buy one.
Always play a game before purchasing perhaps best advice.

#3409 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

You aren't required to hit targets in sequence but the game rewards you for doing it. That is how you get the Seance super jackpot. It's a risk reward sort of thing and just adds another layer of depth to the game or something else to try to achieve.

#3410 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

I don't see lots of second thoughts on Houdini. Go check out the JJPPOTC thread for "lots of second thoughts." Seems to be a lot of people still waiting in line to get their Houdini.

I call BS on the shots are too tight reputation. There are tight shots on every game that is worth playing. I've said this many times...I'm a below average play and I can purposefully hit every shot, every game, with the exception of the Milkcan shot. If I concentrate on getting to Trunk Multiball I can usually get it now. I don't find Houdini to be a "slow go" game either. It's just as intense as a flow-style game but in a different way. You have to make shots count to complete the timed modes.

Houdini presents you with a lot of options as you progress through a game. You can go with the flow of the game or you can choose to concentrate on one four types of modes; stage modes, movies, escapes or secret missions. If you are go with the flow then one moment you're starting a stage mode, the next the game throws an Escape Hurry-up at you, then Houdini starts a movie mode and meanwhile your stage mode timer is running out, do you try to hit the "Add Time" at the orbit? meanwhile the Magic shop is giving you a mystery award that may change your current strategy, then you might have started a secret mission combo mode. By this time in the game, you've spelled Seance by accident and then do you start Seance Multiball or try to get a stage mode going first? Houdini is hardly a "slow go" game.

#3411 5 years ago

Here is a small update with some fixes for the issues you guys have been reporting. Still working on tracking down a few race conditions with multiballs.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/updates/

Fixed — issue with scoop not ejecting a ball after certain game sequences
Fixed — Off feature for Match was causing the match music to play during attract mode
Fixed — issue with stage opening during one of the outlane modes
Fixed — jail escape hurry-ups continuing to count down during card king
Fixed -- issue with showing 'status' screen on marquee when it should be one of the illusions
Modified — API Cockpit settings screens now highlight in green if current value is the default for all rows, not just the currently selected row.
Modified — minor tweaks to high score entry screen
New — Fastest Escapes recognition (inspired by TNA/Scott Danesi)
• Handcuff Escape
• Water Torture Escape

#3412 5 years ago

Thanks Josh! Go enjoy the weekend.

#3413 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Definitely a slower pace, but I like that variety. Huge contrast going between Houdini and Iron Maiden, but they're goth good in different ways.

Quoted from rosh:

Here is a small update with some fixes for the issues you guys have been reporting. Still working on tracking down a few race conditions with multiballs.

Thanks! Any idea when the filenames will be changed to include the date/version?

#3414 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks! Any idea when the filenames will be changed to include the date/version?

The filename is the date

#3415 5 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

The filename is the date

No, the filename is "houdini-gamecode.pkg" - no date or version. They're all named the same thing right now, but Josh has said they were transitioning to having the version/date in the filename as is standard with everyone else.

#3416 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No, the filename is "houdini-gamecode.pkg" - no date or version. They're all named the same thing right now, but Josh has said they were transitioning to having the version/date in the filename as is standard with everyone else.

Its the same as with the JJP updates, You can name the zip file whatever you want but the actual package after unzipping will have the same real name.

I have to be super careful and put new unzipped updates in their own folder with a proper folder name for them so I can keep track.

The only trouble I have had is when I pick up a flash drive with a file on it, I dont have any idea what version it is from the name.

#3417 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Its the same as with the JJP updates, You can name the zip file whatever you want but the actual package after unzipping will have the same real name.
I have to be super careful and put new unzipped updates in their own folder with a proper folder name for them so I can keep track.
The only trouble I have had is when I pick up a flash drive with a file on it, I dont have any idea what version it is from the name.

I use version dated folders for all downloaded updates, but having the version and/or date IN the filename for the update would be very useful.

#3418 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Any idea when the filenames will be changed to include the date/version?

I have a contractor do the OS stuff and we are still finalizing the details of the change request.

#3419 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Any tips on how to consistently hit the milkcan loop?

Best I can offer is take it from a cradled ball. Much more challenging to estimate postion off the tip of flipper when the ball is rolling at varying speeds.

So ... cradle, wait until almost at tip of flipper and gently flip THEN ...

the most important part (for me) was to use this bit of advice - it stopped a ton (I mean maybe 80%) of pop-outs from shots that were "made" but did not stay through the loop and literally popped back out

It's basically 2 strategically placed felt "dots" - this worked for me like a champ

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/63#post-4348200

#3420 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I'm sorry to hear that. I've owned just about every top Stern or W/B game over the years and Houdini is just a blast for me.
The shots are not that bad, but do require you to develop some skill. What I do love, and so does my wife is how the game tells you what to shoot for.
Her favorite game of all time was TOM, and this is version 2.0+. Loving Houdini, what a great experience.

#3421 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Hello Houdini!

Well, hows it going? Been playing all day?

#3422 5 years ago

API Grand Theater Stickers are awesome! Well worth the $30. Beatmaster also threw in a Houdini poster magnet that looks great on the coin door.

IMG_3173 (resized).JPGIMG_3173 (resized).JPG

IMG_3178 (resized).JPGIMG_3178 (resized).JPG

#3423 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

API Grand Theater Stickers are awesome! Well worth the $30. Beatmaster also threw in a Houdini poster magnet that looks great on the coin door.

Agreed, they are a great cover to the black box.

#3424 5 years ago

BTW, I created a Houdini rulesheet on Tilt Forums. That seems to be the default location for publishing rulesheets. Feel free to discuss rules in the comments section below the rulesheet.

http://tiltforums.com/t/houdini-rulesheet

#3425 5 years ago

Does anyone else experience random multi-balls without any proper MB call-outs? It's almost as if balls are randomly added to my playfield without being in a MB. Wondering if there's something wrong with my game..

#3426 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Does anyone else experience random multi-balls without any proper MB call-outs? It's almost as if balls are randomly added to my playfield without being in a MB. Wondering if there's something wrong with my game..

Check under the PF in the area before the scoop VUK on the right. If that U shaped assembly (that has 3 optos and 3 receivers) that goes over the subway trough leading up to the scoop VUK has come loose from the playfield, it drops low and causes the optos to behave weird, resulting in what we came to call "surprise multiballs" like you're describing. Once I tightened it back up to the playfield, these went away for us.

#3427 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

I have definitely seen this happen but not so far with the new code, albeit I've only played about 10-20 games on it. There are modes that become MB when you reach certain stages and there are no call-outs to tell you it's planned based on my experiences so far.

#3428 5 years ago

Just got my houdini delivered and installed a few hours ago got to play one ball before catching a flight to Europe for week long vacation. I was seriously considering cancelling the vacation as tna delivered yesterday and Houdini today.

Going to be a crappy week waiting to come back home.

Is the shaker out yet ?

#3429 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Check under the PF in the area before the scoop VUK on the right. If that U shaped assembly (that has 3 optos and 3 receivers) that goes over the subway trough leading up to the scoop VUK has come loose from the playfield, it drops low and causes the optos to behave weird, resulting in what we came to call "surprise multiballs" like you're describing. Once I tightened it back up to the playfield, these went away for us.

Thanks for the tip Vireland. I assume you're referring to this assembly? If so, it feels really secure. Do the optos dictate how many balls are sent onto the playfield? The issue has become pretty consistent now, happening every game.

RenderedImage (resized).jpegRenderedImage (resized).jpeg

#3430 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Thanks for the tip Vireland. I assume you're referring to this assembly? If so, it feels really secure. Do the optos dictate how many balls are sent onto the playfield? The issue has become pretty consistent now, happening every game.

Yeah, that looks pretty secure. I know the earlier builds were losing track of balls a LOT, but the newer is a LOT better. Are you running 4/27 code? Also, have you checked all the optos to make sure they register correctly in switch test mode? You can test the optos on that assembly you pictured by sliding a piece or paper between the metal and the opto so you don't have to take the assembly off to test it. I'd check all your switches to make sure they work right.

Then, once you've established that, I'd do a glass off test in switch test mode where you hit the PF with the palm of your hand to see if any trigger from vibration (which would also cause issues).

#3431 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Mine has started to do it too after the last Code Update 04/27/18. But it keeps track of the balls in play, ie, when one of the two balls drain, software knows that the other ball is still in play. Happened to me twice in the last 8-10 games.

#3432 5 years ago

Anyone else noticed the naked girl in the window on the center plastic? Noted it today when i was toying with a mod placement.

#3433 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Anyone else noticed the naked girl in the window on the center plastic? Noted it today when i was toying with a mod placement.

No, but now Im going to look as soon as I get home.
Mods eyy, center plastic?
What do I get if I guess it?

#3434 5 years ago

Mod has nothing to do with the girl but after finding her I need a new place to put my mod lol. Oh those wacky AP guys.

#3435 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Yep. Cracked me up. Those AP jokers.

houdini-window1 (resized).jpghoudini-window1 (resized).jpg

#3436 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Well, hows it going? Been playing all day?

It's great! I haven't spent as much time on it as I would like but I ran into 1 small issue. The scoop was kicking an extra ball into play when a ball went into the magic shop hole. I called tech support this morning and Barry was great. Turns out one of the opto relay boards had a lose connector. They are daisy chained from one board to the next. There were a few connectors that were lose when I checked the full chain.

Otherwise it's perfect. The playfield is so smooth - it's like glass. I had to increase the pitch because the ball was getting stuck at the end of the subway.

Filipper coils at 22. They shipped at 21 but it was hard to complete the ramp. Catapult to the trunk works every time.

I haven't changed any settings yet other then free play.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3438 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

There is 1 more to find,not as easy as the first.

#3439 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Internally they're referred to as "Penthouse" and "Hustler". For obvious reasons "Hustler" had to be more...obscured.

#3440 5 years ago

Magic Glass is available.

https://store.american-pinball.com/collections/frontpage/products/magic-glass

MG_1024x1024@2x (resized).pngMG_1024x1024@2x (resized).png

#3441 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Whoever finds it please share, I won’t be able to see one in person for a few weeks

#3442 5 years ago

Hello Barry. Will AP be shipping the prepaid Magic Glass soon? Thanks.

#3443 5 years ago

I absolutely need Magic Glass, art blades and the shaker motor on my game when you build it !

It looks great guys!

#3444 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Whoever finds it please share, I won’t be able to see one in person for a few weeks

Berry

Quoted from BarryJ:

Does it have to do with a lock?

#3445 5 years ago

Pinballinreno,I also ordered mine with art blades,shaker,and Mglass! Hope it also has newer code!!I don't wanna fuss with any "fixes"!!!

#3446 5 years ago

Joining. The. Club. On Wednesday!!!

#3447 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Joining. The. Club. On Wednesday!!!

Bravo to you, finally moved up the list to the finish line. Congrats!!!

#3448 5 years ago

I am bringing magic glass to Allentown!!!

#3449 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Bravo to you, finally moved up the list to the finish line. Congrats!!!

Can't wait'n

#3450 5 years ago

I am now the proud owner of Houdini! Thanks to ZMeny from SDTM for letting me buy his baby to let our family enjoy it for a while.

I first played Houdini at Chicago Expo, but the lines were long and they had quite a few breakdowns, so I was left a bit frustrated and underwhelmed. I then got the chance to play it again at Louisville Arcade Expo and loved it! I originally went over to put time on JJPOTC, but found myself wanting to play more and more Houdini instead. In fairness to JJPOTC, the machine that was at LAX was having issues and not playing very well at all.

The shots are definitely tight and I shoot enough bricks on it to build a house, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the unique layout, fantastic rules, well integrated theme, and overall awesome game!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeley, CO
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mclean, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/69?hl=adamross and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.