20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 286 of 297.
#14251 1 year ago

Does anyone have any updates on when the next production run of Houdini's might be expected?

Update: I have now put a deposit down on a new one…

#14252 1 year ago

discovered this episode on Houdini on my last road trip to North Carolina. Interesting listen and surprising details.
https://podcasts.apple.com/in/podcast/harry-houdini-more-than-magic/id278981407?i=1000539295822

#14253 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

In addition to checking left/right level, use the slow motion on your camera phone to watch the ball's flight path, check to be sure it is not hitting the plastic ramp, which will deflect it left.

Unfortunately I am experiencing this issue. My catapult never missed the trunk until a few weeks ago, now it deflects off the ramp and lands left of the trunk about half the time. I am new to pinball, this is my first machine so I am very cautious to attempt any adjustments aside from software settings. Aside from this issue it plays perfectly and I love it.

Is it safe to check the level with a torpedo level that contains a magnet? I haven't done this yet for fear of causing damage from placing the level on the playfield. If the left/right level is off, it isn't noticeable aside from this issue.

#14254 1 year ago
Quoted from FormerNightOwl:

Unfortunately I am experiencing this issue. My catapult never missed the trunk until a few weeks ago, now it deflects off the ramp and lands left of the trunk about half the time. I am new to pinball, this is my first machine so I am very cautious to attempt any adjustments aside from software settings. Aside from this issue it plays perfectly and I love it.
Is it safe to check the level with a torpedo level that contains a magnet? I haven't done this yet for fear of causing damage from placing the level on the playfield. If the left/right level is off, it isn't noticeable aside from this issue.

I suspect you should be fine with your level. The pin should be off as you check levels. Take off the playfield glass and check the levels of the playfield itself. It can seem fine, but still be off. Check both the slope and side to side level. If either is off it can impact the trunk trajectory. The slope should be at 6.0. That’s the factory setting. If that’s all it is, good for you. If not, I suggest you call American Pinball since you are new to pinball. They are pretty good with customer service. The other fixes people suggest on this thread can be pretty involved. Bottom line, eliminate the simple first.

#14255 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

I suspect you should be fine with your level. The pin should be off as you check levels. Take off the playfield glass and check the levels of the playfield itself. It can seem fine, but still be off. Check both the slope and side to side level. If either is off it can impact the trunk trajectory. The slope should be at 6.0. That’s the factory setting. If that’s all it is, good for you. If not, I suggest you call American Pinball since you are new to pinball. They are pretty good with customer service. The other fixes people suggest on this thread can be pretty involved. Bottom line, eliminate the simple first.

Sounds like a plan, thank you very much! I really hope it's just a matter of leveling it since I don't trust myself to attempt anything more involved on it yet. I was a bit concerned about the magnet with all the electronics and magnets inside the machine. I really appreciate the advice. This game is a masterpiece, I love having it in my home and playing it with friends and family.

#14256 1 year ago
Quoted from scbill88:

Fixed!! 10 games, trunk shot hit every time. Some shots went right of center (but in) and that never happened before.
I still have to snip off the old holes to make it pretty. Also, there was a lot of torque on the ramp wanting to go back to
it's original position so I may order another ramp in case it cracks years down the road. Extra parts are always good to have!
[quoted image]

I made the same mod a few years ago...haven't had problem since...I left my old holes on.

#14257 1 year ago
Quoted from jewboyflowerhead:

First post in probably the only pinside thread where i have read evey single post since the beginning. I'll try to make this as brief as possible.....
Bought a houdini used. Early production, outdated code, old power supply. Underforming coils. Flippers were weak, but i never completely lost power.
Upraded PS. Gameplay improved tremendously. Catapult hit everytime. However, flippers would lose power randomly and completely once magnets activate. Always at the beginning, so ball save would usually still be active, so gameplay would be minimally affected. Would always regain power after 5 seconds and function fine the rest of the game.
Added coil improvement board. Loses all power when magnets activate. Does not recover until magnets stop, and overall game plays pretty poorly with this board installed.
Any thoughts?

Curious what capacitor is on the coil board you have install? I noticed the original version coil board had a 10,000 mf capacitor design, but the october2021 manual shows they updated the capacitor on the coil board to a 33,000 mf capacitor. (Stores a lot more energy)

#14258 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Curious what capacitor is on the coil board you have install? I noticed the original version coil board had a 10,000 mf capacitor design, but the october2021 manual shows they updated the capacitor on the coil board to a 33,000 mf capacitor. (Stores a lot more energy)

Interesting, i will check it out

#14259 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Please send me a picture of your 48v power supply and connections along with the API store order#. [email protected]

Pics and order number incoming today. Checked through everything again, it it looks correct to me. Hopefully something jumps out at you.

#14260 1 year ago

OK, it must be me missing something, but while waiting/anticipating a new Houdini machine from the next production run, I was browsing around the web and came across the very early 2016 prototype pictures and a discussion about the machine, LONG BEFORE IT WAS ACTUALLY RELEASED. I had never seen this detail previously, so it was kinda fascinating to read about API's "magic" theme journey, (Starting with their Magic Girl involvement). Notice not surprisingly that the Flyer artwork and detail doesn't match the prototype machine, and the prototype machine doesn't match the production units at all.

The reporter's write up after seeing HOUDINI circa September 2016, in las vegas:
https://www.pinballnews.com/news/americanpinball2.html

And then pictures of the first prototype (notice the water torture chamber was replaced by the theater stage, and almost everything else changed too!) here:
h3 (resized).jpgh3 (resized).jpgh1 (resized).jpgh1 (resized).jpgh2 (resized).jpgh2 (resized).jpg

#14261 1 year ago

OK, it must be me missing something, but while waiting/anticipating a new Houdini machine from the next production run, I was browsing around the web and came across the very early 2016 prototype pictures and a discussion about the machine, LONG BEFORE IT WAS ACTUALLY RELEASED. I had never seen this detail previously, so it was kinda fascinating to read about API's "magic" theme journey, (Starting with their Magic Girl involvement). Notice not surprisingly that the Flyer artwork and detail doesn't match the prototype machine, and the prototype machine doesn't match the production units at all.
The reporter's write up after seeing HOUDINI circa September 2016, in las vegas:
https://www.pinballnews.com/news/americanpinball2.html
And then pictures of the first prototype (notice the water torture chamber was replaced by the theater stage, and almost everything else changed too!) here:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty sure that is rhe JPop designed Houdini.

#14262 1 year ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Pretty sure that is rhe JPop designed Houdini.

The early design was connected to him for sure. API was helping him get out of the Magic Girl mess when they started as a company, and his hand was all over the early prototype Houdini design. I haven't uncovered how their 'changing' relationship translated to the complete 180-degree change in Houdini but clearly it did. Based on what I see, I think we ended up with a far superior game...

#14263 1 year ago

The early design was connected to him for sure. API was helping him get out of the Magic Girl mess when they started as a company, and his hand was all over the early prototype Houdini design. I haven't uncovered how their 'changing' relationship translated to the complete 180-degree change in Houdini but clearly it did. Based on what I see, I think we ended up with a far superior game...

I would have loved to flip this JPop Houdini. I wonder where this proto Houdini is…

I do like the current Houdini, one of my favs in my collection. It’s definetly the style of game I enjoy.

#14264 1 year ago
Quoted from Stebel:

I would have loved to flip this JPop Houdini. I wonder where this proto Houdini is…
I do like the current Houdini, one of my favs in my collection. It’s definetly the style of game I enjoy.

I know what you mean. I sold my first Houdini machine 15 months ago, and knew almost immediately I was going to regret it. Its the kind of theme I like as well. Now I have a new one on order and have been accumulating some mods for it. Still looking for some kind of flipper toppers. (The API store seems sold out for the last two months. Maybe when their deluxe machines hit the production line they will re-stock the plastic toppers).

#14265 1 year ago

It's fairly well documented in interviews at Expo or TPF that when they brought Joe Balcer in he looked at JPOP's layout and found it to needed so much work (shots that go nowhere, etc.) he just scrapped it. I have seen the prototype playfield in person and it looks cool but I still think API did a better job capturing the actual, real person in their version.

#14266 1 year ago

hi guys,

i rarely have the chance to do this.
i have 5 extra steampunk shooter rod ready to go.

i started a list a while ago, left open and couldn't save it.
so if i forgot someone please let me know.

just shoot me a pm.

thanks everyone, bob.

Steampunk shooter rod, side (resized).JPGSteampunk shooter rod, side (resized).JPGSteampunk shooter rods sept.22 (resized).jpgSteampunk shooter rods sept.22 (resized).jpg
#14267 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

hi guys,
just shoot me a pm.
thanks everyone, bob.[quoted image][quoted image]

Pm sent.

#14268 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

hi guys,
just shoot me a pm.

PM sent ! I want this!

#14269 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

hi guys,
just shoot me a pm.

A must have.

#14270 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

hi guys,
just shoot me a pm.

Looks awesome, PM sent!!

#14271 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

hi guys,

well, all gone!!!

thanks everybody!

might have enough parts left to do 2 or 3 more, not sure when, but i can put you on a list.

bob.

#14272 1 year ago

I recently added a 6" speaker in the bottom of my Houdini cabinet. I hooked it up to the sub on the small amp in the backbox.

It works but seems unclear and low in volume. Anybody else do this? What settings did you use on the amp? Would it work better hooked to the main speaker terminals? Thanks.

#14273 1 year ago

The houdini AMP has dedicated connections for left, right main speakers and a dedicated connection for the sub. The sub also has its own volume control on the amp. I assume you have the lepai 168h amp

here is the amp manual
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/310-308--lepai-lp-168ha-manual(2).pdf

Quoted from drummermike:

I recently added a 6" speaker in the bottom of my Houdini cabinet. I hooked it up to the sub on the small amp in the backbox.
It works but seems unclear and low in volume. Anybody else do this? What settings did you use on the amp? Would it work better hooked to the main speaker terminals? Thanks.

#14274 1 year ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I did this...and described how to do it several posts back. The amp has enough juice to blow the cabinet apart. Turn down main amp power...turn up the bass output on the far right of the amp...andjust game sound till its where you like it. If memory serves me correctly the main amp power is down and I have the bass output turned up about 1/4 from stopped or 0. Then I turned the sound up in the game software.
Also...leave it hooked up to the sub outputs as you did...and don't connect it to the main speakers.
The only issue you're having is making sound adjustments. It will work fine when you dial it in.

Added 18 months ago:

Edit...after looking today my settings are...main amp power output knob turned down to about 7. Bass output on far right is about 7 or 8. Crossover is 0. Game software volume is 5.0

#14275 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

I did this...and described how to do it several posts back. The amp has enough juice to blow the cabinet apart. Turn down main amp power...turn up the bass output on the far right of the amp...andjust game sound till its where you like it. If memory serves me correctly the main amp power is down and I have the bass output turned up about 1/4 from stopped or 0. Then I turned the sound up in the game software.
Also...leave it hooked up to the sub outputs as you did...and don't connect it to the main speakers.
The only issue you're having is making sound adjustments. It will work fine when you dial it in.

Its also popular to relocate the Amp into the lower cabinet to make adjusting it a lot easier.

#14276 1 year ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Do you have a picture of the install? I assume you used a 6-inch hole cutter and put some metal mesh in front of the speaker itself? I have thought about doing so myself on a new machine coming in a few months and just wonder if it was worth the effort.

Update: I had an original Houdini serial around #1250 and it would have needed a cabinet speaker installed manually in the field. It sounds like API has added a cabinet speaker to the production build saving buyers the trouble of doing that. Is that correct?

#14277 1 year ago

Do you have a picture of the install? I assume you used a 6-inch hole cutter and put some metal mesh in front of the speaker itself? I have thought about doing so myself and just wonder if it was worth the effort.

I can tell you it is. Very easy...definitely worth it. I listed all the parts you need and links to them...again several posts back now. The only thing I didn't get was speaker screen. In any event...the pyle sub, hole saw and mdf speaker rings all together were under 60 dollars.

#14278 1 year ago

See post 14115 and 14119 on page 283

#14279 1 year ago

Do you have a picture of the install? I assume you used a 6-inch hole cutter and put some metal mesh in front of the speaker itself? I have thought about doing so myself on a new machine coming in a few months and just wonder if it was worth the effort.
Update: I had an original Houdini serial around #1250 and it would have needed a cabinet speaker installed manually in the field. It sounds like API has added a cabinet speaker to the production build saving buyers the trouble of doing that. Is that correct?

I bought a cheap 6.5" hole saw, wire and a round metal speaker cover on Amazon. I started the hole inside and finished it outside to get a nice smooth hole. I used a 6" speaker from a Stern that was replaced with Flipper Fidelity speakers.

The new Houdini pins have lower cabinet speakers.

See page 283 for pictures.

#14280 1 year ago

Thanks for all the advice. I will get it set up soon.

#14281 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Do you have a picture with all the knob settings? Where did you set the X-over? Thanks.

#14282 1 year ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Do you have a picture with all the knob settings? Where did you set the X-over? Thanks.

This should get you in the ballpark. Take the bass (on the far right of the amp) knob to 10...then turn it back to six or seven or so...crossover is 0
Main volume on the amp is turned down to 7 or so
And volume in game settings software is at 5.0
This yields excellent results for a home environment.

20221002_092007 (resized).jpg20221002_092007 (resized).jpg

I've found that turning down the sound on the main amp is very important to sound quality. Imo this cuts most of distortion of the sub.. it dumbs down the backbox some and brings out more sub. Remember to now adjust main volumes in software. Just move it around until you find what you like. The above settings netted me a nice clean rich sound.

1 week later
#14283 1 year ago

Yea my Houdini has the sub from factory and forgoes the bottom front speakers on the head.

#14284 1 year ago

Limited Run Available Now.
Pm me or Check out my Pinside shop.

SOLD!
Other - For Sale
“Houdini Planchette Custom Playfield Upgrade Mod. Easy to install, simple overlay design Mod. Double sided tape, peel and apply. Thick plastic piece with rich 3D detail, custom engr...”
2022-10-12
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 224 days
Viewed: 407 times
Contributed to Pinside

#14285 1 year ago

I’m in the club!!! After my fourth full game I spelled Houdini and got to master magician BUT…the game bugged out after the first wiz mode inverted flipper wave and went into an unfruitful ball search. I had to pull the glass off and launch a ball by hand while the mode was still running. When it hurt the shooter lane switch it ended my game!!!! Akkkkk!!! It’s this a known bug? Maybe I’m running on old code? I’ve has the game for under 24 hrs. Really loving it so far! Although I do shudder to think what my 4.6 *million score COULD have been.

*not billion lol
6BC32722-7BDB-4B2D-B3AF-E7B0C0236EDA (resized).jpeg6BC32722-7BDB-4B2D-B3AF-E7B0C0236EDA (resized).jpeg

#14286 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I’m in the club!!! After my fourth full game I spelled Houdini and got to master magician BUT…the game bugged out after the first wiz mode inverted flipper wave and went into an unfruitful ball search. I had to pull the glass off and launch a ball by hand while the mode was still running. When it hurt the shooter lane switch it ended my game!!!! Akkkkk!!! It’s this a known bug? Maybe I’m running on old code? I’ve has the game for under 24 hrs. Really loving it so far! Although I do shudder to think what my 4.6 billion score COULD have been.
[quoted image]

What version are you running? the latest is from last october, Version 21.10.25

#14287 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I’m in the club!!! After my fourth full game I spelled Houdini and got to master magician BUT…the game bugged out after the first wiz mode inverted flipper wave and went into an unfruitful ball search. I had to pull the glass off and launch a ball by hand while the mode was still running. When it hurt the shooter lane switch it ended my game!!!! Akkkkk!!! It’s this a known bug? Maybe I’m running on old code? I’ve has the game for under 24 hrs. Really loving it so far! Although I do shudder to think what my 4.6 billion score COULD have been.
[quoted image]

If you ever get into the billions on Houdini please do let us know!

#14288 1 year ago

Hahaha people gripe about this game being hard to shoot, I think it shoots great. Bit of tightness but certainly nothing to complain about and I’m loving sniping those shots.

Quoted from bobukcat:

If you ever get into the billions on Houdini please do let us know!

I’ll check what code v the game is running when I get back to my location tomorrow. Thanks for the info

What version are you running? the latest is from last october, Version 21.10.25

#14289 1 year ago

The game is just fantastic and even new pricing is a deal with what you get and used what a bargain! I believe the shaker implementations are the best in pinball.

#14290 1 year ago

What shaker does this game take? Same as Stern? I definitely plan on putting one in mine very soon

Quoted from rockrand:

The game is just fantastic and even new pricing is a deal with what you get and used what a bargain! I believe the shaker implementations are the best in pinball.

#14291 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

What shaker does this game take? Same as Stern? I definitely plan on putting one in mine very soon

Shaker is used for the Elephant, not sure what else. The knocker though is better imo, used for the bullet catch.

#14292 1 year ago

Shaker used in pops! And I have discussed this before buy there is a big difference in shaker implementations have you ever felt some shakers buzzy and crappy feeling and some just role up your arms and are just wonderful jjp does a good job also ,I really don’t know why buts it very real.i also move weights around on most game also.

#14293 1 year ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Shaker used in pops! And I have discussed this before buy there is a big difference in shaker implementations have you ever felt some shaker buzzy and crappy feeling and some just role up your arms and are just wonderful jjp does a good job also ,I really don’t know why buts it very real.i also move weights around on most game also.

Oh yea the pops! So good and subtle I forgot about it!

#14294 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

[quoted image]

seems strange while its very low on points for having reached MM !? (my high is 55M)
than check the code & if all is set to factory (but i'm quite sure you've done it already)

#14295 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

API has the shaker on their store, $125

#14296 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Shaker is used for the Elephant, not sure what else. The knocker though is better imo, used for the bullet catch.

I like it when the trunk closes

#14297 1 year ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I like it when the trunk closes

The shaker ramps up violently right before the lower catapult is launched.

1 week later
#14298 1 year ago

Getting tempted to buy another Houdini. I sold mine a few years ago. Seems like a lot of magic is missing from the new releases. This game is packed compared to them. I should add, already bought a second Oktoberfest. Great game!

#14299 1 year ago

Dare I say Kaneda did influence me in these decisions!

#14300 1 year ago

On his last video from expo, Todd Tuckey said AP is going to run Houdini (and fest) again but this time with changes to make them easier(?).

I had heard about them maybe changing the head to something more square and traditional, but making it easier? Anyone know what he was talking about?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 286 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/286 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.