20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 297.
#1601 6 years ago

As a consumer, I think Houdini is an excellent theme for a machine and you guys are hitting my sweet spots all around. The steampunk artwork looks amazing to me and greatly compliments the theme. My single and only criticism that I have so far is the backbox head shape. Other than that, this game has winner written all over it.

And you, Josh, are a fantastic representative of your company and your product.

BTW. I'm guessing that my suggestion for a powerball as a spirit ball, did not work because of the different weight in the catapult. But I never heard back.

#1602 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

One would have thought Star Wars would be a 'home run' based on license alone, but your point is valid. I tend to think that what is more important is the other extreme, that it is not a theme where a large chunk of collectors/operators would say "ugh, no way", since that shrinks the size on market vs locking in a small segment of it. Not sure how many games sell just due to theme, I suspect depending on the title, it can be a decent amount. but without a good machine behind it overall sales are going to struggle -- plenty of examples of a popular theme that fall flat due to playfield design, rules/programming or overall theme integration, and sometimes it can just be one these that misses to have a big impact on sales -- I'm sure some here an name recent examples. But even a great shooting game with great rules, but with a relatively unpopular theme is not going to do great -- again some recent examples exist. With Houdini, we had an unlicensed but a very recognizable theme, so not like we have to explain what it is, what the story is about. What we don't get with it, are assets to work with, images, video, music, call outs, etc, so there are always trade offs.

100% agree. Pinball history is littered with games that failed to take advantage of a great license. There are two markets today - operators and collectors - who have different needs.

Operators benefit more from brand-recognized licenses and collectors, while they value brand-name themes, “may” place more value in theme integration, regardless of whether the theme is from a movie, band, etc.

There are lots of exceptions and opinions, but it’s also clear that a killer theme can also lead to high expectations that don’t materialize, as is the case with Star Wars.

F14 is an example of a unique game with excellent theme integration even though the Top Gun license didn’t materialize. As a collector, I’d prefer to NOT have Tom Cruise on my machine, but I bet the operators at the time would have preferred it.

I’m excited about Houdini (and have an order in for one) because the theme integration, unique approach to artwork, and meticulous approach to game layout and design seems like a home run to me. I have TOM and Hokus Pokus, so this is a theme trifecta for my collection. Can’t wait to get my hands on one!

#1603 6 years ago

New office decor

houdini (resized).jpghoudini (resized).jpg

#1604 6 years ago

The Desire to Create - Interview with Joe Balcer, playfield designer of Houdini Pinball

- How Houdini went from a piece of paper to a flippable game in four months
- Why the unique head shape
- An extremely cool one-of-a-kind mod is coming
- The magic and illusion of the design and code
- The development of the catapult
- Houdini sales goals and how many can be produced each week
- Game #2 - licensed or unlicensed?
- Game #2 - who is the designer?
- Game #2 - when will it be announced?

http://thisweekinpinball.com/exclusive-interview-joe-balcer-playfield-designer-houdini-desire-create/

#1605 6 years ago

This is an exciting time of the year, not only for Christmas, but also for Houdini as it begins shipping next week!!!

#1606 6 years ago

Great interview. I didn’t know about the locking system that allows to ball to disappear in one location and reappear immediately in another. Brilliant concept!

Sounds like a few games are very close to shipping.

#1607 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

only 10 days left before the end of the year, it can be done (crossing fingers).

#1608 6 years ago

Curly at www.littleshopofgames.com says he'll be getting 5 in January (located in Florida).
I sure hope one of my Florida pinball pals gets one soon in 2018 so I can play it

#1609 6 years ago

We are hoping to get 5 in real soon and more in late Jan. If you would like to get in on our first 20 let us know with a PM or visit our site at

You can put down a deposit at link here: https://www.greatamericanpinball.com/product-page/houdini-american-pinball

Or stop by our shop and play one real soon!!!!!!!

Check out our feedback and we always donate to pinside!!!!!!

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/gap/feedback

GAP
www.greatamericanpinball.com

#1610 6 years ago

Still plenty of room under my tree if the API team wish to surprise me. Note that my chimney isn’t very large so please use the front door. I have 2 on order so let’s hope they are building them in Pairs!!

#1611 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Quoted from beatmaster:

only 10 days left before the end of the year, it can be done (crossing fingers).

Our stated goal since Texas was to be shipping machines before end of year, and that is still our goal and expectation.

I have also stated that games will not ship before they are ready, and certainly not to just hit the end of year goal.

For the first two dozen or so machines, this will include a second inspection by Joe, Jim or I. Not going too say that even after that, that 100% of the machines that ship are going to be 100%, since you guys would know I was full of shit, but that is certainly our goal. I'm sure some issues will crop up that we were not checking for or things that just don't get seen.

I can tell you that some machines are now going through the second phase of inspection and some minor issues have been found. Instruction and processes will be modified as needed and/or additional training will be done.

After that each machine stills need to go though burn-in, some play testing, updated with the most up-to-date code, etc.. Not surprisingly I recommend that when you get your machine you should update the game with latest code. Code updates take about 5 minutes. Just download the latest code package to a USB stick, open the coin door, insert it into the USB extension cable, after a moment the screen will change to show it is doing the update, wait until it tells you to 'remove and restart' and then, well, 'remove and restart'. You can start the update process with the machine already on. So, no need to remove the backglass, no need to navigate through menus. Also worth noting, that anytime you attach a USB drive to the machine it will copy the audit data (both current and any previous audit date ranges), game settings and recent game logs to the USB stick. If you have issues with your machine, I may ask you to pull and email the logs to us for review.

#1612 6 years ago

Josh, I'm high on the list as well, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

#1613 6 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

The Desire to Create - Interview with Joe Balcer, playfield designer of Houdini Pinball
- How Houdini went from a piece of paper to a flippable game in four months
- Why the unique head shape
- An extremely cool one-of-a-kind mod is coming
- The magic and illusion of the design and code
- The development of the catapult
- Houdini sales goals and how many can be produced each week
- Game #2 - licensed or unlicensed?
- Game #2 - who is the designer?
- Game #2 - when will it be announced?
http://thisweekinpinball.com/exclusive-interview-joe-balcer-playfield-designer-houdini-desire-create/

I'm digging this well deserved and well presented coverage of Houdini - thanks!

#1614 6 years ago

We have a lot on order and will receive a few hopefully this year. But next year we should have stock so if you are interested in one let us know. A small deposit to hold your spot and then balance before we ship. We are one of the largest AP dealers so availability will be soon.

Larry

#1615 6 years ago

I am very interested in seeing how the code is coming along.

#1616 6 years ago

Couldn't take it any more distro paid in full ... First one in,coming home to me!
Can't wait but will, again amazing updates and information, love the USB updates without removing the back glass!

Merry Christmas to all at AP, get some well deserved family time and rest... All the best in 2018, thinking that's kinda a given!

#1617 6 years ago

Sweet! If I didnt just grab a DILE that would have been me

#1618 6 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

I will second that the Shipping starts in December. Taking more orders guys. Remember delivered out of IN saves $$$.
Still have the holiday special through new years.
Pincades
Chicago Area Dist.
JT

Pincades will have plenty in stock next Year (2018)
Give us a call, we are the closest out of state (no tax to IL locals or out of state) Distributor to AP (62 miles) we pick up at the factory!! We offer local delivery to the Chicago Land Area, as well as arranging shipping to other areas.
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!
219-924-PINS (7467)
219-808-6063

Jesse T

#1619 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Sweet! If I didnt just grab a DILE that would have been

Will post when it arrives , your more than welcome to come over and play it!

#1620 6 years ago

Rosh - any chance that the magic glass and side blades will be ready to ship with the first games? I might be getting one from the first batch and I would certainly prefer those add-ons without having to ship and install later.

#1621 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Will post when it arrives , your more than welcome to come over and play it!

Love to! I appretiate the invite!

#1622 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I am very interested in seeing how the code is coming along.

if production games are indeed shipping in the near term, it would be nice to SEE how the code updates and the Balcer 'tweaks' enhance gameplay when compared to the prototypes from 6 months ago. disappointing that only a single game of video has been published during the last six months.

#1623 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

disappointing that only a single game of video has been published during the last six months.

How could you be disappointed when no other manufacturer has put such great effort into open communication ... Can't really tell that much till you play it yourself!

#1624 6 years ago

Not true, here is a new video published on Nov 27,2017. Josh has been updating the group at every turn during game development.

Quoted from greenhornet:

if production games are indeed shipping in the near term, it would be nice to SEE how the code updates and the Balcer 'tweaks' enhance gameplay when compared to the prototypes from 6 months ago. disappointing that only a single game of video has been published during the last six months.

#1625 6 years ago

I’m supposed to be getting one of the first so you guys will have plenty of coverage from SDTM: a pinball show on Twitch and YouTube. Here’s hoping it’s working well out of the box

#1626 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I’m supposed to be getting one of the first so you guys will have plenty of coverage from SDTM: a pinball show on Twitch and YouTube. Here’s hoping it’s working well out of the box

Your review of Houdini might be my most anticipated video yet. Can't wait to see what you guys think of it.

#1627 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Not true, here is a new video published on Nov 27,2017. Josh has been updating the group at every turn during game development.

that is the one i was referring to.
the one single game of video in the last six months. the opportunity to showcase the improved lighting, current/most recent state of the code, and flow/gameplay resulting from Balcers design tweaks; lasted one game. everything else is from 6 month old prototypes. the written updates are certainly appreciated, but with games going out the door soon, im sure people were hoping for more to SEE something more. if you dont want to concern yourselves with how the game actually plays, fine. im sure the match sequence is of more importance.

#1628 6 years ago

So in the video Josh went through a whole game and explored several modes and explained alot of the content. What exactly are you looking for?
This is the current code and probably how the game will ship. Aside from the match and wizard mode, the code looks like a full game with updates promised. I think that's fair. No surprises here.

Quoted from greenhornet:

the one single game of video in the last six months. the opportunity to showcase the improved lighting, current/most recent state of the code, and flow/gameplay resulting from Balcers design tweaks; lasted one game. everything else is from 6 month old prototypes. the written updates are certainly appreciated, but with games going out the door soon, im sure people were hoping for more to SEE something more. if you dont want to concern yourselves with how the game actually plays, fine. im sure the match sequence is of more importance.

#1629 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Can you link me to the latest video where Stern or JJP are doing these types of updates ? I missed have missed them

#1630 6 years ago

Let’s not give the Greenhornet too much grief. We’re all excited for more videos of game play. If I do get a Houdini from that first batch I’ll be posting some video.

That being stated, American Pinball (Josh) has been freaking awesome and providing info on the development of Houdini. I most certainly would have bought something else had Josh not provided a steady diet of Houdini info.

#1631 6 years ago

Our first 5 we are going to be sending out to public locations so as many people who want to play it can. One Location in Cali, One in Washington DC, 1 In Denver, Co, 1 in Seattle and one in Wyoming.

JJ

#1632 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

That being stated, American Pinball (Josh) has been freaking awesome and providing info on the development of Houdini. I most certainly would have bought something else had Josh not provided a steady diet of Houdini info.

#1633 6 years ago

Which one in Cali?

#1634 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Our first 5 we are going to be sending out to public locations so as many people who want to play it can. One Location in Cali, One in Washington DC, 1 In Denver, Co, 1 in Seattle and one in Wyoming.
JJ

Where at in DC?

#1635 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

JJ

We’ll have one in Seattle at Nitro Pinball’s new showroom on free play. Anyone interested in purchasing HOUDINI in Washington state (or Canada) feel free to contact us. We’re authorized distributors for American Pinball and include home delivery / setup and the very best after sale support. Contact [email protected] or Call toll free 1-855-DO-NITRO

#1636 6 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Anyone interested in purchasing one in Washington state feel free to contact [email protected]

Outstanding distro... Great support and years of knowledge... Buy with confidence!

#1637 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Which one in Cali?

Probably Free Gold Watch, I would guess.

#1638 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Our first 5 we are going to be sending out to public locations so as many people who want to play it can. One Location in ..., 1 In Denver, Co, ...
JJ

Will this one be in your showroom?

#1639 6 years ago

So close.....i wanted one under the tree, but ill settle for a nice Valentine's gift.
JJ, please Answer phone on Wed when im able to give you a call. Your my closest distributor.

#1640 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

So close.....i wanted one under the tree, but ill settle for a nice Valentine's gift.
JJ, please Answer phone on Wed when im able to give you a call. Your my closest distributor.

Hey don’t count them out yet. They still have 8 days left to box a game. At this point rightfully I think they are focused on thier commitment to themselves which is a Great team/business plan! They have really started this company on the right foot and I wish them great success in the long future to come. I am and will continue to be a supporter of businesses like API.

#1641 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

JJ

WHERE in DC? lyman’s?

#1642 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Probably Free Gold Watch, I would guess.

Ayce Gogi is my guess.

#1643 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

WHERE in DC? lyman’s?

Hopefully VUK.

#1644 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Hopefully VUK.

It's got to be one of the two. Both are equidistant for me.. man hurry up guys!!

#1645 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can you link me to the latest video where Stern or JJP are doing these types of updates ? i must have missed them.

hours of live stream, often direct from each company's factory and featuring top players as well as the game designers.

dead flip promoting stern.
buffalo pinball promoting JJP.

all on youtube.
clearly marketing to showcase the games to potential customers.

Dialed In! pinball gameplay live from the Jersey Jack Factory 10/22/16 "Bro, do you even pinball?" [3 hours 7 minutes]

Dialed In! w/1.0 code (Jersey Jack, 2017) 5/25/17 "Bro, do you even pinball?" 3 hours 12 minutes [production games begin shipping]

from the expo reveal of JJPOTC:
Pirates of the Caribbean pinball reveal and gameplay! Jersey Jack Pinball at Expo 2017 [1 hour 33 minutes]

Guardians of the Galaxy Pinball Reveal | Nov. 20th, 2017 [from stern HQ: 1 hour 52 minutes, games ship within weeks]

NEW STAR WARS Pinball from STERN HQ! 07/05/17 [2 hours 15 minutes, games ship within weeks]

followed up with 6+ hours of show coverage a month later with running commentary by jack danger: Star Wars Pro "tutorial" 12 Billion .85 Code July 22nd, 2017

#1646 6 years ago

The game looks neat and the price point is attractive. But the girl giggle (?) sounds like a hyena and I think that part is extremely annoying. I've only read bits and pieces of the thread, but I know this has been mentioned. Maybe it will get changed?

Rob

#1647 6 years ago

Has any one ordered side rail art blades and shaker yet??? What are they charging for these,if at all???

#1648 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Has any one ordered side rail art blades and shaker yet??? What are they charging for these,if at all???

...and Magic Glass? Cost??

#1649 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's got to be one of the two. Both are equidistant for me.. man hurry up guys!!

VUK is getting one soon. Was there Friday and was talking to the tech working on TNA. He said that it is is on the way. They also have GOTG in as well.

#1650 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

...and Magic Glass? Cost??

I think API is more focused on building, boxing, and selling the first game before jumping on accessories at this point. Give them time I’m sure your accessories will be offered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.