20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 297.
#1451 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Fan out cards with numbers. The matching number card pops up from the deck....

someone had talked about the card rising out of the wine glass trick for the magic shop instead of the hat, but while that would not work there, that could work here. Plus I already have the playing card assets.

#1452 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Fan out cards with numbers. The matching number card pops up from the deck....

Very good idea

#1453 6 years ago

Thanks! Do I win??

#1454 6 years ago

Let’s think outside of the box for the match. Instead of it being a random animation that results in a random number how about an end of ball bonus that requires you to hit a certain shot or start a certain mode in 3-5 seconds. These ball bonuses could also increase in difficulty if the machine determines a high number of free plays.

#1455 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Let’s think outside of the box for the match. Instead of it being a random animation that results in a random number how about an end of ball bonus that requires you to hit a certain shot or start a certain mode in 3-5 seconds. These ball bonuses could also increase in difficulty if the machine determines a high number of free plays.

Intereresting idea. How would that work for the majority of people that have their machines on freeplay?

#1456 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Great idea!

#1457 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Intereresting idea. How would that work for the majority of people that have their machines on freeplay?

I think it could behave how it currently does for games on Freeplay. Just disable the bonus ball option in settings.

#1458 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

(rosh now sits back and waits for suggestions to be thrown out)

A Zeppelin, painted to look like a cucumber, covered in bacon grease, towing a huge banner that says "So's yer mum!" is shot down by a diaper wearing baby smoking a cigar who turns to the camera and winks as the Zeppelin crashes into a NY hot dog cart. The owner of said cart runs into the street towards the baby seeking vengeance and is struck by the Weinermobile. His body drags behind the Weinermobile as it goes through a Starbucks drivethrough. The Weinermobile driver throws a water balloon filled with pee through the window while shouting "YA BASIC" and peels off, leaving the body of the hot dog cart guy behind. 17 raccoons climb out of a dumpster and drag the body back in. The lid of the dumpster slams shut revealing the match number.

The aristocrats.

#1459 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

A Zeppelin, painted to look like a cucumber, covered in bacon grease, towing a huge banner that says "So's yer mum!" is shot down by a diaper wearing baby smoking a cigar who turns to the camera and winks as the Zeppelin crashes into a NY hot dog cart. The owner of said cart runs into the street towards the baby seeking vengeance and is struck by the Weinermobile. His body drags behind the Weinermobile as it goes through a Starbucks drivethrough. The Weinermobile driver throws a water balloon filled with pee through the window while shouting "YA BASIC" and peels off, leaving the body of the hot dog cart guy behind. 17 raccoons climb out of a dumpster and drag the body back in. The lid of the dumpster slams shut revealing the match number.
The aristocrats.

Now That is creativity! lol

#1460 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The aristocrats.

i'd be curious to see what a wizard mode would be like

#1461 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The aristocrats.

Too early to be drinking...don't you think?

#1462 6 years ago

You had me until you said

Quoted from epthegeek:

a Starbucks drivethrough

starbucks did not exist when Houdini was alive.

#1463 6 years ago

By the time of the match sequence the show's over. How about an empty stage with a janitor sweeping which reveals a number on the floor or triggers the trapdoor that reveals a number. If it matches the curtains days open if it doesn't the curtains close. Just the opposite of how the game starts.

#1464 6 years ago

Now, take all these great ideas, program them all, then randomly select one each game so it's not the same every time.

#1465 6 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

By the time of the match sequence the show's over. How about an empty stage with a janitor sweeping which reveals a number on the floor or triggers the trapdoor that reveals a number. If it matches the curtains days open if it doesn't the curtains close. Just the opposite of how the game starts.

I like this...^^^
Wraps things up nicely, like a performance.
I am glad I pointed out about the match feature...!

#1466 6 years ago

How about Houdini returns as a zombie and chases numbers around and the one he catches and eats is your match number.

LTG : )

#1467 6 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

By the time of the match sequence the show's over. How about an empty stage with a janitor sweeping which reveals a number on the floor or triggers the trapdoor that reveals a number.

currently at the end it is the closed curtain with a spotlight and the word 'fin', so I have been contemplating things to do in front of the curtain, including the type of thing you are suggesting.

#1468 6 years ago

How about the curtain closes and then opens with the number wrapped in chains in a water tank.

#1469 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

currently at the end it is the closed curtain with a spotlight and the word 'fin', so I have been contemplating things to do in front of the curtain, including the type of thing you are suggesting.

So let the spotlight search for a numer before you write "fin".

#1470 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not yet, but there will be one at some point. I have a few ideas, but I have not decided on one yet. Not my top priority at the moment.
(rosh now sits back and waits for suggestions to be thrown out)

For the match....why not twist it and not rely on score but user input.. Make it a Shell game...left flipper left cup, right flipper right cup...two flippers middle cup... Find the ball. Game of chance turns into game of deception hehehhe are you quick enough to get a free game. Obvisoule still make it about replay percentage but it would be fun to give the user an illusion of chance

#1471 6 years ago

I have many cool decks of cards in my collection and was fooling around with some ideas. I made a quick video this morning with a seance deck I have.

#1472 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I have many cool decks of cards in my collection and was fooling around with some ideas. I made a quick video this morning with a seance deck I have.
» YouTube video

Looks good. Maybe just the end number card flip though so they don't fall asleep waiting.

#1473 6 years ago

I think you should have a set of keys hanging on the wall. One of them gets picked off the wall randomly and goes into a lock (one that looks like the ones on the pop bumpers) and unlocks it. Then when the key comes out of the lock it turns and shows a number on it. That number is the required match which has to equal a random match number that was placed in the top right of the screen at the beginning of the scene.

#1474 6 years ago

Drop a safe in the water. Match number escapes in a bubble and when it rises above the water it pops and reveals the number.

#1475 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

I think you should have a set of keys hanging on the wall. One of them gets picked off the wall randomly and goes into a lock (one that looks like the ones on the pop bumpers) and unlocks it. Then when the key comes out of the lock it turns and shows a number on it. That number is the required match which has to equal a random match number that was placed in the top right of the screen at the beginning of the scene.

Or a play off of this idea - three or more keys show up on the screen, in addition to the lock. One of them is chosen at random (or they shuffle around and then one rises) and goes to the lock. If the lock opens = match, if the key isn't correct, there isn't a match. Does away with the numbers, but it could be a cool variant.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1476 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Drop a safe in the water. Match number escapes in a bubble and when it rises above the water it pops and reveals the number.

Use fart bubble sound effect. I'm sure I have some. Genius.

#1477 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That I like and fairly simple per the theme!

#1478 6 years ago

Alright who has been to Level 257 to play Houdini. It was put out on Friday for test.
If anyone locally or out of state is ready to order one up. $100.00 deposit locks you in.
Remember if it is delivered out of Indiana, No Tax!! Saves $$$

$6995.00

Pincades
Jesse T.

#1479 6 years ago

3 cards face down, player pics with flippers or start button....or anything that involves choice over just being told would be a break from the norm

#1480 6 years ago

The audio is amazing!

22A799DF-A2A8-4EB8-8766-6F21EFC4F471.jpeg22A799DF-A2A8-4EB8-8766-6F21EFC4F471.jpeg

#1481 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

The audio is amazing!

Video please

#1482 6 years ago

These are already out on location for test?

#1483 6 years ago

Sorry, can’t video one handed. It’s at Level 257 in Chicago.

I love it! Tough for me; had to use a lot of nudging to avoid center drains.

5AF9ECA7-ABE4-45EB-9C0E-2F2121810BA0.jpeg5AF9ECA7-ABE4-45EB-9C0E-2F2121810BA0.jpeg

1EEE9576-D1BA-458B-A37A-86F04F9BED01.jpeg1EEE9576-D1BA-458B-A37A-86F04F9BED01.jpeg

3DBC2D0B-CA40-4819-AA73-9861358BF93A.jpeg3DBC2D0B-CA40-4819-AA73-9861358BF93A.jpeg

0E1D87B0-B856-4A34-BE20-9DC0035FBE47.jpeg0E1D87B0-B856-4A34-BE20-9DC0035FBE47.jpeg

B028E809-E216-439B-8663-433FC8E2A343.jpegB028E809-E216-439B-8663-433FC8E2A343.jpeg

D98A8C93-1C79-4A7B-BCF3-76ADEFA75DDB.jpegD98A8C93-1C79-4A7B-BCF3-76ADEFA75DDB.jpeg

14F48B14-9956-4B3D-B644-531607D71322.jpeg14F48B14-9956-4B3D-B644-531607D71322.jpeg

D7459ECA-C19D-49DC-9F85-5369AD50838E.jpegD7459ECA-C19D-49DC-9F85-5369AD50838E.jpeg

E656B559-FE21-4C37-A234-F20CCC37A620.jpegE656B559-FE21-4C37-A234-F20CCC37A620.jpeg

#1484 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

It’s at Level 257 in Chicago.

It’s actually in Schaumburg, Il not Chicago. If you were in Chicago looking for Level 257 you wouldn’t even be close to finding it. I’m curious, were your center drains coming out of the Key Lane? I played two different machines at AP’s facility and one keep draining SDTM out of the Key Lane and the other did not. It appears one needed to be tweaked. It is an awesome game, can’t wait until they are released.

#1485 6 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Alright who has been to Level 257 to play Houdini. It was put out on Friday for test.

I just happened to be there yesterday; was very surprised to see it.

#1486 6 years ago

Thats great! Wish I were closer to chicago!

#1487 6 years ago

These a lot of game here for 7K.

#1488 6 years ago

That hole on the right is DEFINITELY going to need a Cliffy. I hope they got him a playfield already...

#1489 6 years ago

So the test games have the cabinet side art , does that mean that they will included in the production run!
Please everybody in Chicago area go test!
Let the production line begin!
Looks great.

#1490 6 years ago

Planning to play this game on Friday 12/9 at Level 257!

#1491 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

So the test games have the cabinet side art , does that mean that they will included in the production run!
Please everybody in Chicago area go test!
Let the production line begin!
Looks great.

The side art as well as the shaker kit are optional. Played for several hours at their open house. They are so close I am already chalking an outline on the basement floor!

#1492 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

They are so close I am already chalking an outline on the basement floor

Knew they were an option(shaker& side art ) thought they were going to be aftermarket!
Perhaps only installed on the test games?
When you played the Houdini at the open house was the shaker installed?
Glad to read that you think they are going to be released soon!
Thanks for the reply

#1493 6 years ago

And that magic glass....so nice.

#1494 6 years ago

I was at their open house in November and saw the side art for the first time and loved it. I wouldn’t get this game without it. The shaker motor however isn’t a must have for me, I don’t see where it fits in with this theme, or to put it better, when would it be appropriate to activate during the game play. At any rate, it’s simply an amazing game.

#1495 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

I was at their open house in November and saw the side art for the first time and loved it. I wouldn’t get this game without it. The shaker motor however isn’t a must have for me, I don’t see where it fits in with this theme, or to put it better, when would it be appropriate to activate during the game play. At any rate, it’s simply an amazing game.

Séance. For one. Duh.

#1496 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Knew they were an option(shaker& side art ) thought they were going to be aftermarket!
Perhaps only installed on the test games?
When you played the Houdini at the open house was the shaker installed?
Glad to read that you think they are going to be released soon!
Thanks for the reply

Agreed with DangerWill, that side art was a must and absolutely well executed. While others make side art having the actual Artist provide a match scheme is the best option. Never was a fan of shaker motors myself other than Batman 66 and LOTR. If the price is fair I am sure I will get one cause, why not....lol

#1497 6 years ago

Having the side art installed before it ships is a great option... I have yet to install any “perfectly” myself on the machines that have it at home (even with the playfield removed first). One less thing to worry about and as the previous commentators note this IS awesome side art!

#1498 6 years ago

After a visit to AP and spending some time with Rosh I thought it was time to brush up on my Houdini history to better understand some of the Many amazing details they added to the playfield and software. Picked up a 1st addition 1st print issue so I can get the whole experience. lol

IMG_9961 (resized).jpgIMG_9961 (resized).jpg

#1499 6 years ago

Just moved my POTC deposit to Houdini. Just wasn’t feeling it for POTC. Houdini looks interesting and I like the idea of supporting a new pin manufacturer.

#1500 6 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Just moved my POTC deposit to Houdini. Just wasn’t feeling it for POTC. Houdini looks interesting and I like the idea of supporting a new pin manufacturer.

Have you played both? Not speaking biased as I have my deposit down for a POTC CE and Houdini from day one but they Really are different games. Houdini for Certain has a price advantage but I must be honest that after playing POTC at Expo it will be a Long time before another game touches that one for creativity, features, and incredible software depth. Again, Loving Houdini and I have never wavered off that decision but I do suggest playing them both if you only get one choice....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 49.99
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeley, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/30?hl=joncrox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.