20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 275 of 297.
#13701 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply , seems like when ball enters stage , mode start or not, assuming mode stage is activated when red main stage insert is lit, the ball is not detected and after a few goes into find ball mode and the ball is released. Calibration came back at -19. I did try it several times in a row just now and out of 5 , 3 where -17 to -19 and 2 times it didn’t seem like it went through calibration and came up 64. I swapped the wire location of where the curtain and captive ball servos connect to the node board and captive ball still worked under curtain test but curtain still did not work under captive ball test. . All tests of captive ball connected correctly seem fine.
Thanks for any help

Quoted from rosh:

sounds like multiple issues. So it detects the ball in the stage, starts the mode, but does not release it, but then ball search does release it? If it does release it, then the second servo is working, so not sure why it would not drop it as it should at mode start, as that has nothing to do with the curtain.
If a ball goes into the stage when it is not lit for a mode what happens? Does it drop it right away or does that also require a ball search?
When you calibrate the stage, what value does it spit back?

#13702 2 years ago
Quoted from Moelabby:

Thanks for the reply , seems like when ball enters stage , mode start or not, assuming mode stage is activated when red main stage insert is lit, the ball is not detected and after a few goes into find ball mode and the ball is released. Calibration came back at -19. I did try it several times in a row just now and out of 5 , 3 where -17 to -19 and 2 times it didn’t seem like it went through calibration and came up 64. I swapped the wire location of where the curtain and captive ball servos connect to the node board and captive ball still worked under curtain test but curtain still did not work under captive ball test. . All tests of captive ball connected correctly seem fine.
Thanks for any help

I assume you are on latest code.

Have a usb with no code on it handy. Start a game, when you shoot the stage and a mode starts and if the ball is stuck and it takes a ball search, as soon as the ball search happens, open the coin door and pull the logs and send to me [email protected]

The curtain does sound like a bad servo issue, and probably needs to be replaced. You should open a ticket so Dave can help you confirm that, and help you can get a replacement that is properly calibrated.

#13703 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I assume you are on latest code.
Have a usb with no code on it handy. Start a game, when you shoot the stage and a mode starts and if the ball is stuck and it takes a ball search, as soon as the ball search happens, open the coin door and pull the logs and send to me [email protected]
The curtain does sound like a bad servo issue, and probably needs to be replaced. You should open a ticket so Dave can help you confirm that, and help you can get a replacement that is properly calibrated.

Sounds good , thank you for the help

#13704 2 years ago

After 4 years I will probably not make these again. Get planchette while you can.

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “Houdini Planchette Custom Playfield Upgrade Mod. Easy to install, simple overlay design Mod. Double sided tape, peel and apply. Thick plastic piece with rich 3D detail, custom engr...”
2022-05-14
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 55 days
Viewed: 604 times
Contributed to Pinside

#13705 2 years ago
Quoted from Moelabby:

Sounds good , thank you for the help

Ever sort out your issue?

#13706 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Ever sort out your issue?

Still working on it with josh , I will say the customer service with American pinball and josh is second to none. Very impressed .

#13707 2 years ago

I hate to even post this... I was doing a little maintenance, adjustments, etc. Changed some of the settings, like front stage eject. Played a game, got multiball, things seemed fine. Turned machine off to adjust pop and low and behold game won't start because I'm missing a ball.

Looked up and down and all around. It's not in the subway. Thoughts? It's got to be in there somewhere.

Update... Nevermind. Found it. Lol

16466071605093067360695709319957 (resized).jpg16466071605093067360695709319957 (resized).jpg
#13708 2 years ago

Just joined. Had years old code and just updated to the most recent code. Really liking the game so far.

#13709 2 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

I hate to even post this... I was doing a little maintenance, adjustments, etc. Changed some of the settings, like front stage eject. Played a game, got multiball, things seemed fine. Turned machine off to adjust pop and low and behold game won't start because I'm missing a ball.
Looked up and down and all around. It's not in the subway. Thoughts? It's got to be in there somewhere.
Update... Nevermind. Found it. Lol
[quoted image]

That’s new

#13710 2 years ago

Ok, a few games later I got another ball stuck in the same place. Very strange.

#13711 2 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Ok, a few games later I got another ball stuck in the same place. Very strange.

I'd replace the sling rubber and see if that resolves it.

#13712 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'd replace the sling rubber and see if that resolves it.

It looks like the rubber is too thin or the wrong size and stretched thin.

Put a nice thick Titan rubber there in purple.

#13713 2 years ago

Anyone have intermittent sound issues where the voice and music cut in and out during game play? Just started tonight and not sure where to check for the issue.

#13714 2 years ago
Quoted from livetowin:

Anyone have intermittent sound issues where the voice and music cut in and out during game play? Just started tonight and not sure where to check for the issue.

I'd check the sound jack on the computer in the backbox. Sounds like a loose connection.

#13715 2 years ago

Seems fine. Noticed also the back box lighting and play field screen will flicker very slightly at times as well as the sound cutting out. I’m pretty sure it’s the updated power supply.

968BFE57-F464-4CE5-A726-E9BB0407D3CA (resized).jpeg968BFE57-F464-4CE5-A726-E9BB0407D3CA (resized).jpeg
#13716 2 years ago

Got the rectifier section of the power supply ordered. Thanks to Dave at AP for the quick call back and help.

#13717 2 years ago

oh dear

houdini (resized).JPGhoudini (resized).JPG

#13718 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

oh dear
[quoted image]

Hm? I'm not understanding the issue. You don't like the red lamps?

#13719 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

He’s probably referring to the targets that appear to be loose or bent.

#13720 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The poor chap has bent his target, one positive is he has a wider alley to shoot….ha…

#13721 2 years ago
Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

The poor chap has bent his target, one positive is he has a wider alley to shoot….ha…

you got it and i'm sure this was done on purpose :/

(i see this pin for sale in my area)

#13722 2 years ago
Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

That’s a VERY good idea as a matter of fact! I’ve done the same by repositioning them

#13723 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s a VERY good idea as a matter of fact! I’ve done the same by repositioning them

That seems like they are REALLY bent out to the extreme. I probably have as much trouble hitting the right orbit as I do the inner loop so I'd never do this.

#13724 2 years ago

So instead of a tough catapult shot, it is a tough spinner shot.

#13725 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

oh dear
[quoted image]

Seems like a lazy way to make a simple correction on the standups.

#13726 2 years ago

well, i'm a bit stunned to see some liking that idea !? but OK, finally everybody as he wants

it was from factory on mine, and that catapult shot is hard at first, i admit, but he quickly became makable when you have the pin home

#13727 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

well, i'm a bit stunned to see some liking that idea !? but OK, finally everybody as he wants
it was from factory on mine, and that catapult shot is hard at first, i admit, but he quickly became makable when you have the pin home

Yeah, I can backhand the inner loop pretty consistently and sometimes even pull off an on-the-fly backhand to it on a ball headed toward the right flipper. The ramp and milkcan are definitely the two that are the hardest for me to hit consistently.

#13728 2 years ago

Backhand was unobtainable when I first brought the machine home. But now I can do it on occasion. It has to be such a close shot that mine will barely make it to lock. I also notice that I can perform a backhand when the machine is cold, but after about 10 minutes of playtime, it becomes impossible.

#13729 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yeah, I can backhand the inner loop pretty consistently and sometimes even pull off an on-the-fly backhand to it on a ball headed toward the right flipper. The ramp and milkcan are definitely the two that are the hardest for me to hit consistently.

Lowering the angle of the flippers 1/8" (making them droop slightly) makes the milkcan loop much easier and repeatable.

It also makes the ramp shot easier.

#13730 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Lowering the angle of the flippers 1/8" (making them droop slightly) makes the milkcan loop much easier and repeatable.
It also makes the ramp shot easier.

I know, but I'm a glutton for punishment which is why Houdini is the game I play the most.

#13731 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Backhand was unobtainable when I first brought the machine home. But now I can do it on occasion. It has to be such a close shot that mine will barely make it to lock. I also notice that I can perform a backhand when the machine is cold, but after about 10 minutes of playtime, it becomes impossible.

If thats the case...try turning the flipper power up 1 point...that should help.

#13732 2 years ago

While I have had this machine for about 9 months, I am just now at a place where I have some time to put into it.
There are a few things I have planned to do right away...Fix the scoop- it currently sends the ball right between the flippers, very frustrating.
Widen the inner loop. Trunk multi-balls almost never happen. Now for some questions...
My Machine is at a 14degree angle, is that to steep? All my settings are factory. What are some changes to make the game more fun for my
guests? The highest score anyone has obtained has been 600K. Generally 300K is a good game for a guest. Any suggestions?
Finally, and this is embarrassing being I have had it for months...What exactly happens when the "magic shop is open" and what opens it?
All my guests ask what does that mean? lol
Thanks in advance for any and all help!

#13733 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

My Machine is at a 14degree angle, is that to steep?

WAY too steep. In fact, I'd check your inclinometer because it might be messed up. Houdini wants to be at a 6 degree slope by default. Most modern pinball machines want a slope of 6-7 degrees. 14 would be unplayable.

#13734 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

While I have had this machine for about 9 months, I am just now at a place where I have some time to put into it.
There are a few things I have planned to do right away...Fix the scoop- it currently sends the ball right between the flippers, very frustrating.
Widen the inner loop. Trunk multi-balls almost never happen. Now for some questions...
My Machine is at a 14degree angle, is that to steep? All my settings are factory. What are some changes to make the game more fun for my
guests? The highest score anyone has obtained has been 600K. Generally 300K is a good game for a guest. Any suggestions?
Finally, and this is embarrassing being I have had it for months...What exactly happens when the "magic shop is open" and what opens it?

The magic shop is opened by hitting the spinner and it takes more spinner shots to open it each time. You enter the magic shop at the same gobble hole that starts Escape modes, it's just below the stage door. The magic shop provides random awards and some funny digs at other Pinball machines.

Try adjusting the coil setting for the scoop eject after you figure out the angle of the game.

#13735 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

I don't think I've ever seen a game at 14 deg slope. I'd be worried about it tipping over on me. Seriously, I'd confirm your slope and make game adjustments accordingly.

#13736 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

WAY too steep. In fact, I'd check your inclinometer because it might be messed up. Houdini wants to be at a 6 degree slope by default. Most modern pinball machines want a slope of 6-7 degrees. 14 would be unplayable.

Yeah, way too steep. This will lead to things not working correctly on the game. The scoop is less likely to work, more difficult to make the ramp shot, I think have catapult problems because of this, and just a whole host of stuff. I think the game should be set at the factory suggested 6°. Certainly no more than seven, which I think is too much. I think this would account for your low scores too. That’s my two cents. Set it at about 6 to 7° and go from there.

#13737 2 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I don't think I've ever seen a game at 14 deg slope. I'd be worried about it tipping over on me. Seriously, I'd confirm your slope and make game adjustments accordingly.

Sorry...my stupid mistake..I laid the clinometer app on the glass and not the playfield. thinking they were parallel. It was 6 degrees all along.

#13738 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The magic shop is opened by hitting the spinner and it takes more spinner shots to open it each time. You enter the magic shop at the same gobble hole that starts Escape modes, it's just below the stage door. The magic shop provides random awards and some funny digs at other Pinball machines.
Try adjusting the coil setting for the scoop eject after you figure out the angle of the game.

Thanks...cool ...now I have something else to aim for.

#13739 2 years ago

leg levels screwed all the way will get you to the proper degree, then adjust back out as needed to level left/right.

Scoop down the middle is certainly a bit odd and pretty uncommon issue on Houdini, check left/right level, then adjust power down to the lowest level where the the ball is able to kick out. Try that or one up from there. To adjust levels, go into service->settings->coil, pull out he interlock switch, put the ball in the scoop and it will fire out, adjust and try again.

500K in a good score on Houdini, breaking a million is a really good score, 3 million is great score for an enthusiast, 15+ million is a mutant score.

#13740 2 years ago

The more you play Houdini the easier the the catapult shot will get. However, I usually backhand that shot with the right flipper. Way easier to hit consistently with right flipper backhand. I usually get trunk multi all at least once if not twice in a game. If you find you can’t backhand the catapult shot with the right flipper, try adjusting your right flipper power. Mine was set pretty high originally and now it’s about 19-20 I think and it’s a lot easier to hit consistently.

#13741 2 years ago

Was always a huge TOM fan back in my childhood and seeing Houdini gives me that same feeling. Never played, how doe sit compare to TOM?

#13742 2 years ago
Quoted from precisionk:

Was always a huge TOM fan back in my childhood and seeing Houdini gives me that same feeling. Never played, how doe sit compare to TOM?

Shots are generally much tighter and more difficult but also more satisfying when you do hit them. Code is about 600x deeper than TOM. Music, callouts, etc. are in the eye of the beholder, I'm not a huge TOM fan so I'm probably not a good one to comment on those parts.

#13743 2 years ago
Quoted from precisionk:

TOM has more flow - at first - but as you start to learn the Houdini shots you can get quite a game going. The ramp is frustrating for folks who are used to the fan layout, as it requires a hit earlier on the flipper than most ramps. The inner loop seems really tight but it’s mostly an optical illusion, seriously.

SO much to this game. Takes the goofy 90s magic of TOM and classes it up. There’s no trunk bash toy but the stage is quite similar, and the game one-ups TOM in terms of the magic ball thing, balls appearing/disappearing. All the modes are really fun and well thought out. TOM might be a tad prettier to look at, but Houdini is definitely way way deeper. And it actually has a final wizard mode which feels “complete”. I dunno, TOM is very cool but my collection maxes at 6 games and I have to be super picky.

#13744 2 years ago
Quoted from precisionk:

I just played TOM again on location last week and I do prefer Houdini for long term last-ability in a collection. With that being said I am selling my Houdini because I want Godzilla and Houdini has the most value out of all my pins, for magic pins it is the best in my opinion.

#13745 2 years ago
Quoted from precisionk:

Speaking as an actual magician, I have a strong preference for Houdini over TOM. Way deeper code and more reverence for the art of magic (TOM and Pinball Magic are a little more cartoony). You can really tell that Kugler put in the time to learn about Houdini and that era of magic—instead of the campy stereotypes of the 90s magic pins.

#13746 2 years ago
Quoted from scottgreenmagic:

Speaking as an actual magician, I have a strong preference for Houdini over TOM. Way deeper code and more reverence for the art of magic (TOM and Pinball Magic are a little more cartoony). You can really tell that Kugler put in the time to learn about Houdini and that era of magic—instead of the campy stereotypes of the 90s magic pins.

Can’t think of a better testimonial!

I remember talking to Josh at the Allentown PA show, he said him and Balcer watched ALL the Houdini movies front to back. The word “excruciating” was used frequently

#13747 2 years ago

No matter how slow my ramp shot, the ball mostly bumps past the pop bumper hole. Is this normal? It might have fallen in the hole maybe 2 times since I've owned it.

#13748 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

No matter how slow my ramp shot, the ball mostly bumps past the pop bumper hole. Is this normal? It might have fallen in the hole maybe 2 times since I've owned it.

Same here. game is leveled to spec and it’s fallen in once in maybe 200 games I’ve played

#13749 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Yep, it doesn’t go there too often. 2 times seems low, but generally even a fairly slow ball will complete the ramp. What is your left flipper coil setting?

#13750 2 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

The more you play Houdini the easier the the catapult shot will get. However, I usually backhand that shot with the right flipper. Way easier to hit consistently with right flipper backhand. I usually get trunk multi all at least once if not twice in a game. If you find you can’t backhand the catapult shot with the right flipper, try adjusting your right flipper power. Mine was set pretty high originally and now it’s about 19-20 I think and it’s a lot easier to hit consistently.

Will try this...yes I have seen posts of people hitting it with the backhand but that has always been impossible on my machine. Will adjust the flipper power and see how that does... Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 275 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/275 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.