20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 297.
#12851 2 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm considering joining the Houdini club by trading for one. Hesitant to do it because I want to play the game, not constantly tweak it or have to upgrade parts, power supplies or anything.

This is a Nov 2018 build. What can anyone tell me to look for so that fixes have already been performed, etc?

I think I'd enjoy playing the game for sure, my wife won't, but whatever - she has her Medieval Madness. But I want to enjoy playing and not have a frequent project on my hands.

Thanks!

#12852 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Hi everyone, I'm considering joining the Houdini club by trading for one. Hesitant to do it because I want to play the game, not constantly tweak it or have to upgrade parts, power supplies or anything.
This is a Nov 2018 build. What can anyone tell me to look for so that fixes have already been performed, etc?
I think I'd enjoy playing the game for sure, my wife won't, but whatever - she has her Medieval Madness. But I want to enjoy playing and not have a frequent project on my hands.
Thanks!

It's not a "frequent" project, but in order to enjoy the game I do think it's smart to make the recommended fixes. Wouldn't you do that on any other game? I've had mine since probably around november 2018, and it's still here. I've made the fixes. Suggest making sure you have the new power supply or the upgraded one (which is 2 pieceS). Get a photo, post it here. Otherwise check for EOS switches. The jury is out on whether they actually do anything, but some of the owners swear by them, and they're pretty inexpensive.

check that the catapult lands balls in the trunk frequently. Mine has never, ever, ever missed. Even with the "bad" power supply. But it does seem to depend on the power at your location, which is why the upgrade is good. Check that it's level, pitch should be just a touch above 6 to start. If you have a level floor, screw the leg levellers all the way in, then unscrew them a couple of turns.

check the flippers - they should be pointing straight from the lane guides, not slightly tilted up. there is a template that AP provided - it's a plastic you can lay over the flippers to check their alignment. they should be slightly *lower* than the template indicates. If not, fix that.

You may want to nudge the really small targets around the ramp and inner orbit just to be sure there isn't even a micrometer blocking those shots .. But really that's it

#12853 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's not a "frequent" project, but in order to enjoy the game I do think it's smart to make the recommended fixes. Wouldn't you do that on any other game? I've had mine since probably around november 2018, and it's still here. I've made the fixes. Suggest making sure you have the new power supply or the upgraded one (which is 2 pieceS). Get a photo, post it here. Otherwise check for EOS switches. The jury is out on whether they actually do anything, but some of the owners swear by them, and they're pretty inexpensive.
check that the catapult lands balls in the trunk frequently. Mine has never, ever, ever missed. Even with the "bad" power supply. But it does seem to depend on the power at your location, which is why the upgrade is good. Check that it's level, pitch should be just a touch above 6 to start. If you have a level floor, screw the leg levellers all the way in, then unscrew them a couple of turns.
check the flippers - they should be pointing straight from the lane guides, not slightly tilted up. there is a template that AP provided - it's a plastic you can lay over the flippers to check their alignment. they should be slightly *lower* than the template indicates. If not, fix that.
You may want to nudge the really small targets around the ramp and inner orbit just to be sure there isn't even a micrometer blocking those shots .. But really that's it

Awesome, thanks!

And I'd be posing the same-ish questions if thinking about a Stranger Things Premium/LE.

I have a pro which works great. But 75% of the owners thread is premium and LE owners making adjustments so stuff works right.

#12854 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Awesome, thanks!
And I'd be posing the same-ish questions if thinking about a Stranger Things Premium/LE.
I have a pro which works great. But 75% of the owners thread is premium and LE owners making adjustments so stuff works right.

Happens with every pinball.
Geez, the work Ive put into my White water with the Ball Lock opto's is stupid. Wanted to sell the damn thing.
Ive done every "Fix" on my Houdini, there not hard and you learn, and it's rewarding.
Hell, same on my Led Zep prem, did every fix love the game.

#12855 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Thanks!

I have applied the factory suggested updates and the game is running really good.

I havent done anything to my game in years, other than the recent capacitor addition (literally a 5 min fix).

There is no constant anything other than regular waxing every 400 plays and change the balls.

Nothing has broken, nothing needs anything.

Houdini is particularly robust compared to many other recent games.

All brand new games require tweaking and adjustment and sometimes there are service bulletins to fix something.

If you buy a well used game, operators and prior owners may have already done all the tweaks and fixes. Some good, often bad...

#12856 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Thanks!

I tweaked and upgraded my early build for a year or two. It was my first new pin, and a learning experience. It was never frustrating, and the design makes it easy to work on. I placed 2 calls to the tech team for help since 2017. Never had any problem with stage motor. The fun factor has been constant. If you like this type of machine, it is worth dialing it in.

#12857 2 years ago

Just wanted to say for any potential Houdini buyers out there, that American Pinball has some of THE BEST customer service in the business. I'm talking about getting emails answered same day, tech support over the phone, replacement parts no problem. (Plus the game is amazing...)

All the stuff that people complain about Stern and JJP NOT doing in terms of after-purchase service, American Pinball IS doing. That should give you confidence about making a purchase.

#12858 2 years ago

I hate to be “that guy” but how do you start a new post in this American Pinball Houdini thread? I can reply to others posts but nowhere do I see an option to start a post. New Houdini owner here…and I have questions lol.

#12859 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

I hate to be “that guy” but how do you start a new post in this American Pinball Houdini thread? I can reply to others posts but nowhere do I see an option to start a post. New Houdini owner here…and I have questions lol.

One of he best questions with no answer I've ever seen.

Well done.

#12860 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

Ask your questions in this thread and i would assume that a lot people would chime in and help

#12861 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

Um.. just reply and remove all the stuff it pre-loads in the text box

#12862 2 years ago
Quoted from mk47:

I have some issues with the lower catapult. When I start playing the trunk gets perfectly hit. But after some time the balls start missing the trunk and hit the backboard on the right side of the trunk.
The replacement power supply and the additional capacitor for the flipper fingers are installed. If I use the factory settings, the ball will never reach the trunk. I had to increase the coil power by 2. The machine is perfectly leveled at 6.2 degrees.
I still see the issue on my machine that the flippers lose power from time to time maybe because but I didn't get an EOS kit in Germany yet. Maybe the catapult issue is related. On the other hand, the catapult doesn't seem to lose power. the strength seems to be sufficient. The ball simply moves to the right and misses the trunk. Any ideas?

Quoted from MightyGrave:

Install the EOS switches - you can Buy them easy and solder it. It's a 15 minutes Job.
I also added a bigger capacitator Kit from spooky and also use the old Transformer Power supply directly for a PD-16 Line. These fixes helped me to get the perfect gameplay and all coils Work with constant power

I just installed the EOS switches.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

First I would check the mounting of the catapult under the playfield. A small number of Pinsiders have adjusted this so that the ball enters the trunk more consistently

Yesterday I loosen the screws of the catapult's base plate and rotated it a bit. Afterwards the ball was perfectly thrown into the trunk, sometimes a bit more on the left side. But today the balls are thrown again to the right and miss the trunk!

The catapult itself looks robust and I don't see anything loosen at the assembly.

#12863 2 years ago
Quoted from mk47:

I just installed the EOS switches.

Yesterday I loosen the screws of the catapult's base plate and rotated it a bit. Afterwards the ball was perfectly thrown into the trunk, sometimes a bit more on the left side. But today the balls are thrown again to the right and miss the trunk!
The catapult itself looks robust and I don't see anything loosen at the assembly.

Did you moved the plastic ramp a Bit to the right. That's what i did besides the Hardware fixes

#12864 2 years ago

Ok..I think I get it…Every post is a reply to the original post 4 years ago.

#12865 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

It shouldnt be. It should be blank unless you hit the "s

#12866 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

Great!

Now what questions did you have?

#12867 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

It shouldnt be. It should be blank unless you hit the "s

It's still a Reply just not a direct reply to any particular post unless you quote that post using the quotation marks link in a particular post.

#12868 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

Yes, exactly. Just put your questions in man!

#12869 2 years ago

Don't rush him, we want to be sure about all of this stuff. Can't have questions just anywhere willy nilly.

#12870 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

Did you scroll the whole way down to the bottom to the empty reply box ?

LTG : )

#12871 2 years ago

Like this ?

#12872 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you scroll the whole way down to the bottom to the empty reply box ?

That's a really deep, philosophical question that hurts my head.

If we can figure that one out we should be able to unravel Pavlov.

#12873 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

If we can figure that one out

Not knowing how he reads Pinside. Phone, iPad, Computer, different browsers. I was thinking he may not see it or be able to scroll the whole way down. By quoting, you get a reply box.

#12874 2 years ago

Can't be, he hasn't used quote, unless he has quoted and then wiped the quote.

#12875 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Great!
Now what questions did you have?

He's only made 2 posts. Still in the first 10 posts learning curve. These things take time.
Last one was 4 years ago. The plot thickens.

#12876 2 years ago

Hi, I need a little help. I've read through a couple other posts on the fuses, but I'm a little confused on how to troubleshoot. One of my kids power cycled the machine twice while in the middle of someone's game. Now, the coils don't seem to fire (ball won't fire into shooter lane, flipper won't fire). I didn't quite understand the manual on the power lines and how certain fuses were connected to each as I'm assuming a fuse (or multiple) is blown. I saw another post about a red LED indicating a blown fuse, but I'm actually not entirely sure where they even are on this machine. Would appreciate some help and guidance. Thanks.

#12877 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

but I'm actually not entirely sure where they even are on this machine.

Page 5-45 in the manual lists four involved with coil power.

I don't have the game to check.

So turn the game off. Go over the boards. Pull any fuse you see and check with a meter.

#12878 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Hi, I need a little help. I've read through a couple other posts on the fuses, but I'm a little confused on how to troubleshoot. One of my kids power cycled the machine twice while in the middle of someone's game. Now, the coils don't seem to fire (ball won't fire into shooter lane, flipper won't fire). I didn't quite understand the manual on the power lines and how certain fuses were connected to each as I'm assuming a fuse (or multiple) is blown. I saw another post about a red LED indicating a blown fuse, but I'm actually not entirely sure where they even are on this machine. Would appreciate some help and guidance. Thanks.

The first thing I would do, if you haven't, is to turn the game off for 90 seconds and then turn it back on. If the problem persists after it powers back up I would go into tests-coils, pull the high power interlock switch out (it's a white switch the coin door closes) and cycle through and see if any coils at all work or if they are all dead. If they are all dead (seems unlikely) you have may have a 48V power supply issue. If some are working and some aren't you can probably isolate it down to one board, or one bank on a board. There are two PD-16 driver boards mounted back to back on a bracket on the underneath the playfield. Each one has two banks of controls to drive solenoids and flashers / low-powered circuits. Each bank has it's own power supply input and associated fuse and each fuse has an LED power indicator next to the fuse. If you find it's a certain bank of coils not working check the LED and fuse for that bank, the fuses holders all have covers on them. Just remember the LEDs on those boards won't be lit unless the coin door is closed or the interlock switch is pulled out to the service position.

#12879 2 years ago

I took delivery of HOU1571 a couple weeks ago, and love it. While playing with the menus I found a red light on Tilt Switch and trunk lid. I cleared the tilt after “finding” the pendulum in the coin box ( whole other story…delivery guys were useless), and hitting it one time. The trunk lid is a different story. The trunk operates just fine so I am not sure what the purpose of the trunk lid switch is or why it would be red. Anyone have this same error after delivery?

#12880 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

I took delivery of HOU1571 a couple weeks ago, and love it. While playing with the menus I found a red light on Tilt Switch and trunk lid. I cleared the tilt after “finding” the pendulum in the coin box ( whole other story…delivery guys were useless), and hitting it one time. The trunk lid is a different story. The trunk operates just fine so I am not sure what the purpose of the trunk lid switch is or why it would be red. Anyone have this same error after delivery?

According to the manual that's an Opto but I don't remember where it is on the game or really what it does, unfortunately I'm away from mine at the time but someone will chime in with the answer.

#12881 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The first thing I would do, if you haven't, is to turn the game off for 90 seconds and then turn it back on. If the problem persists after it powers back up I would go into tests-coils, pull the high power interlock switch out (it's a white switch the coin door closes) and cycle through and see if any coils at all work or if they are all dead. If they are all dead (seems unlikely) you have may have a 48V power supply issue. If some are working and some aren't you can probably isolate it down to one board, or one bank on a board. There are two PD-16 driver boards mounted back to back on a bracket on the underneath the playfield. Each one has two banks of controls to drive solenoids and flashers / low-powered circuits. Each bank has it's own power supply input and associated fuse and each fuse has an LED power indicator next to the fuse. If you find it's a certain bank of coils not working check the LED and fuse for that bank, the fuses holders all have covers on them. Just remember the LEDs on those boards won't be lit unless the coin door is closed or the interlock switch is pulled out to the service position.

Thanks for this. I left it off for about 10 minutes and for some miraculous reason everything is all correct now. Could of sworn a fuse was blown due to the way it was operating and I'm not exactly sure what changed / cleared. Thanks for the help

#12882 2 years ago

Anybody having trouble :

rosh - Josh Kugler, ferret - Joe Schober, vegas98 - Michael Grant who is sales and marketing

Call them, open a new ticket on their support desk - https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ send PMs to rosh ferret vegas9 and their new tech guy Dave :

Dave Brennan brenna98
Technical Services Manager
[email protected]
Phone: (833) API-HELP / (833) 274-4357

#12883 2 years ago

My next newbie questions are gameplay questions.
When the ball is launched into the trunk it is announced “ball one locked”. What does that signify as I have not seen any benefit?…yet.
Also, on two occasions after playing, the knocker hit and the word “Match” came on the screen. How does a match occur?
Thanks to all those who have helped me so far!

#12884 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

If I recall correctly, Josh said that initially there was concern about the trunk not being open when the catapult fired so they added a switch to confirm it was open. This turned out not to be a problem but the switch is still there but not really needed.

#12885 2 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

If I recall correctly, Josh said that initially there was concern about the trunk not being open when the catapult fired so they added a switch to confirm it was open. This turned out not to be a problem but the switch is still there but not really needed.

Thanks…that makes sense

#12886 2 years ago

Also, on two occasions after playing, the knocker hit and the word “Match” came on the screen. How does a match occur?

Match is like a free game, if you were paying to play that is. Not on free play. Some call it lucky number. If the number that rolls up at the end of the game matches the last number in your score, then, pop……match…

#12887 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

When the ball is launched into the trunk it is announced “ball one locked”. What does that signify as I have not seen any benefit?…yet.

Match is like a free game, if you were paying to play that is. Not on free play. Some call it lucky number. If the number that rolls up at the end of the game matches the last number in your score, then, pop……match…

#12888 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

After 3 locked balls you get trunk multiball.

#12889 2 years ago

Awesome thanks for the replies

#12890 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

Awesome thanks for the replies

Trunk Multiball rules: The ball is locked by hitting the right inner loop when lock is lit (teal colored insert) and the game starts with it lit by default. To light / re-light lock you have to hit the stage alley. There are two lock inserts in the middle of the playfied in the "chains" that indicate when you have ball one and two locked (teal colored). Once you start trunk MB there are three jackpots; left orbit, ramp and right orbit, when you hit all the three the super jackpot is lit at the right inner loop. If you hit that the three regular jackpots are available again and you can repeat this over and over if you're good enough. You can start Trunk MB during an illusion, Film or escape mode but you cannot start any of those after Trunk MB is started. You can add SEANCE MB to it when lit for total magnet chaos.

#12891 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Here is a helpful chart: http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2021-6/Houdini--Quick-Reference-Guide.pdf

#12892 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

This video will help answer this:

Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

I'm a little confused on how to troubleshoot. One of my kids power cycled the machine twice while in the middle of someone's game. Now, the coils don't seem to fire (ball won't fire into shooter lane, flipper won't fire). I didn't quite understand the manual on the power lines and how certain fuses were connected to each as I'm assuming a fuse (or multiple) is blown. I saw another post about a red LED indicating a blown fuse, but I'm actually not entirely sure where they even are on this machine.

bobukcat 's advise is accurate. If you need me to walk through some testing with you, please give me a call when you're in front of the game 833-API-HELP
Fuse list is here: http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2021-6/Houdini--Quick-Reference-Guide.pdf

#12893 2 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Correct. In fact, I don't even open the trunk until after the ball is on the way.

For an operator, It is good to have the switch adjusted properly, so at least you would get switch error if the trunk lid coil was not functioning.

#12894 2 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

Here is a helpful chart:

Chart is nice. To bad it doesn't say where the fuses are.

#12895 2 years ago

whats the cost to upgrade an older houdini? power supply and eos switches?

#12896 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

whats the cost to upgrade an older houdini? power supply and eos switches?

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-power-supply-upgrade

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-end-of-stroke-switch ( sold out - you can see what to order to make your own )

#12897 2 years ago

I’m thinking of doing the lock lane Mod but since it involves drilling shaping and riveting, would only want to try it on extra brackets/switches. This way I have the originals as a fall back. These are not items in the American Pinball storefront. Has anyone ordered these for the Mod? I assume most game parts are orderable?

#12898 2 years ago
Quoted from scbill88:

I’m thinking of doing the lock lane Mod but since it involves drilling shaping and riveting, would only want to try it on extra brackets/switches. This way I have the originals as a fall back. These are not items in the American Pinball storefront. Has anyone ordered these for the Mod? I assume most game parts are orderable?

What in the world is the lock lane mod ?

#12899 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What in the world is the lock lane mod ?

Who knows lol.

#12900 2 years ago

I just ordered a Houdini today. Never played an American pinball game before but American pinball seems like a good company and I’d like to start giving them my business. Excited to play it and potentially buy Oktoberfest next.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/258?hl=splitcms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.