20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 269 of 297.
#13401 2 years ago

I had my playfield apart to work on the stage and I had removed the rear catapult guide and right ramp to make things easier. I have this piece that I cant find a home for. I believe it goes at the top of the playfield center left but cant seem to figure it out. I was going to put it together right away but it took 7 weeks to get back home and work on it. Any help would be appreciated.

20211114_212823 (resized).jpg20211114_212823 (resized).jpg
#13402 2 years ago

Can you reload the download ? Maybe it's corrupted.

LTG : )

#13403 2 years ago
Quoted from Bankshot:

I had my playfield apart to work on the stage and I had removed the rear catapult guide and right ramp to make things easier. I have this piece that I cant find a home for. I believe it goes at the top of the playfield center left but cant seem to figure it out. I was going to put it together right away but it took 7 weeks to get back home and work on it. Any help would be appreciated.
[quoted image]

I looked all over and cannot see that guide. It may be under a plastic. Hope someone else knows.

#13404 2 years ago
Quoted from Bankshot:

[quoted image]

Tada!

Left side of the stage is just to the right of this. I was working on mine at the time I snapped this photo. If assembled, the wireform would be there too (the one that sends the ball to the catapult).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#13405 2 years ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

Houdini left flipper staying up and now ejecting balls non stop - never had this issue prior to new code download - any ideas???

what do you mean the flipper is staying up? Does it go up when the game is turned on? Or does it stay up when flipped? When it is up, what happens if you power down?

Do ball start kicking out at start up or when you start a game?

You can see me the logs and I can see if they shed light on what is going on.

#13406 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Tada!
Left side of the stage is just to the right of this. I was working on mine at the time I snapped this photo. If assembled, the wireform would be there too (the one that sends the ball to the catapult .
[quoted image]

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it!!!

#13407 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

what do you mean the flipper is staying up? Does it go up when the game is turned on? Or does it stay up when flipped? When it is up, what happens if you power down?
Do ball start kicking out at start up or when you start a game?
You can see me the logs and I can see if they shed light on what is going on.

Basically when you start a game the balls keep feeding into the trough and when your flip up it stays up for a couple of seconds and then drops down

#13408 2 years ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

Basically when you start a game the balls keep feeding into the trough and when your flip up it stays up for a couple of seconds and then drops down

You can always try to re-install the update to see if the corrects things, but that flipper things sounds more mechanical than software. Either the flipper switch or a spring or a mis-aligned plunger.

The balls coming out, seems like an issue with the trough switches (missing 12v). Remove the balls from the trough, go into test->switch and put the balls back in and see if they register correctly. If not, check the connectors to the trough.

#13409 2 years ago

Ok, can't seem to find this... Got the shaker kit. Where does it plug in? Related, got the knocker, but no knocks happen.

I can't seem to find install instructions anywhere, and didn't get them in the box.

#13410 2 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Got the shaker kit. Where does it plug in? Related, got the knocker, but no knocks happen.
I can't seem to find install instructions anywhere, and didn't get them in the box.

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2019-9/Knocker-Installation.pdf

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-6/Shaker.pdf

#13411 2 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Ok, can't seem to find this... Got the shaker kit. Where does it plug in? Related, got the knocker, but no knocks happen.

Make sure there are 2 fuses in the little accessories board on the side of the cabinet..
Mine came with no fuses and I had to order them.

#13412 2 years ago

I finally got around to installing the current update of the API website.

The installation went perfectly this time, no redoing it a couple times, no drama.

No changes needed on any of the settings!

Trunk catapult works 100% in seance and the elephant mode. Scoop ejects work 100%, no extra balls or wierd lockups or sound issues so far.

The game seems to have more stable power. This is better even than after installing the cap kit.

The game seems smoother and quicker with sprightly power.

Its a blast to play!

Nice job on the update

#13413 2 years ago

Thanks for the updates, just what I needed... Now just need some fuses!

#13414 2 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Thanks for the updates, just what I needed... Now just need some fuses!

I think they were 5 x 20 4 amp slow blow

No one had them here in Reno, So I ordered a bunch from a bulk guy on Amazon, as well as some other sizes for other games.

#13415 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think they were 5 x 20 4 amp slow blow
No one had them here in Reno, So I ordered a bunch from a bulk guy on Amazon, as well as some other sizes for other games.

Did you check Ace Hardware? They seem to have more odd sized fuses than anyone else in my area.

#13416 2 years ago

So …. Question….

If I buy a NIB Houdini I need to buy an additional power pack for the flippers?

#13417 2 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

So …. Question….

Everything should be included on the current builds.

No upgrades needed.

#13418 2 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

So …. Question….

Yes, rosh said that new production units have all the power updates built in. The "flipper performance" module and is actually a large energy storage capacitor that mounts very close to the flippers. It's a small board mounted to the underside of the playfield, with a two-wire connector IN, and another two-wire connector OUT. Flippers need lots of energy for the first few milliseconds, and the capacitor makes that stored energy available very close to the coils, eliminating 4-5 feet of wire between the coil and the power supply. (The longer wiring to the power supply as originally shipped by API acts like a resistor at high current used by flipper coild which causes a non-trivial loss in the energy needed by the flipper coils).

Yes, new units have the power updates built in at the factory.

#13419 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Did you check Ace Hardware? They seem to have more odd sized fuses than anyone else in my area.

The pandemic closed my local ace hadware, and the hybrid Ace Harwares dont have the same stock.

Its a mail order world in Reno, always has been I guess.

Wild west, shootouts etc...

#13420 2 years ago

The pandemic closed my local ace hadware, and the hybrid Ace Harwares dont have the same stock.
Its a mail order world in Reno, always has been I guess.
Wild west, shootouts etc...

I miss Reno, haven't been there in a LONG time but used to go 4-6 times a year for work, quick drive up to the ski resorts when open too.

#13421 2 years ago

I think its time for an API black friday sale announcement!

I need more magic glass!

#13422 2 years ago

I finally confirmed it with it happening a third time. I got the seven letters to spell HOUDINI. The master magician mode starts, and of course I can’t successfully complete it, and I get timed out. Before the latest code you would just continue on if you had more balls up your sleeve. Now, after the latest code update the game finishes at the conclusion of master magician mode, regardless if you have more balls to play or not.
Not much of an incentive to collect the seven letters.
Wondering if this has happened to others?
Or has it been changed in the latest code update to conclude the game at the unsuccessful master magician mode?

#13423 2 years ago
Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

I finally confirmed it with it happening a third time. I got the seven letters to spell HOUDINI. The master magician mode starts, and of course I can’t successfully complete it, and I get timed out. Before the latest code you would just continue on if you had more balls up your sleeve. Now, after the latest code update the game finishes at the conclusion of master magician mode, regardless if you have more balls to play or not.
Not much of an incentive to collect the seven letters.
Wondering if this has happened to others?
Or has it been changed in the latest code update to conclude the game at the unsuccessful master magician mode?

There is a setting to allow the game to continue after the master magician mode.

#13424 2 years ago

There is a setting to allow the game to continue after the master magician mode.

Ahhh, many thanks.

#13425 2 years ago

I’ve fallen behind - what’s the latest code? Is the beta still being tested ?

#13426 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’ve fallen behind - what’s the latest code? Is the beta still being tested ?

New finished code on the API website,

Its really nice.

#13427 2 years ago

Considering the purchase of a new Houdini … looks to be around 7.5k NIB.
Seems prices have continued to increase but I also see this pin selling for much less on the used market.

My question … I’m not in this hobby to make money - I enjoy playing my games. What do you all think? Are you still totally in love with your pin or do you wish something newer was in your collection in place of your Houdini? Will this game get old in a 5 to 6 pin lineup?

#13428 2 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Considering the purchase of a new Houdini … looks to be around 7.5k NIB.
Seems prices have continued to increase but I also see this pin selling for much less on the used market.
My question … I’m not in this hobby to make money - I enjoy playing my games. What do you all think? Are you still totally in love with your pin or do you wish something newer was in your collection in place of your Houdini? Will this game get old in a 5 to 6 pin lineup?

I think all pins eventually get old or at least take a back seat. I loved my twilight zone and had it for a long long time. Then I wanted something else. For me and my lineup, Houdini remains a constant go to game. It’s such a deep game, as was TZ, that it continues to bring me back for more. I love the game and see it lasting a long time

#13429 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I think all pins eventually get old or at least take a back seat. I loved my twilight zone and had it for a long long time. Then I wanted something else. For me and my lineup, Houdini remains a constant go to game. It’s such a deep game, as was TZ, that it continues to bring me back for more. I love the game and see it lasting a long time

Fully agree, love this game.

#13430 2 years ago

Do coil settings get reset after the software update? Or are they saved?

#13431 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Mine stayed the same

#13432 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Mine stayed the same

Mine did too.

It was a pretty easy update for me.

#13433 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

No settings get changed during updates, unless noted in release notes.

Even when using “reset defaults”, coil and pricing settings are not touched.

#13434 2 years ago

Anyone know what type of LEDs are used for the cool white GI. (1smd, 2smd, other?) I noticed one of my slingshot LED is a warm white and I want to match the other 3.

Also, I have some Brightbuttons to install, but I noticed the coin return 12vLED that Britemods use for the connection is a warm white bulb. Houdini coin return use cool white, which look odd when you have both next to each other. I searched for a 12v warm white or a cool white 12v matrix connector but I can't find a good solution. Any ideas?

#13435 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Yes, rosh said that new production units have all the power updates built in. The "flipper performance" module and is actually a large energy storage capacitor that mounts very close to the flippers. It's a small board mounted to the underside of the playfield, with a two-wire connector IN, and another two-wire connector OUT. Flippers need lots of energy for the first few milliseconds, and the capacitor makes that stored energy available very close to the coils, eliminating 4-5 feet of wire between the coil and the power supply. (The longer wiring to the power supply as originally shipped by API acts like a resistor at high current used by flipper coild which causes a non-trivial loss in the energy needed by the flipper coils).
Yes, new units have the power updates built in at the factory.

When did they start adding this? Within the last year or more recent?

#13436 2 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

When did they start adding this? Within the last year or more recent?

If you have an older game like mine, its a huge improvement.

get this:

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2020-8/Houdini--Coil-Performance-Improvement-Kit.pdf

#13437 2 years ago

Joining the club !!!
Going to be getting a NIB Houdini soon !!!
Can’t wait !!!!!!

#13438 2 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Joining the club !!!
Going to be getting a NIB Houdini soon !!!
Can’t wait !!!!!!

Yay!

#13439 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Anyone know what type of LEDs are used for the cool white GI. (1smd, 2smd, other?) I noticed one of my slingshot LED is a warm white and I want to match the other 3.
Also, I have some Brightbuttons to install, but I noticed the coin return 12vLED that Britemods use for the connection is a warm white bulb. Houdini coin return use cool white, which look odd when you have both next to each other. I searched for a 12v warm white or a cool white 12v matrix connector but I can't find a good solution. Any ideas?

Same problem with the CGC games.

#13440 2 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Huh, my Houdini has incandescent bulbs in the coin return inserts, came that way from the factory. I always thought that was a little odd but never pay much attention to it.

#13441 2 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Quoted from bobukcat:

Huh, my Houdini has incandescent bulbs in the coin return inserts, came that way from the factory. I always thought that was a little odd but never pay much attention to it.

Now they come with these, they are cool white. It would be nice if BriteMod kit came with a replacement LED (same as the connector) so it could at least match when your having that kind of issue.

P1050863 (resized).JPGP1050863 (resized).JPG
#13442 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Houdini's GI are socket style 12V LEDs, they are not smd.

Coin doors originally had 12V bulbs and was later switched to 12V LEDs

The key take away: 12V

#13443 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Houdini's GI are socket style 12V LEDs, they are not smd.

Mmm, I just removed one of the GI bulb from the return lane and it says 6.3v..?

I just need to find where to order the 12v led for the coin door in warm white now...

P1050868 (resized).JPGP1050868 (resized).JPG
#13444 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

I just need to find where to order the 12v led for the coin door in warm white now...

https://www.cometpinball.com/search?q=12+volt

LTG : )

#13445 2 years ago

just incase you missed my post in the black Friday thread.

BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).pngBLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
#13446 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

[quoted image]

Im in!

#13447 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Mmm, I just removed one of the GI bulb from the return lane and it says 6.3v..?
I just need to find where to order the 12v led for the coin door in warm white now...[quoted image]

Interesting, that's a Cointaker LED and probably this kind: https://cointaker.com/products/44-47-2led but as rosh said all the GI in Houdini is 12VDC (there's no 6.3AC supply in Houdini, only 12VDC, 5VDC and 48VDC). So I'm now very curious what bulbs those actually are, I wouldn't expect a 6.3VAC bulb to last more than a few seconds in a 12VDC circuit but Cointaker (and Comet) list very few 12VDC LEDs at all. Put a DMM on the socket and see what the actual voltage is, the wiring diagrams in the Houdini manual are not very detailed.

#13448 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

[quoted image]

So no 20% off a new LOV?? Dammit!!

#13449 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

[quoted image]

Thanks Dave. Hadn't seen this.

#13450 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Thanks Dave. Hadn't seen this.

You buying toppers now? Great Black Friday deals!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 269 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/269?hl=chewiec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.