20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 291 of 297.
#14501 1 year ago
Quoted from archimandrite:

Do Pinsiders ever offer partial plastic sets? A hundred bucks is pretty steep when I only have two pieces to replace. I've got to believe there are folks who have coughed up the big bucks and have a bag of parts they haven't needed.

I'm an original owner,I'm pretty sure there is a bag of plastics in side my game

#14502 1 year ago
Quoted from fstfish66:

I'm an original owner,I'm pretty sure there is a bag of plastics in side my game

I don't think it shipped with a full set of replacement plastics, that would be unheard of. Spare slings and stuff like that are common for most games.

#14503 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I don't think it shipped with a full set of replacement plastics, that would be unheard of. Spare slings and stuff like that are common for most games.

You get:

Slings, flipper covers, flipper alignment gauge, some purple rubbers etc.

No manual, but there was a preliminary setup guide and some very basic instructions.

All if that is still in my game untouched.

Im the original owner.

#14504 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

You get:
Slings, flipper covers, flipper alignment gauge, some purple rubbers etc.
No manual, but there was a preliminary setup guide and some very basic instructions.
All if that is still in my game untouched.
Im the original owner.

You can also order the big green planchette plastic separately.

#14505 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'll have to look I'm sure there are some sort of plastics,there is also some type of computer part in a bag , been a while since it's been played and even longer since I've been inside it, work and life get in the way

#14506 1 year ago
Quoted from fstfish66:

I'll have to look I'm sure there are some sort of plastics,there is also some type of computer part in a bag , been a while since it's been played and even longer since I've been inside it, work and life get in the way

There's a small board that has a couple buttons with a cable to connect to the mini LCD to make adjustments to it.

#14507 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

There's a small board that has a couple buttons with a cable to connect to the mini LCD to make adjustments to it.

Has anyone used this board. My greens on the mini LCD are almost black. Is this thingy what one would use to make that sort of adjustment?

#14508 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

Has anyone used this board. My greens on the mini LCD are almost black. Is this thingy what one would use to make that sort of adjustment?

I think it aligns the image, and you can adjust brightness and contrast..... I think.

#14509 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I dont know if it's simply the way my game is set up - it's certainly not due to me being a great player but I don't find this game too hard or frustrating at all, and I'm struggling to understand what the big fuss is with this games difficulty. All the shots are perfectly makeable just spending a short time dialling the shots in. It's weird because when you eyeball the game, the shots do look incredibly tight visually, but I still manage to hit things pretty consistently and I can get trunk multiball going pretty often (probably every other game), plus I'm finding the orbits very repeatable.
Perhaps it's because I have this game sitting next to ACNC which requires professional sniper levels of precision?

That's exactly where mine sits as well, haha. Glad to hear you're liking Houdini, we love ours and play it daily. Just had to install a Cliffy on the Seance scoop the other day.

#14510 1 year ago

Need some tech help.

Left flipper, left sling, lower catapult have all stopped working. Fuses on the board that the flippers connect to are all good to go. Where else should I be looking?

#14511 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Need some tech help.
Left flipper, left sling, lower catapult have all stopped working. Fuses on the board that the flippers connect to are all good to go. Where else should I be looking?

Are the LEDs lit on the driver board for those solenoids when the game is on and the interlock switch closed?

#14512 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Need some tech help.

It's probably one of the small fuses on the p roc boards. There are two boards that look the same under the playfield. They have fuses on both ends. Check those.

#14513 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Need some tech help.

Do any of the rest of the "brown" solenoids work? If yes then you probably have a broken power wire that daisy-chains between the ones that aren't working, if no it's almost certainly a blown fuse on the PD-16 board or a that board is not getting power to it, etc.

brown solenoids (resized).pngbrown solenoids (resized).png
#14514 1 year ago

Thanks. I’ll check and report back

#14515 1 year ago

Does anyone know a source for "Houdini 8 Piece Easy Break Plastic Protector Set"? The 5 piece set doesn't have what I need and I'm not excited about shelling out $70 for the 16 piece set.

#14516 1 year ago
Quoted from archimandrite:

Does anyone know a source for "Houdini 8 Piece Easy Break Plastic Protector Set"? The 5 piece set doesn't have what I need and I'm not excited about shelling out $70 for the 16 piece set.

I believe it was through Little Shop of Games. I just purchased an NOS set from a Pinsider who thought it was sold out. Might be worth reaching out to to see if they have anything laying around or if they are going to make another run.

#14517 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Do any of the rest of the "brown" solenoids work? If yes then you probably have a broken power wire that daisy-chains between the ones that aren't working, if no it's almost certainly a blown fuse on the PD-16 board or a that board is not getting power to it, etc. [quoted image]

Found it… disconnected connector.

#14518 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

It's probably one of the small fuses on the p roc boards. There are two boards that look the same under the playfield. They have fuses on both ends. Check those.

Interesting I haven't lifted my play field yet, but dismantled the head from body to move it old not as strong as I use to be, just thought the hard drive controlled all of it. Thanks

#14519 1 year ago
Quoted from fstfish66:

Interesting I haven't lifted my play field yet, but dismantled the head from body to move it old not as strong as I use to be, just thought the hard drive controlled all of it. Thanks

I had one of the ribbon cables get loose and fall off on the Houdini "chain" lamps pc board.

Thats about it.

Tha game has been SUPER robust.

#14520 1 year ago
Quoted from fstfish66:

Well the computer in the backbox does have all the programming, audio, visuals, etc. but it also interfaces via USB with the P3ROC board mounted to the left side of the cabinet, that interfaces via serial chain to the other P3ROC boards; SW-16s for switch inputs, PD-16s to drive coils and other lower-powered devices and PD-LED that drives LEDs. There are some other custom boards like the servo interface, aux-driver, Opto interface, etc. too. This is all documented pretty well in the service manual: http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2021-10/API-Houdini-Service-Manual-10-6-21.pdf

#14521 1 year ago

Added a Q robot from thingaverse. Printed at 30%. Spray painted silver. No clearcoat as when I tried the silver color went matte finish.

4E597DE9-452E-4E17-B28A-AB5E0F7D2576 (resized).jpeg4E597DE9-452E-4E17-B28A-AB5E0F7D2576 (resized).jpeg
#14522 1 year ago

very cool, great find, just downloaded it, for those with 3d printers . . ..

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4595025

#14523 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

very cool, great find, just downloaded it, for those with 3d printers . . ..
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4595025

I printed it with a resin printer. Elegoo Mars 2.

I don’t have any fusion 360 skills or tinkercad. I would have put the pieces together and just printed the arms seperate.

The glue line for the torso could be eliminated with a one piece print.

Could also add a hole and peg system for the arms so they could be positioned how you’d like.

#14524 1 year ago

Very few games can bring me to the level of excitement and satisfaction that Houdini brings me over and over. The modes, shots, and visuals are a home run every time I play. Thank you so much AP for producing such a kick ass game.

#14525 1 year ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Very few games can bring me to the level of excitement and satisfaction that Houdini brings me over and over. The modes, shots, and visuals are a home run every time I play. Thank you so much AP for producing such a kick ass game.

Definitely second this!

I got it as a package together with OF (which was the game I was really after), but what a fantastic surprise this game's turned out to be for me. Awesome work AP!

#14526 1 year ago

+1

unfortunatley, i have only 1 place home, than i have to swap pins, but Houdini will remain high on my list (for now, only DI is rating above), its a very good pinball for sure, tribute AP !

#14527 1 year ago

Hey! I was cleaning out my pinball stuff closet, and realized I still have a new in box, never unwrapped Houdini shaker motor. I have no use for it since I sold my Houdini a while back - if anyone here needs one let me know.

#14528 1 year ago

The art blades that came on my my machine are pretty wasted and could do with replacing. I actually saw these on pingraffix and thought they could look amazing on Houdini (it would mesh well with the LCD and the stage). What are peoples thoughts - try these or just get standard ones?

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/theatre-of-magic-plain-pinball-inner-art-pinblades-bally-williams-pinball

edit: I also quite like the look of these tilt graphics ones:

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/houdini-steam-punk-gameblades-1

#14529 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

The art blades that came on my my machine are pretty wasted and could do with replacing. I actually saw these on pingraffix and thought they could look amazing on Houdini (it would mesh well with the LCD and the stage). What are peoples thoughts - try these or just get standard ones?
https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/theatre-of-magic-plain-pinball-inner-art-pinblades-bally-williams-pinball

The playfield will need to come out to do the art blades. Make sure you mark the 5v line and the 48v lines. The two connectors are interchangeable and you will fry things real fast if you don't pay attention. Ask me how I know....

#14530 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

The playfield will need to come out to do the art blades. Make sure you mark the 5v line and the 48v lines. The two connectors are interchangeable and you will fry things real fast if you don't pay attention. Ask me how I know....

Why take the playfield out? The wet method works fine, even with the PF still installed.

#14531 1 year ago

Yeah I've never taken the playfied out to install art blades I've done it 5 or 6 times and never even used the wet method.

#14532 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Yeah I've never taken the playfied out to install art blades I've done it 5 or 6 times and never even used the wet method.

I suck at installing art blades without removing the playfield. I have ruined a set or two over the years trying to install them. It is much easier for me to pull the playfield out. I will have to try the wet method on the next set.

As for the Houdini art blades, the originals are thin and easy to scratch or tear like paper stickers. The pingrafix or tiltgraphics are vinyl and hold up much better. I have the tilt version in my game (cut out and on mirror blades) but the pingrafix would look really good too.

20211226_140527 (resized).jpg20211226_140527 (resized).jpg20211226_140535 (resized).jpg20211226_140535 (resized).jpg
#14533 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Why take the playfield out? The wet method works fine, even with the PF still installed.

Because api's side blades suck. They are as thin as paper. And yes... I know some games can be installed without removing the playfield... But houdini is very busy and tight. I strongly recommend taking out the playfield.

#14534 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Because api's side blades suck. They are as thin as paper. And yes... I know some games can be installed without removing the playfield... But houdini is very busy and tight. I strongly recommend taking out the playfield.

Yeah, they are truly the worst-quality blades out there. The cheap, paper material they use is totally unsuitable for blades and is super-easily damaged by raising and lowering the playfield, even after install. I have no idea why they didn't use vinyl-type material like essentially everyone else.

That said, I had no problem installing them with the PF still in using the wet method. Taking the playfield out is a waste of time/effort to install blades, because the wet method is dead simple and effective.

#14535 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Yeah actually I can see that lots of stuff would get in the way, and the playfield is pretty tight in there (others I've done have a bit of leeway you can use). The wet method should still work though. Also if these things are paper thin, are they gonna be a pain in the *ss to remove?

#14536 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Yeah actually I can see that lots of stuff would get in the way, and the playfield is pretty tight in there (others I've done have a bit of leeway you can use). The wet method should still work though. Also if these things are paper thin, are they gonna be a pain in the *ss to remove?

I didn't have much issue removing mine. I did use 93% alcohol to cut any residue. You do want to make sure to clean the surface. Prep is everything IMHO.

#14537 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Might want to buy some art blade protectors.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14538 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Might want to buy some art blade protectors.
[quoted image]

Yes... And these are a must on these games.

#14539 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, they are truly the worst-quality blades out there. The cheap, paper material they use is totally unsuitable for blades and is super-easily damaged by raising and lowering the playfield, even after install. I have no idea why they didn't use vinyl-type material like essentially everyone else.
That said, I had no problem installing them with the PF still in using the wet method. Taking the playfield out is a waste of time/effort to install blades, because the wet method is dead simple and effective.

I think that this was due to the first run games having a cabinet that was manufactured too narrow. I don't know if later runs correct this but it meant that the blades had to be extra thin.

#14540 1 year ago
Quoted from GSones:

I think that this was due to the first run games having a cabinet that was manufactured too narrow. I don't know if later runs correct this but it meant that the blades had to be extra thin.

The unsuitable paper material was the problem. They could have used vinyl that was similar thickness and would have been much more durable. I had one of the first off the line. There was room for vinyl.

#14541 1 year ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Anyone else having a hard time with the flippers feeling weak at the end / tip? I have the EOS switch and power supply installed along with the latest code. The flippers seem to work fine if I’m hitting from the middle, but if I’m hitting from the end while the ball is coming down they feel weak. They aren’t slipping and if I hit it in the middle it’s fine, it’s just shots from the tip of the flipper that feel quite a bit different. I can’t up the power too much as the ball will bounce out of the stage at any higher power level. Thoughts on what I may have set up wrong? It’s very different from the same shots on a Stern or Jersey Jack where there seams to be a lot more consistency wherever the ball hits on the flipper.

I’ve had my Houdini for quite a while. Very early in their initial run. Never had flipper issues until now. Getting weak, sort of collapsing and once in a while chattering and basically weak inconsistent play. Everything seemed fine until today when I had a reboot. I’ve reached out to API service, but so far they have only suggested that I purchase the coil power kit, which I have, and the power supply upgrade, which I also have. I also installed the EOS way back when.
Like I said, I had a reboot which reminded me about folks talking about issues with the capacitors in the original power supply. Josh suggested an upgraded set of capacitors, which have, but have not installed. Could this all be connected? Seems not, but….

Thoughts?

#14542 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The unsuitable paper material was the problem. They could have used vinyl that was similar thickness and would have been much more durable. I had one of the first off the line. There was room for vinyl.

I thought it was just me. My art blades have some damage from raising and lowering the playfield. Honestly, it’s the only machine I’ve ever owned with art blades. I’m a bit of a purist. That being said, my game came with different art blades. I guess the old ones will pull off, clean up the residue with 93% alcohol and then apply the new blades?

#14543 1 year ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I thought it was just me. My art blades have some damage from raising and lowering the playfield. Honestly, it’s the only machine I’ve ever owned with art blades. I’m a bit of a purist. That being said, my game came with different art blades. I guess the old ones will pull off, clean up the residue with 93% alcohol and then apply the new blades?

That's what someone else said, I don't have any personal experience with removing the crappy paper AP ones, but post if you do it to verify!

Stern's blades are WAY more durable vinyl. The AP houdini blades are/were (are they still paper?) a joke.

#14544 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's what someone else said, I don't have any personal experience with removing the crappy paper AP ones, but post if you do it to verify!
Stern's blades are WAY more durable vinyl. The AP houdini blades are/were (are they still paper?) a joke.

It’s kinda surprising given the overall quality of the machine. I’m not a stern fan (sorry to those who are), and Houdini seems to be closest to the W/B machines.

#14545 1 year ago
Quoted from PinJim:

It’s kinda surprising given the overall quality of the machine. I’m not a stern fan (sorry to those who are), and Houdini seems to be closest to the W/B machines.

Not really that surprising. The machine has great BoM overall, but lots of unforced errors with dumb mistakes that I chalk up to being their first machine. They came out of the gate hot. More went right than wrong, but the blades are definitely in the wrong column.

#14546 1 year ago

Houdini art blades were the only ones in paper. All the rest of their pins have come with much more durable vinyl.

#14547 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's what someone else said, I don't have any personal experience with removing the crappy paper AP ones, but post if you do it to verify!... a joke.

I had to replace a damaged front cabinet decal on a Munsters once. I was surprised at how difficult it was to remove the glue without mucking up the paint - glue was very gummy. I needed to do some minor bondo work on some wood dings, so I need to paint that area regardless, but I didn't want a mess on my hands with the paint that was still fine.

Tried all the usual glue removers w/o success (maybe if I used more elbow grease they would have worked at the expense of the good paint). I stumbled on RapidTac's glue remover and I'm not sure what's in that stuff but it worked like magic and didn't damage the paint. Apply a tin coat, gently wipe of with a paper towel, done. Just a little 'black' on the paper towel, barely any.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14548 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

I’ve had my Houdini for quite a while. Very early in their initial run. Never had flipper issues until now. Getting weak, sort of collapsing and once in a while chattering and basically weak inconsistent play. Everything seemed fine until today when I had a reboot. I’ve reached out to API service, but so far they have only suggested that I purchase the coil power kit, which I have, and the power supply upgrade, which I also have. I also installed the EOS way back when.
Like I said, I had a reboot which reminded me about folks talking about issues with the capacitors in the original power supply. Josh suggested an upgraded set of capacitors, which have, but have not installed. Could this all be connected? Seems not, but….
Thoughts?

Unless you had the reboot happen because of the replay settings bug that was discussed a couple pages ago I'd suspect the power supply. Check to see if the caps are bulging at all on the original one, not the upgraded add-on one.

#14549 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Unless you had the reboot happen because of the replay settings bug that was discussed a couple pages ago I'd suspect the power supply. Check to see if the caps are bulging at all on the original one, not the upgraded add-on one.

This makes sense and what I recall Josh suggesting. I have the beefed up caps and will give it a shot.

#14550 1 year ago

Finally finished my steampunk shooter rods. Made 8 of them, so send me a DM if you would like one. Ended up with 3 slightly different designs, not sure which one I prefer.

20230320_201450 (resized).jpg20230320_201450 (resized).jpg20230320_201504 (resized).jpg20230320_201504 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 291 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/291 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.