20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 297.
#2801 6 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

where did that come from?

I guess it is possible they did not properly clear out all balls after doing final testing.

Quoted from LTG:

Is there a captive ball anywhere that you didn't install ?

There is a captive ball inside the stage, but it is is screwed on, so while it is possible it somehow came loose, not likely and if it did, the stage would likely be behaving oddly. Plus one of the balls would have a hole in it . If you run through stage test, you should see the captive ball appear and disappear.

Quoted from adamross:

Has anyone successfully attached a sub woofer to this game?

Can be easily done, there are speaker lugs for it on the amp.

#2802 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Has anyone successfully attached a sub woofer to this game? Audio sounds a little too "tinny" for my liking, needs some oomph!

Open the back box. Take the lcd down. You will now see the amp where you can hook the sub up directly. Google the amp model for directions on how to hook up the sub if you are not sure. This is what I did and it works great.

#2803 6 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Open the back box. Take the lcd down. You will now see the amp where you can hook the sub up directly. Google the amp model for directions on how to hook up the sub if you are not sure. This is what I did and it works great.

Do I need a powered or unpowered sub?

#2804 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I guess it is possible they did not properly clear out all balls after doing final testing. Woo Hoo! Free pinball! It's all good...really working at getting my shots down...so far this game is awsome. I like the ramp difficulty...give you a challenge and I think that is what keeps you coming back for more. The last thing I want is another easy ramp, boring TOM.

There is a captive ball inside the stage, but it is is screwed on, so while it is possible it somehow came loose, not likely and if it did, the stage would likely be behaving oddly. Plus one of the balls would have a hole in it . If you run through stage test, you should see the captive ball appear and disappear.

Can be easily done, there are speaker lugs for it on the amp.

#2805 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Powered, just turn it down before you turn it on the first time, and dial it up when you have the game going

#2806 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Suspect either, depends on how much power you want. The amp does have a volume control for the subwoofer and a crossover adjustment

Shaker motors being installed for machines that will be at MGC. Should be available to order shortly thereafter. Takes four screws to mount to existing T-nuts, 2 screws to put the lid on and then the cable plugs into an existing board a foot or so away.

IMG_3073 (resized).JPGIMG_3073 (resized).JPG

#2807 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Shaker motors being installed for machines that will be at MGC. Should be available to order shortly thereafter. Takes four screws to mount to existing T-nuts, 2 screws to put the lid on and then the cable plugs into an existing board a foot or so away.

Cost, shipped?

#2808 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Cost, shipped?

What he said lol

#2809 6 years ago

Will this game ever be available - or available this year - NIB without a wait?

#2810 6 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Can you give details on your sub? Sounds like something I will put in.

#2811 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Will this game ever be available - or available this year - NIB without a wait?

Someone is (was?) selling theirs on the marketplace for what they had into it.

EDIT: Looks like WAS selling. Sold in one day:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/62331

#2812 6 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Can you give details on your sub? Sounds like something I will put in.

Polk 10" sub https://www.amazon.com/Polk-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer-Single/dp/B0002KVQBA

They are 100 right now, They go onsale for $80 often.

#2813 6 years ago

I like the fact that the Houdini Code version is actually the date so no guessing when it was released.
I enjoy reading the fixes, changes, additions made to the code as new versions are being released.

Will there a history of the release notes to made available for the earlier code releases so one can follow the progression?

#2814 6 years ago

Report on fb of one of these catching fire at level 257? Anyone hear about this?

#2815 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Report on fb of one of these catching fire at level 257? Anyone hear about this?

Ruh-roh.

#2816 6 years ago

Can anyone confirm if the threads on the leg bolts are the same as regular type like Stern?
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3391

While I see the Allen Head type they use fits with the theme, I would rather use regular types with nylon bushings.

#2817 6 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Can anyone confirm if the threads on the leg bolts are the same as regular type like Stern?
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3391
While I see the Allen Head type they use fits with the theme, I would rather use regular types with nylon bushings.

Go with the ones they provide. Look much better on this cabinet then standard leg bolts.

#2818 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

What ?! Lol. Is there a link? Or is this one of those “heard from a friend of a friend” things?

#2819 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What ?! Lol. Is there a link? Or is this one of those “heard from a friend of a friend” things?

You can't really link to facebook...

Screenshot_20180404-090430 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180404-090430 (resized).png

#2820 6 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Yes, besides looking better, these also use the same wrench as is used for the head -- one tool to do it all. I can understand the desire adding nylon bushing to it.

Quoted from bigd1979:

I was texted about it last night. My understanding is that it was Roger Sharpe 's fault, he tilted the game and Houdini has the ultimate death tilt. My guess is a toasted coil, but I'll know more once we send someone out to look at it.

Quoted from CUJO:

I like the fact that the Houdini Code version is actually the date so no guessing when it was released.
I enjoy reading the fixes, changes, additions made to the code as new versions are being released.
Will there a history of the release notes to made available for the earlier code releases so one can follow the progression?

I have found that traditional software release numbering did not make sense in pinball. first, people tend to tie version 1.0 as being 'complete code' or worse look at a .87 as 87% done, and neither of those is likely the case. I can buy an argument that when a game starts to ship it is 1.0, and then go from there (which I believe is what Scott did on TNA, not sure), and hard to see how machines could ever get such an upgrade as to justify then being a 2.0, unless the version 1 code was really sub-part when released, but since typically those are < 1.0 . . . Rosh now wonders if he just insulted people, since he does not keep track of releases from other companies, but I decided early on, to the consternation of some, that I would be using release dates.

As far as version history, I did not include the history last time we published release notes, only what was in that release. Part of that is earlier release notes were not really written for public consumption, but including older release notes is something I will look at.

#2821 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yes, besides looking better, these also use the same wrench as is used for the head -- one tool to do it all. I can understand the desire adding nylon bushing to it.

Actually the tool supplied does not work very well with the new bolts

#2822 6 years ago
Quoted from Malibu-SS:

Actually the tool supplied does not work very well with the new bolts

The original batch of wrenches we had were not sized correctly when they were made, that has been corrected. They worked fine for the heads, but were slightly too big for the bolts. Games going out now have the corrected version.

#2823 6 years ago

Wondering how the shaker will be implemented into game play. The disappearing elephant is one ... Maybe somehow in seance mode...
?

#2824 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thanks Rosh. Last question, so are the bolts same diameter so I can use nylon bushings on the stock Houdini ones? That would be cool.

#2825 6 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Thanks Rosh. Last question, so are the bolts same diameter so I can use nylon bushings on the stock Houdini ones? That would be cool.

Pretty sure they are. I just grabbed some out of the parts bin (black ones) and they worked fine. Nylon bushings are pretty much mandatory since the coating is kind of fragile compared to normal powdercoating.

#2826 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Cost, shipped?

Shaker motor when available will be $99.95 + shipping, so the same price as every other shaker motor.

Quoted from transprtr4u:

Wondering how the shaker will be implemented into game play. The disappearing elephant is one

Who says we are actually going to implement into game play?, we are just selling them since some folks like having them. Yes, elephant is one place, but I think I'll let folks experience it at MGC before I talk more about how it is being used. I believe all of the games at MGC (in Kingpin and Pincades booths) will have the shaker motors. I believe they will all also have Magic Glass.

Quoted from cleland:

so are the bolts same diameter so I can use nylon bushings on the stock Houdini ones

Yes, would have been pretty crappy of us to use a different size bolt. Given the narrow head, I guess it is possible if the inner diameter of the bushing is too big it won't sit right, but I think you will be okay.

. . .

Update on the smoke. We had someone go out to assess things and everything was operating correctly. Since we knew something happened, I took a trip out and we checked the resistance on the coils and did find one slightly out of spec. Once it was removed we could see that the wrapper had partially burned, so we replaced the coil. What is nice is that having all coils using a connector, it easy to test the coils out of circuit. After reviewing the logs, etc. it appears that Roger's violent play resulted in him tilting at just the right half second window where a missing flag in the code tied to a particular switch resulted in the diverter not being properly released when the tilt occurred. The code has being corrected and is being tested now, and will be in the next release.

#2827 6 years ago

Will this game(s) be at the Allentown show?

#2828 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Yes, probably 4 at minimum.

#2829 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I believe multiple American Pinball Distributors will be there with Houdini's. I suspect someone from American Pinball will also be there.

#2830 6 years ago

Picking Houdini #147 up now!

B6001A51-BEDB-495F-AB05-FFC29F98A5B9 (resized).jpegB6001A51-BEDB-495F-AB05-FFC29F98A5B9 (resized).jpeg

8FDD6529-3D14-428E-8B00-DC5EDD913CE9 (resized).jpeg8FDD6529-3D14-428E-8B00-DC5EDD913CE9 (resized).jpeg

#2831 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pretty sure they are. I just grabbed some out of the parts bin (black ones) and they worked fine. Nylon bushings are pretty much mandatory since the coating is kind of fragile compared to normal powdercoating.

Thanks for confirming, I'm going to order up some black ones from Pinball Life.

#2832 6 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Thanks for confirming, I'm going to order up some black ones from Pinball Life.

Ace hardware has them if you have one of those. Pretty much any good hardware store should have them. They're in the section of the store with all the drawers with miscellaneous screws, nuts, fittings, etc. That's where I get mine (black and white, both).

#2833 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Picking Houdini #147 up now!

Congratulations, mine should be arriving tomorrow. How do you know that your game is #147 is there a serial number that shows it?

#2834 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

is there a serial number that shows it?

Yup, if you zoom in you can see it right on the box. It will also be several places on the machine.

#2835 6 years ago

You can see in my previous post that I drove to the freight yard and picked my Houdini up. What a blessing to have my dad here from NY to pick it up and unbox it with me. I asked him to play the first game ... here are some pics!

I played my first solo game and REALLY loved the gameplay. A beautifully made machine. Much heavier/solid than the competitors build. Art is stunning. Play field is like glass. Trunk shot is at 100%. Added a topper. I had mine shipped with art blades and they are just perfect.

First full game over 11 minutes and just plain fun!

Home run Josh, Joe and AP Team!

More detailed review and thoughts to follow

22FC725E-3507-42CC-ABB0-118D4104B15D (resized).jpeg22FC725E-3507-42CC-ABB0-118D4104B15D (resized).jpeg
5B836C81-3AEB-4CAA-96AA-F5B180EAF739 (resized).jpeg5B836C81-3AEB-4CAA-96AA-F5B180EAF739 (resized).jpeg
6DC87E9D-3551-4476-91CE-BDD1F7209E85 (resized).jpeg6DC87E9D-3551-4476-91CE-BDD1F7209E85 (resized).jpeg

#2836 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I had mine shipped with art blades and they are just perfect.

Be VERY careful raising and lowering the PF with those art blades. They're much more paper-like than the Stern official ones and snag/tear VERY easily if something on either PF edge drags.

#2837 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Be VERY careful raising and lowering the PF with those art blades. They're much more paper-like than the Stern official ones and snag/tear VERY easily if something on either PF edge drags.

Thx for the heads up and will do.

#2838 6 years ago

Where do you order those nice toppers,please??

#2839 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Where do you order those nice toppers,please??

Joe at Laseriffic (sp?)

#2841 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Bought this today to ease the sting of the wait over the next several months...

Thanks for the lead. Ordered the book. Interested to learn more about the man. Cool coffee-table version too. OK, it'll actually be sitting on the bar next to the machine but same concept.

#2842 6 years ago

I have a RED FLAG in SWITCH TEST on the WIRE RAMP EXIT. (see pic)
Where is this switch so I can see why it's stuck closed? I must be blind as I don't see a switch or opto
on either wire ramp exit.

Thanks.
CuJo

wirerampexit (resized).jpgwirerampexit (resized).jpg

#2843 6 years ago

That's where I ordered mine as well. Only issue was the 12volt plug/converter that supplies power. Worked intermittently and I had to crack open the plastic housing and re-solder the positive leg as it was just simply sliding back and forth in the thru hole of the circuit board. Solid now

Looks great too!

#2844 6 years ago

A few high rez pics of the Houdini playfield as I did not see a ton of these out there yet ...

Beautiful game!!

IMG_0747 (resized).JPGIMG_0747 (resized).JPGIMG_0751 (resized).JPGIMG_0751 (resized).JPGIMG_0748 (resized).JPGIMG_0748 (resized).JPG
IMG_0767 (resized).JPGIMG_0767 (resized).JPGIMG_0768 (resized).JPGIMG_0768 (resized).JPGIMG_0766 (resized).JPGIMG_0766 (resized).JPGIMG_0764 (resized).JPGIMG_0764 (resized).JPGIMG_0765 (resized).JPGIMG_0765 (resized).JPGIMG_0762 (resized).JPGIMG_0762 (resized).JPGIMG_0761 (resized).JPGIMG_0761 (resized).JPGIMG_0759 (resized).JPGIMG_0759 (resized).JPGIMG_0760 (resized).JPGIMG_0760 (resized).JPGIMG_0756 (resized).JPGIMG_0756 (resized).JPGIMG_0755 (resized).JPGIMG_0755 (resized).JPGIMG_0763 (resized).JPGIMG_0763 (resized).JPGIMG_0754 (resized).JPGIMG_0754 (resized).JPGIMG_0757 (resized).JPGIMG_0757 (resized).JPGIMG_0758 (resized).JPGIMG_0758 (resized).JPGIMG_0753 (resized).JPGIMG_0753 (resized).JPGIMG_0752 (resized).JPGIMG_0752 (resized).JPGIMG_0750 (resized).JPGIMG_0750 (resized).JPGIMG_0749 (resized).JPGIMG_0749 (resized).JPGIMG_0746 (resized).JPGIMG_0746 (resized).JPG

IMG_0745 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_0745 (2) (resized).JPG

#2845 6 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I have a RED FLAG in SWITCH TEST on the WIRE RAMP EXIT. (see pic)
Where is this switch so I can see why it's stuck closed? I must be blind as I don't see a switch or opto

Look at the fourth photo just posted by MT45

#2846 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Look at the fourth photo just posted by MT45

Happy to help even incidentally!

#2847 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

A few high rez pics of the Houdini playfield as I did not see a ton of these out there yet ...

Really nice photos, thanks for sharing them

#2848 6 years ago

Thanks for the good high-res playfield pics. My wife and I really want to pick up one of these and the pictures aren't doing anything to help with my problem ha ha.

#2849 6 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Might not be at the exit, might be on the way there. Like the optos I circled in MT45's picture.

LTG : )

645793d3569a46d4d4a46e7e12182031299ece64 (resized).jpg645793d3569a46d4d4a46e7e12182031299ece64 (resized).jpg

#2850 6 years ago

Stopped by JJ’s after work today and got to play Houdini without a million other pinballs going off (I’ve only played it at expo and TPF). It’s such an awesome game / scratch that it’s truly a work of art. I’m so impressed and soon as my room is complete I can pick mine up. Can’t wait!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/57?hl=6point5degrees and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.