20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 279 of 297.
#13901 1 year ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I just got a Houdini and it’s acting funny. If I go in the curtain shot is doesn’t find the ball sometimes. I cleared the balls and there were 7. I saw the sticker for 6 so took one out but now it won’t start when I hit start. Anyone have this issue? Do I need to add the 7th again?

I got it to start. I had to shut it off. Seems to be working now. Fun pin!

#13902 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looking at a Houdini. What are best mods? Prob get inside cab art. The logo and planchette mod. Any other light mods needed ?

An external sub.

#13903 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looking at a Houdini. What are best mods? Prob get inside cab art. The logo and planchette mod. Any other light mods needed ?

I think that this is a really nice mod. It looks like a stock addition that should have been included.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1080-the-mod-couple/01864-api-houdini-api-grand-theater-3d-facade-makeover-mod

#13904 1 year ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Are those down firing speakers?

The speakers are mounted in vertical position.
But they are not downfiring. On my picture I think you see just the magnets of the speakers.

#13905 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I think these addon plastics are a nice mod. They are called convolux in germany.
The attached pics don't do them justice. Original they look a lot brighter.

IMG_20220605_130951 (resized).jpgIMG_20220605_130951 (resized).jpgIMG_20220605_130954 (resized).jpgIMG_20220605_130954 (resized).jpgIMG_20220605_131000 (resized).jpgIMG_20220605_131000 (resized).jpgIMG_20220605_131004 (resized).jpgIMG_20220605_131004 (resized).jpgIMG_20220605_131015 (resized).jpgIMG_20220605_131015 (resized).jpg
#13906 1 year ago
Quoted from RedFlash:

I think these addon plastics are a nice mod. They are called convolux in germany.
The attached pics don't do them justice. Original they look a lot brighter.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice. Who sells them?

#13908 1 year ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I just got a Houdini and it’s acting funny. If I go in the curtain shot is doesn’t find the ball sometimes. I cleared the balls and there were 7. I saw the sticker for 6 so took one out but now it won’t start when I hit start. Anyone have this issue? Do I need to add the 7th again?

You where able to take 7 balls out of the game? Or are you counting the captive ball in the stage?
There should be 6 playable balls installed.

As for the stage, test the optos in switch test. Front of Stage, Stage, and Back of Stage

If the ball you shoot into the stage just sits there, you need to calibrate the stage
Houdini - Stage Calibration

#13909 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

You where able to take 7 balls out of the game? Or are you counting the captive ball in the stage?
There should be 6 playable balls installed.
As for the stage, test the optos in switch test. Front of Stage, Stage, and Back of Stage
If the ball you shoot into the stage just sits there, you need to calibrate the stage
Houdini - Stage Calibration

Thanks, there was 7 not including the captive. I took out the extra ball and it’s working great.

Thanks for the video on the calibration! It seems to be working pretty well now but good to know

#13910 1 year ago

removed

#13911 1 year ago

I recently found out that preorders are available for a new Houdini Deluxe production run. I'm thinking of finally throwing down a deposit. Just curious if anyone here is already on the list? If so, when did you put your deposit down, with which distributor, and has any ETA been given? I went through Cointaker for my last NIB pin. I live in Seattle but am moving to California (Bay Area) later this year (aka I'll likely already be in CA by the time it's ready to ship). Unsure if that changes who I should order from. Appreciate any insight! Love this game.

#13912 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

I recently found out that preorders are available for a new Houdini Deluxe production run. I'm thinking of finally throwing down a deposit. Just curious if anyone here is already on the list? If so, when did you put your deposit down, with which distributor, and has any ETA been given? I went through Cointaker for my last NIB pin. I live in Seattle but am moving to California (Bay Area) later this year (aka I'll likely already be in CA by the time it's ready to ship). Unsure if that changes who I should order from. Appreciate any insight! Love this game.

There is a guy out of Fairfield, which would be close, who is excellent that is a rep for American Pinball. Don Highley’s Custom Service. He’ll deliver, set up and stand behind what he sells

#13913 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

There is a guy out of Fairfield, which would be close, who is excellent that is a rep for American Pinball. Don Highley’s Custom Service. He’ll deliver, set up and stand behind what he sells

Great thank you zahner ! A quick google search for his business didn't turn up a website. Any chance you could PM his contact info?

#13914 1 year ago

picking up a houdini next week.How do I know which power supply I have? thx

#13915 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

How do I know which power supply I have?

Installation from AP's website would help - http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2020-8/Overseas-48v-Power-Supply-Supplement.pdf

Also see picture - compare to what is in your game.

LTG : )

a9918352c3a8e042b0c1b53948f3729989eae8a9 (resized).jpga9918352c3a8e042b0c1b53948f3729989eae8a9 (resized).jpg
#13916 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Installation from AP's website would help - http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2020-8/Overseas-48v-Power-Supply-Supplement.pdf
Also see picture - compare to what is in your game.
[quoted image]

I think that’s actually the old power supply with the upgrade addition. Both are in older machines. The new power supply looks I believe like this:

DD7E77B7-3DB6-4ECE-B164-038D4234B21B (resized).jpegDD7E77B7-3DB6-4ECE-B164-038D4234B21B (resized).jpeg
#13917 1 year ago

does anyone sell a lamppost mod yet? Saw a few on here and they look pretty nice.

#13918 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

picking up a houdini next week.How do I know which power supply I have? thx

Houdini Coil Power and EOS Upgrades

#13919 1 year ago

May need to replace 1 houdini leg bolt. Lost in transit who sells them..thx

#13921 1 year ago

Houdini didn't use acorn head leg bolts. It has socket head cap screws.

#13922 1 year ago

Houdini leg bolts...

DSC_6591 (resized).JPGDSC_6591 (resized).JPG
#13924 1 year ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Houdini didn't use acorn head leg bolts. It has socket head cap screws.

Huge thank you !

#13925 1 year ago

Thx. Just need one so I’ll either reach out to American or order a new set from McMaster

#13926 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thx. Just need one so I’ll either reach out to American or order a new set from McMaster

To be honest, I didn't care for those leg bolts that came on my Houdini. They're ugly. I replaced mine with the acorn head style. They look MUCH better in my opinion.

#13927 1 year ago

Love my new Houdini. I’ll go through the thread but I just need to dial in trunk shot. At 27 it hits the front of chest. At 28 it throws it wildly to left. I have all Leg levelers all the way in. Maybe raise the front legs a couple turns? Best way to dial it in?

#13928 1 year ago

Hi. There's a Houdini on location near me. I'm curious about one detail on the machine. It has side by side switches on the left loop, which I've never seen before. One of them is low, likely too low for the ball to activate it. Is there a game function that raises one switch and lowers the other? Or is this switch just broken?

IMG_20220618_160401196 (resized).jpgIMG_20220618_160401196 (resized).jpg
#13929 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Hi. There's a Houdini on location near me. I'm curious about one detail on the machine. It has side by side switches on the left loop, which I've never seen before. One of them is low, likely too low for the ball to activate it. Is there a game function that raises one switch and lowers the other? Or is this switch just broken?[quoted image]

Both of my switches are at the same height.

#13930 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Hi. There's a Houdini on location near me. I'm curious about one detail on the machine. It has side by side switches on the left loop, which I've never seen before. One of them is low, likely too low for the ball to activate it. Is there a game function that raises one switch and lowers the other? Or is this switch just broken?[quoted image]

already explained, lane was too large there, and than with 1 switch only it was not always registering the ball, than they added another one...
to reply your ask, these 2 are there for the same purpose, no difference

#13931 1 year ago

Please assist on a scoop fix? My ball never comes out cleanly and takes sometimes 4 to 5 attempts to make it out back on to the playfield. Power adjustment really isn't the cause. I don't want unnecessary wear in that area so I'd like to get it sorted. Searched the threads for "scoop fix" but all I keep seeing is adjustment to keep it from draining. Please and thank you.
Hope Josh is doing well with whatever he decided to do or where to go in life. American Pinball is an awesome company with awesome people that spend a lot of time on this site and it is appreciated.
r/Mike

#13932 1 year ago

Sorry for all the newbie questions. Looks like AP is out of the $150 Power supply. Any other options? Vendors sell them?

#13933 1 year ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

To be honest, I didn't care for those leg bolts that came on my Houdini. They're ugly. I replaced mine with the acorn head style. They look MUCH better in my opinion.

Same here, I replaced those ugly bolts with brass bolts. Looks awesome.

7F52CCC9-E66B-4789-BF96-C688AA121CE2 (resized).jpeg7F52CCC9-E66B-4789-BF96-C688AA121CE2 (resized).jpeg
#13934 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Sorry for all the newbie questions. Looks like AP is out of the $150 Power supply. Any other options? Vendors sell them?

2 Things.
Can you show us a picture of your bottom cabinet with playfield propped up?
Let's see what you got.
AP is making more Houdini's. I would just call them tomorrow and see what they have in stock.
They have more.

#13935 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

2 Things.
Can you show us a picture of your bottom cabinet with playfield propped up?
Let's see what you got.
AP is making more Houdini's. I would just call them tomorrow and see what they have in stock.
They have more.

Power supply

96964726-67CF-421E-AF18-16371B80A131 (resized).jpeg96964726-67CF-421E-AF18-16371B80A131 (resized).jpeg
#13936 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Power supply[quoted image]

Confirmed. You need it, and the coil upgrade if that's not under playfield.
Also, if you don't have the knocker or shaker motor I highly recommend it.
Josh's code for knocker and shaker are amazing, and integration into game play and modes makes this game go over the top.

#13937 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Confirmed. You need it, and the coil upgrade if that's not under playfield.
Also, if you don't have the knocker or shaker motor I highly recommend it.
Josh's code for knocker and shaker are amazing, and integration into game play and modes makes this game go over the top.

Thx. I have shaker. Need to check on knocker and coil upgrade.

#13939 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Love my new Houdini. I’ll go through the thread but I just need to dial in trunk shot. At 27 it hits the front of chest. At 28 it throws it wildly to left. I have all Leg levelers all the way in. Maybe raise the front legs a couple turns? Best way to dial it in?

Read my many posts on that subject.

Also, the capacitor-coil upgrade increases the reliability of the catapult a lot.

In my opinion, you really need it and the EOS switches.

When, and if, you can get the uprade for the power supply, replace the wal-nuts with lever nuts:

https://www.amazon.com/GKEEMARS-Electrical-Connectors-Conductor-Splicing/dp/B09QKMCJVN/ref=sr_1_19

This is important as it increases ground and power stability a huge amount.
It also lowers resistance and increases current flow in an already anemic system.

The wal-nuts are garbage and not rated for stranded wire at all.

If API doesnt have the power supply, see if Dave (@brenna98) can recommend another suitable MeanWell supply.

I think the API one was 500 watts, but a robust 600-750 watt one might be better.

#13940 1 year ago

Is this normal behavior? Every time I flip a flipper the screen changes on the theater.
It does it while the ball is in play.
please see video:

r/
Mike

#13941 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Is this normal behavior? Every time I flip a flipper the screen changes on the theater.
It does it while the ball is in play.
please see video:
r/
Mike

Yes

#13942 1 year ago

Thank you.

#13943 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

It does it while the ball is in play

heu... may be i've forgotten, but no !

this should only happends when you put the ball in the theatre while having the choice of the mode available...

#13944 1 year ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

heu... may be i've forgotten, but no !
this should only happends when you put the ball in the theatre while having the choice of the mode available...

This is normal behavior and it's intentional so that you can essentially choose what illusion you want to start, if you have control of the ball and you know the next shot is going to open the theatre. You just flip past the one you want by one and then when you flip to hit the theatre it's on the illusion you want when the ball hits it and opens it. Then it stays static on that illusion until you start it unless you get Magician's Choice from the magic shop before then.

#13945 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is normal behavior and it's intentional so that you can essentially choose what illusion you want to start, if you have control of the ball and you know the next shot is going to open the theatre. You just flip past the one you want by one and then when you flip to hit the theatre it's on the illusion you want when the ball hits it and opens it. Then it stays static on that illusion until you start it unless you get Magician's Choice from the magic shop before then.

How do illusions work. Sometimes when I enter the stage the illusion is set for you and other times you can choose? Can I control which illusion will be set when I enter the stage?

#13946 1 year ago

What ever illusion is on the screen when the stage OPENs, is what you get. If you have earned “magicians choice” via skill or mystery, the stage screen will remain static with that image.

As said above, by careful flipping you can get the illusion you want, just need to remember it will move when you flip so you need to be one off, in the right direction of what you want . If the status screen is displayed when you open, you will also get magicians choice.

#13947 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

What ever illusion is on the screen when the stage OPENs, is what you get. If you have earned “magicians choice” via skill or mystery, the stage screen will remain static with that image.
As said above, by careful flipping you can get the illusion you want, just need to remember it will move when you flip so you need to be one off, in the right direction of what you want . If the status screen is displayed when you open, you will also get magicians choice.

thx. Only other question. Last night we got straight jacket several times and it asked you to flip to choose backwards, or backwards reverse flip etc and no matter how many times we flipped the choice option never changed. I think it eventually timed out and gave us backwards and reverse flip because we could never change it.

#13948 1 year ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Lots of plays on the game? Pivot of the catapult arm could be worn a bit. Operate everything by hand under the playfield and see if there is play in the catapult. Also do what Diablo suggested and check for loose bracket.
My game initially threw right, lowering coil strength fixed this. You said you game was working fine for a year, so I expect your coil setting to be good.

Fixed! After a call to American Pinball Dave suggested I check my level. While I did take the time to re-level recently, It was off ever so slightly. I keep my machine on furniture sliders to protect the carpet from permanent dents, and I guess it settled to one side. Not really noticeable on a bubble level but off enough when using a digital app on my phone. The thing is I was amazed at how much it effects the shot. It was hitting the side wall before and now it is dead center.

#13949 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

thx. Only other question. Last night we got straight jacket several times and it asked you to flip to choose backwards, or backwards reverse flip etc and no matter how many times we flipped the choice option never changed. I think it eventually timed out and gave us backwards and reverse flip because we could never change it.

You need to hold the flipper in for a half second or so, wanted to avoid a stray flip from pre-maturely choosing

#13950 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Please assist on a scoop fix? My ball never comes out cleanly and takes sometimes 4 to 5 attempts to make it out back on to the playfield. Power adjustment really isn't the cause. I don't want unnecessary wear in that area so I'd like to get it sorted. Searched the threads for "scoop fix" but all I keep seeing is adjustment to keep it from draining. Please and thank you.
Hope Josh is doing well with whatever he decided to do or where to go in life. American Pinball is an awesome company with awesome people that spend a lot of time on this site and it is appreciated.
r/Mike

I took mine out, put it in a vise and tapped it with a rubber mallet. The radius was to tight for me and the coil setting to get it up and out, shot it right between the flippers every time. I forget now what the shipped radius is, but you can use a scrap piece of PVC the next size up as a guide.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 279 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/279 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.