Topic Stats

• 9,476 posts
  • 549 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Audioenslaved
  • Topic is favorited by 145 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,293 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
20190820_202241 (resized).jpg
20190820_202141 (resized).jpg
20190820_202203 (resized).jpg
20190820_215958 (resized).jpg
DA11DAC5-DB21-422A-927B-25CB029731CE (resized).jpeg
A180D515-A4B6-4430-A10E-2AA29E5C2A90 (resized).jpeg
4A525FA5-9F12-47C3-A3B7-97D4D986C6D1 (resized).jpeg
Houdini Haldane (resized).jpg
IMG_20190810_190510 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpeg
20190811_163439 (resized).jpg
20190811_163454 (resized).jpg
20190811_163143 (resized).jpg
20190811_163137 (resized).jpg
20190811_163030 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 9476 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 190.
#1351 1 year ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Who is getting a Houdini for route?

Mine is getting routed right into my game room! Really looking forward to this game

#1352 1 year ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I'm hoping that this Houdini media blackout means that the production line is rolling and Josh is too busy getting the final software build ready to load on the first machines off the assembly line.

More "about to" roll, with still some hickups I'd assume but nontheless loads of work.

I have faith. I can wait. (And I have to, since my TNA will hit soon and I'm broke for the time beeing after that.)

#1353 1 year ago

I would have loved to get both TNA and Houdini. I can only afford one this year. I visited the Spooky factory and I literally had my deposit in my hand for TNA. At the last minute, I decided that Houdini might be a better fit for my tiny collection. I really, really liked TNA though.

#1354 1 year ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

More "about to" roll, with still some hickups I'd assume but nontheless loads of work.
I have faith. I can wait. (And I have to, since my TNA will hit soon and I'm broke for the time beeing after that.)

TNA and Houdini? Man you've got good taste.

#1356 1 year ago

I'm assuming that Josh and American had a nice Thanksgiving break.

#1357 1 year ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I'm hoping that this Houdini media blackout means that the production line is rolling and Josh is too busy getting the final software build ready to load on the first machines off the assembly line.

'Final' is a relative term, but we will be putting machines out on location shortly, so I am cleaning up things for this first 'release'. This will be pretty close to what will be in the first machines that ship. I would anticipate pretty frequent code updates the first couple of months. Updating code on your machines will be quick and easy.

The assembly line is quite active, while we are waiting on a couple of things, we are taking playfields down the line and assembling them with what we can. I'd guess a few dozen will be 'jump started' this way.

I did shoot a game play video last week, first crack with the new cameras, so, I need to figure out how to best adjust them to get the lighting better, positioning, focus, etc., but since I won't have much time for that this week, figured I would share what I have. Right now I have the second camera showing the upper play field as well as the display, so you can see the mini-display and the front view of the trunk. Figure that was better than just a giant view of the main display. Seems quality drops quite a bit when going up to youtube, but, it is what it is . . .

Also, our marketing guy has had a few items created that some of you may be interested in. First there is a High Quality Miniature Playfield Print. These are a 12x24 miniature print of the art of the Houdini Playfield. It is printed on high gloss quality paper and is perfect for framing and showcasing the art behind Houdini.

We are also offering the Houdini Translite which is a unique art piece that utilizes the eye-catching art from our backglass, and showcases some of the characters on the stage getting ready to open the curtain on the API Grand stage for Houdini to appear.

The high gloss mini-print of the play field art (12x24 inches in size) is $35 and the translite version of the backglass, with the monitor area filled in, is $85, both include shipping within the contiguous US. if interested, you can email sales@american-pinball.com

HH translite (resized).jpg

#1358 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

I did shoot a game play video last week, first crack with the new cameras, so, I need to figure out how to best adjust them to get the lighting better, positioning, focus, etc., but since I won't have much time for that this week, figured I would share what I have. Right now I have the second camera showing the upper play field as well as the display, so you can see the mini-display and the front view of the trunk. Figure that was better than just a giant view of the main display. Seems quality drops quite a bit when going up to youtube, but, it is what it is . . .

Thanks Rosh! The video looks great. I was able to select 720p in the youtube settings. Looking forward to receiving my game!

#1359 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

'Final' is a relative term, but we will be putting machines out on location shortly, so I am cleaning up things for this first 'release'. This will be pretty close to what will be in the first machines that ship. I would anticipate pretty frequent code updates the first couple of months. Updating code on your machines will be quick and easy.
The assembly line is quite active, while we are waiting on a couple of things, we are taking playfields down the line and assembling them with what we can. I'd guess a few dozen will be 'jump started' this way.
» YouTube video
Also, our marketing guy has had a few items created that some of you may be interested in. First there is a High Quality Miniature Playfield Print. These are a 12x24 miniature print of the art of the Houdini Playfield. It is printed on high gloss quality paper and is perfect for framing and showcasing the art behind Houdini.
We are also offering the Houdini Translite which is a unique art piece that utilizes the eye-catching art from our backglass, and showcases some of the characters on the stage getting ready to open the curtain on the API Grand stage for Houdini to appear.
The high gloss mini-print of the play field art (12x24 inches in size) is $35 and the translite version of the backglass, with the monitor area filled in, is $85, both include shipping within the contiguous US. if interested, you can email sales@american-pinball.com

Love the way everything is explained before each mode - pretty rare these days.

I like the sound and the voice work also... although that odd little giggle that plays constantly seems pretty irritating. That's probably just me though.

Great work. It's a winner.

#1360 1 year ago

Rosh, thank you for the video. The game looks amazing and I think that you're a better player than you give yourself credit for. Excellent video that really shows off the game.

#1361 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

» YouTube video

What a light show! Thanks for sharing.

#1362 1 year ago

Looks awesome

#1363 1 year ago

I need to get that translite.

#1364 1 year ago
Quoted from Manic:

that odd little giggle that plays constantly seems pretty irritating.

Last week I was feeling the same, at some point I will likely add a setting to choose from a few different sounds for the sling shots, including 'None'

Quoted from pin2d:

What a light show! Thanks for sharing.

Lightshows need work, more so around adding more, but some of the ones in there now are pretty pedestrian. Those will get added and improved over time. The key is that each of the major objectives has its own color, so when you see the playfield flash a color, you will know what has happened. For example, a blue lightshow, means you just opened the movie theatre (completed lower lanes) or completed a shot for the current running movie mode. Green, means jail escape is open or was completed, Turquiose = Trunk Multiball, Teal = Seance, Red = Stage, Yellow = magic shop, orange = milkcan multiplier, Pink = secret missions (the next shot in current secret mission combo with flash pink, if you hit that shot the next in sequence will light, break the sequence and it goes back to the first shot).

I am still working with and changing how some of the insert flashing is being done. At times there is too much flashing so hard to know which is really the important shots at the time, even if they are color coded, so, that will change a little bit from what is in there today.

Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

I was able to select 720p in the youtube settings.

had not tried that setting, definitely looks much better when set to 720p.

Quoted from Manic:

You can flipper escape out of the intros for all stage and movie movies, and there are now almost a dozen settings for audio verbosity. You can start off with everything on and then turn off items as you get to know the game and/or find it too chatty. You can also control if flipper escape cuts off the verbal instructions or continues even as the ball is put into play. Most stage and movie modes will put the 'next shot' on the mini display briefly after you make the current shot, it will then reappear on that screen every 10 seconds or so (in between it is showing the timer), but might increase the frequency of that.

#1365 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Last week I was feeling the same, at some point I will likely add a setting to choose from a few different sounds for the sling shots, including 'None'

Lightshows need work, more so around adding more, but some of the ones in there now are pretty pedestrian. Those will get added and improved over time. The key is that each of the major objectives has its own color, so when you see the playfield flash a color, you will know what has happened. For example, a blue lightshow, means you just opened the movie theatre (completed lower lanes) or completed a shot for the current running movie mode. Green, means jail escape is open or was completed, Turquiose = Trunk Multiball, Teal = Seance, Red = Stage, Yellow = magic shop, orange = milkcan multiplier, Pink = secret missions (the next shot in current secret mission combo with flash pink, if you hit that shot the next in sequence will light, break the sequence and it goes back to the first shot).
I am still working with and changing how some of the insert flashing is being done. At times there is too much flashing so hard to know which is really the important shots at the time, even if they are color coded, so, that will change a little bit from what is in there today.

had not tried that setting, definitely looks much better when set to 720p.

You can flipper escape out of the intros for all stage and movie movies, and there are now almost a dozen settings for audio verbosity. You can start off with everything on and then turn off items as you get to know the game and/or find it too chatty. You can also control if flipper escape cuts off the verbal instructions or continues even as the ball is put into play. Most stage and movie modes will put the 'next shot' on the mini display briefly after you make the current shot, it will then reappear on that screen every 10 seconds or so (in between it is showing the timer), but might increase the frequency of that.

Also love the way you are never defensive about our "suggestions". Also very rare.

Your attitude alone is going to sell quite a few of these.

#1366 1 year ago
Quoted from Manic:

Also love the way you are never defensive about our "suggestions". Also very rare.
Your attitude alone is going to sell quite a few of these.

This is a fantastic (and correct, IMO) point

#1367 1 year ago

thanks a lot for the video. game looks awesome!

#1368 1 year ago

Everything looks and sounds great. I know some players may not like the verbosity of this game but personally I hate when I play a pin and get into modes and have no idea what I am suppose to do. I think it is absolutely fantastic how the voice acting explains every mode to you in detail. That is so nice for me personally. Also, I think it will be cool that once I own it for a while I can dial back some of the instructions when they become no longer needed. BRAVO. To a point made earlier, I never noticed the sling show giggling until now, perhaps it was a more recent addition, but I would probably silence that from day 1. Just not to my personal taste, but to each their own. Having total control over the settings, as it sounds like you have been working diligently on it really really amazing rosh. Props to you and all your hard work. Cannot wait to have this in my home.

#1369 1 year ago

Looks awesome! Been waiting on a gameplay vid you can actually hear the game, Im in

#1370 1 year ago

Thanks rosh for your awesome work. Big respect for what you and the AP team made !
Can't wait to get this peace of an phenomenal machine.

The color idea is great! And some new sounds would be cool. But i think you have an idea for this.

Hope the milk can shot-accuracy will raise up with the code and perfect leveled machine.
Also i hope the right "ramp" that feeds the inlane is more used.

Maybe the translites will availible at a european dealer? Or should we do a bulk order for germany ?

#1371 1 year ago

IMO, some of the verbal explanations are a little long-winded for pinball. You could cut half the words out and still convey the same meaning.

Animations look like they could use some polish, as well as general presentation. One very low hanging bit of fruit would be to make fade and transitions frames slightly longer. Scene switches would look a lot less abrupt.

However, the game itself appears to be shooting really well now. It looks smooth.

#1372 1 year ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

I never noticed the sling show giggling until now

Actually it has been there from the first time it was shown in public. Could be just the way the mic is picking up the sounds.

Quoted from MightyGrave:

Also i hope the right "ramp" that feeds the inlane is more used.

I've recently changed some code to get some more use of that wire form. If you shoot the trunk, when the movie mode is lit, it will now route to the upper catapult instead of going down to the subway lock. It will play the movie intro and then fire the ball back from there.

Also, a quick update on those playfield prints, when I got the info on those it included a photo, but I did not post it, since it was clearly an out of date image. However, I've just been told that what is currently for sale, are playfield prints of the prototype art, not the final playfield art (so it was the correct image). Sounds like there are just 40 of these prints that were made, and at least 15 have already sold.

Here is the image of the prototype art . . .

Quoted from MightyGrave:

Maybe the translites will availible at a european dealer? Or should we do a bulk order for germany ?

I believe some distributors will be buying/stocking these. You can certainly email sales@ to get more info.

HH Playfield Art Print (resized).jpeg

#1373 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

TNA and Houdini? Man you've got good taste.

Lol. - Sad thing is I seriously doubt I'll be able to afford both... at the same time.

#1374 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

IMO, the verbal explanations are a little long-winded for pinball. You could cut half the words out and still convey the same meaning.
Animations look like they could use some polish.
However, the game itself appears to be shooting really well now. It looks smooth.

No doubt they are verbose, but the options should give you plenty of control. I can see for most collectors (and operators), that after a few weeks, I would have 'next act', 'Houdini intro', and 'next shot' active, but disable 'stage open' and 'narrator rules'. Same basic options for movie modes as well. I would also have the flipper escape cut off sound calls. I have not yet decided what will be factory defaults.

Animations will get some more attention. However, there is a limited budget, and I went with an approach of greater variety vs fancier animations (although these are all uncompressed high res images). As I have said before, I spend way, way way too much time on animations relative to other aspects of the game, given they have far less value to the player then pretty much everything else (voice calls, sound effects, music, lights, rules, etc.). Having said that, as you know, I am always open to suggestions and input.

#1375 1 year ago

Thank you for the info

#1376 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Animations will get some more attention. However, there is a limited budget, and I went with an approach of greater variety vs fancier animations (although these are all uncompressed high res images). As I have said before, I spend way, way way too much time on animations relative to other aspects of the game, given they have far less value to the player then pretty much everything else (voice calls, sound effects, music, lights, rules, etc.). Having said that, as you know, I am always open to suggestions and input.

If you didn't see my quick edit, this was my initial suggestion, as some of the transitions look a little jarring, and indeed there are a few which seem missing.

"Animations look like they could use some polish, as well as general presentation. One very low hanging bit of fruit would be to make fade and transitions frames slightly longer. Scene switches would look a lot less abrupt."

That would certainly not be time consuming or expensive, relatively speaking. Since they're typically sliders and tick boxes in a software package.

#1377 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That would certainly not be time consuming or expensive, relatively speaking. Since they're typically sliders and tick boxes in a software package.

The display system is not an off the shelf package, so there is no easy 'tick box'. It was built primarily by Michael Ocean (MOcean) and myself for the pyprocgameHD/Skeleton Game framework (TNA uses the same basic display system), although at this point there are a lot of Houdini specific enhancements done to it. While I have built quite a few transitions, the flow of information to screen is not as 'orderly' as you might think, making it harder to implement some of that, when different subsystems are queuing up messages to display or waiting to have display priority. Within a mode, it is more feasible to do that, and you will see that with some of the mode intros (in that game play video, you will see this with the movie mode intros, and return from beyond). Obviously traditional DMD is almost all abrupt changes. As the overall flow of the game/modes and animations is settling in, opportunities for smoothing transitions may appear.

#1378 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

If you didn't see my quick edit, this was my initial suggestion, as some of the transitions look a little jarring, and indeed there are a few which seem missing.
"Animations look like they could use some polish, as well as general presentation. One very low hanging bit of fruit would be to make fade and transitions frames slightly longer. Scene switches would look a lot less abrupt."

You are judging a game by a Video and it also sounds like you haven't actually played it? The video in this game looks Amazing and far better than most I have seen. Keep in mind Rosh is Creating these amazing segments with his team not clipping a DVD like Hobbit (not a poke like the game). Yes they are more detailed but a simple flick of the flippers and you can skip it. They are designing a pin for the Masses not the individual. I personally Applaud the creative and Well detailed work they have put into this mechanically and via software. I could only Imagine the work that went into creating these non existent image clips and scenes. This is a game that needs to be Played before judging in my opinion. I am certain as Rosh (in person) seems like a perfectionist they will refine this to perfection. Playing at the open house I only wished I could just sneak mine out the back door!

#1379 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Animations will get some more attention... I am always open to suggestions and input.

Thanks for the videos, I love the machine and I think the animations are getting better. I'm coding a machine myself so I understand the difficulty and amount of work it takes to pull all this together. In fact, I spent the last 3 days reformatting dozens and dozens of slides and animations. Since you're open to suggestions I do have a couple...

Not a fan of the top hat with the hand. The top hat and cape have become a caricature of a bad magician. Houdini and his contemporaries didn't wear or use top hats during performances. Instead, how about rising card from a wine glass ... would have been a classic trick from that period.

I cringe when I see the magic shop animation. Could you find a picture of a turn of the century brick building and Photoshop in a magic shop sign? Or find a vintage picture from the interior of an old magic shop?

One last thing that sticks out is the wide variety of fonts used. The overuse of different fonts looks yucky. Given the context of the game, maybe three to four period-correct fonts max. Vary the size of the font and perhaps a two complementary fonts on the same screen at the same time (one fancy and one simple sans serif). Overall, the game's animations and graphics should come together in a consistent, cohesive design. I think you're close! A little font consistency would make the animations look 1000% better.

Great job and thanks for taking some constructive feedback gracefully.

#1380 1 year ago

Interested, distributors please pm me with best price. Lancaster, Ohio. Thanks.

#1381 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Just a vote for Joe at Pinballstar in PA. Great support, local enough to you without getting hit with Taxes, and he always has some type of deal up his sleeve. lol

#1382 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Everyone is at $ 7,000 - we are not allowed to discount, nor is it necessary - Houdini is an incredible game at and incredible price... LE everything you get from other companies at $ 1000 - $ 2000 less and in Stern's case much more. Happy to help you - email Joe at Sales@PinballSTAR.com.
Taking pre-orders $ 250 refundable deposit.

Thanks David (yelobird) for thumbs up ! : )

#1383 1 year ago
Quoted from Manic:

I like the sound and the voice work also... although that odd little giggle that plays constantly seems pretty irritating. That's probably just me though.
Great work. It's a winner.

I agree on the giggles.....although if they could code it so the giggles are different then I don't think it would be a big deal

#1384 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I am certain as Rosh (in person) seems like a perfectionist they will refine this to perfection.

"Perfectionist", no. First off, I don't believe any pinball machine can be perfect, and even if it was possible, and I strived for perfection, you would likely never get your games (see Jpop). There is always going to be something I would have liked to have done different/better. My job is about balance, and that applies to many things. I have to balance the needs of the timelines, budgets with my vision for the game. I have to balance the rules to be good for novices, enthusiasts and wizards. I have to balance my efforts around rules vs lights vs animations vs sounds. My goal is to minimize the sacrifices I have to make within the decisions, to try to get as much of what I want in the machine, into the machine. Fight the good fight. There are always tradeoffs and things you have to give up. There are always things that are not quite right, but, are determined to be 'good enough' since there are bigger issues/needs elsewhere.

Quoted from konjurer:

I cringe when I see the magic shop animation.

I have to laugh since this is the second version of it, the first, which was done by the animator, was felt to be too cartoony by the artist. So he did the current one, and I think it does to a better job of capturing more of that time period feel (regardless, you have to like my animated barber pole on the building). While I get your point on the look, not sure it is 'cringe worthy' (if you said that about the original, I would buy it). I will share your feedback with the artist.

Quoted from konjurer:

Not a fan of the top hat with the hand. The top hat and cape have become a caricature of a bad magician. Houdini and his contemporaries didn't wear or use top hats during performances. Instead, how about rising card from a wine glass ... would have been a classic trick from that period.

I debated quite a bit about the hat, original we talked about a 'box', but the animator went with the hat, partially due to lending it self better for pulling out the 'awards' (e.g. the clear wine glass would not quite do that sine it is a lot more than cards that get pulled out -- during my brief dalliance with Magic, I used to do the rising card trick). Keep in mind, it is not Houdini at the magic shop (although he did own one that still exists today), and if you go into most magic shops, you are going to see tricks based on the pulling something out of a hat or box or bag. So at the end of the day, it is a well know magical element, and it seemed a good fit for the mystery award, which is why I felt it worked. There is a long list of suggestions from folks here where I totally crapped on them for not being true or honorable to 'Houdini'. But you do have to make some compromises or take literary license to make things work.

Quoted from konjurer:

One last thing that sticks out is the wide variety of fonts used. The overuse of different fonts looks yucky.

hmm, there are only four maybe five fonts total used in the game, and 90% of what is on screen for dynamic text is the same font. There are a couple of animations that are still place holders (I think there was one during bullet catch), that use "Impact" but those will eventually go away. I guess one place you are seeing that is the different 'panels' that rise up on the main score screen, since some of the panels use a font to match that section of the game. A couple use our 'alternative' font, which is narrower than the primary font that is used. The movie theatre marquee, I think has the original 'houdini' font we were using, but that one was just too wide and went to a narrower one, so, there probably is a mixed font on those screens. The one that is part of the image and the dynamic text, so, that one will likely get adjusted. There are some other animations/screens with non dynamic text, that are non-standard fonts, done by the artist or animator to match the feel for the animation that follows. Well, I guess in some cases it was me, with some of the stage intro animations before we settled in on the primary font -- so some of those could get changed (typically those are the sans-serif fonts). But typically there is no other fonts on the page, e.g. the 'magic shop' sign on the building, the FILM letters, the SEANCE letters, the intro screen for Needles, etc. I'll have to keep an eye out for any animations that have a mix of more than 2 fonts or screens done early with what is now a non-standard font. You do want some variation for the sections to help you quickly know what info you are looking at, e.g. Seance vs Film vs Escape. Again, typically single font. So talking through it, probably a touch more than I remembered/realized, but still not a ton, regardless, I'll keep an eye out.

Quoted from 3pinballs:

I agree on the giggles.....although if they could code it so the giggles are different then I don't think it would be a big deal

Funny story, I am sitting in my office one day, and I keep hearing giggles, that sound like they are coming from the hallway. I'm first thinking it is our receptionist chatting with someone, but I keep hearing it. Finally I realize that I must have turned on attract sounds, and the giggle had been thrown in there as a place holder months earlier. Since the machine sits parallel to my desk, the sounds were bouncing off the glass door to my office, given it the sense it was from outside the office.

Different giggles might help, but still might just be annoying. Coming up with sound effects for things like slings, loops, attract, etc. and have them fit the theme, not too easy. You can only use chain and lock sounds so many times. Meeting with my sound guy tomorrow, so he and I will brainstorm though some other sounds. But if you have suggestions . . .

#1385 1 year ago

Can a plug be installed for a plug and play topper? Comissioned Dan at Tilttoppers to make a topper for Pinball Magic and was going to do the same for my Houdini ? By far IMO his creativity for toppers is second to none!

#1386 1 year ago

Rosh... great video, Thanks!

Are the pop bumper "chain sounds" actually coming from the pops, or are they coming from the speakers when they are hit?

#1387 1 year ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Rosh... great video, Thanks!
Are the pop bumper "chain sounds" actually coming from the pops, or are they coming from the speakers when they are hit?

Speakers. The chains are actually plastic.

#1388 1 year ago

Hey Rosh, looks like we're going to need cliffy's on the Catapults, holes and maybe another area. Why not work with Cliffy and offer those as an add on as you start production. This will save us time tearing apart and installing.

#1389 1 year ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Hey Rosh, looks like we're going to need cliffy's on the Catapults, holes and maybe another area. Why not work with Cliffy and offer those as an add on as you start production. This will save us time tearing apart and installing.

Because as Rosh already covered this is not a custom assembly line. All games will be the same and same model. Many like myself do not want HUO protection. Plus this gives you quality time with your personal game and upgrades.....

#1390 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Because as Rosh already covered this is not a custom assembly line. All games will be the same and same model. Many like myself do not want HUO protection. Plus this gives you quality time with your personal game and upgrades.....

At the very least, I hope they've sent Cliff a playfield by now so he can have day one protectors available for owners to buy as an option. I've suggested it, as have others.

#1391 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

At the very least, I hope they've sent Cliff a playfield by now so he can have day one protectors available for owners to buy as an option. I've suggested it, as have others.

NOT questioning your suggestion just curious if thats how CG, Stern, JJP, etc work with Cliff and other secondary markets? Not saying its not a good idea just wondering If thats what they do? Seems like Cliffy makes his amazing products after the release and OEM fine tuning. Would be bad business to have secondary markets start making mods etc only to make an OEM change and have him eat the change. Kind of like the cell phone market and cases.

#1392 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

NOT questioning your suggestion just curious if thats how CG, Stern, JJP, etc work with Cliff and other secondary markets?

I'm pretty sure Stern didn't work with Cliff at all. They just copied his design.

#1393 1 year ago

Congrats Rosh on reaching these final steps. This is quite an achievement.

#1394 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

NOT questioning your suggestion just curious if thats how CG, Stern, JJP, etc work with Cliff and other secondary markets? Not saying its not a good idea just wondering If thats what they do? Seems like Cliffy makes his amazing products after the release and OEM fine tuning. Would be bad business to have secondary markets start making mods etc only to make an OEM change and have him eat the change. Kind of like the cell phone market and cases.

Unsurprisingly, Stern just rips off Cliff's designs. RE: AP Houdini, I doubt there would be an OEM playfield change within the last 1-2 months before launch since the playfields need time to cure, so it's safe to send him one (if it hasn't been done before).

#1395 1 year ago

Seriously, I just want to congratulate you on this huge accomplishment. The game really does look fantastic and I cannot wait to play it.

#1396 1 year ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Not a fan of the top hat with the hand. The top hat and cape have become a caricature of a bad magician.

As I mentioned, Houdini was once the owner of the Martinka magic shop, that opened shortly after the civil war. One of the subsequent owners was Al Flosso, who owned it from 1939 to 1976. Flosso was a well known magician in the time, having made appearance on many of the early variety shows on TV. Below is a photo of Al in the magic shop, note what he is wearing on this head . Almost every photo I have seen of Flosso has him wearing a top hat, and while he was certainly not the first to pull a rabbit out of a hat (allegedly Louis Comte was the first in 1814), I have to wonder if his appearances on TV helped popularize the top hat for magicians.

al flossos magic shop (resized).jpeg

#1397 1 year ago

I'm a professional magician, and I'm here to testify that top hats and magic wands are synonymous with magicians as far as the general public goes! Can't tell you how many thousands of events I've attended where this was the theme. Given that "Houdini" is a nod to the past, it is completely appropriate to use any of the old magic symbols in my opinion!

#1398 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

"Perfectionist", no. First off, I don't believe any pinball machine can be perfect, and even if it was possible, and I strived for perfection, you would likely never get your games (see Jpop). There is always going to be something I would have liked to have done different/better. My job is about balance, and that applies to many things. I have to balance the needs of the timelines, budgets with my vision for the game. I have to balance the rules to be good for novices, enthusiasts and wizards. I have to balance my efforts around rules vs lights vs animations vs sounds. My goal is to minimize the sacrifices I have to make within the decisions, to try to get as much of what I want in the machine, into the machine. Fight the good fight. There are always tradeoffs and things you have to give up. There are always things that are not quite right, but, are determined to be 'good enough' since there are bigger issues/needs elsewhere.

I have to laugh since this is the second version of it, the first, which was done by the animator, was felt to be too cartoony by the artist. So he did the current one, and I think it does to a better job of capturing more of that time period feel (regardless, you have to like my animated barber pole on the building). While I get your point on the look, not sure it is 'cringe worthy' (if you said that about the original, I would buy it). I will share your feedback with the artist.

I debated quite a bit about the hat, original we talked about a 'box', but the animator went with the hat, partially due to lending it self better for pulling out the 'awards' (e.g. the clear wine glass would not quite do that sine it is a lot more than cards that get pulled out -- during my brief dalliance with Magic, I used to do the rising card trick). Keep in mind, it is not Houdini at the magic shop (although he did own one that still exists today), and if you go into most magic shops, you are going to see tricks based on the pulling something out of a hat or box or bag. So at the end of the day, it is a well know magical element, and it seemed a good fit for the mystery award, which is why I felt it worked. There is a long list of suggestions from folks here where I totally crapped on them for not being true or honorable to 'Houdini'. But you do have to make some compromises or take literary license to make things work.

hmm, there are only four maybe five fonts total used in the game, and 90% of what is on screen for dynamic text is the same font. There are a couple of animations that are still place holders (I think there was one during bullet catch), that use "Impact" but those will eventually go away. I guess one place you are seeing that is the different 'panels' that rise up on the main score screen, since some of the panels use a font to match that section of the game. A couple use our 'alternative' font, which is narrower than the primary font that is used. The movie theatre marquee, I think has the original 'houdini' font we were using, but that one was just too wide and went to a narrower one, so, there probably is a mixed font on those screens. The one that is part of the image and the dynamic text, so, that one will likely get adjusted. There are some other animations/screens with non dynamic text, that are non-standard fonts, done by the artist or animator to match the feel for the animation that follows. Well, I guess in some cases it was me, with some of the stage intro animations before we settled in on the primary font -- so some of those could get changed (typically those are the sans-serif fonts). But typically there is no other fonts on the page, e.g. the 'magic shop' sign on the building, the FILM letters, the SEANCE letters, the intro screen for Needles, etc. I'll have to keep an eye out for any animations that have a mix of more than 2 fonts or screens done early with what is now a non-standard font. You do want some variation for the sections to help you quickly know what info you are looking at, e.g. Seance vs Film vs Escape. Again, typically single font. So talking through it, probably a touch more than I remembered/realized, but still not a ton, regardless, I'll keep an eye out.

Funny story, I am sitting in my office one day, and I keep hearing giggles, that sound like they are coming from the hallway. I'm first thinking it is our receptionist chatting with someone, but I keep hearing it. Finally I realize that I must have turned on attract sounds, and the giggle had been thrown in there as a place holder months earlier. Since the machine sits parallel to my desk, the sounds were bouncing off the glass door to my office, given it the sense it was from outside the office.
Different giggles might help, but still might just be annoying. Coming up with sound effects for things like slings, loops, attract, etc. and have them fit the theme, not too easy. You can only use chain and lock sounds so many times. Meeting with my sound guy tomorrow, so he and I will brainstorm though some other sounds. But if you have suggestions . . .

How about the sound of a crown watching one of his feats, an "oooh" and "aaaw" sound with a touch of apprehension is the only way I can describe it, but people still make that sound today when they see something remarkable and a bit scary.

#1399 1 year ago
Quoted from Videogod:

I'm a professional magician, and I'm here to testify that top hats and magic wands are synonymous with magicians as far as the general public goes! Can't tell you how many thousands of events I've attended where this was the theme. Given that "Houdini" is a nod to the past, it is completely appropriate to use any of the old magic symbols in my opinion!

Ok that is just a cool title to say! Every kids dream bravo to you! As long as your not a Clown! lol

#1400 1 year ago

Dilly Dilly to the Magician amongst us!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
There are 9476 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 190.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside