20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 263 of 297.
#13101 2 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Anyways the game is really hard, I like it. Still being very new I seem to get lost in what modes I have running, there is a lot going on.

It’s a great game. The trick is to stack both multi-ball modes (seance and trunk) when you are in bullet mode, needles, or man from nowhere. My favorite is the two multi-ball modes and bullet.
If you don’t have the knocker, get it. Best use of a knocker in a game ever.

#13102 2 years ago

For you Mightygrave…

1E2C11F4-21A2-4CCD-ACF5-676D43A70991 (resized).jpeg1E2C11F4-21A2-4CCD-ACF5-676D43A70991 (resized).jpeg5121CAB6-CE51-48DE-9934-5FD5495BF69D (resized).jpeg5121CAB6-CE51-48DE-9934-5FD5495BF69D (resized).jpeg
#13103 2 years ago

Anyone in Arizona have a Houdini I can try? Really thinking about getting one. Sold some pins and the lack of games in my room needs to be fixed lol.

Is $6700 delivered a good price for Deluxe Edition with few plays and like new? Pics below of the game. Are the shots tight and is it a game that average players will enjoy? Just sucks that I can’t try one before I buy.

Thanks for any help.

2B90D0F0-82D6-4EE4-B7C5-3D8834695988 (resized).jpeg2B90D0F0-82D6-4EE4-B7C5-3D8834695988 (resized).jpeg56D3EEF5-D4A1-4EF7-9FF5-D788AA09A8F8 (resized).jpeg56D3EEF5-D4A1-4EF7-9FF5-D788AA09A8F8 (resized).jpeg5BE670A0-1395-4B0D-9D76-F6A77F51489D (resized).jpeg5BE670A0-1395-4B0D-9D76-F6A77F51489D (resized).jpegACF6A843-A3E6-4E60-A401-550E9134834A (resized).jpegACF6A843-A3E6-4E60-A401-550E9134834A (resized).jpeg
#13104 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Anyone in Arizona have a Houdini I can try? Really thinking about getting one. Sold some pins and the lack of games in my room needs to be fixed lol.
Is $6700 delivered a good price for Deluxe Edition with few plays and like new? Pics below of the game. Are the shots tight and is it a game that average players will enjoy? Just sucks that I can’t try one before I buy.
Thanks for any help.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have one. I'm in the south mountain area if you want to try one out.

#13105 2 years ago

Thanks for any help.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I can't really speak to the prices on the used market because I haven't been following it but that sounds like a really good deal, one thing for sure is that you'd be getting a lot of game for your money. Yes, some of the shots are tight but so are the ones on JP3 and it doesn't get the negative rap that Houdini did / does. It will make you a better player but until you figure out some of the shots casual players may tire of getting their butts handed to them, this can be relieved a lot but changing a lot of the settings to make it more approachable for them. I've never bought a game I didn't get to play first and probably never will so I hope you can find somewhere to put a few games on it first even though I'll bet you love it. If you buy this game make sure to get some of the slide in side-art protectors from Pinball life for when you need to raise the playfield if you don't already have them.

#13106 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I can't really speak to the prices on the used market because I haven't been following it but that sounds like a really good deal, one thing for sure is that you'd be getting a lot of game for your money. Yes, some of the shots are tight but so are the ones on JP3 and it doesn't get the negative rap that Houdini did / does. It will make you a better player but until you figure out some of the shots casual players may tire of getting their butts handed to them, this can be relieved a lot but changing a lot of the settings to make it more approachable for them. I've never bought a game I didn't get to play first and probably never will so I hope you can find somewhere to put a few games on it first even though I'll bet you love it. If you buy this game make sure to get some of the slide in side-art protectors from Pinball life for when you need to raise the playfield if you don't already have them.

Awesome. Thank you so very much for your reply. I really appreciate it. Your right about JP3, there are some really tight shots and doesn’t get any hate. I will get a chance to play it most likely thanks to Gibson’s. Have a good weekend.

#13107 2 years ago

I bought houdini over a year ago without ever playing it. I was a below average player, but immediately loved the shots, and rules. I never found anything hard to shoot except for the magic chest. Now I can backhand that shot, play 2-3 games per day, and routinely average around 4 million per game. That said, im a WAY better player on any game now because of houdini. This is a game I doubt I would ever sell. My family loves it, and when everything is dialed in....it's just one you cant walk away from. It's a TON of game for the money.

#13108 2 years ago

I've never played Houdini either but ordered/paid for a future build. Maybe it's on the line right now.
Hoping all the design crew/staff/techs/builders can sign the rear of the backbox for that one Houdini Deluxe coming down the line for Mike in Glenshaw PA. Lol!! Can't hurt to ask.
r/
Mike

#13109 2 years ago

Optimiser Australian voltage is 240V @50Hz for single phase ... 415V between phases for 3 phase..

#13110 2 years ago

Really glad to hear some folks think for themselves instead of buying into the myth about the shots. Also really glad AP decided to put it back on the line and let folks take another bite at the Apple

#13111 2 years ago
Quoted from Weazel:

Optimiser Australian voltage is 240V @50Hz for single phase ... 415V between phases for 3 phase..

That's what I thought but that's what I found out when I did some research. Those fluctuations are correct from what I've seen here when measuring.

Australian-AC-Line-Voltages.pdfAustralian-AC-Line-Voltages.pdf
#13112 2 years ago

Going to play and possibly buy a HOU only Houdini. Was told had 99 plays. What’s a good offer up make? I only have one pic of the game.

8AF35BBE-AB3A-4C21-A321-1D5456F708C8 (resized).jpeg8AF35BBE-AB3A-4C21-A321-1D5456F708C8 (resized).jpeg
#13113 2 years ago

Going to play and possibly buy a HOU only Houdini. Was told had 99 plays. What’s a good offer up make? I only have one pic of the game.
[quoted image]

I might just get a NIB one with all the updates and upgrades for the money.

#13114 2 years ago

Optimiser Thanks for your post. Interesting that Tasmania is running 230V the same as New Zealand. However ..

It doesn't make any difference with a SMPS, switched mode power supply, as it can handle a very wide range of AC input voltages and provides a tightly regulated output by its design. The way it works is by rectifying the AC input voltage which is stored in a capacitor. A DC supply of 150 to 400V is obtained. Next a high frequency transformer which is small, is switched using "transistors". The output of the HF transformer is again rectified and smoothed with capacitors to obtain the output voltage. Voltage regulation is obtained by feeding back the output voltage to the switching "transistors" which vary the width, PWM, of the DC pulses going in to the HF transformer. Regulation is almost instantaneous but extra capacitance on the output is better. There's limited space in the SMPS for large capacitors.

#13115 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I might just get a NIB one with all the updates and upgrades for the money.

That's what I did. I wanted to support this company as well. Top notch interaction with their customer base and extremely helpful. Being present is half the battle and they have presence in spades.
r/
Mike

#13116 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Price should depend on how many of the upgrades have been done if necssary. Power supply and capacitor upgrades are very important, knocker is pretty much a must-have on this game but that can be added easily, shaker is a nice to have and magic glass is just icing on the cake but something I put in all my games with a relatively small collection.

#13117 2 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

I've never played Houdini either but ordered/paid for a future build. Maybe it's on the line right now.
Hoping all the design crew/staff/techs/builders can sign the rear of the backbox for that one Houdini Deluxe coming down the line for Mike in Glenshaw PA. Lol!! Can't hurt to ask.
r/
Mike

When you get your game I'll be very interested to see what coils are in it and what the settings for those are, if they've been changed from previous production, etc. I'd also like to see pictures of the changes they've made to the cabinet / speaker arrangement.

#13118 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Price should depend on how many of the upgrades have been done if necssary. Power supply and capacitor upgrades are very important, knocker is pretty much a must-have on this game but that can be added easily, shaker is a nice to have and magic glass is just icing on the cake but something I put in all my games with a relatively small collection.

When you say capacitor upgrade, do you mean the flipper coil upgrade or something else?

#13119 2 years ago

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/kit0006-00

This capacitor kit will help to add a bit more power for the flipper coils. It is not really a coil change... Just more power for the Flippercoils if there is a heavy use like multiball stacking.

AP works on different coils for houdini, the get a overall better performance.
But the cap kit as shown above is a good cheap investment to get way better performance with the game.

I highly recommend it !

#13120 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

When you get your game I'll be very interested to see what coils are in it and what the settings for those are, if they've been changed from previous production, etc. I'd also like to see pictures of the changes they've made to the cabinet / speaker arrangement.

I was specific with the distro asking them for a future build date and that I'm in no hurry because I want the latest updates during this or the next run.
I'm hoping it's an October(or later) or late september build at the very earliest but I'm ignorant on how pinball companies run their operations so I have no actual intel or input as to the process. I can only hope the distro listened to my requests pertaining to this and the shipping scenario.
It will either be a great experience and I'll sing their praises or a one and done with no recommendation when people ask who to buy from (I mean buy from the distro, not American Pinball to be clear. I know AP is great already)
So hopefully it will be a while before I can accommodate your request. Maybe someone getting theirs earlier can hop in and answer prior to my delivery.
r/
Mike

#13121 2 years ago

Pinballstar has them in stock, Joe Newhart is a stand up guy.. Highly Recommended

#13122 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Pinballstar has them in stock, Joe Newhart is a stand up guy.. Highly Recommended

I second that! I've bought 4 games from him... great distributor and super good dude.

Although, fair warning: He *is* a Yankees fan.

#13123 2 years ago

Quick question:

Can anyone tell me the cabinet height with the head folded down on an American pinball?

Thanks

#13124 2 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Quick question:
Can anyone tell me the cabinet height with the head folded down on an American pinball?
Thanks

Tallest point almost 30 inches.

#13125 2 years ago

I would like to give a big shout out to Dave Brennan from API. This guy goes above and beyond in helping us all over the world fixing our first world pinball problems…

#13126 2 years ago
Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

I would like to give a big shout out to Dave Brennan from API. This guy goes above and beyond in helping us all over the world fixing our first world pinball problems…

And he's quite photogenic too !

#13127 2 years ago
Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

I would like to give a big shout out to Dave Brennan from API. This guy goes above and beyond in helping us all over the world

Thanks for the nice comments! Wish management read Pinside to see them.

#13128 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Thanks for the nice comments! Wish management read Pinside to see them.

Print them out then hide them in your desk. They'll see them then.

#13129 2 years ago

Where is the power supply located and how do I tell if I have the upgraded one?

#13130 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Where is the power supply located and how do I tell if I have the upgraded one?

#13131 2 years ago

Great video and explained a lot. Curious about the power supply issue. I'm pretty ignorant on electricity but was wondering if using a Monster power conditioner would do the same thing, mostly since I have one sitting around

#13132 2 years ago

Thanks! I already have the toaster one! yay

#13133 2 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Great video and explained a lot. Curious about the power supply issue. I'm pretty ignorant on electricity but was wondering if using a Monster power conditioner would do the same thing, mostly since I have one sitting around

Some kind of buck/boost would be ideal to stabilize power to the game.

I used a variac until the capacitor upgrade and no longer need it!

My game now runs as smooth as can be with none of the inconsistencies of the earlier, first gen games.

Now, all I need is to install the subwoofer in the lower cab...

#13134 2 years ago

You might like an external sub. It will give you incredible bass without sawing a hole in the bottom of the cab. And if you have another game next to it you can give bass to 2 games.

Some kind of buck/boost would be ideal to stabilize power to the game.
I used a variac until the capacitor upgrade and no longer need it!
My game now runs as smooth as can be with none of the inconsistencies of the earlier, first gen games.
Now, all I need is to install the subwoofer in the lower cab...

#13135 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

You might like an external sub. It will give you incredible bass without sawing a hole in the bottom of the cab. And if you have another game next to it you can give bass to 2 games.

I use an inexpensive mixer to run multiple pins on the subs (I use two subs). Might not be ideal if all the pins are going at once, but we only play one at a time. I also use a high level to low level adapter to provide ground isolation and provide a level more appropriate for the active sub input.

#13136 2 years ago

I have t Polk sub.

But the real issue is that new games have the sub installed and FOMO has kicked in.

I must install the sub to be current lol.

#13137 2 years ago

I have t Polk sub.
But the real issue is that new games have the sub installed and FOMO has kicked in.

You have to think of your Houdini as a rare example of an early release of the game. That way it will go for an extra $10K when you sell it off at auction.
That’s what I’m holding out for with my rare early release….

#13138 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

You have to think of your Houdini as a rare example of an early release of the game. That way it will go for an extra $10K when you sell it off at auction.
That’s what I’m holding out for with my rare early release….

Lol, Ill take my chances

#13139 2 years ago

Your external sub will sound better.

I have t Polk sub.

#13140 2 years ago

Your external sub will sound better.

Yes, but FOMO is killing me....

#13141 2 years ago

Did that beta go out? How goes it ?

#13142 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Did that beta go out? How goes it ?

I don't know how much we're supposed / allowed to comment on it but I will say that there are some really great nuggets in the beta, including one "fix" I've been asking for for quite a while. They showed off team mode in the Deadflip stream and I think the implementation is the best I've personally seen on any game. Being able to choose which team you want to be on just before you plunge your first ball is such a great idea. So great to still be getting improvements on this game and I think it's amazing they're still producing and selling new ones as it seems more people are finally starting to appreciate how good this game is.

#13143 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

So great to still be getting improvements on this game and I think it's amazing they're still producing and selling new ones as it seems more people are finally starting to appreciate how good this game is.

Really glad to hear it! I couldn't have said it better myself.

#13144 2 years ago

I'm spending an inordinate amount of time on this and don't even have the game yet. I had to design a more practical candelabra because the one on thingiverse isn't made to be all that miniature. The robot itself is a bit of a challenge and a few slicer tweaks to get acceptable 3d prints.
Hopefully I can get it painted by next week.

20211001_085304 (resized).jpg20211001_085304 (resized).jpg

#13145 2 years ago

Of course I haven't forgotten about the monkey.
A little Joe Balcer WOZ tribute spin on it though since I have that game.

20211001_094848 (resized).jpg20211001_094848 (resized).jpg
#13146 2 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

I'm spending an inordinate amount of time on this and don't even have the game yet. I had to design a more practical candelabra because the one on thingiverse isn't made to be all that miniature. The robot itself is a bit of a challenge and a few slicer tweaks to get acceptable 3d prints.
Hopefully I can get it painted by next week.
[quoted image]

Very nice! Where do you plan on putting it?

#13147 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Very nice! Where do you plan on putting it?

I have no idea to be honest. I've never been close enough to a houdini playfield to figure out a spot. Hopefully it becomes obvious to me when I get the game.
r/
Mike

#13148 2 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

I have no idea to be honest. I've never been close enough to a houdini playfield to figure out a spot. Hopefully it becomes obvious to me when I get the game.
r/
Mike

There aren’t a ton of spots to put things on the Playfield - but there are some. You may find the rear right is probably your best bet

#13149 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There aren’t a ton of spots to put things on the Playfield - but there are some. You may find the rear right is probably your best bet

Sacrilege! That's where you put the Houdini water torture mod!

#13150 2 years ago

Sacrilege! That's where you put the Houdini water torture mod!

LOL, that’s how I knew!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 263 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/263?hl=vegas9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.