Topic Stats

• 8,899 posts
  • 534 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by HOOKED
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,218 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20181006_172954 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190423_195756 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190423_195745 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190423_171447 (resized).jpg
20190419_134025 (resized).jpg
20190419_132939 (resized).jpg
20190419_135208 (resized).jpg
20190419_132855 (resized).jpg
20190419_133359 (resized).jpg
20190419_132925 (resized).jpg
20190419_133054 (resized).jpg
20190419_133117 (resized).jpg
20190419_135240(0) (resized).jpg
20190417_204330 (resized).jpg
20190415_210345 (resized).jpg
20190414_123824 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 8899 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 178.
#3051 1 year ago

Hi does anyone what shipping timeframe is? I have not payed or reserved it yet?
Thx

#3052 1 year ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Thx

There's quite a line ahead of you. Probably Late Summer or early Fall 2018 if you put a deposit in now. However, a few have popped up in the marketplace from people who wanted out what they had into it, so you could buy your way to the front if you pay full list and/or a little more.

#3053 1 year ago

Thx

It’s more and more looking like a total crapshoot. I’ve had money down for 7 months and there are a lot of buyers who bought THIS year and have already received their games. Very VERY frustrating. I’m sticking with my distributor as it’s not their fault but ... really sucks. I am thinking about switching over and getting Alice Cooper.

So yeah, no idea

#3054 1 year ago

Just back from MGC, pretty tired, long show, a lot of standing on the hard floor and late hours. Really enjoyed talking with many of you were at the show. I'm sure I have missed some questions and stuff, so anything that has not been answer by others, please re-post. I did see these recent ones and I'll post some audits shortly

Quoted from vireland:

Probably Late Summer or early Fall 2018

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s more and more looking like a total crapshoot. I’ve had money down for 7 months and there are a lot of buyers who bought THIS year and have already received their games. Very VERY frustrating.

Production continues to pick up and while I am not totally up on current orders, I suspect if you order now, you are more likely looking at summer vs Fall.

I can understand the frustration, in some cases you had distributors ordering more than they needed so they have had unallocated games that they have now sold, but we are now trying to to our best to be sure that those who ordered a while back are getting their games before new buyers or inventory for distributors. The exception to that can be show games.

#3055 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Just back from MGC, pretty tired, long show, a lot of standing on the hard floor and late hours. Really enjoyed talking with many of you were at the show. I'm sure I have missed some questions and stuff, so anything that has not been answer by others, please re-post. I did see these recent ones and I'll post some audits shortly

Production continues to pick up and while I am not totally up on current orders, I suspect if you order now, you are more likely looking at summer vs Fall.
I can understand the frustration, in some cases you had distributors ordering more than they needed so they have had unallocated games that they have now sold, but we are now trying to to our best to be sure that those who ordered a while back are getting their games before new buyers or inventory for distributors. The exception to that can be show games.

Thanks Rosh. THIS is the game I want, it's only a matter of time. Hope MGC was worthwhile! You guys are still knocking it out of the park

#3056 1 year ago

MGC update . . .

Games were played not stop from open until close, (when I left the after party at 2AM, the games were all still being played). We never took the glass off (which was nice, since it was magic glass and you need to obviously be extra careful with those), other than when we got there to set the coil strength and each morning to give the playfield a wipe down.

Speaking of magic glass (and the shaker), I got positive feedback on both, but if anyone here was there and would care to comment, please do.

Games were running the test release of the new code. Only a couple of things popped up so I expect to release that code once those items are addressed.

Some key stats, this was as of 2PM yesterday. We had a few cases of someone starting a four player game and walking away, so that obviously pulls the numbers down in length of game and scoring.

Games played 1389
Avg Score: 104,280
Avg Game time: 3:11
Lower Catapult Accuracy 91% (ranged rom 88% to 97% across the four machines)
There were 18 scores over 500K and 3 over 1,000,000 (I know one guy completed all 5 jail escapes, but did not get a chance to start the mini-wizard mode from it).
six games were over 15 minutes (I know was just over 30)
48 games were under 1 minute, but a chunk of those were players tarting games and walking away.

#3057 1 year ago

The API team, booth, and games were Spot on perfection at MGC. While a newer company they Clearly know how to do things right! Hats off to Josh for his time and continued excitement to share the amazing world of Houdini to my wife and I. There is no doubt they are proud of what they created and accomplished as they Should! We are both excited even with the incredibly long wait to Finaly be getting this home! Thank you Josh and the Entire API team for this beautiful and fun work of magical art. And thanks for not Removing primary features prior to Shipping it! Lol

#3058 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

MGC update . . .
Games were played not stop from open until close, (when I left the after party at 2AM, the games were all still being played). We never took the glass off (which was nice, since it was magic glass and you need to obviously be extra careful with those), other than when we got there to set the coil strength and each morning to give the playfield a wipe down.
Speaking of magic glass (and the shaker), I got positive feedback on both, but if anyone here was there and would care to comment, please do.
Games were running the test release of the new code. Only a couple of things popped up so I expect to release that code once those items are addressed.
Some key stats, this was as of 2PM yesterday. We had a few cases of someone starting a four player game and walking away, so that obviously pulls the numbers down in length of game and scoring.
Games played 1389
Avg Score: 104,280
Avg Game time: 3:11
Lower Catapult Accuracy 91% (ranged rom 88% to 97% across the four machines)
There were 18 scores over 500K and 3 over 1,000,000 (I know one guy completed all 5 jail escapes, but did not get a chance to start the mini-wizard mode from it).
six games were over 15 minutes (I know was just over 30)
48 games were under 1 minute, but a chunk of those were players tarting games and walking away.

I am totally happy to wait until a couple more code updates occur and a few more hardware tweaks possibly.
So late fall is perfect for me.

#3059 1 year ago

Any timeline for the shaker motor to hit the store?

#3060 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Any timeline for the shaker motor to hit the store?

I think they are waiting on the wiring harnesses, the ones we used for the show games were hand made (not that there is much too them), also not sure if they the main shipment has come in yet, but I'll check on it and report back.

Edit: was just told distributors will be getting details later this week and we should have it in the store in 2 weeks.

#3061 1 year ago

My Houdini arrived. Opened box in front of driver. Looks good. About to bring downstairs. Mine was assembled April 2018 so assume just a few days ago and number 1171.

If you are in the areas (Purcellville) you are welcome to come by. Tell me first to ensure I’m home. May be at home some of Saturday if there is a local interest to come and play the game. Does anyone local need a pallet?

F3B77297-D78D-40FE-AB48-A5F3ADE55BCD (resized).jpeg

D2058620-DA59-4578-AA31-4060C568E533 (resized).jpeg

#3062 1 year ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

My Houdini arrived. Opened box in front of driver. Looks good. About to bring downstairs. Mine was assembled April 2018 so assume just a few days ago and number 1171.
If you are in the areas (Purcellville) you are welcome to come by. Tell me first to ensure I’m home. May be at home some of Saturday if there is a local interest to come and play the game. Does anyone local need a pallet?

Congrats Mike!!

#3063 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

we should have it in the store in 2 weeks.

That long? Lol ... Thanks for the quick reply , will check in a couple of weeks ...

#3064 1 year ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Congrats! Welcome to the club. I got mine March 14th, #90. So 80 games in 4 weeks. Like ive said before, 20-25 games made a week and production continues to accelerate!
Officially, more Houdini's made than TNA i believe and they've had twice as long.
So kudos to American pinball.

#3065 1 year ago

Jan 9,2018 #39
They are picking up speed!

#3066 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Jan 9,2018 #39
They are picking up speed!

How does the numbering work? from #39 and #90 to 1171? What am I missing here

EDIT: got it, there's a leading 1.

#3067 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

EDIT: got it, there's a leading 1.

Correct 1139

#3068 1 year ago

Magic glass is now shipping on orders starting today. I just got it installed on a customers game that is shipping out tomorrow. Shakers coming soon I'm told.

Need a Houdini let us know.

Larry@flipnoutpinball.com

#3069 1 year ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Magic glass is now shipping on orders starting today. I just got it installed on a customers game that is shipping out tomorrow. Shakers coming soon I'm told.

Can't wait to hear how it looks!

#3070 1 year ago

Another Houdini on location in Denver (65 Broadway)

PBS (resized).jpg

#3071 1 year ago

Houdini set up next to my Theatre of Magic. I needed to set the lower catapult from 27 to 24. But all other settings were good. I added the target decals but did not do anything else. I did have factory add blades. Will probably add the shaker motor.

555FBE71-B39C-4BD6-AA49-01E0522D5D2E (resized).jpeg

4A7C0CF4-40DB-4649-8CB4-2725013759E5 (resized).jpeg

#3072 1 year ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Houdini set up next to my Theatre of Magic. I needed to set the lower catapult from 27 to 24. But all other settings were good. I added the target decals but did not do anything else. I did have factory add blades. Will probably add the shaker motor.

Wow impressive lineup and collection. Congrats

#3073 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'm sure I have missed some questions and stuff, so anything that has not been answer by others, please re-post.

Hey Josh, any thought on adding the ability to save / restore scores and settings as well as set the default high scores to custom levels?

#3074 1 year ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Larry is a great guy, if you are looking for a Houdini I would highly recommend him.

#3075 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Larry is a great guy, if you are looking for a Houdini I would highly recommend him.

I second That! My Escalera is arriving Tomorrow!! Couldn't have been a smoother transaction.

#3076 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I second That! My Escalera is arriving Tomorrow!! Couldn't have been a smoother transaction.

Ditto! My DILE from him arrived with some broken cosmetic parts (not his fault). He took care of all the issues on my behalf with Jersey Jack. Almost anyone can order machines for us, it is more about the service after the sale. Larry shines in that area.

#3077 1 year ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Larry shines in that area.

Are you referring to the MoonShine he uses to get the sale? lol playing. I have several machines on order with him and can't thank he and his amazing wife enough for how wonderful they make handing over $$$$$ so painless.

#3078 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I definitely need some of those Houdini posters for my game room!

Keep an eye on Ebay for Circus Posters. Not originals.

LTG : )

#3079 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Keep an eye on Ebay for Circus Posters. Not originals.

Good Idea. That fits my wallet a lot better too

#3080 1 year ago
Quoted from pinden007:

There were a lot of times tonight where the ball bumps into the bumper put no action.

When you adjust a leaf blade switch for the pop bumper. Power off. Look at it below the playfield. A plastic rod sticks down from the pop bumper skirt and pushes a plastic spoon fixed to a lead blade. Be sure the rod is centered on the spoon. ( on an older game be sure the rod isn't worn or spoon is dirty where the rod rides ) Then the spoon blade should just be resting on the rod, not pushing it. The shorter bottom one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, but vibration doesn't.

A little tweaking and you'll have it working great.

#3081 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

When you adjust a leaf blade switch for the pop bumper. Power off. Look at it below the playfield. A plastic rod sticks down from the pop bumper skirt and pushes a plastic spoon fixed to a lead blade. Be sure the rod is centered on the spoon. ( on an older game be sure the rod isn't worn or spoon is dirty where the rod rides ) Then the spoon blade should just be resting on the rod, not pushing it. The shorter bottom one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, but vibration doesn't.
A little tweaking and you'll have it working great.

That is a perfect description of what you need to do - but man is it hard to get that perfect setup. The lead adjuster tool is a must-have!!

#3082 1 year ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Credit where credit is due, you did a great job of organizing your machines. I love the Star Trek next to Star Trek TNG and Starwars, Hobbit next to Lord of the rings and Houdini next to Theater of Magic. You win sir!

#3083 1 year ago

Rip Harry Anderson. Great magician and teacher of magic. Kind soul. Playing Houdini for you tonight.

#3084 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’ve only played it on location and can hit it pretty regularly - maybe there’s some variation in the games(?)

That's what I was thinking too, but that would seem pretty strange...I'll keep working at it...thanks.

#3085 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Rip Harry Anderson. Great magician and teacher of magic. Kind soul. Playing Houdini for you tonight.

One of my favorite comedic magicians, his first appearance on SNL is so funny it still makes me laugh

#3086 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Credit where credit is due, you did a great job of organizing your machines. I love the Star Trek next to Star Trek TNG and Starwars, Hobbit next to Lord of the rings and Houdini next to Theater of Magic. You win sir!

Thanks! Did you notice my Steve Ritchie "flow" section at the right?

Although not true of all my games, I realize I like flow and subways. I need a way to organize my games with subways as well....

I need to get some Pat Lawlor games back into my collection. Although I thought I saw him credited in the STTNG credits.

#3087 1 year ago

Heard that Abelelectronics just got a decent size order of Houdini pins in recently....anyone looking for one might want to reach out to Gary over there.

#3088 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Check your subway opto assembly (the one that has 3 senders and receivers on each side of the trough leading up to the scoop VUK under the PF) and make sure the screws for it haven't come loose from the PF (from vibration or whatever) letting it hang a little too low.

OK. The one opto had come out before from lifting the playfield. I will check that! Thanks.

#3089 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Hey Josh, any thought on adding the ability to save / restore scores and settings as well as set the default high scores to custom levels?

When you insert a USB stick into the USB extension cable, the machine does copy off the current settings and audits to it. It has been on the radar that if we ever run into a situation where we need to install a new version of the OS, that importing back in the settings and audits would be needed. I do anticipate at some point we will add this import support. and there are some things in progress, that will provide some of the foundation for doing this.

As far as custom high scores, no one had really brought that up until sometime in the last week or so and not something I had really given much though to, so I'll need to take a look and assess what is involved.

Related to settings, under the hood of this next release is support for more control over processing of settings. The first use of this is that when you revert to default settings it will no longer revert coil strength, pricing or stage calibration. This lays the foundation for pre-configured installs e.g. home easy, home normal, home hard, location easy, etc, or things of that nature, so that capability will likely show up in the release after this. Of course after using a pre-defined set for some event/reason, it would be nice to import back in the original settings.

#3090 1 year ago

Was over in NYC last weekend and got chance to play the Houdini located at the Sunshine Laundromat. I was so stoked for this game, it looked as good as I expected it to, but when I started to play it things changed... I'd read the shots were hard and challenging, but something felt off. The orbits were fluid and easy to make, but that was about it as everything else felt really hard. The flippers felt on the weak side so maybe this was something to do with it? After a good few dollars worth of games I walked away to play the other machines.

This game was on my want list but my first experience was not a great one. Are all of these machines playing the same way? Could setup have something to do with it?

#3091 1 year ago

This is the dilemma playing this or any other operator machine besides HUO. You are at the mercy of the settings of the Operator along with other factors such as floor being leveled for example. For the flipper strength, this can be modified using the settings. The good news, you felt the shots were fluid and easy.

I would recommend playing the game at another location or HUO.

Tim

#3092 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

This game was on my want list but my first experience was not a great one. Are all of these machines playing the same way? Could setup have something to do with it?

Set up has a lot to do with it. Every coil including flippers you can control strength with in settings. Mine is playing great. I have played another that hadn't had a lot of attention to settings and several aspects of it needed tweaking. Some operators are more dedicated than others.
I wouldnt let one on route set your opinion on game. In time you'll have a chance at another, id wait for a final opinion.
In the mean time, place a deposit with your local distributor, when you get home set it up to your liking.

#3093 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

Houdini located at the Sunshine Laundromat

Others have reported that the game there is set up extra brutal. I have heard the coil settings are too weak, ball save turned off, etc.

#3094 1 year ago

One thing about pinball that comes up is about playability.

Is it easy enough for beginner players and does it captivate them enough play it again?

Is it challenging enough for moderate to advanced players and does it have a deep enough ruleset to challenge them?

I read a lot about Houdini having difficult shots that should be easy like the lock loop. I also see that the milkcan shot is difficult to impossible without mastering a rolling backhand shot.

I played I a lot at TPF 2018.
I did not feel that the game was overly difficult but it was very challenging to start a multiball.
Which of itself is not necessarily a bad thing. Non-stop multiballs like in the hobbit are tedious and boring.

I put up a score of 500k without a lot of practice.

I am really looking forward to getting my game. I hope code refinements make the game fun for everyone.

It sounds like its going in the right direction.

#3095 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

It sounds like is going in the right direction.

It sure is. I think it's going to be one of the great games for collectors and players on location. Never get tired of it. And occasionally kick you in the nuts like TZ can.

#3096 1 year ago

I was so excited to start playing that I don’t think I have the latest code (I think it was 4018.2.27) so I will install the latest tonight.

I played about 10 games last night on my new Houdini. 5 ball play. Early average time was 7 minutes. It was over 9 minutes on my last few games.

I did not have any problem hitting all shots. Not consistently but they are all doable.

The ball bounces out of the stage more than it goes in. The ball goes half way into milkcan loop and bounces back out. Is this normal?

I got the same combo every game so I assume these are sequential.

I think at the same time I got the combo, I got Seance multi ball so although I can hit all six targets playing one ball, I was not able to yet complete all letters nor do the combo.

It was nice to see the swallow the needles mode video complete since I think that was the only one done when at the Allentown show last year.

The stage shot to left of key shot only went to the stage once. But that could be me not hitting it hard enough or straight enough.

I mentioned yesterday I adjusted lower catapult from 27 to 24 and made no other adjustments. I think I’ll work a bit on the right scoop this evening.

Other than that, the game is enjoyable and engaging. I kept coming back for more and was able to open a few more modes.

I’ll continue playing and enjoying the game.

Thanks

Michael

#3097 1 year ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I don’t think I have the latest code (I think it was 4018.2.27) so I will install the latest tonight.

That is the latest available code, well, for another day or two. The new code was heavily tested at MGC and did quite well. I'm doing some fixes on a few things I observed as well as feedback from beta testers. I expect to be available in the next couple of days.

Quoted from mbelofsky:

I got the same combo every game so I assume these are sequential.

Yes, they go from easy to hard, but possible I'll add a random option like Jail Escapes have (which can be easy to hard or random and I think defaults to random, since the difficulty between some of them is not the different, but on secret missions there is). Jail Escapes also have an 'easy' setting, that lets you get credit for a 'partial' shot which in some cases is quite helpful -- most notably the milkcan shot, where hitting the stand-up next to it will give you credit for the escape.

spelling seance not hard during seance mulitball -- spelling it in order, very, very hard, I've done it, but only after scoring one jackpot, losing one ball and cradling a ball. Probably impossible to do it on the first jackpot, since the action of the balls being put into pay will often hit a target or two.

Quoted from mbelofsky:

The ball bounces out of the stage more than it goes in. The ball goes half way into milkcan loop and bounces back out. Is this normal?

Shooting this stage too hard, if flippers are too strong, does it make it harder, also needs to be a straight otherwise it will loop around inside and come out. If it continues to be a challenge, send me a photo of the stage with the curtain open and I'll look to see if anything looks off.

The Stage Alley shot requires a certain amount of speed (otherwise it can end up in the magic shop -- not a bad thing)., but depending on where it is flowing to, might mean the flat rail needs to be adjusted. After you get some more play and still finding that we can get Barry to talk you through adjusting the exit.

#3098 1 year ago

For those playing Houdini in arcade locations are really not getting the full experience! In a home environment you can fine tune this game to perfection!
Many issues in the previous posts do not exist on mine.
Don't base your decision to buy this superb game based on the arcade experience.
This game is a lot of fun, when set up correctly!
Never gets old!

#3099 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

For those playing Houdini in arcade locations are really not getting the full experience! In a home environment you can fine tune this game to perfection!
Many issues in the previous posts do not exist on mine.
Don't base your decision to buy this superb game based on the arcade experience.
This game is a lot of fun, when set up correctly!
Never gets old!

This is true. The first time I played it on location it was enjoyable. The second time not so much and I quit playing it. If that was my first or only impression I would have moved on.

Looking forward to trying the setups at Pinfest.

#3100 1 year ago

If anyone has a interest for a NIB Houdini PM me for availability. We will have one setup at the Kalamazoo show this weekend. Stop in if your in the neighborhood. We are a American Pinball distributor and Jersey Jack distributor based out of St. Clair Shores Michigan.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8899 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 178.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside