20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 297.
#2551 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You sure do seem to have alot of trouble with weak flippers on games, whats up with that?

In the case of Houdini at Cidercade, it sounds like the flippers just needed the power turned up.

In the case of GOTG from Stern, they apparently discovered a bug in the code of Lonnie games on Spike and it needs to be fixed. Something with how he is handling all the data going between the node boards and main MPU where the pipeline was not big enough for the data chunks being jammed through it. One of their code team acknowledged that thsi was an issue at TPF and thankfully they finally discovered it. Hopefully new code pathes come soon for GOTG, Aero, and KISS (I have noticed it on GOTG and KISS, but assume it can also be an issue on Aero since a Lonnie game)

#2552 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

That is an AWESOME score!!
I would bet one of the highest at the show if not THE highest. Well done sir.
I played my first game (ever) at the AP booth with Joe watching and scored over 600K. I think my score remained the GC on that game all the way to Sunday.
Wife played it too and Joe and I were getting a kick out of watching! I was IMMEDIATELY hooked and walked over to Larry at Flip-n-out and handed him my check - paid in full. What a great game and what a super group of guys pulling as a team for the win!

Thank you very much! My highest score at home is 1.7, but I was super proud to put up that GC in front of others at TPF! I hope you enjoy your game. It’s amazing!

#2553 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

One of my favorite features of the machine. I understand if some may not enjoy it. Similar on my GBLE but without inverted. You can get pretty good at it by reversing your arms!

Don’t give up on reverse inverted either! I nearly always start it with a 2x shot so it runs at 6x jackpots and I can now almost always hit atleast 3 or more Jackpots!

#2554 6 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

I love mine. I’m running a sub off the power amp to help fill out the sound. Customer service has been great!

Care to take photos of the connection and cable used? Would love to do that same as I have my sub from a previous Alien machine just sitting around.

#2555 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

I thought the right most one at the booth felt weak but the others felt fine.

I discovered on Sunday morning at 2AM that the right most game was having issues, was fine on Friday, with 99% results on catapult, when I checked stats at end of night Saturday/Sunday morning I saw it was way, way down, so clearly some power thing cropped up Saturday that was not there Friday, and since that was at the far end with no room on either side, we were not really watching the game play on it (and no one mentioned it). I believe it was adjusted for Sunday.

Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Don’t give up on reverse inverted either! I nearly always start it with a 2x shot so it runs at 6x jackpots and I can now almost always hit atleast 3 or more Jackpots!

Once you get the hang of it, it is certainly not 3X harder then reversed, so well worth it. Work the playfield multiplier up and this can be 24X.

#2556 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can't wait to get inside this machine!!

If you do get inside it, will you be wearing a Houdini style Straight Jacket with chains and locks
Please take a video

#2557 6 years ago

I certainly hope Houdini playfields aren't switched to another vendor. The ones I've seen are beautiful, solid and amazing! I'm also saying this bcuz; I'm a future buyer of Houdini. Seems like a fair amount of time down the road and wouldn't want to get a different manufacture company's PF.

I'm very concerned with quality of others PF companies. Especially with issues noted with ghosting, planking and now a lot of noise about ribbing. Those PF's look BAD!

#2558 6 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I certainly hope Houdini playfields aren't switched to another vendor. The ones I've seen are beautiful, solid and amazing! I'm also saying this bcuz; I'm a future buyer of Houdini. Seems like a fair amount of time down the road and wouldn't want to get a different manufacture company's PF.
I'm very concerned with quality of others PF companies. Especially with issues noted with ghosting, planking and now a lot of noise about ribbing. Those PF's look BAD!

This playfield is amazing. Smooth as glass after 1000 balls in my machine. Demo Sterns from Banning show were showing signs of bumps after 300 plays. Everyone at show, some new stern demo owners loved the glass off , playfield up demo for techs on Sunday morning we had.

#2559 6 years ago

does the game come with coin mechs installed? If not then which coin mechs should I order for it?

#2560 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

does the game come with coin mechs installed? If not then which coin mechs should I order for it?

Comes with coin mechs, but NOT a dollar bill acceptor. And bucking the recent trend toward 12v DBA, Houdini uses 110v DBAs.

#2561 6 years ago

Comes with fully loaded coin door!

#2562 6 years ago

Don't forget chipping. Clear chipping is terrible, too, and more destructive than ribbing.

#2563 6 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I want to send out THANKS to Joe, Jerry, Jim, Barry and Josh! Great service from all. My Houdini is now working like a champ.

My I ask what the issues were?

#2564 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Comes with fully loaded coin door!

20180322_123305 (resized).jpg20180322_123305 (resized).jpg

20180322_123215 (resized).jpg20180322_123215 (resized).jpg

#2565 6 years ago

If you do get inside it, will you be wearing a Houdini style Straight Jacket with chains and locks
Please take a video

LOL!! And for my next escape, I will lock myself in the backbox!

#2566 6 years ago

rosh is there any area of the playfield on your test games that are showing signs of wear? I'm wondering about putting Mylar on certain sections of the playfield such as over the magnets in order to keep the playfield nice longer.

#2567 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

rosh is there any area of the playfield on your test games that are showing signs of wear? I'm wondering about putting Mylar on certain sections of the playfield such as over the magnets in order to keep the playfield nice longer.

We've got over 100 plays on it getting the kinks out and there's no sign of wear or chipping. At this point Dialed In had already chipped at the SIM card hole. There are actually mylar pieces (or clingy plastic, I haven't seen if they come up) on the playfield already. Look by the jail hole entrance.

#2568 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Comes with coin mechs, but NOT a dollar bill acceptor. And bucking the recent trend toward 12v DBA, Houdini uses 110v DBAs.

If we can just pretend I'm simple for a second what does 12V DBA and 110V DBA mean?

#2569 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

If we can just pretend I'm simple for a second what does 12V DBA and 110V DBA mean?

DBA - Dollar Bill Accepters

110 Volt versus 12 Volt

#2570 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Games at TPF last weekend showed llittle to no wear at all and those games were getting hammered non-stop with long lines waiting to play.

There is no way a HUO game would have that kind of abuse over a couple years in a home environment.
It was kinda impressive to see how durable pinball machines are over all and through the decades.

#2571 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

I gave you a clue by using the full term before abbreviating

#2572 6 years ago

400 plus plays. No wear any where. I have glass off right now.

20180322_142628 (resized).jpg20180322_142628 (resized).jpg

20180322_142553 (resized).jpg20180322_142553 (resized).jpg

20180322_142603 (resized).jpg20180322_142603 (resized).jpg

#2573 6 years ago

I take my pins to shows and events fairly often, I really never get any playfield wear from an event with 400-800 plays on it. If you clean it well beforehand and have new balls in it, it should show no wear. With a 90s pin you might get some dirt/grime or screws fall out or problems emerge from having it on and being played that long, but a new pin shouldn't really have stuff like that happen, especially playfield wear. If it does, there's a big problem going on with the clear coat.

#2574 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

rosh is there any area of the playfield on your test games that are showing signs of wear?

I've not seen any on my dev machine, which has some huge numbers of plays on it, nor have I seen anything of note on the game at Level257, which as a few thousand, but can't say I have really inspected it closely. I'll try to remember to take a closer look next time I am out there.

Game comes with mylar at scoop, and in pop/stage area. There is also mylar 'half moons' in the coin box for those who want to add them to the sling shots.

My understanding is that a playfield will be on its way to cliffy in the not too distant future, so for those of you who love cliffys . . .

I know he had an opto get knocked off the subway, probably happened when the playfield was being lowered, there is not a ton of space between the opt and the slide bracket in the cabinet, and that was causing some oddness, not sure what other issues he had, I'm sure he will pipe in with more info.

I certainly hope Houdini playfields aren't switched to another vendor. The ones I've seen are beautiful, solid and amazing!

I think they look and play great, and the only way we would switch is if we felt there was something even better. Playfield quality is of the utmost importance.

#2575 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

My understanding is that a playfield will be on its way to cliffy in the not too distant future, so for those of you who love cliffys . . .

Praise the Rosh.

#2576 6 years ago

that's good news

#2577 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

In the case of Houdini at Cidercade, it sounds like the flippers just needed the power turned up.
In the case of GOTG from Stern, they apparently discovered a bug in the code of Lonnie games on Spike and it needs to be fixed. Something with how he is handling all the data going between the node boards and main MPU where the pipeline was not big enough for the data chunks being jammed through it. One of their code team acknowledged that thsi was an issue at TPF and thankfully they finally discovered it. Hopefully new code pathes come soon for GOTG, Aero, and KISS (I have noticed it on GOTG and KISS, but assume it can also be an issue on Aero since a Lonnie game)

So far i haven't noticed anything on my AS, hopefully it stays that way.

#2578 6 years ago

Like Josh said, one opto came out after I had lifted the playfield. It caused some ball searching and red lights going on all over the field. Once I put the opto back in and secured it with metal tape the issue was gone. I had called AP and Barry and Josh helped immediately. While we were talking I noticed the hanging opto. Also I have the scoop at 8 at the moment. Seven was working for a while but a few times the ball tried 3 or 4 times to get out. I had pulled the deflector up slightly. Plus, both of the catapults have never missed.
I have been playing many games and all is working smoothly! The pin is very impressive. It is amazing how much is packed in and it all works. I am happy I did not get another cookie cutter pin.

#2579 6 years ago

Josh,

I have a odd request, Pinstadium basically has 2 channels One channel connects to GI and the stadium lighting follows what the GI is doing. The other channel you hook up to a flasher. I'm having a hard time finding an LED that operates like a flasher. The spots are on all the time. The stage spotlight is also on all of the most of the time. Can you think of a LED that us Pinstadium owners could use as the flasher channel? Otherwise, the flasher channel is pretty much useless.

The LED in the pops is the only other interesting location I can think of. What are the pins on the RGB LEDs? Is the left pin ground and then R-G-B? I'm guessing that there are a lot of Houdini's with Pinstadiums that are running into this issue.

#2580 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Josh,
I have a odd request, Pinstadium basically has 2 channels One channel connects to GI and the stadium lighting follows what the GI is doing. The other channel you hook up to a flasher. I'm having a hard time finding an LED that operates like a flasher. The spots are on all the time. The stage spotlight is also on all of the most of the time. Can you think of a LED that us Pinstadium owners could use as the flasher channel? Otherwise, the flasher channel is pretty much useless.
The LED in the pops is the only other interesting location I can think of. What are the pins on the RGB LEDs? Is the left pin ground and then R-G-B? I'm guessing that there are a lot of Houdini's with Pinstadiums that are running into this issue.

The spotlight on the chest is treated like a flasher when the ball launch happens.

#2581 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

? I'm guessing that there are a lot of Houdini's with Pinstadiums that are running into this issue.

I don't think Houdini needs it personally. Bright white GI throughout, the back strip light for rear of game. Playing it at night, I feel its pretty bright.

#2582 6 years ago

Been on machine all day. Playing, programming, and adding a few accents of flair.
Added some metal copper gears to lane returns and lower slings. I think it looks factory.

20180322_141117 (resized).jpg20180322_141117 (resized).jpg

20180322_141113 (resized).jpg20180322_141113 (resized).jpg

20180322_141141 (resized).jpg20180322_141141 (resized).jpg

20180322_121957 (resized).jpg20180322_121957 (resized).jpg

#2583 6 years ago

I don't think Houdini needs it personally. Bright white GI throughout, the back strip light for rear of game. Playing it at night, I feel its pretty bright.

Agree. It's lit very tastefully, and works in a dark room just fine. Brighter would ruin it.

#2584 6 years ago

So I installed my Pinstadium a couple nights ago and I wasn't impressed at first. I think with all of the hype surrounding Pinstadium I thought it was going to be mind blowing.

But once I got to playing with the phone app comes with it then I could turn it on and off. Wow, the difference is pretty amazing. I'm telling you that unless you have some kind of super-hero, feline vision, you are missing seeing a lot when you're playing in the dark. HUGE difference. My favorite setting is to turn the white channel up all the way and set the RGB channel to yellow or yellowish red. It really makes the game look old timey like gas footlights in a theater from the turn of the century.

Just my opinion, but if you are thinking about getting Pinstadium for your Houdini, I would recommend NOT playing extra for the UV+Glow or even the flasher. There isn't a great LED to tie into yet and the UV-Glow doesn't really fit the theme and not something you want on all the time. Again, just my opinion. Maybe after someone finds a great LED to tie it into then maybe I'll change my opinion. You probably will want to the GI plug in though.

#2585 6 years ago

and adding a few accents of flair.
Added some metal copper gears to lane returns and lower slings. I think it looks factory.

Eric... I agree that looks really tasteful! Not too much, subtle and sharp! Nicely done!

#2586 6 years ago

Eric... I agree that looks really tasteful! Not too much, subtle and sharp! Nicely done!

Thanks Kerry!
Got your PM, will contact you tomorrow.
It bothers me, I still need to hammer coat and make nuts and bolts copper.

#2587 6 years ago

That looks really good!!

#2588 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I have a odd request, Pinstadium

Hooking a third party modification to Houdini can void the warranty. In would therefore be inappropriate for me to provide direction or input on this subject.

#2589 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Just my opinion, but if you are thinking about getting Pinstadium for your Houdini, I would recommend NOT playing extra for the UV+Glow or even the flasher.

Wish I would have read about all this stuff before I ordered earlier this week

#2590 6 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Not that this will help but his new kits are now designed to be universal so you could always install them on a different game or sell them worst case.

#2591 6 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Call or e-mail Scott, he provides fantastic customer service and will make sure you are happy.

#2592 6 years ago

Added some metal copper gears to lane returns and lower slings.

That looks GREAT!!

#2593 6 years ago

The new version of Pinstadium gets its power from the service box, so only having to clip in to a GI shouldn't be much of a risk. There's no potential strain on any board or power supply. I'm going to move a set over in mine this weekend to see how it looks.

#2594 6 years ago

Been on machine all day. Playing, programming, and adding a few accents of flair.

definitely a nice touch, i was about to do the same eventually with all the gears i have here.

paint the screws brass and it will look awesome.

#2595 6 years ago

I just put a deposit down for Houdini at Game Exchange in Co. I met JJ (@gexchange) at TPF and he's a stand up guy (and I liked his hat) !

There is no distibutor in Nevada sadly.

I guess I will have do it if no one steps up, as I think API has got a great thing going here.

Tom

#2596 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Hooking a third party modification to Houdini can void the warranty. In would therefore be inappropriate for me to provide direction or input on this subject.

Same thing on Spike2 now. According to Gomez the power budgets are so crap on Spike2, mods can blow node boards. Nice. What happened to building in a cushion?

#2597 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

W-wait. Is this just for electrical stuff, or will putting Cliffies on (before you start adding them at the factory <- nudge) void the warranty, too?

#2598 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Same thing on Spike2 now. According to Gomez the power budgets are so crap on Spike2, mods can blow node boards. Nice. What happened to building in a cushion?

Whether we gave built in a cushion or not is moot. The point is we have no control over what might be hooked up, some things may have no impact, others could (e.g. fancy topper with a bunch of motors or servos, spotlights brighter than the sun, etc.). In addition, regardless of power requirements, the act of hooking things up can result in damage to the system in other ways. It is certainly possibly that if you don't know what you are doing you could damage the electronics. It is possible that at some point down the road we may consider certifying add-ons or even potentially adding code to support third party mods. Note, I said down the road, not something we would entertain right now, we have enough on our plates.

Quoted from PinMonk:

W-wait. Is this just for electrical stuff, or will putting Cliffies on (before you start adding them at the factory <- nudge) void the warranty, too?

While I understand why it would be desirable, I seriously doubt you will see them added at the factory. Currently none of the add-on options impact the playfield assembly line, they are all cabinet related and therefore easier to manage. Possible we would look at it, but I don't see production management liking this idea.

If you damage your playfield putting on protectors, that is on you, but otherwise I do not believe it would impact the overall warranty coverage.

#2599 6 years ago

rosh

Is there going to be a headphone jack available for Houdini?

I really like the way that JJP automatically gives you one.

I dont think Im alone in asking this.

All of my games have headphone jacks with the exception of my AFMr (it will soon).

I ask because the call outs/music/effects etc. are impossible to hear in an arcade or even on a busy night in my gameroom.

As these game become more complex a lot of us are carrying headphones to the barcade so that we can enjoy the work that was done for us.

#2600 6 years ago

Curious as to the reason why a subwoofer was omitted from this game? The music and callouts are awesome, I can only imagine how much fuller they would sound with a sub down below!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/52?hl=videogod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.