20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 253 of 297.
#12601 2 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

How about the seance multiball "shoot the targets in order". I've only come close one time (at least that I'm aware of). Anybody ever get this one?

Yes, a few times, and it is a big payoff, but almost impossible for the first jackpot, as the balls getting put into play will collect letters. After first jackpot, cradle a ball and …

#12602 2 years ago

Do you get a lot airballs? My flippers are set at 22 and I get quite a few airballs.

#12603 2 years ago

@ zahner

Shooting Seance in order - I have done them in order about once also .

#12604 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

@ zahner
Shooting Seance in order - I have done them in order about once also .

Count me in for once at best, over a year ago older code.

#12605 2 years ago

Tommy Davis, aka the Great Bromo, was escaping from a water torture cell of sorts as early as 1916. As The Great Bromo (king of mystery) Handcuff Expert - Prison Breaker. “The Greatest Colored Performer In Vaudeville”
BTW there is an anecdote that black magician Wilmont Barclay, born in Jamaica, used the term "escape artist" prior to Houdini, and allegedly taught Houdini his first handcuff escapes in 1895.
photo by James Van Der Zee, 1924

Tommy Davis (resized).pngTommy Davis (resized).png
#12606 2 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Tommy Davis, aka the Great Bromo, was escaping from a water torture cell of sorts as early as 1916. As The Great Bromo (king of mystery) Handcuff Expert - Prison Breaker. “The Greatest Colored Performer In Vaudeville”
BTW there is an anecdote that black magician Wilmont Barclay, born in Jamaica, used the term "escape artist" prior to Houdini, and allegedly taught Houdini his first handcuff escapes in 1895.
photo by James Van Der Zee, 1924[quoted image]

That’s cool

#12607 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Damn, come home after being away for two weeks and jonesing to play Houdini but the 5VDC is dead so the P3-Roc board is incommunicado. Looks like they use a sealed DC-DC converter for both the 5 and 12 VDC, time to work on that google-fu. I did open a support case and e-mail Dave / Service as well just for the fun of it but since the 12 VDC works I'm pretty confident this is the problem.

Curious how this was resolved? I think I have the same problem.

#12608 2 years ago

That's a cool piece of history. I've read a few Houdini biographies and had not heard that. Magicians have borrowed, stolen and stood on the shoulders of others that came before them. I have performed professionally as a magician so I'm a bit of a magic history buff. Magicians today have this "honor code" where you make sure to credit the any ideas that you build upon. But back in the days of vaudeville, magicians would ruthlessly steal each others secrets. The book "Hiding The Elephant" is a great read on the history of the great innovations and secrets of magic.

#12609 2 years ago

Hi, looking for a little guidance. I just picked up a Houdini, the game is amazing. I seem to have everything set up correctly except the flippers seem low / don’t flip up high enough to actually cradle the ball. This seems to make the milk can shot close to impossible.

I haven’t had to adjust the flippers previously, but based on what I’ve read I should stick toothpicks in the holes on the play field and basically have the flippers just above / rest on these? Is this correct? Currently the holes are cover by the flippers at rest.

Additionally, is this the one screw I need to loosen / tighten to allow it to be adjusted? Thanks

3530A4EA-510F-4A31-9975-20887D04A615 (resized).jpeg3530A4EA-510F-4A31-9975-20887D04A615 (resized).jpeg4EB79BA3-0C9B-4FFF-8229-2AE1E775BA15 (resized).jpeg4EB79BA3-0C9B-4FFF-8229-2AE1E775BA15 (resized).jpeg
#12610 2 years ago

The center of the flipper should be lined up with the holes. People have lowered them to make the milkcan a little easier. Yours look like they are where they should be.

#12611 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Additionally, is this the one screw I need to loosen / tighten to allow it to be adjusted? Thanks

That is the one. your flippers - set them any way you like to help you.

I would loosen a tiny bit, so that you can barely turn the flipper bat, it stays put. That way you can set it where you want it, yet not effect the up and down play of the flipper and retighten it.

Too loose and the pawl can move up and down and when you retighten it you need to leave a tiny bit of up and down play. ( up and down, not back and forth )

This video will help.

LTG : )

#12613 2 years ago

Thank you for the quick replies and the help. Really appreciate it

#12614 2 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Curious how this was resolved? I think I have the same problem.

I posted the resolution in this thread, the sealed converter was bad. I found the exact same one on eBay relatively cheap and replaced it myself. Since then brenna98 has said they can sell you the part or a replacement unit (I think, have to look it up again). If you're handy you should have no problem also replacing it, if not open a support ticket and reach out to Dave to purchase a replacement (assuming it's out of warranty).

#12615 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I posted the resolution in this thread, the sealed converter was bad. I found the exact same one on eBay relatively cheap and replaced it myself. Since then brenna98 has said they can sell you the part or a replacement unit (I think, have to look it up again). If you're handy you should have no problem also replacing it, if not open a support ticket and reach out to Dave to purchase a replacement (assuming it's out of warranty).

Cool thanks!

#12616 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Curious if anyone has gone the route of replacing the OG power supply with a new switching dual 5V 12V supply? How much current does it need at each voltage? I have the 48V switching supply already.

Edit: I spoke to Dave and he said Antek has been good about sending a replacement for the 5V 12V converter on the OG supply. Plan B is to replace it entirely with a 5V 5A + 12V 8A supply.

Added over 3 years ago:

2nd Update: I just got off the phone with John at AnTek and he was extremely helpful and is sending me a new 5V 12V converter assy drop in replacement. Good to see customer service is still alive in America.

1 week later
#12617 2 years ago

I got the error message " Connection to P#-roc or other system board has failed, check power connections"

I pulled out most of the connectors on the boards under the playfield, left side, and reconnected. That worked, but the problem recurs.

I have the original power supply installed, but have a 50V available.

Should I focus on cleaning certain connectors? would swapping power supplies be advised?
Thanks,

#12618 2 years ago

New owner here. Where do you get parts for this game? Specifically, the small black plastic cylinder that goes through the coil of the scoop lockout? Mine is broken and apparently been glued by previous owners. I also am looking for the flipper toppers. I've reached out to AP but haven't heard back yet and the game is basically a giant paper weight without the working scoop. Thanks for the help.

#12619 2 years ago
Quoted from gibsonrd:

Where do you get parts for this game?

Contact https://www.american-pinball.com/

#12620 2 years ago
Quoted from mark-g:

I pulled out most of the connectors on the boards under the playfield, left side, and reconnected. That worked, but the problem recurs.

Quoted from gibsonrd:

I've reached out to AP

Contact brenna98 send him a PM.

#12621 2 years ago
Quoted from mark-g:

I got the error message " Connection to P#-roc or other system board has failed, check power connections"
I have the original power supply installed, but have a 50V available.
Should I focus on cleaning certain connectors? would swapping power supplies be advised?
Thanks,

The next time the problem happens check to see if the boards on the left side of the cabinet bottom have all the LEDs lit on them or not. Also double check that the connections to the existing power supply are secure, you can try wiggling the harness a little and see if you reproduce the issue.

#12622 2 years ago
Quoted from gibsonrd:

New owner here. Where do you get parts for this game? Specifically, the small black plastic cylinder that goes through the coil of the scoop lockout? Mine is broken and apparently been glued by previous owners. I also am looking for the flipper toppers. I've reached out to AP but haven't heard back yet and the game is basically a giant paper weight without the working scoop. Thanks for the help.

Can you post a picture of what part you need, I'm confused? Pages 175-176 of the service manual have the parts breakdown for the VUK / scoop kickout but I can't picture what is broken on yours: http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-10/AP_Houdini-Service-Manual_091018.pdf

#12623 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The next time the problem happens check to see if the boards on the left side of the cabinet bottom have all the LEDs lit on them or not. Also double check that the connections to the existing power supply are secure, you can try wiggling the harness a little and see if you reproduce the issue.

Front most board on left side - 3 green lights. center board, no lights, back most board, 1 red light.

I can't seem to clear the problem now,
always boots to the p-roc / board error, even when I mess with it.

#12624 2 years ago

Is there a way to turn off the points based extra ball? Not seeing anything in the menus.

#12625 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Can you post a picture of what part you need, I'm confused? Pages 175-176 of the service manual have the parts breakdown for the VUK / scoop kickout but I can't picture what is broken on yours: http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-10/AP_Houdini-Service-Manual_091018.pdf

I'm dumb and didn't realize ap sold parts on the site. I thought I deleted the question, but the part was the vuk metal to black plastic piece that pushes the ball out of the scoop. I found it on page 16 of the parts list and ordered it as well as new flipper toppers. Other than those minor things, I'm really enjoying the game. The shots are satisfying and the code is super fun. Thanks for the help guys. Now I know where to go if I need anything else.

#12626 2 years ago
Quoted from mark-g:

Front most board on left side - 3 green lights. center board, no lights, back most board, 1 red light.
I can't seem to clear the problem now,
always boots to the p-roc / board error, even when I mess with it.

I'd guess your 5VDC power supply has died but you should check to be sure, do you have a multimeter and know how to measure VDC? If you do check J2 on the P3-ROC board for 5VDC, if it doesn't have it pull the clear plastic shield of the top of the power supply and check the left side terminal connectors for 5VDC. If it doesn't have it there you probably have a bad DC-DC power supply, contact API for a replacement.

#12627 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Contact brenna98 send him a PM.

Thanks for the referral,
Got my rectifier ordered.

If you lose 5V, this is the item
ebay.com link: itm

#12628 2 years ago
Quoted from mark-g:

If you lose 5V

Antek has been pretty good about sending replacements if you call them. There’s a model number on a sticker, on the side of the power supply.

Or if you’re handy replacing capacitors, you can repair your original.

#12629 2 years ago

Has anyone else experienced intermittent sound issue with Houdini? Recently, it seems as though the left side speakers just cut out randomly (the voice for the animations is either really low or gone) and then sometimes it cuts back on later? I'm thinking it's a potentially a software issue since a reboot will almost always turn it back on.

Has anyone had a similar experience (I'm running the latest code). Any thoughts on what to check, I've never had speaker issues on any machine I've owed. Thanks

#12630 2 years ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Has anyone else experienced intermittent sound issue with Houdini? Recently, it seems as though the left side speakers just cut out randomly (the voice for the animations is either really low or gone) and then sometimes it cuts back on later? I'm thinking it's a potentially a software issue since a reboot will almost always turn it back on.
Has anyone had a similar experience (I'm running the latest code). Any thoughts on what to check, I've never had speaker issues on any machine I've owed. Thanks

I posted several times about this issue. I sent logs to Josh. Voice would get really low and I could t hear much.

I bought a new ground loop isolator. I also changed the connector to the rca red and black connectors in at the bottom rather than the single connector at the top.

See post linked here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/246#post-6099103

#12631 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I posted several times about this issue. I sent logs to Josh. Voice would get really low and I could t hear much.
I bought a new ground loop isolator. I also changed the connector to the rca red and black connectors in at the bottom rather than the single connector at the top.
See post linked here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/246#post-6099103

Thanks for this. It took me a bit to figure out what you did, but I think I've got the gist of it. Couldn't find the same ground loop isolator, but did find a decent one on amazon. Thanks for sending.

2 weeks later
#12632 2 years ago

Hey guys,

quick question.

How many amps do I need on 5V-Rail and 12V-Rail to run the stable?

Hope you can help me.

Thank you

#12633 2 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

How many amps do I need on 5V-Rail and 12V-Rail to run the stable?

power supply amps?
5v 5amp
12v 8amp

That’s the output from the Antek power supply

#12634 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

See post linked here

I have had this happen on my Oktoberfest recently. First time it ever happened but same issue, sound got really quiet to the point of not being able to hear it. The sound did eventually come back. I had something weird happen with the sound during the match sequence once. About half way through the sequence the sound cut out. About two seconds later it came back full blast, like way way higher than I have it set.....at 2:30am, scared the shit out of me. Never happened again though the sound does cut out occasionally during match sequence.

#12635 2 years ago

I ordered some spare parts for my Houdini from AP. The parts arrived from USA to my home in Sydney in 7 days using DHL. Great service indeed. Another job well done AP, looking after your customer’s beautifully.

#12636 2 years ago

AP, what is the next game and when will be available?

#12637 2 years ago

AP, what is the next game and when will be available?

Damn, all we have to do is ask them?? Why didn't I think of that??

#12638 2 years ago

Just ordered some spare parts for Houdini. The Magic Trunk, Pop Bumper Caps and the complete Plastic Ramp assembly are now heading my way. Always good to have some game-specific parts for the future. What other parts might be good to stock up on now while they're easy to get?

#12639 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Damn, all we have to do is ask them?? Why didn't I think of that??

Basics of dating.

You don't get if you don't ask.

#12640 2 years ago

Is it true that due to the greatness another run of Houdini is on the line? Great to hear if true.

#12641 2 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Is it true that due to the greatness another run of Houdini is on the line? Great to hear if true.

They have said that all three games are available NIB from distributors, if you you can't find one reach out directly to Dave at API.

#12642 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Basics of dating.
You don't get if you don't ask.

I have a feeling his ask will be roughly as successful as my dating requests were way back when I was single. ✋

#12643 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I have a feeling his ask will be roughly as successful as my dating requests were way back when I was single.

I'm truly sorry for you my friend.

You missed a lot of fun.

#12644 2 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

A run of Houdini is finishing up, third time it has been on the line. It has a couple of changes, newest power supply with flipper cap, and our newer cabinet, with two less speakers in the head, but with a subwoofer in bottom of the cabinet (5 speakers total)

#12645 2 years ago

While your there josh give us a tip on what the new AP machine is? Promise we won’t tell anyone…

#12646 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

A run of Houdini is finishing up, third time it has been on the line. It has a couple of changes, newest power supply with flipper cap, and our newer cabinet, with two less speakers in the head, but with a subwoofer in bottom of the cabinet (5 speakers total)

Any new toppers being as well? Thanks in advance

#12647 2 years ago

Freddykaboodle

Two new non licensed titles yet this year is the latest information if what I have read is correct. First title in another month or two if that is also accurate.
This from web sources and not any direct information. We will know the title on announcement.

I was told awhile back, that they will not announce until they have games in boxes ready to ship. If that still holds true, and the other info considered I think we will see a new game yet this summer ?

Bring it on AP !

#12648 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I want to add a sub to the bottom of my cabinet.

Is there any info on how to do it factory style?

#12649 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Is there any info on how to do it factory style?

Send PM's to rosh , Ferret , Vegas9 , or brenna98 . Encourage them to post here and a service bulletin on their website.

The audio stuff already in there, isn't there a female jack for a sub ?

#12650 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

This help ?

ha (resized).jpgha (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 253 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/253?hl=freddykaboodle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.