20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 265 of 297.
#13201 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Can you send me some pics of your scoop and coil settings? [email protected]

Thanks to Dave at AP for solving my scoop problem. He had me bend the scoop to fit around a 3" diameter tube. The ball comes out first time with single or multiple balls.

Continued outstanding service from American Pinball.

#13202 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Thanks to Dave at AP for solving my scoop problem. He had me bend the scoop to fit around a 3" diameter tube. The ball comes out first time with single or multiple balls.

NICE!!! Way to go Dave and AP. And Mike

#13203 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Curious as to how you did it? Take it off the pin and then????

#13204 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Curious as to how you did it? Take it off the pin and then????

You do not want to bent the scoop in the pin. I removed the metal scoop hood and set it on the flat part of my vise with the curve facing up. I hit the center of the curve with a plastic mallet till it was the correct shape. It took a few good taps. You do not want to hit it too forcefully.

I actually matched the curve with a plastic cup that is 3" in diameter at the top.

Dave sent a short email video of the fix.

#13205 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

You do not want to bent the scoop in the pin. I removed the metal scoop hood and set it on the flat part of my vise with the curve facing up. I hit the center of the curve with a plastic mallet till it was the correct shape. It took a few good taps. You do not want to hit it too forcefully.
I actually matched the curve with a plastic cup that is 3" in diameter at the top.
Dave sent a short email video of the fix.

Violent, but sensible. I never liked the idea of bending it in place. Seemed like a good way to rip it out. Easy to replace a scoop, but a big setback if you damage the PF. Thanks for the info.

#13206 2 years ago

Just picked up my first AP pin!

6B568864-D8F7-4996-853D-0C3E654CCFDF.jpeg6B568864-D8F7-4996-853D-0C3E654CCFDF.jpegCC3C83CA-1063-4AA5-84C4-B92F5406781E.jpegCC3C83CA-1063-4AA5-84C4-B92F5406781E.jpeg
#13207 2 years ago

Somethimes i forget how beautiful this game is ! Great shot and have a good flip

#13208 2 years ago

Finally joined the club, just finished up setting my NIB. This game is really impressive & fun.

My only complains would be that there was some minor damages due to (transport?/manufacturing?). One chip in the coin door powder coat, one rip scratch on the apron decal, one deep scratches spot in the plastic ramp, and a scrath in the powder coat on the lockbar....... Annoying to see this on a NIB...

Now on the game side. I got an issue with the seance scoop, the ball don't eject on the first time, sometimes it take 2 or 3 shots before it get out. It's like it's missing a tiny bit of power, the ball get up on the corner of the PF and then fall down.

Also, is that normal for the start button to never be lit? I changed the setting to FreePlay and noticed it never lit up. When I use the start button test, I see it flash for half a sec and then nothing.

#13209 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Finally joined the club, just finished up setting my NIB. This game is really impressive & fun.
My only complains would be that there was some minor damages due to (transport?/manufacturing?). One chip in the coin door powder coat, one rip scratch on the apron decal, one deep scratches spot in the plastic ramp, and a scrath in the powder coat on the lockbar....... Annoying to see this on a NIB...
Now on the game side. I got an issue with the seance scoop, the ball don't eject on the first time, sometimes it take 2 or 3 shots before it get out. It's like it's missing a tiny bit of power, the ball get up on the corner of the PF and then fall down.
Also, is that normal for the start button to never be lit? I changed the setting to FreePlay and noticed it never lit up. When I use the start button test, I see it flash for half a sec and then nothing.

Does it have all the upgrades to help with power management? What is the build date? If it was NOS sitting in a box in a warehouse, you may have to do some upgrades on it to get the coil performance acceptable.

#13210 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

You need to reach out AP. I bet they make it good. You could have purchased a used one with none of that cheaper. The scoop adjustment is pretty typical. Look at a discussion re that in the last couple of days on this thread. I bet they walk you through that too. For now turn down the setting a few notches and see if that works. With the scoop, less is often better. Also, make sure you have the latest software installed.
Ultimately, I hope they make good on it for you. Their reputation and practice has been to bend over backwards for their customers.

#13211 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Sorry to hear you're having issues but welcome to the owner's club! The start button should flash a Morse code message over and over when in free play, check the connection to the bulb on the backside of the start button in the cabinet.

For the scoop try decreasing or increasing the coil power for it in the system settings. If that doesn't work you may have to bend it a bit as others have described in this thread.

#13212 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Does it have all the upgrades to help with power management? What is the build date? If it was NOS sitting in a box in a warehouse, you may have to do some upgrades on it to get the coil performance acceptable.

It's a sept 2021 built. Should have every upgrade now.

#13213 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

You need to reach out AP. I bet they make it good. You could have purchased a used one with none of that cheaper. The scoop adjustment is pretty typical. Look at a discussion re that in the last couple of days on this thread. I bet they walk you through that too. For now turn down the setting a few notches and see if that works. With the scoop, less is often better. Also, make sure you have the latest software installed.
Ultimately, I hope they make good on it for you. Their reputation and practice has been to bend over backwards for their customers.

I've read through the posts but my issue seems diffrerent. (Maybe not?). I don't see mine hitting on the scoop, it just does'nt seems to have enough strength to climb up to the PF. (I'll need to play more to see if it really hit the scoop.)

What's the best way to reach out to them? I took pictures of everything damaged.

#13215 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The start button should flash a Morse code message over and over when in free play, check the connection to the bulb on the backside of the start button in the cabinet.
For the scoop try decreasing or increasing the coil power for it in the system settings.

Ok, mine does not do anything. I'm not the most advanced tech out there, what should I look for on the connection? What's weird is that it flashes half a sec in test mode, that does not feel normal too. I'll try playing with the coil setting and report back.

#13216 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

what should I look for on the connection? What's weird is that it flashes half a sec in test mode,

Is the bulb tight in it's holder ?

LTG : )

#13217 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Ok, mine does not do anything. I'm not the most advanced tech out there, what should I look for on the connection? What's weird is that it flashes half a sec in test mode, that does not feel normal too. I'll try playing with the coil setting and report back.

The short flash in test mode is normal.

#13218 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Do you have the game set for free play?

#13219 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

I've read through the posts but my issue seems diffrerent. (Maybe not?). I don't see mine hitting on the scoop, it just does'nt seems to have enough strength to climb up to the PF. (I'll need to play more to see if it really hit the scoop.)
What's the best way to reach out to them? I took pictures of everything damaged.

Try the scoop setting at 12. The curve of the metal scoop should match the curve of a 3" diameter circle.

Take the scoop out to bend it.

#13220 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Do you have the game set for free play?

Yes exactly. Someone previously said it should pulse a morse code or something.

#13221 2 years ago

Looks like LTG was right, unpluggin / repluggin the start button bulb seems to have fixed it. It now pulse a morse code.

So far I got no succes with the scoop. The default setting was at 20, I played a couple of games decreasing the value to 18-15-12-10-8 but it seems it got worse each time. I'll try going up tomorow...

And yeah, by looking at it closely, I saw that it hit the top of the scoop and go back in the hole instead of following the curve.

#13222 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Try the scoop setting at 12. The curve of the metal scoop should match the curve of a 3" diameter circle.

I like your pipe method. Makes it much faster. Here’s the video

#13223 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I like the the giant hammer. Just call Thor.

#13224 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Glorious! Are the new games coming with this adjusted scoop?

For the less inclined that have no hammer, with they be for sale?

Inquiring minds want to know!

#13225 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Inquiring minds want to know!

I’d buy one. Probably

#13226 2 years ago

-do you mean LOV? Because it’s a different pinball life scoop, but same arch.

- working with the supplier to get the increased curve parts made for Houdini

#13227 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

working with the supplier to get the increased curve parts made for Houdini

I really liked the action of the altered scoop.

Way smoother and perfected! It also might solve the way the ball brutally bounces off the front edge of the opening.

Its an easy fix, but Ill buy one if you get them made for sure!

#13228 2 years ago

So after a few adjustments(scoop,trunk catapult)I think I have everything working smooth and fast. My trunk catapult is now at a 100% success rate(was hitting to the left 100% of the time)and my scoop(after bending it to a larger radius)is now shooting out a lot faster and less clunky. After making those adjustments this pin is a real joy to play. I can’t believe I second guessed myself about owning a Houdini for so long and I’m very glad to have Houdini in my lineup. With all that said I have a few questions for the Houdini pro’s…can I add a subwoofer to the sound system? My pin is on the current code and I was watching a Jack Danger stream that added CoOp play and was wondering if that is available as of today? I’m going to start digging in and try to get to some of the cool wizard modes and blow the score up! Awesome pin AP…and congrats on a solid pinball company!

#13229 2 years ago

I really liked the action of the altered scoop.
Way smoother and perfected! It also might solve the way the ball brutally bounces off the front edge of the opening.
Its an easy fix, but Ill buy one if you get them made for sure!

I'll have to try the modification for mine as well. The scoop ejects alright for the most part but often times it takes several attempts to get the ball out and even when it does it's a bit clunky. I would also buy a new, API modified one if you make them.

#13230 2 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

So after a few adjustments(scoop,trunk catapult)I think I have everything working smooth and fast. My trunk catapult is now at a 100% success rate(was hitting to the left 100% of the time)and my scoop(after bending it to a larger radius)is now shooting out a lot faster and less clunky. After making those adjustments this pin is a real joy to play. I can’t believe I second guessed myself about owning a Houdini for so long and I’m very glad to have Houdini in my lineup. With all that said I have a few questions for the Houdini pro’s…can I add a subwoofer to the sound system? My pin is on the current code and I was watching a Jack Danger stream that added CoOp play and was wondering if that is available as of today? I’m going to start digging in and try to get to some of the cool wizard modes and blow the score up! Awesome pin AP…and congrats on a solid pinball company!

The code with Team play is still in Beta and hopefully I'm not violating anything by saying it just keeps getting better and better, Josh is killing it and y'all are going to be very happy once it's ready for release.

#13231 2 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

With all that said I have a few questions for the Houdini pro’s…can I add a subwoofer to the sound system?

I have lots of external subwoofers I use for my modern games (Polk PSW10). I like them because they're less invasive to install vs cabinet speakers and I can hook 2 pins to one sub. Plus easy enough to move to another game if needed.

For houdini (built before 2021), you just need to connect the speaker wire to the amp in the backbox.

#13232 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The code with Team play is still in Beta and hopefully I'm not violating anything by saying it just keeps getting better and better, Josh is killing it and y'all are going to be very happy once it's ready for release.

Hoping that is released in full soon!

#13233 2 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I'll have to try the modification for mine as well. The scoop ejects alright for the most part but often times it takes several attempts to get the ball out and even when it does it's a bit clunky. I would also buy a new, API modified one if you make them.

After seeing the video, I am realizing that my exit to the scoop is as violent as the one in the video. I do not want my playfield to start wearing like that so I am going to work on it today. Thanks for everyone who has worked on this problem for a solution.

#13234 2 years ago

Hello all. I just turned on my machine, and the screen does not come on, but it sounds like the machine is resetting (from the speakers) every five seconds or so. The back box light also flashes at the same time. It sounds like it is turning off an on, but the game is not booting.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does this sound like a power supply issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.

#13235 2 years ago

It looks and sounds like the 12V power supply is cycling on and off. I would suggest you contact Dave brenna98 at AP to arrange a replacement.

#13236 2 years ago

Thank you.

#13237 2 years ago
Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

PM sent with suggestions.

#13238 2 years ago

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate both of you guys helping within a Pinside thread. Nobody beats AP’s service

#13239 2 years ago

My scoop always ejects but tends to go any which way. I might try this adjustment.

#13240 2 years ago
#13241 2 years ago

Nice!

Thats the update i was waiting for!

#13243 2 years ago

Download new code,all went fine until I rebooted the game after install,game just said no signal with blue screen.

Went back to last code and all good!

#13244 2 years ago

Wooo!!! Can’t wait to try this

#13245 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Download new code,all went fine until I rebooted the game after install,game just said no signal with blue screen.
Went back to last code and all good!

Sounds like you just had a bad code load, try downloading it again and if you still have problems try connecting the USB stick to the halfway point under the playfield. My extension cable has gone bad and I started having issues like this with it when loading some of the versions we were testing, I put a new extension cable in and it's been perfect since. There are a lot of great things in this new code that aren't really reflected well in the release notes.

#13246 2 years ago

I was excited for the new code, because I thought I heard that the stage eject was corrected. I have had it attempt 4 or 5 times with no success. Is there something else I need to adjust on the stage?

#13247 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I was excited for the new code, because I thought I heard that the stage eject was corrected. I have had it attempt 4 or 5 times with no success. Is there something else I need to adjust on the stage?

That has never worked for me and I've tested it on the latest code too, I think it may have a lot to do with how steep you have your game and I leave mine steeper than recommended. I don't really care much because I have had it disabled as long as I've owned the game so there's nothing there for me to miss. The best addition to me, I guess because I've been asking for it for a long time, is that you can now see what film is ready so you can decide if you want to start it or not based on where you are in the game, what you strategy / goals are for that game, etc. There are a lot of other really nice additions too includeing one magic shop joke that about made me spit out my beer the first time I saw it so I definitely encourage everyone to update and enjoy it!

#13248 2 years ago

edit: no it didn’t! Never mind

#13249 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

That has never worked for me and I've tested it on the latest code too, I think it may have a lot to do with how steep you have your game and I leave mine steeper than recommended. I don't really care much because I have had it disabled as long as I've owned the game so there's nothing there for me to miss. The best addition to me, I guess because I've been asking for it for a long time, is that you can now see what film is ready so you can decide if you want to start it or not based on where you are in the game, what you strategy / goals are for that game, etc. There are a lot of other really nice additions too includeing one magic shop joke that about made me spit out my beer the first time I saw it so I definitely encourage everyone to update and enjoy it!

When does the stage eject supposed to happen? When ever I shoot in the stage it seems to always go to the subway system and shoots out of the scoop.

#13250 2 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

When does the stage eject supposed to happen? When ever I shoot in the stage it seems to always go to the subway system and shoots out of the scoop.

Its random I believe. But yours might be turned off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 265 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/265?hl=chewiec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.