20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 252 of 297.
#12551 3 years ago

Adjusted the shooter lane but still needs tweaking because it will often hit the posts now.

#12552 3 years ago

I have noticed that with the new beta code my flippers are being knocked down noticibly more often than with the previous official code (which was hardly at all) and I do have the flipper upgrade capacitor installed. I verified this by going back to the most recent official code and the flippers were much more reliable in rarely if ever being knocked down.
My stage eject works fine with either code.

#12553 3 years ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

I have noticed that with the new beta code my flippers are being knocked down noticibly more often than with the previous official code (which was hardly at all) and I do have the flipper upgrade capacitor installed. I verified this by going back to the most recent official code and the flippers were much more reliable in rarely if ever being knocked down.
My stage eject works fine with either code.

I have noticed the opposite - my flippers are more stable and more "juicier" then before. Hope to see more improvements with next stable code update.
Big kudos to AP-Team and rosh !!!!

#12554 3 years ago

I wish you could turn down (or off) the thunk noise the seance standups make. It gets a bit grating when you are missing your shots.

#12555 3 years ago

I had a few collapses. not too often. But the EOS install takes 15 minutes and it will never collapse.. what is the downside to installing it?

#12556 3 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I had a few collapses. not too often. But the EOS install takes 15 minutes and it will never collapse.. what is the downside to installing it?

No down side at all.

Just make sure its set to engage at the very end of the stroke, like the last 3/16" or 1/4"

you can test it by manually slapping down the flipper by hand. It will pop back up.

Without the switch if you manually knock down the flipper, it stays down.

#12557 3 years ago

My stage eject is working perfectly!

I have NOT updated the code (its the current release). I figured Id start playing with the stage eject to see how its doing before updating to the new beta. Its been disabled for years lol.

However, once in awhile with stage eject enabled the game does odd things and loses the ball and does a ball search.

This happens without the ball being in the stage. The game behavior changes slightly with the feature enabled on my game.

I had a period of stacked stage acts playing simultaneously, needles and milk can, and then the ball drained and the game didnt know it.

Rebooting the game fixed it.

With the stage eject disabled, the game doesnt do this at all.

Im looking to see if its just maybe a bad boot due to low power (a one off) or there is some consistency to it.

#12558 3 years ago

What is the benefit of the stage eject?

#12559 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

What is the benefit of the stage eject?

its a cool effect if it works properly

#12560 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I had a period of stacked stage acts playing simultaneously, needles and milk can, and then the ball drained and the game didnt know it.

Should not be able to have both together, if that happens again, please send me the logs.

you can test it by manually slapping down the flipper by hand. It will pop back up.

When testing EOS, be sure to not push it down, but to smack it, or use a ball. Keep it mind it will re-fire the flipper once when it gets knocked down, but if you are pushing the flipper, it will absorb the re-fire and the flipper will stay down.

Nothing in the beta code that changes the flippers, at least not that I can think of.

#12561 3 years ago

its a cool effect if it works properly

What does it do? I tried turning it on and didn't notice anything.

#12562 3 years ago

So you know the clunk noise it makes when you hit the seance targets? Sometimes it will just go Crazy and play that sound on every switch hit. Even the flippers make the noise like it's swof over here. Is this some kind of bug?

Sometimes it even persists after turning the game off and back on again.

#12563 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Is this some kind of bug?

Sounds like a switch that is too sensitive.

LTG : )

#12564 3 years ago

Jerickso77 : I agree with the illustrious LTG .

Go into the service mode, Tests > Switch, and thump the playfield gently with the side of your fist to vibrate the playfield a little bit, and observe if any of the Seance switches pop up on screen as activating. If so, check that physical switch... you'll probably find that the two blades are a tad too close to each other. Gently bend the blades a tiny bit to separate them... this is a little finicky, since you want them close enough so a modest ball strike triggers the switch, but not so close that they trigger from random game action. Takes a little getting used to, perhaps a little trial and error, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Let us know how it goes!

#12565 3 years ago

It was the 2nd E target. Thanks!

#12566 3 years ago

What flipper rebuild kit would I buy for this game? It uses Williams parts right?

#12567 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

What flipper rebuild kit would I buy for this game? It uses Williams parts right?

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-rebuild-kit-williamsbally-081993-101998-spooky-2014-present-jjp-2012-present.html

Yes, Williams parts.

#12568 3 years ago

as a harcore player (...) with only 1 pinball home, im may be playing to deep/to quick/to much
i've than swaped my Houdini today (versus a Star Wars PRO), after few monthes of real pleasure
for sure i still was enjoying it a lot, but in the same time wanted to discover something new
than really great pin for sure, but not only, as also the fans here, while not forgetting the API team/friends

last word to Josh for having reading me a lot, i know that sometimes it may have been a real pain (lol)
soon or later i'll be back to API, with Hot Wheels, or even your next game

#12569 3 years ago

Why not both?

20210418_141014 (resized).jpg20210418_141014 (resized).jpg
#12570 3 years ago

lol... and than only 1 place in the garage for a pinball

#12571 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:We’re now an Apple only family having relinquished our last PC following a job change. I tried to download the latest Houdini update, but couldn’t get it to work. I get an “Operation Failed” after several prompts to allow the download to continue. Apparently Apple will not allow (without giving permission halfway through the download) unless it is an Apple download or from a registered developer - or something like that.
Is this just my typical computer ineptitude, or is there an Apple thing?

Thanks to Dave Brennen from API for sending me a thumb drive with the download. Worked great. I didn’t want to have these other solutions not work and me left with a 250 pound brick. Now I can can try to pull the download on to another thumb drive and not worry because I have a backup.
Excellent service as always.

#12572 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Thanks to Dave Brennen from API for sending me a thumb drive with the download. Worked great. I didn’t want to have these other solutions not work and me left with a 250 pound brick. Now I can can try to pull the download on to another thumb drive and not worry because I have a backup.

brenna98 is the best!

#12573 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Just as an FYI, I was having similar issues with large file downloads on my Mac... it would download about 250mb and then give me the operation failed notice. Turned out to be my virus protection software. Once I turned that off, download was simple.

#12574 3 years ago

Just joined the club and loving the game. One issue though. The bash hits to the stage are not registering. I'm also getting an switch error for the front stage, which makes sense. What's the best way to troubleshoot this. I'm wondering if the opto is positioned correctly? It looks like it may be facing the rubber. Maybe that's causing the issue? Any help is appreciated.

20210420_112327 (resized).jpg20210420_112327 (resized).jpg
#12575 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Just joined the club and loving the game. One issue though. The bash hits to the stage are not registering. I'm also getting an switch error for the front stage, which makes sense. What's the best way to troubleshoot this. I'm wondering if the opto is positioned correctly? It looks like it may be facing the rubber. Maybe that's causing the issue? Any help is appreciated.
[quoted image]

Did you check the wires to both optos to make sure one didn't break off in shipping?

#12576 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Did you check the wires to both optos to make sure one didn't break off in shipping?

I lifted the playfield and the wires are connected. I cleaned the optos and during cleaning it will intermittently register the switch, but doesn't seem to work otherwise. Maybe the opto is bad? or the connection is loose? I pushed all the connectors in on the board.

#12577 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I lifted the playfield and the wires are connected. I cleaned the optos and during cleaning it will intermittently register the switch, but doesn't seem to work otherwise. Maybe the opto is bad? or the connection is loose? I pushed all the connectors in on the board.

Could be a loose wire on the opto itself or a bad opto or a cracked solder joint on the opto itself.

Reflow the opto connections or replace the opto.

#12578 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

getting an switch error for the front stage

Check the connection on the opto board, bottom left corner of the vertical underside of the Playfield, X6 plug.
https://store.american-pinball.com/products/opto

#12579 3 years ago

Installed the power supply upgrade and now facings intermittent restarts. Basically, the catapult will fire, the trunk lid will stay up longer than normal then game resets.

#12580 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Installed the power supply upgrade and now facings intermittent restarts. Basically, the catapult will fire, the trunk lid will stay up longer than normal then game resets.

If you could easily remove the power supply upgrade. I'd try that. If game returns to normal you know something is wrong with it, or how it's hooked up. AP tech support can assist you then.

#12581 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Thinking this only was happening while manual testing the coils. It hasn't happened during normal gameplay.

#12582 3 years ago

Check the connections in the power supply.... those wago wall nuts stink.

#12583 2 years ago

I cut off the wall nuts first thing but shoving 5 wires into a wire nut isn't that great either.

#12584 2 years ago

Special thanks to dave!! I downloaded the new code for the stage eject, and now it is working perfectly! It hasnt worked before. So glad this update worked for me!!!

#12585 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

I cut off the wall nuts first thing but shoving 5 wires into a wire nut isn't that great either.

You need to use the lev-r-nuts, they work really well.
My game really brightened up after installing them.

#12586 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Thinking this only was happening while manual testing the coils. It hasn't happened during normal gameplay.

A bug was reported that when adjusting coil settings a catapult throw can cause a reboot, Will be fixed in next update.

#12587 2 years ago

Any tips on adjusting the left lane guide? Even a modest right orbit shot will send it right into the center post.

Also, is it even possible to backhand the ramp? I can only get about halfway up at best.

#12588 2 years ago

You want to use these, I have not had a problem since. Wago Lever Nuts

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.03.22 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.03.22 AM (resized).png
#12590 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Any tips on adjusting the left lane guide? Even a modest right orbit shot will send it right into the center post.
Also, is it even possible to backhand the ramp? I can only get about halfway up at best.

I’ve not noticed any regular pattern of balls coming out of the left orbit shooting RDTM. Is you game set at 6.0 and level?

You don’t mean balls ejecting from the scoop/VUK on the right hand side by the planchette, do you? I do find that balls tend to shoot out of VUK and right between the flippers.
There is an adjustment for that at:
http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-6/SCOOP-ADJUSTMENT.pdf

Probably not at all what you are talking about, but now I’m now inspired to try that fix.

#12591 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Pretty rare to hear of that shot not flowing as it should. First double check your machine is level left to right. Second take a look to see if the end of the rail is tight to the rubber.

#12592 2 years ago

Machine is level and rail was tight to the rubber. Ended up removing all of the screws on the left guide and bending it some. Had to leave out the screw closest to the catapult when I put it back but it works better now.

#12593 2 years ago

Finally getting this dialed in. Shame the flipper power can't be more consistent but it's definitely playable. The power supply upgrade helped some at least.

20210427_201300 (resized).jpg20210427_201300 (resized).jpg
#12594 2 years ago

Gave my Houdini some love this past weekend... finally replaced all rubber rings with Titan, superband posts and all bulbs (that pesky one under the ramp) with sunlight. Cleaned and waxed, ready to go! I tried a "fix" for balls bouncing out of the milkcan shot, so far it seems to be working pretty well on my game. After waxing I lined the metal guide with a strip of thicker mylar since I did not have any foam to use. I also put some mylar on the inside back of the trunk and replaced my scratched up balls.
Houdini (resized).jpgHoudini (resized).jpg

#12595 2 years ago

I added 1/4 inch felt that is used for the bottom for furniture to the back wall. It has a great adhesive. The balls don't bounce out anymore and the balls love it too.

#12596 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Finally getting this dialed in[quoted image]

not bad young padawan, but the road is still long...

#12597 2 years ago

Can anyone hit the super skill shot? In 1% of the time

#12598 2 years ago

I can pull it off maybe 10% of the time.

#12599 2 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

Can anyone hit the super skill shot? In 1% of the time

How about the seance multiball "shoot the targets in order". I've only come close one time (at least that I'm aware of). Anybody ever get this one?

#12600 2 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

How about the seance multiball "shoot the targets in order". I've only come close one time (at least that I'm aware of). Anybody ever get this one?

I did. The first time I was aware of it, I tried and got it. Never again after dozens and dozens of attempts. Go figure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 252 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/252?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.