20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 256 of 297.
#12751 2 years ago
Quoted from nsmith:

I have a few friends that said I should have bought something else because the shots are too tight and it doesn't flow.

The tight shots feel so rewarding when you hit them. Every time I hit the lock shot I give myself a fist pump because it is very tight and feels so good to hit. And the ramp shot is so smooth and flows so well. If people say there is no flow then they haven't played it or not good enough to hit the ramp.

#12752 2 years ago
Quoted from nsmith:

, steam punk flippers,

What do they mean by "Steam Punk Flippers"? I saw that in the deluxe description and wasn't sure. Does'nt every games come with these flippers by default? Every standard houdini that I saw had theses flipper toppers...?

#12753 2 years ago
Quoted from nsmith:

Thank you everyone for all your input, I went ahead and just ordered the entire cliffy set for the machine. I dont mind the small price to pay for them to protect the playfield.
I purchased a deluxe model as it comes with the blades, topper, sub woofer, steam punk flippers, shaker motor and knocker and magic glass. Spent a bit more for it but I think it was well worth it. I also got the water cell and striaght jacket mods and Q the robot (what can I say I'm a geek and a magician too boot)Plastic protectors as well
other then those mods, what other mods are worth getting?
I have a few friends that said I should have bought something else because the shots are too tight and it doesn't flow. I have played the game on location and fell in love with it, I like the challenging shots and its a game I am sure I will not get tired of after a few plays. Yeah, its not for everyone but its for me

Input and opinions from your friends can be a good thing but you did the right thing and bought what YOU like which is definitely the correct thing to do unless you're just planning on trying to flip it right away which you are almost certainly not. Like Rdoyle1978 mine if a pretty early production game that I've played extensively and more often than not it's the game in my lineup I go to unless I just want to play one really quick game.

#12754 2 years ago
Quoted from nsmith:

shots are too tight and it doesn't flow.

The only shot to be adjusted is the standup targets that bracket the inner loop.

Simple to fix.

Remove each switch, elongate the hole sideways in the metal mounting bracket 1/8" to 3/16" so the switches can be slid sideways a bit away from the inner loop.

Mark the metal with a sharpie so you don't forget which side to cut.

The left switch is cut on the right edge of the hole. The right switch is cut on the left

Side drill or dremel for this. Dont relocate the screw hole in the wood, its too close.

Reinstall standup targets so they are well aside from the inner loop and dont interfere.

Opening up this lane a bit makes the important inner loop shot more accessable.

Other than that, the shots are a standard width.

They were never too tight.

1.5" to 2" lane widths are standard.

#12755 2 years ago
Quoted from nsmith:

what other mods are worth getting?

Make sure it has the capacitor mod and newer power supply.

EOS swtich kit i also think is important.

Droop the flipper bats 2mm or 1/8" downward from the factory setting.

This does not adversely affect any of the shots in the game.

This makes the milkcan shot more accessable.

Set the playfield pitch to 6.2 degrees.

Get it perfectly level side to side.

#12756 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Remove each switch, elongate the hole sideways in the metal mounting bracket 1/8" to 3/16" so the switches can be slid sideways a bit away from the inner loop.

Thanks for the instructions! I have only had the game for a few weeks, but that shot is really really tight. By looking at it, my right target looks fine as it is just outside the lane, but I think the left one could stand to be slid over a bit. Would you agree?

HIL (resized).jpgHIL (resized).jpg

#12757 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

Thanks for the instructions! I have only had the game for a few weeks, but that shot is really really tight. By looking at it, my right target looks fine as it is just outside the lane, but I think the left one could stand to be slid over a bit. Would you agree?
[quoted image]

I would adjust them both.

The left more than the right.

Basically slide the switches as far as the wood will allow.

On my left switch i used a small flat file to square off the playfield hole in the corner to get it to sit straight after it was moved.

And get another 1/16" of travel.

I think you will have to do the same.

Go slow and only cut in a downward motion. It took sbout 5 mins to square off the hole.

The same could be done on the right if needed on dme games.

#12758 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

[quoted image]

That might help a bit, but it’s the kind of shot but once you get it down, it’s not that hard to make. I find the only time I can’t make it is when it’s really critical for me to make it. Basically just the choke factor for me.

#12759 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

That might help a bit, but it’s the kind of shot but once you get it down, it’s not that hard to make. I find the only time I can’t make it is when it’s really critical for me to make it. Basically just the choke factor for me.

I put 300 games on mine before i decided to adjust it.

I felt that it didn't need to be an expert shot.

#12760 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

That might help a bit, but it’s the kind of shot but once you get it down, it’s not that hard to make.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping it was the game and not me, but I am pretty sure it is 90% me.

I would adjust them both.

I think I will put some more games on it and then give this a shot. At least then when I miss...I will know it is all me.

Thanks!

#12761 2 years ago
Quoted from nsmith:

Thank you everyone for all your input, I went ahead and just ordered the entire cliffy set for the machine. I dont mind the small price to pay for them to protect the playfield.
I purchased a deluxe model as it comes with the blades, topper, sub woofer, steam punk flippers, shaker motor and knocker and magic glass. Spent a bit more for it but I think it was well worth it. I also got the water cell and striaght jacket mods and Q the robot (what can I say I'm a geek and a magician too boot)Plastic protectors as well
other then those mods, what other mods are worth getting?
I have a few friends that said I should have bought something else because the shots are too tight and it doesn't flow. I have played the game on location and fell in love with it, I like the challenging shots and its a game I am sure I will not get tired of after a few plays. Yeah, its not for everyone but its for me

Copper plated rails, look back a few pages.

#12762 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

[quoted image]

Just learn to backhand it and be able to post pass from left to right, you'll be fine.

#12763 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Just learn to backhand it and be able to post pass from left to right, you'll be fine.

Wait, you can backhand the trunk ball lock shot? I have yet to successfully hit that with a backhand.

#12764 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I had no idea that was even possible.

I just tried it and made about 1 out of 10...which is around the same percentage that I make from the left flipper.

#12765 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Wait, you can backhand the trunk ball lock shot? I have yet to successfully hit that with a backhand.

Trust me, keep practicing it and you'll find it much easier and, more importantly, safer to hit backhanding it from the right. Very first time I played the game was at a show when it was brand new, AP rep told me to backhand it, I thought they were shitting me but nope.

#12766 2 years ago

so guys - Removed the AP coil improvement fix board and installed the new (TNA) Power Filter Boardfrom Spooky in my Houdini....

I'm really happy with the results - all Coils work flawless and the game is stable during long gameplay!
Also the flipper power is pretty constant and now the scoops kicks the ball out at the firt attemp.

But I have to adjust the EOS better -still struggling with it. - Maybe you can help me

Here is how i did the change:

1. Cut the brown power cables (two) from door to playfield plug and crimped it with two "2pin IDC-End-Connector Heat Stabilized AWG 18 .156" for power input
2. Took all "power grounds" together and crimped two new cables (AWG 18) with "2pin IDC-End-Connector Heat Stabilized AWG 18 .156" for "related" ground
3. For power output and ground output its the same way but with the already but with the already cut and existing cables....

Hope the pictures will help.

If you habe any questions - feel free to ask or contact me.

IMG_20210706_193220 (resized).jpgIMG_20210706_193220 (resized).jpgIMG_20210706_194930 (resized).jpgIMG_20210706_194930 (resized).jpgIMG_20210706_194936 (resized).jpgIMG_20210706_194936 (resized).jpgIMG_20210706_194950 (resized).jpgIMG_20210706_194950 (resized).jpg
#12767 2 years ago

Had a Houdini delivered yesterday, with the new upgraded components. (Build date is May 2021)

Also checked, and found EOS switches on the flippers and coil improvement as well. However the power supply has a slightly disconcerting noise coming out of it.

Attaching photos so you can see the new subwoofer and new power supply.

20210706_111505 (resized).jpg20210706_111505 (resized).jpg20210706_111524 (resized).jpg20210706_111524 (resized).jpg

#12768 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyHomeBrew:

power supply has a slightly disconcerting noise coming out of it.

Fan noise?

#12769 2 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

so guys - Removed the AP coil improvement fix board and installed the new (TNA) Power Filter Boardfrom Spooky in my Houdini....
I'm really happy with the results - all Coils work flawless and the game is stable during long gameplay!
Also the flipper power is pretty constant and now the scoops kicks the ball out at the firt attemp.
But I have to adjust the EOS better -still struggling with it. - Maybe you can help me
Here is how i did the change:
1. Cut the brown power cables (two) from door to playfield plug and crimped it with two "2pin IDC-End-Connector Heat Stabilized AWG 18 .156" for power input
2. Took all "power grounds" together and crimped two new cables (AWG 18) with "2pin IDC-End-Connector Heat Stabilized AWG 18 .156" for "related" ground
3. For power output and ground output its the same way but with the already but with the already cut and existing cables....
Hope the pictures will help.
If you habe any questions - feel free to ask or contact me.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nicely done!

4 caps gotta be better than one!

#12770 2 years ago

Had a Houdini delivered yesterday, with the new upgraded components. (Build date is May 2021)
Also checked, and found EOS switches on the flippers and coil improvement as well. However the power supply has a slightly disconcerting noise coming out of it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thats it, Im cutting a hole in the bottom of my cab!

FOMO wins.... lol.

#12771 2 years ago

Nice! Would you mind posting your serial number just for my curiosity's sake?

#12772 2 years ago

Get it perfectly level side to side.</blockquote

Get it perfectly level side to side.

yes, the one that I am getting comes with the new power supply and and Capacitors

thanks for the heads up

#12773 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

What do they mean by "Steam Punk Flippers"? I saw that in the deluxe description and wasn't sure. Does'nt every games come with these flippers by default? Every standard houdini that I saw had theses flipper toppers...?

the standard flippers do not have the Steam Punk mod on them, or at least I dont think they do
the mod looks like this
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#12774 2 years ago

No, it's a very annoying high pitched friction-y sound. Doesn't sound healthy. I sent a 10 sec video of the sound to American Pinball, asking if that was a normal sound, cause to me it's not.

#12775 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

It's the only way I can get that shot with some regularity.

#12776 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

I had no idea that was even possible.
I just tried it and made about 1 out of 10...which is around the same percentage that I make from the left flipper.

I get the opposite.

#12777 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

It’s definitely possible, but the machine has to be really set up precisely - I used to be able to backhand it almost every single time,
But moved the machine a while ago and the level is slightly off - and I can’t hit it regularly anymore.

That said, I can hit the inner loop pretty regularly coming off the ramp or just down the inlane. It does take practice !

#12778 2 years ago
Quoted from nsmith:

the standard flippers do not have the Steam Punk mod on them, or at least I dont think they do
the mod looks like this
[quoted image]

They are standard flipper toppers for Houdini and any new one should have them, or at least they used to.

#12779 2 years ago

No, it's a very annoying high pitched friction-y sound. Doesn't sound healthy. I sent a 10 sec video of the sound to American Pinball, asking if that was a normal sound, cause to me it's not.

Maybe the fan or something else moved a little during shipping and it's rubbing on something? Have you tried pushing on the case around the fan outlet to see if it changes? Regardless I'm sure the AP folks will get you and your game fixed up ASAP.

#12780 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

They are standard flipper toppers for Houdini and any new one should have them, or at least they used to.

Yeah that's what I thougt, never seen one without. Hope it hasen't been removed from the newer "standard" tho. I'm planning on purchasing one and got no real interest in the Deluxe exept the blades.

#12781 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Maybe the fan or something else moved a little during shipping and it's rubbing on something? Have you tried pushing on the case around the fan outlet to see if it changes? Regardless I'm sure the AP folks will get you and your game fixed up ASAP.

Dave from American Pinball got back to me with some options including sending me a new power supply, but I think I will replace the fan with a better quality one.

I have to say I am very impressed with the quick and helpful customer service at American Pinball.

I'm also pretty happy with my Houdini, I think its my favorite game in my collection (of six).

#12782 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s definitely possible, but the machine has to be really set up precisely - I used to be able to backhand it almost every single time,
But moved the machine a while ago and the level is slightly off - and I can’t hit it regularly anymore.
That said, I can hit the inner loop pretty regularly coming off the ramp or just down the inlane. It does take practice !

I tried to hit it with the backhand a hundred times or so last night. I even took the glass off so I can set the ball on the right flipper and try. It is a no go. The closest I can come to is rattling it in there mostly coming off the left stand up target, but it doesn't have enough to get around. I tried different flipper strength, I have it perfectly level, I might try to adjust my flipper bats. Currently my playfield is around 6.2 degrees at the flippers. I did backhand it by accident but the ball was off the flipper when I did it. I would really like to backhand it from a cradle position. Any other ideas?

#12783 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Yeah that's what I thougt, never seen one without. Hope it hasen't been removed from the newer "standard" tho. I'm planning on purchasing one and got no real interest in the Deluxe exept the blades.

The shaker is a must have, its perfectly optimized on this game.

The real knocker is amazing! Bullet catch with the hardware knocker is insane!

#12784 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I tried to hit it with the backhand a hundred times or so last night. I even took the glass off so I can set the ball on the right flipper and try. It is a no go. The closest I can come to is rattling it in there mostly coming off the left stand up target, but it doesn't have enough to get around. I tried different flipper strength, I have it perfectly level, I might try to adjust my flipper bats. Currently my playfield is around 6.2 degrees at the flippers. I did backhand it by accident but the ball was off the flipper when I did it. I would really like to backhand it from a cradle position. Any other ideas?

Are you hitting the flipper button when the ball will just clear the bottom post for the right sling? You can try pushing the standup target to the left of the loop entrance a little farther left but other than that I've never had to do anything else for mine to cleanly make it easily around and my PF is about 6.7 degrees as that's how I like it to play, flatter should make it easier.

39:52 of this video has a great example of bh-ing that shot from a cradle: https://www.twitch.tv/deadflip/video/1073930932

#12785 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Are you hitting the flipper button when the ball will just clear the bottom post for the right sling? You can try pushing the standup target to the left of the loop entrance a little farther left but other than that I've never had to do anything else for mine to cleanly make it easily around and my PF is about 6.7 degrees as that's how I like it to play, flatter should make it easier.
39:52 of this video has a great example of bh-ing that shot from a cradle: https://www.twitch.tv/deadflip/video/1073930932

Just move the left target over to make the loop more accessible.

Bending it works, but looks wonky.

#12786 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Your pitch seems right. Post a photo of the targets around the inner loop; you may want to adjust those.

It’s not EASY to backhand the shot for sure - you have to clear the sling and basically shoot it straight as an arrow. Make sure your game is SUPER level left to right (and I mean use PinGuy or an actual level)

Also, have you dropped your flippers by about 1/8” ? That also makes the milk can a bit easier

#12787 2 years ago

Theres a nut stuck to the speaker!

It would be good to see what it fell off of.

Might be important.

#12788 2 years ago

I just happened upon this recent (7/2/21) video of Jack Danger streaming Houdini, it's not terribly informative for someone trying to learn the game because Jack is "just chatting" and doesn't really know the game plus the lower catapult is missing more than it's hitting and obviously needs to be adjusted. However it is pretty entertaining to read the comments and listen to Jack's banter with the game. One moment I love, because it happens to me so much, is when he's trying to hit SEANCE targets to return from beyond and just keeps hitting all the actual lanes / loops / ramps instead of the stand-ups, his exasperation from this I know all too well. I also noticed that at some point the stage LCD screen stops working and he doesn't even seem to notice.

#12789 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I just happened upon this recent (7/2/21) video of Jack Danger streaming Houdini, it's not terribly informative for someone trying to learn the game because Jack is "just chatting" and doesn't really know the game...

may be i can redo an explicative (with adding text on screen) video of mine, but with this angle not sure it will really help !?

#12790 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

One moment I love, because it happens to me so much, is when he's trying to hit SEANCE targets to return from beyond and just keeps hitting all the actual lanes / loops / ramps instead of the stand-ups, his exasperation from this I know all too well.

That inner loop and ramp shots become massively wide when in return from beyond or seance, especially when going for the super jackpot

#12791 2 years ago

No points from the left orbit shot!

Hey anyone know if your meant to receive scoring points when the ball shots up the left orbit? I receive no points when I hit the left orbit when playing Houdini. I've gone into switch test mode and both switches at the entrance of the left orbit lane are working?

Cheers

#12792 2 years ago
Quoted from MegadethHangar18:

No points from the left orbit shot!
Hey anyone know if your meant to receive scoring points when the ball shots up the left orbit? I receive no points when I hit the left orbit when playing Houdini. I've gone into switch test mode and both switches at the entrance of the left orbit lane are working?
Cheers

Check the switch in the back of the orbit, I don't believe it counts the orbit as made until that's closed as well.

#12793 2 years ago

Ahaaaa, I’ve got it. Balcer and Kugler spelt backwards on the safe in the top left corner of the back glass. You cheekie pair of rapscallions…..

Mind you if this has already been seen then I’ll just skulk back into my corner…and assume the foetal position.

4777349F-CD1A-415F-9DFF-16B4F1BCE618 (resized).jpeg4777349F-CD1A-415F-9DFF-16B4F1BCE618 (resized).jpeg

#12794 2 years ago

Cool find,I was wondering what those steins meant in Oktoberfest!

#12795 2 years ago

My Houdini is leaving the factory today, should have it by Thursday
is it Thursday yet LOL

#12796 2 years ago
Quoted from nsmith:

My Houdini is leaving the factory today, should have it by Thursday
is it Thursday yet LOL

How long has the process taken you to get a new pin?

#12797 2 years ago

I have some issues with the lower catapult. When I start playing the trunk gets perfectly hit. But after some time the balls start missing the trunk and hit the backboard on the right side of the trunk.

The replacement power supply and the additional capacitor for the flipper fingers are installed. If I use the factory settings, the ball will never reach the trunk. I had to increase the coil power by 2. The machine is perfectly leveled at 6.2 degrees.

I still see the issue on my machine that the flippers lose power from time to time maybe because but I didn't get an EOS kit in Germany yet. Maybe the catapult issue is related. On the other hand, the catapult doesn't seem to lose power. the strength seems to be sufficient. The ball simply moves to the right and misses the trunk. Any ideas?

#12798 2 years ago
Quoted from mk47:

I have some issues with the lower catapult. When I start playing the trunk gets perfectly hit. But after some time the balls start missing the trunk and hit the backboard on the right side of the trunk.
The replacement power supply and the additional capacitor for the flipper fingers are installed. If I use the factory settings, the ball will never reach the trunk. I had to increase the coil power by 2. The machine is perfectly leveled at 6.2 degrees.
I still see the issue on my machine that the flippers lose power from time to time maybe because but I didn't get an EOS kit in Germany yet. Maybe the catapult issue is related. On the other hand, the catapult doesn't seem to lose power. the strength seems to be sufficient. The ball simply moves to the right and misses the trunk. Any ideas?

First I would check the mounting of the catapult under the playfield. A small number of Pinsiders have adjusted this so that the ball enters the trunk more consistently

#12799 2 years ago
Quoted from mk47:

Install the EOS switches - you can Buy them easy and solder it. It's a 15 minutes Job.

I also added a bigger capacitator Kit from spooky and also use the old Transformer Power supply directly for a PD-16 Line. These fixes helped me to get the perfect gameplay and all coils Work with constant power

#12800 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

First I would check the mounting of the catapult under the playfield. A small number of Pinsiders have adjusted this so that the ball enters the trunk more consistently

I'll check it again. One more thing I noticed is that I can't test the trunk catapult shot anymore with the latest software. In test mode when the trunk is missed it stays open and the game resets. During the game the trunk closes after a miss.

Quoted from MightyGrave:

Install the EOS switches - you can Buy them easy and solder it. It's a 15 minutes Job.

I'll do and just ordered standard Williams ones.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 256 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/256?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.