20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 297.
#1702 6 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

ok tell me if you can see it now

Yep.

#1703 6 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Video
» YouTube video

Never get tired of that trunk shot. I hope the music doesn't get old fast. That robot mode music, while probably authentic, was irritating quickly.

#1704 6 years ago

One of the voice actors sounds like George Takei, Ohhh myyy.

#1705 6 years ago

Pincades
#2, #3 Games are in the wild: Geeks Mania , Madison WI. &
Analog Arcade Bar, Davenport Iowa

Have Fun
JT

geeksmaniahoudidi (resized).jpeggeeksmaniahoudidi (resized).jpeg

#1706 6 years ago

If rosh has such a document for 1.0, if that's what the launch code designation is, could we see a rule sheet for it? Even if it's a messy, scribbled assembly of notes

I'd love to see how the code evolves from the outset, with the aid of patch notes.

A lot of us are going to struggle to find one to play, any time soon.

#1707 6 years ago

Have to say the left habitrail that replaced the plastic really gives this a more quality solid look! Well done on all the changes and can't wait to play this more somewhere close by. If as good as it looks will add to collection!

#1708 6 years ago

Since it is shipping I assume it has a manual. Could you provide a link for that? I'm mostly interested in what the service menus look like.

Thank you and congratulations!

#1709 6 years ago

Congrats on shipping the first production game. As that apparently marks the start of production, does this mean that starting this week games will be rolling off the assembly line?

#1710 6 years ago

I've been a little critical of the animations in this thread. Great American Pinball just posted probably the best video of the LCD animations and they look pretty fantastic. GAP's camera picks up a lot more detail and the colors are more clear and vivid than Josh's video. Looks great. More excited than ever to get Houdini.

#1711 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I've been a little critical of the animations in this thread. Great American Pinball just posted probably the best video of the LCD animations and they look pretty fantastic. GAP's camera picks up a lot more detail and the colors are more clear and vivid than Josh's video. Looks great. More excited than ever to get Houdini.
» YouTube video

Very cool video! And very cool of you to man up that you’ve changed your mind!

#1712 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

» YouTube video

I think the art is good. The animation and transitions still need a bit of work, but they've obviously improved a great deal since the early days.

#1713 6 years ago

That’s the best video of Houdini yet. I’m glad that GAP has been so proactive in posting them.

#1714 6 years ago

Going to be following this game closely. I hope the reliability proves to be solid over the course of the next year. If it is, I see myself picking one up

#1715 6 years ago

wow. This looks very impressive. Will be following closely as well.

#1716 6 years ago

First I want to thank all of you for your support and congratulatory posts regarding our first shipments. It has been a crazy 14 months since Joe started with a blank piece of paper to draw the layout and me with one to do the rules. We are very happy with how things have turned out and are thrilled to be getting these into homes and locations.

Let me try to respond to some of questions and comments that have come up. I'll probably miss a few, so feel free to re-ask if I did not answer it. A lot of posts have been made the last few days on multiple threads.

Quoted from vicjw66:

One of the voice actors sounds like George Takei, Ohhh myyy.

It has been surprising to me that no one has brought this up before, it is just one or two calls that really sound like him, but I noticed it the very first time I heard them. We have joked about having the voice guy to an 'oh my'

Quoted from rubberducks:

If rosh has such a document for 1.0, if that's what the launch code designation is, could we see a rule sheet for it? Even if it's a messy, scribbled assembly of notes

I often say that just because others do it, does not make it right (something Joe is probably tired of hearing me say), have said that, I don't believe, and some of you may not like this, that pinball software should be versioned like 1.0 or .78. To be honest, I'm not sure when Houdini will be 'completed'. I guess it will be done when either I run out of ideas on how to make it better or I just get sick and tired of working on it or that 100% of my time is needed on game 2. Houdini will use release dates for its 'version'. Each update will have release notes covering what is in it and highlighting things of significance. The version that went out on the first few machines was 17.12.29 and the machines that ship this week will likely be on 18.1.3. I expect there to be pretty frequent updates over the next two months and then they should slow down. Updating is quick and easy, and you don't have to install every update, and typically you can just install whichever is the latest update. In addition, some updates might be marked with a .T at the end, indicating it is a test release that has new functionality, but might not be as fully tested as we would like, so only those who like to be on the bleeding edge should install those.

So, what is in 17.12.29. The recent This week in Pinball story covered it pretty well. http://thisweekinpinball.com/houdini-deep-dive-overview-likes-dislikes-code/. So, all of the stage modes are in the game, all of the movie modes are in the game, all of the magic shop items are in the game (not to say I won't add more and there are a few Easter eggs in there as well), all of the jail escape hurry ups are in there as are all of the secret mission combos. The two outlane modes are in there, as is the milkcan playfield multiplier. Both seance and trunk multiball are also in there. What is not in there are the mini-magician modes for the movies, jail escapes and secret missions as well as the master magician mode. The movie and jail escape magician modes are well underway, and should be in one of the January releases. The secret mission magician mode and the master magician mode will follow not long after.

Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Since it is shipping I assume it has a manual. Could you provide a link for that? I'm mostly interested in what the service menus look like.

There is a manual, currently about 130 pages, but it is still being worked on and is not yet ready for distribution. It has been on my list to do a walk through of the API Cockpit (what we call out service menu) so folks can see how it works and what is in there. I'll try to get to that this week, but in the meantime, at the bottom of the post are some screenshots to whet your appetite.

Quoted from konjurer:

My office where the machine is has terrible lighting for recording game play (but good for working on a computer all day) and GAP did a very nice job of a capturing game play and showing off the display. I think our animations are pretty good and were getting some criticism that might have been misplaced, but at the same time, I knew that until you really get to see them in person and see them in game play, it would be hard to really see the variety and vibrancy of them. I don't expect them to be the best around, but I think most will find they do an excellent job in bringing the game to life (and obviously are so far beyond DMD it is laughable). And as I have said, I do plan to polish them up some more as time permits. At the same time, animations are the least important part of the game when playing it, and I spend a disproportionate about of time on animations relative to the value to the player, but, that is just the nature of it.

Here are the screenshots of the cockpit . . .

PyProcGameHD____CTRL-C_to_exit_.png (resized).pngPyProcGameHD____CTRL-C_to_exit_.png (resized).png

PyProcGameHD____CTRL-C_to_exit_.png (resized).pngPyProcGameHD____CTRL-C_to_exit_.png (resized).png

switch_test_example (resized).pngswitch_test_example (resized).png

PyProcGameHD____CTRL-C_to_exit_ (resized).pngPyProcGameHD____CTRL-C_to_exit_ (resized).png

PyProcGameHD____CTRL-C_to_exit_ (resized).pngPyProcGameHD____CTRL-C_to_exit_ (resized).png

#1717 6 years ago

Holy cow! Some real innovation here too! One suggestion I have is that once you consider this done NEVER CHANGE IT FOR ANY FUTURE GAMES.

That way someone charging through the menu can develop muscle memory and just know: Enter/Test, +, +, Enter etc etc

#1718 6 years ago

Congrats from my side too!

I'm hopefull it'll make it to europe soon.

#1719 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Holy cow! Some real innovation here too! One suggestion I have is that once you consider this done NEVER CHANGE IT FOR ANY FUTURE GAMES.
That way someone charging through the menu can develop muscle memory and just know: Enter/Test, +, +, Enter etc etc

The tests area can use an specific tests (use the game logo if it has a sub menu for more then one thing in it) like stern and others as well as having coils and switches in there own area. Even the old WMS games had some stuff like that in the test menu for the games that needed it.

You one looks to have one for just one game only thing.

#1720 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

I have is that once you consider this done NEVER CHANGE IT FOR ANY FUTURE GAMES.

Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

The tests area can use an specific tests (use the game logo if it has a sub menu for more then one thing in it) like stern and others as well as having coils and switches in there own area. Even the old WMS games had some stuff like that in the test menu for the games that needed it.
You one looks to have one for just one game only thing.

If you look at the menus you will see that the test menu first has switches, then coils then LEDs then display, since those items that every game would have. Then it moves to cabinet (which most will likely have ) and then at the end is the 'stage', which is obviously unique to Houdini. The interface is designed that we can add more items if needed. Well at least a couple more. If we need a bunch more for a game, we would just use a submenu. You will notice on the settings page that the second items is the H from Houdini, and this is the 'features' settings, now while those are unique to Houdini, hard to see a game not having feature settings. The utilities area also has some game specific things, but again, the 'common items' (clear balls, reset audits) will likely stay in the same places (although I doubt many are using muscle memory for those items, well maybe for clear balls). So, while I make no promises, I would expect that the basic navigation of the cockpit will not change.

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I'm hopefull it'll make it to europe soon.

We are in the process of getting the necessary CE certifications so we can be shipping overseas.

#1721 6 years ago

We're just 3 shipped out before the new year? Please no offence to the "just" what a remarkable achievement!

#1722 6 years ago

rosh is it possible for someone to document the playfield changes as they happened along the way? Thinking years down the road when / if samples are being sold and collected we would have a great source of info. Sample machines of other manufacturers are still found today on secondary markets. Being this is the first AP game it would be fun to read and see the progression while the information is fresh.

#1723 6 years ago

Hey guys - this is Kyle Carter, Co-Founder at Analog Arcade Bar and I can vouch that the game plays great and people are loving it. Particularly, our pinball league crew is loving it the most. The shots are very challenging and hardcore pinball fans are really enjoying their time with it already. We're thrilled to be one of the first few locations in the world to have Houdini! I'm really looking forward to see how the game evolves with updates, etc. as well.

We hope to see some of you in Davenport, IA (Quad Cities) to give it a try for yourself! Check out our Facebook and Instagram pages if you'd like to see more videos.

Thanks again to our partner Rich who put this together for us and kudos to American Pinball!

#1724 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

We're just 3 shipped out before the new year?

Yes, since they were pick-ups by distributors in Illinois and Indiana. There are couple of more ready to go, and another dozen that are waiting to get their final review and approval by Joe, Jim and I and I expect that to happen over the next few days. Not sure which distributors they are assigned to, but they are likely be contacted regarding shipping arrangements. We are trying to get games to all of our distributors as quickly as we can so they can either put them in their showroom or get them out on location.

Quoted from HOOKED:

is it possible for someone to document the playfield changes as they happened along the way?

The reality is all but one of the original 'prototypes' are gone, cannibalized for parts, and that one that does exist is now stuck with the code as it existed back in September, and for all I know it is unplayable, since as soon as they wheeled in a production sample, I started changing the code to use the right orbit switch which was one of the changes, so no clue in what state I left the prototype. The bulk, if not all, of the palyfield changes have been covered in various articles, posts and presentations. Most of the changes were subtle. The reality is, there is almost no noticeable difference between the first couple of samples and what is rolling off the line now. We have added a new part to stop a ball trap, but as of 10 minutes ago, that has been put on the first games as well. The only other change is a change to the style to the GI bulbs. The one in my office, and possibly one or two others, do have a slightly different 'floor' to the stage mech, a topic that will I give more color to down the road.

Quoted from wepeel9er:

Hey guys - this is Kyle Carter, Co-Founder at Analog Arcade Bar and I can vouch that the game plays great and people are loving it. Particularly, our pinball league crew is loving it the most. The shots are very challenging and hardcore pinball fans are really enjoying their time with it already. We're thrilled to be one of the first few locations in the world to have Houdini! I'm really looking forward to see how the game evolves with updates, etc. as well.

Kyle, glad to hear you guys are enjoying it. It was our goal to create a game that can be fun for novices and challenging for enthusiasts. I think it is a game that makes you want to keep playing it (and those tight shots are not really that tight, once you stop telling yourself they are, and that right inner loop can be made consistently without much difficulty with a backhand). It is my hope that the depth and breadth keeps it feeling fresh and challenging.

#1725 6 years ago

Congrats to everyone at AP for a hell of an accomplishment. Best wishes for your continued achievement and success.

I am amazed at the journey of AP and Houdini. The access and willingness for them to answer questions is a huge confidence builder. I'm really excited to see where it goes from here and when the dust settles some I plan on picking one up.

#1726 6 years ago
Quoted from wepeel9er:

We hope to see some of you in Davenport, IA (Quad Cities) to give it a try for yourself! Check out our Facebook and Instagram pages if you'd like to see more videos.
Thanks again to our partner Rich who put this together for us and kudos to American Pinball!

Sweet!! Must have been a great Distributor to get you that game in 2 degree weather. LOL

You guys should check this place out if your in the area, great place, nice selection on pins and more..

Pincades
JT

#1727 6 years ago

Congrats to American Pinball on an amazing accomplishment. Excited to get my hands on one to try out in the not too distant future.

#1728 6 years ago

Ramps need more sound effects. Amateur pinball companies always miss this detail. There should Always be 2 sfx per ramp/orbit. One for successful shot, a different one when ball rolls back down failed shot. Big boy companies never miss this detail! C’mon now. Silent ramps are not satisfying to hit, ever.

#1729 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Ramps need more sound effects. Amateur pinball companies always miss this detail. There should Always be 2 sfx per ramp/orbit. One for successful shot, a different one when ball rolls back down failed shot. Big boy companies never miss this detail! C’mon now. Silent ramps are not satisfying to hit, ever.

I agree that it's way better to hear something when a ramp is hit at first and then also when the ball rolls back again (i.e. 'ohoh' in Dirty Harry), but you could (imo: 'should') use other words than something like 'amateur pinball companies always miss this detail'.

#1730 6 years ago

Ramps need more sound effects. Amateur pinball companies always miss this detail.

Amateur posters to this thread often miss asking about things before jumping to conclusions.

It has been on the list, well, since forever. I have mentioned a few times about 'polish', and that is the type of thing that falls into that category. I actually just got them from my sound engineer a week or so ago, so they will be in there soon. Since consecutive ramps increase scoring with each ramp, the sound needs to change accordingly and our sound engineer wanted to hear more of the game play to come up with the right sound sequence. Also means it takes a little longer to implement, then say sling shot or pop bumper sounds.

#1731 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Amateur posters to this thread often miss asking about things before jumping to conclusions.

#1732 6 years ago

all of his post are negative nancy. move along.

#1733 6 years ago

An "amateur" pinball company would be one making games for free! (i.e. unpaid)

Where do I sign up for a game from one of those? TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!1! Er, wait...

Try: novice, newcomer, fledgling, neophyte, startup, freshman, rookie, newbie, greenhorn

#1734 6 years ago

debbie-downer (resized).jpgdebbie-downer (resized).jpg

#1735 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

It has been on the list, well, since forever. I have mentioned a few times about 'polish', and that is the type of thing that falls into that category. I actually just got them from my sound engineer a week or so ago, so they will be in there soon. Since consecutive ramps increase scoring with each ramp, the sound needs to change accordingly and our sound engineer wanted to hear more of the game play to come up with the right sound sequence. Also means it takes a little longer to implement, then say sling shot or pop bumper sounds.

I was going to post something snarky about how “amateur” it is to put this level of detail into your game, but I guess I... oh well I kinda did didn’t I?

Houdini IN 2018!!!

#1736 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Rosh for the win!

#1737 6 years ago

Any update on the DC location?

#1738 6 years ago

or Los Angeles?

#1739 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Any update on the DC location?

Not at Lyman’s yet..

#1740 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not at Lyman’s yet..

Was at VUK on Thursday and it’s not there yet either.

#1741 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Was at VUK on Thursday and it’s not there yet either.

It's confirmed going to Lyman's.

#1742 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Thanks for posting this. That is how you shoot a video. Especially love beginning of video pointing out features in action. Nice video editing. Someone needs to hire you to do this for all new game launches. Bravo my friend.

#1743 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

It's confirmed going to Lyman's.

I believe both Lymans and VUK will be getting it soon—from different distributors.

#1744 6 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Thanks for posting this. That is how you shoot a video. Especially love beginning of video pointing out features in action. Nice video editing. Someone needs to hire you to do this for all new game launches. Bravo my friend.

I couldn't have said it better. A very refreshing video. You spoke very clearly no crazy sound effects or lighting. Highlighting the features of the game. I can't wait to try this game!

#1745 6 years ago

Jason at GAP gets the credit for that video, which I agree is excellent.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-1st-machine-out-their-door-123017

#1746 6 years ago

I have to admit that this game wasn't on my radar at all as the theme and designer don't do much for me but after seeing and playing the game for the first time yesterday I've come around 180 degrees. Great layout, inventive and fun rules and cool toys. Hard to believe that this is the same designer as the Hobbit and South Park! It felt like a throwback to the 90s WPC games of old. I really like how tight and satisfying the shots are to hit and I think the theme integration is really good.

I only got in 4 games and the ruleset was somewhat transparent as to what I need to do but I'm still not sure of a few things.

1. Can someone explain how the Houdini lights in the center of the playfield come into play and what the various colors mean?

2. I'm also not sure what the color chain link inserts signify? I apologize for being dense but I really haven't followed any of the progress on this game to date but now after playing it I'm looking forward to playing it a lot more! Glad they put one on location here at Geeks Mania!

It's also pretty cool that the game keeps track of your game time. On my 2nd game I ended up playing a 20 minute game where I got to see many of the modes and multiballs in the game. Man that multiball with the reverse and inverse flippers is crazy! I doubt I'd pick that one again unless scoring was made at least 3x instead of 2x. Not sure yet what I think of the videomode either but the rest of the rules seem great!

IMG_20180106_110519 (resized).jpgIMG_20180106_110519 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180106_110559 (resized).jpgIMG_20180106_110559 (resized).jpg

#1747 6 years ago

rosh if my game is shipping out next week to the distibutor, will it have the pinblades on it? Thanks.

#1748 6 years ago

I've asked that as well! Nothing has yet been said about factory installed side art blades,or,a shaker!!

#1749 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

if my game is shipping out next week to the distibutor, will it have the pinblades

Somewhere in the thread it's mentioned that installs of the "extras" won't be done till the end of January...

#1750 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

rosh if my game is shipping out next week to the distibutor, will it have the pinblades on it? Thanks.

I believe it will be later in the month that they will start doing that. I don't think the blades have come in yet.

Quoted from MikeS:

On my 2nd game I ended up playing a 20 minute game where I got to see many of the modes and multiballs in the game. Man that multiball with the reverse and inverse flippers is crazy! I doubt I'd pick that one again unless scoring was made at least 3x instead of 2x.

That is a very good score.

After you do inverted a few times, you would be surprised how good you can get at it. Possible I will increase the value, when I implement the 'chimping penalty' feature that reduces the jackpot value if you chimp the flippers.

Quoted from MikeS:

1. Can someone explain how the Houdini lights in the center of the playfield come into play and what the various colors mean?

Each of the objectives (and other modes) has a specific color. I thought the rules section of the powering from expo got posted here, which has that info, but I don't see it. I'll grab it and post it.

Quoted from MikeS:

2. I'm also not sure what the color chain link inserts signify?

There are three sections of links, separated by a lock, and those map to the Jail Escapes (Green), Movie Modes (blue), and secret missions (pink). The 'lock' at the end of each segment will flash when the mini-magician mode for that group is available. Number of chain links earned goes into the bonus.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.