20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 297.
#2951 6 years ago
Quoted from tmntrule999:

Went to an arcade last weekend and Houdini was the one pinball machine out of order. I was so excited to play it. Planning on going again soon though and hopefully they have it ready to go.

What location was this at?

#2952 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don’t think the pop broke, it looks like it was removed. Lyman’s is staffed by people who KNOW what they are doing, so I assume they have already reached out. The bartender who is apparently not involved in fixing the games told me “something broke on The Board.” Silly me, I assume he means there was a burnout in the backbox! Then I saw the removed pop.. LOL

The ring on the pop is gone.. Most likely has been removed. I haven't been notified, so I think it's an in house repair.

#2953 6 years ago

@Rosh: did you have any news for us (European customers) when shipping is planned ? ... Hope is before Q4

Ps: thank you for your great support and the communication to all pinheads

#2954 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Went to my favorite downtown Pinball location (Lyman’s Tavern in DC) and Houdini is down... looks like a problem with the pop bumper. I has a sad...

Doing its best Phantom of the Opera opening impression.

#2955 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Anyone else experiencing random Multiballs when there shouldn't be one? It's happened to me twice so far and then the game seems to kinda lose track of where balls are for a while. I'm also experiencing randomly weak flippers, usually the right one but sometimes the left as well. It usually only happens for a single flip but I had a really good Trunk MB going in the Elephant mode and the right flipper got REALLY weak for about 10 seconds then snapped back to life. It would be a really good way of messing with you even further if this was intended behavior at times but I don't think it is.

Yes. Ball management is currently "magical" and I'd say the game can add (and subtract) balls at any time, for any reason, based on my play. It's not super-frequent, but it does lose track of balls.

I think Josh said the weak coil thing was related to the P3ROC and they're working on addressing it. I've noticed it a smidge, but it's pretty minor for us.

#2956 6 years ago

Hi all

I would love to see Lloyd Olsen doing tech support for this company.

He is always there to help 7 days a week.

He is a legend in this business and he would be a great asset for American pinball tech support

So let’s all try and get Lloyd to do tech support for American pinball.

What do you say!!!!!!1

#2957 6 years ago
Quoted from Mayboyz:

Hi all
I would love to see Lloyd Olsen doing tech support for this company.
He is always there to help 7 days a week.
He is a legend in this business and he would be a great asset for American pinball tech support
So let’s all try and get Lloyd to do tech support for American pinball.
What do you say!!!!!!1

That would be great, but pretty sure the AP guys are undead. They answer tech support stuff at all hours and even on the Lord's Day.

#2958 6 years ago

Just installed the external Polk sub and I cannot stress how much of a difference it makes. Thanks to all for the installation tips, super straight forward.

#2959 6 years ago
Quoted from Mayboyz:

What do you say!!!!!!1

If you mean me ? I believe American Pinball already has Josh and Jeff, both are active here.

LTG : )

#2960 6 years ago
Quoted from Mayboyz:

What do you say!!!!!!1

My gosh. You bought a Houdini.

Don't worry, I'll help if I can.

#2962 6 years ago

My apologies if this has already been mentioned but one thing I would love to see added to software is a visual cue when the scoop is getting ready to eject the ball. This is pretty common on some other games and with the proximity to the flippers, the very real chance it's headed toward the middle and not one of the flippers and the fact the ball can come from one of three places (scoop, loop lock or shooter lane) really makes it difficult to handle scoop ejects during MB. Flashing the arrow insert rapidly right before it ejects would be a welcome aid.

#2963 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

My apologies if this has already been mentioned but one thing I would love to see added to software is a visual cue when the scoop is getting ready to eject the ball. This is pretty common on some other games and with the proximity to the flippers, the very real chance it's headed toward the middle and not one of the flippers and the fact the ball can come from one of three places (scoop, loop lock or shooter lane) really makes it difficult to handle scoop ejects during MB. Flashing the arrow insert rapidly right before it ejects would be a welcome aid.

Good idea. Over a couple hundred games now and Ive just taught myself to listen foe scoop. But an added visual would help.
Also important to point out that code is roughly at 90%. Josh is working on it all day, everyday, even weekends if i add it up correctly. Many great things are still coming.

#2964 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I have mixed feelings on this. Part of having the ball come from three or four different places is part of the misdirection that is such a huge part of magic, keeping the audience guessing and on their toes, so to me it is part of the theme integration of surprising the player and keeping them on their toes. As you play the game you start to realize that more often then not it is going to come from the scoop or the shooter lane, since there is a greater likelihood of balls being available there vs the left lock.

I'll continue to give it some thought, but right now it is by intent to not warn you.

#2965 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I have mixed feelings on this. Part of having the ball come from three or four different places is part of the misdirection that is such a huge part of magic, keeping the audience guessing and on their toes, so to me it is part of the theme integration of surprising the player and keeping them on their toes. As you play the game you start to realize that more often then not it is going to come from the scoop or the shooter lane, since there is a greater likelihood of balls being available there vs the left lock.
I'll continue to give it some thought, but right now it is by intent to not warn you.

I think that's fair enough if we can get the scoop eject to be more consistent, as it is though that's kinda harsh. I guess it's better than purposely re-directing your attention which much of "magic" really is, lol. Having Seance going with other modes is like trying to juggle water sometimes, but in a good way.

#2966 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think that's fair enough if we can get the scoop eject to be more consistent, as it is though that's kinda harsh. I guess it's better than purposely re-directing your attention which much of "magic" really is, lol. Having Seance going with other modes is like trying to juggle water sometimes, but in a good way.

I must be missing someting regarding the scoop eject.

Mine has never shot SDTM from the scoop. Ok, in 170 3 ball games, maybe twice.
It'll trickle out and gently bump off the right slingshot to the left where I can gather it up with the flipper.

Occasionally it'll take two tries to eject a scoop ball.
I'll see it popping it's ball head out like a Whack-A-Mole game before the second eject is successful but never get it SDTM... Weird how so many have this issue.
I agree with ROSH..You always have time to react, no mater where the ball is coming from. No need to tell the player it's gonna be coming from the scoop. Seems almost silly to do that.

#2967 6 years ago

I've played two different games on location and both of them shot SDTM from the scoop at least 50% of the time if not more. Hopefully they'll be fixed soon as I enjoyed the game but that made me cautious of putting more money in, and completely turned off a friend of mine from wanting to play the game again.

#2968 6 years ago

Perhaps people are just used to other games that warn you of a scoop eject with a light and sound going off.
If Josh's intent is to surprise you, it make sense to have a sleuth mode. Always trust the programmer unless you can convince him otherwise.

Quoted from CUJO:

I must be missing someting regarding the scoop eject.
Mine has never shot SDTM from the scoop. Ok, in 170 3 ball games, maybe twice.
It'll trickle out and gently bump off the right slingshot to the left where I can gather it up with the flipper.
Occasionally it'll take two tries to eject a scoop ball.
I'll see it popping it's ball head out like a Whack-A-Mole game before the second eject is successful but never get it SDTM... Weird how so many have this issue.
I agree with ROSH..You always have time to react, no mater where the ball is coming from. No need to tell the player it's gonna be coming from the scoop. Seems almost silly to do that.

#2969 6 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

No need to tell the player it's gonna be coming from the scoop. Seems almost silly to do that.

I don't think it's silly at all, in fact it's pretty common in games to give that visual (often with a flasher) and sometimes an audio cue as well. TAF, CV, Spider-man, TZ, AFM, GOTG, JP are all games that do this just off the top of my head and I'm sure there are a lot more I can't think of right now. If they choose to not do so to go along with the magic theme that's cool but I think it's more of the norm to do it.

#2970 6 years ago

Not telling you where the ball is coming from adds to the fun, challenge and theme of the game. Maybe that is a proposal for a feature setting. I wouldn’t want it set on though.

#2971 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I've played two different games on location and both of them shot SDTM from the scoop at least 50% of the time if not more. Hopefully they'll be fixed soon as I enjoyed the game but that made me cautious of putting more money in, and completely turned off a friend of mine from wanting to play the game again.

Oh I believe you...
My biggest game issue is bricking the shot somewhere around the KEYLANE entry standups that coming back SDTM before I can blink,
even with the post between the flippers. Wow, would that be frustrating if the post was not there! It saves quite a few of those drains.

#2972 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Not telling you where the ball is coming from adds to the fun, challenge and theme of the game. Maybe that is a proposal for a feature setting. I wouldn’t want it set on though.

If the ball management were consistent (not losing or adding balls at times), the magic ball misdirection might be fun, but as it is, it's irritating. I think it will get there, but it's not fully baked yet.

#2973 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Just installed the external Polk sub and I cannot stress how much of a difference it makes. Thanks to all for the installation tips, super straight forward.

Can you please snap a photo of where you put it in the amp, the type of cord you used and where you put it in the sub? I am more of a visual learner. The explanations haven't really helped me.

#2974 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Can you please snap a photo of where you put it in the amp, the type of cord you used and where you put it in the sub? I am more of a visual learner. The explanations haven't really helped me.

What he said, but only if you have time.

#2975 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Happy to share. Worth noting I PM'd Barry directly who advised me on the correct install.

What you'll need: A powered sub (such as the one below which someone earlier in this thread linked to) and speaker wires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KVQBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

With power off, remove the back box. Then remove the 4 screws attached the monitor, disconnect the HDMI and Power to the monitor and place it aside.

Under the amp inside the back box you'll see where you'll need to connect the speaker wires (L+R)

Attach speaker wires, then thread them through the bottom, out one of the grills (see photo).

Plug wires into sub, plug it in and let 'er rumble.

You'll have to adjust sub settings by using the knobs on top of the amp. Problem is, you won't be able to read what they say unless you remove the amp... I'm lazy so I just adjusted on-the-fly while the music was playing to dial it in.

IMG_5113 (resized).jpgIMG_5113 (resized).jpg

IMG_5114 (resized).jpgIMG_5114 (resized).jpg

#2976 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Happy to share. Worth noting I PM'd Barry directly who advised me on the correct install.
What you'll need: A powered sub (such as the one below which someone earlier in this thread linked to) and speaker wires.
amazon.com link »
With power off, remove the back box. Then remove the 4 screws attached the monitor, disconnect the HDMI and Power to the monitor and place it aside.
Under the amp inside the back box you'll see where you'll need to connect the speaker wires (L+R)
Attach speaker wires, then thread them through the bottom, out one of the grills (see photo).
Plug wires into sub, plug it in and let 'er rumble.
You'll have to adjust sub settings by using the knobs on top of the amp. Problem is, you won't be able to read what they say unless you remove the amp... I'm lazy so I just adjusted on-the-fly while the music was playing to dial it in.

Are the audio settings available in the game settings? Im praying for a headset support or a mod and would love to be able to tweak the sound for this.

#2977 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Are the audio settings available in the game settings? Im praying for a headset support or a mod and would love to be able to tweak the sound for this.

I'm not aware of any audio settings in the game settings...

#2978 6 years ago

Are the audio settings available in the game settings?

Check page 3-13 in the preliminary manual. There are some settings. No idea if they are what you are looking for.

#2979 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

remove the back box.

Do you mean remove the backglass?

I haven’t done this yet but I think the lower row of outputs are labeled SUB. I think you would hook up the sub to either the two on the right or the two on the left.

#2980 6 years ago

Finally got to play Houdini the other day. Great game but some seriously tight shots ! Built like a tank too. His eyes on the playfield creep me out ! lol

#2981 6 years ago

Putting this here to let people know, more infos in my development thread;

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdinis-steampunk-shooter-rod-and-development-thread#post-4285090

thank guys, bob.

Stage Cover in machine (right) (resized).JPGStage Cover in machine (right) (resized).JPG

#2982 6 years ago

How we doing on games shipping? Looks like this will be my birthday present this year

#2983 6 years ago

Fisrt order of business might be to update the code when I get my game next week. I don't think I've ever waited this long for a game. Now let's just hope it gets here in one piece

#2984 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

What location was this at?

The 257 arcade in Woodfield Mall in Illinois. Very cool place by the way.

#2985 6 years ago
Quoted from tmntrule999:

The 257 arcade in Woodfield Mall in Illinois. Very cool place by the way.

I've been there, I recommend the pulled pork nachos or the Cubano.. Was a broken flipper return spring, it is now playable once again!

#2986 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check page 3-13 in the preliminary manual. There are some settings. No idea if they are what you are looking for.

There are no sound adjustments within the software. All sound adjustments are done at the amp.

IMG_20180412_122134706 (resized).jpgIMG_20180412_122134706 (resized).jpg

#2987 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

There are no sound adjustments within the software. All sound adjustments are done at the amp.

It was great meeting you at TPF Barry!
Everyone there was so very helpful and knowledgeable. What a great team.

Is the amp easily accessible? Those settings would be sufficient for just about anything.
From what I understand its buried in the backbox and the screen has to be removed to get to it?

Or can it be relocated?

I dont have my game yet so Im interested in this.

Thanks!

#2988 6 years ago

Is the amp easily accessible? Those settings would be sufficient for just about anything.
From what I understand its buried in the backbox and the screen has to be removed to get to it?
Or can it be relocated?

Screen only needs removing if your hooking up a sub. The controls you see Barry holding are pointed up, so when backglass is off you see those adjustment pots. Easily reachable. With amp being in back box, i just went with a few backglass off games and made it to my liking. However, the settings shipped out were plenty good out of the box.

#2989 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Screen only needs removing if your hooking up a sub. The controls you see Barry holding are pointed up, so when backglass is off you see those adjustment pots. Easily reachable. With amp being in back box, i just went with a few backglass off games and made it to my liking. However, the settings shipped out were plenty good out of the box.

That's excellent news! I think I will definitely add the sub as well as a headphone jack to this game.
I really hope that some cool tricks with the magnets are going to be added to the code as Im replacing my Theatre of Magic with Houdini. I love the magnet tricks in ToM..... Its Magic!

#2990 6 years ago

That's excellent news! I think I will definitely add the sub as well as a headphone jack to this game.
I really hope that some cool tricks with the magnets are going to be added to the code as Im replacing my Theatre of Magic with Houdini. I love the magnet tricks in ToM..... Its Magic!

I forgot to mention there is a master volume on coin door controls like every other Bally/Williams.
In the long run if youve had your TOM more than a couple years, you wont regret the upgrade to Houdini. Much more to do and master.
On a side not about subwoofers, thats todays project!

20180412_081518 (resized).jpg20180412_081518 (resized).jpg

#2991 6 years ago

Sorry for the blurry picture.

IMG_20180412_122754170_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpgIMG_20180412_122754170_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpg

#2992 6 years ago

I forgot to mention there is a master volume on coin door controls like every other Bally/Williams.
In the long run if youve had your TOM more than a couple years, you wont regret the upgrade to Houdini. Much more to do and master.

I got my ToM HUO in 1998 (2nd owner).
A lot of the time I can get to the final mode on ball one in a 5 ball game.
I havent really played it in 10 years but people play it at parties and they love the magnet tricks as do I.
That being said, Im not holding on to it for guests. I want games that I like to play.

I really liked Houdini at TPF and decided to buy in. I hope the finished code is amazing and outrageous!
Plus the creepy Houdini eyes really drew me in a lot like my Funhouse

#2993 6 years ago

Or can it be relocated?
Thanks!

The settings will be on the top of the amp and are easily accessible by removing the back glass. the connections for the speakers and sub are on the bottom and the monitor sits over that side....So you need to remove the monitor to get to those connections. We set the amp settings a specific way when the game leaves the factory so feel free to adjust for your acoustic setting.

#2994 6 years ago

Or can it be relocated?
Thanks!

Here is the other side of the amp..Covered by the monitor and were a powered sub would be connected.

IMG_20180412_122139651 (resized).jpgIMG_20180412_122139651 (resized).jpg

#2995 6 years ago

I see a lot of guys adding subwoofers on the floor below their games.
Is it possible to add a sub inside the game (im just thinking aloud now...)?
I know that absolutely the external sounds better, but some games have sub onboard now or at least a snappy base speaker?

I just added a sonos play5 to my game room, so Im getting more interested in audio again after not caring for 25 years lol.

#2996 6 years ago

I see a lot of guys adding subwoofers on the floor below their games.
I know that absolutely the external sounds better, but some games have sub onboard now or at least a snappy base speaker?
I just added a sonos play5 to my game room, so Im getting more interested in audio again after not caring for 25 years lol.

You could mount it in the game floor...But, you would have to do some drilling as there is no speaker on the floor from the factory.

#2997 6 years ago

see a lot of guys adding subwoofers on the floor below their games.

No hole in bottom of cabinet. Where your used to seeing that speaker is just pretty cabinet. Personally i dont want to drill it. But you could, add a grill, and inside cabinet sub.

#2998 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

You could mount it in the game floor...But, you would have to do some drilling as there is no speaker on the floor from the factory.

Thanks Barry !

Sounds like an opportunity to use my giant hole saw
The little rusty gears in my head are starting to spin lol.

#2999 6 years ago

It will need 5 or 6 inch hole saw, or template and slow hand jig saw or panel saw after good 1 inch pilot hole.
Advantage if external....you can hook up more than one pinball machine. Add a inline switcher from Frys for $25. Just click to one of 4 pins. Less dust and no vacume needed.

#3000 6 years ago

Thanks Barry !

If you're going to go to that much trouble I'd build a bass box around it to really make it thump (kinda like TNA).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/60 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.