IMG_20210706_194930 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210706_194936 (resized).jpg
HIL (resized).jpg
243598F0-F59C-4302-94BF-351B016615B2 (resized).jpeg
C93C9646-39A3-442D-AC0C-5FBA14C51AAA (resized).jpeg
6E521E77-E869-4533-A68E-8E7B74E87187 (resized).jpeg
3D53F90E-CA83-470A-8E58-C6DA0AC76294 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

37 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12919 posts in this topic. You are on page 257 of 259.
#12801 16 days ago
Quoted from mk47:

I can't test the trunk catapult shot

just drop a ball into it.

#12802 16 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

just drop a ball into it.

Sure, I know how it works The problem is that since the last software update the catapult gets fired but the trunk remains open after the shot in coil test mode (the coil remains powered) and the machine resets after a few seconds.

If I do it during a normal game, the trunk closes normally.

#12803 15 days ago

My first Houdini mod.

20210717_091651 (resized).jpg
#12804 15 days ago
Quoted from mk47:

Sure, I know how it works The problem is that since the last software update the catapult gets fired but the trunk remains open after the shot in coil test mode (the coil remains powered) and the machine resets after a few seconds.

I just tested this and mine does the same.

#12805 15 days ago
Quoted from Scoot:

My first Houdini mod.
[quoted image]

Nice. I did mine in a blue, but I really like the red.

#12806 14 days ago

Was able to finally spell HOUDINI and make it to the wizard mode today. Failed to finish it but was a hell of a ride!

20210718_094513 (resized).jpg
#12807 14 days ago
Quoted from Scoot:

My first Houdini mod.
[quoted image]

Felt?

#12809 13 days ago

Had my first Houdini reset tonight with the latest official code and I've played maybe 30 or so.

Odd because it happened right after I started KING OF CARDS video mode. Had a 2 player game going, I was the second player and I was on Ball 5.

Throwing my first card, watched it fly for a second, then the pin rebooted.

I let the game start up normally but did not start a new game and turned it off.

I'd like to send Rosh the file so maybe he can diagnose what caused the reboot.

Can someone tell me how to write the file out?

From what I remember, I put in and empty FAT32 formatted USB (4GB is what I use) and turn on the pin to write the data.
Is this right?

#12810 13 days ago
Quoted from mk47:

Quoted from Scoot:

I just tested this and mine does the same.

rosh Are you aware of this bug?

#12811 13 days ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Had my first Houdini reset tonight with the latest official code and I've played maybe 30 or so.
Odd because it happened right after I started KING OF CARDS video mode. Had a 2 player game going, I was the second player and I was on Ball 5.
Throwing my first card, watched it fly for a second, then the pin rebooted.
I let the game start up normally but did not start a new game and turned it off.
Can someone tell me how to write the file out?
From what I remember, I put in and empty FAT32 formatted USB (4GB is what I use) and turn on the pin to write the data.
Is this right?

If you plug a USB drive in with the game powered on it will write the audits and logs to the drive then tell you to remove the usb and power cycle the game.

#12812 13 days ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Thanks, looks like a bug that has been there forever, so nice job finding it, I'll get it fixed for the next release.

Quoted from mk47:

rosh Are you aware of this bug?

Yes, I was reported a few weeks back. It is corrected for the next release. It only crashes if it misses so for now you can keep an extra ball in hand and just drop it in the trunk if the test ball misses.

#12813 13 days ago

Just so others know what exactly caused the reboot of Houdini in King Of Cards video mode, here it is:

Once KOC video mode starts, immediately throw the first card from the right flipper into the first target screen
with a double ring opportunity and make both rings.

#12814 13 days ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Just so others know what exactly caused the reboot of Houdini in King Of Cards video mode, here it is:
Once KOC video mode starts, immediately throw the first card from the right flipper into the first target screen
with a double ring opportunity and make both rings.

I love making both rings during King of Cards.

#12815 13 days ago

Yep, rare for me but so satisfying when I nail it.

#12816 12 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

It's a fun, challenging video mode that people seem to have a pretty difficult time picking up the first few times. Admittedly I've had my game for years and play the hell out of it but I'm still surprised how much people that don't play it regularly struggle to do well at it. I have also said this before but I think the scoring for this mode is way too high compared to most of the other illusions in the latest code, it's easy for me to get 200-300K points or more and an extra ball so if I have magicians choice and I've not played it yet I almost never choose anything else.

#12817 12 days ago
Quoted from Scoot:

My first Houdini mod.
[quoted image]

What adhesive did you use? I wonder if ball hits will cause red fibers to come loose and spread around the machine.

#12818 12 days ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

What adhesive did you use?

The Amazon link he provided, indicated there was self adhesive backing on the felt.

#12819 12 days ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

The Amazon link he provided, indicated there was self adhesive backing on the felt.

Yes, it is just peel and stick. I have not noticed yet any fibers coming loose but have only had 20 games or so since. One thing I had to change was to remove the felt on the bottom inside of the trunk, as I lined that too and I believe the friction the felt created caused the ball to hang up in the trunk occasionally. So I removed it. You can"t see the bottom of the trunk while playing so I should be good to go.

#12820 12 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It's a fun, challenging video mode that people seem to have a pretty difficult time picking up the first few times. Admittedly I've had my game for years and play the hell out of it but I'm still surprised how much people that don't play it regularly struggle to do well at it. I have also said this before but I think the scoring for this mode is way too high compared to most of the other illusions in the latest code, it's easy for me to get 200-300K points or more and an extra ball so if I have magicians choice and I've not played it yet I almost never choose anything else.

at the end, i also always get an EB with it... became easy in some way, but its only because you play it again & again, logical of course

#12821 12 days ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

at the end, i also always get an EB with it... became easy in some way, but its only because you play it again & again, logical of course

That's why I reduced the time of the mode. I think I reduced it about 20 seconds.

#12822 12 days ago
Quoted from GSones:

That's why I reduced the time of the mode. I think I reduced it about 20 seconds.

You can also reduce the number of throws the player gets

#12823 11 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Me too. I must add that the reboot occurred as both rings came from both sides heading towards the center of the screen and I made the first card shot as a double ring hit in the center of screen with the first card thrown from the right flipper. Was trying to do it for fun tonight but I noticed that the rings always come out randomly so the "setup" may not occur each time.

#12824 11 days ago

Help,I can’t hit anything,are there a pro tips?

#12825 11 days ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Shots or rings in the King of Cards video mode?

#12826 11 days ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Backhand the lock shot with your right flipper.

#12827 11 days ago
Quoted from rockrand:Help,I can’t hit anything,are there a pro tips?

Anything at ALL? Or just in King of Cards?

Make sure you check key posts in this thread for setup ideas - leveling, adjusting targets near the ramps, etc.

#12828 11 days ago

It helps a lot to catch the ball on the flipper and hit a more controlled shot.

#12829 11 days ago

I hit every shot, just a pity it's all posts.

#12830 11 days ago

Anyone with experience ordering parts from AP? I ordered a coil on Sunday and haven't heard anything back since. Just wondering what the normal time between ordering and shipping is...

*Never mind, they sent me tracking info literally 15 min after posting this. So 3 days I guess

#12831 11 days ago
Quoted from rockrand:

For king of cards

#12833 10 days ago

Key to king of cards is understanding that that you need to hold the flipper the right amount to get the needed height (lower hope, both hoops, upper, too high). First get the feel for the timing from press to release for the 'both' level, then work to find the spot on the curtain to start the press. Of course since the speed of the hoops changes as you make shots, you need to learn multiple spots in each direction for the different speeds.

Speaking of king of cards, just came across this early concept for it , of buckets moving on a conveyor belt. . .

pasted_image (resized).png

#12834 10 days ago

I kind of wish there was an option in the menu to play this mode and practice it more than once in a while in a game

#12835 10 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

Key to king of cards is understanding that that you need to hold the flipper the right amount to get the needed height (lower hope, both hoops, upper, too high). First get the feel for the timing from press to release for the 'both' level, then work to find the spot on the curtain to start the press. Of course since the speed of the hoops changes as you make shots, you need to learn multiple spots in each direction for the different speeds.

Thanks for the tips! I really enjoy this mode and appreciate the challenge of it. Probably my favorite video mode in all of pinball.

#12836 10 days ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I kind of wish there was an option in the menu to play this mode and practice it more than once in a while in a game

One thing many players don't realize is you have control over what stage act you get, even when it is not 'Magicians Choice'. The selected act is based now which act is being displayed on the screen when the stage is qualified. When you are one hit away, you can use the flippers to set up the stage act you want (typically you need to be one off since when you fire the flipper, you are going to move it one way or the other).

Keep in mind a clean shot to the 'key target' or a clean shot to the stage through 'stage alley' will qualify the stage with one shot.

Quoted from Gorgar123:

Thanks for the tips! I really enjoy this mode and appreciate the challenge of it. Probably my favorite video mode in all of pinball.

Thanks, I wanted to create one that required some skill development vs just learning a pattern or being able to flip really fast. I think the one in Oktoberfest also requires skill development and has a hurry up nature to it to create a bit more pressure in executing.

#12837 9 days ago

I agree that King Of Cards is my favorite video mode of any pin I have played. I even enjoyed verifying the reset bug on purpose last night just cause it caught me off guard the first time.

Now I will avoid this bug, especially if I have a great score going.

If someone is beating me, I can do a OOOPS! What just happened?? LOL

#12838 8 days ago

I miss my Houdini and the same time glad I sold it. I just got super frustrated with not being able to get the catapult right (spent several hours trying to tweak it). I was lucky to get 1/10 balls into the trunk. So I final had enough and sold it. I do miss it and the fantastic code that rosh provided, the comedy and all the modes. I think I’ll get another one day but I don’t have the room for it at the moment ;(

#12839 8 days ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I miss my Houdini and the same time glad I sold it. I just got super frustrated with not being able to get the catapult right (spent several hours trying to tweak it). I was lucky to get 1/10 balls into the trunk. So I final had enough and sold it. I do miss it and the fantastic code that rosh provided, the comedy and all the modes. I think I’ll get another one day but I don’t have the room for it at the moment ;(

That is unfortunate. Since I installed the coil kit and new power supply the ball has NEVER missed the trunk shot.

Hope your next one is set up better.

#12840 8 days ago

Yeah unfortunate.

Mine hasn't missed in hundreds of games.

Extremely stable with the cap upgrade.

#12841 7 days ago

No good that the trunk ball catch let you down so badly.
Mine gets the trunk every time but the ball hits the glass every time to. If I turn down the coil just one the ball doesn't make the trunk. I have fiddled around with the mounting of the catapult coil but no luck.

#12842 7 days ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:I miss my Houdini and the same time glad I sold it. I just got super frustrated with not being able to get the catapult right (spent several hours trying to tweak it). I was lucky to get 1/10 balls into the trunk. So I final had enough and sold it. I do miss it and the fantastic code that rosh provided, the comedy and all the modes. I think I’ll get another one day but I don’t have the room for it at the moment ;(

I understand why you sold Houdini. And i was in the fence to do the same. Glad I kept my Houdini and tweaked it alot and I found a solution for my Game to bei fun! Maybe you get a Chance to find a new one in the Future

#12843 7 days ago

Mine has ever missed with no cap upgrade!

#12844 7 days ago

I have one of the early run Houdini's with original power source etc. No electrical modifications and have no issues and catapult is consistent, flippers are fine and no issues with multiball play etc. However I think power into my house is consistent and I do have dedicated circuits and breakers for my pinball line. I have no more than 3-4 pins per circuit breaker. Added those pinball circuits when I had my electrical service upgraded at my house about 5 years back.

I think the consistency of power and draw on your circuits has a bearing on whether or not you experience a variance in how your game operates.

My game plays great and it's an early model. But as stated I have good clean dedicated line for power. Adjustments and set up I am sure are a factor too, but if you have good power your odds of things running consistently go up.

#12845 7 days ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

No good that the trunk ball catch let you down so badly.
Mine gets the trunk every time but the ball hits the glass every time to. If I turn down the coil just one the ball doesn't make the trunk. I have fiddled around with the mounting of the catapult coil but no luck.

What is the incline/pitch set at on your machine? I have no idea if setting it too steep would impact the flight of the ball, but it should be set at 6 degrees - which is a bit lower than most machines, but what the Houdini manual says. I find that I have zero problems with the game when it is set at the right pitch, leveled, and the coil power is dialed in.
Just a thought.

#12846 7 days ago

I did the fabric lining in my trunk some time ago. While the product I used is marketed as "felt" it is really an adhesive backed polyester product. It is real tough stuff that I expect to last for some time.

https://www.michaels.com/royal-blue-adhesive-felt-sheets/D011752S.html

#12847 7 days ago

I just love my Houdini, sure it misses the trunk sometimes, but I find that part of the appeal and charm of the machine. Never know what to expect. And more extra balls than a Russian weightlifter on steroids.
Mine is a keeper, will be going to the grave with me….

#12848 7 days ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I did the fabric lining in my trunk some time ago. While the product I used is marketed as "felt" it is really an adhesive backed polyester product. It is real tough stuff that I expect to last for some time.
https://www.michaels.com/royal-blue-adhesive-felt-sheets/D011752S.html

Just found a pack of the self adhesive felt for the trunk, which I never installed. Did you remove the trunk to install it, or is it easy enough to reach without disassembling the game?

#12849 7 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

What is the incline/pitch set at on your machine? I have no idea if setting it too steep would impact the flight of the ball, but it should be set at 6 degrees - which is a bit lower than most machines, but what the Houdini manual says. I find that I have zero problems with the game when it is set at the right pitch, leveled, and the coil power is dialed in.
Just a thought.

Thank you for that. I will check.

#12850 6 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just found a pack of the self adhesive felt for the trunk, which I never installed. Did you remove the trunk to install it, or is it easy enough to reach without disassembling the game?

Remove trunk for sure,easy ,screws on back!and I believe a coil underneath

There are 12919 posts in this topic. You are on page 257 of 259.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside