20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

959 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rdoyle1978. You are on page 3 of 4.
#7363 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

OK, I'm going to say that I am surprised that I am the only one with this sentiment about a pinball eating my balls after attaining wizard mode. Perhaps this is not the game for me.

Seriously though - after getting there, you will be exhausted. I got to SOTR on WOZ one time - and I was just every kind of done by then

#7376 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have a great solution to the game ending at the end:
Press Start.

LOL

#7389 5 years ago

Maybe try lowering the flipper angle 1/8", I did and the difference is like night and day.
Its a tiny change but makes the milkcan and scoop very accessible. The other shots are only slightly affected.
I can make the milkcan over and over again now.
Another popular adjustment is to move the "C" target for seance to the left 3/16"
Remove the target and widen or oblong the hole in its mounting bracket a bit, then reinstall it.
Now you can make the inner loop much easier.

Yes, do all this. The inner loop is tough, but I can now backhand it pretty consistently and almost always can hit it on a return from the ramp. I did move that target (I just bent mine over a bit, it did not need to be unscrewed), and pretty much have everything on factory coil settings now.

Moving the flippers down a touch is a major, important, change.

The ramp is definitely hard to get the timing on!

#7398 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

So I had a league night yesterday. Also Houdini was in the lineup.
And regardless Houdini was tweaked and had a variac for constant power the game had not enough power on the coils.
Ball one it was ok and all worked flawless but the next ball all horrible - It was not possible to shoot at the theater or up the ramp.
The people were very annoyed at some point... That's a pity, as it's a great device, but it's no fun without power on your Coils.
I hope the powersupplyfix for us european customers is ready to ship to our Distributors, so that we can enjoy this game!

Why don’t you have them increase the coil settings?

#7401 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

I also increased the coil settings first, but the coilstrength has changed significantly during each ball.
And I don't want to adjust the coils every 5 minutes...

Got it, no that obviously wouldn't work..

Have you heard at all why there's no European-voltage solution for this?

1 week later
#7470 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Nice write up and install.
For those not as mechanically/electrically inclined, they should be able to use a smart outlet strip which turns on other outlets when the pin is turned on. Haven't tried the one posted in the pic. Plug Houdini in the control outlet, then plug the topper into a switched outlet. [quoted image]

I’ve started doing this on (mostly older, coincidentally) games I’m adding a lot of stuff to. My TZ has plasma pop bumpers, a special LCD DMD, lit speaker panel and a couple other small things. It’s a LOT, but I know not everybody likes all this stuff, so this makes them incredibly simple to remove.

#7509 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The 18.12.12 release is now available for all to enjoy.
https://www.american-pinball.com/support/updates/
A ton of improvements and fixes in this release. If you were on one of the test releases you will want to update to this. Below are the release notes, possible I missed a few items along the way.
New — adjustment for right lock if it is having trouble releasing the ball to the scoop or if two balls are being released. The double release can occur if the machine is set very steep. This adjustment can also be used if you find that sometimes the ball does not feed to the scoop from the subway every time. If you need guidance on adjusting this, contact support.
New — high score will automatically exit after 30 seconds of no activity
Modified — The “Encore bonus”, awarded for performing all stage modes, now requires a shot to the stage, after the last stage mode ends, to collect the bonus. Added lights and sounds to the sequence.
Modified — adding a player now shows a score of 0 vs score being blank
Modified — elephant animations
Modified — pricing schemes
Modified — light show improvements throughout
Modified — pressing start during match sequence will start a new game, assuming credits or free play
Modified — bonus sequence wraps up faster on flipper escape
Modified — hit both flippers in attract will go to last scores screen
Modified — playfield lights turn on quicker after a trunk throw
Modified — various animation tweaks
Modified — Jail escapes will award at least 5K if completed
Modified — Trunk MB will now re-light jackpots once the ball reaches the VUK when super jackpot is lit, vs waiting until the super was awarded
Modified — the timer will no longer pause when the ball is going through catapult sequence if a multiball is active
Modified — Trunk Multiball super jackpot will be awarded even if ball misses both trunk and upper catapult
Modified — sequence of reporting a mission completion, extra ball and Houdini letter being earned when all three occur at the same time
Modified — Houdini letter voice calls
Modified — handling of Houdini letter for stage modes that end by draining
Fixed — In secret missions, behavior of lamps when it would show the next shot, when the previous shot was not fully completed.
Fixed — bug in Master Magician that could result in a reboot
Fixed — bug in master magician where it would both prompt for initials and continue on in game play for the last player, in certain multiplayer scenarios.
Fixed — Bullet catch not properly diverting the ball to trunk in some scenarios
Fixed — issue where the scoop would sometimes fire extra hard when doing things in service mode
Fixed — Elephant mode would score extra points on a ball drain
Fixed — issue with match not firing knocker for each match and in some cases not awarding more than one credit on multiple matches.
Fixed — issues with starting a new game by holding start button for a few seconds while a one player game is in progress. Also a setting added, that must be set to On for this feature to work, defaults to ‘Off’
Fixed — bug where count of multiplayer game in audits was being updated incorrectly, this change will correct existing data, but historical data may still not be 100% accurate
Fixed — after selecting an illusion during magicians choice, the displayed illusion would change if a flipper button was hit, the player would still get the selected illusion.
Fixed — Trunk MB sometimes being a four ball multiball when it should not be
Fixed — a trunk miss on Trunk MB super jackpot shot would put another ball into play
Fixed — bug that would crash system if king of cards timed out and no flipper was hit
Fixed — bug on Haldane where a spinner switch hit before the intro completed would cause a crash
Fixed — film master mystery was not awarding 10,000 points for starting it
Fixed —the ‘you have earned a Houdini letter’ would play more than once
Fixed — stage alley arrow being lit during séance MB for no reason
Fixed — fourth ball being put into play at start of séance if a ball was not ejecting cleanly from the scoop
Fixed — if a multiball was running and séance letters were hit the display would not properly show that, and if the spelling of séance was completed, any letters hit during the MB would not be displayed when the display would show séance multiball as being ready
Fixed — voice calls on ball save won’t repeat if the ball fails to make it to the shooter lane and falls back into the trough
Fixed — issues were master magician would start when other modes or items were still running. The player must finish any modes, escapes or multiballs that are in progress
Fixed — when earning a Houdini letter, sometimes only the letter would be seen, not the whole status screen
Fixed — return from beyond and escape death were allowing magic standup targets to still assist a paused stage or movie mode
Fixed — bug where visit to Escape Death would resume from where any previously failed attempt failed vs properly resetting things.
Fixed — bug where a left orbit shot was not awarding a hurry up when jail escapes set to easy
Fixed — lock 2 insert would not always turning off after MB runs
Fixed — bug where when in séance MB, shooting a ball to the trunk to start trunk MB, while also draining the other ball still in play, could result in the ball ending, not getting the trunk MB and not being able to get that MB for the rest of the game.
Fixed — bug where shots to the magic shop hole, depending on various game states and behavior of the subway switches, would put more than one ball back into play.
Fixed — bug on Master Mystery when using a flipper escape with halt sounds on flipper escape set to off, that could sometimes result in the mode not fully starting.

Holy bocce balls!

#7550 5 years ago
Quoted from JimFNB:

On the topic of Houdini on route, I’ll give a huge shout out to Mom’s Organic Market in College Park MD. Imamaculately maintained with great flippers, dialed in overall just right — even the trunk launch never failed in the many games I put on it.
Loved it, more than their late model Sterns, TNA, and DI. Made me go and buy my own Houdini for home.

Nice! I’ve only been to MOM’s once, but it was awesome - tucked behind the great grocery store was that huge room filled with great games old and new. At the time I went, Houdini was the ONLY game turned off, although I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it (and this despite the WOZ being completely off balance, tilted to the right.. lol)

Great place, had a blast!

#7553 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Has anyone thought about building a Nixie tube interactive topper? Prices on IN-14 tubes have gotten very reasonable and there's a bunch of open source software for Audrino available. Lots of off the shelf tube shields with sockets too. I think I'm going to get a clock kit and 3D print some kind of enclosure. You could potentially show high score, ball in play, etc but I don't have the software skills for that. I'm generally not a fan of most toppers, but in this case if it's interactive and matches the existing steampunk graphics, it would look awesome.

That is a brilliant idea! There are LED-based "Nixie" tubes (called "Lixie") that are both more durable, less prone to getting fried, and look remarkably close (although they aren't really "tubes")
https://www.ponoko.com/blog/maker-success-stories/led-nixie-clock-lixie-labs/
https://www.tindie.com/products/connornishijima/lixie-an-led-alternative-to-the-nixie-tube/

#7560 5 years ago
Quoted from Osro:

I'm not sure if this has been reported or not, but I'm running the new code and when I try to launch a new game during the match sequence it attempts to start a game, but immediately ends the game and then shows the final score as being 0 and having taken 0 time. Is anyone else seeing this? I can put in another quarter and then start a new game after this, but the machine eats the quarter of the game I started during the match sequence. Yes, we use quarters in my home game
Also, perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I liked the speed of the previous flipper escape on the bonus screen. All in all the update is great though I really appreciate the continued support and improvements on an already amazing game!
[quoted image]

I’ve not seen this. Could it be related to the use of coins? See if it happens on Free play

1 week later
#7651 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

The one guy was sort of objective but the other guy was a complete tool - the one Buffalo Pinball dude who said he flipped a ball or two on Houdini and immediately hated it and walked away. Complained he couldn’t hear the sound. Why are you reviewing pinball machines when you are too lazy to invest some serious time actually reviewing the various aspects of the game in an environment that is conducive to an objective review? Obviously he went into the experience not wanting to like Houdini.

This is a very common attitude - not sure if it’s more recent or not, but I have seen people who state up front they don’t like the game, play 2 or 3 games and get a great high score, then walk away sayin “eh”. I totally don’t get it. I do think it has something to do with the smoothness of the shots - Houdini certainly isn’t a “smooth shooter”, but to me, that lines up with the fan layout thing. Everybody’s entitled to their opinion!

#7655 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Opinions...yes. However, if you do a review, I would assume it is based on experience and a little bit of knowledge; honest objectivity if you will.

Agreed; I didn’t see that review but it sounds pretty jackass-y

#7661 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Houdini is a very unique pin that goes outside the box. The layout is completely different from anything else, that it just doesn't compare to any other title. The rules are incredible, as there are four different sectors to choose from & several different multiballs. Plus the art adds a dimension of that time period while adding to the allure of mystery & danger. Houdini is absolutely a top-tier pin that defines a change in the pinball industry. With the latest updated code & the lightning fast ongoing support, look no further folks Houdini is pinball at it's finest!

Well said. Ours isn’t going anywhere (although I do get tempted every once in a while since we have limited space). I expect this will eventually be both a highly regarded and rare game, as those
Missing out will finally catch up...

#7666 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I too continue to get the blank screen during magician.
I did hit a new mode, one that I had not seen before. It was all the jail escapes at once. Tons of fun. Has anyone else run across that mode before?
I was getting a bit of freak out toward the end of that mode. The stage door opened and a ball dribbled in, and it seem to get really confused for a bit.
It eventually straightened itself out, and all was well.
Continues to be an outstanding game.

Guys, post what version of the code you are on. Most released versions include this bug, where the MM mode goes all crazy.
LOTS of
Text
Flying by currently,
But I'm sure
This
Will
Be addressed

#7677 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Holy crap, that is a WALL of text. Definitely looks like the mode needs quite a bit more polish. That wall of text should be broken up into narration you activate as you finish each requirement, and it probably needs some specific prompts to remind you while in each step of the list.

I'm sure it will be - Rosh has stated numerous times that this mode hasn't really been finished yet. And obviously since the bug is still there, we will be getting further updates. This game has already had a ton of updates - the September (I think?) really took it to a new level

#7702 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Agreed on all counts. Shaker is great with the pop bumpers, vanishing elephant, and most all of the modes - it's pretty active. Knocker is really good too.

Totally agree - it is REALLY well integrated into the game, and so is the knocker

1 week later
#7729 5 years ago

I had a few short shots after installing the new power supply during seance.
Upping the catapult power a notch or 2 and rotating the catapult mech slightly, has solved it.
Now a short shot barely clears the lip of the trunk, but it goes in cleanly.
A long shot bounces off the lid and into the trunk.
But it never misses, ever.
Having the game ignore the catapult power settings is new.

After installing the power upgrade, mine has never missed one time. It hits squarely in the center of the trunk every time.

#7738 5 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I didn't know there was an adjustment on the new power supply. This is good to know in case I start having issues like you describe (so far my trunk shot has been 100% reliable since the upgrade).

I wonder if Josh could implement half steps on the coil strength for the catapult so you wouldn't have to adjust the power supply like that.

#7741 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

For me, the scoop could use some finer-tuning coil adjustment. Instead, I've been trying to bend the metal hood up a bit to get the ball to the right flipper more consistently.

Try doing the opposite - bending it a bit down and *lowering* the coil strength a touch. That worked for me -

#7750 5 years ago

My flipper return springs popped loose today again - this is the third time. Can somebody set me straight on how to bend those things so they won’t pop loose?

#7757 5 years ago

If the end loops are a bit open, I just close them up with fine needle nose pliers.
They end up wrapping around a little.
For problematic springs, I have 2 loops going through on the problem side. No way those come loose.
If the end has broken off. I just spiral the spring up a bit. Then bend it down.
A little tighter spring just makes the flipper respond faster.

Thanks guys.. you’d think I’d know how to do this properly by now... these springs had broken off before, I guess I didn’t give
Myself enough slack

#7758 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Just wanted to get an idea what the majority has their coil settings set to on the pops. I've had Houdini since September & have only been able to complete Handcuff Escape once. My coil settings was always on 17 throughout & the pops seemed lackluster weak. Last night I adjusted to 19 & that seemed too much. My Houdini is perfectly dialed in w/ the exception of this minor detail.

I adjusted mine a bit to make them more
Sensitive - they seemed a little lackluster at first one mine as well. Now they are like rockets!

#7764 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Handcuff mode requires x hits. It is a fair amount so is nothing to sneeze at. There may be a setting to adjust how many hits are required in the mode. Pretty sure I saw one once, but have left my setting alone. Sometimes I beat the mode, most times the mode wins but that is typical.

Yes there's an adjustment for this in the game settings. I dont think
The default number of settings is not super difficult IMO (for
This mode! Haha)

#7766 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

The default coil setting (green on the dashboard) for pops on my machine is 12. Sounds like default is higher on others' machines?

Which version are you on?

#7784 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I have a Houdini coming in February
How come guys love this game and some hate it ? I’m stoked to get it ?

Who knows, really. The shots are different than a lot of games, and that's turned people off. The "tight" shots get inside people's heads and they say it's too hard. I mean, it is hard, but not really more than any other game when you're first learning it. The shots aren't any more tight than any other game - some of the shots in Iron Maiden are WAY harder.

IMO the big reason is that the first couple of releases of code (and I'm talking way back here) weren't all that polished up, it took a while to get the game figured out as far as how to get it leveled, what coil settings, etc. and the game didn't play as well as it does now. You know... like EVERY other game. The initial JPoop stink probably didn't help, but I am not sure that really has anything to do with the final AP result.

#7791 5 years ago

Is there a 2" square of thin dead drop foam that would work?
Id like to try it if it exists.
I like the power of my flippers where they are right now. But, I do get my fair share of stage rejects from a solid fast moving ball.

The dead drop foam from Pinbits. I may have some in a box; I am going to try that. IT works WONDERS on Indiana Jones...

#7803 5 years ago

Is it like 1/8" thick? Regular dead drop is like 1/4" and it would be way to thick.

Yes it’s really thin. I used it to deaden the Indiana Jones mode home after removing the metal brace that causes all the legendary bounce-outs. The game is actually fun now!

#7804 5 years ago
Quoted from triggur:

I have no idea what happened tonight... a group of 4 leaguers were playing their game on software version 18.12.12. A series of problems manifested (sorry, I wasn't there at the time, so I'm working from anecdote here, being as clear as I can):
1) Player 1, ball 3 was in the middle of a (seance?) multiball, a ball wound up stuck in the trunk catapult, which didn't recognize it being there (the switch appears to work fine). The player then lost one of his two remaining balls naturally. He started a different multiball to see if it would return the captured ball into play, but it didn't so he drained the active balls deliberately to end the turn. Eventually the game ball searched and unstuck the trunk catapult's ball and he played that ball out.
2) A subsequent player had his flippers go dead in a multiball after one of them drained.
3) Eventually the game was over and player 1 entered his initials for a high score. Immediately after he finished, the game flashed a single blank score (picture below) as the last game, and they never got to write down their scores-- they're gone.
I dumped the logs but I have no idea what to make of what is apparently base64-encoded stuff?
Any help appreciated![quoted image]

#1 has definitely happened to me - yesterday, in fact. The game will recognize the ball there and shoot it to the trunk as if you locked it properly. However, that switch is really finicky, and you can sometimes have a ball land there but not actually trigger the switch .

I ended up bending it up a little bit so the ball catches on it more fully, and have never ever had a problem since. This isn’t a software issue

#2 I have also had this happen, as if the game lost track of one of the balls

and #3, no idea.

#7806 5 years ago

I have had this happen twice.
Its like the computer isnt fast enough to work through everything quickly enough and loses track or its not getting the data quick enough?

I’m fairly certain at least once this was more due to a switch not registering correctly. The left lock on my game (where the ball goes hitting the inner loop when lock is not lit) had some switches not registering consistently.

But at least one other time it seemed like how you describe above. I’m not certain

#7824 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Had a similar weird one with the latest code today. Waxed and buffed the playfield, so the ball was wild and had a bunch of airballs. I hit the trunk lane, it flipped the ball into the trunk and returned it as usual. Then not long after, I had an airball glance off the stage lock plastic and plop into the lower catapult. It did the animation and launched the ball into the trunk fine, letting it drop into the upper catapult, but the ball just sat in the upper catapult until ball search cleared it. It's like it didn't expect it to be there, so it didn't even check. Never had a problem with that switch before or since.
Definitely something's not right...

It’s the switch - just bend it up a touch and it will fire away. The catapult switch is touchy

#7831 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think this is likely because that switch has literally never failed before or since. The ball only got stuck there when it shouldn't have been there.

I'm pretty sure we're on the same code - I have had this happen, and the catapult does fire if a ball lands in there, even if it hasn't gone through the inner loop and up the VUK. I used to have issues with the catapult switch working in test but not consistently working in a normal game, which is why I'm still thinking it's the switch. Anyway test it out when you get a chance, just fire up the game and drop a ball down the little wireform into the catapult; it should still fire. glass off is safe, just don't get your hand in the way!

1 week later
#7862 5 years ago

I absolutely agree, Tech support from JJP is way beyond exceptional! The best in the business, hands down.
But trying to order parts however is ridiculous right now. Near impossible unless you win the lottery and someone actually answers the phone...ugh!
Before they got busy with multiple titles etc, they were awesome! But now its really tough to order parts.
They really have to make an online parts store that you can search by part number and get everything you need just like Marco or everyone else if they want to serve the public.
Or farm it out to Marco or Rick at PPS etc...

I have always heard that JJP is a horror show to order from - but I've placed 3 separate orders on the support ticket system, and every single one was responded to and I had parts shipped out within a few days. I'm just lucky?

#7871 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Having some weird problems. Fairly often. For example, during Bullet Catch, if the ball goes in the stage again...it just sits there until it times out. I think's because the stage curtain is not closing at times (it's open a lot). Is the curtain not closing the culprit? Seems to close at other times just fine.
Running the latest code.
Edit about 5 min later: And now the scoop is causing me grief too. Doesn't seem to know a ball is in there at times. Will run the switch test. Related?
Houdini is possessed tonight!
Edit 2: Switches, including stage and scoop, seem fine.

Check the left lock switches. That’s always what it is for me when this happens. I am getting pretty good at nailing that inner loop, and the balls come in FAST. Usually it seems like it knocks the switch out of alignment or the ball doesn’t quite catch the switch enough to trigger it. Frequently this happens with 2 balls locked, but the game still seems to get confused .

#7873 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I think I found the culprit...this sucker is suck in there and doesn't want to come out. Wonder if the servo is not working?
[quoted image]

Isn’t there a test for this in the menu?

#7875 5 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I'm not 100% sure but I think that ball is permanently mounted there. If my memory serves, it was supposed to be part of an illusion where the ball would appear at the stage and then disappear. The illusion was changed but the ball is still part of the stage assembly.

I am having trouble following this exactly but can confirm there is a ball permanently mounted inside the stage. It is welded to a post, like a captive ball. It does go up and down via a motor though, as you see occasionally during some of the stage modes.

#7899 5 years ago

One of the problems with the stage eject function was that the prototype didnt have a coined front edge on the stage mech hole.
Engineering added the coining I think to reduce bounceouts.
Coining the edge makes it difficult for the ball to roll out properly for the stage eject. You would have to get the stationary ball to raise much higher and a little bit more towards the front for it to work.
Or dremel off the coining and polish it down.
SDTM's could be handled by leveling or nudging.
Bounceouts are the biggest problem right now with the mech.
If you have flippers set to make the ramp properly they are too strong to stick the stage shots.
I think working on stage bounceouts and coming up with a solution would really enhance the game.

I’ll post a video, but my stage eject seems to work just fine - it rolls out the front as expected, and usually hits a pop bumper or otherwise rolls to the side eventually - I don’t think I’ve ever had it go SDTM. Could this be something to do with the pitch ?

#7905 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

To anyone that has installed the plastic protectors, those go on top of the plastics, correct? I swear I'd read someone say they went under, to prevent balls cracking up from underneath, but all of these seem fit for on top of the factory plastics.
And to anyone that's installed the Cliffy Side Rail protector, do you simply screw those two screws into the soft wood of the black side rail? That's what I've seen in a few videos. And does that line up with the protector installed just below it, the one that goes under the rail?
One more question too.... Do you pull off the adhesive backing for the rollover protectors? The one video I watched, the guy didn't, then later one's, he did.

They go under. The balls don’t typically crash directly on top of the plastics. Damage comes from hitting the edge

#7913 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I bought the set form Little Shop because they seemed to have more pieces than the alternatives out there. I have yet to install them or my Cliffy's. Whatever I find out I will post...please do the same. I'm kind of bummed the LSOG protectors don't stick out as you say, should have went others I guess.

That is very strange that they are not larger than the actual plastics, as is typical. LSOG knows what they are doing, I wonder what’s up with this?

#7917 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

the LSOG protectors are slightly larger but not consistantly. The oversize mounting holes does allow for some positioning

Aha...

#7996 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Looking at possibly purchasing a Houdini and would like to know what to look for? Any issues etc. Appreciate any insight. Apologies up front as I admit I'm too lazy to go back and read (Just under) 8k post

Power supply is the main thing, actually that’s pretty much it. You will have to do some work dialing the game in. Good luck! Love it!

#8000 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Speaking of which, that reminds me that the bug where you could "interrupt" the trunk opening by "canceling" it with both flippers over and over rapidly, causing the trunk lid to open and close rapidly (and usually block the ball) is fixed, but the accompanying sound effect can still be made to stutter repeatedly by "cancelling" rapidly with both flippers, even though you can't really cancel the throw. Basically once you're in the trunk throw, the flippers to cancel that should just be ignored completely so it doesn't stutter the sound effect.

I’ll have to try this out. I assume this is still happening with the 12.18.18 code?

I know Josh is working on Oktoberfest too.. but I sure hope some more
Updates are planned - don’t forget about Houdini guys!

1 week later
#8078 5 years ago

Hoping for a couple updates soon to iron out those few last
Missing animations ...

#8081 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Which are missing? We still need the MM mode black screen fix also.

I can't remember exactly, but I think there's one missing from the Disappearing Elephant mode, and I believe there's one other one. The Master Magician mode and Film Binge mode graphics are also still kinda rough. They don't affect gameplay, just not in the same style as the rest of the game.

#8084 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Very smart I should do the same. The one I am getting tomorrow doesn’t have the power fix and spending the credit on the topper would be great idea as I would like it as well. Thanks for the idea!

Make sure you try the game out before you pull the trigger on the power upgrade - it's a good idea, but not always required. I found it did keep games more consistent as I was playing for longer periods of time, but didn't really notice any issues unless I had multiple games or appliances (think fridge, dehumidifier) plugged into the same outlet. All 6 of my games are plugged into the same outlet, but I am obviously not playing them simultaneously.

#8086 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It seems like Stern is using multiple suppliers. Some machines or even specific RUNS of machines have soft playfields, but others are not bad at all. But in general, you'll have the best chance of getting a playfield that gets deep divots from modern Stern.

FWIW it’s really common on location. And they will eventually even out. I am not sure I’ve seen a lot of dimpling on JJP games but I also haven’t looked real close. Mine do not. The Sterns I’ve owned, and Houdini, yes. They go away, don’t flip out about it. (Haha see what i did there)

#8109 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Managed to get the game unloaded and in the house.
The game is triggering end of ball every time a ball drains even if ball save has engaged and saved the ball.
Looked under the PF and I don't see anything out of whack, disconnected etc.
Software is 18-12-12
Ideas?

Check the switches in the left lock, near the trunk. Check with your finger but then check with 3 balls one at a time. Make sure they are not engaged then trip each one with a ball in succession. They are super sensitive

then check all your trough optos. It’s not the software, I guarantee - had this same
Issue and It’s a switch.

#8127 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Umm my apologies all I had an Rdoyle moment
7 balls in the game and its uhh supposed to be 6

LOL

#8128 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I put in the scoop cliffy and since then the exit is even more inconsistent. Mine hits the top of the right sling more often than not at 6 and 7 power. 8 sometimes lands on the flipper, sometimes shoots down the middle. I yanked around the scoop hood and the steel rail, but nothing has lasting impact. So I just learned to play it where it lands.

I actually pushed my scoop hood -down- and lowered the eject setting, and it shoots out consistently every time now. AP has an adjustment listed on the website too, if you’ve not seen that. The scoop can also be pivoted to the left a bit as well

#8133 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Looks like I get to call AP up. I just updated from 18.4 something to the latest. Game said to restart after the update was complete so I did. On startup I get the AP splash screen, and then the display will keep flashing blue or a black command prompt that says automatic login on one line and then last login on the next, and it never does anything else.

Try the update again - remove the USB before you restart next time

#8135 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I found a photo from before I lifted the playfield for the first time two days after I unboxed Houdini. Seems the chip existed then, and when I lifted it minutes later, that's when it fell out.
I wonder if this damage was from shipping or left manufacturing like that? The box was in pretty good shape, and it wasn't tilted.
[quoted image]

THAT. SUCKS. One the other hand, at least it didnt' come from playing the game. I just had a piece chip out of my MB, and I just had to glue it back in.

#8139 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I guess I'm "happy" anything I did in getting familiar with this machine, didn't create it. But damage is damage..
What happened in your situation? I thought the clearcoat was supposed to make these rock hard and secure?

I'm going to contact Barry on friday directly, seems he's the guy who handles most issues like this. Hopefully he points me in a direction that works the best here?
I finally got this up and running, with most of my protectors in too! I hadn't played it for weeks, on that account. And doing the scoop protector finally had me notice it. I had the flake for so long, didn't see anything, and just hoped it was some random paint from the factory....
Will I risk further damage by playing it?

Well first, the MB is an original, new playfield though, and I had it cleared by Ron Kruzman about 2 years ago. The damage is 100% mine - I had one of those stupid wire ball guides pop out, and I was jamming it back in and... ugh. I guess I should have drilled it again? So not comparable to what you have - I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.

Hoping to get protectors on Houdini as soon as I get them from Cliff...

#8140 5 years ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

I have had mine since it was released, I actually switched from a JJP-POTC and moved to Houdini. Although I don't play it as much as some of other machines, I do still play it quite a bit. And I STILL don't have it dialed all the way in.
Playing this machine, has made me a better player. I purchased the PS upgrade a few weeks ago and still need to put that in. Have never had scoop or trunk issues, do feel the flippers are weak at times. But as I said still need to dial in the settings on this game that others have posted!
Still VERY satisfied with this machine, and definitely out of the "honeymoon" phase. LOL

PUT IT IN!! Only takes maybe 20 minutes, and it really does make the game feel more "complete"

#8143 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I have a question regarding buying a new Houdini it is new in box but not from a distributor it is from someone who took it as a trade.
I’m just wondering how everybody’s experience with American pinball has been in regards to issues warranty etc. etc.
I played the game a few times and I really enjoyed it. I know it is a tight shot game and hope in a home environment I will enjoy it more but what concerns me a little is issues with playfield etc. is that blown way out of portion or realistic and how does the company handle this I’m not sure this game will even have a warranty seeing it is not coming from a distributor even though it is brand new in the box. I was told it was just picked up from the factory so I’m assuming it will.
Thx for any input

I have not seen anyone need to replace their entire playfield - mine has no issues, and almost everyone else posting here has confirmed the same. As you see above, @wesman had some issues but it seems like those were more from shipping somehow, not playing the game.

AP is more present in these forums than any other manufacturer, by several orders of magnitude. Stern used to post here - that lasted about a day. Lloyd ( @ltg ) does tech support for JJP and is incredibly helpful but does not deal directly with warranty type stuff, and is remote from the main JJP office.

As far as AP though - @barryj is the MAIN support guy for AP - you can call him, email him, or PM him here. @rosh is the programmer of the game. Both of them post here regularly. It's out of control; I know I would not be able to put up with the nonsense, but they are here every day - and I believe Rosh is hard at work on Oktoberfest too!

#8147 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Wanted to say that after talking with AP got the game running again. The usb drive I was using died while it was updating it seems. The second i pulled out of the drawer was dead as well so had to go buy more.
I have the game at 6.2 degrees and I am gonna go to 6.5. Even with flippers at 23 each, they are just too powerful. Slings are fine, lower catapult I have dialed in. Upper catapult still don't have the power right on it. The flippers at 24 the ball would fly off the ramp.
Game itself is fun. Couple shots are tight, but I hit them when I want to most times. This game was routed and I have had to fix a few things, reinstall the post between the flippers. Think I will move the left outlane post back as it is in the top hole. Pop bumpers need to be made more sensitive still.
Game itself is fun, my only real gripe is that there are a number of shots that when lit do not seem to give feedback. The main ramp will often be lit, you hit it and the game registers it, but I have no idea why it was lit or what I got for shooting it. The 2x shot also seems to do this at times.

The main ramp is almost always lit - it’s a factor in your multiplier at the end of a ball. You’ll be told directly on screen or with a callout if it’s part of a mode shot.

#8156 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Is the shaker motor not that big a deal on this? I need to check, my game has sideblades and think it has the knocker. Did not look for the upgraded powersupply yet.

I REALLY like the use of the shaker in this game. Both that and the knocker are integrated in very creative ways to the game. For example, the shaker goes off when there’s this huge elephant walking into a box for one of the tricks. Stomp stomp stomp! Haha

The knocker also fires for the Bullet Catch which is really cool too.

IMO the shaker is a better add-on if you’re just going to do one.
There are some nice mods out there, but none are “must haves”.

#8159 5 years ago

Yep.all the prices are super competitive, no reason to get tricky

#8181 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Thanks for that info everyone. At $20 I'll grab it anyway certainly cheap enough and probably worth doing anyway

They really aren’t strictly necessary - but like you said, $20 ain’t too bad. Did you get that game set up yet?

#8204 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I regularly have a ball sit in a trough for a few seconds before the appropriate action and a few false drains, sometimes in multiball and a second to last ball drains and one is still in the subway ball ends.

The former occurs on mine as well, although I wouldn’t apply the term “regularly”. I play at least one or two games most days. The latter appears to happen once in a while - I can only think of one or two times. I pretty much am playing 1-player games

#8206 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

There is a bug where if a ball enters the magic shop hole less than a second after a ball drains, it can end the ball prematurely, this is fixed in the next release.

I am not totally sure what you are saying. If you drain a ball and there is a 4 to 5 second delay before end of ball takes place, it means the game thinks there is a missing ball and is waiting to see if it has turned up. If you are at at times getting an second ball, it likely means there is an intermittent switch issue, likely in the trough, the subway or the left lock area.

Interesting bug - id love to talk to you some time about how you diagnose these. Logs I’m sure, but Pinball is hard

#8221 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

rosh can film modes be started before the ball is shot either into the catapult or from the catapult as a catapult miss negates the film mode starting. And currently my catapult isn’t very accurate!

Inner loop shot starts film modes, not catapult - if lock is not lit, and a multi ball is not started, the film mode should still start. Actually I think you can start even during some multi balls

#8237 5 years ago

Compeletely understand that the film mode will start when you shoot the inner loop but my problem is when lock is lit and a lock is not secured through a catapult shot a film mode does not start then you have to reshoot the inner loop shot. I’m guess you could start the film mode either a before the catapult launches or b before the vuk shoots the ball across to the catapult. Times would have to be stopped or slightly elongated due to the ball still having to go around with the catapult but at least it’ll start every time and not be dependent on a successful catapult shot. That or I just fix my catapult.
I had a look at the catapult tonight had the glass off and bam 5 in a row. Glass back on shot right and short and in. Mildly frustrating!

That's crazy! Are you sure the catapult (or the ball) isn't somehow lightly grazing the glass?

#8240 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Who makes the best side blades for Houdini?
Wanted to get art rather than mirror on this title but would.like to see some pics of art blades installed to get a better feel. Post them if ya got them.

AP, uses actual cabinet/PF elements, plus a few surprises

#8244 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I installed the AP ones in mine and took the Playfield out to do so as it is SO close to the sides on this game. The whole process was pretty simple as long as you have a helper to pull and re-install the playfield. They are very thin compared to the Stern ones (that's the only other type I've ever done) but using the wet method (I put some stuff down to ensure water would not get onto the boards mounted on the left side of the cab) was a breeze to get them lined up properly. I would not install them without having the protectors to use when raising and lower the playfield as they are almost certain to get damaged without those. I've never been a big fan of side blades but these do really compliment the game very well.

Yes, wet method 10000% - they are pretty thin, not like the vinyl (or whatever that stuff is) that some of the other pinblade companies produce

#8251 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Barry is a great guy. If you see him at a show, chat with him. You'll be glad you did. He's been in the industry for some time.
LTG : )

Hear hear. He’s always been super helpful and is excited about the games, and to my tremendous shock, actually has stayed on Pinside despite.. well... Pinside being Pinside. Rosh too. Their enthusiasm has kept me engaged .. oh and also they put out a kick ass game!

#8266 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

These were very nerve wracking to install, and I used wet. These were much tougher than blades from tilt and pingraffix. I got some Middle Earth blades from a source in UK, and they were even tougher than API's and I ripped one.
By the way, it would be great to ID all the characters in the API blades. Some are mysteries to me. I like Lon Chaney's Phantom Red Death, obviously, and Nosferatu's shadow. And there are some famous magicians in there, including Mac King.

Nice catch seeing Mac King! That is a deep cut for sure. I would have loved to see somebody like Dai Vernon or Robert Houdin too

#8271 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

We love giving tours!
Call to arrange your tour, 847.893.6800

I will 100% do that next time we are in Chicago

#8272 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Agree, figured i am going to buy few items for my Houdini so why not buy the power supply, get the code and then order what I want. In the end I am getting the power supply or additional parts (however you want to look at it) for no cost.

Funny how regular people understand how this is an incredible customer service move on the part of AP.. and others just want to crap all over it. I mean I’ve seen worse thinking but that spin is definitely a head scratcher

#8310 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm always about. I wish I knew more about the game to help you.

On a regular PC, you hit the power button to turn the PC on. Games bypass this. As vireland just posted, it's likely a bios setting. No idea how you'd hook up a keyboard and access the bios settings.
Maybe email Gerry at Multimorphic for ideas ?

Hook up a usb keyboard and hit “delete” a bunch of times until it goes into the BIOS. Turn off then back on and Try F2 if that doesn’t work. How could that have gotten set to off though? It may be something else - are all connections set tight?

#8336 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Need some assistance on power supply upgrade.
So I understand what to do with the brown and black wires, issue I have is they won't go into the wall plug they sent. I mean they go in but pull right back out or just fold over and jam up inside. I am stripping back at least 1/2" as recommended here.
Is there a secret to using these wall plugs? What am I missing here?
TIA

Fold the exposed wire in half on itself and twist to make a thicker wire

#8402 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It happens pretty infrequently. I chalked it up to software lag during a garbage collection or something. I'll try to pay more attention. I don't think it's mode-specific off the top of my head.

This happens on my game - but boy is it rare. Maybe once a week, and I play every night. It felt to me like too much to process for the game or hardware to catch up, yes.

#8419 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Do you ever have something that you never really noticed but once you do notice it or is brought to your attention really starts to bug you?
Hdmike444 brought up Houdini’s eyes back in post #8288 page166. I didn’t understand until I realized the eye inserts are bigger than the irises. So I decided to do my own fix today. Out in the shop I found a drawer of rubber grommets. The hole size is 7/16 and a 1/2” grommet fits snug. I still got some light bleed on the rest of the insert so I found some rubber washers and put those in first. It’s not perfect bet a lot better.
[quoted image]
I had a flat sided grommet that I think would work better than the rounded ones and allow skipping the flat washer.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Way to go!

#8430 5 years ago

Still curious about a code update!

#8434 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

With all of the activity surrounding Octoberfest I imagine that we are back burner priority for at least a couple weeks.

I'm sure you're right - it's just that Josh has posted about a number of issues / updates since December, and I figured it might mean we are due for an update. Not complaining; the game is quite finished already, but I love all the little tweaks and jokes he puts in.

#8441 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yup, blame bobukcat

Certainly busy with Oktoberfest and some of those enhancements/fixes also making their way into Houdini.

Oktoberfest is definitely fun to play. I'll be at TPF, with Joe Balcer and Jim Thornton, but Barry will not be there. Be sure to attend our seminar, lots of good stuff there.

All of this is great news, can’t wait to play Oktoberfest too !

#8444 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Otto better come out of the magic shop in future code.

LOL what?! Now that would be funny. How about Herman Munster?

#8472 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Anyone..... the LEDs in the spotlights are they 906 Wedge Base Flasher Lamps?

I really thought they were 555s

#8474 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Me too until I pulled one out, look too big to be 555s and there are 8 LEDs on it so thinking they're the 906 Wedge Base Flasher Lamps
Only marking on them are CT ROSH 13VAC

That’s kind of funny it says “Rosh”

#8504 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I changed the LED strip in the back of the playfield to red. It extends the "red curtain", adds a bit more mystique and really shows off the spotlights on the trunk and API grand.
[quoted image]

Interesting idea - did you replace the strip or just add a gel or what?

#8509 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Anybody have their game booted after submitting some initials for high scores? This might have to do with my new power supply, but I thought that I checked if others have had the same phenomenon and that it would e.g. be a firmware issue instead.

Which version?

#8513 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Yeah that black metal piece is held in place by the LED strip thats mounted to a metal bracket and pinches the black piece in place. A few tabs of exterior double sticky will hold it just fiine.

I’m going to add sticky tape regardless - mine keeps falling off over and over again

#8516 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I was in my local consignment shop. I noticed this and am thinking it could be a potential topper for my Houdini.
What do you think? It is kind of pricy though.
Michael
[quoted image]

Mike buy it, that’s a good $$

1 week later
#8523 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

At API panel today, Josh announced that Houdini code update is available for beta on March 24, Houdini's birthday. The published update will be April 6, I believe. Send note to to Josh if you want to test.
[quoted image]

Any more AP news?

#8528 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Sure. Any new Houdinis that get produced will ship with the new Oktoberfest power system. Oktoberfest ships in april. Joe took a poll of the seminar audience on enthusiasm for the 4 titles they trademarked. Sherlock Holmes was tops by far, with Poker run a mild second. But then Josh joked that they wouldnt develop the title we like most because they wouldnt live up to our inflated expectations. Ha!. Oktoberfest had longest consistent lines at the show except for Spooky's Nightmare Castle, and the two Safecrackers on the floor. CGC should remake safecracker, looks like. BTW, API fed us brats and beer for their seminar, and gave out prizes for quiz winners. Very classy and fun!

Nice! Thanks for the write-up! And screw you for getting free brats and beer!

Sounds like it was one of the better received seminars! I guess WOZ is going out the door, and I know what’s next...

#8529 5 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I have been on the fence for a while , but finally decided to purchase a Houdini. I looked at the market and saw some reasonable used games for sale, but in the end I wanted a NIB with the warranty.Normally I like to sell off a game to help fund a new one, but considering that as of 4/1 sales tax will be tacked onto the deal- I just made the purchase.
I have already ordered a set of Cliffy's protectors and a set of plastic protectors for the game.
I am still in the process of reading this thread- but with over 8000, i am just reading every 5th page and am still in the process. I have been conversing with Ericpinballfan on the side and am inspired by his love of the game. Talked to a few haters of the game complaining of the tight shots. I see it as a challenge. I had a TSPP for 3 years and could only make it 1/2 way to the wizard mode, but still loved the game.
Hopefully I will be a member in good standing.
Cheers

Good for you. There are a whole lot of us who really love Houdini; you may see my posts sprinkled here and there. I see AP as the absolute best combo of price and features out there, and you really can-not go wrong with Houdini. I complained and moaned that i didn’t get my game until 6 months after ordering - and it’s still worth it, and still played almost every day. Game is cripplingly deep - or perhaps “wide” is a better term, as you have so many different paths to choose from. The modes are fun, the shots are great, what more do you want?

The complaining about the tight shots.. my goodness has that gotten out of control. I recently had an IMDN and it has shots just as tight (if not more tight - hello left ramp!). Enjoy it. Make sure you give it time to settle - and by god make sure you level it to LESS than 6.5; that is key. 6.2 or something. That is absolutely critical.

#8531 5 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

Hey thanks rdoyle1978 for the encouragement. I have seen posts about making sure the catapult is straight and the scoop is aligned to hit the right flipper. I will post the date on the game when it gets here, but wondering if it will need a code update and something about a power supply. I will try to read more posts tonight.
I have enjoyed the game every time I have played it and knowing me ..I will find the rule set and just immerse myself into it.

Definitely update the code - there is a new update coming the first week of April

You may or may not need the power upgrade - it’s $150, but the team gives you a coupon to use in their store. Aaaaand that reminds me I havent used mine!

You may have to set up your game a bit - align the scoop and set the catapult strength .. but that’s the case with every single NIB game, so no big deal. If something seems weird just ask right here!

#8543 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Josh says the power problem affected people in the Northeast primarily, where the juice consistency sucks.

Also reports from the Mid-Atlantic, western desert states, CA... IMO better safe than sorry. I did not really feel it affected the game too much, but I did notice a dip in the flipper strength occasionally when in a multiball and a magnet was fired. It was noticeable - you
Literally can feel it- but I can’t say it affected gameplay that much. However it has not reoccurred since installed that thing.

#8550 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I am experiencing this as well. During multiball if I have the flipper cradling a ball and another ball comes down the flipper will give for a brief moment. Barry felt it was the EOS. Nonetheless, and to your point, I went ahead and ordered the power supply then used the code to order the EOS, Art Blades and Shaker Motor (which I recommend).

Others have installed the EOS as well, but the power upgrade was sufficient for me.

#8552 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

hmm, not sure how moving it would causes this, lets see if the bios change fixes it, if not, we will figure it out

Battery dying / dead?

#8604 5 years ago

Installed the latest beta - great updates! Had a couple of weird pauses but Nothing that kept a game from continuing. Great changes!

#8622 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I understand that some have noted a flipper giving way when balls are stacked during a multi-ball or a weak hit in similar circumstances. Happened to me last night. The flipper gave up the ghost momentarily and dumped three balls down the drain. It’s really weird. I’m hoping this will help. It’s very intermittent with me. We’ll see what it does. If it helps, hooray.

Nope, you need the power supply upgrade to fix they

#8627 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Nope. That’s been in for months. Something else afoot.

No kidding? I’ll have to pay more attention on mine- I haven’t noticed since installed mine. Let us know if the EOS works!

#8691 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Josh.
In the changelog it says "support for water torture mod". What does this mean?
Thanks

Game Interactivity with the mod, it is controllable

#8693 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I have the mod couple one. It just grabs power from a gi bulb. Is there a different one that is controllable that I'm not seeing?
Thanks

https://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p137/Houdini-Pinball-Mod-Full-Combo-Kit.html

I was set to order the ModCouple one but Yelobird posted a whole bunch of nasty comments about the game totally out of nowhere, right when I was going to order and it just turned me way off. Maybe he was having a bad couple days, he seems like a nice enough guy - but anyways that’s why I ordered the other one

#8709 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Version 19.4.7 is now available on the website . . . .
https://www.american-pinball.com/support/updates/
Fixed – Volume Changes via coin door not saving correctly
Fixed – Audio Knocker causing reboot
Fixed – Magic Shop + Multiball end of ball bug

Man thats a quick turnaround!!

#8734 5 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I am really enjoying this game. My best so far is 1.9 mil, a long way to go to get to the magician mode, but great fun trying. I will have to do some reading on the rule set. I am not sure what I did to get 2 Houdini letters, but I think I heard a call out about spelling Houdini while playing Seance and got a jackpot. I have some reading to do. The chain link awards are welcome- as they really help out in the bonus round, but I have no clue what the chain link is. More reading.
I keep encountering an issue with the small API Grand display.It goes blank during a game and I am not sure what brings it back on. Yesterday it went off and I turned the game off and checked every connection and still no display, as I was scrolling through the settings I think I turned on attract mode sounds and it came back on.
However today after 1 game it went blank again and I was unsuccessful it getting it back on. The code is 18.5.4, but I will have to wait till the weekend to use a better laptop to download the newest code. I did a search but did not find any similar posts, any thought about the display issue? Thanks

Oh man, you need to update! There are some massive differences in the current code for what you have in there. Good game @ 1.9 mil!

#8753 5 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Thanks I have re-formatted the drive, tried different drives.. its really odd... it says reading drive for a split second that it says copying audits... and never updates.

Many of my drives do this. You’re going to have to try another one

#8807 5 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Can we confirm the new code will definitely be released/ready on the 16th. Does anyone have a list of the updates?

new code for Houdini? Josh just did an update last week

#8809 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

It seems some people had issues. I am holding off updating mine.

Man that sucks - I’ve installed everything from the beta in March to the last 2 mini-updates and no issues so far. 1.9 mil game last night!

#8815 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

thx..Yeah it was so cool playing it and I knew I had not played it before.
One thing I love is how smooth the shaker i on this game. Its just enough to make the game experience even better without shaking glass and extra noise.

Best shaker integration in any game. And the knocker on Bullet Catch!

#8866 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Ok, I was having a great game, and kept getting extra balls. Then I drained and started return from beyond, which I spelled out Seance and continued my ball. Then master magician started And I played that until I was left with one ball. Once I drained the last ball from that multi ball the game ended even though I think I had a couple extra balls and I never played ball 2 or 3. Is this a bug ?

Master magician is the “end” of the game - all balls end. you may want to make
Your settings a bit harder!

#8872 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I bought it 2 weeks ago, put a little under 100 games. Settings are how I got it, not sure if they are set easy because I haven't gotten there before. My score was 3,394,889. I was actually lighting chain links this time. I think I had 3 combos, 2 films, and 2 escapes.

You can definitely make the game harder - sounds like you were being awarded lots of letters for what are normally a bit harder

#8877 5 years ago

1. Not all games let the ball come back out. Mine just rolls the ball around on set ball underneath. Originally rosh and co were working to make that a feature. Never really worked. After a moment, stage door closes and ball comes to subway. Best to just turn it off. I had it on for months with ball never coming out, just a visual.
2. The plate under trunk will move during trunk shot to let it go into subway. All other times it stays there for airballs and such to guide it to upper catapult.
3. Ya, your settings are way to easy. Also, are you on 5 ball? I suspect you are. To each his own on ball count, ive had the game on both. I was on 3 ball for 9 months to test code.

FWIW mine works perfectly, and I love the occasional times when the game ejects a ball from there. It sort of pops lazily out, but you still have to be ready! You may try leaving it on during a game and seeing if it will come out then

#8897 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Always into this kind of creativity. Depending on how thick your figure is from front to back, you might also mount it on the horizontal plastic to the right of the trunk. The upper catapult that throws the ball into the right wireform easily clears an object pushed up snug against the backboard. I have a straightjacket torso velcroed there. It doesnt get hit or trap the ball. BTW, if you are looking for an iron maiden topper, check out all the Eddie masks offered by Trick or Treat Studios. https://www.trickortreatstudios.com/licensed-designs/iron-maiden.html

Is your straitjacket also from the Eddie figure ?

#8901 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I too have the hookedonpinball.com version.
I tried it here but it blocked the peep show. Now it is next to the trunk. Shots of trunk location on our site[quoted image]

LOL

#8913 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Anyone else that purchased the Houdini Custom Water Torture Mod have theirs fall off? Not looking to bash the maker, just looking to see if anyone else had an issue. Was in the midst of a game and all of a sudden it fell over. Upon inspecting it the screw has plastic in its threads so just appears it was a poor way of fixing the unit to the bracket.[quoted image]

There are 2 water torture mods - suggest you identify which one you have. The photo is not clear.

#8916 4 years ago

Thats the Hooked one. I have it, need to put it in, Pull the Mod couple out, sorry Dave, this one has more detail.
Rosh was adding programming for it, almost a mod first. Just shows you what a good guy Josh is.
Damage in pick looks fixable and am wondering what epoxy best to fix that?

I’m confused - it looks like this is the Mod Couple version. The HOP version is cast, and this looks 3d printed to me

#8930 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I tried out 3d printing in a tech school class, but the print lines/ridges were a big turnoff. I know they can be sanded and smoothed, but it is not something I want to do. I have a board game token I need scanned and printed, but don't know any small-job businesses who do this.

there are tons of different printers, and depending on settings and the printer quality, you can minimize those lines. This was printed on the same model I have, which costs $200 (and a lot of tweaking)

3dprint (resized).jpg3dprint (resized).jpg
#8933 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Wow, great detail in that! I assume the higher end machines render a smoother print, but I didnt want to spend 4 figures for one. Maybe someday.

Me neither. It sometimes takes a couple tries to get something that good - but once you learn how to tweak the software settings and adjust the actual printer very precisely, it just screams. I've spent probably $280 on it all in, after upgrading a couple of pieces to make adjustments easier.

3 weeks later
#8966 4 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Anyone know the coding software used to program Houdini or was it coded from scratch?

They started with one of the frameworks and customised the heck out of it

1 week later
#8978 4 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

40% off as an employee discount?

Ooh I might be able to make that work... think they would let me work remotely.

#8982 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

St Louis isnt too bad of a commute. I would love this job.

Arent' they in Chicago?

#8984 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Dont try and talk me out of it

LOL!!

#9031 4 years ago

Hookedonpinball made a 3D amazing detail water torture mod. Rosh was very kind and integrated some code for it.

it's pretty cool. It's a REALLY nice looking mod, and has RGB LEDs inside. The game changes the colors inside the mod during different modes. It's a bit subtle because the LEDs are inside the mod itself, and therefore don't call attention to themselves like an insert does, but it's still really cool. I'd like to see a bit of interactivity where the playfield mostly goes dark save for the mod, and make it really dramatic. It's great as-is; this would just kick it over the fence

#9048 4 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Found install pictures Josh sent so anyone needing them email me [email protected].
I will add pictures to my site this weekend if life allows ...seems too much going on these days.
Thanks to the AP family for all their help and special shout out to Josh for making this happen.
Sorry for the delay in getting the info out there.
Hookedonpinball.com

Has something changed since the original mod?

#9056 4 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Original tapped back strip light. Now there is a dedicated driver in the code to turn it on and off with game play.

Do I need to do anything to take advantage of this? Or is this in upcoming code?

#9075 4 years ago
Quoted from CullenT:

Hi everyone, new to Houdini ownership but having lots of fun. Took a while to dial in the game but I feel things are set up pretty well at this point.
A lingering issue relates to the plunger having quite a bit of friction when pulled back to launch ball into the playfield. Although I haven't played any other Houdini pins for comparison it seems very rough and I'd love to have a smoother feel.
Does this sound normal? Any advice?
Thanks!
Cullen

The washer on the plunger isn’t filed down as it should be. Either remove it, or pull it and file it down/replace it. Then yer good

#9079 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

The Hooked on Pinball water torture mod now runs factory programming from Josh. I posted a video of this. According to TWIP, this is the first after-market pinball mod to receive custom programming from the manufacturer. Watch how on Magician's Choice, the GI lighting turns dark and dramatically shows the blue tank illumination flashing when the water torture stage mode is showing or selected. The mod flashes again on completing the mode. When you get the mode without Magicians Choice, the mod flashes for the first shot and on completion. All other times it is lit solid.

[quoted image]

Very cool! Is this in the upcoming code update?

#9090 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

I bent the rail a bit and used some velcrostuff, also dropped the flippers like pinballnero. Now the shot is buttersmooth with zero rejects.

Pinbits Foam works well too

#9092 4 years ago

Several pages back. Think vireland mentioned just some black sticky felt from any craft store. Line turnaround with felt after cutting to fit.

There you go!

#9119 4 years ago

My game runs good but I agree it has a lot of idiosyncrasies.
I think its inherent problems with the P-ROC system in general.
Beaglebone is a faster little computer
It was a curious choice, but I imagine it had to do with being expedient more than anything else.
Code work-arounds might be possible.
More headaches for Josh lol.
There are many areas that can be worked on, I hope API doesn't sweep Houdini under a rug and forget about us.
I love my game!

Still loving this game here too! Josh mentioned another code update soon

1 week later
#9155 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

All of a sudden I am getting a lot of air balls.....have flipper strength at 23???

Dial the coil strength down so you can just make the ramp off a strong left flip. you don't want the coils too strong!

#9157 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello,
in the theater, there is a captive ball (it is fixed).
What is it for ? In which mission she intervenes. ?

The captive ball is there as part of the decoration of the game, you do not shoot or bash it during gameplay. Sometimes you will see it open the stage doors and show the ball, close the stage and then show again that the ball is missing. It is like a magic trick

#9174 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Question about Houdini ,the one I play at Marvin’s always drains SDTM from the key lane or the lane to the left of the key lane,shots from bumpers also can drain through the key lane,very frustrating,is it a leveling issue with the game or a common problem,I may be getting one and I hate that it does this.
Thanks

Mine used to do this. 100% leveling issue

#9187 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

If it's a control system problem. I hope gerry Stellenberg can provide a firmware update for the Hardware and if Josh is working on an update which makes all a bit smoother - it would be great.
I would help if I get the instructions what to test or I would try out new code and firmware updates etc.. the most important thing is that we get the accidental flipper power losses fixed!

Same - id be happy to help test hardware or software as well!

#9202 4 years ago
Quoted from Tokkentakker:

Mbwalker,
Thanks for info. I just double checked packaging and no luck. I will email Nirmal. Thanks.

I believe Barry can also help you out with that. I just found mine after having installed the power supply months ago - magic glass time baby! I just wish there were more
Mods to install.. I would love to spruce up the game more but it’s so nice just out of the box!

1 week later
#9237 4 years ago

Wow. I have not folded my game head down more than twice, but especially since the game is powdercoated, you should use foam or at least cardboard!

#9259 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballer3:

Service outlet ??? There isn't one.

Of course there is. Inside the coin door, extreme right side on the power relay box (where the switch under the game is housed). My topper is plugged in to mine.

#9262 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballer3:

Yep - it's not on an 'export' game. I'm investigation the power relay box, I'll take it apart an see what's going on.

Post a photo, something is off here

1 week later
#9304 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Not sure if I do or not. I'm guessing I don't since the seller I bought it from never mentioned it.

That will go a long way toward addressing your catapult issues. Some owners have had to make additional adjustments, but this is the simplest way to address it. Makes the game play way better as well

#9321 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello,
I really think that the mode mini wizard mode "movie" has problems.
I tested by hand and I played the mission in a ball.
Sometimes it's a multiball, sometimes it's a ball, the mission has no stopwatch and stops only when there is no more ball, the screen of the theater indicated another mission ,,,, everything is weird

What code version are you on? Something is definitely up with your game

#9324 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Another question, during the multibill seance, drummers on some shots are less powerful, is this normal compared to this mode or is it due to the known problem?
I play with the power 29 left and 27 right and except during this mode SEANCE, the rest of the time, the drummers work very well. By cons, if I lower the power, I have random losses of power.
It is not dangerous for the power supply to play at 29 and 27?
I specify that everything else works perfectly.

27/29 settings should be ok, but you may risk breaking some plastics or the ramp if it’s too powerful

#9327 4 years ago

They seem to be working on Oktoberfest at the same time. I don’t know if it’s both Ferret and Josh who are working on Houdini, or just Josh

#9329 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Joined the club over the weekend. Beautiful game and so much fun. It’s the only game I’ve ever had where it plays better with longer legs in the front. Is that how others have the game set up? I think the guy I bought it from had them all at the lowest setting.

huh? Do you mean you have it basically flat?

Joe Balcer designed the game to play more like at about 6 degrees, which would be where all your levelers are screwed all the way up. (assuming you have a flat floor), but this feels a little 'floaty' to most players. Many of us have it set to about 6.2 or so - screw the levelers all the way up, then take the rear legs out about 5-8 threads

#9331 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Yeah, I’ll play around with it a bit. It’s playing pretty good but when I had the back up higher it seemed like I was getting a lot of rejects on the right ramp. Could be my flipper cool strength too. Thanks!

The ramp definitely takes some getting used to - you have to hit it higher up on the flipper than most other games, and as a result it can help to have higher flipper strength. But if you make it TOO strong, you'll get rejects Get the game levelers all the way in, then raise it like I mentioned above. Then you can play with the flipper strength - I believe everybody has raised both flippers a point or two, but you do have to dial in your own game specifically

#9333 4 years ago

My flippers are up 2 from factory.
Ramp is hard to make, but doable. Pitch is 6.15 average.
I'm working out stage rejects still.
Too high of a flipper power and everything works really good except for the stage rejects.
I keep going back and forth on this.

direct stage shots, or do you go through the alley lane? I tend to shoot for the alley lane and they land in and stay in the stage effectively

#9336 4 years ago

Shots from the alley are dead on and stick.
Direct shots are problematic.
If they are deflected shots they go in pretty good.
Direct, centered shots bounce out 75% of the time.
I was working on a shock absorbing pad for the rear of the stage but that has only yielded partial results.
It's much like a newly restored IJ.
IJ mode start shots without modification on a newly clearcoated game is near 100% rejected.
So I'm still thinking of modifications for the stage.

Yep, exactly. I modded my IJ to remove the ball guard, and installed the Pinbits dead bounce foam. Worked absolutely perfectly.

#9345 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Plays much better using rdoyle1978 suggestions.
Loving this game so much! Got to Master Magician for the first time. There was a hilarious amount of text on the screen telling me what I was supposed to do. Think I got a cramp from having my arms crossed for so long. So fun!

holy crap that was fast! They've been improving Master magician, but still a ways to go... I think the text is a placeholder, but I always take it like a joke as in "how am I supposed to read all that?!"

#9352 4 years ago

Uuuuupdate?!?!

#9361 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

certainly sounds like it. I'd suggest rascal_h install the pre-set for 'medium' and play that a bit and see how he does, he can always go back to easy, but considering had gotten all jail escapes, which is quite impressive and had 7 stage acts, clearly some skills here. Certainly scores will be high if you get to master magician. He might have also gotten 'The Great Jail Escape' as well.

I'm working on it. Keep in mind, I only have time to work on Houdini code at home, so, that limits the time I have.

Wait, what?!? I had no idea. Boy does that change things. Well, us early adopters still believe!

#9367 4 years ago
Quoted from KingHebes:

Greetings Houdini owners! I have been thinking about buying a NIB houdini but this long thread is intimidating. Can anybody give me a summary of known issues? Does anybody know if later productions have addressed any of the known issues? Is this not worth my time? I would be putting it on a public location, but not looking for tons of maintenance and labor out of the gates with a NIB pin.

There’s not a ton. Make sure you have the power supply upgrade, level it CORRECTLY (it is not pitched like a WMS pin) and maybe remove or replace the inner washer on the shooter rod if that doesn’t feel smooth.

For what it’s worth - I’ve pulled IMDN, DI, Houdini and WOZ from the box. Houdini was BY FAR the one with the least stuff to have to fix

#9374 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Just got a Houdini. How are people setting the scoop coil power? I have it set so that it just makes it out of the hole otherwise it was bouncing funny. Not sure if there is a standard way to set it up.

Yep, it should be JUST powerful enough to make it out of the scoop. Too powerful and it can hit the scoop guide and bounce back in

#9386 4 years ago

Thinking about Josh’s post where he said he can only work on the game during his free time.. does that mean AP is done supporting it? That’s certainly what this implies to me. I know it’s their first game and all, but I caused major havoc with my distributor getting this game in the door (WAAAAAAAAAY later than I wanted), and I had intended to buy Oktoberfest as well - but If they are done supporting such a great game that’s giving me pause. I’m sure Sherlock Holmes will be great but .. man AP has got to understand that $7+ THOUSAND dollars has to last a while around here

But anyway, my point was that I think that is just amazing that he’s even thinking about this game during non-office hours. That is ridiculous, and amazing

#9388 4 years ago

I think its josh's love of the project that keeps him going.
API wants more games to stay alive in a recently competitive market.
Josh wants quality. And a trouble free finished product.
I'm concerned that the 2 are heading in opposite directions.
Houdini isnt as refined as it could be.
I really hope there us more to come and our games dont get forgotten.
I'm very hesitant to get sherlock Holmes, I want to see how Houdini finishes up.
I almost sold my hobbit waiting 2 years for a meaningful update.
JJP finally released new code that is so good I'm keeping my game now.
That's commitment.

Much more eloquent way of stating my thoughts ^^^^^^^

#9392 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not to mention what many programmers have happen to them. You are somewhere other than work. Home, vacation, wherever. An idea hits. You crank up the lap top and go to town. Hours later your idea is ready to test in a game.
Programming isn't a job. It's an adventure.

For certain - this is more true than you realize! LOL I hope I didn't give the impression that I am getting on Josh's case AT ALL. I understand having to do work you know needs to get done, but you need to do it on your own time.

I am just hoping that corporate AP recognizes that the game isn't done, and this time Josh is spending on Houdini is good marketing dollars showing they are supporting their games. Houdini is REALLY complex, and sure, some bugs do remain, but we are miles ahead of where the game started from, even now. I'm sure any further updates will solidify Houdini and AP as good buys for us pinball fools

#9395 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Not by a long shot.
Josh and Joe's passion for our games is really something to behold.
API still being a start up company has everyone wearing many hats at many times and our limited time can get divided.
that being said Josh's passion for his work and this hobby simply prevents him from NOT working to make everything he does is 100% awesome

They are the two dudes who convinced me to get this game in the first place. I met them at Allentown and played the first prototype - at that show and the subsequent show when they were in production, they spent a ton of time with me and my son, and They were SO proud of the game - and a year+ in, I still understand why. The passion was infectious. As you can see. Looking forward to game 3!! But you guys might have to help me build me a bigger house ..

#9408 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

First off I really like this machine. Like it so much I bought the shaker and cliffy set.
Unfortunately I am having some serious issues with lifting the playfield. Apparently I wasn't the first one because one of the previous owners bent the yellow rails almost to a point trying to pull it out. When I lift the playfield and pull forward it gets stuck liek it is hitting something. I can eventually get it pulled out but I have to lift the playfield off the rail to do so. I am clearly missing something and have seen a couple others struggle with this. Any thoughts on what could be wrong (maybe even user error)?
Thanks

can you post a video? The playfield is not fixed to anything, it's just riding on top of the rails. Something may have been bent if the previous owner was too rough

#9420 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Had some people over yesterday and noticed the game resets if left on for awhile. Also did a reset during the first ball of a friend’s game. This the power issue I’m hearing about?

Have left the game on for 3-day stretches and I’ve never had this issue. Just had a mega-party and it was on for 28 hours

#9432 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

My new GC. I've been making sure to play at least a half hour a day after work for about three weeks. This game went from 200k to 3.9 million from an incredible 2x bullet catch with trunk multiball then extending it with seance. My new goal is beating all modes in one game. I've gotten to the last mode once but died ignominiously. I'm finding the best way to hit the right flipper is on the edge of the button nearest to the backbox. Somehow that slips it into the sweet spot. I also love the key target shot to open the stage in one shot. Love it. It's kinda like that grill bonus shot on Diner.[quoted image]

This is the second time I’ve heard the word ignominiously used today. Great score!

#9440 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Has anyone seen any of the Houdini films referenced in the game?

Rosh has!! LOL

#9443 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Thanks, I’m gonna try to watch of these days.
I love whoever that woman is that they got to do the movie introductions. I can’t see that pic without hearing her voice.

Me too!! Funny, there was a lot of complaining about that early on

#9470 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Visited Krakow Pinball Museum tonight. No Houdini, but a perfect Cactus Canyon and working Banzai Run. Unlimited play for 10USD.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is the coolest space I have ever seen!

1 week later
#9516 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

here you go: amazon.com link »
3M Safety 7640

I’m having trouble following this - is this the exact tape that was used in the photo a few
Posts up?

#9519 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I used this, which I bought at a True Value hardware store:[quoted image]

Thanks for clarifying!

#9524 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

I want a "Who says you can't take it with you" type meltdown when you get over 100k bonus. Even just reusing the "HOLY S#1T" callout would work. I know this ain't a heavily weighted bonus game but still. Yer in that post-mortem afterglow taking a sip knowing it's probably a huge bonus. Just a little extra tweak on the nipple. I used to think 20k was a big bonus.
Right now I'm in that area where I just waxed the playfield and the game is kicking my ass all over again. I had a movie binge where I completely beefed everything and died with no points. That was on a 2.5 million game. If I could've done anything I'd probably've busted that brand new GC by about a million. Thankfully I'm in my own house so nobody saw or heard me bein' all pissy and incredulous. Beer helped. Y'know how you start monologuin' when a game starts looking hopeful.
My favorite part of freshly waxing the pf is how many more ramps I hit as opposed to it rollin' halfway up and coming back to the left flipper. Shit's screamin' like a damn Steve Ritchie game. I'm also reiteratin' how useful the left orbit to neutral right flipper into the milkcan loop is. It ain't guaranteed but when you trust it and it melts into the loop settin' you up for an easy inlane into the ramp pf multiplier. BEAUTY
Is there a secret mission mini wizard mode if you complete all the combos? I've only done the first three missions. I like how if you complete on a magic target you have to requalify the scoop. Keeps me from cheesing it. Left target is definitely easiest.
I've got my extra balls set on 2 combos, 4 escapes and default everything else. I have had nine ball games. The King of Cards EB is damn near a gimme now. I've also finally hit the back ring after the EB. You have to throw the opposite hand to where it's coming from to even have a chance. I kinda wish there was a multiball cancel option from magic shop locks. Sometimes you just don't want to pop it yet.
Loving this game.
How about if in waterwheel if you hit the milkcan loop and rip the spinner it counts for double spins? I'm thinking of a bunch of different contextual milkcan combos. Like milkcan into seance gives you 2x seance jackpots. Maybe even milkcan clean into stage could be 3x mode? Milkcan into ball 3 lock could increase base jackpot.

Ok wow that was a lot to read ..

Yes there is a secret mission mini wizard mode. Man it is hard to get

#9525 4 years ago

(Whispering in Josh's ear... Code update?)

He already said he’s basically working on it only in his spare time... so I would be equally grateful, but I’ve stopped asking; everybody deserves a break

#9527 4 years ago

Lol, yes I know, hence the whisper...

Hahah gotcha

#9530 4 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

Has anyone had any issues with their white general illumination bulbs? All of them on my game are flickering or “power surging” after updating to the latest code. I have the updated power supply and the power going into the game is constant. This happens during gameplay and in test mode. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated!

how did you connect the new PS? The wall nuts they send are not the greatest for the gauge of wire that has to be connected. You may be better off using a twist connector for the appropriate gauge (usually the small blue ones)

#9535 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

This has been addressed in previous posts. I found the wall nuts to be worthless so see my post #9289 for my solution. Others have done it differently.

Ah. A “I connected them securely” would also suffice

1 week later
#9546 4 years ago

Did anyone ever get the Pingraffix Houdini backglass lite up mod?
Teased earlier in year, then at a few shows.
But nothing since.

WOW, I forgot about that. Release it, Joe!

#9547 4 years ago

Anybody have news?

This Halloween will mark the 93rd anniversary of his unfortunate passing...

#9550 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

me too... one second full power and next second half of the power, noticeable mainly on the left flipper.
Played another machine with no problems.... Maybe they had a beta code ord a meanwellpowersupply?
There must be a difference on the this and our machines.

Mine doesn’t have this issue often, but VERY rarely when there’s a lot going on, I’ll feel it a tiny bit (also left flipper I think too). I thought i read something Josh posted about how maybe it was related to how the P-ROC was being used (not sure if that meant how the software for the game was written, or something with a driver, not sure)

#9554 4 years ago

I dont think it's all power related.
I think its driver congestion/log jam.
Some operations are interrupting the instructions to the flippers.
More power can make a computer faster or more sprightly and handle a bigger load but, it's not the whole picture.
Maybe driver optimisation or faster memory, or faster computer.

This can happen with the 3d printer I have (Ender 3). The solution appears to be slightly slowing down some operations, which could apply in this case by allowing the flippers to override at all times, and always keeping the available power to a level that can tolerate continuous flips.

#9558 4 years ago

Yep. All of that!

Yep!

Has it been longer for POTC or Houdini? Both games still kick ass - both could use a little bit of polish. Houdini still bolted down!

#9564 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

For me- the game just stops completely- lights out no screens, and the computer starts the re-boot process

What code are
You on? Is this with 2 player games or just 1?

#9568 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I have v19.4.7 and it has done this in earlier updates as well. It has always happened in the end game at either 6 or 7 Houdini letters, weird.

Interesting. A way earlier update would do something similar when you hit the master magician mode, but it’s been months since that was fixed

#9572 4 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

Anyone else having issues with the sound. If I leave the game on for awhile, the sound will "shrink" and become tinny like if you've blown a speaker. Then after it's been off for awhile, it will be fine. I do have a powered subwoofer attached, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

Never heard of this either. This is the in-game sound, not just attract mode?

I’ve left my games on for a couple days and not had this happen

#9591 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I'm guessing when Rosh feels like it...
Ferret: Are you allowed to tinker with the Houdini code or is that Rosh's baby?

Josh stated that he can only work on the game "in his spare time", which I took to understand that since Houdini is no longer manufactured, he's got other responsibilities right now. Would love to see some of those final things get worked out but it's all off the books

#9592 4 years ago

Finally got around to installing the EOS switches and knocker last night.

I also reset the settings to the “home” preset, where before I had customized a bunch of rules and coil settings (I can’t remember what preset I started from)

I played about 2 games, and suddenly the game rebooted! I checked my installation job and I don’t think that’s shorting or anything. But that only leaves the settings which caused the issue. Anybody have this happen too?

I just noticed I’m on the 3.24 beta code, so I’ll update to the latest first, but that was really surprising!

#9594 4 years ago

Interesting.
Try updating to the current code and try again?
I'm on highly adjusted factory settings but, that shouldn't matter.

I know, that’s what I thought. But I guess it’s possible there some combination of settings and gameplay that causes the reboot. I have NEVER seen the game reboot before, except once when I got to MM mode on early early code.

Most likely it’s the new stuff I added, obviously, but i don’t think it’s my installation - or at least I can not see any obvious shorts and I am certain I followed the directions.

#9596 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

send me the logs

Yes sir!! I have not yet updated to the latest release (still apparently on the March 24 beta). I’ll remove the update so I can make sure the logs copy to the drive. Thanks josh !!

#9597 4 years ago

Update! Has not reoccurred, and I think it may have been related to my settings: once I set the knocker to “ mechanical “ in the menu, things seem more stable

#9598 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Update! Has not reoccurred, and I think it may have been related to my settings: once I set the knocker to “ mechanical “ in the menu, things seem more stable

Update 2: rock solid for
The past week. Got me excited enough to add a knocker to my MB too!

#9600 4 years ago

Great to hear its behaving again.
Still it points to evidence that drivers or something in the code has to be sorted out.

Yep, I am reasonably sure that this was just a conflict with the knocker installed but not activated. I didn’t send the logs to Josh yet though, and I can’t be certain what happened

2 weeks later
#9618 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

Hello,
I own a Houdini pinball machine since some weeks and really enjoy it. But I find the rules quite difficult to understand. Is there a rules follow chart available somewhere ? Like on jjp games.
I'm not a bad player but it seems impossible for me to finish the game. Do you guys achieve to reach the master magician ?
Thank you

I’ve had my game for almost a year and a half - still love it! Still can not get even close to master magician mode.. have patience!

#9626 4 years ago

Guys don’t get your hopes up! There’s a lot going on at AP lately ...

#9628 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Agree, be surprised if it happens at all. AP is onto Oktoberfest and the fourth coming redemption game.
Furthermore it doesn’t help that Dan (works for AP) had no knowledge of the issue nonetheless that any further software release, for Houdini, was fourth coming. (Referencing Conversation in Oktoberfest post).

Josh posted at one point that he's only able to work on Houdini in his spare time - of which I'm sure
There's no much these days! I love The game as is, But There's no question it ain't done. Whatever though, I can wait.

#9632 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Yeah it is what it is!
I just think, if any new pinball company wants to set itself apart from the others.....release a game when announced and then have finished code 6 months after it’s released! Hell make it 12 months and they’ll still be way ahead of the others.

JJP pretty much did this on POTC. Most complete game I’ve ever seen as shipped. Dialed In was pretty darn close too

#9633 4 years ago
Quoted from multibrawlr:

Awesome. Can't wait!

Woo hoo!!!

#9643 4 years ago
Quoted from Blacksnow:

I apologize if this has been addressed already. I read through much of this post but have not found an exact match to my question.
I am new to posting so please bear with me
The stage curtain on my Houdini Machine just stopped working. It did not show any sign of inconsistencies leading up to the all out failure of the device. Everything else regarding the stage works fine but the curtain will not open nor close. Is this a common issue? Not sure if there is much I can do. Some friends have mentioned I may need a whole new unit if that is broke due to all the calibrations. I’m hoping for the best here with some tips from anybody who may have solved this previously.
Thanks so much for your help. Pinside has been such an amazing support network for repair, mods, game information, community and a place to share our crazy love for these rad games.[quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry to hear it! Make sure you reach out to BarryJ or DanDanDAN so they can help you out. It is not that common, I can only remember one other person posting about the stage curtain, and that was more about how it works with the eject. Hope you can get it figured out!

1 week later
#9686 4 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

This all seems so complicated. It’s a HUO machine. Do you think it is necessary to do/worth the effort?
I bought the Cliffy. I sunk the cost but worried I’ll screw up a perfectly calibrated , nicely playing machine for a piece that might be overkill.

... which might be said about making any sort of changes to any machine ever bought ever. If you like it enough to buy a Cliffy, install it!

#9699 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Had a really good game the othernite and progressed thru a number of modes..However on one of the modes, forget which one the lights on the playfield went out and then some flickered on in places.. Sure I have seen this happen before..
Think the code still needs work.. Overall this pin could really be improved with a better lightshow.. It's good but could be top 20..

Prob Man from Beyond - lots of people have gotten confused about that since that's the only mode the entire playfield shuts off. awesome mode!

#9703 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Lights seem to flicker as if it was a fault. Ok will test and report back!

Still sounds like Man from Beyond

#9710 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Houdini owners, does your game (running latest code) often time the ball launch and scoop eject so that the two hit each other when starting Seance? This happens almost every time on mine, I'm not sure which actually launches first but the one from the shooter lane very often hits the one coming out of the scoop and so it's instant chaos with very little chance to start in control. Not that control is real easy anyway with the magnets firing like crazy but I'm just curious if others are seeing this too?

Not on mine. I do have stage eject turned on.

1 week later
#9742 4 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

hmm, what will an upgraded power supply do?

OMG go get it right now. Key to stabilising your game. If you don’t notice a power issue occasionally, consider yourself lucky, but a buyer will ask.

#9747 4 years ago

Starting to feel like the Stern KISS buyers back in the day. At least all the modes and inserts will start on Houdini, I guess.

#9750 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Please, the code on this game when it first shipped was WAY better than Kiss code even a year after release. The game is about 100x a better game as well.

while I see your point, I actually don’t agree. When it shipped it was mostly playable but would reboot and crash under certain conditions. I’m not knocking Josh, he got that stuff fixed up pretty fast - but it wasn't the most stable game in the world as shipped. The KISS comparison is obviously an exaggeration, but we know Josh has new code he’s worked on, and the last update was in April.

As the time goes by, it seems less and less likely we’d see an update.

#9752 4 years ago
Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

I joined the club yesterday and set up my machine this morning. The game plays great, the code was updated and it is fully loaded. Thanks to Zach at Flip N Out for selling me 2 pinball machines this year. The finishes and touches that AP puts on their games is second to none.[quoted image]

Fully agree! This games has the unusual layout that players claim to want - but then complain about when faced with learning a new shot. It is SO different from all my other games, and takes a little time to learn which is awesome.

#9756 4 years ago

Question: why do we need a code update? It’s a pretty good game as is. The two things I’d ask for is starting the film modes before the ball is launched from the catapult so the film mode always starts and for timers to stop when the ball is held for on screen stuff.

The game is fully playable -
But there are several obnoxious “placeholder art” frames in a couple modes, the Master magician mode needs some tweaking, and the game
Still loses track of a ball or two in multiball occasionally.

Further, I think there was an attempt
To work on the flipper issue that wouldn’t be the worst thing to resolve..

#9759 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

There is still an issue I believe when using the backboard dimming it caused buggy gameplay.
Hopefullyanother update is coming. My family still enjoys the game. So many fun modes!

Can you elaborate on this bug? Backboard dimming? Is that adjustable in the menu?

#9772 4 years ago

I'm becoming less and less a fan of so called reveals.
The product should be in the upper 90's complete and ready to ship. Current reveals of late seem to create a negative side to a new game. Complaints abound for artwork, ramps etc... Imagine a reveal were I can call my distro that day and have the game within 2-3 weeks shipped to my front door. Dont mind a code update or 2 within the next year, but code should also be in the 90% range at ship.
Im also in show business so I'm a little picky and jaded. Ive worked countless reveals where the pazzazz of the event is part of the hype. Just once, just once, would love to see some flare to a reveal. Lighting, music, haze, lasers, whatever, make a show of it!.
Thats what these machines Are, a Show under glass.

Although the timing has been waaaaaaaay too late, I think JJP's promos for Dialed In and (to a slightly lesser extent) The Hobbit have been OUT-STANDING.

Just watching that again makes me want to get another DILE. Those promos came way too late and SHOULD HAVE been the first part of the reveal instead of the conference room style thing they do at Expo. Make some buzz, get people talking without giving too much away. JJP POTC had the major issue with people stupidly pulling out because of the rotating disc, but that hurt them badly on presales. Maybe more tease and less deep dive is the way to go to whet the appetite.

The problem with not doing a reveal until code is 90% means no money is flowing in because people are waiting to see the game - they have to get some cash flow beforehand and not just lump it all into the previous game, because if that game's sales crater early, you're dead. Stern is doing this right - they're making it easier to pump out the games, and their marketing is selling the next game every 6 months. Obviously they're much bigger than the others, but that cycle is keeping them in business.

#9781 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

I think I might know a guy...
I spoke with Josh this morning and he said he had been working on Houdini code over the week end, so we'll have something coming in the near future.

Woo! CAN we send him some tequila?

2 weeks later
#9797 4 years ago

Have not found any bugs as yet (only played one game but got a 2 million+ score). The code is WAY, WAY faster. Loads faster, plays faster, skips ahead faster. From that perspective alone, huge improvement. LOVE this game. My brother and father are over and both commented specifically about Houdini being “Awesome!”

1 week later
#9803 4 years ago

I can't and won't speak for Rosh about a firmware update.....
But, several people are beta testing large update from him that came in a few weeks ago.
Personally, my lower catapult is doing better.

The beta update is REALLY nice. It speeds up gameplay and lets you
Immediately skip callouts/instructions/etc. There are some animations/screens that could use a bit of refinement (e.g. the Extra Ball Lit screen in particular is noticeably different in font and style from the rest of the game). I have not noticed that it is performing differently in the mech department, although
My catapult has always worked quite well.

#9806 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

So far the beta seems focused on improving game and animation flow, new and improved light shows, but only minimal rule changes. I had a game crash, but it was not due to the update, but rather me hitting a certain one-in-a-thousand combination of tasks within a one or two second window of time (through serendipity, believe me), which Josh promptly fixed and will be in the final release.

awesome!

#9811 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

While working on my machine yesterday I decided to reposition my flipper rubbers. I simply pulled them off and rotated 180 degrees and re installed. Man! what a difference that made. I can hit the milk can better and my control at the end of the flipper seems better for other shots as well. I have the clear silicon rubber that came with the game and am thinking that they were maybe a little glazed on the face from play. I am wondering if slightly abrading the surface might not be a bad idea? Others have commented on changing out to the older style grippy flipper rubber.

Definitely rubber has proven a bit better for this (most?) games. Titan is also well regarded, although for now I’ve stuck with regular red or black rubber. Game plays awesome

1 week later
#9829 4 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Joining this club a little late. I was always a big fan of this title when I first played it a few yrs ago. I understand the knocks on the game, but like any I couldn't get away from how rewarding it was when I had a good game.. that is what makes me want to own one.
Fast forward to last month when I went looking for a new title. One thing that doesn't get talked about too much is value in pinball. "What am I getting for the money?". AP sure feels premium in build quality, and man these game became pretty affordable, bang for the buck compared with a Munsters pro for example, no contest.. Happy guy here. The only thing I hate after buying a new machine is reading the 197 page owners thread to catch up, glad to be in the club..

You’re not wrong. Most of the haters never actually played a well setup machine (or ever played one at all!).

I do think AP screwed up a bit with the 6.0-not-6.5 playfield pitch (everyone assumes 6.5), and shipping with PerfectPlay silicon instead of Titans or just regular rubber on the flippers. Those 2 things alone drastically change the game. And lowering the flippers just a hair makes a tremendous difference.

Anyway, it’s a humongous great value. Glad I still have mine from the original run, and it’s not going anywhere!

#9843 4 years ago
Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

Hello everyone. I have a fairly simple tech question. When playing the straight jacket escape mode with the flippers inverted, my left flipper lost the ability to move. Stated another way, it was stuck in the cradle position. I took the glass off, and manually adjusted it. It will go down manually, but once up will not fall.
I lifted the play field, and saw the spring hanging down. Can anyone let me know where the 2 end points for the spring go? I can’t find a Houdini diagram online. Also, does anyone think the issue is greater than reattaching the spring?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Just clarifying - are you asking how to hook up the flipper spring?

#9849 4 years ago
Quoted from VonPinball:

Me too! When will this Beta become the Alpha!?

It’s a race between POTC and Houdini!

#9851 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Full release of New code soon ?

The beta has a couple of things that need to be addressed but it’s definitely a Big step forward baby!

#9858 4 years ago

Fortunately the ramp currently is just a decoration mostly.
The impossible to make ramp shot is the only thing i dislike about the game.
Ive struggled with a fix for it but tbe only thing i come up with is a redesign.
I wish API would release an easier to hit ramp that bends to the right 1/2" and is slightly wider at the bottom. Or faces the flipper more.
For a main feature, it ends up being useless. Really too bad, it could have been epic.
Ive only hit it 50 times in the life of the game.
We all would but it.
Maybe freeplay40 or someone can come up with something.
It would open up the game dramatically.

In general, I agree with the ramp comments, but 50 lifetime?! I know for certain I hit it at least 10 times per game. It needs to be precise sure - probably more precise than a ramp should be ... but it’s not THAT hard. I concede it’s a bit too hard to be “fun” but it does feel great when you nail it

#9862 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It's a "harder than you think" shot but certainly not that bad, I can almost always back-hand it at least half-way (good enough on the Escape mode hurry-up) and often can complete it backhanded as well. The one time I'm almost certain to miss it is when the ball has just gone through the Milkcan loop. That combo is very difficult for me, as it's supposed to be I guess. It's so difficult that I think the associated multiplier should last much longer than it does.

I can also better hit the ramp when the ball is moving quickly - I think the milk can loop slows the ball down a bit too much and it’s hard to be that precise. It does make the secret agent stuff way too hard.

#9871 4 years ago

Dont get me wrong!
Houdini is an amazing accomplishment.
I do beleive that with code updates and a few adjustments, the game can be made into something much, much more.
I felt the same about my TH.
The game was flat and static.
I almost sold it.
But after a 2 year wait, a massive code update completely changed the game.
Now its a definite keeper.

Same here. I keep thinking about Selling TH and then I play A game. Now it’s STTNG that may go just because I can’t decide on anything else

#9877 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I don't have stage rejects either. I fixed my IJ so I understand the issue.

I wonder if it’s a similar fix too? I removed the scoop thing on my IJ and added the Pinbits dead stop foam. Brilliant! Helps with the Houdini milk can loop as well, apparently. All I know is IJTPA got a hell of a lot more fun when I could actually start modes

#9881 4 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I wonder if ‘drop dead foam’ can be put into the stage so that the rejects will go away?

Yep, pretty much what I was getting at. I think there were some folks who tried some adjustment to the stage but not sure if they used that foam

#9883 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Hi guys, my ball toss is going two inches to the right of the chest and hitting the backboard. Was getting 80% correct before. Is there a way to adjust it?

You can try different coil settings, and/or adjust the catapult. I believe there are 2 screws under the playfield that you can slightly (slightly!!) turn it in the direction you need

1 week later
#9900 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I have a question,if I have a ball locked in the inter right orbit lane and if that ball is released in regular play a ball will also be shot out of the shooter lane ,is this normal to have two balls in play?

Not unless you’re in a multiball - check your switches. I find the last switch that is attached to the ramp and counts the balls locked on the left side can sometimes not register properly. I had to adjust mine several times until I got it right. But it was just that one switch.

#9905 4 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

I’ve owned mine for a few months and I still can’t get a respectable score. Any advice on strategy, how to attack the game?

Play slower - you have to be pretty precise to finish the modes and hit the right shots. The stage modes appear to give the best points

#9907 4 years ago
Quoted from jfrazie:

Thinking about getting a Houdini.
Beautiful pin with a great theme, and I hear great reviews. I also understand there are several hard shots.
Would you guys consider this overall a difficult game that amateurs wouldn't enjoy?
Im not a great player but am always looking for games that noobs can enjoy when they are at my house. I also have 4 little kids that like to whack the flippers.
Ghostbusters left, TNA left because casual people didn’t enjoy it.
Should I look elsewhere? Just looking for a couple of opinions.
Thanks.

Well... yes there are some shots you need to be precise with. I would not compare it to Ghostbusters, which always feels to me like I'm just rolling the dice every time I hit the flipper button. But you do need to practice with Houdini. If you set it up with a generous ball save, I think people will enjoy it. But it's definitely not a casual player's favorite game. The kids may enjoy the catapult, but they will have a bit of a challenge getting a ball in there.

so that's the reality take on it.

Also good: build incredibly thoroughly. Powder coat on legs/armor is outstanding. Backbox is unreal - looks great, has very good audio. Shots are REALLY fun after you get them down - they are not traditional "pinball shots" where you feel like you have it dialed in in 5 minutes.

#9914 4 years ago

Glad to see so many people finally getting it.

#9924 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

It is a slow healing process and she is pretty frustrated by the limitations. Not being able to just jump in the car and run errands, not being able to shower by yourself, stuff we all take for granted that when suddenly you can't, well, very frustrating. Sort of like we you take the keys away from an elderly person who is not longer able to safely drive, but by doing so you have now taken away that freedom. Hopefully in a couple of more weeks she will be out of the sling and ready to start re-hab. Then we will see how much range of motion she will have lost.

Man, I am sorry to hear that - it is definitely frustrating! Lots of things have to change, and fast, and it’s hard to juggle everything. I’m definitely a poor shadow of my wife when it comes to the day to day stuff. You guys will get through it.

2 weeks later
#9968 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Rulewise I count only one flaw. When attempting missions, any errant switch hit will end and restart the mission. This includes triggering the flipper inlane switches or magnet stand ups. To me those are minor hits and shouldn’t count against the mission. It is close to impossible to slow and capture the ball, but then to have no allowance for these minor hits means that collecting 2 missions per game will be the norm and on a super game collect 3. But collecting 5 is a no go. Allowing for the minor hits to occur would still be plenty challenging and would offer hope.

I actually agree with this, although multiball does make it a bit easier - by accident!

#9974 4 years ago

I haven’t read all the way back but have you tried to lower the catapult coil strength?

#9982 4 years ago
Quoted from Nick36:

I've been having the same issue as well. My catapult would shoot on the right side of the trunk which usually means to lower your coil 1 strength down. But with 1 strength down it'll make the trunk sometimes, but most the time it'll just go to the left side of trunk.. Is this a power supply issue maybe?

lower the strength down to (26 ? i think) and lift the playfield and unscrew the catapult mount a tiny bit and move it so it throws more to the right. just a touch. then re-screw

1 week later
#9989 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

As of today...
I'm officially in the club......[quoted image]

You won’t be disappointed. Haven’t played a game on Houdini in a week or two (been work busy), but it never fails to be engaging and fun, and “one more game..”. Now hopefully another code release soon!

#9994 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I picked up a NIB Houdini yesterday.
The game has code version 18.5.4 installed.
I'm trying to do any update, but the only screen mesage I get is Audits and settings have been saved to USB.
The machine isn't taking the new code. What am I doing wrong? Ive tried several different USB sticks.

Congratulations on the new game! Houdini is a butt kicker

#9999 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Anyone experiencing a random dead flipper, coupled with inconsistent flipper power?

Do you have the power supply upgrade installed?

#10003 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

It has the upgraded power supply, yes. I’m almost positive this started happening after updating the code. Both flippers are wonky (half flips, weak/dead)

And which code ?

Man it’s been almost a year since the last official

#10006 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

The latest one on APs site. This was a NIB game, so it had original code

Ok that's bizarre. I've not had this issue. Josh may be able to point you to a previous version, or the new beta code

#10012 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

No offense but you're telling him to make certain the switches are clean on a NIB game?

This does Happen all the time. Factories are not exactly ultra-clean environments, and they do get installed by hand.

In their defense also- AP has been very clear the EOS switches don’t really have any measurable effect on the flippers, and are not officially supported

#10014 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

I think when Rosh releases the new code it will take this pin to the next level!

The beta was actually quite good, allowed you to skip a lot of animations and generally plays and resets faster

#10018 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Can anyone tell me if my Houdini has the upgraded power supply?[quoted image]

Yes. that silver box on the right.

#10024 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I doubt this has anything to do with the flipper dropping but the power supply connectors are really, really crappy. Those weird things with 3 holes that you shove the wires into.

The Wahl nuts. Maybe there’s not a great connection being made? I’m sure AP was trying to make the install simple. I know some owners have soldered the wires together - I’d be curious if they have these types of issues.

Just played a kick ass game! Houdini still holding up 2 years in!

#10026 4 years ago

It seems to be related to the lighting system per josh.
Hopefully itll be solved before i sell off my game...

That has got to be frustrating as hell for him. Josh, a case of tequila on me, wishing you luck tackling this flipper demon

#10037 4 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Thinking of joining the club. How is the play field holding up in comparison to the newer Sterns? Any major dimpling/cratering or chipping problems? Looking for a challenging hard pin, this looks to fit. Overall build quality?

I have both Houdini and Elvira - Houdini I have had since mid-2017, and Elvira (NIB) since last Saturday. Houdini has far fewer dimples than Elvira. I am not kidding in the slightest. I must have 500+ games on Houdini, and maybe 50 on Elvira. BTW Elvira is really awesome, save for the playfield...

#10045 4 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

I enjoy my Houdini.
It is a beautiful game and well built!
That said I will NEVER buy another AP game until the power problem is corrected.
I very much appreciate what Rosh is doing to help.
AP needs to get behind this and Rosh to fix the game.
I have dumped unneeded money and lots time installing the AP recommended power supply and EOS switchs.
Hope AP steps up to the plate on this.
Maybe Jim Platla or the president of the company Mr Vasani can help with resources.

You're in luck. Oktoberfest does not have any reports of the flipper power situation

#10053 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Keep in mind there are two different manufacturers of Houdini Playfields, they switched from Mirco to Bader and it's fairly obvious which is which as the Bader's don't have jeweled inserts. I've been told they switched because they had so many rejects from Mirco but I don't have any proof of this, just what I was told by people who worked for API at one time. That being said my early-production game has a Mirco PF and it looks fantastic with very little dimpling and no sign of any kind of clear pooling, lifting, chipping, etc. after almost two years of pretty significant play / use.

I did not know that - at least back then it sounds like Mirco wasn’t having the quality major paint adhesion issues (or is that why the rejects)0. I’ll have to check on mine which Playfield I have.

1 week later
#10089 4 years ago

IMO shaker first, if you're only adding
One thing. Side blades are great too, But notoriously thin and not the easiest install. Shaker though is integrated
Really well. And the knocker is as well

#10097 4 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I plugged my Houdini topper into the service outlet in the right front area of the cabinet. Then use the remote to turn it on and off.
Based on others’ recommendations, I finally ordered the knocker for Houdini to complement the shaker. Such a brutal, but intriguing game![quoted image]

I actually leave my topper on all the time. Looks awesome, it's been running for a year and a half, no issues!

#10101 4 years ago

My houdini.
Last update:
4-7-19
Anniversary coming up.
I really want some fixes.
I love this game, its never leaving!
(Yes im drinking...)

Same...

#10103 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Isn't the last update code version 19.10.24? (10/24/2019) Why not update?

That's a beta release, not available on the site. That code has not been made live, even though it's been 6 months! ( I know Josh has been busy on HW)

#10105 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Is the code update dead in the water now that folks have left AP?
I still feel this is an underrated game, it provides a good variety of game play for my small collection.

Josh Kugler led the herculean effort to code this game - I believe he's the only developer who has ever worked on it (I think? Maybe Ferret has helped out, but I think he started with Oktoberfest) . anyway Josh is still at AP. -AND- Barry who is now at JJP is still helping out on AP questions, which is mind-blowing.

#10120 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Haven't played Dialed In enough to be able to compare the two but as a Houdini owner for quite a while now I think this game is ideal for a home environment. I personally don't think it would be as good on location as it takes a while to figure out the rules and shots but once you do, it's a blast. Additionally, it is really good looking and solidly built. For a few minor issues that I've had, API's tech support was second to none (you can see their support and visibility all over this thread). For the right price, I don't think you can beat it.

I bought both DI and Houdini around the same time. They were both COMPLETELY different games obviously, but both fun in their own way. DI stayed here for about a year... Houdini hasn't left. I may buy DI again some day when prices go down (LOL) a bit. You are absolutely right about the rules. The game is so packed it does take a little bit of figuring out.

#10129 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

First game on beta code, the lightshow is definitely nice. I saw a ball tracking issue after stacked trunk/seance multiball where the multi ended with 2 balls in play. One then went into stage so I let the other drain and it ended my ball. One thing may have been "fixed" is the ability to get 2 extra balls on the same hoop in king of cards?
My flippers are nice and strong throughout. If the ball tracking issues could be fixed I feel this game is a gem.

I think those are some of the issues Josh mentioned that came up in the beta.

One other thing - the ball lock switches under the ramp are not always positioned well to detect the ball. Make sure you test those. They are a pain to get aligned correctly - the frontmost one (where the first ball will reside) was letting the ball drift just a little bit to the side, so it was not contacting the switch consistently. Check the ball guide and see if you can gently bend it inward if this is a problem.

#10157 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I keep seeing posts about the upgraded power supply. Can someone give me a summary of what the situation is there? I just got my game nib. Would my game have it or no?

Probably not - you can lift the playfield and check if there is an additional power box in the back of the game. There's a photo a few pages back. The main power supply is at the rear of the game; the upgrade (another silver rectangular box) will be installed to the left or right of it

#10173 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

So the one on the left is the original and the one on the right is the upgrade? What about the ones that are one big long box as seen above? They don't look like either of these.

Those are the ones Josh was referring to. The newest shipped power supply one is a single component.

#10190 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

I understood from the get go that a 28 yr old machine would need significant coaxing. And its been quite rewarding fixing it up. I would expect a new machine to require significantly less attention, am I wrong? I must have botched my profile there is only 1 DW, lol.

It has been the ONLY machine I’ve not had to tinker extensively with. My catapult worked perfect out of the box, even before the power upgrade. Game is awesome. My second NIB (first was DI) but I’ve also had IMDN, POTC, WOZ (technically second owner). Just bought Elvira 3. All required some tinkering. Houdini is killer

#10191 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

I understood from the get go that a 28 yr old machine would need significant coaxing. And its been quite rewarding fixing it up. I would expect a new machine to require significantly less attention, am I wrong? I must have botched my profile there is only 1 DW, lol.

New machines still take setup, and sometimes adjustments are learned about later on once they’ve started shipping. Just one of those things - these aren’t video games!

#10203 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Funny finding all this activity on the Houdini thread this morning, first the Memory that FB highlighted from two years ago was of Houdini the day I got it then my Gmail has a message from Michael Grant the new head of sales and marketing at API thanking me for being a customer (yes I registered my game).
I agree with all the comments about how good the game is so I won't reiterate them here but I do highly recommend the game and think it's a comparative bargain especially the HUO prices for used ones. Here's why I think the game wasn't a hit:
1) New company that a lot of operators probably didn't seriously consider or trust.
2) Theme, I love it but many don't or are ho-hum about it.
3) Art and animations: It's difficult to say if Houdini's art was more harshly criticized here than other new games because the art critics are rampant and vocal here and at least one will point out the minute "flaws" in every game. I don't notice those things so as long as something looks cohesively pleasant to me I'm good with it. Personally I think Houdini is beautiful, especially the playfield which is where I'm always looking anyway. Animations could be better but they fit the theme and time frame of the theme so I think they are completely acceptable.
4) "Shots are too tight" and "they didn't do a white wood so geometry is broken" - Joe Balcer should never have told people about skipping the white wood as some nay-sayers latched onto it like it's some kind of smoking gun. I appreciate why he said it but at least on Pinside that kind of transparency will just be used against you by the haters. As others have said the shots are tight but not overly so, especially in a home game where they become extremely satisfying when you find them.
At the risk of repeating myself though the biggest issues I've had with this game have been persistent since day one - intermittent weak / half flips during Seance MB and worse when stacked with other MBs, and ball-tracking issues. The first I can attribute to the magnets and how much else is all going on at the same time but the second is more frustrating and can completely hose up league / tournament / competitive games.

I basically sent a response to Michael Grant saying almost the same stuff - I think the ball tracking issue is far more important to fix overall than the flipper issue in general, and as you said I don't think the art is as important as others

#10206 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Well I mean, if you played 4 games and it looks good then the code must be solid. The rest of us with ball tracking issues must have loose optos from opening the door to install beta code.
sorry couldn't resist.

The ball tracking issue only appears under certain circumstances, so.....

#10236 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I have to admit that I had sort of a poor impression of this game because it seemed like people sold them quickly after buying them, the prices kept falling, and I used to listen to that idiot kaneda trash it all the time... But I've had it a little over a week now and it's amazing. I'm glad I took a chance on it.

Sorry you had that impression - there's a WHOLE bunch of us who have had it for years now. Every game gets passed around a bit after it's been out a while. It doesn't get boring, that's for sure!

#10238 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Precisely why I don’t care about someone else’s opinion of a game.. play and buy what you love. Look how wrong Kaneda was on JJP POC lol

He’s been wrong about pretty much every recent game in the last 2 or 3 years

#10245 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I've been running the beta code for a few weeks now. No issues to report so far but the ball seems to eject from the scoop with less delay (which is good). Also, the light show is fantastic!

And overall the beta code is MUCH more responsive. You can skip animations quicker, the game doesn't pause for long periods of time. Great update

#10271 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Okay, so I have never been able to figure this out, and I’ve had the game for about one and a half years (or longer).
Other than seeing the the stage modes on the small screen, is there a way to see how many you have completed? With the ball locks, the two locks on the playfield light up when each is locked.
Anything light up on the playfield to you know the number of completed stage modes?

I'm not in front of the game, but don't the links of the chains show your progress in the Jailbreaks/stage modes/movie modes/etc?

#10310 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

On the suoer awesome pinball show episode 8, Josh said there is a cheat to reach Master Magician Mode. He said those who have thr beta code have a clue to what it is. Any of you testers stumble on this yet?

No idea. Maybe he changed the Morse code on the start button to give us a hint?

#10324 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Loaded the new Beta code. Quick and easy. 20 games in, like most everyone else that has reported back, no major issue to report.
Unfortunately, my personal experience is that the new code apparently hasn’t conquered how to make a terrible player any better.

LOL. Make sure you've lowered the flippers a touch, as was suggested above. makes a humongous difference, just moving them like 1mm lower

#10339 3 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

What is the recommended degree pitch for Houdini? Thought I read somewhere too keep all legs at lowest position but not sure.

Lower your flippers, as was mentioned above. START from the legs screwed all the way in, get the game level (mine is in my basement where the floor slopes slightly), then screw the back legs out a few turns so it's raised up a 1/4" - 1/2" more

#10343 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Thanks. I think these instructions are on the website but I only read far enough to see there was a kit so I didn't know that was all. I guess I could just buy one.
I'm still trying to get my game dialed in. One problem I keep running into is the ball gets stuck on the lip of the stage door when it's open sometimes, and when it goes into ball search mode, the door just closes on it making it stuck. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy way to fix it?

Make the back legs a tiny bit taller

#10365 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I played a few games on the beta code before going back to the last release. It felt pretty wonky and laggy to me, and I did encounter a few ball tracking issues. I didn't keep close track of issues, but I'd say the stuff on the screen had a hard time keeping up.

Might. Be worth trying again ...

1 week later
#10421 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Ok. Now I'm frustrated. I requested the skill shot kit over a month ago and they confirmed this morning that it still has not shipped, but I've seen several people in this thread put in more recent orders and have them shipped. I guess they only care about new money coming in and not supporting people that already paid for their NIB machines.

Yeah I don’t think they are prioritizing like that. Take a look a few pages back. The AP guys are on top of it. Possibly you got mixed up in the queue, or more likely your part wasn’t ready and others had an easier-to-source part.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
959 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rdoyle1978. You are on page 3 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/3?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.