20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 297.
#2351 6 years ago

After finally getting to play this game at lax, I put my money down to reserve a spot. Now the wait begins, I'm excited! Good thing I got my deposit down before the announcement of the cgc delay, I expect a lot more Houdini orders now.

#2352 6 years ago

How are the quality of the balls? I generally toss the ones stern includes and use the Shiny balls from pinball life. How are these in comparison?

#2353 6 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

How are the quality of the balls? I generally toss the ones stern includes and use the Shiny balls from pinball life. How are these in comparison?

They are Houdini Magic spheres! Better know as round pinballs... Everyone has a personal preference, I'm sure these will be simple balls like all games.

#2354 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Nobody should feel any pain. This Is an awesome pin and will certainly be worth the wait. A great team whose only fault is wanting to make sure every game is perfect. Look on the bright side, they are still 4 years ahead of the wait for The Big Lebowski!

Ouch.

#2355 6 years ago

For context, I pre-ordered in June and haven't heard anything yet.

#2356 6 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

For context, I pre-ordered in June and haven't heard anything yet.

From PinballSTAR

#2357 6 years ago

Picked up my Houdini today and loving it. I actually think my wife has put more games on it tonight then I have.

20180308_203558 (resized).jpg20180308_203558 (resized).jpg

20180308_203536 (resized).jpg20180308_203536 (resized).jpg

20180308_192634 (resized).jpg20180308_192634 (resized).jpg

#2358 6 years ago

The side blades make the game look even more amazing.

#2359 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

The side blades make the game look even more amazing.

I received my side blades today...cannot wait to install them

#2360 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Oh great that does not make me feel good. Joe told me that the machine would ship to my door from Chicago, but I guess it still ships through his account. This is hella confusing, especially with other guys I’ve called saying they can have it in a month. I figured Joe had some pull, he always puts on such a great show

Come on guys, both of you commenting here have gotten updates from me by email or texts whenever asked, immediately. I know you are excited to get your game and I appreciate that, but there is no news to report - they do not make 1000 games a day and fulfill every order on the first day of production. This game went on sale in April, and one of you ordered in June, and the other ordered in October. Unfortunately the fact is people ordered before you. AND they JUST STARTED SHIPPING and slowly at that. It's a new company, a new line, a new game, new employees, etc... There is a learning curve... And I can tell you AP is wildly quality conscious. Joe Balcer, bless him, has been playing every game for 20 minutes before he approves it to go into a box to ship. So, the slow roll out is first expected, and second appreciated - we all would rather have a game that's perfect shipping than one rushed with issues.

If you want to call around and get bullshitted with fake dates you'll get told to make a sale go ahead. I do not play games with my customers nor potential customers. I will not be unethical and sell a game early to a new customer to make a new sale while my loyal early buyers sit and wait - so whoever is telling you they can get you a game next week while there are 100s waiting from every distributor for months is either lying to you or might get terminated as a distributor if they get caught doing that line jumping garbage. The 'I can get you a game next week' as was told to me today came from somebody that IS NOT EVEN A DISTRIBUTOR for AP. So take it for what it's worth - it's BS. I can tell you NOBODY has allotments planned out more than a week or knows what they are getting when at this early point - they are just starting to ship to customers after a run of early distributor games and test games for locations. I got an email Tuesday 'we have 5 games for you Wednesday' - that's when I knew I was getting something off the line - a day or days before. They aren't too confident on how many can go out each day just yet so they are just giving them to us as they can when they are done. That will ramp up to faster production and higher confidence soon. Customers are in line. And I am in line with AP. They are doing things extremely fairly, as I am.

I can tell you I am one of AP's largest distributors. Here's how it works... If I have say 15% of AP's orders and they make 100 games in a month they are probably assigning about 15 games to me. Someone who ordered 5% of what has been ordered will get about 5. I get asked 'what's my place in line' frequently and I explain to people it's irrelevant for the above reason. Distributors do not get same allotment numbers so # 4 with one guy could be same as #15 with another. The idea is for the company to try to get product to every distributor in a manner so they are hopefully getting to customers who ordered around the same time frame across all distributors... It's an imperfect science, but a lot of thought goes into it so it is as fair and equitable to both the distributors and to the customers as possible.

Do people try to buck the system ? Sure... I once had a guy on DI come to me when they started shipping after 6 months of preorder with this line 'How much extra can I pay to get my game now'... I told him nothing cause it won't happen. He still did order from me, then later cancelled when he got one earlier, probably by stealing someone else's spot in line from a distributor who was less than ethical and felt a few hundred bucks was worth screwing his earlier customers. A few extra bucks or one sale is not worth the reputation I've build for years. I'm not your guy for that. Rest assured guys like that will not be the guys answering the phone on a weekend, texting you during their family dinner to answer your questions, or helping you with service issues, they are motivated by $ only and when they have it their motivation to you is over. That's just a general comment and that said, AP for the most part has a really small but top quality team of distributors - they didn't appoint just anyone, they did their homework.

So please everyone be patient... all the games are coming... We all love you are excited, we are too... But you can't see 10 people post on Pinside they got their game and think 1000 have shipped... Chances are 10 shipped. I can tell you the team at AP is so passionate about what they are doing - from Dhaval down to Joe Balcer and Jim Thorton in design and production, to Josh in programming, to Ryan in marketing - these guys CARE, period, it's all I've seen from any of them from the start. They want the best game they can make, filled with the most fun stuff they can put in it, built with quality, and supported after the sale... And they did that at a $ 7,000 price point Houdini is a stuffed / blinged out LE model for a Pro/Premium price... It's a great game and a better value. Let them do the good stuff they do, they won't rush it, and they will get faster, and soon everyone will have their game. ...and everyone will live happily every after... : )

Joe Newhart
[email protected]
570-357-0042

#2361 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I don't remember exactly... maybe September??? The list at my distributor wasn't very deep at that time. I still wasn't sure Houdini was the way to go. I almost went with TNA. Still want that TNA but Houdini was too much of a dream theme for me and packed a lot in for the money. When I finally got to play a Houdini I was very happy with my decision to reserve a spot.
I certainly feel your pain if you've waited longer than me! I like my dealer so if his pre-order list was already lengthy I still would have stuck with him.

No worries was just curious...enjoy it!

#2362 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Come on guys, both of you commenting here have gotten updates from me by email or texts whenever asked, immediately. I know you are excited to get your game and I appreciate that, but there is no news to report - they do not make 1000 games a day and fulfill every order on the first day of production. This game went on sale in April, and one of you ordered in June, and the other ordered in October. Unfortunately the fact is people ordered before you. AND they JUST STARTED SHIPPING and slowly at that. It's a new company, a new line, a new game, new employees, etc... There is a learning curve... And I can tell you AP is wildly quality conscious. Joe Balcer, bless him, has been playing every game for 20 minutes before he approves it to go into a box to ship. So, the slow roll out is first expected, and second appreciated - we all would rather have a game that's perfect shipping than one rushed with issues.
If you want to call around and get bullshitted with fake dates you'll get told to make a sale go ahead. I do not play games with my customers nor potential customers. I will not be unethical and sell a game early to a new customer to make a new sale while my loyal early buyers sit and wait - so whoever is telling you they can get you a game next week while there are 100s waiting from every distributor for months is either lying to you or might get terminated as a distributor if they get caught doing that line jumping garbage. The 'I can get you a game next week' as was told to me today came from somebody that IS NOT EVEN A DISTRIBUTOR for AP. So take it for what it's worth - it's BS. I can tell you NOBODY has allotments planned out more than a week or knows what they are getting when at this early point - they are just starting to ship to customers after a run of early distributor games and test games for locations. I got an email Tuesday 'we have 5 games for you Wednesday' - that's when I knew I was getting something off the line - a day or days before. They aren't too confident on how many can go out each day just yet so they are just giving them to us as they can when they are done. That will ramp up to faster production and higher confidence soon. Customers are in line. And I am in line with AP. They are doing things extremely fairly, as I am.
I can tell you I am one of AP's largest distributors. Here's how it works... If I have say 15% of AP's orders and they make 100 games in a month they are probably assigning about 15 games to me. Someone who ordered 5% of what has been ordered will get about 5. I get asked 'what's my place in line' frequently and I explain to people it's irrelevant for the above reason. Distributors do not get same allotment numbers so # 4 with one guy could be same as #15 with another. The idea is for the company to try to get product to every distributor in a manner so they are hopefully getting to customers who ordered around the same time frame across all distributors... It's an imperfect science, but a lot of thought goes into it so it is as fair and equitable to both the distributors and to the customers as possible.
Do people try to buck the system ? Sure... I once had a guy on DI come to me when they started shipping after 6 months of preorder with this line 'How much extra can I pay to get my game now'... I told him nothing cause it won't happen. He still did order from me, then later cancelled when he got one earlier, probably by stealing someone else's spot in line from a distributor who was less than ethical and felt a few hundred bucks was worth screwing his earlier customers. A few extra bucks or one sale is not worth the reputation I've build for years. I'm not your guy for that. Rest assured guys like that will not be the guys answering the phone on a weekend, texting you during their family dinner to answer your questions, or helping you with service issues, they are motivated by $ only and when they have it their motivation to you is over. That's just a general comment and that said, AP for the most part has a really small but top quality team of distributors - they didn't appoint just anyone, they did their homework.
So please everyone be patient... all the games are coming... We all love you are excited, we are too... But you can't see 10 people post on Pinside they got their game and think 1000 have shipped... Chances are 10 shipped. I can tell you the team at AP is so passionate about what they are doing - from Dhaval down to Joe Balcer and Jim Thorton in design and production, to Josh in programming, to Ryan in marketing - these guys CARE, period, it's all I've seen from any of them from the start. They want the best game they can make, filled with the most fun stuff they can put in it, built with quality, and supported after the sale... And they did that at a $ 7,000 price point Houdini is a stuffed / blinged out LE model for a Pro/Premium price... It's a great game and a better value. Let them do the good stuff they do, they won't rush it, and they will get faster, and soon everyone will have their game. ...and everyone will live happily every after... : )
Joe Newhart
[email protected]
570-357-0042

It's all good, Joe - nobody's trashing you. My comment you quoted there wasn't even meant to be negative. I should have written "I want to support Joe because I appreciate what he does for the shows I've attended (York, Allentown) and he walks the walk"

We're just excited to some day get these games - and I can only speak for myself - I've not bought NIB before, so this is all new to me.

#2363 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's all good, Joe - nobody's trashing you. We're just excited to some day get these games - and I can only speak for myself - I've not bought NIB before, so this is all new to me.

I'm always available and have answered every email from you in record time... Any questions on status... just ask ! Happy to tell you what I know - I talk to someone at AP probably just about every day lately ! Thanks Rob !

#2364 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I'm always available and have answered every email from you in record time... Any questions on status... just ask ! Happy to tell you what I know - I talk to someone at AP probably just about every day lately ! Thanks Rob !

Thanks so much! Hope we're good; I appreciate the info! Modded my previous comment for clarification

#2365 6 years ago

Joe, that was excellent. I love it when a manufacturer or distributor comes on Pinside and speaks truth but backs it up with facts and information that we can all understand. I love this thread because of Rosh and I’m very impressed with your post.

#2366 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Joe, that was excellent. I love it when a manufacturer or distributor comes on Pinside and speaks truth but backs it up with facts and information that we can all understand. I love this thread because of Rosh and I’m very impressed with your post.

I just wanted to get the info out that all this order of who gets what is very regimented with not just AP but every company. You are in line, we are in line, and we all want it done fairly. I just felt an explanation would be helpful.. We all get there's a lot of angst and anticipation at this stage... We expect it... We see people wait for 6 months patiently then when the first game ships everyone gets 'excited'... We love that, but we also need to be realistic... I learned early on to not 'tease' or guess dates even if I wasn't trying to be untruthful, people take what you say as gold, even if it's a guess... I personally prefer to do these sort of lengthy explanations to customers so I am transparent and they understand the process vs just being told '2 months, it's coming'. The truth right now is no distributor unless you're next on their list has a firm handle on when we are getting what... I get mad when I hear 'I can get you a game next week' I know it's BS, upsets customers who are waiting their turn, and it makes us all look bad. We can guess timeframes, but the process is JUST starting and the team at AP will get there soon where they can tell me 'you've got 10 coming in the next 30 days' or whatever and then we can go to our customers with firm answers. It's just still early is all and the reality is not many have shipped in the whole scheme of things, and for good reasons mentioned above. I can tell you what happens having lived through WOZ, the Hobbit, and other roll outs that took a long time - in a few weeks, or months you'll have your game and the few weeks or months you waited and were anxious will be a distant memory and all we'll be talking about is gameplay, how to complete modes, how to backhand this shot or that shot, somebody got to the wizard mode, etc.. Have fun, be nice, these guys will deliver - nobody wants your game in your basement more than AP and your distributor ! : )
Joe

#2367 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I just wanted to get the info out that all this order of who gets what is very regimented with not just AP but every company. You are in line, we are in line, and we all want it done fairly. I just felt an explanation would be helpful.. We all get there's a lot of angst and anticipation at this stage... We expect it... We see people wait for 6 months patiently then when the first game ships everyone gets 'excited'... We love that, but we also need to be realistic... I learned early on to not 'tease' or guess dates even if I wasn't trying to be untruthful, people take what you say as gold, even if it's a guess... I personally prefer to do these sort of lengthy explanations to customers so I am transparent and they understand the process vs just being told '2 months, it's coming'. The truth right now is no distributor unless you're next on their list has a firm handle on when we are getting what... I get mad when I hear 'I can get you a game next week' I know it's BS, upsets customers who are waiting their turn, and it makes us all look bad. We can guess timeframes, but the process is JUST starting and the team at AP will get there soon where they can tell me 'you've got 10 coming in the next 30 days' or whatever and then we can go to our customers with firm answers. It's just still early is all and the reality is not many have shipped in the whole scheme of things, and for good reasons mentioned above. I can tell you what happens having lived through WOZ, the Hobbit, and other roll outs that took a long time - in a few weeks, or months you'll have your game and the few weeks or months you waited and were anxious will be a distant memory and all we'll be talking about is gameplay, how to complete modes, how to backhand this shot or that shot, somebody got to the wizard mode, etc.. Have fun, be nice, these guys will deliver - nobody wants your game in your basement more than AP and your distributor ! : )
Joe

Bravo Joe, now wheres my game? lolol Next your going to tell me theres no Santa! By your tone I suspect your day at the CPA wasn't fun. All good and do as always appreciate the update. Don't worry we still love you ; )

#2368 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Bravo Joe, now wheres my game? lolol Next your going to tell me theres no Santa! By your tone I suspect your day at the CPA wasn't fun. All good and do as always appreciate the update. Don't worry we still love you ; )

Richie Wrench is still the king - he doesn't give a shit when he gets his game though - he just wants everything different than what the game is announced as ! He's a special kind of crazy ! : )

#2369 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Richie Wrench is still the king - he doesn't give a shit when he gets his game though - he just wants everything different than what the game is announced as ! He's a special kind of crazy ! : )

Granted I have read some of his posts, I'm Glad he only has Your phone number. lol Take this for what its worth, I actually appreciate how high strung (in a good way) you get about your business and how you safe guard your reputation. It shows you give a crap! Love it. Now about that coin door color on my POTC CE..... Richie said I need help him persuade you lol.

#2370 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Granted I have read some of his posts, I'm Glad he only has Your phone number. lol Take this for what its worth, I actually appreciate how high strung (in a good way) you get about your business and how you safe guard your reputation. It shows you give a crap! Love it. Now about that coin door color on my POTC CE..... Richie said I need help him persuade you lol.

My wife has another word for my 'high strung'-ness... Ya I care - I work so hard to always do the right thing, never want an impression otherwise. Can we not talk about Richie Wrench anymore - he's been quiet lately and he's like Candyman, you mention his name 3 times in a thread and all of a sudden he's texting you at 2am telling you the ground wire braid should be painted gold on his game or he's going to lose his mind.

#2371 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Joe

As a fellow AP Dist. and others. What he is saying is true as far as the build quality, making sure games are right before they are boxed, and the I can get it to you next week is BS. Lots of us distributors get calls and email's everyday about availability of games. We get the, this guy says this and this says that BS. I can tell you that part of the team there (Joe, Jim, Brian, and of Course Ryan) have become my friends over the years and are no bull shit in quality, or spending and extra $$ if something needed improvement with the first test games. Fellas I seen this game when it was a piece of wood and just a catapult and can tell you not as just a dist., but as a player this is a hit for there first game.
The bottom line is there are only so many hand picked distributors out there to buy from, they chose us because they know we will support AP and our customers.

Have a great day and happy flipping.
See you at shows.

Pincades
AP Dist.

Jesse T.

#2372 6 years ago

PinballSTAR Joe is the Best
He will always give you the real deal and is quick to respond...
Buy in confidence with Joe for sure!!

#2373 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I told him nothing cause it won't happen. He still did order from me, then later cancelled when he got one earlier, probably by stealing someone else's spot in line from a distributor who was less than ethical and felt a few hundred bucks was worth screwing his earlier customers. A few extra bucks or one sale is not worth the reputation I've build for years. I'm not your guy for that.

PinballSTAR definitely the man. He has earned my business thru the years and I hassle him all the time, not once has he ever not taken the time to help and/or explain things in detail as can be seen in the posts above. Good and ethical business practice in this industry will put you on top most every time and glad there are still people out there that care about their reputation and customers like Joe.

Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Can we not talk about Richie Wrench anymore - he's been quiet lately and he's like Candyman, you mention his name 3 times in a thread and all of a sudden he's texting you at 2am telling you the ground wire braid should be painted gold on his game or he's going to lose his mind.

It's 5 times, don't worry.

Richie Wrench...Rich

#2374 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

pinballstar definitely the man. He has earned my business thru the years and I hassle him all the time, not once has he ever not taken the time to help and/or explain things in detail as can be seen in the posts above. Good and ethical business practice in this industry will put you on top most every time and glad there are still people out there that care about their reputation and customers like Joe.

Richie Wrench...Rich

Well Richie's special cause he was texting me at 3am and it only took 3 times saying his name to conjure up his spirit ! (Thanks Bryan !)

All good guys... let's talk about Houdini gameplay, rules, etc... not the wait list and distributor stuff ! That's boring !

#2375 6 years ago

Man, I really respect posts like this. Makes me want to become a first time customer with you.

I think everyone is just so eager to get something because of all the "WTF???" this hobby has had lately. Played Predator yet? Nope. Big Lebowski? Nope. Alien? Nope. RAZA? Nope. All smoke screens/didn't happen/something blew up in someone's face and it all went to hell situations.

AP shows up, and we were all skeptical. It seemed too good to be true to have a new manufacturer show up nearly out of thin air promising a game like this, but it happened, and I think we're over the gunshy "man...I don't want to get screwed..." vibe. Now people see that this game is really happening, and everyone's crazy excited to finally have something new in the community that isn't a remake (not saying those are bad, I am happy to see them, but Houdini is an original theme vs a 20 year old theme now making the rounds).

Now the problem is supply is silly low, and that will change with time. But you know how this community is: we have to have it yesterday.

No, we don't. Patience is key. You know how many times I've even got to play a Houdini? One - next week at TPF 2018 - have not touched a single one since it started making the rounds last year.

And I can tell it is worth the wait. Looking forward to finally seeing one face-to-translite next week.

#2376 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

All good guys... let's talk about Houdini gameplay, rules, etc... not the wait list and distributor stuff ! That's boring !

I can't cause my distributor won't get me my game......

How about Magic Glass anyone seen it in person yet?

#2377 6 years ago

All this whining is funny!!! If this is your first NIB buy,then chill out!!Those of us who have waited for nib pins to arrive know this drill!! It WILL happen!!The last one was our B66! Took forever!!I've been waiting for three years for "The Beatles"!

#2378 6 years ago

You'll never see a Beatles pin. The music rights are owned by Sony ATV and Paul McCartney has been trying to get them back for years. This looks hopeful for 2018 but do you really think if he gets back the rights the first thing he would do is license some songs for a pinball?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jul/04/beatles-song-rights-dispute-paul-mccartney-and-sony-atv-work-it-out

Quoted from hawkmoon:

All this whining is funny!!! If this is your first NIB buy,then chill out!!Those of us who have waited for nib pins to arrive know this drill!! It WILL happen!!The last one was our B66! Took forever!!I've been waiting for three years for "The Beatles"!

#2379 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

next week at TPF 2018

We should have four at the show, so lines won't be like they were last year.

Quoted from bemmett:

We are hopeful to have some of new version of magic glass on a couple of the games at TPF. Have not gotten confirmation. I believe they will then become available shortly after that.

Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Joe Balcer, bless him, has been playing every game for 20 minutes before he approves it to go into a box to ship.

Joe does not spend 20 minutes playing the machine, Joe (or Jim or Barry) spend way, way more than 20 minutes going over the machines, adjusting and tweaking the flat rails and ball guides to be sure the ball flows correctly to the flippers, adjusting the coil strength, reviewing wiring, checking switches and overall inspection. Then they will typically run though a few of the modes to confirm other things are right. It is a far more thorough check then just playing the machine. Not saying they will never miss something but as you have seen, there have been pretty few issues on the games that have shipped.

#2380 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Joe does not spend 20 minutes playing the machine, Joe (or Jim or Barry) spend way, way more than 20 minutes going over the machines, adjusting and tweaking the flat rails and ball guides to be sure the ball flows correctly to the flippers, adjusting the coil strength, reviewing wiring, checking switches and overall inspection. Then they will typically run though a few of the modes to confirm other things are right. It is a far more thorough check then just playing the machine. Not saying they will never miss something but as you have seen, there have been pretty few issues on the games that have shipped.

THIS ^ and build quality are one of the many reasons why I've put money down on Houdini.

#2381 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We should have four at the show, so lines won't be like they were last year.

We are hopeful to have some of new version of magic glass on a couple of the games at TPF. Have not gotten confirmation. I believe they will then become available shortly after that.

This is real QC! Can’t wait to get one!

#2382 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

wonka i see what you did (resized).jpgwonka i see what you did (resized).jpg

#2383 6 years ago

I played Houdini for the first time at LAX...I had every intention of ordering a JJP Pirates and placed an order with Larry at Flip-n-Out for a Houdini instead...Pirates will have to wait. I saw Houdini for the first time at last year's TPF but didn't get a chance to play it due to the long lines...I put several games on it during LAX...all I can say is WOW!. I am anxious to get my new Machine but understand the process. Looking at the Pinside ratings for this machines I am surprised to find it in the 40's...I am sure that will change as more machines make their way into the hands of the players. Good luck to all with their new Houdini's and I hope you don't have to wait much longer...

#2384 6 years ago

Well, based on some of the preceding comments I'd have to say:

"I don't always buy NIB pinball machines but when I do ... I would go with PinballSTAR Joe"!

I like the upfront business honesty and the importance he seems to put on his reputation. That's the kind of salesman I like to deal with - and I would pay more for that experience.

#2385 6 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Well, based on some of the preceding comments I'd have to say:
"I don't always buy NIB pinball machines but when I do ... I would go with PinballSTAR Joe"!
I like the upfront business honesty and the importance he seems to put on his reputation. That's the kind of salesman I like to deal with - and I would pay more for that experience.

I agree. I put my money where my mouth (and a bit of my foot) is and ordered a DILE from Joe last night. I’d set aside the cash weeks ago and never pulled the trigger, so now, done.

#2386 6 years ago

I do like the way spooky gives you your game # shortly after you order - direct or via a distributor. They don’t ship in strict order, but it does give you an idea of where you are in the queue.

#2387 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

HI ALL -- DID SOMEONE SAY MY NAME????

#2388 6 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

HI ALL -- DID SOMEONE SAY MY NAME????

Did you order a Houdini Richie?

#2389 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

pinballstar definitely the man. He has earned my business thru the years and I hassle him all the time, not once has he ever not taken the time to help and/or explain things in detail as can be seen in the posts above. Good and ethical business practice in this industry will put you on top most every time and glad there are still people out there that care about their reputation and customers like Joe.

Richie Wrench...Rich

I just got this twitch in my eye and it was just constantly blinking and I was like -- Is someone talking about me and sure enough I heard my name at least three times and found you Good Folks here talking about a great game for a good price. I am looking forward to playing this game for the first time at TPF and I of course love JOE -- He is such a special man.

I do have his number and I just find that emails are just not ....well ... Just not direct enough for me --

There is nothing like blowing someones phone up at 3AM or 4AM and just saying Hi and talk about my passion or what maybe we could get on the next game.

The only weird thing is that he does not reply back right away -- OH, DONT WORRY....He does reply back sometimes....But Yes, It all in fun.

Does this game have an option on powdercoating of the doors?

#2390 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Did you order a Houdini Richie?

Going to check it out at the TPF

#2391 6 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

Going to check it out at the TPF

Going to do some reading up on the game tonight and checking out this post and reading all the comments tonight -- I am thinking about it.

#2392 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Richie Wrench...Rich

5 Times will do it for sure -- Sorry I was late.

#2393 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Joe Newhart
[email protected]
570-357-0042

Well said @pinballSTAR....now ill let you pick a client that deserves a set of houdini decals.....lets keep it civil people...send me a pm

#2394 6 years ago

I played Houdini last week on location and got the #2 high score, however only the grand champion score is ever shown in attract mode. Weird.
I enjoyed it, and hopefully more sound effects will be coded later for hitting shots. There are times when you make a shot and there is no observable feedback. The part I thought was really cool was the chance to win back your drained ball. I much prefer that you have a set number of "flips" to hit all the shots vs the way WOZ gives you a timer countdown.

#2395 6 years ago

I got a inquiry about rules, so I grabbed some links to to different levels of info on it, and figured I would also post the info here to help new owners and those now able to play on location or those heading to TPF.

Below are three links, from high level to most detailed. I do have a more detailed rules doc from when I designed the ruleset, but it is out of date, I need to update that and get it out for those who want even more details on the different modes. Although between the this week in pinball write up and the SDTM video there is plenty of details. Also not in these are the details on the three mini-magician modes and the master magician mode. I'm working on the third mini-magician mode now, once that is complete I'll put together some info on all three.

A high level . . .

https://images.pinside.com/8/35/03/83503ae253ab36939683b09d4389bef61098fa04.pdf

more detailed (scroll down to 'rules and code'). . .
http://thisweekinpinball.com/houdini-deep-dive-overview-likes-dislikes-code/.

if you have not watched the SDTM video of the game walk through, you should check that out. The rules are covered starting at about 45 minutes in (get a cup of coffee first) . . .

#2396 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

however only the grand champion score is ever shown in attract mode. Weird.

All high scores will show in attract, however, if they are a single 'part' of attract, so if you hit flippers to move it will move you to the next section, not the next high score, so once you see 'Grand Champion' don't touch the flippers and it will go through all of the high score stuff.

Quoted from vicjw66:

I enjoyed it, and hopefully more sound effects will be coded later for hitting shots. There are times when you make a shot and there is no observable feedback.

Most shots do have a sound (if they are scoring points), but may be a little subtle, I'll continue to look at adding where they are missing and polishing those that exist.

Quoted from vicjw66:

The part I thought was really cool was the chance to win back your drained ball. I much prefer that you have a set number of "flips" to hit all the shots vs the way WOZ gives you a timer countdown

While the left outlane mode, Return from Beyond is flipper count based, the right outlane mode, Escape Death, is timed based. Flipper limit on that would not have worked as well since it they are not direct shots. That one tends to come up less often since it is both a little harder to earn and the ball does drain out the left about 50% more often than the right (depending on outlane post locations). Escape Death is also harder to complete than Return from Beyond.

#2397 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Well said pinballSTAR....now ill let you pick a client that deserves a set of houdini decals.....lets keep it civil people...send me a pm

Very cool indeed !!!

#2398 6 years ago

Rosh- Never heard or saw. Did you come up with a match sequences? Then future programming for a knocker?
THANKS

#2399 6 years ago

i noticed a little bit of wear in the shooter lane, for those of you who wants to protect your shooter lane, there's a shooter lane protector that fit almost perfectly. just need to trim the edge a little under the apron close to the metal bracket or not if you install it under the metal bracket, other than that it's a perfect fit.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4130

also added a metal protector on the right side of the shooter lane to protect the wood, can't remember where i got it (years ago), darker than brass like a chrome bronze fits the game perfectly.

cliffy on houdini (resized).JPGcliffy on houdini (resized).JPG
shooter lane protector (resized).JPGshooter lane protector (resized).JPG

#2400 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i noticed a little bit of wear in the shooter lane, for those of you who wants to protect your shooter lane, there's a shooter lane protector that fit almost perfectly. just need to trim the edge a little under the apron close to the metal bracket or not if you install it under the metal bracket, other than that it's a perfect fit.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4130
also added a metal protector on the right side of the shooter lane to protect the wood, can't remember where i got it (years ago), darker than brass like a chrome bronze fits the game perfectly.

It's going to need a full cliffy set, but as of the last time I checked, AP hadn't loaned cliff a Playfield to make a set of protectors yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/48?hl=per3per3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.