20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 245 of 297.
#12201 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

be very careful it you adjust switches

The nubs that hold the rollers on are very delicate on these switches.

Its incredibly easy to break them off and cause binding.

They are a pain to replace...

So, its a very delicate adjustment using 2 fine needle nose pliers to keep the stress off the switch nubs.

I only had to adjust 1/64" to get them solid.

#12202 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I initially just bent them sideways while testing this out, but didnt like the look lol.
For the 1/8" lateral move, there just isnt enough room to drill new holes in the playfield properly.
So, elongating the switch mounting bracket was easy enough with a 1/8" carbide side-cutting bit in the dremel.
Side cutting with just a drill bit would also work but more time consuming.

I can hear the dremel and it feels painful to imagine...

#12203 3 years ago

Can anyone confirm that, with the 21.1.21 code, jail escape starts instantly when you make the final letter by sinking the ball in the magic shop hole? In the old code, you made the final letter, then had to reenter the magic shop to start the escape.

#12204 3 years ago

I switched to 3 ball games and the new code is running pretty well. No resets like I had with 5 ball games.

#12205 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I can hear the dremel and it feels painful to imagine...

lol, actually a very easy 10 min fix.

#12206 3 years ago

Mhmm...i have no idea how this left lock works, if i shoot a ball there it just releases the ball in front and raises the jackpot value. I never recognized there are 3 switches...

#12207 3 years ago

lol, actually a very easy 10 min fix.

I was lucky my lock switches are perfectly aligned. Adjusting the playfield wood just feels so, well, final, to me. Everything else in the machine can be replaced, but the PF and cabinet (both wood) are big bites to chew. But if it worked for you, then touche'!!!!

#12208 3 years ago

I was lucky my lock switches are perfectly aligned. Adjusting the playfield wood just feels so, well, final, to me. Everything else in the machine can be replaced, but the PF and cabinet (both wood) are big bites to chew. But if it worked for you, then touche'!!!!

we are not talking about any wood work.

the seance targets are mounted on metal "L" brackets with screws into the playfield itself.

Elongating the hole in the metal mounting bracket to move it sideways does in no way affect the wooden playfield.

No trees or playfields are injured with this proceedure lol.

#12209 3 years ago

we are not talking about any wood work.
the seance targets are mounted on metal "L" brackets with screws into the playfield itself.
Elongating the hole in the metal mounting bracket to move it sideways does in no way affect the wooden playfield.
No trees or playfields are injured with this proceedure lol.

Re-read and I get it now... Interesting on my machine I have none of that alignment issue, not sure where the discrepancy comes from, but you solved it on yours. 21.1.21 seems to be pretty solid code now, no? 8-)

#12210 3 years ago

Sneak peek of my homemade topper. I used the stock Houdini bumper caps connected with a chain and a dry mounted poster. Powdercoated base and aluminum channels. Two Comet LED strips on the way to light everything up (red curtains and sunlight white on the front). I need a channel at the top, but otherwise I’m pretty happy with it.
67EB9536-4308-4B0E-8F8F-0F87A073BADE (resized).jpeg67EB9536-4308-4B0E-8F8F-0F87A073BADE (resized).jpeg

5B4650B8-3AA4-4152-9B39-C70A7CCBDEF5 (resized).jpeg5B4650B8-3AA4-4152-9B39-C70A7CCBDEF5 (resized).jpeg
#12211 3 years ago

Re-read and I get it now... Interesting on my machine I have none of that alignment issue, not sure where the discrepancy comes from, but you solved it on yours. 21.1.21 seems to be pretty solid code now, no? 8-)

Its not an alignment issue or a discrepency, its about widening the lane to make it easier and more consistent to hit the inner loop.

Opening the inner loop a bit helps in numerous ways that yields big rewards.

Its a small, totally reversible modification to enhance game play.

They call it a tweak.

Tweaking games is as old as pinball.

Op's always test and tweak games to make it more fun and make more money.

Most used games we get hold of, have lots of tweaks, some good, some bad lol (some downright stupid...).

#12212 3 years ago

Houdini steampunk plunger. Originally $60 plus shipping. No longer available from Beatmaster. A few minor chips in the paint.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdinis-steampunk-shooter-rod-and-development-thread

*Edit* Sold

$40 shipped.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#12213 3 years ago

Just went to update my game and found a small problem I had to download the file a second time so it had the (1) around the file name and the game would not update correctly removed the (1) and all was well.

#12214 3 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Just went to update my game and found a small problem I had to download the file a second time so it had the (1) around the file name and the game would not update correctly removed the (1) and all was well.

File name really matters. Older code could have no additional numbers, and newer code is very specific about the acceptable file name. As always, I recommend a full quick Fat32 format on any usb drive right before you download from API’s website directly to the usb drive. If you download directly to the usb drive, the file name WILL be correct.

#12215 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Sneak peek of my homemade topper. I used the stock Houdini bumper caps connected with a chain and a dry mounted poster. Powdercoated base and aluminum channels. Two Comet LED strips on the way to light everything up (red curtains and sunlight white on the front). I need a channel at the top, but otherwise I’m pretty happy with it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s really cool. Very well done.

#12216 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Well done!

Looks awesome!

#12217 3 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Windows does that, just backspace out the (1) and rename it.

#12218 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Houdini steampunk plunger. Originally $60 plus shipping. No longer available from Beatmaster. A few minor chips in the paint.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdinis-steampunk-shooter-rod-and-development-thread
$40 shipped.

Too bad about the chip, I might be all over this....

#12219 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

nice ! but than, how your bumpers are looking now ? can you show a pic...

#12220 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

nice ! but than, how your bumpers are looking now ? can you show a pic...

I purchased extras directly from AP. I didn’t pull them from my game.

#12221 3 years ago

Under both 19.4.7 and 21.01.21 I have, on occasion, locked three balls and trunk multiball did not start. What might cause this, and is there a way to trigger the multiball later?

Thanks.

#12222 3 years ago
Quoted from archimandrite:

Under both 19.4.7 and 21.01.21 I have, on occasion, locked three balls and trunk multiball did not start. What might cause this, and is there a way to trigger the multiball later?
Thanks.

what do you mean with "did not start" ?

at all ? while game goes on ?
or nothing happends until ball search and than multiball begin ?

#12223 3 years ago

Do I need to unzip file for new update code? Or just download and plug in

#12224 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

Do I need to unzip file for new update code? Or just download and plug in

just download and plug in
let the ***.pkg as it is

#12225 3 years ago

Thanks.

check the trunk switch under the trunk and adjust if necessary

#12226 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

what do you mean with "did not start" ?
at all ? while game goes on ?
or nothing happends until ball search and than multiball begin ?

Never started at all. Most of the time it works fine.

#12227 3 years ago

Sounds like a flakey, loose or misadjusted switch under the trunk, or a loose connector.

#12228 3 years ago

I finally downloaded the latest code update and installed in the game.WOW!!! The additional or modified light shows are great, and the roll over sound effects are a plus as well.The game kept an accurate count of the balls. Prior to this code update I had almost always had an extra ball during trunk multiball.

A huge thank you to rosh and everyone else that contributed to this for this labor of love.Really a fun game.

I did have one question regarding the Great Jail Escape- I was awarded (2) green Houdini letters. I assume one was awarded for qualifying and i did finish the mode- so assuming the second letter was for completing the mode.

#12229 3 years ago

ok... than next ask :

on the screen, did you than had the animation "ball 3 locked" & "trunk multiball" ?
if yes that should means switches are ok, than more a code prob...
if no, seems more a switch issue...

next is for Joe/Josh

#12230 3 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I finally downloaded the latest code update and installed in the game.WOW!!! The additional or modified light shows are great, and the roll over sound effects are a plus as well.The game kept an accurate count of the balls. Prior to this code update I had almost always had an extra ball during trunk multiball.
A huge thank you to rosh and everyone else that contributed to this for this labor of love.Really a fun game.
I did have one question regarding the Great Jail Escape- I was awarded (2) green Houdini letters. I assume one was awarded for qualifying and i did finish the mode- so assuming the second letter was for completing the mode.

I don't recall what the defaults are now but you can adjust how Houdini letters are earned in the settings, this will also tell you why you were awarded both Green ones.

#12231 3 years ago

Okay, which one you topper-loving Houdini owners are going to put this thing on the top of your game?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#12232 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Okay, which one you topper-loving Houdini owners are going to put this thing on the top of your game? [quoted image]

I would love to, where is it from?

#12233 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I would love to, where is it from?

I forgot to paste the link, oops! https://www.curitisbelle.store/product/fdj/?fbclid=IwAR1KM5P5Tu98uepu2Oc9ooMlwW14awn7WnNRqcdE0TalfEyJt5l_JMMGysI

I have no idea if this place is reputable / reliable or anything else so proceed with appropriate caution if you do buy from them.

#12234 3 years ago

Thanks bobukcat , you nailed it. Settings were 1st Houdini letter at 5 and 2nd letter at 5.Now have 2nd letter for this mode off.

Very much appreciated.

IMG_6691 (resized).JPGIMG_6691 (resized).JPG

#12235 3 years ago

Code update looks awesome! A big thank you to rosh and American Pinball for all their hard work in continuing to support this game.

#12236 3 years ago
Quoted from multibrawlr:

Code update looks awesome! A big thank you to rosh and American Pinball for all their hard work in continuing to support this game.

Thanks for you previous feedback and suggestions, you may have noticed a few things in this release inspired by your suggestions.

#12237 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Okay, which one you topper-loving Houdini owners are going to put this thing on the top of your game?

I guess it only runs for 10 minutes at a time on steam, but certainly looks cool.

#12238 3 years ago

so this happened just once? Or it is happening frequently? Is it telling you the ball locked or ??

#12239 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Okay, which one you topper-loving Houdini owners are going to put this thing on the top of your game? [quoted image]

I was looking at small model steam engines after a late night conversation a couple of weeks ago about favourite childhood toys.

I never had a small stationary engine but i was very jealous of a mate who did when i was small. Best toy i ever saw.

Couldn't quite find the right one to buy.

#12240 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I guess it only runs for 10 minutes at a time on steam, but certainly looks cool.

If I were into toppers at all (I'm not except for the ones that are included with the game like the WOZ ones, White Water, etc.) but if I were I'd buy one of these and try to find a way to make it run continuously or at least for a couple hours at a time. Not sure that's actually possible but even when it's not running it still looks pretty cool and it's not very expensive. As long as it doesn't fall apart from being vibrated / shaken around a lot it's a really cheap topper compared to a lot of the other ones out there.

#12241 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

If I were into toppers at all (I'm not except for the ones that are included with the game like the WOZ ones, White Water, etc.) but if I were I'd buy one of these and try to find a way to make it run continuously or at least for a couple hours at a time. Not sure that's actually possible but even when it's not running it still looks pretty cool and it's not very expensive. As long as it doesn't fall apart from being vibrated / shaken around a lot it's a really cheap topper compared to a lot of the other ones out there.

Being $32 is a deadset flag. That's a $400+ machine.

#12242 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Likely a scam website, sadly there are many out there.
They list paypal, but dont offer it as a payment option, looks crooked to me.

https://www.scamdoc.com/view/436920

#12243 3 years ago

just scored 14M+

again, most points came from ENCORE BONUS (with 8 modes won out of 10, few in X2 scoring), than take a risk at last ball to shoot the stage thrue the X2 lane... grab 9M+

(last code, and of course in factory settings)

IMG_20210125_203655_027 (resized).jpgIMG_20210125_203655_027 (resized).jpg

#12245 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I thought that seemed really cheap but didn't expect they were really THAT expensive. I guess it wouldn't make for a "cheap" topper after-all!

#12246 3 years ago

Assuming it arrived.

#12247 3 years ago

well, not sure if i can say, but...

IMG_20210125_222027_753 (resized).jpgIMG_20210125_222027_753 (resized).jpg

now i'll stop playing for tonight

again, pts came from ENCORE BONUS, this time 16M+ !!!
and my real prob (...) is the ramp, toughest shot for me on Houdini, i very rarely complete the ELEPHANT mode, and here i miss the MOVIE BINGE for just 1 shot, of course the ramp one

rosh : got again the mode level 2 bug, and again it was with MILK CAN
same as last time : once it bugged, waited for ball search, than could play my last 2 balls (1 EB & ball 3) without having the stage available, it remain close until the end of the game

the comma bug in stats screen is there again (lol), while pts per sec are 11098

#12248 3 years ago

NICE shooting RipleYYY !! I have been using your strategy on shooting the encore shot through the stage alley and it pays off big.I have my settings on easy and can get to MM, but my best score is half of yours. Kudos!

#12249 3 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

NICE shooting ripleyyy !! I have been using your strategy on shooting the encore shot through the stage alley and it pays off big.I have my settings on easy and can get to MM, but my best score is half of yours. Kudos!

tanx...
and i've already checked your submited scores, great ones without a doubt
i suppose you're a tournament player too ? if yes, who ?

also seen your setup above, better put them all in factory, you have enough skill lol
or than i'll set mine on easy to see/play MM loooooooooooooool

#12250 3 years ago

Hey guys, noticed this little bugger coming undone today, was keeping the trunk lid open getting caught on the rear panel, might be worth a tighten during maintenance...

ABD6F9D4-9C9B-4A22-ADEC-6BDBDE96B9E6 (resized).jpegABD6F9D4-9C9B-4A22-ADEC-6BDBDE96B9E6 (resized).jpegFC23766F-6CEF-4513-B6CD-AF9D7039F68A (resized).jpegFC23766F-6CEF-4513-B6CD-AF9D7039F68A (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 245 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/245?hl=markharris2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.