IMG_0432 (resized).jpg
IMG_0433 (resized).jpg
IMG_6187 (resized).jpg
16505746362391070303208000734470 (resized).jpg
C6A3E372-19AE-4810-8317-09EAAE5981E3 (resized).png
0865FFE1-C0FE-4443-8E57-04555F7D9E04 (resized).jpeg
A8BEE6B7-1B7E-48B8-A1AB-45EB83E59CFF (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

40 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,888 posts in this topic. You are on page 254 of 278.
#12651 11 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Send PM's to rosh , Ferret , Vegas9 , or brenna98 . Encourage them to post here and a service bulletin on their website.
The audio stuff already in there, isn't there a female jack for a sub ?
LTG : )

I was hoping for a retrofit kit ?

Bacically cut the hole, install kit, plug in and enjoy !

Its not that I cant do it anyway with adapter plates and a pinwoofer setup.

I just wanted to throw my money in API's direction first if I could.

Houdini is just such a perfect game now.

I really plays strong and fast with very few problems.

As I said before this game is world class and worth adding to any collection.

#12652 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I was hoping for a retrofit kit ?

I know. PM them here and contact them on the website.

Never hurts to ask. Enough interest they may do it, if not already in their plans.

Ask them nice enough and they might include the hole too !

#12653 11 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

I know. PM them here and contact them on the website.
Never hurts to ask. Enough interest they may do it, if not already in their plans.
Ask them nice enough and they might include the hole too !

Great Idea!

Thanks Lloyd, you're the best as always!

#12654 11 months ago

Hard to ship the hole, everything else in the box falls out.

#12655 11 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Hard to ship the hole, everything else in the box falls out.

LOL!

Drill pilot hole, Jigsaw, template, countersunk retainer bolts, install woofer, 2 connections, done! What do I win?

#12656 11 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LOL!
Drill pilot hole, Jigsaw, template, countersunk retainer bolts, install woofer, 2 connections, done! What do I win?

too many steps, bad move human.

Mark dot, drill with holesaw. Fit hole that came in the box.

#12657 11 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LOL!

Quoted from punkin:

too many steps, bad move human.
Mark dot, drill with holesaw. Fit hole that came in the box.

LMFAO....!

#12658 11 months ago

wolftownjeff came over to my house yesterday and played my Houdini. He asked me if I had the latest code. I said I did. He said that my game loses track of the balls when the second ball goes into the lock on left below the ramp just like his does. I believe I sent some audit files to rosh a few times.

Is this something others are still getting? Is there a way to fix this? Or will a code fix need to be done? Every time this happens, I go into test mode and all the lock switches register correctly.

#12659 11 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

wolftownjeff came over to my house yesterday and played my Houdini. He asked me if I had the latest code. I said I did. He said that my game loses track of the balls when the second ball goes into the lock on left below the ramp just like his does. I believe I sent some audit files to rosh a few times.
Is this something others are still getting? Is there a way to fix this? Or will a code fix need to be done? Every time this happens, I go into test mode and all the lock switches register correctly.

mine will do this very very VERY occasionally. I am reasonably sure it is due to the left lock switches - sometimes they do not all seem to trigger. The ball sits slightly askew of the switch, and I've bent it down (very carefully!) and tried to bend in the ball guide a bit to line the ball up. Seems to have helped

#12660 11 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I haven't seen any ball tracking issues in the latest release at all (knock on wood).

#12661 11 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The ball sits slightly askew of the switch, and I've bent it down (very carefully!) and tried to bend in the ball guide a bit to line the ball up. Seems to have helped

^^ This
And i'll add to test any adjustments in switch test several times by rolling the ball into the locks and checking that your adjustments are giving consistent switch closures.

#12662 11 months ago
Quoted from jguzik420:

Any new toppers being as well? Thanks in advance

Stay tuned. I need to make a video and written instructions for the install.

#12663 11 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:Is this something others are still getting? Is there a way to fix this? Or will a code fix need to be done? Every time this happens, I go into test mode and all the lock switches register correctly.

I'll see if I can replicate it. When testing the switches, be sure to move the balls left and right to be use they register regardless of how they are stacked. The latest code will keep balls there more frequently, so that might be highlighting a switch issue or maybe there is a code issue. When I have chance I'll see if I can replicate it.

#12664 11 months ago
Quoted from brenna98:

^^ This
And i'll add to test any adjustments in switch test several times by rolling the ball into the locks and checking that your adjustments are giving consistent switch closures.

And if you have some free time, maybe a write up on installing the Houdini subwoofer kit (to be announced in the future), maybe....

#12665 11 months ago

My wife and I don't agree on many pins, but we both agree Houdini is a masterpiece. So many fun modes! I really believe this is the one pin that will remain constant in our small collection.

For whatever reason any power issues I had in the past are gone and the flippers are strong as could be. Glad to see power supply changes and subwoofer is interesting as well. If I could make any suggestion for next round super deluxe version... use Titan competition rings, in the end most people just swap them out anyway. And use warm white bulbs, they really look best on a game like this.

Possibly my favorite cheap "mod" are the eye blockers. I also wrapped the backboard LEDs with a film to tone down the brightness of the cool white.

H (resized).jpg

#12666 11 months ago
Quoted from MMP:

My wife and I don't agree on many pins, but we both agree Houdini is a masterpiece. So many fun modes! I really believe this is the one pin that will remain constant in our small collection.
For whatever reason any power issues I had in the past are gone and the flippers are strong as could be. Glad to see power supply changes and subwoofer is interesting as well. If I could make any suggestion for next round super deluxe version... use Titan competition rings, in the end most people just swap them out anyway. And use warm white bulbs, they really look best on a game like this.
Possibly my favorite cheap "mod" are the eye blockers. I also wrapped the backboard LEDs with a film to tone down the brightness of the cool white.
[quoted image]

What are eye blockers?

#12667 11 months ago

Oh, I see unfortunately this is not showing up in the shops at the moment.
Houdini eyelight block foam

I had purchased these from HDMIKE444 and its a simple made self adhesive circle foam strip that just lets light through the center so only Houdini's pupils are lit, rather than the entire round insert.

#12668 11 months ago
Quoted from MMP:

Oh, I see unfortunately this is not showing up in the shops at the moment.
Houdini eyelight block foam
I had purchased these from HDMIKE444 and its a simple made self adhesive circle foam strip that just lets light through the center so only Houdini's pupils are lit, rather than the entire round insert.

I bought and installed these too. One of the cheapest and easiest to install mods in pinball. Once you see the difference, it really stands out. Not sure if he's still making them but you could make your own set too.

#12669 11 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Yes, mine has exactly the same problem. I've messed around with it with my limited knowledge and had two different techs come out and look at it, no one's been able to figure it out. I can say for sure that it wasn't always doing that, so maybe just a very tricky switch issue.

#12670 11 months ago

So hope all you guys still enjoy houdini.

I want to modify my power input a bit more - so I ordered and received the "Total Nuclear Annihilation Power Filter Board Assembly".

I' give it a try and would like to bring a bit more buffer and boost to the game and also stabalize all coils.

Here is how I would like to do it and I would ask if I'm right this way.

The API Coil performance kit is a nice to have but maybe not needed anymore when the TNA board works for me.

Hope for your feedback!

HD1 (resized).JPG
#12671 11 months ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

I want to modify my power input a bit more - so I ordered and received the "Total Nuclear Annihilation Power Filter Board Assembly".
I' give it a try and would like to bring a bit more buffer and boost to the game and also stabalize all coils.
The API Coil performance kit is a nice to have but maybe not needed anymore when the TNA board works for me.
Hope for your feedback! [quoted image]

Thats a serious cspacitor board!

I imagine nothing but positive results with that.

#12672 11 months ago

Let me know how it goes. The random flipper power can be really frustrating on a game that demands precision.

#12673 11 months ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Yes, mine has exactly the same problem. I've messed around with it with my limited knowledge and had two different techs come out and look at it, no one's been able to figure it out. I can say for sure that it wasn't always doing that, so maybe just a very tricky switch issue.

I roll balls into it during test mode and test it every time I play (which is less and less since I want to play - not test) and the switches register every time.

when it happens and I am playing, I stop and go into test mode and both balls (usually two balls in the lock) are registered.

#12674 11 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I roll balls into it during test mode and test it every time I play (which is less and less since I want to play - not test) and the switches register every time.
when it happens and I am playing, I stop and go into test mode and both balls (usually two balls in the lock) are registered.

Not sure if this may help. Check the wires and soldering on the top of the switch on lock 3. The orange wire on Mine became frayed and slightly came away from the connector.

#12675 11 months ago

Has anyone had an issue with the Milk Can loop where the ball essentially go in and then manages to spin back out of the entrance? The flipper strength is where it should be (i.e. it's at the factory default and any lower it's not going to make the top loop). I'm thinking either trying additional wax or putting a small wedge on the rail so that it can't go back up. Any thoughts?

#12676 11 months ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:Has anyone had an issue with the Milk Can loop where the ball essentially go in and then manages to spin back out of the entrance? The flipper strength is where it should be (i.e. it's at the factory default and any lower it's not going to make the top loop). I'm thinking either trying additional wax or putting a small wedge on the rail so that it can't go back up. Any thoughts?

Does it happen every time? Some people have put some of that dead drop foam in there (maybe velcro would work too) and it grabs the ball better

#12677 11 months ago

Does anyone know where to buy the drop dead foam? I would like to put some in the back of the stage as well.

#12678 11 months ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Does anyone know where to buy the drop dead foam? I would like to put some in the back of the stage as well.

It won't help the stage.

Ive done extensive work on this.

The only thing i have come up with to eliminate stage rejects is to hinge the back wall as a mechanical inertia dampener.

Something like the new inertia dampener being made for the IJ mode hole rejects.

Its simple and elegant in its design and works very well.

The problem is that there are very few durable products that eliminate bounce effectively in such a small space.

Plumbers putty works very well but is not durable at all.

Ive tried it.

Now we need to get a game over to Ricochet for him to work on it.

His design has huge implications for future pinball applications.

#12679 11 months ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Has anyone had an issue with the Milk Can loop where the ball essentially go in and then manages to spin back out of the entrance? The flipper strength is where it should be (i.e. it's at the factory default and any lower it's not going to make the top loop). I'm thinking either trying additional wax or putting a small wedge on the rail so that it can't go back up. Any thoughts?

I put a four round pieces of the soft sided velcro (self adhesive on other side) that are nearly the same size as the metal strip in a row in there. This has helped.

#12681 11 months ago

Nice Vid!

And such a handsome young man (with very fast hands evidently).

Im hoping that this is a precursor to the "Adding a subwoofer" video from the factory kit (thats yet to be announced).

#12682 11 months ago

I didn't know if it was possible to earn two Great Jail Escapes in one game, but I found out it is, and I completed both. The second I finished just as I drained my final ball. It awarded 18 million plus. That gave me a new Grand Champion score of 29 million, and most efficient magician. I guess we can assume you can get a 2nd movie binge as well.

#12683 11 months ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Hope for your feedback! [quoted image]

MightGrave,

You might want to reach out to Meanwell and ask about large capacitance loads and if the power supply can handle it. I looked up the Meanwell supply and I didn't see any comments about max load capacitance on the RSP-750-48, but some switching supplies spec a max cap rating. Can cause power supply instabilities or maybe in-rush current issues.

Wouldn't hurt to check w/Meanwell just to be on the safe side.

#12684 11 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

MightGrave,
You might want to reach out to Meanwell and ask about large capacitance loads and if the power supply can handle it. I looked up the Meanwell supply and I didn't see any comments about max load capacitance on the RSP-750-48, but some switching supplies spec a max cap rating. Can cause power supply instabilities or maybe in-rush current issues.
Wouldn't hurt to check w/Meanwell just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the Input mbwalker.
I hope it works, cause in spooky machines and Stern machines there are also these capacitator boards installed.
Bit I will contact meanwell.

So I hope my wiring diagramm will be fine?! I will put the board after the Coindoorswitch and 4-Pin connector (back of the playfield) for the PD-16 boards.

#12685 11 months ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Thanks for the Input mbwalker.
I hope it works, cause in spooky machines and Stern machines there are also these capacitator boards installed.
Bit I will contact meanwell.
So I hope my wiring diagramm will be fine?! I will put the board after the Coindoorswitch and 4-Pin connector (back of the playfield) for the PD-16 boards.

Maybe the AP EE's can chime in. Don't want to steer you wrong nor second guess AP's insight. Just something to consider (too much capacitance) that might cause a hiccup. That's all.

Do you know what power supply Spooky uses?

#12686 11 months ago

mbwalker

All fine - i appreciate your Input. I think we all want the best experiance with the game and "tweak it" without damage.

Spooky useses a Meanwell SE-600-48.

RSP-750-48 (resized).pngSE-600-48 (resized).png
#12687 11 months ago
Quoted from GSones:

I bought and installed these too. One of the cheapest and easiest to install mods in pinball. Once you see the difference, it really stands out. Not sure if he's still making them but you could make your own set too.

Can anyone share a photo of what these mods look like? Doesn't appear that Mike is selling them anymore and I'd love to make a set for my Houdini.

#12688 11 months ago
Quoted from Jonathan007:

Can anyone share a photo of what these mods look like? Doesn't appear that Mike is selling them anymore and I'd love to make a set for my Houdini.

Here are couple of pics...

1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg

#12689 11 months ago
Quoted from MMP:

Here are couple of pics...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I have a Mirco playfield in mine and don't think it needs these eye black-out inserts as the actual inserts are different between the two.

#12690 11 months ago

i am picking up a houdini this saturday in a honda pilot if it doesnt fit is it easy o take the back box off?

#12691 11 months ago
Quoted from robotron:

i am picking up a houdini this saturday in a honda pilot if it doesnt fit is it easy o take the back box off?

My buddy has a Honda pilot and it EASILY fits a folded pin. However if you really had to take the head off, yes it should be pretty quick.

#12692 11 months ago
Quoted from robotron:

I use Hotwheels in this example, but the process is basically the same.

#12693 11 months ago

thank you pin-pals for the pinformation

#12695 10 months ago

Now that spooky announced the next game, I need a new speculation thread. When could we see an American pinball announcement ?

#12696 10 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Now that spooky announced the next game, I need a new speculation thread. When could we see an American pinball announcement ?

No announcement needed.

Its gonna be The Green Hornet !

https://observer.com/2020/04/green-hornet-kato-movie-universal-pictures/

#12697 10 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Let me see if I can spin up the Spooky guys in this thread about what the title is...

Nightmare on Elm Street.

#12698 10 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Let me see if I can spin up the Spooky guys in this thread...
Nightmare on Elm Street.

Dont even kid about that.

#12699 10 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Dont even kid about that.

LOL, couldn't resist!

#12700 10 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Let me see if I can spin up the Spooky guys in this thread about what the title is...
Nightmare on Elm Street.

Halloween is the next spooky game

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,244.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 45.00
$ 7,814.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 13,888 posts in this topic. You are on page 254 of 278.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!