20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 297.
#2501 6 years ago

I was watching a guy play when the machine went to some wonky mode where the flippers were backwards (press button to drop, release button to flip) and also switched side-to-side.

I'd pass on this behavior, annoying not innovating.

Theater of Magic is a machine about magic and they didn't have to do this to have a great game.

#2502 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

I was watching a guy play when the machine went to some wonky mode where the flippers were backwards (press button to drop, release button to flip) and also switched side-to-side.
Theater of Magic is a machine about magic and they didn't have to do this to have a great game.

One of my favorite features of the machine. I understand if some may not enjoy it. Similar on my GBLE but without inverted. You can get pretty good at it by reversing your arms!

#2503 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Just wanted to show off my GC game from TPF on the Houdini Machine located in front of Cointaker! Woot woot

That is an AWESOME score!!
I would bet one of the highest at the show if not THE highest. Well done sir.

I played my first game (ever) at the AP booth with Joe watching and scored over 600K. I think my score remained the GC on that game all the way to Sunday.

Wife played it too and Joe and I were getting a kick out of watching! I was IMMEDIATELY hooked and walked over to Larry at Flip-n-out and handed him my check - paid in full. What a great game and what a super group of guys pulling as a team for the win!

IMG_1515 (resized).JPGIMG_1515 (resized).JPG
IMG_1496 (resized).JPGIMG_1496 (resized).JPG
IMG_1509 (resized).JPGIMG_1509 (resized).JPG
IMG_1530 (resized).JPGIMG_1530 (resized).JPG

#2504 6 years ago

Number 92 is now home! This is my first NIB. Was worth the long wait. The pin is one of the best looking I have seen if not the best. I have made all the shots so far. The hardest is the milk can shot close to the left sling.

The minor problems are the same as others. Scoop needs adjustment. Still trying to get it right. The ball sat in the upper catapult and never came out. The wrench did not fit the bolts. Used a Craftsman hex.

But other than that, the game is great. It looks fantastic and plays great. The playfield is smoother than the new one I just put in my FH. This pin is going to be my favorite soon. I hope everyone gets theirs soon!

20180319_181434_resized (resized).jpg20180319_181434_resized (resized).jpg

20180319_220318_resized_1 (resized).jpg20180319_220318_resized_1 (resized).jpg

#2505 6 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Number 92 is now home! This is my first NIB. Was worth the long wait. The pin is one of the best looking I have seen if not the best. I have made all the shots so far. The hardest is the milk can shot close to the left sling.
The minor problems are the same as others. Scoop needs adjustment. Still trying to get it right. The ball sat in the upper catapult and never came out. The wrench did not fit the bolts. Used a Craftsman hex.
But other than that, the game is great. It looks fantastic and plays great. The playfield is smoother than the new one I just put in my FH. This pin is going to be my favorite soon. I hope everyone gets theirs soon!

Congrats! Beautiful game

#2506 6 years ago

Thanks to the American Pinball crew for being there all weekend. Loved playing Houdini so much that now I'm starting a hassle campaign to get that power supply sorted to begin your exports to Australia ASAP! I need this in my game room this year please!

#2507 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

You can choose whether you want reversed or reversed and inverted. And the mode is meant to mimic Houdini in a straight jacket (you cross your arms to play). Makes WAY more sense than in Ghostbusters.

#2508 6 years ago

What an amazing game!
I played at least 20 games on it at TPF (the one at the flip n out booth had the shortest line).
Im absolutely hooked on it. With the code updates and game improvements Barry talked about, I was ready to buy it then and there!

Sadly I couldnt get it on the plane or I would be playing it right now

Anyone want a HUO ToM?

Wow what an incredible game!

I went to the show thinking about buying GOTG or JJPPOTC.

Ill get the JJPPOTC well after they get some code updates (the lack of finished code on the hobbit has made me a little shy).

Too bad there isnt a nevada distro...

Amazing game congrats American Pinball and team!

#2509 6 years ago

Emailed Jay from IPDB ... Houdini now registered on site....

#2510 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Emailed Jay from IPDB ... Houdini now registered on site....

Good call, surprised it wasnt already there.

#2511 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yeah, probably the worse presentation I have ever given. Between being exhausted and distracted by knowing the Michigan basketball game was starting, I was clearly off my game. I apologize to those who sat through it.

Hey Josh
Just wanted to tell you that I thought the Houdini Seminar was very well thought out and well prepared. It is easy to tell how passionate you guys are about your pin.
Houdini is beautiful and plays great. Thanks for bringing them to TPF.
Wally

#2512 6 years ago

I love mine. I’m running a sub off the power amp to help fill out the sound. Customer service has been great!

#2513 6 years ago

For those Attending the OHIO PINBALL SHOW

There will be 2 Houdini's to play @ the show, myself PINCADES, as well as Abel Electronics will have one to play.
Stop by and see us.
See ya soon.

Pincades
Jesse T

#2514 6 years ago

Side art came in yesterday !
Nicely packaged ....

#2515 6 years ago

I'm itching now to get mine.... go the side art installed at the factory. Hopefully Tommy has good news for me in the next 2 weeks.

#2516 6 years ago

Anyone gotten or seen the magic glass yet? If so, comments on it?

#2517 6 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Thanks to the American Pinball crew for being there all weekend. Loved playing Houdini so much that now I'm starting a hassle campaign to get that power supply sorted to begin your exports to Australia ASAP! I need this in my game room this year please!

You can by a convertor online. Plug one end in the wall and the other to the machine.

#2518 6 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

You can by a convertor online. Plug one end in the wall and the other to the machine.

I thought several months ago Rosh commented that Euro power was coming after production was up and running. I think in a few months Wayne will be getiing a container full of magic.

#2519 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yeah, probably the worse presentation I have ever given. Between being exhausted and distracted by knowing the Michigan basketball game was starting,

I just like the fact that the UM game was distracting great presentation though! Go blue!

#2520 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Side art came in yesterday !
Nicely packaged ....

DEFINITELY use the "wet method" to install them. The material is thinner than the Stern art blades and could tear much easier if you try to correct a mistake. Wet method install works perfectly and you don't have to remove the PF.

#2521 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I don't think it's available yet. Art blades are out now, magic glass up next, then shaker motor.

#2522 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Byran - No magic glass yet... SOON ! I just asked this AM ! Get ready - we'll be shipping your game very soon ! : )
Joe

#2523 6 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Just wanted to tell you that I thought the Houdini Seminar was very well thought out and well prepared.

Quoted from wyopin:

I just like the fact that the UM game was distracting great presentation though! Go blue!

'Great' -- you are too kind, but I do think the content of what we wanted to share made sense for where we are.

I will say the basketball was game, okay, well that is not true, it was somewhat of an ugly game as the refs just weren't letting the teams play and find a flow, but it was an amazing finish with the buzzer beater (as long as you were not a Houston fan). It was also great to see one of our players stop dead in his tracks while celebrating to go over to a player on Houston to console him. Always great to see that kind of sportsmanship. Go Blue!!!

Quoted from PinballSTAR:

No magic glass yet... SOON !

We had hoped to have a couple of sheets at TPF, they were sent there from our manufacturer, but somehow they never arrived. We need to figure out the best way to show them off in the short term so they can be assessed by buyers. Obviously once they are on machines at shows people can assess them in person. I thought the first iteration was really good, but sounds like this new version will be better and also more durable and scratch resistant since it is some kind of a hard coat. I'm curious to see it as well.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I thought several months ago Rosh commented that Euro power was coming after production was up and running.

The power supplies we have can be switched for 220, but there are other things we have to look at, such as necessary certifications, which is the bigger challenge. We have someone working on this. However, we are also looking at some other minor changes to our power supply and that must be done before we do certification, otherwise we have to go through it again. This is a pretty high priority.

#2524 6 years ago

how many of these will be at MGC?

I need more time on a production machine.

#2525 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wet method install works perfectly and you don't have to remove the PF.

Really? Can you install playfield down? or up? I did notice that they are not as wide as others and wondered about that

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2526 6 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

For those Attending the OHIO PINBALL SHOW
There will be 2 Houdini's to play @ the show, myself PINCADES, as well as Abel Electronics will have one to play.
Stop by and see us.
See ya soon.
Pincades
Jesse T

That's great - thanks for the heads up. Just sent this to my husband who will be down there and wants to figure out if this is a buy.

#2527 6 years ago
Quoted from Malibu-SS:

Really? Can you install playfield down? or up? I did notice that they are not as wide as others and wondered about that

You want to have the PF up first, then lay the art blade in place wet with a generous amount of the soapy spray on the backing so you can slide it around and into place. Align it with the edge just below the glass channel and centered around the hole near the back of the cabinet, then get the bubbles out of the front part, then lower the playfield and pull it forward on the rests and get any bubbles out of the back part.

The Houdini art blades don't go below the top edge if the playfield, and they don't go to the front edge of the cabinet (stopping just after the apron meets the PF). Wet Method installation is maybe 10-15 minutes total for both blades.

#2528 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I thought the first iteration was really good, but sounds like this new version will be better and also more durable and scratch resistant since it is some kind of a hard coat. I'm curious to see it as well.

But the version that will come to us buyers is the NEW version not the old one then? There isn't some excess stock of "old version" going to be dumped on us?

#2529 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

But the version that will come to us buyers is the NEW version not the old one then? There isn't some excess stock of "old version" going to be dumped on us?

Pretty sure you read it wrong. The 2 sample sheets you will never see. The new, and only version didnt arrive in time for TPF.

#2530 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

how many of these will be at MGC?

Not sure yet. I should have more info late next week.

Quoted from bemmett:

But the version that will come to us buyers is the NEW version not the old one then?

We only had a few sheets of the old for testing and review. No one would be getting those. I do expect that at least one of the machines at MGC will have the new magic glass. I would also hope we will have the shaker motor in a machine as well.

#2531 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not sure yet. I should have more info late next week.

We only had a few sheets of the old for testing and review. No one would be getting those. I do expect that at least one of the machines at MGC will have the new magic glass. I would also hope we will have the shaker motor in a machine as well.

Looking forward to playing at the MGC!!!

#2532 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

DEFINITELY use the "wet method

Read the post thanks for help!

#2533 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I stopped to play the one at Cidercade last Thursday. It was super weak flippers (not possible to back hand the tight shots like others have suggested trying and left flipper barely able to make ramp).
Just mentioning since I told the bar tech and he said "that is how that game is". Assuming there is a power adjustment that you may want to tell them about.

You sure do seem to have alot of trouble with weak flippers on games, whats up with that?

#2534 6 years ago

Can I order a game now and recieve it later this year with all of the cool toys like shaker motor, magic glass and mirror/art blades?
Or should I wait until september/october and order then?

Who do I order from to get a game to reno nevada? or do I have to order direct?

rosh maybe email me or get me a contact number for more details please

#2535 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Can I order a game now and recieve it later this year with all of the cool toys like shaker motor, magic glass and mirror/art blades?

There are a ton of great distributors posting in this thread that would have a game shipped to you no problem. If you look in the market place you will see all of their ads as well.

#2536 6 years ago

You can currently get one with side art. From what I've heard, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, the cabinets are all drilled for the shaker. You can get your game and then when the shakers are available, just drop it in pretty easily.

Most any distro is going to be able to ship you a game. You can avoid sales tax by having it shipped also. Good luck!

#2537 6 years ago

I would expect that within a month or two all three add-ons will be available installed at the factory. There is a decent size backlog right now, so odds are if you place an order now with a distributor (we do NOT sell direct), by the time you got to the top of the list they would be available, if not you could always tell the distributor you want to wait.

We have a lot of great distributors all over the country, most, if not all, will help get a game to you in Reno. You can find them listed on our website (link below). It would be inappropriate for me to recommend one over another.

https://www.american-pinball.com/distributors/

Quoted from PinballTilt:

please correct me if I'm wrong here, the cabinets are all drilled for the shaker.

you are correct, they are drilled and T-nutted. You just screw in four bolts to install, then 2 screws to put the safety cover on and then it plugs into a circuit board about a foot away. Probably takes less than 5 minutes to install.

#2538 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I would expect that within a month or two all three add-ons will be available installed at the factory. There is a decent size backlog right now, so odds are if you place an order now with a distributor (we do NOT sell direct), by the time you got to the top of the list they would be available, if not you could always tell the distributor you want to wait.
We have a lot of great distributors all over the country, most, if not all, will help get a game to you in Reno. You can find them listed on our website (link below). It would be inappropriate for me to recommend one over another.
https://www.american-pinball.com/distributors/

you are correct, they are drilled and T-nutted. You just screw in four bolts to install, then 2 screws to put the safety cover on and then it plugs into a circuit board about a foot away. Probably takes less than 5 minutes to install.

Thanks!

I met JJ from Gexchange at the TPF meet and greet. He seems like a real stand up guy and made me and Pinballgoddess feel right at home.

I think Ill give him a call !

#2539 6 years ago

I should be getting mine soon, fingers crossed and excited. Should I get leg protectors, are they needed? If so, the Mantis ones?

https://mantispinball.com/product/misc-leg-protector-hidden/

#2540 6 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Should I get leg protectors, are they needed?

Machine comes with leg protectors installed

#2541 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Machine comes with leg protectors installed

Plastic or metal?

#2542 6 years ago

Metal standoffs, the preferred type.

#2543 6 years ago

I was at TPF and played quite a few games. One thing that really bugged me is that the flippers had no power. I struggled to make the ball up the ramp. Can the flipper power be increased or is this a coding issue? Any insight would be helpful.

#2544 6 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

I was at TPF and played quite a few games. One thing that really bugged me is that the flippers had no power. I struggled to make the ball up the ramp. Can the flipper power be increased or is this a coding issue? Any insight would be helpful.

Just like a JJP machine and (I think?) modern Sterns, the settings can adjust coil strength

#2545 6 years ago

Weak flippers probably had something to do with the power at the show. I have Houdini on location and the flippers are plenty strong at factory settings, and you can adjust the power if need be.

#2546 6 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Can the flipper power be increased

Yes it can. You should have mentioned this issue to them so they could adjust it.

LTG : )

#2547 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just like a JJP machine and (I think?) modern Sterns, the settings can adjust coil strength

Much more specific control of individual coils than most Sterns. More like JJP.

#2548 6 years ago

I want to send out THANKS to Joe, Jerry, Jim, Barry and Josh! Great service from all. My Houdini is now working like a champ.

#2549 6 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Did you play on multiple different Houidini games at TPF or just one? I thought the right most one at the booth felt weak but the others felt fine.

#2550 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Much more specific control of individual coils than most Sterns. More like JJP.

Can't wait to get inside this machine!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mclean, VA
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.