20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 251 of 297.
#12501 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

hard to see it precisely, since can't real scrub on youtube, but seems it starts to move forward before the ball starts to drop, possible due to your pitch. I'll have to see if I can make that delay a touch shorter and see if helps that scenario without negatively impacting others.

In spite of the drastic game pitch, it looks like the ball cant quite go over the hump of the captive ball to drain out.

Ill have to check mine as it also rarely works.

#12502 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

a quick video of what mine does

i've tested the stage front eject with intentionally magnetized balls and it does something similar to what your video shows. Not saying that's your exact cause, but might be worth a look.

#12503 3 years ago

That’s a good point. With gravity and a non-magnetized ball, you would think that the ball in play would be sitting on the bottom side of the disappearing ball and not on the top (before attempted ejection).

#12504 3 years ago

still working very nice here, i stay on just 1 miss out of 20...

#12505 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

i've tested the stage front eject with intentionally magnetized balls and it does something similar to what your video shows. Not saying that's your exact cause, but might be worth a look.

Worth a look but I'd be really surprised if that's the case as these are pretty new and are regular carbon-steel balls. I think it has more to do with where the magic ball sits at "capture" mode but I don't really have any evidence or way to test that theory.

#12506 3 years ago

This is my first post to Pinside’s Houdini threads, so please forgive me if I missed anything. What an amazing community this is!

Here’s my question: I bought a new Houdini pin in December, I absolutely love it, and I’m wondering if it has a battery that I will need to change; if so, where is it?

I don’t see any info about this in the owner’s manual...

#12507 3 years ago
Quoted from amazing_egghead:

This is my first post to Pinside’s Houdini threads, so please forgive me if I missed anything. What an amazing community this is!
Here’s my question: I bought a new Houdini pin in December, I absolutely love it, and I’m wondering if it has a battery that I will need to change; if so, where is it?
I don’t see any info about this in the owner’s manual...

let's admit i've never checked, but than, as it's a computer motherboard, shoud be a 2032...
but dont think about that now, you have more than time

and btw, welcome

#12508 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

let's admit i've never checked, but than, as it's a computer motherboard, shoud be a 2032...
and btw, welcome

I'm pretty sure it's a custom main board without a battery at all but will admit I've only taken a cursory glance at it when I first got the game years ago.

Added over 3 years ago:

Incorrect information redacted.

#12509 3 years ago

PINSIDE is back right in time, as i've just scored this :

55M (resized).jpg55M (resized).jpg

#12510 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

computer motherboard, shoud be a 2032..

That’s correct. There’s a coin battery in there. You shouldn’t need to change it for a very long time.

#12511 3 years ago

Possibly dumb question... my Return From Beyond and Escape Death features don’t work when lit. The ball drains and that’s the end of the ball. Am I missing a setting or something?

#12512 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

PINSIDE is back right in time, as i've just scored this :
[quoted image]

Good Lord. I didn’t know the game could go that high. I’d need 20 balls and a sock stuffed in the out hole to score like that.
Hey - just noticed that what I said sounds like a prelude to a pretty bad and somewhat off-color limerick. Sorry.

#12513 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

and btw, welcome

Thank you everyone for your help!

#12514 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

That’s correct. There’s a coin battery in there. You shouldn’t need to change it for a very long time.

Thank you so very much for your help!

#12515 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Good Lord. I didn’t know the game could go that high

than we are almost 2 !!! lol

#12516 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Possibly dumb question... my Return From Beyond and Escape Death features don’t work when lit. The ball drains and that’s the end of the ball. Am I missing a setting or something?

you mean "not always" working, right !?
than already reported to Josh, i experienced that too, but while playing really hard to understand what is going on (of course considering the switches are 100% working)

#12517 3 years ago

This game has no subwoofer correct? How do you go about wiring an external?

#12518 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

you mean "not always" working, right !?
than already reported to Josh, i experienced that too, but while playing really hard to understand what is going on (of course considering the switches are 100% working)

I don’t think I’ve started either mode since the last code update. The insert is lit on both sides, I drain, and nothing. Weird.

#12519 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

yes no subwoofer - i bought a cheap passive car subwoofer which is now under the pin and driven by the amp in the backbox. You only need a long enough speakerwire.

#12520 3 years ago

You just alligator clip to the existing speakers?

#12521 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

You just alligator clip to the existing speakers?

The amp has a sub woofer output. Just use that.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#12522 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The amp has a sub woofer output. Just use that. [quoted image]

I could never get a passive sub to work. I had to buy a small sub amp. Works great, but I needed an external amp for my sub speaker.
Seemed like a number of people liked the Polk subwoofer found here:

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer-Single/dp/B0002KVQBA

Also, search this thread for Polk and subwoofer and you’ll see lots of info.

#12523 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I don’t think I’ve started either mode since the last code update. The insert is lit on both sides, I drain, and nothing. Weird.

well than, again, you're sure that switches are 100% working ?
if yes, than its strange, as OK, sometimes i also see these not reacting, but mainly they are

#12524 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Keep in mind that if lit via the magic shop, and if you have not earned either one through its normal means, that it will move from outlane to outlane with the flippers. You also will not get them if ball save is active or in multiball.

If you have it occur were you are certain you should have gotten it, pull the logs and send to me. Please note date and time (and always good to make sure you game's clock is correct).

#12525 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The amp has a sub woofer output. Just use that.

Both Oktoberfest and Hot Wheels run their subwoofer off that same amp. If the lower speakers are plugged into the sub-amp terminals, then move those to the standard speaker terminals.

#12526 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Keep in mind that if lit via the magic shop, and if you have not earned either one through its normal means, that it will move from outlane to outlane with the flippers. You also will not get them if ball save is active or in multiball.
If you have it occur were you are certain you should have gotten it, pull the logs and send to me. Please note date and time (and always good to make sure you game's clock is correct).

Thanks, I’ll pop the hood to troubleshoot any easy stuff. If all checks out, I’ll send you my audits.

#12527 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The amp has a sub woofer output. Just use that. [quoted image]

I use the "inputs" (chinch) to connect an external active subwoofer, and it works perfect. I don't know why, but the input does really well as an output !

#12528 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Get a pinnovators Master Audio Control, it has a sub out.

#12529 3 years ago

Anyone' know when they corrected the power supply issue? Got a build date of Mar 2018.

#12530 3 years ago

We’re now an Apple only family having relinquished our last PC following a job change. I tried to download the latest Houdini update, but couldn’t get it to work. I get an “Operation Failed” after several prompts to allow the download to continue. Apparently Apple will not allow (without giving permission halfway through the download) unless it is an Apple download or from a registered developer - or something like that.
Is this just my typical computer ineptitude, or is there an Apple thing?

#12531 3 years ago

When I have the lock lit and I hit the inner loop, sometimes it doesn’t go through to the lock. Instead, it either releases the ball like it does when the lock isn’t lit, or keeps it there and shoots another ball out of the scoop. This seems to happen maybe 1 out of 5 times I hit the lit lock. Is this a known issue? Or, maybe there’s some gameplay situation during which you can’t lock balls and I’m not realizing that? TIA for any help.

#12532 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

American Pinball software updates use the file extension .pkg, which is, unfortunately, the same extension that Macs use for installation packages for Mac software... so your computer may be trying to open/install this file itself after downloading it, which won't work.

Your browser may have a preference to auto-open files after downloading... for example, if you use Safari, go to Safari > Preferences on the menu bar, then click the General tab and turn off the "Open 'safe' files after downloading" option, and see if that helps things.

Additionally or alternatively, the downloaded update package should be left in your Downloads folder or, worst case, in the Trash, even if the Mac complains that it doesn't want to install the package.

Hope this helps!

#12533 3 years ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

When I have the lock lit and I hit the inner loop, sometimes it doesn’t go through to the lock. Instead, it either releases the ball like it does when the lock isn’t lit, or keeps it there and shoots another ball out of the scoop. This seems to happen maybe 1 out of 5 times I hit the lit lock. Is this a known issue? Or, maybe there’s some gameplay situation during which you can’t lock balls and I’m not realizing that? TIA for any help.

If lock is lit, it should always go to the vuk/catapult sequence, with few exceptions (e..g some wizard modes may not let it go to the lock). When this happens does the 'Increase Jackpot' animation run when it goes past it to the VUK?

Possible the inner loop switch, the one closest to the VUK, is having issues, when lock is lit, that switch will then trigger the up-post to direct the ball into the VUK.

#12534 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

We’re now an Apple only family having relinquished our last PC following a job change. I tried to download the latest Houdini update, but couldn’t get it to work. I get an “Operation Failed” after several prompts to allow the download to continue. Apparently Apple will not allow (without giving permission halfway through the download) unless it is an Apple download or from a registered developer - or something like that.

As Ferret said, it should be downloading it, it is just if you go to open it (or the Mac tries to on its own after downloading) it give you a hard time. Check downloads and then just copy to the USB Stick. If it is failing during download, then something else is going on, post an image of the error message.

#12535 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I can confirm that these are working with the latest code. I got Return from Beyond last night but unfortunately I still wound up pushing up daisies...

#12536 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I can confirm that these are working with the latest code. I got Return from Beyond last night but unfortunately I still wound up pushing up daisies...

Ditto, my RFTB and EFTD, in my case both were lit from their normal means, not from the Magic Shop award. However the latest Beta has a problem where you cannot light the final ESCAPE letter via the magic shop hole, I suspect this was to fix the problem of it awarding both the final letter and starting the Escape hurry-up when you hit the magic shop hole - have already reported this to Josh via e-mail while Pinside was down.

#12537 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Thanks. I’ll check the easy stuff, probably I have the dumb.

#12538 3 years ago

So I have build date of Mar 2018 and I assume this doesn't have the upgraded power supply?
What was the other upgrade kit besides the psu?

20210413_140459 (resized).jpg20210413_140459 (resized).jpg
#12539 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

So I have build date of Mar 2018 and I assume this doesn't have the upgraded power supply?

Doesn't look like it. https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-power-supply-upgrade

Vegas9 , rosh , Ferret , would know better.

LTG : )

#12540 3 years ago

Did anyone have to adjust the shooter lane guide? Seems impossible to hit anything but the E.

#12541 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Did anyone have to adjust the shooter lane guide? Seems impossible to hit anything but the E.

There's a process to adjust it posted on their website and also discussed many times in this thread, although I agree it might be hard to find in here.

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-5/Houdini-Skill-Shot-Fix.pdf

#12542 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

What was the other upgrade kit besides the psu?[quoted image]

You do not have the upgrade for the power supply. They also have an upgrade kit for the coils. Both good to have.

#12543 3 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

What was the other upgrade kit besides the psu?[quoted image]

You do not have the updated power supply. I believe they still offer the store credit. I recommend highly getting the power supply, shaker motor, upgrade kit for the coils. Game gets much more reliable after that while you are at it, get the EOS switches.

#12544 3 years ago

Thanks! Ordered the power supply and coil upgrades. Will use the store credit for a shaker and eos switches if they still offer it.

#12545 3 years ago

I have never needed the EOS switches, does everyone have them?

#12546 3 years ago

I've ordered the other upgrades but only installed the power supply. I like the way my game plays now so will leave it alone.

#12547 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I installed them, and they work great. I had a few flipper collapses before and have had zero after installation.

#12548 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I do not have the EOS switches. Never needed them.

#12549 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I do not have the EOS switches. Never needed them.

Must just be us drummers!

#12550 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Must just be us drummers!

I am sure it is a timing thing!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 251 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/251?hl=jagdaniels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.