20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 297.
#2901 6 years ago

Deceptive angle and lazy camera work on my part for not taking the glass off but there is a ton of space between the ball and the plastic. There are three switches hanging from above that look like they are supposed to count three balls but the ball won’t pass by and the ball search doesn’t kick it out.

#2902 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Is there something on the ramp stopping the ball?

Look closely, it is stuck under the edge of the plastic under the ramp. See my yellow arrow.

LTG : )

#2903 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

So new question. I’ve had a ball get stuck against this stop several times now. I’m not sure how it’s getting there but when it does the stop and the far left pop bumper just keep going off but the ball doesn’t shake lose. I have to stop the game every time to take the glass off to get the ball out. Any ideas?

This happens on the one here sometimes when a fast ball hits the plastic post, then bounces back, then rolls forward too slowly to trigger the switches (there are three above the ball lane). It used to do it a lot more, but I adjusted the switch leaf so they broke easier even if the ball rolled slowly. You want it so the switch barely breaks when the ball passes under it. The one in your pic is hanging a little too low and needs to be bent up a bit.

balllanelock (resized).jpgballlanelock (resized).jpg

#2904 6 years ago

Looks like it is hanging up on the switch, you might need to very gently adjust it so it can roll under them. Then go into switch test to be sure it registers when ball is touching post . You might want to first check the game is at proper pitch.

Good idea to put three balls in there and move them side to side to be sure all three register in switch test

#2905 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The one in your pic is hanging a little too low and needs to be bent up a bit.

Excellent. I missed the switch in the picture.

#2906 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Excellent. I missed the switch in the picture.

Don't feel bad. I missed it, too, on the Houdini here. When we first got it and were having problems with the locks there, I didn't know there were three suspended switches on TOP and was having a hard time figuring out how to approach the problem. Once I "discovered" the switches, it made it a snap to get it all working right.

#2907 6 years ago

The ball looks like should be resting on the post not stopped behind it so that when the post lowers it releases the ball?
Is the pitch ok?
Does that ramp need more pitch?
Is there something on the ramp stopping the ball?

Pretty sure thats where the roll over lock switches are? I recall there were issues with the ball hanging up or not registering in the beginning but I believe they worked that out. Check the switches.

Edit. Sorry replied from phone before seeing Josh already answer.

#2908 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Don't feel bad. I missed it, too, on the Houdini here. When we first got it and were having problems with the locks there, I didn't know there were three suspended switches on TOP and was having a hard time figuring out how to approach the problem. Once I "discovered" the switches, it made it a snap to get it all working right.

I had exact same issue with mine, ball bounces off of post and I believe that the switch when not aligned causes the issue
My fix was to slightly bend roller arm on switch #2 (the middle one) so that it acts like a one way. Ball goes in and past first two switches hits post and last switch, but with switch arm bent down it keeps ball at post.
To be clear my switch isnt all the way down on playfield but just enough to knock the ball back. It will actually allow the ball to go back this way with minimal effort rolling it back up the path
Hope this helps everyone!

#2909 6 years ago

For anyone who has plugged in an external sub, can you please tell me (or show a photo) where exactly it plugs into? Thanks in advance!

#2910 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

For anyone who has plugged in an external sub, can you please tell me (or show a photo) where exactly it plugs into? Thanks in advance!

Edited as incorrect info was posted

#2911 6 years ago

Topper pic - really like how it fits the theme, color and art style

IMG_0813 (resized).JPGIMG_0813 (resized).JPG

#2912 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Lower left side of Lepy amp (see red colored RCA connector in image).
There is a left and right output so a red AND white RCA connector if you are not familiar (apologies if you are)
I ran the cable behind the monitor, down the main wire chaseway, then out the bottom vented screen (just remove left 4 screws, run cable, protect it with small piece of foam tape, then reinstall vent screen screws)

Awesome. Much appreciate it!!

#2913 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Lower left side of Lepy amp (see red colored RCA connector in image).
There is a left and right output so a red AND white RCA connector if you are not familiar (apologies if you are)
I ran the cable behind the monitor, down the main wire chaseway, then out the bottom vented screen (just remove left 4 screws, run cable, protect it with small piece of foam tape, then reinstall vent screen screws)

I thought the rca's were inputs, not outputs on the amp. I ran mine off the wire outputs like it says to do in the manual.
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/310-308--lp-168ha-manual.pdf

#2914 6 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

I thought the rca's were inputs, not outputs on the amp. I ran mine off the wire outputs like it says to do in the manual.
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/310-308--lp-168ha-manual.pdf

This is correct the lower speaker jacks that are red and black on the mounting plate side of the unit are for the subwoofer the upper speaker Jacks are for your speakers the RCA jacks are for your aux inputs.

It's hard to see since the labeling is right near the wall of the cabinet but they are labeled sub.

#2915 6 years ago

This is correct the lower speaker jacks that are red and black on the mounting plate side of the unit are for the subwoofer the upper speaker Jacks are for your speakers the RCA jacks are for your aux inputs.
It's hard to see since the labeling is right near the wall of the cabinet but they are labeled sub.

Hmmm . My apologies then. I am however getting output from these jacks and the sub is working - strange ... as you are correct they are clearly labeled as inputs.

I removed my original post on the subject

#2916 6 years ago

Slo-mo shot of the catapult shot ...

#2917 6 years ago

Is there an opening to run the speaker wires out of the cabinet or do I need to drill a hole?

#2918 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Is there an opening to run the speaker wires out of the cabinet or do I need to drill a hole?

There is an opening. Bottom of the cabinet you will see cutouts for venting/cooling. They are covered by a screen.
Simply remove 4 screws from right or left side and that screen is flexible enough to just pull up and allow you to drop your sub cord through
Then, I would add a piece of protective tape (I used a piece of foam tape, but a couple of layers of electrical would work) to the sub cord where the screen touches it.
Then re-install the screws - the screen sort of "pinches" the sub cord in place

#2919 6 years ago

Anyone take a quick picture of the SEANCE VUK switch for me? You will need to get creative with your phone to get it "in there"!

I had mine jam on the armature coming up from the plunger/coil (it's a black plastic armature so when the sharp edge of the switch got "past it" - it really stuck there!

Pull the PF up and gently un-stuck it but I want to make certain the switch is oriented and has the correct bend structure to function normally

Seems like the design is for the armature to be under the switch and actually make contact with it every time it launches from the VUK?

First pic is the armature post stuck/jammed against the switch blade edge - the armature was stuck up so high, the ball was resting against it
The second picture is after my correction/fix

IMG_0827 (resized).JPGIMG_0827 (resized).JPG
IMG_0831 (resized).JPGIMG_0831 (resized).JPG

#2920 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Topper pic - really like how it fits the theme, color and art style

Looks good , I'm waiting for Dan at Tilttoppers to finish his ... Coming soon! Big fan of his work.

#2921 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I had mine jam on the armature coming up from the plunger/coil (it's a black plastic armature so when the sharp edge of the switch got "past it" - it really stuck there!

OK - I was nearly 100% certain that the switch blade should NOT be above that armature, so I pulled the switch and bent it like many other VUK switches I've seen. Also got an email back from Barry at API on this Saturday night at almost 9pm to help me trouble shoot it. (these guys ARE AMAZING!)

It was bent incorrectly from getting jammed so violently with the coil armature

Working 100% now!

IMG_0832_LI (resized).jpgIMG_0832_LI (resized).jpg
IMG_0837_LI (resized).jpgIMG_0837_LI (resized).jpg
IMG_0841_LI (resized).jpgIMG_0841_LI (resized).jpg

#2922 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

. Also got an email back from Barry at API on this Saturday night at almost 9pm to help me trouble shoot it. (these guys ARE AMAZING!)

Barry is top notch guy.
This whole AP team are taking this to the next level.

#2923 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

This whole AP team are taking this to the next level.

If you get the chance to see them at a show. Talk to them. They have some really great people working there. I was lucky enough to ride with 3 of them from TPF back to DFW, and spend time chatting and enjoying life.

#2924 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Looks good , I'm waiting for Dan at Tilttoppers to finish his ... Coming soon! Big fan of his work.

If it looks anything like their LOTR topper,looks like i will be spending some money

#2925 6 years ago

Pretty damned excited to join the owner's club, even better because it was a surprise birthday present from my wife! Have to give AP major props for the way they pack this game in the box, very, very well done. Have to adjust a few things here and there but so far I'm very happy other than having to figure out how to hit some of these shots!

20180407_210946 (resized).jpg20180407_210946 (resized).jpg

#2926 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Pretty damned excited to join the owner's club, even better because it was a surprise birthday present from my wife! Have to give AP major props for the way they pack this game in the box, very, very well done. Have to adjust a few things here and there but so far I'm very happy other than having to figure out how to hit some of these shots!

Enjoy!!! Very nice and cool game,Hopefully i will be playing it tomorrow

#2927 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you get the chance to see them at a show. Talk to them. They have some really great people working there. I was lucky enough to ride with 3 of them from TPF back to DFW, and spend time chatting and enjoying life.

Very cool Lloyd! Sure wish I would have run into you at TPF - always wanted to say hello.

The API guys are truly genuine folks. I was right next door to the API team at TPF for most of the show (at the Pinstadium booth helping Scott and Sindie). Before the show opened I got to hang out with Joe and later Josh, Barry and the rest of the team.

I was extremely impressed at the "we're in it together" attitude they all displayed - especially at the TPF API forum/discussion. They celebrated each other's contribution, recognized the team members back home and had the ownership in the audience as well. Mukesh Vasani took time to speak to me after the API event and made it clear that they were 100% focused on customer satisfaction. He handed me his business card and said to call if I needed anything at all.

With a team like they have assembled - that call will never be necessary but it shows the level of commitment at API from the top down

#2928 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Congrats - best birthday present EVER!! (Happy Bday too)

#2929 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Sure wish I would have run into you at TPF - always wanted to say hello.

I'm sorry we didn't meet. I was right down the row from Houdini camped out at the remakes.

Good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise. CGC will send me again next year.

#2930 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Slo-mo shot of the catapult shot ...
» YouTube video

Awesome!

#2931 6 years ago
Quoted from Malibu-SS:

If it looks anything like their LOTR topper,looks like i will be spending some money

He has some outstanding toppers, the Jurassic Park is amazing, I commissioned him to do the Pinball Magic topper , I'm sure it's going to be a great add on to this game!

#2932 6 years ago

The catapult never gets old, looks incredible in slow motion!

#2933 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Congratulations on best Birthday Gift ever!
What number did you get?

#2934 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Congratulations on best Birthday Gift ever!
What number did you get?

He now owns Game #153
Enjoy
Pincades
JT

#2935 6 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

He now owns Game #153

Wow mine is #39 ... Nice job in getting these units down the line!

#2936 6 years ago

Delaware Pinball will be streaming Houdini at 2pm est. This will be our first time ever touching the game.

https://m.twitch.tv/delawarepinball

#2937 6 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

He now owns Game #153
Enjoy
Pincades
JT

Yep, serial number 1153, thanks again Jesse. The playfield in this game is the nicest I have ever seen in a production game, it's nicer than my WOZRR and WAY nicer looking than the one in the HUO GOTG Pro I bought recently. The clear coat is extremely smooth and looks fantastic. So far the only issues I'm having is the loop shot through the pops usually doesn't make it to the theater, it triggers one of the pops instead and the left outer loop is not smooth. Haven't dug into it yet to see what kind of adjustment may be possible for the first problem but I think the switches are just too stiff in the left loop so that should be simple. So far the trunk catapult is perfect since initial adjustment. Hard game, but a lot of fun!

#2938 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yep, serial number 1153, thanks again Jesse. The playfield in this game is the nicest I have ever seen in a production game, it's nicer than my WOZRR and WAY nicer looking than the one in the HUO GOTG Pro I bought recently. The clear coat is extremely smooth and looks fantastic. So far the only issues I'm having is the loop shot through the pops usually doesn't make it to the theater, it triggers one of the pops instead and the left outer loop is not smooth. Haven't dug into it yet to see what kind of adjustment may be possible for the first problem but I think the switches are just too stiff in the left loop so that should be simple. So far the trunk catapult is perfect since initial adjustment. Hard game, but a lot of fun!

I agree, this game is stunning and the build quality is amazing. I think all the talk of the shots being too tight is blown way out of proportion. It really is a special pin and you can tell a lot of love went into it.

#2939 6 years ago

Can't stop photographing this beauty.

Here are some cabinet shots ...

IMG_0857 (resized).JPGIMG_0857 (resized).JPG
IMG_0855 (resized).JPGIMG_0855 (resized).JPG
IMG_0852 (resized).JPGIMG_0852 (resized).JPG
IMG_0856 (resized).JPGIMG_0856 (resized).JPG
IMG_0860 (resized).JPGIMG_0860 (resized).JPG
IMG_0858 (resized).JPGIMG_0858 (resized).JPG

#2940 6 years ago

Went to my favorite downtown Pinball location (Lyman’s Tavern in DC) and Houdini is down... looks like a problem with the pop bumper. I has a sad...

A8EE99B0-3218-47F3-BAE2-9D22C1500906 (resized).jpegA8EE99B0-3218-47F3-BAE2-9D22C1500906 (resized).jpeg

#2941 6 years ago

That would have had to have been one heck of an air ball.

#2942 6 years ago

"Ladies and gentleman! Houdini breaks loose!"

#2943 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

looks like a problem with the pop bumper.

Looks like someone found the secret stage mode the 'exploding lock trick'. I'll assume they are reaching out to our service department for assistance.

#2944 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Looks like someone found the secret stage mode the 'exploding lock trick'. I'll assume they are reaching out to our service department for assistance.

Maybe related to that, I just had a problem where one of the screws dropped out of front lock. I attempted to screw it back in, but the hole is stripped. Could be a weak area in the design.

#2945 6 years ago

I played it for the first time this last weekend at VUK in Bethesda and had a blast. 10 straight games and man this was a challenging game... frustrating yet satisfying as well. My best score was 224k which I was happy with considering the high score was 600+k. I''ll be playing more of Houdini for sure whenever I'm out. My only complaint was out of the 6+ shots catapulting into the box only one of them made it. Hopefully this doesn't become a common problem. Great job AP!

#2946 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I don’t think the pop broke, it looks like it was removed. Lyman’s is staffed by people who KNOW what they are doing, so I assume they have already reached out. The bartender who is apparently not involved in fixing the games told me “something broke on The Board.” Silly me, I assume he means there was a burnout in the backbox! Then I saw the removed pop.. LOL

#2947 6 years ago

Anyone else experiencing random Multiballs when there shouldn't be one? It's happened to me twice so far and then the game seems to kinda lose track of where balls are for a while. I'm also experiencing randomly weak flippers, usually the right one but sometimes the left as well. It usually only happens for a single flip but I had a really good Trunk MB going in the Elephant mode and the right flipper got REALLY weak for about 10 seconds then snapped back to life. It would be a really good way of messing with you even further if this was intended behavior at times but I don't think it is.

#2948 6 years ago

Went to an arcade last weekend and Houdini was the one pinball machine out of order. I was so excited to play it. Planning on going again soon though and hopefully they have it ready to go.

#2949 6 years ago
Quoted from tmntrule999:

Went to an arcade last weekend and Houdini was the one pinball machine out of order. I was so excited to play it. Planning on going again soon though and hopefully they have it ready to go.

New game, new parts - takes longer to diagnose the problem I’m sure. The one st my location should be up and runnng again fast

#2950 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Anyone else experiencing random Multiballs when there shouldn't be one? It's happened to me twice so far and then the game seems to kinda lose track of where balls are for a while. I'm also experiencing randomly weak flippers, usually the right one but sometimes the left as well. It usually only happens for a single flip but I had a really good Trunk MB going in the Elephant mode and the right flipper got REALLY weak for about 10 seconds then snapped back to life. It would be a really good way of messing with you even further if this was intended behavior at times but I don't think it is.

New code that will be released shortly (a few a owners are testing it now), that should clean up some of the oddness. Of course sometimes people think they are incorrect multiballs, when the are actually legit. Regardless, after the code update if you are still having issues we can investigate further.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/59?hl=videogod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.