20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 297.
#1851 6 years ago

My girlfriend loves the D, so if you have any on discount let me know.

#1852 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

My girlfriend loves the D, so if you have any on discount let me know.

Say WHAT?!

#1853 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

When the heads get assembled (computer, display, amp, speakers ), the serial number is assigned to the machine at that point. While we were waiting on parts they built over 60 heads and they don't necessarily grab them in numerical order when putting them on a cabinet. Once we get through the inventory of assembled heads, they will be closer to being in order but will never 100% reflect what number machine it was off the line. If you look at the attached photo you will see those closet to the camera are numbered in the 50s

A 'D' means there is some minor defect some place on the playfield that was identified during inspection or assembly. Odds are you would never spot them unless you were searching for it. My guess is most other companies would not even consider these things to be a defect. So far on the games that are noted with Ds I could not see the defect on my own and even when told where it was I still could not see it at first, only after looking at it from just the right angle would I see it. Regardless, these games are designated to be used in showrooms or as show games for distributors, not for customers.. I also believe distributors are being sent images/info of the issues first to be sure they are okay with it.

Games continue to ship, but certainly not as fast as any of us would like.
Monday morning I saw the names of at least five different distributors on pieces of paper taped to packaged up machines waiting for pickup. Later in the day I watched for a few minutes as a half dozen were being loaded into a FEDEX semi trunk for at least two different distributors (I know at least a couple were for Nitro, so one of those was likely transptr4u's game).
I was just in the factory a few minutes ago and I see a half dozen games at the loading dock, a couple have the name of an east coast distributor and at least one for a mitten distributor, did not notice per se how others are marked. I don't know all the ins and outs of the order games ship, but like it is when you put money down with the distributor, First in, First out I believe is a big driver of it. However, balanced with that is getting games to as many distributors as possible so they can have one in their showroom, or nearby on location or to take to shows.

Any chance you saw Cointaker on that list was told Friday would be delivery day!!! I can’t keep myself any calmer. Very excited!

#1854 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Any chance you saw Cointaker on that list was told Friday would be delivery day!!! I can’t keep myself any calmer. Very excited!

Hope PinballStar is on there soon!!

#1855 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

A 'D' means there is some minor defect some place on the playfield that was identified during inspection or assembly. Odds are you would never spot them unless you were searching for it. My guess is most other companies would not even consider these things to be a defect. So far on the games that are noted with Ds I could not see the defect on my own and even when told where it was I still could not see it at first, only after looking at it from just the right angle would I see it. Regardless, these games are designated to be used in showrooms or as show games for distributors, not for customers.. I also believe distributors are being sent images/info of the issues first to be sure they are okay with it.

Now that's what I call full disclosure.

#1856 6 years ago

To funny. lol Agreed, Get Joe at Pinball Star off his butt and moving machines!!

#1857 6 years ago

OK,kiddos,waiting is part of new ownership!! Us GB owners waited 9-10 MO. for already paid for pins to be delivered! Then the B66 wait for "broke inbox"pins!!Relax,join the Cannibis club,breath deeply,chill!!

#1858 6 years ago

Now in our showroom. Heading to Nashville to Game Galaxy on Saturday then Huntsville to Ronnie Rayguns the following Saturday. Only there for a few hours at each location then back to our showroom. Come check it out

F860468C-C149-4E07-B20A-282E6768B431 (resized).jpegF860468C-C149-4E07-B20A-282E6768B431 (resized).jpeg

#1859 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious if any "show deals" are available?
I would be up for buying a game with minor D that gets taken to a show for others to use and then I take it home from the show to put on route; assuming there is a price break for this.

Quoted from djreddog:

so if you have any on discount let me know.

Quoted from flashinstinct:

Now that's what I call full disclosure.

Given the limited supply of machines, I don't think you will see any "show deals" at this time, it is possible that down the road if we continue to have 'D' games those would be available at a discount. Personally, I would have no issue with any of the games that had a D, I was ready to just take one as mine, but, I'll have to wait, until, oh, probably machine 500 or so. Funny thing is, I think most folks, not all, would be totally fine with these playfields, unless they did not know about the defect first, then they would be outraged when they found it. I see Larry just posted a photo of his showroom/show machine, that might have been a 'D' game and betting few who see it on the tour he is taking it on, will be able to spot the defect.

Any chance you saw Cointaker on that list

Don't recall, the distributor name is typically on a piece of paper taped to the box, but I only notice those that are facing me as I walk by. On Monday when I was back there they were sitting 4 or 5 wide, 3 deep, so not like I could see more than a few names.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hope PinballStar is on there soon!!

Definitely saw at least a couple in back today, but, not sure how many and suspect at least one goes into Joe's showroom.

Obviously production is still ramping up and I know distributors are just as anxious as you guys to get their machines. But as I have said, quality before quantity, and while I expect there will sometimes be an issue on a machine out of the box, I really don't want to see a thread like some others where it seems that every unboxed machine has significant issues. You will almost always need to adjust coil settings for the catapults. Production was slowed today, as they were making changes to the line based on what they have learned so far from a flow and timing standpoint, as well as what has been seen by Joe, Jim and myself during inspection.

Quoted from flipnout1:

Now in our showroom.

Great to see another in its new home. Enjoy!

I'll probably need to adjust that default escape champ score a little, I had close to a million today when testing 'The Great Jail Escape' mini-magician mode, and had a much, much bigger score on the "Houdini Movie Binge" mini-magician mode -- had 2x playfield Multiplier when I started it, and then got lucky and stacked it with Trunk MB -- scores for completing a movie during the movie binge (which is an add-a-ball style mode) are multiplied by balls in play, so I was already scoring 8X when I completed the first movie and then 10X for the second. A little concerned that the scoring on it might be to lucrative, but can't base that on testing results. For full disclosure, I did not actually complete all of the escapes and do all of the movie modes to get to the mini-magician modes, I just made the machine think I did. Having said that, I have completed all 5 of each previously, but not sure I have done all 5 of each in the same game, yet.

#1860 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Get Joe at Pinball Star off his butt and moving machines!!

You need to let me know when you get yours, I have that bottle of champaign you gave me sitting on my desk waiting.

#1861 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

feel free to pm me and come by the house and try it out!

Free beer and snacks!

#1862 6 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

Free beer and snacks!

You know where everything is ...

#1863 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You need to let me know when you get yours, I have that bottle of champaign you gave me sitting on my desk waiting.

You already earned that Long ago with your amazing support and feedback to the buyers! I was over at GAP Saturday and again today to (test) your teams awesome work of art. Loving it and more than willing to wait my turn for this great game. For now I'll just hang out with Mike (GAP) and use his! lol 3 on order for me (few friends wanted to group them). I certainly hope your team was allowed to take a breather after your mad rush last year to pull this off. Ready and waiting patiently...

However..... Please wait to drink that After you guys build and inspect my games! lol

#1864 6 years ago

FYI Chicago Land
Just Dropped off a Houdini for route, to Gavin' s Game service (Aka Gavin Miller ) This will be on location in one of his stops. I'm sure it will be put on the pin map locator as well today or tomorrow. I will Post as well where it is.

I will also be setting up another Houdini locally in a Nw Indiana for a location to be determined.

Was at the factory yesterday. Thongs are moving along at a quick pace at AP, as Rosh posted pics of earlier. Everything looks great there, lots of assembly line adjusting, playfields being populated, cabinets being assembled, games being boxed, and a lot of dedication for a great product going out!!!

Thinking about a Houdini night for the local or non local pinheads somewhere to come out and play (with food and beverages) for an evening on Pincades.

I will be attending some shows throughout the spring/early summer schedule, (Allentown, Kentucky Arcade Expo, MGC, maybe Ohio and a few other to be determined, if your looking for a new or used pin LMK.

Pincades
JT

#1865 6 years ago

Sounds like DeepRoot is dreaming of making their own Houdini?

http://thisweekinpinball.com/

"TWIP: Are there any updates on deeproot coming to agreements with American Pinball?

RM: Our attorney and AP’s attorney have traded emails over the last few months. As of today, there has not been an agreement. On or about November 29, 2017, John Popadiuk elected to exercise a provision in his contract with American Pinball (‘AP’) permitting John to license all work performed for AP for $99. While much of the John’s (original) Houdini design occurred before his work with AP, the final touches while with AP were intentionally scrapped by AP in September 2016. It is fortunate AP provided John/Zidware with the ability to retain that amazing discarded work. Mr. Popadiuk/Zidware have since assigned the referenced licenses to deeproot Tech, LLC. deeproot is excited to add John’s (i.e. the original) Houdini design to its portfolio of games."

#1866 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

"TWIP: Are there any updates on deeproot coming to agreements with American Pinball?
RM: Our attorney and AP’s attorney have traded emails over the last few months. As of today, there has not been an agreement. On or about November 29, 2017, John Popadiuk elected to exercise a provision in his contract with American Pinball (‘AP’) permitting John to license all work performed for AP for $99. While much of the John’s (original) Houdini design occurred before his work with AP, the final touches while with AP were intentionally scrapped by AP in September 2016. It is fortunate AP provided John/Zidware with the ability to retain that amazing discarded work. Mr. Popadiuk/Zidware have since assigned the referenced licenses to deeproot Tech, LLC. deeproot is excited to add John’s (i.e. the original) Houdini design to its portfolio of games."

Wow.... what a low blow. I’d totally support AP over that nonsense.

#1867 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

LOL AP Houdini is shipping, deeprot Houdini is ... uh, in a portfolio?

#1868 6 years ago

JPop has a knack for figuring out how to piss the community off. What a gift..... and AP follow lead? Remarkable. Dumb.

#1869 6 years ago

The whole Deeproot thing sounds like an elaborate setup for a hilarious train wreck documentary...you can't make these characters up.

#1870 6 years ago

Out of respect .. Somebody please start a Deeproot thread... Not appropriate here... IMO

#1871 6 years ago

From the deeproot interview ..."RM: When the masterpiece is ready, we will let everyone know".

I wanna know if AP's Houdini will be a masterpiece also.

#1872 6 years ago

I have had several games on Houdini at Analog in Davenport, IA.
I will give this disclaimer. It is a routed machine. It is in sore need of adjustment, Pops are not sensitive, so not much action there. This alone kinda ruins game play. Flippers power is turned down. Shots can still be made, but power is a bit low.

My first impression: cosmetically, very beautiful. Nice integration of LCD. I wish there was a feature to cancel mid game tutorials, or at least speed them up. You get it after a few games.

Game play? For a first game from a new company, I will compare it to my AMH from Spooky pinball. The AMH had a better bounce and feel to it. Felt more satisfying and solid. While the AMH was challenging, the shots were still doable.
The Houdini feels dead on the bounce. The flippers plain do not feel right. While I am sure one will get used to it, it still feels weird. Maybe different rubbers may help on the flippers.
The shots....Way too tight. you almost have to be perfect on the shot to make them. Which I guess means dumping a bunch of quarters in the machine for practice.
I guess at a buck a play, I would want the machine to be a bit better dialed in. Or maybe I am just spoiled.

#1873 6 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Was at the factory yesterday. Thongs are moving along at a quick pace at AP, as Rosh posted pics of earlier. Everything looks great there...

JT

Is that a typo, because if not I want to see those pics...or not, depending on who's wearing them.

#1874 6 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

I will give this disclaimer. It is a routed machine. It is in sore need of adjustment, Pops are not sensitive, so not much action there. This alone kinda ruins game play. Flippers power is turned down. Shots can still be made, but power is a bit low.
My first impression: cosmetically, very beautiful. Nice integration of LCD. I wish there was a feature to cancel mid game tutorials, or at least speed them up. You get it after a few games.
Game play? For a first game from a new company, I will compare it to my AMH from Spooky pinball. The AMH had a better bounce and feel to it. Felt more satisfying and solid. While the AMH was challenging, the shots were still doable.
The Houdini feels dead on the bounce. The flippers plain do not feel right. While I am sure one will get used to it, it still feels weird. Maybe different rubbers may help on the flippers.
The shots....Way too tight. you almost have to be perfect on the shot to make them. Which I guess means dumping a bunch of quarters in the machine for practice.
I guess at a buck a play, I would want the machine to be a bit better dialed in. Or maybe I am just spoiled.

My experience is almost completely opposite. Flippers feel like every other flippers on the market. Shots, with the exception of milkcan, are far from tight and very rewarding. I own AMH as well and Houdini is much more controlled, AMH is chaotic bouncy etc, which I’m also fine with. Full review to come soon

#1875 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

My experience is almost completely opposite. Flippers feel like every other flippers on the market. Shots, with the exception of milkcan, are far from tight and very rewarding. I own AMH as well and Houdini is much more controlled, AMH is chaotic bouncy etc, which I’m also fine with. Full review to come soon

Like today
heh, I just like to push ya Zach!

#1876 6 years ago

Like today
heh, I just like to push ya Zach!

Still editing but get distracted and end up playing Houdini instead of editing. Haha. Keep finding new things like the name of the safe company on the backglass. So many easter eggs and pinball appreciation

#1877 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Well, I did put a disclaimer that this was a routed machine. Is the one you play in your home where you get to dial it in to your tastes?

#1878 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Still editing but get distracted and end up playing Houdini instead of editing. Haha. Keep finding new things like the name of the safe company on the backglass. So many easter eggs and pinball appreciation

How did the settings mission go in terms or reducing "Wordiness" now that you have learned the game more? Were you able to dial it down how you like? From what Rosh showed earlier, it seemed very easy to fully control the vocals on each kind of mission etc.

#1879 6 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

Well, I did put a disclaimer that this was a routed machine. Is the one you play in your home where you get to dial it in to your tastes?

I hear ya. Yeah it’s in my home but fortunately not much dialing in needed. Hoping you can play it more with properly working mechs. Flipper are actually super strong out of the box which I turned down one notch. Maybe they turned it down too much. All coils can be adjusted like JJP which I love

#1880 6 years ago

How did the settings mission go in terms or reducing "Wordiness" now that you have learned the game more? Were you able to dial it down how you like? From what Rosh showed earlier, it seemed very easy to fully control the vocals on each kind of mission etc.

Yeah it is a bit wordy in areas but I haven’t minded it enough to change it, plus I like the instructions during modes and Houdini facts and history during gameplay

#1881 6 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

I wish there was a feature to cancel mid game tutorials

Hold in both flippers for a second, and it will skip all of the intro chit-chat (that should be the default setting, well, at least it is in current code, I'd have to check if it was different on 18.1.1 which is what that machine shipped with, I believe they are now on 18.1.10 (which is what Zach is also on).

Quoted from maddog14:

Pops are not sensitive, so not much action there. This alone kinda ruins game play. Flippers power is turned down. Shots can still be made, but power is a bit low.

Did you ask them to turn up the flipper strength? I can assure you, they can be made strong enough to damage the back of the machine (although we do limit it before you get to that level). Pops might need to be a touch stronger as well to get the right action. It is key to get good pop action.

#1883 6 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

I spoke with the guys over at Analog and they have increased power on the flippers and then pops and said it is 'much better'.

#1884 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I spoke with the guys over at Analog and they have increased power on the flippers and then pops and said it is 'much better'.

I am going to have to give Rich a hard time now. He never listens to me.
Now I can't wait to go give it another flip or two.

#1885 6 years ago

Mine wasn’t sent to CT.

#1886 6 years ago

Any tips before I head to 257?

#1887 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Any tips before I head to 257?

Keep your eye on the ball, use the flippers

A few quick tips . . .

Seance MB can get lit pretty quick if you are 'off' and missing the main shots and instead hitting the mini stand-ups, but try to start a mode at the stage (or movie) before starting seance.

Don't forget, to use flippers to control lower lane lights, especially off the ramp, to spell FILM to light a movie mode (then shoot inner loop)

Starting modes via Stage Alley doubles their value, also opens the stage with a single hit vs bashing it or hitting the key target.

If you hit the lower left loop, you need to be ready to then shoot the ramp to increase playfield multiplier. Sometimes the magnets will help you get the lower loop.

the inner loop shot is pretty easy to make backhanded from the right, depending on flipper settings, the ramp can also be backhanded.

If there is any issue with the machine, let me know. Have not been there for awhile to check on it.

#1888 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

In the factory photos , what is the difference between a HOU1234 and a HOU1234D

The "D".

#1889 6 years ago

Snap!

alligator snap.gifalligator snap.gif

#1890 6 years ago

Apparently there is a Houdini that's just been put on location in Dallas @ Cidercade. Can't wait to give that a shot.

#1891 6 years ago

Mine shipped from distro today.. Should be home Tuesday or Wednesday... Snap!

#1892 6 years ago

Had to add a little razzle dazzle to Houdini

- Pin Stadium Lights
- Trough Lighting
- Scoop Lighting
- Purple Titan sling silicones

F22207BC-A51F-4667-A437-FE3104704F6F (resized).jpegF22207BC-A51F-4667-A437-FE3104704F6F (resized).jpeg

9480C192-72E3-4545-A122-2C89D094A06D (resized).jpeg9480C192-72E3-4545-A122-2C89D094A06D (resized).jpeg

BCC9D8FA-B144-4B6D-B1CF-B9A8A4D30EA1 (resized).jpegBCC9D8FA-B144-4B6D-B1CF-B9A8A4D30EA1 (resized).jpeg

F0D54D3A-1E18-4CB8-A83C-2384F21E4DC3 (resized).jpegF0D54D3A-1E18-4CB8-A83C-2384F21E4DC3 (resized).jpeg

C7ADC061-9D0A-4E03-A230-5C8FF5D3A1AD (resized).jpegC7ADC061-9D0A-4E03-A230-5C8FF5D3A1AD (resized).jpeg

1DA85F14-9CF4-4120-99BD-7E3C0863D61E (resized).jpeg1DA85F14-9CF4-4120-99BD-7E3C0863D61E (resized).jpeg

#1893 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

- Pin Stadium Lights
- Trough Lighting
- Scoop Lighting

I like what you did there. Even though I'm not big into adding mods onto games.

#1894 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

I like what you did there. Even though I'm not big into adding mods onto games.

Yeah. I know... you are all about stock pins

#1895 6 years ago

Really looks good Zach. Nice job.

#1896 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

- Pin Stadium Lights
- Trough Lighting
- Scoop Lighting

Love the look Zach. When I get mine, I would love to be ready to add something similar ... what trough light system did you go with or was it DIY? I build my own scoop lights but sometimes the trough strips are just so easy to buy and pop in there.

#1897 6 years ago

Just got home, was up at the AP factory today. Got to spend some time with Joe and Rosh. I picked up one that im putting out on location in St Louis next week. I did get one of the "D" games, and wow, if this is how picky they are going to be with quality control. You will be VERY happy.

My machine was not boxed up yet. SO I ask Ryan, can you show me the "defect". He told me to take some time and see if i could find it. I did know that mine had a defect near the right sling, so i concentrated on that. After about 5 minutes, i still say nothing. Then he pulls out a piece of paper that has my serial number on it has a picture of the playfield, with a marker circling where the defect was. I look back at the playfield, and still never saw it. If QC is that picky where i couldn't find a flaw when it is pointed out to me. Then im going to be very happy with this company

THanks for taking the time to talk today guys, it was a pleasure coming up there

Troy

#1898 6 years ago

Looking good Zach. The Pinstadium lights are pretty incredible. Any idea when the Houdini review will be released? Thank you.

#1899 6 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Just got home, was up at the AP factory today. Got to spend some time with Joe and Rosh. I picked up one that im putting out on location in St Louis next week. I did get one of the "D" games, and wow, if this is how picky they are going to be with quality control. You will be VERY happy.
My machine was not boxed up yet. SO I ask Ryan, can you show me the "defect". He told me to take some time and see if i could find it. I did know that mine had a defect near the right sling, so i concentrated on that. After about 5 minutes, i still say nothing. Then he pulls out a piece of paper that has my serial number on it has a picture of the playfield, with a marker circling where the defect was. I look back at the playfield, and still never saw it. If QC is that picky where i couldn't find a flaw when it is pointed out to me. Then im going to be very happy with this company
THanks for taking the time to talk today guys, it was a pleasure coming up there
Troy

Your Welcome! LOL

#1900 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Looks great! When you guys review the game, please speak to why you decided to add these mods (i.e. a real need or a preference). Also, when you do your video "tour" of the game, make sure we know if this was before or after the mods. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/38?hl=brewinbombers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.