20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 297.
#3251 6 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

That's how mine looks. .. any chance you could get me pics of boards on side of machine dip switches?

Done. Picture is strait forward as you look at left to right.

20180422_183605 (resized).jpg20180422_183605 (resized).jpg

#3252 6 years ago

Check the board to the right. Lower left connector. You just may have a loose wire here. Or that upper right connector. But you wouldnt have lights on coin door either.

1524447867030569821175 (resized).jpg1524447867030569821175 (resized).jpg

#3253 6 years ago

I never mentioned the amazing attention to detail under playfield. Beautifully crafted, wire harness, assemblies, and every coil has a socket molex connector, no soldering.
Just clean and nice in cabinet.

20180422_185553 (resized).jpg20180422_185553 (resized).jpg

#3254 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I never mentioned the amazing attention to detail under playfield. Beautifully crafted, wire harness, assemblies, and every coil has a socket molex connector, no soldering.
Just clean and nice in cabinet.

Each coil having a molex connector is FANTASTIC. EVERYONE needs to move to this model for coils.

The wiring harness, not so much. It's super clean, but not much thought was given to servicing the machine. If you have to change out the stage, for example, you have to cut out a metric ton of zipties and open up a major wire "artery" to get wires freed that go to a connector on the opposite side of the playfield. If those were a "sub bundle" in the main bundle that you can free with just a few zip tie cuts, it would be much friendlier for service. As it is now, it LOOKS great, but isn't that friendly if you need to replace something with lots of wires going to it (like the stage).

Powdercoating the service rails was also wasted money. It looks fantastic, but it's not durable, so it ends up looking much rattier than a regular steel set of service rails with chips and scratches in the coating pretty quickly. More heavy-duty service rails with no powder coating would have been better.

The last two are pretty nit-picky complaints, though. It's unbelievable that this is AP's first game and it was cranked out from scratch in a little more than a year. Lots of good things ahead if they keep up this pace.

#3255 6 years ago

Check the board to the right. Lower left connector. You just may have a loose wire here. Or that upper right connector. But you wouldnt have lights on coin door either.

Man you rock! That second picture see the fuse? Mine doesn't have one...put a quick jumper in and it lit up! Any chance you could see the fuse size?

#3256 6 years ago

Pulled my PF up and yanked the fuse out ... it says

T4AL 250V

Hope that helps

Edit - I forgot to measure the fuse for you so ... just be sure to measure the slot on your board as I think this fuse is the 20mm size (shorter than standard PB machine fuses). Reason to check is that I "think" they make the T4AL in 2 lengths 20MM and 30MM

#3257 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

T4AL 250V
Hope that helps
Edit - I forgot to measure the fuse for you so ... just be sure to measure the slot on your board as I think this fuse is the 20mm size (shorter than standard PB machine fuses). Reason to check is that I "think" they make the T4AL in 2 lengths 20MM and 30MM

Got it! Thanks so much my pinball peeps!! You rock

#3258 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

T4AL 250V

Confirmed, the shorter version.

Everyone else's second fuse holder empty?

#3259 6 years ago

Confirmed, the shorter version.
Everyone else's second fuse holder empty?

Yep second empty! And thx again for the great help!

#3260 6 years ago

Enjoying my new Houdini but random balls keep hopping up and getting stuck behind the Seance planchete on top of the plastic.
American Pinball? Got a fix or suggestion on this one?
I've probably getting a ball stuck there on every 2-3 games...

#3261 6 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Enjoying my new Houdini but random balls keep hopping up and getting stuck behind the Seance planchete on top of the plastic.
American Pinball? Got a fix or suggestion on this one?
I've probably getting a ball stuck there on every 2-3 games...

Turn your flipper coil power down to 20 or 21. That's plenty to play the game and eliminate most airballs.

And they're working on a diverter for that specific ball trap and have been testing for more than a month.

Ball Trap behind Planchette (resized).JPGBall Trap behind Planchette (resized).JPG

#3262 6 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

are they getting their bouncing off mini-standup targets or when coming out of the scoop? In either case, likely power set to high ether on the flipper or on the scoop eject.

Quoted from BladeFury:

Man you rock! That second picture see the fuse? Mine doesn't have one...put a quick jumper in and it lit up! Any chance you could see the fuse size?

wonder if it is sitting somewhere in the cabinet.

#3263 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

are they getting their bouncing off mini-standup targets or when coming out of the scoop? In either case, likely power set to high ether on the flipper or on the scoop eject.

Never lands there from a scoop eject. My scoop has been working very well with rarely no SDTM ejects.
Always a rebound off the mini standups or something in game.
Not sure I can turn down the left flipper power much more. Already set to barely enough to get up that steep right lamp lane ramp.

Was set to 22 on both flippers. I set to 21 and now have problems climbing the right lamp lane.
Also I notice a "squishy" effect on the flippers. A hard returned ball can push the flipper down as it catches it in up position. I've
noticed that before but with the flipper power down it becomes more obvious.

#3264 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

wonder if it is sitting somewhere in the cabinet.

Looked all over

#3265 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I know you got yours early I was talking to Rferullo

My game is supposed to ship today from CoinTaker. I'll buy the blades when the shaker is released and use the "wet" install method

#3266 6 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

My game is supposed to ship today from CoinTaker. I'll buy the blades when the shaker is released and use the "wet" install method

Awesome! Post a pic when you unbox or when it’s in the game room!

#3267 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Short answer: because I can. I wouldn't buy Houdini because it doesn't have a knocker. Won't buy a toy without essential equipment.

Knocker will be available shortly...

#3268 6 years ago

On it's way...

#3269 6 years ago

Any way to turn off the skill shot?

#3270 6 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

No

#3271 6 years ago

I'm curious. Why would you want to turn off the skillshot?

Quoted from Videogod:

#3272 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I'm curious. Why would you want to turn off the skillshot?

His name is NOT Pingod, note. Perhaps he's tired of being berated by the machine for having "no skill"?

Seems like a weird request on a pinball machine, I agree.

#3273 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Powdercoating the service rails was also wasted money. It looks fantastic, but it's not durable, so it ends up looking much rattier than a regular steel set of service rails with chips and scratches in the coating pretty quickly. More heavy-duty service rails with no powder coating would have been better.

Haven't had time to comment on this one.
Day one, unboxing several pinheads from my area were over for the big day. Service rails came right up on topic in first 15 min game was plugged in while we were under hood checking things out. Why would they do this (AP)? Immediately an operator here in so cal for many, many years commented how smart that was...SAFETY YELLOW. Now he commentented how many times he's bumped his head on these rails for years.
Never had a second thought about them and think it was a smart thing to do.
They were powder coated for safety. Durability I don't think is an issue, there service rails, i actually think they are pretty durable and I have no flaking paint or scratches on mine.

#3274 6 years ago

Durability I don't think is an issue, there service rails, i actually think they are pretty durable and I have no flaking paint or scratches on mine.

If they were made out of solid 18K gold someone would complain....

#3275 6 years ago

Haven't had time to comment on this one.
Day one, unboxing several pinheads from my area were over for the big day. Service rails came right up on topic in first 15 min game was plugged in while we were under hood checking things out. Why would they do this (AP)? Immediately an operator here in so cal for many, many years commented how smart that was...SAFETY YELLOW. Now he commentented how many times he's bumped his head on these rails for years.
They were powder coated for safety. Durability I don't think is an issue, there service rails, i actually think they are pretty durable and I have no flaking paint or scratches on mine.

I've had the playfield up and down more than most due to some issues requiring replacements of parts in the first month, so maybe I'm just seeing Houdini service rails future in an accelerated fashion, but trust me, that coating is not durable...at all. It's just not a great fit for something that rests on somewhat sharp edges and can slide. For a location pin? I would rather have had more sturdy steel rails for the same price. It is pretty, though.

#3276 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

If they were 18k gold, I would have to make a cost/benefit graph. Definitely.

#3278 6 years ago

Sooooo close! After 10 months of waiting I Believe this is the week I Finally get my Houdini's!! Urika! I have a chalk outline on the floor waiting for his arrival and the Escelara is all charged up for the decent. Just waiting on the green light from Joe at PinballStar!

#3279 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sooooo close! After 10 months of waiting I Believe this is the week I Finally get my Houdini's!! Urika! I have a chalk outline on the floor waiting for his arrival and the Escelara is all charged up for the decent. Just waiting on the green light from Joe at PinballStar!

Let's all text Joe at 3am and get this game to you now. Worth the wait Modfather.

#3280 6 years ago

Let's all text Joe at 3am and get this game to you now. Worth the wait Modfather.

First off Love that idea and intend to text him just for fun all evening with Every game played. Second, while honored the ModFather is the Man and in a league of his own. Not me. Love his stuff very much!!

#3281 6 years ago

First thing I thought of. For safety. In home or on location.

LTG : )

#3282 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I think there are also some people that if it gets a scratch on them they wouldnt be able to sleep at night knowing there is a scratch on there.

#3283 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

First off Love that idea and intend to text him just for fun all evening with Every game played. Second, while honored the ModFather is the Man and in a league of his own. Not me. Love his stuff very much!!

Oops, my apologies!
Just reading fast, Freudian slip.
Your both great Mod couple too!

#3284 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

First thing I thought of. For safety. In home or on location.
LTG : )

I've had way to many pinball injuries to count.
I appreciate the safety yellow service rails.

#3285 6 years ago

Immediately an operator here in so cal for many, many years commented how smart that was...SAFETY YELLOW.

Yellow was certainly chosen for the safety reason.

Part of the coating was to give it a smoother feel on hour hands, some rails can be have sharp edges. I'm sure over time as the get dragged some of the coating will get scraped off, but in most cases you hopefully won't be opening the machine often. I believe the cost for coating these was quite low or it would not have made the cut.

Quoted from spfxted:

No doubt, especially if originally they were only going to be sterling silver.

#3286 6 years ago

Ive been overruled...someone wanted to play the first game

20180423_193507 (resized).jpg20180423_193507 (resized).jpg

#3287 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Ive been overruled...someone wanted to play the first game

Good Dad, that's awesome and how could you say no !

#3288 6 years ago

Down boy ! : ) You guys are pissers ! lol

#3289 6 years ago

Sorry if this has already been reported. Ball went out right outlane with “escape death” on. Ball saved. I plunged ball. It said “spell escape to avoid death.” While trying to hit the letters, I opened the stage. The ball went into the stage while counting down and just sat there. After the count down, the ball stayed there until ball search and was released. Flippers did not work so ball ended and game over. I am using the latest code.

7D19CB4E-70E9-4B5B-9281-C4EF5479EFD0 (resized).jpeg7D19CB4E-70E9-4B5B-9281-C4EF5479EFD0 (resized).jpeg

#3290 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

His name is NOT Pingod, note. Perhaps he's tired of being berated by the machine for having "no skill"?
Seems like a weird request on a pinball machine, I agree.

Love the machine, hate that callout. Frequent and not clever or humorous.

#3291 6 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Sorry if this has already been reported. Ball went out right outlane with “escape death” on. Ball saved. I plunged ball. It said “spell escape to avoid death.” While trying to hit the letters, I opened the stage. The ball went into the stage while counting down and just sat there. After the count down, the ball stayed there until ball search and was released. Flippers did not work so ball ended and game over. I am using the latest code.

Pretty sure I reported this bug or one very much like it. The stage optos aren't being checked enough when it's not expecting a ball to be in there. They need to be polled a LOT more for this case, and also when the stage is broken and the curtain won't close.

#3292 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

On it's way...

As an additional purchase or included in the machine? Are they being sent to those who already have machines?

#3293 6 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

I think they're recording more callouts to switch it up. But even if they aren't, I'd be fine with only calling something bitchy out occasionally and leaving some misses silent. I also made the suggestion to put in some encouraging callouts when you make the shot. There's nothing now. Even Satan will congratulate you when you make a skill shot or a sweep the targets in Iron Maiden. If he can do it, anyone can.

#3294 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think they're recording more callouts to switch it up. But even if they aren't, I'd be fine with only calling something bitchy out occasionally and leaving some misses silent. I also made the suggestion to put in some encouraging callouts when you make the shot. There's nothing now. Even Satan will congratulate you when you make a skill shot or a sweep the targets in Iron Maiden. If he can do it, anyone can.

Totally agree that hitting the shot should have a callout or something more noticeable on the playfield.

#3295 6 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Minor compliant but yes it is getting old quickly. I think it doesn’t need to play each time you miss. Or more variety where every comment was not a jab.

#3296 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Minor compliant but yes it is getting old quickly. I think it doesn’t need to play each time you miss. Or more variety where every comment was not a jab.

Sure, that can work, too. A "practice makes perfect", "you'll get it next time", or "if you think that's hard, you should try illusions." occasionally when you miss would be welcome.

#3297 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

+1. I hate starting my game a majority of the time with an insult, sometimes 2 in a row.

#3298 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

+1. I hate starting my game a majority of the time with an insult, sometimes 2 in a row.

My wife never plays , yet she's commented on my skills because of the callouts... Too funny!

#3299 6 years ago

Sorry, folks. Didn't mean to cause controversy. I had guests over to play, and they were becoming annoyed after about the 20th insult, and there was no way they were hitting that skill shot! Just wondered if it were possible to temporarily disable it. By the way, I was able to get the Magic Glass, and it is really incredible.

#3300 6 years ago

I've never seen so many people so thin-skinned over a pinball machine insulting your missed shots, lol. I think the insults are all pretty fun and well done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.