20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 297.
#2051 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

"Limited use"?! I guess this game really is tough! I don't remember the exact percentage, but in the old days games were designed to give a replay once every ? games. I'm sure it was about every 6 or 7 games.
You gotta give a little reward now and then or they walk away.

In the days of $7000-$10000 pins, match games are a little more rare.

#2052 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

"Limited use"?! I guess this game really is tough! I don't remember the exact percentage, but in the old days games were designed to give a replay once every ? games. I'm sure it was about every 6 or 7 games.
You gotta give a little reward now and then or they walk away.

Some games have fired it from time to time for non replay stuff. for a long time stern has had it as an add on.

#2053 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I was mostly talking about game play replays. Not the match.

#2054 6 years ago

Any idea of when games might be ready for export to Australia? I'm really looking forward to seeing and playing this.

#2055 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

...Obviously that [knocker] is one of the first things that gets cut from a BOM given the very limited use of it vs the cost of it. But I know some folks really like them.

When I build a pin of my own design (you've already seen my ideas : - ) I will start with the knocker and build the rest of the machine around it. "Oh, the rest of this stuff - playfield, backboard, theme, etc? They are there to support the knocker"

It will have something called "Bumpstock Mode(r)" where the knocker fires a bunch of times in rapid succession

#2056 6 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Any idea of when games might be ready for export to Australia? I'm really looking forward to seeing and playing this.

We here in Calif.are also on hold! waiting is part of it! let the operators work out the bugs,so when they hit homes,they will be "Magical"

#2057 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

the bugs,so when they hit homes,they will be "Magical"

All ready are Magical! Loving mine!

#2058 6 years ago

Helped a friend yesterday pick up Houdini #50 for his arcade(Robot City Games in Binghamton, NY). What a fantastic game! Heavy sonofabitch too.

There are a bunch more pictures here...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fdk6rdygRi2Sudbq1

BTW, the one picture that shows the glass being "fuzzy" is because the game was soooo cold from sitting in the FedEx truck, condensation formed "inside" the game. The hardest part of the whole pickup was waiting for the game to warm up. LOL.

0209181352a (resized).jpg0209181352a (resized).jpg
0209181437 (resized).jpg0209181437 (resized).jpg
0209181440a (resized).jpg0209181440a (resized).jpg
0209181443 (resized).jpg0209181443 (resized).jpg
0209181448 (resized).jpg0209181448 (resized).jpg
0209181450 (resized).jpg0209181450 (resized).jpg
0209181453a (resized).jpg0209181453a (resized).jpg
0209181456b (resized).jpg0209181456b (resized).jpg
0209181529b (resized).jpg0209181529b (resized).jpg

#2059 6 years ago

Okay, so everyone doesn't have to call their distributor, here's what I found out:

4-6 more weeks on the magic glass and shaker motor availability, no pricing yet.

Art blades just came in. No official pricing, but $95 shipped is being bandied about as the price.

#2060 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

yep.
back in the 70's we had ..
multiple dedicated specials on the playfield.
multiple point total replays.
and match game.

#2061 6 years ago

Wow,cool to hear!!! Thanks Vic!!!

#2062 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Hmm, it is a global pause that impacts timers for stage, movies, milkcan multiplier, and hurry ups, but I'll take a closer look. The primary exception is king of cards, which runs a timer and that was making the hurry up count down, even though you had no way to shoot it since the ball is held in the stage, that was a pain to deal with, but obviously needed to be done. In the case of the catapult, it is a flat 8 second pause, for a variety of reasons, although that starts at the upper vuk, so if the ball finds its way into the lower catapult some other way, that the pause would not occur, I'll put that on the list to look at.

I've narrowed it down to a couple of ideas, including my original concept. I'll probably get to it later this month or more likely March, the reason for which I will shed light on later.

Pretty late in the process we added an auxiliary board to the cabinet as a better way to wire in the shaker, as well as to handle flashing of the start button (which is not RGB LED so needed a different solution). We built that board to have extra capacity for other things/add-ons, and we already have one enhancement that will leverage that. Given the design, it can be used for a knocker, and once we have time to really look at that we will. We will likely create a kit for it (given wiring needs), and I will code for it (not like it is tough code to write). Obviously that is one of the first things that gets cut from a BOM given the very limited use of it vs the cost of it. But I know some folks really like them.

No doubt more can be done with the RGB, but also have to balance that with making them helpful/useful to the player. We all know there is a game or two that are using RGB in some 'colorful' ways, but it can result in you having no freaking clue what they are telling you.

I like the idea of the timer only being paused while the ball is in the pops if there is 5 seconds or less left, similar to the clock stopping in football the last 5 mins only when out of bounds. It can be really frustrating if you have 1 shot left to go in a mode and the timer runs out because it’s spent an unusual amount of time in the pops.

As far as the knocker, I like to see it used during gameplay. Seance for instance. A homage to TAF.

#2063 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

yep.
back in the 70's we had ..
multiple dedicated specials on the playfield.
multiple point total replays.
and match game.

We also had Charles Nelson Reilly. It was a different time.

#2064 6 years ago

Got to go play Houdini again today and got about a dozen more plays on it. Wasn't able to top my 1.3 million score from last time but had some good games. Probably the coolest thing was when all the GI went dark after what I think was a later stage of trunk multiball. There were some big 45k + jackpots and it got pretty insane! There really are a lot of modes and cool ideas on this pin and it would be a great pin to have at home due to the depth.

One thing I'm not that keen on is the insert lighting for the chain links. I'd much rather have them be either on or off as it's really hard to determine at a glance what intensity they are lit at. It just doesn't seem very intuitive the way it currently is. Minor complaint though... I'm loving this game more and more and really enjoy how tight yet satisfying the layout is!

#2065 6 years ago

Can’t wait to play in Texas this year. Hope to get one for my collection when they are available and in stock.

#2066 6 years ago

Got this Framed up today.

20180210_111322 (resized).jpg20180210_111322 (resized).jpg

#2067 6 years ago

It’s great that American Pinball appears to be getting these games out at a great clip, much faster than TNA and Spooky for example, but they all appear to be going on location. I only know of two in customers homes at this point. Does anyone in this thread have one in their home or could a distributor let us know when we can expect home use shipments?

#2068 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Got to go play Houdini again today and got about a dozen more plays on it. Wasn't able to top my 1.3 million score from last time but had some good games. Probably the coolest thing was when all the GI went dark after what I think was a later stage of trunk multiball. There were some big 45 million + jackpots and it got pretty insane! There really are a lot of modes and cool ideas on this pin and it would be a great pin to have at home due to the depth.
One thing I'm not that keen on is the insert lighting for the chain links. I'd much rather have them be either on or off as it's really hard to determine at a glance what intensity they are lit at. It just doesn't seem very intuitive the way it currently is. Minor complaint though... I'm loving this game more and more and really enjoy how tight yet satisfying the layout is!

Sure thats not a type-O? I don't think there are Any 45 Million jackpots in Houdini unless Josh hid some insane easter eggs in there I missed? To get a score of 1 million you are a pretty good player on this game!

#2069 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

It’s great that American Pinball appears to be getting these games out at a great clip, much faster than TNA and Spooky for example, but they all appear to be going on location. I only know of two in customers homes at this point. Does anyone in this thread have one in their home or could a distributor let us know when we can expect home use shipments?

Seems like a good plan to get awareness of the machine up first while also refining the machine for home users. Since most home users are going to want magic glass and/or shaker motors and those are 4-6 weeks out, I bet you won't see the home floodgates open until those are available from the factory. But that's just a guess.

#2070 6 years ago

Well I'll take mine now thank you! lol I can install a shaker in 10 minutes and a decal isn't much work really. Plus, being a cheap a$$ if I'm paying extra for glass I would like the one I paid for with the game so I can get that later unless I go the PinStadium route on this one also. Just need me some Houdini! lol At this rate I will have bought another one with all the dollars I put into the one at 257!

#2071 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Does anyone in this thread have one in their home

Mine is HUO ... And proudly the first in Canada ...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2072 6 years ago

transprtr4u I was actually counting yours and Zach’s as the two HUO machines that I was aware of.

#2073 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

transprtr4u I was actually counting yours and Zach’s as the two HUO machines that I was aware of.

So then his would be Only Home in Canada only! OHCU

#2074 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sure thats not a type-O? I don't think there are Any 45 Million jackpots in Houdini unless Josh hid some insane easter eggs in there I missed? To get a score of 1 million you are a pretty good player on this game!

Lol... Yep I meant 45 thousand. My score was around 300k and I entered trunk multiball and had a really good multiball where after a period of time the GI went completely dark making it tough to see. The guys I was playing with started shining their cellphone flashlights on the game which made it worse. By the time I was done with multiball my score was over 700k. I wish I had video because I wasn't completely sure of what I was doing as I was just trying to make my shots. When a game is as tight as Houdini is it takes extra concentration and I wasn't able to look up at the display often. I also couldn't here anything as this location is super loud! This particular game only 11 minutes but my 1.3M game was over 20.

#2075 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Seems like a good plan to get awareness of the machine up first while also refining the machine for home users. Since most home users are going to want magic glass and/or shaker motors and those are 4-6 weeks out, I bet you won't see the home floodgates open until those are available from the factory. But that's just a guess.

This makes sense to me. I definitely want the magic glass.

#2076 6 years ago

What exactly are we speaking of when they say "Magic Glass" P.D.I. or invisaglass,or the HD Glass Stern has???

#2077 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

What exactly are we speaking of when they say "Magic Glass" P.D.I. or invisaglass,or the HD Glass Stern has???

Something similar but it's their own product.

#2078 6 years ago

Played Houdini for the first time today and had lots of fun. There didn’t seem to be instant info, hope this is coming? I got to put my initials in for high score #3 and the only score I could get to show in attract mode was GC.

Put me down for team knocker. The most satisfying and possibly most iconic pinball sound, standard equipment on literally decades of games, a big part of what made me fall in love with pinball. Removing the knocker is penny wise and pound foolish IMO.

#2079 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Played Houdini for the first time today and had lots of fun. There didn’t seem to be instant info, hope this is coming? I got to put my initials in for high score #3 and the only score I could get to show in attract mode was GC.
Put me down for team knocker. The most satisfying and possibly most iconic pinball sound, standard equipment on literally decades of games, a big part of what made me fall in love with pinball. Removing the knocker is penny wise and pound foolish IMO.

There absolutely is an instant info feature in the game. Watch the SDTM tutorial videos to learn more and Great guys to boot. As for the knocker, doesn't seem like a huge issue to me. I thought most of the newer Stern titles simply use a software based Bing now vs the mechanical which wouldn't be hard for Josh man to code. He's done everything else to perfection.

#2080 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Where did you play at?

#2081 6 years ago

Don't know where he played, but vuk has one..

#2082 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Status by holding in both flippers

#2083 6 years ago

I played it last night at a friends house. Very fun game! I might pick one up in a year or two after hype goes down a bit

#2084 6 years ago

Gameroom is getting a new floor next week and then I have to fill the spot or lose the space to some needless piece of decorative crap.........Houdini need to appear soon! lol

#2085 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Houdini need to appear soon! lol

Your close enough to the source... Wait for them to open in the morning... Lol

#2086 6 years ago

Guess what? I’m still loving this machine. Maybe even more than last week. Kuug is getting the bugs worked on. For those of you in on one, hang tight this thing is addictively satisfying.

#2087 6 years ago

I finally got to play a dozen games at the Pinball Lounge, here in Oviedo.

Exceptionally rewarding when hitting all the shots in Multiball.
Some of the Modes/illusions are a bitch, but for a shooter or HUO that makes it a winner.

A solid 9....we all have read why it plays good.

I jumped over to Guardians, and a completely different game.

It made Houdini feel like a Williams......which isnt bad, but I think between music and lights,
a Stern game like GOTG, or AS, entertains you to reach the goals, and Houdini CHALLENGES you
to reach the goals. Night and Day. Both winners for different reasons.

Lastly, IMO, to see this game, the first game from American Pinball, up and playing in one year.
with The brilliance of Rosh, is nothing short of a Gold Medal.

Nothing but respect, a stellar start, with my hopes for even more great things to come.

#2088 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I finally got to play a dozen games at the Pinball Lounge, here in Oviedo.
Exceptionally rewarding when hitting all the shots in Multiball.
Some of the Modes/illusions are a bitch, but for a shooter or HUO that makes it a winner.
A solid 9....we all have read why it plays good.
I jumped over to Guardians, and a completely different game.
It made Houdini feel like a Williams......which isnt bad, but I think between music and lights,
a Stern game like GOTG, or AS, entertains you to reach the goals, and Houdini CHALLENGES you
to reach the goals. Night and Day. Both winners for different reasons.
Lastly, IMO, to see this game, the first game from American Pinball, up and playing in one year.
with The brilliance of Rosh, is nothing short of a Gold Medal.
Nothing but respect, a stellar start, with my hopes for even more great things to come.

Excellent review and insight thanks. Getting Tired of watching #ZMeny play his though he is rather entertaining. lol Hurts even more since AP is only 10 minutes from my house and all I can do is look in the windows! Not that I do that...... (Josh, your car is Over the Line again!)

#2089 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Excellent review and insight thanks. Getting Tired of watching #ZMeny play his though he is rather entertaining. lol Hurts even more since AP is only 10 minutes from my house and all I can do is look in the windows! Not that I do that...... (Josh, your car is Over the Line again!)

I’m just praying that you guys are brainstorming some mod ideas for Houdini. I want a machine that the mod couple goes all out on!

#2090 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I’m just praying that you guys are brainstorming some mod ideas for Houdini. I want a machine that the mod couple goes all out on!

With everything packed in that game - what could they possibly add?

#2091 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

With everything packed in that game - what could they possibly add?

Always room for a mod couple mod or two or five. I have some ideas

#2092 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I’m just praying that you guys are brainstorming some mod ideas for Houdini...

pretty sure modders outhere will be working on it, myself included.

#2093 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

We are going to need shooter housing mod for this one! How about a color changing version?
Personally, keeping my mod secret, its a one off for me only, but large in scale.
But ill share this i found. Key fob, maybe cover for the AP sticker at top of head.

20180210_111412~2 (resized).jpg20180210_111412~2 (resized).jpg

#2094 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

We are going to need shooter housing mod for this one! How about a color changing version?
Personally, keeping my mod secret, its a one off for me only, but large in scale.
But ill share this i found. Key fob, maybe cover for the AP sticker at top of head.

yellow/amber to match the steampunk will be a perfect color.

i'm sure people will come up with the same ideas at some point.

#2095 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Excellent another one of the best modders out there!

#2096 6 years ago

Regarding the AP logo sticker that most dislike. While I agree it stands out a bit I thought it actually had a dual clever purpose. Looking at it locally it appeared to be a Puffy decal sticker which I assumed was for marketing but Also to act as a cushion to support the playfield when raised so as not to scratch the custom anodized/painted speaker housing. Similar to the rubber door stops Stern puts on the top corners of their machines recently. Is this correct or just an aSSumption. lol

#2097 6 years ago

We are.working on a marque, shooter plate and one other un named. Still waiting on my game like most of us.

#2098 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Regarding the AP logo sticker that most dislike. While I agree it stands out a bit I thought it actually had a dual clever purpose. Looking at it locally it appeared to be a Puffy decal sticker which I assumed was for marketing but Also to act as a cushion to support the playfield when raised so as not to scratch the custom anodized/painted speaker housing. Similar to the rubber door stops Stern puts on the top corners of their machines recently. Is this correct or just an aSSumption. lol

The rubber door stops on Stern’s games don’t line up with the playfield. They are too far apart.

#2099 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

The rubber door stops on Stern’s games don’t line up with the playfield. They are too far apart.

Ok. Now you have me curious. Why does Stern put those or the holes in there then? For shipping?

#2100 6 years ago

Got a little quiet here - I assume that means the latest shipped games went to people not on PS...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/42?hl=videogod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.