20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ericpinballfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

477 posts in this topic match your search for posts by ericpinballfan. You are on page 2 of 2.
#5866 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

This was not the answer I wanted to hear *Fingers crossed there comes a solution*

Sorry. I just reached 6 months with my machine. Ive been threw ( see the pun) this in detail. A second more expensive option is a different power driver board, or all new transformer design.

#5876 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Get a 2000w 10 amp variac.
It works amazing.

Pinballinreno- For several months Ive appreciated your posts, tech ideas, trouble shooting, fixes and just in general damn good info!!!
Sadly I cannot hold my tongue any more.
Ive had over 75 pinball machines. Check my history, its all real. There is also probably 5 or 6 Ive missed.
I have never, ever had to buy a variac to make a machine work.
You and I have made many posts.
I do feel at a certain point or posts go ignored by AP.
Ive spoken with both Barry and Josh in the past months regarding this power issue.
I love my game, not selling it. I feel American Pinball and the entire team have created a great game and company. Several companys have come and gone these past 8 years. JJP is the only one left to survive. AP has done everything right and there business model was very well done.....But, and a Big But.
1- Make a daughter board to fix the bad transformer.
2- If game 2 has this same design, I may very well may never buy it.
3-This design flaw has to be fixed!
4- I personally would not ship another game to this power issue is fixed.
5-No customer should have to buy any supporting power source to make a NIB work.
Thank you American pinball for all your excellent customer service, and it is much better than Stern.
However the time has come to fix the most important issue for NIB there is.

#5882 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

again, if you are having power issues, and not everyone does, please be sure to open a service ticket via the website. I can assure you we are not ignoring this issue.

Sorry, I did say it and I don't think its appropriate to go back and edit my post.
Maybe what I should have said was not addressing the posts here in this thread on the power issue. Agreed, for those having this issue, open a ticket with Barry.

API has been stellar!

I'm confident that there is a fix in the works, I know of at least one beta tester who is testing it now.
I have submitted a ticket but for the fix that is coming but, I like a challenge!

Josh, what maybe I should have asked is, how is the daughter board testing going and when will it be available?
You've been nothing but Kind and helpful and very nice to me these past 6 months.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You know these guys are here all the time, weekends even addressing things. And now there are about to be 2 games to deal with. Awesome time for pinball

Agree 100%. I made a point to compliment both at beginning and end of my posts.

I know there not ignoring the issue. Josh and I talked at Cax about it.
I'm just hoping for a solution soon.
Once again, sorry to accuse them of ignoring the issue.
The best benefit of my post so far I see was creating the good dialogue above.
Once again API Great Customer service at work.

#5888 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

A 10 amp variac should be rated at 1000W. Mfg probably just inflated the rating. Can't get more than 15A out of a standard outlet anyway.
Houdini requires as much preflight and maintenance as an airplane. I could not tolerate this for a new machine.

You don't even have a Houdini. Move on please. Nothing to see here.

Man-grinding-axe-vintage (resized).jpgMan-grinding-axe-vintage (resized).jpg
#5964 5 years ago

It takes 15 minutes to carve out the holes in the target bracket and drop the flippers.
Move the c target at least 1/8", more like 3/16".
I just moved mine a little bit more last night from where I had it in the pictures. I had to flatten out the curved part of the hole slightly with a small file.
The game play afterwards is astounding!
See my earlier post with a picture of where I like my flippers.

You got a picture of that fix? Thanks

#5967 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

G.I are running off of 5V
Spotlights are 12V

How do we make this a Key post for years to come?

#5987 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

For anyone who wants to go back to the original female voice. You will find the adjustment under Setting>Features>Movie Voice
[quoted image]

I put mine on random. I like hearing both voices, male and female.
Whomever that raspy male voice is, he did an amazing job. Gives it that old time feel.

#5990 5 years ago
Quoted from circuscinema:

Hi my name is Ylva and me and my wife Linda just bought our Houdini pinball game. Yesterday night we just put in on legs. We haven’t done any adjustments, and we have only time to play 2 games each.
I would love to get a tips of the settings you do in the beginning.
We have other pinball games to buy it’s AP first game and I’m don’t know the menu.
Can some one point me in the settings so start whit.
In my collection we have a Dialed in LE, The Hobbit Black Arrow, Wizard of oz, Game of Thrones, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ghostbusters.
I wounding of anyone knows about some mods for the game?
Best regards Ylva from Sweden

Welcome to the magic friend!
I love your post. A Houdini in Sweden. That along is magic.
I have a planchette mod.
I'd like to mail you one for Free. Please PM/message me.
Eric

#6002 5 years ago

Josh or Barry...Any News on the Knocker Kit?
Thanks.

#6031 5 years ago
Quoted from Josho:

So my Houdini has been making the trunk shot a good 90-95% of the time, for months. No problems, really.
Then, last night, five times in a row, it sent the ball careening wildly off to the right, missing the trunk shot by a mile.
Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I'm not a technician, so if it's something more complicated than loosening a few screws or adjusting something in the menu, I'll have to call a $90/hr technician.
Josh

I wouldn't call a Tech just yet. Much less a Tech with proper Houdini Knowledge probably not easy to find. This game a little to new for that unless they own one. Posting here was the right thing to do. More knowledge and experience here than any other place on web.
This could be several things. The Fix Barry has on website and fix. Make sure it's aligned strait in hole, mentioned here post #6004 above.
Dirt or fuzz under playfield at hinge point( This most likely not the case)
The power issue some of us have from time to time.
you can open a Ticket with American pinball and email Barry. Most likely he will reference the fix on website.
Few questions?? Was it a big power day at household or multiple items on same circuit at house?

#6050 5 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

I'm sorry, this is my first NIB game. How do we open a ticket for this? What information do we need to provide? Don't they already have a service bulletin to fix this? Also, does anyone know how we go about getting the speaker grill light blockers? Is that through API or the distributor?

Go to website and register game.
Then open ticket to Barry.
The speaker blockers are thru your distributor.

#6099 5 years ago

Congrats to American Pinball again!
Isnt the big show in a few weeks Wayne?
That kinda looks like Barry hiding back there?
Magical for all the owners in Oz!

#6124 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just got the notice from AP. New power supplies are available from them for people having issues with coil fade. $150 out of pocket, but they'll let existing customers have a $150 credit for their store to offset this:
September 26, 2018
Our goal at American Pinball is to provide quality games at affordable prices.
As many of you know, some Houdini owners are experiencing weak coils when the incoming AC voltage drops because of external loads placed on the service line. We have incorporated a new 48 Volt Power Supply to offset the effect of low incoming AC voltage on the coils.
We are selling the new Low Voltage Offset Power Supply for $150.00 which includes a switch mode 750-48 power supply, retrofit wire harness, hardware and shipping.
We greatly appreciate our customers and to show this, American Pinball will provide a $150.00 credit* with the purchase of the “Low Voltage Offset Power Supply” to be used either at our online store or towards the purchase of an Oktoberfest “Pinball On Tap” machine.
Purchase the power supply online at
https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-power-supply-upgrade
Your Houdini machine needs to be registered prior to the power supply shipping, register your game at
https://www.american-pinball.com/support/register/
Regards,
American Pinball Inc.
Phone: 847 893 6800
American-Pinball.com
Facebook.com/americanpinball

I didn't get that email. But Thank You for posting.
Also trying to figure out if I'm registered. Should be.

#6130 5 years ago

Hoping for the Knocker kit soon too!!

#6136 5 years ago
Quoted from Nirm:

https://store.american- :PS)pinball.com/products/houdini-knocker-kit
ericpinballfan Just for you!
-Nirm

Thank you Boss!

#6158 5 years ago

Barry, I saw a 1000-48 supply on jameco.com, the 750's bigger brother.
Is 750 enough power?
In my PC experience, power supplies lose power over time as they wear.
Would it be better to just get an even bigger supply to future-proof my game?

This power supply will provide another 6 amps of continuous flow.
Thus, yes, more than enough power flow. The game only needed about 3 amps more. In fact this probably overkill adjusting for the shaker as well.
There also would be no need for a variac with this extra power, this would make up for low wall voltage.
This power supply is an amazing fix for the game.
Kudos again to American pinball. This has been in the works since almost April, at least on paper. So this should do the trick.
Shaker motor also not an issue, more than enough power now.

#6163 5 years ago

I get a 9v drop in voltage form my wall power continuously.
It affects all of my games negatively.
I added variacs to all of my games and finally everything is stable.
Commonly AFMr, WOZ, TH, Houdini affected the most.
Adding an additional 6 amps to Houdini will be amazing!
Even more so would be so add another 20v in series to the flipper circuit.

Sounds like you should skip variac's and put this in your AFMr and Woz too.

Quoted from BarryJ:

Eric, We scrapped the add on power supply idea and went with the SMPS for various reasons. This is not a bridge, it is a solution.

Thanks Barry!
You had a much better way of describing it.

#6213 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

I have problems with the voltage. (See posts before)
So I'll need a fix. Shipping is expensive from US. And i bought the houdini at an European Distributor. So i will contact him. But if there is no solution like all Distributors in Europe get powersupplys from AP and send Them to the customers (what might be possible) or any other Chance to get one.
i'll have to find a solution for myself.
And so i have 2 options buy a variac or a powersupply both are about 145€ here in Europe.
So our european law say that i have 6 month time to mark a problem and the Distributor have 2-3 trys to fix a problem. AS a customer the Distributor has to find a solution for me.
And then the distri has to find a solution with the producer (about costs and stuff)

Have you emailed your distributor?

#6220 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I really appreciate the support we have been shown on this!

I want to Thank Barry and the AP team for continued research, support, and working this all out.
The $150 is icing on the cake for Great Customer Support.
I emailed Barry the other day and he got back to me within a couple hours. In general AP returns all emails within 24 hours unless its the weekend. Of all the current companies they lead the industry for addressing issues and response time.

#6231 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The music in Houdini is great. Really listenable and doesn't get old.

In the menu settings I see "Attract Music"...
Wonder if that will be added in next update...Rosh?

#6247 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I agree the music is great. But has anyone noticed the incredibly low bass note that happens late in the Vanishing Elephant mode? It only happens once. It sounds like its coming from deep down in the Earth's mantle, like the ground is about to open up and swallow me because I can't hit consecutive ramp shots....

Do you have the Shaker motor?
Elephant mod even better with it.

2 weeks later
#6470 5 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Yep it’s the one right above the usage setting - shaker is set to on and usage medium

Now check the two fuses on the board you plugged it into.

#6489 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

After watching a magician recreate Houdini's upside down straightjacket escape, it occurs to me that when we cross our arms to work inverted flippers, we are mimicking Houdini's inverted arms-across-chest position in the escape. I thought this was just a cheat move. But Josh and Joe must have had this in mind, those wily geniuses.
[quoted image]

Not to mention the strait jacket trick is easier upside down. Yes, I've done it in both positions. Been about 10 years though.

#6501 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

My trunk shot went from being perfect to consistently going to far to the left. Power is perfect but direction is off. I can't see any possibility to adjust for direction?

Quoted from tatapolus:

Same here, but it's going to the right.

Did you guys get the power supply add on emails from your distributor?
The power box add on is a fix for consistent power flow.

#6517 5 years ago

Guys if you were Distributors, you would do the same thing.
Hey, some good show pricing!

#6566 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I can’t speak for AP, but if it were my company, The answer would be “not everyone has the power issue, so we want to reserve these units for the people who need it most.”

Well, its not a Big deal. AP has , and has order for enough to make all customers right. As of last week only 150 had ordered it. So it is up to individual, but I reccomend it for all in the long run.

#6569 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

EOS installed. It helped a bit. But you can feel that all Coils sometimes have not enough power or too much:
- Scoop kickout need two tries, somestimes one but the ball comes out not in consistent pace.
- Trunkshots work 2 shots in a row and then 3 shots. The ball lands in front of the trunk or flyes against the trunk.
- VUK to right ramp works every second ball.
- Flippers feel ok, then they feel overpowered and the targets creating airballs.

Sounds like your a candidate for the Power supply upgrade. Have you ordered it yet?

#6630 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Looks light I need to replace the second switch for the left lock. Even though I have tried bending the metal arm of the switch, the switch stays closed and also the metal arm is very stiff and blocks the ball. Is the switch available as a general part from pinball parts shops or is this something I need to get specifically from American Pinball? If this part is available from pinball parts shops, what is the part number?
Thanks for any info!

You mean upper playfield lock, correct?
Mine did the same thing. Have you tried loosing it up with the 2 small screws? Once loose, but still attached, see if it works now, if so, now tighten back up slowly. Worked for me.

#6660 5 years ago

Regarding Barry, Josh and API:
They have been AMAZING!
The level of professionalism, detailed help and humor has made them among the best (if not the best) start-up company in the business. The games are solidly built and beautifully crafted with enticing art and imagination.
You dont get a "cookie cutter" rehash of an old game or theme with these people. You get a unique experience that's above par.
I honestly believe they are on a vertical trajectory to be the among the best.
It has been an absolute joy to be a part of their endeavor as a customer.
Houdini is a wonderful exciting deep game that always brings me back to experience it over and over again.
Oktoberfest looks like pure FUN! I cant wait to play it at TPF.
Thanks guys for a great experience.

Second this!
Josh, Barry, Jim, Joe x2, Dhavel....stand up guys who have faith and courage to bring us new and exciting pinball games. ( Ive left a few out, but this stands for the Whole API team, including those on the floor building our games.)
Houdini Rocks, hope to have my Oktoberfest by Christmas!

#6680 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

So which is your favorite and why? and which is number 2 and why (since I have pretty good guess at what most people would pick as number 1)

"Man from Beyond", one of the best modes in pinball.

#6709 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

We gotcha covered. I believe Josh is gonna release an update within the next couple weeks and I am sure there would be at least 1 more update down the road.

As Always.
Top notch updates and information from Barry!
I am also optimistic that down the road demand will grow and it will be time, say 2020 to build another 50 Houdini's or more.

#6718 5 years ago

Houdini knocker sold out again...?
The credit slip is burning a hole in my pocket !

Barry said it was coming soon. They just had a busy expo week, and now there is a few things to catch up on.

#6723 5 years ago

Yup, chimping is penalized against your jackpot score during strait jacket multiball.

Ya, chimping is not fare!
I get it sometimes when im just reacting to balls.

#6726 5 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!
Congratulations on your Houdini purchase.
My guess is no on power supply if distributor already has it in stock. Talk to distro and have them hook you up.
Protectors are at Little shop of games.
And I make a cool Planchette and Header.

#6730 5 years ago

92 years ago the Master died on Halloween.
Happy Seance day! Take a moment today and lets play a game and bring him back from beyond.

20181030_212946 (resized).jpg20181030_212946 (resized).jpg
#6738 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder if there's any 'easter eggs' in the game that show up today.....?

Im going to look, that's deep code.
Knowing Rosh, its a possibility.

#6882 5 years ago

On my game I turned the glass around and put the tempered stamp under the lockdown bar

Thanks Great Tip.
Ordering Magic Glass soon.
Knocker on its way!

#6985 5 years ago

What location are people installing there New Knocker kit? I know the usual spot, but has anyone mixed it up?; ALA, Addams family or something else creative? Or up in the head, old school?
Lastly, who has installed one yet and how did it go?

#7020 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

It finally went back in. This was pretty upsetting. I guess I don't understand why there aren't locks above and behind, to entirely lock a playfield and allow it to roll smoothly, unless you want it to detach.
This has really freaked me out. I really watched several people's videos, and was incredibly cautious, but still.
Thank you for your kindness.

It will be fine. Did this to my Houdini first month I had it. I pulled to hard, then slid back and it came off rails and slammed to bottom.
Lesson learned, go slow at low pitch when lowered, then slide table back in just above lock bar.

#7034 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

So, I hooked up my knocker. Checked voltage and double checked that I plugged everything where it’s supposed to be plugged in. Then set knocker to mechanical and tested in CABINET - Dead as a door nail.

Yikes... everyone step back.
I believe the knocker to be independent of the new power supply. It's late and I'm giving up tonight however I'm determined to get this knocker working tomorrow.

#7043 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Yes, that's why it isn't working.. My mistake, sorry about that.

Is it wrong I want to install knocker in the Head upper Left side, similar to Bally/Williams Wpc era?
Is there a reason AP put it in lower cabinet?
Barry, do you feel this would hurt the Back glass or perhaps any other head damage?

#7046 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

You can do anything you want Eric, we just put it in the main cabinet because of ease.

Another quick one Barry.
Will Oktoberfest come with a Knocker?

#7082 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I thought I read a fix for this on a previous page, but I had an amazing game last night - the power supply is a MAJOR improvement in flipper feel, IMO.
Anyway, I was killing it in the game, when suddenly i got an off shot into the key lane, and that POS just drained SDTM. Then another, then a THIRD drained straight down. Do we have a reliable fix for the key lane ? If I fix that, the game will be perfect

I nudge to the right most always when I see the ball is slow out of Key lane down towards flippers. Works pretty good.

#7106 5 years ago
Quoted from Tokkentakker:

Might be a crazy idea......Considering replacing the seance targets with spring post style limit switches. They are narrow, sensitive, and have a pretty strong spring to take abuse and rebound. What do you think?
[quoted image]

No need, all shots are doable with ease and aiming.

#7108 5 years ago

Have to say the new Power supply really bulletproff's this game! Lower catapult is dead on and I always ignored the washer and cleaning fix listed. Never felt those were needed.
Glad to see Oktoberfest will have power supply included, as well as a sub in cabinet. Going to use my coupon for shaker and knocker on oktoberfest!
Knocker installed and is nice touch for houdini. I put mine at 1 1/2 inch from plate thinking it would make for louder knock, it doesn't, closer to plate is better and louder at 1 1/4 inch for maximum knock. Also, will most likely add wire and put it in head when I get a chance. Think it will be even louder up top.

#7226 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Again koodoo's to all staff of AP on handling issues in an utmost professional manner! The trivial issue on my end was handled with complete professionalism!
Thanks for setting a high standard with my first NIB experience!

2nd that!
Barry took my quick dumb call on knocker last week. Power supply question, connectors, ground wire, just top notch service as always.

#7231 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Just saw this story about a new Houdini documentary series being released soon, should be an interesting show:
https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2018/11/science-channel-announces-houdinis-last.html

Jan 6th, Ill set my Dvr. Thanks for the heads up!

#7232 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

The little display on the API Grand is just showing a white screen. How do I begin to try and fix it? Am I unscrewing that big plastic piece behind it?

Check connector to display on back, yes, unscrew the black plastic shroud.

#7235 5 years ago

BLACK FRIDAY THRU CYBER MONDAY SALE!!!!
$90 ALL 3 PIECES SHIPPED and Free Key FOB.
PM/Message me for details.

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple) - “MOD MAGIC! by Ericpinballfan for HOUDINI PINBALL BY AMERICAN PINBALL! PM/Message me for details. All 3 Pieces are for sale individually. If you only want one or two of the 3, I wi...”
2019-01-24
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 88 days
Viewed: 2680 times
Contributed to Pinside

#7258 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Has anyone here bought the API Houdini topper? Just wondering how neato of a purchase it would be.

Ive seen 3 different toppers now
There all nice, but none have tickled my fancy yet.

#7295 5 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

My game is firing balls without being plunged.
If I walk away from a 4 player game for awhile the game launches balls?
Madding.

There's a setting for ball in shooter lane. After a set amount of time the ball will be launched.
I have mine set to 60 seconds. Enough time to catch my breath, have a shot of tequila for Josh, then jump back in.
This is a good feature for machines on route or parties. If someone walks away the game will end in a few minutes.

#7377 5 years ago

Setting game up to easy....
I don't get it. I'm still on 3 ball 8 months in.
I like 3 ball and earn an extra ball or 2.
Ending the game, completely fine with that. I figure in a few years I might get there.

#7392 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

I'm getting two balls kicking out of the scoop consistently - any ideas? It also 3 out of 5 times does not recognize a shot to the scoop and ends up going into ball search mode.

Loose opto....
Have you lifted playfield recently??
There are 3 sets of optos on the subway leading to scoop. Outside ones like to pop off if you lift playfield and accidently bump them.

1 week later
#7473 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Installed my knocker and shaker kit yesterday, the shaker was a real PITA as there is so little clearance to the left side of the cabinet. I'm guessing this is because my early game had the slightly narrower cabinet the cover had to be forced into the spot as it hits the cabinet support rail for the cashbox. I love the knocker usage so far, very happy that it pops for extra balls!

Quoted from zahner:

Wait until you get into Bullet Catch, especially if you stack with Trunk Multiball - sounds like your popping popcorn.

After a month with Knocker, Im considering moving it to head, similar to Bally/Williams etc... maybe give it a louder sound.
Im on coil strength 15 right now for knocker.

#7489 5 years ago

Hey Gang!
Question about the Polk 10" powered sub.
What settings on back are you all using?
What is your amp in back box set at for sub?
Thanks

1 week later
#7562 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Odd Question (maybe)- I recently acquired a HUO TWDpro. We were breaking it down and the seller remembered that he had to empty the coin box. He had multiple games at his house and all were pay to play. He indicated that he was told by some game designer, that there were games that had modes that would only come up on pay vs free play. Midnight madness and others. Any truth to this? I've never heard this before.
What about Houdini? Any other easter eggs other then Morse code start button?

Ive had lots of machines. What I like about coin drop in home environment is the sound a game will make and that tactile function of inserting a coin. Addams, Indy, Fish Tales, Arabian Nights, they all make a great coin sound. My goal at home is to always win 1 or 2 games , that way there is always some credits on screen. Eventually it falls to zero statistically, just like any other one armed bandit.

#7579 5 years ago

Happy Holidays to American Pinball.
Kudo's to Barry and Rosh working on Friday!, and the whole American Pinball team at the factory.
Have a Great Holiday to All Houdini owners!

#7621 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

The Knocker is an add on kit from the API store. I am just curious on how useful it is on a home use game?

I REALLY enjoy the Knocker. I keep my pin on quarters and credits.

1 month later
#7952 5 years ago

What is everyone using on there playfields for wax? Ive got a little ball swirls going on and just want to be proactive.

1 week later
#8058 5 years ago

Get these:
ebay.com link » 25 1 1 16 Inch Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Replacement Pinball Machine Pinballs
The 100 I just bought are really nice.

And these are good for machines with magnets?

#8070 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

After 300 games, the whole playfield is saturated with these golf ball type dimples. This is supposed to be normal? I have not noticed this on older machines.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Its the clear coat, not the wood.

#8149 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Anyone know where I can get a leg bracket for the game (inside the cab). Mine is stripped out and needs to be replaced.
Is this a generic part or specific to Houdini?

Thats an easy one, email Barry at tech support, Im sure he will help out.

#8150 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I have a question regarding buying a new Houdini it is new in box but not from a distributor it is from someone who took it as a trade.
I’m just wondering how everybody’s experience with American pinball has been in regards to issues warranty etc. etc.
I played the game a few times and I really enjoyed it. I know it is a tight shot game and hope in a home environment I will enjoy it more but what concerns me a little is issues with playfield etc. is that blown way out of portion or realistic and how does the company handle this I’m not sure this game will even have a warranty seeing it is not coming from a distributor even though it is brand new in the box. I was told it was just picked up from the factory so I’m assuming it will.
Thx for any input

This is a home environment game for sure. Code is deep,stackable and challanging shots, note...I did not say hard shots.
I am 49 weeks into game #90....I love this game and have owned almost 100 pins, play in torny's, go to shows, and a tech support for Museum of pinball in Banning.
My point other than access to tons of games...
AP has created a masterpiece that takes way to much heat. One of the best companys Ive ever seen come out.
Even new cars have issues, part of life, things break, but very easy game to work on.
I reccomend the updated power supply and knocker.

#8164 5 years ago

I forgot....
The shaker is another must have for Houdini.
I also like the planchette mod at mod couple.

#8187 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

What do people use for plastic protectors?i can’t seem to find good pics of what is offered

Little shop of games is where I got mine.

#8212 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Picked up a Houdini this week and found these inside. What are these decals and ribbon cable for? The 2 square decals are extra spinner decals I assume?
[quoted image]

Yes, the top hat and rabbit are spinner decals.
The red drapes are spare decals for stage door mech.
The ribbon cable and mini board are for the mini playfield display. If you take shroud off back of mini display you can plug this in and adjust the brightness and contrast of the display.

#8217 5 years ago

When will the Pingraffix Backglass mod be available?

#8301 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

The switch closest to the post was not allowing the ball past, it would trigger the switch but when the post dropped the ball couldn’t get out.
I spent some time adjusting with no luck, had to remove the switch and play with it for a bit but it’s now a little messed up but working 90% of the time. I’m going to replace the switch and see if that helps.
The other switch in the smaller catapult is just really loose but I bent it up so it seems to be working now.
Time for more “testing”

What's the number of your machine?
Congrats and welcome to the club!

#8360 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I have checked the switch and it works fine, it is stiffer then the other two and it holds the ball from advancing to the post
I’ve adjusted it literally about 20 times

When i first got my game a year ago the middle switch was to tight on the switch itself. There are 2 screws on that switch, very small, loosen then reset and tighten them until it fells secure. Worth a shot. Never had a problem since.

#8443 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

enhancements/fixes also making their way into Houdini

Otto better come out of the magic shop in future code.

#8452 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I have been taken out of retirement..
Looks like Dhaval wants me to go to a couple of shows.
Thinking I might go to Freeplay this year, last year had to cancel at the last minute.
Pinburg
Southern fried
Kalamazoo, Pinball at the ZOO
But I need to confirm these shows with team API.

Don't forget Golden State Pinball Festival in Lodi Ca May 17-19!!

#8456 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

JJP pins have daily high scores. I can see how they'd be fun for a party, but they're just too many screens that clutter an attract mode on route.

Agree, daily's get old quickly, especially in Home environment. Adding it to latest code in WOZ has been annoying.

#8481 5 years ago

I year of Proud Houdini ownership, delivered 3/14/18, game #90. 1165 plays.
20190220_220353 (resized).jpg20190220_220353 (resized).jpg

#8485 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

The larger sizes look fine.
[quoted image]

They look good. Red and yellow will be the ones most used, green every once in a while.

#8486 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Holy crap!
You have a Gilligan's Island!
Nice topper!!!

Thanks Tuna. That Gilligan topper just happened, had the lamp from a trip to Hawaii years ago. Used fathom backer topper piece of ebay. Just evolved. Cut the hole in minnow myself , need to finish the bow. Add an Led strip and you have Gilligan super topper. 4 power sources up there. Theres more art off camera.

#8488 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

The Gilligan's Island topper is very cool indeed. Nice work. In 20+ years of collecting, I have never played one. Is it a fun game?

Pretty damn fun to try and beat Kona!

#8490 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I tried to take some better photos of the 3/16, and it just doesn't appear good to me.
[quoted image]

Hummm, if package is unopened, could it be debris?
If amazon, send it back.
But, once opened will that debris just pop out?

#8495 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

There appears to be a white circle of plastic around each of the inner magnetic heads, and looking at it sealed, it looks like this was jarred loose or filled in way too much. Definitely going to try an Amazon exchange, just figured I'd check here first, given one or two people might own these.
Thanks for the input Eric!

I own 2 sets of these Kline tools, one short, one long. Use them contantantly. The trick, unscrew all the way until it's on the last thread, then pull nut driver off, then remove nut by hand. It sucks when they get stuck up in there and you can't get them out.

1 week later
#8560 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I attempted to put some Comet 2-smd frosted LEDs in the coin door last weekend and they melted from overheating in a few minutes. Anyone else had issues replacing any lights?

I did the same thing, say 9 months ago. Freaked me out how fast the bulbs smoked.

Quoted from meSz:

You probably put the wrong bulbs in .... the coin door takes 161 not 555

This should be a a key post;
161 bulbs, also should be in manual.
Would love to see a full published manual when time is right. Yes, i lnow its online.

#8568 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I don't see us doing a printed manual, I know of at least one person who had it printed at FedexOffice, spiral bound for a reasonable price (for black and white, color is a lot, lot more).

So much for me getting the Leather bound Embossed Emblem manual.
It was my idea to make these a year ago...
After research and pricing at min would cost me 250+ a shot to make, no profit item.
And dont Pm me please. NOT MAKING THEM.

#8583 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Wow. I just had my best game yet. Holy crap that was a blast
[quoted image][quoted image]

It can be such a Thrill and Rush to get it all going. Great Score!!!!
Did i mention exhausting as well?

#8651 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Just checked with Barry, your emails were in his junk folder. You should hear from him shortly.

Make sure you are in contact with your distributor, I believe a solution will be available shortly if not already.

Rosh on customer service, emails, shipping, programming. He also sweeps the shop up at lights out.
Will you soon be offering in home consultations?
When is the Australia tour and in home repairs coming, in July?
I know, I know I kid, its when Dhavel pays for the ticket.

#8653 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

C'mon April 6th!

4 days.....
Still working on math riddle of 3/24 vs 4/6 1874.
Other than 13 days difference?

#8657 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Your math puddle makes no sense....?

His real Birthday vs his declared Birthday.
See, it makes no sense.

#8661 5 years ago

Happy be-lated Birthdate Houdini Bump!

Quoted from finnflash:

New code today?

#8680 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Hopefully will be fixed one day! Houdini is still fresh here, we love it. Installed the eye light blockers today too, it's a nice improvement.

When is the last time you checked your optos in ball lock subway? 6 elements there, 3 each side covered in sticky foil. Make sure they are all seated fully. Even lifting playfield once can jog them loose.

#8710 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Man thats a quick turnaround!!

Rosh doesn't sleep. Looking forward to install new code tonight!

#8741 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Cut the connector off the end and strip back the 2 wires.
Put the red wire into the terminal block with the existing yellow wire
Put the black wire into the terminal block with the existing black wire

Thank you for posting this info. This was on my list this summer.

Where is the terminal block you used?

#8744 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

[quoted image]
Attached a picture for you that shows the entire power supply. You can see on the left side is where I have the red and black wires. Red to yellow and black to black.

Thank you very much!!!! Very helpful!

#8749 5 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

My game wont update, I insert a USB stick and it says copying audits, reboot machine. The pkg is on there. Its a 32GB stick... odd that it wont read it.

You have to make sure usb stick is swiped, empty. Then after download before copying file to usb stick, make sure none of this is there. (1) , rosh just posted above as well.

#8755 5 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Thanks I have re-formatted the drive, tried different drives.. its really odd... it says reading drive for a split second that it says copying audits... and never updates.

A few above have posted to.
I use an 8gb formatted to Fat32.
This latest update is roughly 1.5 gb.
A USB stick less than 8gb will have issues for some reason.

#8759 5 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I figured it out and its a WACKY one... When formatting the USB on my mac there is a bug with formatting to FAT32 which mistakingly creates the creation date for the format of December 31st 1969 see image... Its using UNIX EPOCH TIME to format the drive.. and it mistakingly reports that date. Once I formatted the disk on a windows pc... it now reports the correct date on the USB stick and it now finds the update. I guess the creation date confused the pin's os? I posted this here in case someone else has the issue.
Thanks for all your help as always, and KUDOS to JOSH for quick response... [quoted image]

Im a pc guy, no apple products. Didn't even think about that angle. Thanks for the update and this type of info always helps the group/club.

#8775 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

A couple times we got served a second ball tonight, like Phantom-O mentioned. once with a jail escape (out of the scoop) and then again with Master of mystery, my wife then hit the seance multiball which ended prematurely ( I don't think the game knew we had an extra ball on deck).

Im getting the same, also getting un-earned combo shots as mentioned above.
My un-earned balls are when ball enters subway from magic shop or stage it seems.

#8830 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Who do I contact about getting the metal gate replaced?

Stage Alley or shooter lane wire?
If Stage lane, forget about it, mine broke first week, i put another in a month later, it bent after a week, i removed it, a year later I dont miss it and being gone does not affect game play.
Yes, there's a small chance to light a lock from pops if your lucky and it isn't already lit.

#8849 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

No, that is correct they just are just using the wrong term, I started to correct Eric before but was afraid I'd sound like a d@#$.

Your right, its Stage Alley. Key lane has no gate.

Quoted from Lilpro66:

My game has the wire gate on the stage alley lane but not the key lane. Is this incorrect?

Yes, correct. I should have at least 2 coffee's before posting in the morning.

#8854 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Alternative is to play SDTM Chicken! Will the ball bounce clean off the post or slip down on the left of the post and into oblivion? Can it be tipped with the left flipper? Can I time a nudge just right? I win the chicken game about 55% of the time. Sort of fun in a frustrating way. Grrr.

Was thinking almost the same. Sure have become dependant on that center post. A good nudge from the left side has been my go to for a while on key lane drains.

#8876 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I have a couple questions after going through some settings.
1. I found a setting for stage eject that was off. When I turned it on and tested it, it did not eject a ball. Should it?
2. I noticed the metal guide under the trunk moves. When would the ball not be sent to the upper catapult? Seems like mine always goes to the catapult.

1. Not all games let the ball come back out. Mine just rolls the ball around on set ball underneath. Originally rosh and co were working to make that a feature. Never really worked. After a moment, stage door closes and ball comes to subway. Best to just turn it off. I had it on for months with ball never coming out, just a visual.
2. The plate under trunk will move during trunk shot to let it go into subway. All other times it stays there for airballs and such to guide it to upper catapult.
3. Ya, your settings are way to easy. Also, are you on 5 ball? I suspect you are. To each his own on ball count, ive had the game on both. I was on 3 ball for 9 months to test code.

#8878 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

FWIW mine works perfectly, and I love the occasional times when the game ejects a ball from there. It sort of pops lazily out, but you still have to be ready! You may try leaving it on during a game and seeing if it will come out then

Table pitch could have a lot to do with it to.
Im at about 6.4 deg. I find the game to be at that sweet spot with coil strengths.

#8889 4 years ago

I second that!
Thanks for sharing trip and pics #PhantomO.

#8892 4 years ago

Rosh- Was there a new code update coming soon?

#8914 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There are 2 water torture mods - suggest you identify which one you have. The photo is not clear.

I have the Hooked one, need to put it in, Pull the Mod couple out, sorry Dave, this one has more detail.
Rosh was adding programming for it, almost a mod first. Just shows you what a good guy Josh is.
Damage in pick looks fixable and am wondering what epoxy best to fix that?

#8919 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Feel free to reach out to me and we can get this fixed. It’s very possible we had a failed print. No worries always want the customer happy.

Were your ears ringing? Lol

2 weeks later
#8958 4 years ago

It's easy to test for magnetized balls.
Pull them out, place them on a flat surface and see if they get attracted to each other.
Also line them up and see if you can tow a ball from a ball or 2.

Dead on, had to replace WOZ balls 2 weeks ago and used this test. They where original to game with over 1300 plays.
Im at about 1500 plays on this set of balls with Houdini, they are still not magnetized and were marcos brand new.

#8961 4 years ago

Been a long time since Ive had any issues.
My scoop switch has decided to become very finicky. Works in all tests and i hear actuator metal clicking the little red button down.
Im beginning to think the end that lowers into housing white body has broken a bit.
During game ball will never make switch work, thus no seance, no combo shot, etc...
I think i need a new switch. Going to try a super bend up on actuator when i get home.
Fingers crossed, but few hours today fiddling with it, this is all I got.

#8964 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd try a new switch. You could have a flaky one.
LTG : )

Yep, just replace the switch.

Ive looked in every box, drawer and coin door.
Ill email Barry tomorrow and order (2) of these switches, and a catapult switch. My lower catapult actuator arm is very knocked around and loose as well.

1 week later
#8996 4 years ago

Delete

#8998 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes, he mentioned it in his post. EOS switches too.

Oopps...to many words today.

#9030 4 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Hey all, what does the water torture mod support mean in the notes from the latest code release?[quoted image]

Hookedonpinball made a 3D amazing detail water torture mod. Rosh was very kind and integrated some code for it.

#9085 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Does anybody else get rejects from their milkcan chute? I swear that 70% of my shots get completely into the chute and hit the guide at the 10:00 position and then kick out. I am about to reshape that guide but I wonder if there is any wiggle room. I might elongate the screw holes on the middle mount.
I'm curious if anyone else has this experience.

Oh Ya, its normal. Im a year plus into my game. Id figure i would get to this fix to. However, its part of the challenge. Soft milk can shot is the key.

#9091 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

You may have posted this before, but do you have any pictures that would show what you did? Thanks...

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pinbits Foam works well too

Several pages back. Think vireland mentioned just some black sticky felt from any craft store. Line turnaround with felt after cutting to fit.

#9094 4 years ago

REALLY BIG shout out to API customer support and Barry!
15 month owner of game and the customer support is amazing. Contacted Barry and he was able to help me out very quickly.
Top Notch service as always and a very dedicated team at that factory!
Over on the oktoberfest thread I see the same dedication and looking forward to many, many years of American pinball unique games.

#9099 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Instead of having the speaker wire hanging out the the machine I installed a phono plug on the bottom of the machine with internal wireing going to the amplifier in the back box.

Nicely Done!! The whole project, speaker and mount inside cabinet for wire.
Brings me back to an idea I've toyed with for a Year.....
Start drilling holes in my cabinet??!!

#9113 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Yes it's Strange but i won't give Up this Game and Hope for AP Support

Ive been reading wishing I could help more.
Which country are you in?
Been thinking about the inline power filter on the other side of the power cord in back of cabinet. You go from wall outlet, right into that filter, then to either transformer or the new power supply.
Is that correct filter for euro power?

3 weeks later
#9240 4 years ago

The kind of side rail damage can only be a slam of head from almost as big as drop you can get. Or, the dreaded ratchet strap, over cranking those around when head is lowered.

#9255 4 years ago

Are the main fuses intact?
Power cord tightly inserted?

Quoted from LTG:

I'd start by plugging something into the service outlet. See if you have power that far. If not then check wall outlet, power cord into game, main fuse type stuff.

Quoted from mbwalker:

And the breaker in the electrical panel too...

And you have to pay the edison bill.
And feed the hamster on the wheel.

#9272 4 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I’m trading my HUO Monster Bash for a Houdini + cash next weekend. Super pumped about picking one of these beauties up, can someone tell me if the March 2018 production date is later in the run and are there any know issues I should address? The seller already did the American Pinball power supply upgrade.
Thanks[quoted image]

That is game #89.....I have game #90.
You will be fine. If it doesnt have the knocker buy one.

2 weeks later
#9391 4 years ago

I almost sold my hobbit waiting 2 years for a meaningful update.

I think you just nailed it with the Hobbit comment. 2 years, ya about right, yet it happened...finally having a massive update.
Josh and ferret are great committed guys, thats why they got the job, and some amazing talent to boot. We also have some pretty amazing ex JJP guys at American Pinball. Jim Thornton and Joe Balcer.
I believe we have a very similar company as JJP here, and the drive and committment behind closed doors is amazing!!!
There will be a Houdini update coming, there will be more games that will get the same treatment. Houdini is really only about 18 mo old off production line and there were about 8 updates in that time. Beta testers and Josh responding to emails with improvements.
Pinball takes time.
I almost forgot a few other players....
The customer service is Amazing at American pinball!!!! Barry , Dan, Nirmal have also provided some of the best service in the industry passing previous holder JJP.
The past 3 years have seen such an explosion of pinball surpassing the past 2 decades combined!!!
We are all very lucky.

1 week later
#9427 4 years ago
Quoted from jfre81:

I hated this game when I first encountered it in league, because that game was very short and I could just about count my score on my fingers. But then had the good fortune the other day of going to a nearby location with four credits already loaded on Houdini.
After close to an hour playing, and starting to get the hang of the tight shots, I went over to WH20 next. Felt like I could drive a truck up the mountain ramp. Scored a lot better than normal. I think I found a new pre-league warmup game.

Yes, Houdini is a great batting cage prior to going to home plate. It will make you a better player. I think i first said this a year ago.

4 weeks later
#9543 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

My stage spotlight flasher bulb is dead. Is that a generic bulb I can get on a pinball website or something specialized?

Quoted from BarryJ:

G.I are running off of 5V
Spotlights are 12V

Barry's key post #5966
12v for flasher.

#9545 4 years ago

Did anyone ever get the Pingraffix Houdini backglass lite up mod?
Teased earlier in year, then at a few shows.
But nothing since.

1 month later
#9614 4 years ago

Happy Halloween Houdini fans.
Harry Houdini seance day. Make sure you play and bring him back from the dead.

#9640 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

I'm looking at pinball life and do I want wedge or bayonet style flasher lamps? When I do change my light bulb is it just pulling it out and sticking a new one in or am I unscrewing stuff? I'm completely inexperienced on this.

Wedge, just pull out, no screws.
Its ok, we all started out New at one point.
Don't be afraid to dig in and learn.

1 week later
#9682 4 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

This all seems so complicated. It’s a HUO machine. Do you think it is necessary to do/worth the effort?
I bought the Cliffy. I sunk the cost but worried I’ll screw up a perfectly calibrated , nicely playing machine for a piece that might be overkill.

About 1500 plays, no cliffy, no wear.
My secret, i put tiny piece of mylar over scoop edge about a week into ownership.

2 weeks later
#9727 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I just buy bulk carbon on ebay. Some people treat the balls like the hifi enhuesitics treat speaker wire (i.e. some exotic thing). No reason to replace what came w/the pin.

I agree and disagree. There is no magic formula for the best pinballs, carbon for magnets.
But balls from the factory can suck, their in large boxes at 2 to 5,000, they get dinged up.inspect the balls carefully when you open the game.

#9733 4 years ago
Quoted from mark-g:

I've been screwing around with the lower catapult, trying to get it on target and not clipping the plastic ramp it flys over, shimmed the mech, etc.
Finally installed new coil stop, measured the new/old, and new was 2mm longer, totally changed the arch of the throw, I'm on the money now.

And where did you get this new coil stop? Exact length of stop nub?

#9735 4 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

I'm planning on buying the shaker and installing that. Anyone else think there are other must do's?

Shaker/Knocker/upgraded power supply...I recommend all 3 Highly!
There is a Black Friday sale this weekend, save 20%.

#9741 4 years ago
Quoted from mark-g:

I got the new coil stops from Pinball Life, just last week, they were listed as the standard bally/stern stops, I think there is only one kind.
My original stop extends 6.5mm (about 400 games on it) new one is 8.5mm. had to drop the coil power to 24.[quoted image]

I think you broke the code.
Thank you for posting great intel!

1 week later
#9771 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Still have to wait till March for the unveil.
Plus, I don't know what unveil means, could be they are just announcing the name up to having a finished machine, or anything in between.

I'm becoming less and less a fan of so called reveals.
The product should be in the upper 90's complete and ready to ship. Current reveals of late seem to create a negative side to a new game. Complaints abound for artwork, ramps etc... Imagine a reveal were I can call my distro that day and have the game within 2-3 weeks shipped to my front door. Dont mind a code update or 2 within the next year, but code should also be in the 90% range at ship.
Im also in show business so I'm a little picky and jaded. Ive worked countless reveals where the pazzazz of the event is part of the hype. Just once, just once, would love to see some flare to a reveal. Lighting, music, haze, lasers, whatever, make a show of it!.
Thats what these machines Are, a Show under glass.

#9785 4 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Just ordered the shaker and knocker today with my credit from getting the power supply upgrade, can’t wait to put them in!

They truly bring the game to another level.

1 week later
#9795 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I am just about ready for some beta testers for the next code release. Like most betas, I will start with just a couple of folks and then expand if nothing significant pops up.
While the release will have a couple of new features and rule tweaks, it is primarily around improving game flow, ball management, choreography, lightshows, etc. There were some pretty significant changes made under the hood, so this Beta will likely last for a few weeks.
If you are interested in participating, send me a PM with your email address.

I left my game on most of the day on Halloween.....was really hoping for a seance eater egg. Well maybe in this code update.

1 week later
#9802 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Yeah the update was to be EOY 2019

I can't and won't speak for Rosh about a firmware update.....
But, several people are beta testing large update from him that came in a few weeks ago.
Personally, my lower catapult is doing better.

1 month later
#9946 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

I just downloaded the files. I will send them to you tonight. The machine(s) were on version 19.12.23B

Thats the new beta code in review right now.

4 weeks later
#10046 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I've had my Houdini for just over a week. I'm already considering selling it because of the flippers.
Something is definitely wrong here....
It's a shame...other than the flipper issues, it seems like a great pin. I have my doubts that I'll buy another AP machine because of this.

Never really seen or heard it discussed....
Flipper issues, endless EOS reccomend...
I have no EOS, I do have upgraded power supply.
I did a small trick about 6 months ago, really really helped, kind of stole the idea from LTG.
I think the flipper springs are standard stock and are to long. I snipped off about 5 rotations and made a new loop. Flippers have been amazing since.
Make your flipper springs shorter.

#10049 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hmm. Did you happen to take any photos of this process?

Quoted from LTG:

Sounds like my broken spring fix. Only remove 5 loops.
LTG : )[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Exactly!!+ No , I dont have pictures.
But, the amount of spring removed is about 1/4 inch. Thanks to LTG for long ago Intel for the idea. I just had a light bulb moment.

#10060 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I prefer the clear jeweled ones just because it looks more "classic" to me but they both look great. FWIW the way I found out you guys switched was by seeing two side by side at Pincinnati two years ago, it was pretty noticeable to me but again I own the game and play it a LOT.

I've re-read the last 10 posts three times and still dont get it.
Jeweled is Bader?
Clear/white border are Mirco?

Quoted from bobukcat:

Oddly enough I don't have any great ones though I thought I did, I'm out of town right now or I'd go snap some. Here's what I do have.[quoted image][quoted image]

So this is a Bader Bobukcat?

1 week later
#10088 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I’m looking forward to a Houdini soon.
Ive heard knocker is probably an essential extra. Anything else from owners?
Stay safe -Thx All

+1 For Knocker and Shaker motor. I have upgraded power supply, and magic glass to.
All are nice upgrades.

1 week later
#10106 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Josh Kugler led the herculean effort to code this game - I believe he's the only developer who has ever worked on it (I think? Maybe Ferret has helped out, but I think he started with Oktoberfest) . anyway Josh is still at AP. -AND- Barry who is now at JJP is still helping out on AP questions, which is mind-blowing.

Barry is an amazing Guy. Jack was lucky to nab him.
Yes, Barry helped out on a question yesterday. Im sure Jack has no issue with his continued support of AP. Jack is also that kind of really good guy. These companies are in this together, continued support builds a foundation for great games.
Code update. I will not speak for Josh, but do know he is continuing to support Houdini and working on next code release. Its in beta now and when life gets back to normal a little Im sure we will get it.
I wish all our pinball community safe passage through this crisis. Everyone just stay inside and play pinball.

#10116 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

There is beta code for Houdini that has been in test for a couple of months. I had hoped to release it officially last month, but, I have not been able to carve out time to respond to a few issues that were found in the beta. Right now my focus is on getting HW code ready for submission to Mattel for approval.
I'm not sure when I'll get back to Houdini, could be a week or two, could be a month. Overall the issues with the beta are pretty minor, and no doubt this code is a nice improvement from the last release. Since there is going to be a delay before it will be official, and given that the issues raised are relatively minor, anyone who wants to install the beta code is welcome to do so . . .
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yYNutTlgBKa5EgKbSkk8IxSNift2tIPp

Well, there you go. Josh came in with a big mic drop, I mean code drop.

#10139 4 years ago
Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

Thanks for the advice. I bought the game NIB in November (with current code loaded). It just started doing this earlier this week. I will change the balls.
Thanks everyone and stay safe.

Have you lifted playfield recently?
If so, this to me sounds like an opto issue in the seance scoop. Even if you haven't lifted playfield they, or one could have gotten loose over time.

1 week later
#10273 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm not near my games either during this nightmare so I can't look but IIRC the chains only show progress on Escape Missions (green), Movie Modes (blue) and Combos (Purple).

Correct.

hold the flipper down for the starus screen.
I do it before launching a ball sometimes.

Correct, hold flipper button for status screen.

#10277 4 years ago
Quoted from tlukka:

After the new beta code update I am finding Houdini reboots before it gets to the last ball during "Clear Houdini's Balls". Is anybody else experiencing this?

Edit-these are Beta code issues.

Hummm.....haven't seen it because, i haven't tried that yet. I will also double check this one in a bit.
I had a Pm with a ball drain question. I know ive been on this thread awhile, but your always better off posting on this group Club thread for faster, group effort.
Ball drain taking awhile to register, say 10-15 seconds. Ive seen this few times, maybe a tracking issue.

#10288 3 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Will someone explain pleae how movie binge works? The numbers start at 3 and goo up as you make shots, then go down as you make shots. Occasioinally one of the posters looms at you. I notice it adds balls after certain shots. Just not sure what is happening. Thanks.

I love this question. 2nd...Rosh??

#10293 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

There is beta code for Houdini that has been in test for a couple of months. I had hoped to release it officially last month, but, I have not been able to carve out time to respond to a few issues that were found in the beta. Right now my focus is on getting HW code ready for submission to Mattel for approval.
I'm not sure when I'll get back to Houdini, could be a week or two, could be a month. Overall the issues with the beta are pretty minor, and no doubt this code is a nice improvement from the last release. Since there is going to be a delay before it will be official, and given that the issues raised are relatively minor, anyone who wants to install the beta code is welcome to do so . . .
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yYNutTlgBKa5EgKbSkk8IxSNift2tIPp

Most current beta above. ^^^^^^^^^^^
Expand that post open.

#10315 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Currently running V18_12_12 so sounds like I'm good-to-go Code wise.

I up-voted you twice because you finally got a Houdini Kim!

#10320 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

We've had our HOUDINI since TPF 2018.
Here's a pic of our lonely PS ;-})
What does the supplemental PS cost as I'm sure I'm out of the warranty period ?
I'll be updating to the Beta Code later today - Thanks Rosh !!
[quoted image]

Yes, get the extra power supply from the API store. Should be $150.
Glad your doing good Kim, we haven't spoke since the double topper connector's you made for me on my TOTAN.

#10337 3 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

What is the recommended degree pitch for Houdini? Thought I read somewhere too keep all legs at lowest position but not sure.

Few ways to say it. Leg levelers screwed all the way in, is the starting point.

#10368 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I’m excited to work with API and their customers!
As a community member, I know how valuable these club threads can be for information.
I’ll be getting up to speed with the company and the games over the next several weeks and will be reading the threads to see where I can help.
Should you need an answer from API directly; [email protected] or 833 API HELP

Did you get hired too?
If so welcome!
Going to miss those aprons, .

1 week later
#10466 3 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Is there a fix for preventing the ball from getting stuck behind the planchette? Didn't bother me before cause it's fairly infrequent but it is highly annoying when it happens.

Turn planchette by hand, bracket turns a little.
You can find a area if you turn it to the right a little the ball will always roll out. Test with glass off.

1 month later
#10738 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Add a bass driver to the cab? You mean cutting into the wood?
The only physical adjustment I think I need to make are with the pops. They aren’t a sensitive as they should be

If your on Day 1 or 2 don't worry about the pops yet. I found mine to loosen up over time, kind of like a new motor, give them a 100 plays to work them selves in, then reevaluate.

1 month later
#11012 3 years ago

My Houdini and Woz live next to each to.

#11014 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Funny. Here's my game room:[quoted image]

Awesome, the Houdini next to WOZ club.
We're at 4!

#11053 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Reporting back for duty....
1. Added the following:
- knocker
- shaker
- side art
- Cliffies
2. Adjustments:
- adjusted 3 switch ball lock. Just had to bend a little. At first, I pushed whole unit towards the pop bumpers and that restricted the pops. Move back and just bent individual switches to get right contact.
- Seance scoop. After playing with power and getting no change, I just used 3 thin washers on one side and now it works 100%. So, rather than bending the scoop, you might want to try using different number of washers to adjust.
3. Complaints:
- Sound seems to be a bit muffled. Not sure I can adjust or if installing a better sub would help.
- I have updated power supply, but like others, the flippers don't seem "snappy" like Stern games. My Willy Wonka also has relatively weak flippers, but not as bad as Houdini
Overall, I'm very pleased and this pin will be staying a long time. I'm leaving room for one more pin.....Jersey Jack...
[quoted image]

I don't see 30" of space left for another.

#11060 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

We need a mod maker to make a kick-ass 3d-molded... or some sort of metal/faux metal replacement for the American Pinball sticker on the upper part of the backbox. That's just begging for something that doesn't look so cheap. Actually, that's the only part of the two AP games that I'd change (physically speaking).

https://themodcouplepinball.com/collections/api-houdini-custom-mods-collection/products/copy-of-api-houdini-planchette-houdini-version-custom-3d-engraved-mod

#11061 3 years ago
20180602_194826 (resized).jpg20180602_194826 (resized).jpg
#11063 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Something exactly like that... but says American Pinball (to be used on all 3 games)

Gatcha....the problem.
Getting American Pinball's permission.

#11065 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It's a little surprising that they went to such great lengths with the build quality, but opted for a cheap bubble sticker. Ultimately, doesn't matter. But you'd think someone in the design or marketing department would have put their foot down.

I've been saying this for 3 years and 6 months since i first received my Houdini. So I made this mod to cover it up.

1 week later
#11249 3 years ago

Available and very nicely detailed.
Josh put in a few lines of code for it to.

2 months later
#11615 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Printed my own Q today![quoted image]

Selling some?

#11616 3 years ago

Happy Al' Hallow's Eve Houdini Fans.
I have made a Limited run of Planchett's again for Halloween and Houdini Seance Day!
Back in my Mod Magic Shop and ready to ship today.
Play your Houdini Tomorrow and Let's bring him back from the beyond.
Tomorrow is the 94th anniversary of his death.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

image (3) (resized).jpgimage (3) (resized).jpg
#11618 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

No - I have way too much going on to do mods at this point. He’s available on thingiverse though!

Thanks, I totally Understand. Life is busy.
Took me forever to make more planchette's.

#11620 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Fun upgrade. Very well made. Here’s a photo of an installed planchette. I added a bit of diffusion plastic on the back since my game has the more cut crystal looking inserts. Thought it looked better.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the Pic!
Diffusion gel is a good idea.

#11625 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The optos that detect locked balls can get knocked out of alignment on the subway pretty easily. Pull the PF and have make sure they are securely mounted and aligned properly to the holes.

What bobukat said above.
The foil tape to hold the optos especially on cabinet side isnt the best tape. I put just a little dab of hot glue on those 2 years ago covered them up with a stronger gorilla tape and they have held since. Watch not to bump those 3 optos on cabinet side everytime you lift and lower playfield.

#11628 3 years ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

This is pretty cool. Looks like they programmed houdini not to state facts on 10/31
I changed the date in the machine multiple times, and it works like it should, until the date is 10/31 then the game goes black on facts and tips. Anyone else with correct date wanna test this theory? Im running 19.4.7
If in fact intentional, kind of a cool easter egg marking his death on this date.

Its Haunting Magic!

3 weeks later
#11711 3 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

I’m picking up Houdini this week
Low plays,like new,etc
All these power problems in these threads has me thinking should I order the cap kit now?allng with the knocker kit?
Thanks
Marshall

Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

I’m picking up Houdini this week
Low plays,like new,etc
All these power problems in these threads has me thinking should I order the cap kit now?allng with the knocker kit?
Thanks
Marshall

Yes, and Yes. The knocker is an awesome upgrade and very well integrated into mods and game play. Cap Kit is also a nice upgrade.
Plus, American Pinball is having a Black Friday sale this week.

1 month later
#11930 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We are currently in the process of final testing for the next code release that I expect will be officially released in next couple of weeks. However, given this is a long holiday weekend and many of you have had your normal news years plans ruined, I figured I would make the latest test code available to anyone who wants to give it a spin and start the new year with something new.
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k0es5s-KLTykKUPYXIE2XAQCdvE3Pzhh/view?usp=sharing
Release notes (in progress):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K9wHYLnpNHu42EsXvKRLdpxKroql0eAL/view?usp=sharing
If you give it a try, let me know if you run into any issues.
Make it a great new year!
Josh

Josh- Happy New Year to you and your Family and everyone at American Pinball.!
What an Amazing year for all of you.
Hot Wheels during a Pandemic- Incredible!
Best to Everyone, all of Us, may we all be safe, healthy and wise in 2021.
Life..is short. Play more pinball.
Peace and Love.
God bless all that passed this year.

1 month later
#12356 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Not sure about the shape but I'd think that the thickness would be a problem. The gap between the playfield and the cabinet is very tight. The art blades are paper thin.

Mirror Blades do not work in Houdini. Confirmed attempt. They are to thick for this game.

#12358 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think you and I both have pretty early games and it was (unofficially) reported that those cabinets were made too narrow by about 1/8-1/4" but were still usable. I wonder if later games may have more tolerance between the PF and cabinet.

Very True. You and I are the the first 100 games or so. I believe the newer cabinet didn't happen till 280 or so.
However. I'm a tech on game 400 something and still not much room for mirror blades.

#12362 3 years ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

I've always been interested in this. Does my build number coincidence with my serial number? Example hou1364 would be game the 364th built.
My thought was hou1 is the model and last 3 numbers are build order. Is this correct?

Quoted from bobukcat:

Yes in general but I doubt there is a really strict order number to serial number translation but close enough to count.

I like how JJP puts the damn date on the machine. Makes complete sense.
Yes, your game is 364.

#12375 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

How about the light in the pad lock (lower playfield)... that doesn’t seem to coordinate with lock is lit?

The locks are how many balls are locked.
There are 2 at very bottom that dont light up.

1 week later
#12391 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I know there was a ton in the Houdini release, but I find it interesting that one particular item has not gotten any chatter . . .

WAIT, WHAT??
Did the morse code change?

2 months later
#12604 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

@ zahner
Shooting Seance in order - I have done them in order about once also .

Count me in for once at best, over a year ago older code.

2 months later
#12718 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I have not removed any. I wanted to add a couple of new ones in that release, but, when I looked at the machines that had come out since the last update, not a ton of options, since most were pretty much already covered, you know, rock bands, super heroes, etc. and also a bit tricky since can't really get new voice calls for them. Possible if that actor does more work for us I can get a few done, as I do have a couple in mind. Although probably not likely before the next Houdini code release.

There is one I have never made visible, since at the time we felt it might be a bit too much salt in the wound, but since tragedy plus time equals comedy, maybe someday (and it was not a tragedy). Also not sure if I have a voice call for it. Hmm, now I am wondering if I had that visible in one of the test codes packages I gave you.

Well I've heard your voice over work so I know you can just do the "sayings"for the Easter eggs.

#12731 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I think my favorite magic shop hat trick is Groot. I haven't had the machine very long, how many different ones are there?

I like when Rocket comes out of magic shop and hat for personal reasons.
Had your rabies shot?

#12733 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

If memory serves it was your son who suggested that line when you were testing a code release.

It was! Thanks for this eternal memory Rosh!
He was 11 at the time. Its still exciting every time Rocket appears.

1 week later
#12814 2 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Just so others know what exactly caused the reboot of Houdini in King Of Cards video mode, here it is:
Once KOC video mode starts, immediately throw the first card from the right flipper into the first target screen
with a double ring opportunity and make both rings.

I love making both rings during King of Cards.

1 week later
#12854 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Awesome, thanks!
And I'd be posing the same-ish questions if thinking about a Stranger Things Premium/LE.
I have a pro which works great. But 75% of the owners thread is premium and LE owners making adjustments so stuff works right.

Happens with every pinball.
Geez, the work Ive put into my White water with the Ball Lock opto's is stupid. Wanted to sell the damn thing.
Ive done every "Fix" on my Houdini, there not hard and you learn, and it's rewarding.
Hell, same on my Led Zep prem, did every fix love the game.

#12875 2 years ago

Great!
Now what questions did you have?

He's only made 2 posts. Still in the first 10 posts learning curve. These things take time.
Last one was 4 years ago. The plot thickens.

3 months later
#13327 2 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Are they running more Houdinis right now?

YES!!!!
NEW Houdini's are going in Boxes this week!
Not kidding. There is what I want to call Houdini 2.0 being made.
Has the upgrades listed several posts above including bottom cabinet subwoofer.

2 weeks later
#13453 2 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

It’s going to be a FUN Holiday weekend!!!! I’m in the club!!!
[quoted image]

Congratulations!!
Welcome to the club.
Love the warehouse shot of you picking up the game.

2 months later
#13637 2 years ago

I know, I love this game, just completely out of room...

Thank you for being an asset to the Houdini club all this time. Your tips and tech have helped me and many others.
Sad to see you go.
Who ever buys your machine will be lucky to get a Dialed in masterpiece.
Your always welcome back.

#13648 2 years ago

Finally, after 3 months I have another batch of Houdini Planchette's available.
Thank you to the wait list, and all have been messaged.

20220211_135559 (resized).jpg20220211_135559 (resized).jpg
#13649 2 years ago

Header Plaques Back in stock too!
2 sizes; 6x4 and 4x2 inch.
Designed to cover up or replace the white puffy AP sticker.

take 4 002 (resized).JPGtake 4 002 (resized).JPG
#13650 2 years ago

Thought I'd drop this in the wrong thread.
Woz Header mod.
All Stuff Available in my Store Now.

take 4 031 (resized).JPGtake 4 031 (resized).JPG
#13652 2 years ago

Great Game!. Beats me by s long shot.

3 weeks later
#13704 2 years ago

After 4 years I will probably not make these again. Get planchette while you can.

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple) - “Houdini Planchette Custom Playfield Upgrade Mod. Easy to install, simple overlay design Mod. Double sided tape, peel and apply. Thick plastic piece with rich 3D detail, custom engr...”
2022-05-14
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 55 days
Viewed: 604 times
Contributed to Pinside

1 month later
#13773 2 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

So I’m in Vegas and having breakfast at the Miracle Mile shops, look over my shoulder from the place we’re having breakfast and see this! Didn’t even know this existed, not sure if their closed for good but if they open later today I’m gonna see what Houdini merch I can find!
[quoted image]

Been there.
Fun shop and there is magician that does card tricks and slight of hand tricks to get you to buy stuff. He was really good!
It was late when I saw it open, 9pm.

#13776 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

When is the next run of Houdini. I’m thinking about getting one.

Just call Joe at Punballstar and order one.
He has all the details.
Joe is Top Notch, and Probably the largest dealer for American Pinball.

#13780 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I don’t know what they could remove,maybe magnets ,milk can?no way the catapult

I had heard no catapult on stripped version.

#13784 2 years ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

Really? That would completely change the gameplay.

Quoted from Scoot:

The catapult is one of the coolest features in pinball. It would be a shame to nix it. I would be fine getting rid of milk can loop and the catapult up above, but not the trunk catapult. That should stay.

Quoted from JagDaniels:

I am not sure were this come from but there is more information in the "next american pinball" thread. I like that these guys are always around to q and a.
Rosh said :
"Houdini was designed as a premium game, so I know there is talk of trimming out some of the 'bling' that adds a lot the expense to do a 'standard' version that can remain more affordable, given where pin prices are going. If this happens, I expect things like the fancy sculpts would be replaced with plastics, the fancy spot lights with generic ones, the lollypop rails would be replaced with standard rails, stuff like that"

I certainly don't want to cause any rumors or controversy. My apologies if I have.
I went back yesterday and tried to find here on pinside where I had read or seen that.
I believe it was a TPF thread. But cannot find it.

Indeed the Trunk mech would be a travesty to lose. Thinking the second catapult could be replaced with a kick out. But then, your really only losing one wire form.
Personally For Houdini when it was launched I loved the idea of 1 model, 1 style, 1 masterpiece.
I think it should stay that way.

1 week later
#13810 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think David Fix is on record saying he hated the curved backbox and that they would be going to a more standard one for all future games.

That's sad news. Guess the fix is in. Humm.
I hated that fatter Octoberfest, I'm mean really hate. I think it's ugly.

#13816 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Changed t-molding and installed brass leg bolts on Houdini today. Really nice aesthetic improvements that cost very little. What to mod next? This game is so fun to tinker with!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks Top Notch!
Glad you removed the white AP bubble sticker. It's just never looked right on this game.
The Planchette really makes playfield pop! Looks Great! (Biased opinion of course)

1 week later
#13845 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

How many feet did you need?

It's about 9...But just order 10.

#13848 1 year ago
Quoted from scbill88:

Where did you get that Houdini graphic for the top that replaced the American Pinball logo...looks awesome!

Glad you like it! Shameless Plug. I've been making the Planchette and Header mods since the game came out.

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple) - “Houdini Mod upgrade for the upper speaker panel. Designed to replace the white AP sticker between speakers. Now comes in 2 sizes. 6x3 inch and 4x2 inch. Easy to install, simple ove...”
2022-05-14
Anaheim, CA
Viewed: 372 times
Contributed to Pinside

Nothing against the Great Team at American Pinball...But from day 1, I did not like the plain wooden planchette. For such a key piece of the game story line it needed something with pizzazz. So being a huge Magic enthusiast fan I came up with this.
SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple) - “Houdini Planchette Custom Playfield Upgrade Mod. Easy to install, simple overlay design Mod. Double sided tape, peel and apply. Thick plastic piece with rich 3D detail, custom engr...”
2022-05-14
Anaheim, CA
Viewed: 604 times
Contributed to Pinside

#13862 1 year ago

We are so Lucky as Houdini owners how dedicated Josh was to this game.
I believe it is the masterpiece he intended and I don't think the game needs more.
Thank You Josh for all your hard work!
I wish him and his family all the best.

#13867 1 year ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Thank you beatmaster love the shooter rod!!!
[quoted image]

Your game is looking Sweet brother with that New t-molding!
And, Next to a Wonka and a Oz. NICE.

1 month later
#13934 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Sorry for all the newbie questions. Looks like AP is out of the $150 Power supply. Any other options? Vendors sell them?

2 Things.
Can you show us a picture of your bottom cabinet with playfield propped up?
Let's see what you got.
AP is making more Houdini's. I would just call them tomorrow and see what they have in stock.
They have more.

#13936 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Power supply[quoted image]

Confirmed. You need it, and the coil upgrade if that's not under playfield.
Also, if you don't have the knocker or shaker motor I highly recommend it.
Josh's code for knocker and shaker are amazing, and integration into game play and modes makes this game go over the top.

#13964 1 year ago
Quoted from livetowin:

What’s the key to keeping your coin door lights working? I’m going through a ton of lights burning out a few times per week.

There 12v, not 5v. Check key posts, it's in there somewhere.

2 weeks later
#13991 1 year ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

Greetings. I've been thinking quite a while about joining this "club". The game looks and sounds like it was made for me, although I have not played it yet. Are there NIB units available at this time from distributors? If so, can someone recommend one they've had a good experience with? It appears some are still accepting reserve deposits. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Call Joe at pinballstar.
I will say, these come up on the used market often. Perhaps a better deal, unless you want NIB.

#13993 1 year ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

Thanks for the referral. I'm on the fence used vs NIB. Warranty is nice -- I'm impressed with AP customer service comments. But I'm concerned NIB may not have all the design updates/improvements posters talk about here: I'm having difficulty keeping track of them all. Then there's the question of what a used one will need. I get the sense from this thread that Houdini has a bit more issues than average, both new and used?

Since Fall of last year any Houdini made has had all the upgrades.

2 weeks later
#14033 1 year ago
Quoted from Snugs:

The saga continues...
I had my local pinball tech come out and install the new power supply ( MASM0132-00). Machine is still not booting up. Power seems to be working fine. 5v registering at 5 and entering into CPU at 4.8v. Logic board was active and the LEDs were chasing each other. 12v registering just fine at 12v on his voltage meter. Once machine is turned on the AP logo screen comes up then it goes to black screen and then blues screen. Loops to a black screen for 5 seconds then the blue screen again. Doesn’t seem to be a power issue. Scratching my head here. What else could it possibly be??

Try reinstalling the code again for good measure first.

1 week later
#14055 1 year ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

I’m finally in the Houdini club! What nice mods you all got?

Knocker and shaker are a must.
Lots of programming that uses both, ads a fun mix.
Ohhh and that fancy planchette.

#14059 1 year ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

I have the knocker to install. I have never been that fond of shaker motors, how well implemented is it? Do you think it would change my mind cause it’s clever/fun?

Yes and Yes. Shaker is implemented so many ways. In elephant trick mod it's used to replicate his foot steps, it's very clever. Kudos to Josh on that one.
When the ball hits trunk, hard to put finger on it but it's used in so many ways(50?), that clever use of shaker is best way to put it.
And, Thank You for your purchase! Going out today.

2 months later
#14284 1 year ago

Limited Run Available Now.
Pm me or Check out my Pinside shop.

SOLD!
Other - For Sale
“Houdini Planchette Custom Playfield Upgrade Mod. Easy to install, simple overlay design Mod. Double sided tape, peel and apply. Thick plastic piece with rich 3D detail, custom engr...”
2022-10-12
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 224 days
Viewed: 407 times
Contributed to Pinside

2 weeks later
#14305 1 year ago

96 years ago Houdini died on Halloween at the age of 52.
Today hold your Seance and play your game to honor him, and bring him back from the dead.

20220211_135554 (resized).jpg20220211_135554 (resized).jpg
#14307 1 year ago
Quoted from archimandrite:

My Stage Mech Servo Motor has apparently died for the second time in less than two years. The first time my game was on loan to my club and they took care of it. I'll be asking more questions about that. My question for the forum is: Am I alone here? A quick search didn't reveal similar complaints. This seems like pretty low reliability to me.

I have 2017 build. My stage motor still going strong.
So my instant thought was something may be binding it's clean open/close function. Thus burning it out quicker.
AP will hook you up with new motor. They never gouge on parts to owners, always reasonable prices.
When you go to replace double check the track movement area for debris, something may be in there to cause this.

#14315 1 year ago
Quoted from maur:

Ok this is weird. I picked up a 2018 build Houdini. Game is awesome but last night I noticed the lamps on the coin door wee not led so I replaced them. Power off of course. Anyways I played a few games then noticed that the leds were literally melted. This happen to anyone?
Maurizio

Need to be 12v. There is a key post on this.

#14317 1 year ago
Quoted from maur:

Thank you Ericpinballfan.
Maurizio

Sorry, working quick post above.
Those 2 lights(coin slots) are part of the coin door power which is 12v.
I know, well...because I melted a set of lights a few years back myself. Lol

2 months later
#14411 1 year ago
Quoted from jacksparrow0112:

Big shoutout today to Ericpinballfan for hooking me up with his amazing planchette mod. Looks great on the game and nails theme integration. He is also great to work with. Can’t stop looking at this thing. 10 out of 10!
[quoted image]

Blushing emoji. Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate all my costumers and proud of how many Houdini's I've been able to improve.
Lifetime Warranty too!

#14415 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

No, it activates the exact same number of times with the same purpose. The software just sends the knocker signal to a hardware driver instead of a sound event. Same logic otherwise.

But, the knocker works great with several of the mods, especially the elephant and ball lock.
Knocker is a great upgrade to Houdini.

2 weeks later
#14476 1 year ago

Many years ago now I shaved my seance targets on the sides. Now, its not much. Maybe 4mm more room if you do 2mm per side. At the time I thought it was a good start and left it. I could shave off more, but never felt the need.

2 months later
#14600 11 months ago

It's official, I have to sell my beloved Houdini.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/156581
Make me an offer please.
I need to make room for my CCrLE.
I will definitely miss this game.

Boooo, that sucks But....
This thread appreciates all your work and contributions to helping many fix there games in this thread.
You'll be back.
And there is always room for another.

#14608 11 months ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Pm sent on jacket and plaque and water torture

Get the header too. Picture 4.
These are really good prices.
Plus, I'm not making them anymore.

#14612 11 months ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

So manual says that houdini comes 6.5 pitch at default but I see sooo many people on here saying they have there's say at 6.1 or 6.2. All my games I normally set at 6.5. Should I really lower it down?

Joe Balcer made a point to ad a new feature to NiB setup. Not having to worry about game leaveling. Houdini is designed for the leg levelers to be all the way up with no threads extended , showing. Thus, there screwed all the way in.
Of course there is carpet and uneven floors, so a minor adjustment may happen.

#14616 11 months ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

So then 6.5 is where you should attempt to keep it?
Ya in my garage the floor definitely isn't level so I've had to mess with it a bit but not nearly as much as some of my other machines which is nice.

Correct. 6.5 !
I saw an incident at a tournament that applies to Houdini. It's a tight playfield.
If you take the glass off and raise and lower playfield...Always make sure the 2 forks rest flat into reciever under lock down bar. There are times do to playfield weight, either fork can be just raised a little. Metal on metal lowered playfield into receiver.
Hope that makes sense.

1 month later
#14693 10 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

"JJP game on a budget".

We have Joe Balcer to Thank for this.
He had just left JJP to come to American Pinball. His experience on Woz and Hobbit you can see in Houdini.

1 month later
#14719 8 months ago

Planchette Bump.
Available in my Pinside store.
Click Mod Magic next to my avatar.
Thanks.
Eric

20180426_162959 (resized).jpg20180426_162959 (resized).jpg20220211_135559 (resized).jpg20220211_135559 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
2 months later
#14773 5 months ago

97 years ago Houdini died on Halloween.
Let's remember the master and play our pin to honor him.
Maybe he will return with our seance today.

20220211_135552 (resized).jpg20220211_135552 (resized).jpg
5 months later
#14815 9 days ago

Poking around pinside this morning.
Noticed in the classifieds that there are 7 machines for sale.
It's not that there is 7 available. It's that what a tremendous bargain I'm seeing for a great pin!
Better value than a stern pro. Bang for your buck loaded pin.
Mine is still a keeper.

#14817 4 days ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Love the game. Bolted.
Seems like American could have used real film assets of Houdini is some sections of code.

Agreed! It would have been nice to have some of those black and white Houdini clips. Grainy, scratched up, that well worked film look.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
477 posts in this topic match your search for posts by ericpinballfan. You are on page 2 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ericpinballfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/2?tu=ericpinballfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.