20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 297.
#1301 6 years ago

I would hardly say it’s better, they discuss two completely different things. Lol.

#1302 6 years ago

You know we are hungry for video when we all start watching documentaries... They are interesting for sure but I want to see more of the pinball machine in action!

#1303 6 years ago

Winners in Canada have a Houdini puzzle padlock for under $13 CDN + Tax (clearance, about 50% off list price). Cool looking lock (metal?) with keys. It's some type of puzzle, & padlock is large. Bayers Lake in Halifax had 2 on the shelves before check out.
https://www.amazon.ca/Professor-Puzzle-Houdini-Lock-Hearts/dp/B00Y3R7P0O/ref=sr_1_1

#1304 6 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Winners in Canada have a Houdini puzzle padlock for under $13 CDN + Tax (clearance, about 50% off list price). Cool looking lock (metal?) with keys. It's some type of puzzle, & padlock is large. Bayers Lake in Halifax had 2 on the shelves before check out.
amazon.com link »

Funny, been watching that lock on ebay for several months, just haven't pulled the trigger.

#1305 6 years ago

I bought one of this from Ebay, was cheap ($2.79 shipped) and will be my keychain for the coin door. They also make them in copper and silver, but stuck with bronze to match the cabinet art.

Lock (resized).JPGLock (resized).JPG

#1306 6 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

I bought one of this from Ebay, was cheap ($2.79 shipped) and will be my keychain for the coin door. They also make them in copper and silver, but stuck with bronze to match the cabinet art.

Ebay link? Thanks

#1307 6 years ago

not the same price but the same lock

ebay.com link: Old Retro Vintage Antique Style Metal Mini Padlocks Key Lock Lot of 3 3pcs Set

on aliexpress found a smaller one.

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 3.50.01 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-11-10 at 3.50.01 PM (resized).png

#1308 6 years ago

cartoon_in_straight_jacket_keychains (resized).jpgcartoon_in_straight_jacket_keychains (resized).jpg

#1310 6 years ago

Had an Absolutely Great time visiting and touring the API facility today. Rosh as expected was an amazing host and answered Any question you through at him. More importantly you can tell they were looking for feedback and listening to make the Houdini launch a home run! The assembly line looks prepped/staged almost ready to hit the Start button. Every detail of assembly and more importantly QC was checked and double checked. Very impressive! While a start up, they are focused on hitting it out of the park and Exceeding expectations on every level. Proud to be an Early adopter and my confidence in this product, their team, and company is rock solid after this visit. Bravo to the API team and Thank You sincerely for opening your doors to give us a sneak peak!

The Mod Couple!

#1311 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Had an Absolutely Great time visiting and touring the API facility today. Rosh as expected was an amazing host and answered Any question you through at him. More importantly you can tell they were looking for feedback and listening to make the Houdini launch a home run! The assembly line looks prepped/staged almost ready to hit the Start button. Every detail of assembly and more importantly QC was checked and double checked. Very impressive! While a start up, they are focused on hitting it out of the park and Exceeding expectations on every level. Proud to be an Early adopter and my confidence in this product, their team, and company is rock solid after this visit. Bravo to the API team and Thank You sincerely for opening your doors to give us a sneak peak!
The Mod Couple!

Glad to hear it, although I’m pleased to say I’m not surprised! The AP team has done a great job thus far of reaching out, clearly using 6sigma or ITIL to incorporate feedback directly into the design process - anyway, very great news. I am totally envious! Wish we were in Chicago too. Maybe when I retire I can afford to go work for AP

#1312 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Glad to hear it, although I’m pleased to say I’m not surprised! The AP team has done a great job thus far of reaching out, clearly using 6sigma or ITIL to incorporate feedback directly into the design process - anyway, very great news. I am totally envious! Wish we were in Chicago too. Maybe when I retire I can afford to go work for AP

According to Rosh they are Hiring so your in Luck! lol Who needs retirement if your doing what makes you happy with a team that feels the same!

#1313 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

According to Rosh they are Hiring so your in Luck! lol Who needs retirement if your doing what makes you happy with a team that feels the same!

Well my wallet would need it still have a kid to put through college

#1314 6 years ago

A big thanks to Josh for inviting us out to AP yesterday! The facility is very impressive, as is the game. I think they've got a winner on their hands with Houdini. It's truly amazing what the team was able to pull off in such a short period of time. The game already feels quite polished, and it's obviously just going to get better and better.

#1315 6 years ago

Did anyone take videos?

#1316 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Did anyone take videos?

If you mean facility everyone was respectful of their privacy and avoided and production photos or video though I will say they are a Green Light for go for the most part. As for game play, Rosh made it clear he was going to be doing a video soon and a software test visit did not seem like an appropriate representation of their product or our time. I am certain he will get some video out soon though I must say while not 100% the net is Filled with video content and game play already? No, its not every new software update video but they do represent Most of the game play in considering an evaluation of the product. Rosh seems (which is awesome) like a perfectionist. My guess is he is holding off on major film biographies until his software masterpiece is museum worthy. lol The game itself is a masterpiece and well documented in videos everywhere from Multiple showings throughout the years. Just my opinion.

#1317 6 years ago

Was slated to be there but unfortunately had to fly home to set up hospice care for my dad. Flight back got delayed and after all of that I just couldn't bring myself to concentrate on pinball. I'm glad the reviews are positive and I am really looking forward to this pin. I even have a good animated topper idea in mind.

#1318 6 years ago

First I want to thank Rosh and the folks at American Pinball for opening up their place to us. AP were great hosts who took valuable time out of their schedule to let us play their games ask a ton of questions (many of which I’m sure they’ve heard countless times) and even conducted a tour of the production floor. All this on a Saturday when they could have been home with loved ones. My impression is that it isn’t just a business to them but rather a labor of love. It shows in their enthusiasm when they talk about Houdini, and it definitely shows in all the attention to the details they put into the game. If their code comes out as polished as the physical game already is, holy mackerel this is going to be something really special.

The game aesthetically exceeded my expectations. The beauty of the art is second to none and there are so many details on the play field, it would take a very long time to see everything. The back glass, yes it’s glass, is equally gorgeous and very nice to have vs a translite. They are also offering side blades as an add-on and they are so well done that I think they are a must have. I don’t see anyone coming up with a better after market version. Thank you for getting these done by the same artist so it fits perfectly with the rest of the artwork.

Next, the amount of elements on the play field, some functional and some aesthetic, is very impressive. They put a lot inside the cabinet without overcrowding it. The toys, the lights, bumpers, stage, mini-theater screen, locks and chains, milk can, catapults (two of them) and of course the chest that the ball get thrown into. I know I’m forgetting some things because there is just so much to see and do, it’s hard to take it all in the first time you see it. I remember commenting to someone that it felt like a JJP game with all the stuff inside but at much more favorable price. You’re getting the fully loaded Cadillac at the Chevy price.

How about game play next? The game can play pretty fast, not TNA fast, but fast enough for me. It definitely keeps you on your toes, if you relax or let your guard down a drain will soon follow. I guess I’d say it was paced so that it requires you to focus but not to the point of being frenetic and causing you to feel drained after playing. Several of the shots were somewhat tight while others were very doable. A nice mixture of challenging and playable at the same time. I have to say, this was my first time playing Houdini and early on it kicked my butt. This went on for quite a few games, don’t ask me how many. I think I averaged two minutes or less per game. Yes, it tells you your game time and score at the end of the game, cool idea, even though I was clocking some really short games. The main ramp was nice and smooth and not a tough shot to make. The outer orbit was also smooth but a little bit tighter shot. The inner orbit is the tight one, not impossible by any means but the tightest of the bunch, but that’s what makes it extra satisfying to hit. Well, that and the fact that it leads to the catapult which throws the ball about two thirds the length of the play field into the chest, yes very satisfying. Oh, and I was there playing and watching for about four hours, I didn’t see the catapult miss once, pretty damn impressive. Next, the three magnets were very cool and used to good effect. The ones I saw used the most were the ones underneath Houdini’s hands which made it look like he was using his magical powers to control the ball, very cool effect, perfect idea for a magician. The middle magnet I didn’t notice being used as much so I can’t comment on it. I could go on and on but I probably already lost most readers with this lengthy post. I will say that I didn’t see the second catapult used the entire day. That’s the one that throws the ball into the wireform/habitrail that returns the ball to the right flipper. Somewhat disappointing to have that feature on the game and to not have it employed seems to be a waste. Rosh did say that maybe it could get utilized more as the code matures. I really hope so because it looks like it would be cool and also because if it never gets used it would make no sense to even have it in the game. I know, it’s still a work in progress.

So, what was my overall impression? I think you can guess, I think it’s awesome. The art, the toys, the shots, the build quality the theme integration, it’s the complete package. Also bear in mind, for me the theme, although cool, is not necessarily a dream theme and I am still blown away by this game. In fact the game is so cool that it has made the theme grow on me far more than I would have expected. I expect this to be an A+ game once the code is complete and Rosh integrates the second catapult/right side habitrail more into the game (not so subtle hint Rosh). I will own this game and depending on the timing of it’s release, it might be my first NIB purchase ever. Ladies and gentlemen, American Pinball is for real!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention, my last game lasted nearly eleven and a half minutes. So I would say that after playing for a while the game felt like it opened up for me and sucked me right in to Harry Houdini’s world. I left with a big smile on my face. That’s why we play pinball my friends.

#1319 6 years ago

Great review, thanks! How did you like the music and call outs?

#1320 6 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Great review, thanks! How did you like the music and call outs?

Good question, sorry I forgot to mention this. The music was spot on and felt perfect for this theme. Think about the type of music that would have been used for a Houdini stage act but updated and mixed with music from an action/suspense film. The music definitely sets the mood nicely. The call outs were also really good. Again, AP did a really good job of choosing the right voice for this theme and the lines/script fit the time frame of Houdini without sounding too dated or cheesy. I really liked the little historical tidbits that were given at various parts of the game, this added depth to the Houdini experience while further immersing you into the theme. Houdini also has a sense of humor, with fast ball drains you get lines like “try using the flippers next time” or “I sense no magic in this one” or simply “really!”. These lines definitely got some laughs throughout the day.

#1321 6 years ago

Belated but sincere thanks to rosh and the AP Team for having us out.

They really do have a lot to be proud of (not just the game, but their facility, being part of a team that communicates well with each other (as well as the larger pinball community) and is all on the same page about the things they discuss with non-team members)). Factor in how quickly they have moved from concept to production and it's pretty mind-blowing.

I'm excited, not just about Houdini, but also the future of AP and whatever #2 is going to be (zero hints from them on that topic by the way).

"Reversed" and "Reversed + Inverted" flippers were a lot of fun (especially for the people watching even the skilled players struggle with them (it's way harder to wrap your brain around than I thought it would be as an observer)).

Overall, the only negative thing I have to say is that the prospect of making the "Milk Can" shot three times in a row strikes me as a sick joke, but I did see two of Saturday's players make it once each. And it's important to have goals (unobtainable as they may be for the mere mortals amongst us).

#1322 6 years ago

Want to thank all of you were able to stop by and play Houdini. It is always great for me to watch people enjoy the game and I learn a lot each time, whether it is spotting issues with animations, rules that should be tweaked, items that maybe should have settings to control, missing call outs, bad call outs, etc. We had one issue with the left lock, that seemed fine after it was adjusted and there is clearly an issue with the bullet catch mode leaving a mess behind that causes issues, which I'll be digging into today (TheKorn got bit by this bug, and he was having some really good games). Always great to get feedback.

Did anyone take videos?

I did have the machine in my office set up to record game play, unfortunately early in the day someone must of bumped the tripod so the footage is not really usable, well other than for me to look at some game play. But now that I have it set up, I'll get some more game play posted, but, given the lighting in my office, it will note be great, but hopefully will make some of you happy.

Quoted from c508:

Overall, the only negative thing I have to say is that the prospect of making the "Milk Can" shot three times in a row strikes me as a sick joke,

You don't have to do it a row per se, but to complete that escape you do need to hit three times within the 40 seconds or so. That is one of the most lucrative modes in the game, since not only does it score nice size points, but it is also increasing the playfield multiplier. Plus for one of the three, you just need to hit the magic stand-up target (in almost all modes, hitting either magic stand-up will advance you one step through the mode/objective). In normal play that shot, followed by a ramp shot, will increase playfield multiplier (and a second quick shot back up the ramp can take it up two steps). When I was first looking at the sketch of the layout, I knew that would be a tricky shot, which is why pretty early on I decided it would be tied to the playfield multiplier. If you want to get the points up, you need to hit the tough shots.

As far as the tight left loop shot. At least two players commented how they could make that shot all day with the backhand, and at he same time, I watched one of them make it forehand three times in a row. As I have always said, it is not as tight as your mind wants you to think it is. Regardless, it is the 'money shot', so can't be too easy.

Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

I will say that I didn’t see the second catapult used the entire day. That’s the one that throws the ball into the wireform/habitrail that returns the ball to the right flipper.

The upper catapult only gets reached in a few scenarios and typically won't be reached if the lock is lit, since in that case the ball goes into the trunk and disappears. It is during a couple of modes (bullet catch and metamorphosis) where it gets used or if you get a 'slow roller' into the upper VUK. Only option would have it not have the ball go down into the subway on a lock, and can't say I like that. I might look at using the upper catapult if a movie mode is going to be started as well as the lock, so bringing it there for the movie intro vs letting it go to the subway.

Again, thanks to all those who came out. I'm pretty sure everyone enjoyed the chance to play and to see 'where the magic happens'.

#1323 6 years ago

First NIB for me .... Getting harder and harder to wait!
Great job team AP

#1324 6 years ago

man i just can't wait to get this!

thanks for the reviews.

#1325 6 years ago

These reveiws are killing me. Frothing at the mouth. Was hoping by Christmas, but would rather wait for perfection. Im in, hopefully by 50 th birthday in April.

#1326 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

These reveiws are killing me. Frothing at the mouth. Was hoping by Christmas, but would rather wait for perfection. Im in, hopefully by 50 th birthday in April.

They still say shipping in 2017... may be december 31 but it will be this year!!!

#1327 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Seeing the team drive and facility setup I am certain your amazing Houdini will Magically appear Long before April and thats no April foolin!

#1328 6 years ago

some new photos for you . . . a couple of dozen more cabinets arrived yesterday, and more playfields going through the line. Still waiting on a couple of parts, but they are building these as far as they can in the meantime.

Have not forgotten about game play video, going to try to see if I can shoot a little bit today while testing some new code. Added an adjustment yesterday to control the level of magnet activity (off, low, med, high) when hitting the magic stand-up targets, as well as an optional ball save. There is no adjustment for magnet control during Seance Multiball, you can't control the spirit world.

IMG_2820 (resized).JPGIMG_2820 (resized).JPG

IMG_2822 (resized).JPGIMG_2822 (resized).JPG

#1329 6 years ago

Looking good.

#1330 6 years ago

Us Norcal folks got to play Houdini at PAGG last May! They only let you shoot 2 balls,but I made the decision to buy this bad boy right then!!That pin was a early prototype,with incomplete code,and still blew everybody away! My Distro thinks delivery here will be around Christmas!! So,Hi,HO everybody! after waiting for GB last year,this will be easy!!

#1331 6 years ago

I'm curious how many Houdinis have been preordered. I know I ordered and I'm not sure how AP they will crank them out, but I hope I'm toward the top of the list. Can't wait. Great job guys Had a blast playing it at Expo.

#1332 6 years ago

I'm in, confirmed this week.

from what i heard, we should have it before x-mas.

#1333 6 years ago

Those Rosh updates make me grab for my wallet every time! Just waiting for my buddy Joe at PinballStar to say the word and cash will disappear Houdini style! Looks like they are almost ready to crack open the champaign! (After they make my game!)

#1335 6 years ago

Way crazy thought but wouldn't it be cool if pinball companies offered a Museum type delivery option similar to when you buy a new Corvette! See your game go down the line, you put in the last screw, and they box it and roll it out to the lobby for it's maiden voyage home.... Just crazy talk as I know they have to test but it would be kind of interesting to have a photo documentary of the birth of your game. lol

#1336 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Way crazy thought but wouldn't it be cool if pinball companies offered a Museum type delivery option similar to when you buy a new Corvette! See your game go down the line, you put in the last screw, and they box it and roll it out to the lobby for it's maiden voyage home.... Just crazy talk as I know they have to test but it would be kind of interesting to have a photo documentary of the birth of your game. lol

That sounds like a nightmare from a manufacturing perspective.

#1337 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Way crazy thought but wouldn't it be cool if pinball companies offered a Museum type delivery option similar to when you buy a new Corvette! See your game go down the line, you put in the last screw, and they box it and roll it out to the lobby for it's maiden voyage home.... Just crazy talk as I know they have to test but it would be kind of interesting to have a photo documentary of the birth of your game.

Be a long day AND night, since games go through an overnight "burn-in" for 15+ hours after they are built.

Plus you do get to put in the last 'screw', it's called a leg bolt.

#1338 6 years ago

Can hardly wait? Any production updates?

#1339 6 years ago

I'm intrested when shipping to Europe will start... I think first games in december will not happen so fast. But i hope the time will help to make it a great experience when its done

#1340 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

That sounds like a nightmare from a manufacturing perspective.

and insurance

#1341 6 years ago

rosh Any idea on when Australia will be getting sample/production games sent to Wayne.

#1342 6 years ago

I wish they would cut out the middle man and direct ship or allow pick up and save me, what? $1000 . Just build and test thoroughly before hand. Just pay 3rd party pinball techs to provide service, or tech support for people with skills to do it themselves.

#1343 6 years ago

Everyone always like to cut out service, support, and Middle men until they Need service, support, and middle men. lol Like convincing Ford or Chevy to get rid of Dealers. That would be fun!

#1344 6 years ago
Quoted from leonml:

I wish they would cut out the middle man and direct ship or allow pick up and save me, what? $1000 . Just build and test thoroughly before hand. Just pay 3rd party pinball techs to provide service, or tech support for people with skills to do it themselves.

You can pick up and save yourself 6999$. Thats called theft.

#1345 6 years ago

Happy Turkey Day to All
Lots of great response!
Deposits are fully refundable until your game goes into production.

Have a Great Day

#1346 6 years ago

All has gone quiet in the Houdini forums....

#1347 6 years ago

hope we will get an update soon

#1348 6 years ago

Who is getting a Houdini for route?

#1349 6 years ago

All has gone quiet in the Houdini forums....

Is this some kind of show biz anticipation trick?

#1350 6 years ago

I'm hoping that this Houdini media blackout means that the production line is rolling and Josh is too busy getting the final software build ready to load on the first machines off the assembly line.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/27?hl=6point5degrees and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.