20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 297.
#1402 6 years ago

Cardini, the master of card manipulation also wore a top hat but it was part of his character as a drunken, rich aristocrat and not playing the character of a magician.

I'm not a pro full time magician but I do take paid gigs as a mentalist. I think the thing about top hats that many in the magic community find distasteful is that it has come to represent bad magicians and made fun of on TV, commercials and movies. Having the top hat associated with magic has not been good for our reputations.

#1403 6 years ago

This is all in good fun! There are stereotyped images for every profession.

#1404 6 years ago

Watched the last video yesterday and really liked what i was seeing. My only beef was with the instructions for the modes...they felt like a mouthful. shoot this, then shoot that, then shoot that followed by a shot here , here and here." For the sake of being constructive...wouldnt it be less annoying to point the player to the next shot upon completition of a shot if a player hasnt hit the shot after 10 seconds. That way players that know the rules dont have to sit through the lecture everytime and novice player get calloutl pl hints if they dont achieve the shot after x amount of time. Apart from that game looks really nice and polished.

#1405 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I think the thing about top hats that many in the magic community find distasteful is that it has come to represent bad magicians and made fun of on TV, commercials and movies. Having the top hat associated with magic has not been good for our reputations.

Instead of a top hat, maybe a better representation of your profession would be something like this?

68AA0F59-E18C-4D3B-89B8-C3FFF0B963D8 (resized).jpeg68AA0F59-E18C-4D3B-89B8-C3FFF0B963D8 (resized).jpeg

#1406 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Dilly Dilly to the Magician amongst us!

LTG : )

#1407 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Watched the last video yesterday and really liked what i was seeing. My only beef was with the instructions for the modes...they felt like a mouthful. shoot this, then shoot that, then shoot that followed by a shot here , here and here." For the sake of being constructive...wouldnt it be less annoying to point the player to the next shot upon completition of a shot if a player hasnt hit the shot after 10 seconds. That way players that know the rules dont have to sit through the lecture everytime and novice player get calloutl pl hints if they dont achieve the shot after x amount of time. Apart from that game looks really nice and polished.

There are lots of settings to control the level of verbosity, see the snippets below from previous posts, also check out the image link which is a screen shot of some of the sound settings . . .

Quoted from rosh:

You can flipper escape out of the intros for all stage and movie movies, and there are now almost a dozen settings for audio verbosity. You can start off with everything on and then turn off items as you get to know the game and/or find it too chatty. You can also control if flipper escape cuts off the verbal instructions or continues even as the ball is put into play. Most stage and movie modes will put the 'next shot' on the mini display briefly after you make the current shot, it will then reappear on that screen every 10 seconds or so (in between it is showing the timer), but might increase the frequency of that.

Quoted from rosh:

No doubt they are verbose, but the options should give you plenty of control. I can see for most collectors (and operators), that after a few weeks, I would have 'next act', 'Houdini intro', and 'next shot' active, but disable 'stage open' and 'narrator rules'. Same basic options for movie modes as well. I would also have the flipper escape cut off sound calls. I have not yet decided what will be factory defaults.

https://images.pinside.com/7/18/718abdf50f47ec898152d070a65f7973df7edcce/resized/large/718abdf50f47ec898152d070a65f7973df7edcce.png

#1408 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

There are lots of settings to control the level of verbosity, see the snippets below from previous posts, also check out the image link which is a screen shot of some of the sound settings . . .

https://images.pinside.com/7/18/718abdf50f47ec898152d070a65f7973df7edcce/resized/large/718abdf50f47ec898152d070a65f7973df7edcce.png

Well would you look at that

#1409 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Quoted from rosh:

You can flipper escape out of the intros for all stage and movie movies, and there are now almost a dozen settings for audio verbosity. You can start off with everything on and then turn off items as you get to know the game and/or find it too chatty. You can also control if flipper escape cuts off the verbal instructions or continues even as the ball is put into play. Most stage and movie modes will put the 'next shot' on the mini display briefly after you make the current shot, it will then reappear on that screen every 10 seconds or so (in between it is showing the timer), but might increase the frequency of that.

Bravo, Josh! This level of customization is something that only a true pinball enthusiast would bring to the table.

#1410 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

That's a great level of granularity.

Can I suggest when you're putting video out or taking it to shows that you turn movie rules off?

#1411 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That's a great level of granularity.
Can I suggest when you're putting video out or taking it to shows that you turn movie rules off?

Unless your in the US please as I and my family Appreciated knowing how to play the game and seeing the animation work. Home users can shut Everything they wish off when they get it home. Not everyone that looks a pinball machine is a natural Wizard!

#1412 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Unless your in the US please as I and my family Appreciated knowing how to play the game and seeing the animation work. Home users can shut Everything they wish off when they get it home. Not everyone that looks a pinball machine is a natural Wizard!

My comment simply relates to keeping prospective buyers excited ... and since this is very unusual(ly verbose) in pinball, some might be deflated by it. Not everyone reads this thread, so they won't know you can turn it off.

#1413 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

My comment simply relates to keeping prospective buyers excited ... and since this is very unusual(ly verbose) in pinball, some might be deflated by it. Not everyone reads this thread, so they won't know you can turn it off.

So your saying it would be a Benefit for the company to Not show the How To play animations to prospective buyers especially those that don't read Pinside? Seems like the Opposite would be the smarter business decision to interest buyers. I for one hate walking up to a machine pinball or other and Not have a clue what to do. Hence the reason I could never get into dropping $2 into one of those awesome 3D video games.

#1414 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

So your saying it would be a Benefit for the company to Not show the How To play animations to prospective buyers especially those that don't read Pinside? Seems like the Opposite would be the smarter business decision to interest buyers. I for one hate walking up to a machine pinball or other and Not have a clue what to do. Hence the reason I could never get into dropping $2 into one of those awesome 3D video games.

People have limited concentration spans, is what I'm saying, and the vast majority of prospective buyers are already likely to be pretty familiar with pinball.

#1415 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

prospective buyers are already likely to be pretty familiar with pinball.

I totally disagree with that. Plus as a company and for the hobby as a whole I Hope they are trying to find business Outside of the current Underground hobby wizards! You must hang out with a much smaller crowd. I think I can count on 1 hand how many people I have met that said "hey I have pinball machines too!" None. Pinball is big to us. Pinball as a hobby is microscopic compared to most others. There are more pet rock collectors than pinball collectors.

#1416 6 years ago

I wonder how small is the group of people who are both pinball collectors and pet rock collectors? What about a pinball machine about pet rocks? I might be on to something. Rosh, I give permission to AP to use my idea for it's next release. Your welcome.

#1417 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Seems like the Opposite would be the smarter business decision to interest buyers. I for one hate walking up to a machine pinball or other and Not have a clue what to do.

Amen! I've dropped a butt-load of money into GOT and still have no clue what I'm doing. I think the verbose explanations are a feature not a hindrance.

#1418 6 years ago

Setting aside all of the verbosity options, at the end of the day, if you know pinball, you should know how to flipper escape, and if you don't know how to flipper escape, you probably want/need more info.

When I did that video I deliberately did not flipper escape for obvious reasons

#1419 6 years ago

I just watched a YouTube video of game play for this machine. In my opinion, this looks like a beautiful machine with an awesome theme. I love the light show and all the playfield shots and toys.. The voice call outs sound great as well. This machine reminds me of something that Williams would of built in their heyday.. Like a Theatre of Magic or Circus Voltaire..

Does anyone know if/when its coming out? Where to get it? How much will it be?

#1420 6 years ago
Quoted from chinosts:

I just watched a YouTube video of game play for this machine. In my opinion, this looks like a beautiful machine with an awesome theme. I love the light show and all the playfield shots and toys.. The voice call outs sound great as well. This machine reminds me of something that Williams would of built in their heyday.. Like a Theatre of Magic or Circus Voltaire..

Agreed on the Theater of Magic comparison. Very similar in creativity with a bit more video animation which really gives it a great flow. As for price, it looks like the US price is a lock (which is great) at 6999 for all US distributors. Sorry don't know about AU that you would have to search for. You could check out the American Pinball website they might have more details or order info. As for when... I want it Yesterday but based on the feedback they have generously shared they are pretty close to pushing the start button. My guess is January but fingers are always crossed for an Xmas Miracle!!

#1421 6 years ago
Quoted from chinosts:

Where to get it?

Contact them : http://american-pinball.com/

http://www.pinballstar.com/ Lists the game. Also posts here on Pinside as Pinballstar

#1422 6 years ago
Quoted from chinosts:

Would probably be a good idea to put a list of both domestic and international distributors / resellers on the website. I know there are already UK (Pinball Heaven), French (Zpeabonk) and Dutch (Ministry of Pinball) distributors, on the international front.

#1423 6 years ago

After reading the interview that was released this morning by This Week In Pinball regarding the new pinball company “deeproot”, I sure hope the pending legal stuff doesn’t end up delaying this game from being launched. Seems like a big mess right now and it would really suck if American Pinball is forced to delay this wonderful game. Hope everything gets sorted out guys.

#1426 6 years ago

Not sure how they could legal stop Houdini from be manufactured and shipped. The machine was redesigned from the the ground up on an public domain IP. Although there might be some legal rangling on who owes refunds on RAZA and AIW, I doubt that will affect Houdini. I'm not a legal expert but it's unlikely that you could legally stop a product from being produced unless you were clearly using Jpop's or DR's IP which I doubt has happened.

#1427 6 years ago

TWIP: Is it possible that deeproot could delay Houdini manufacturing?

dr: We wish American Pinball the best in their pinball efforts. However unresolved legal issues they helped create need to be addressed and resolved. Right now their arguments have no apparent contractual or legal basis. They put themselves in this position and have the power to take themselves out of it. There is little to nothing they can blame John for, though I’m sure they will try.

#1428 6 years ago

While I don't know all the details regarding John's agreements with AP, John and Deeproot have no claim on Houdini. Nothing of John's is in Houdini, and even if it was, he would still not have any rights to it.

From the day I started I have stayed as far away from all things zidware as I could, so I do not know if there are other legal issues between AP and John. I suspect John still owes AP money for the manufacture of MG, which would make them a creditor like others. This may be the 'unresolved legal issues', but I don't know. Obviously there could be other issues related to APs work on MG, I just don't know.

Regardless, no fear on Houdini, there is nothing to escape from. Now I need to get back to work, as we are putting a machine out on location shortly, and I have to test out the support for the swipe system the location uses.

#1429 6 years ago

Game looks really cool!
I didn't see a match feature at the end...!
Surely there has to be a match feature...? No?

#1430 6 years ago

Why did AP get involved with JP/ building MG in the first place?

#1431 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Why did AP get involved with JP/ building MG in the first place?

Please please please ... Can we not derail this thread!

#1432 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Please please please ... Can we not derail this thread!

Please! +1

#1433 6 years ago

Yeah, let's talk about video games.

#1434 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah, let's talk about video games.

where's the video game?

#1435 6 years ago

kvan99, have you been peeping in my windows?

#1436 6 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

I didn't see a match feature at the end...!
Surely there has to be a match feature...? No?

Not yet, but there will be one at some point. I have a few ideas, but I have not decided on one yet. Not my top priority at the moment.

(rosh now sits back and waits for suggestions to be thrown out)

#1437 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Magician pulling a rabbit out of the hat, rabbit goes "poof" and turns into match number.

#1438 6 years ago

ouija moving on the board giving you the match #.

flippin' cards coming out tof the deck giving you the match number and joker = free game.

opening truck.

#1439 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Now I need to get back to work, as we are putting a machine out on location shortly, and I have to test out the support for the swipe system the location uses.

Hmmm, will Houdini going on location be a location that is “at a higher level” soon?

#1440 6 years ago

This has all the makings of a smash hit game changing machine. Can't wait for it to come out so I can play one.

#1441 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

(rosh now sits back and waits for suggestions to be thrown out

Too funny!

#1442 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Magician pulling a rabbit out of the hat, rabbit goes "poof" and turns into match number.

that comes right after bullwinkle says "watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat" and rocky replies "that trick never works"

#1443 6 years ago

Match Ideas:
1. As a handcuffed Houdini separates his arms (breaking the cuffs), a number dangles on each cuff.
2. "Metamorphosis" but instead of Bess, Houdini swaps places with a match number. I see Houdini jumping on the trunk, tossing the cloth into the air, cloth drops and number is on top of the trunk.

#1444 6 years ago

For the match: Houdini tied up and shackled while hanging upside down in a tank of water. While he struggles to get out he exhales air bubbles that evolve into match numbers once they rise above the water surface. As Houdini completes the escape act the final match number is displayed.

#1445 6 years ago

I like and second the ouija board idea! It also fits with the added piece inside the game!

#1446 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not yet, but there will be one at some point. I have a few ideas, but I have not decided on one yet. Not my top priority at the moment.

A seance with Bess and others around the table as they try and communicate with Harry...maybe on the match have him appear above the table and a "poof" if he they don't reach him?

#1447 6 years ago

A lot of great suggestions.

Quoted from LTG:

I've considered this, well, maybe not the rabbit going poof, which I like. My concern is the use of the hat for the magic shop and was not anxious to re-use an element in this way, but certainly still a possibility.

Quoted from beatmaster:

ouija moving on the board giving you the match #.

This is a great idea given how match is supposed to work, however, since I use a spirit board (Ouija being a trademarked name) for high score entry, having it also for match, which occurs right after, may not be optimal. Maybe a crystal ball.

Quoted from Videogod:

1. As a handcuffed Houdini separates his arms (breaking the cuffs), a number dangles on each cuff.

certainly has potential, of course we only need 1 digit, since Houdini does use the least significant digit.

Quoted from Videogod:

"Metamorphosis" but instead of Bess, Houdini swaps places with a match number. I see Houdini jumping on the trunk, tossing the cloth into the air, cloth drops and number is on top of the trunk.

Since metamorphosis is one of the modes . . .

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

For the match: Houdini tied up and shackled while hanging upside down in a tank of water. While he struggles to get out he exhales air bubbles that evolve into match numbers once they rise above the water surface. As Houdini completes the escape act the final match number is displayed.

might be a touch too complex/elaborate, and like some others, we do use the Chinese water torture as one of the stage modes. I do like the bubbles idea.

Quoted from Mike_M:

Hmmm, will Houdini going on location be a location that is “at a higher level” soon?

Houdini certainly belongs at a higher level, as it will be harder to get to the end than say, Pac Man. I'm sure the location will be found quickly after it arrives there and that info will make its way to pinside shortly there after. Our first location was chosen since it is convenient to our office (and to my home).

Quoted from Methos:

A seance with Beth as they try and communicate with Harry...maybe on the match have him appear above the table?

hmm, similar to some of the other ideas, but has potential.

#1448 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Different giggles might help, but still might just be annoying. Coming up with sound effects for things like slings, loops, attract, etc. and have them fit the theme, not too easy. You can only use chain and lock sounds so many times. Meeting with my sound guy tomorrow, so he and I will brainstorm though some other sounds. But if you have suggestions . . .

What do you think about bells like the ones they use when somebody enters through the door of a magic shop instead of the giggles? Here is a link to a HP video I found when I googled sounds of magic. Near the very beginning he walks into the wand shop and the bells sound.

I think that would be a good sling sound. It reminds me of my TOTAN sling of swords clashing against each other which fits the theme perfectly as do the bells for a magic shop and Houdini.

#1449 6 years ago

Since your taking requests.... A play off one of his first tricks. A profile view of Houdini pulling the needles out of his mouth with the match number dangling mid pull. Maybe some applauds if a match?

#1450 6 years ago

Fan out cards with numbers. The matching number card pops up from the deck....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.