20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 238 of 297.
#11851 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

... Might be some of the setting are set very liberal...

and than, as said all was in factory settings, and now i've just set-it up easier, with the "home config", should be better for family & friends... will see

from TILT FORUM WIKI :

SUGGESTED HOME SETTINGS
If you would like a more approachable game for the family and for new to intermediate players try these settings. This configuration allows the player to open the stage by bashing the stage curtain just one time. You also get more time to complete a mode before the mode times out and the crowd “boos” at you. When the jail escape order is from “easy to hard”, it forces you to complete the cities in order.
• Stage Difficulty: Easy
• Stage Mode Timer: 45 to 60 seconds
• King of Cards: 40 to 60 seconds
• Jail Escapes Order: Easy to Hard
• Jail Escapes Difficulty: Easy

#11852 3 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Houdini has returned to the grave. ☹️
Opened a support ticket today with AP, looks like the main power supply is dead.
[quoted image]

Update: It was a capacitor on the power supply that was swollen and dead. All is good again, and Houdini has risen from the grave! Thanks to AP support

#11853 3 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Update: It was a capacitor on the power supply that was swollen and dead. All is good again, and Houdini has risen from the grave! Thanks to AP support

Amazing we're still getting so many crappy electrolytic caps in products these days. Glad it was a reallying relatively easy/cheap fix, the show must go on.

#11854 3 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked -- balls are not magnetized. I checked the optos and they are good. I tried setting the lock release timing to 4 instead of factory 6, and it seems to have worked. Got to play some more to see.

Update: Still getting double ball kickouts from the scoop despite speeding up the lock post. At Rosh's suggestion, I took a look at the sleeve. I hopethis is the culprit.

20201219_191758 (resized).jpg20201219_191758 (resized).jpg
#11855 3 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Update: Still getting double ball kickouts from the scoop despite speeding up the lock post. At Rosh's suggestion, I took a look at the sleeve. I hopethis is the culprit.
[quoted image]

Wow. What the heck? What causes that?

#11856 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Wow. What the heck? What causes that?

I dunno. I had that happen to the lower catapult sleeve too. Chewed up. But the scoop is ejecting correctly now.

#11857 3 years ago

More maintenance fun - my pop bumper ring was loose and floppy. Looks like the thread section of the post sheered off (lower one in the photo). There were no washers on it either, unlike the other post, which had two. I will have to get another, plus the machine ate one of the bronze colored screws for the bumper cap. Those screws are not at all sensitive to magnets, fyi.

20201219_205607 (resized).jpg20201219_205607 (resized).jpg20201219_211053 (resized).jpg20201219_211053 (resized).jpg
#11858 3 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

More maintenance fun - my pop bumper ring was loose and floppy.

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-pop-bumper-toy-hardware

When you go to install, do not over tighten.
Instead, just snug them up with one drop of blue lock tite on the threads.

#11859 3 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

More maintenance fun - my pop bumper ring was loose and floppy. Looks like the thread section of the post sheered off (lower one in the photo). There were no washers on it either, unlike the other post, which had two. I will have to get another, plus the machine ate one of the bronze colored screws for the bumper cap. Those screws are not at all sensitive to magnets, fyi.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Ugh. You are having a time of it.

#11860 3 years ago

Any trick to king of cards?,I have no idea what to do?

#11861 3 years ago

Hold and release flippers - toss cards into the moving targets. You'll get the hang of it after doing it a couple times.

#11862 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Any trick to king of cards?,I have no idea what to do?

The longer you hold down the flipper the farther the card goes.

#11863 3 years ago

I have never seen a sleeve chewed like that.

#11864 3 years ago

Hi

Have another problem with Houdini which seems an odd one , hoping someone might be able to help?

Volume for the game is fine but the speech volume is really low. I have the main volume around 9,5 (max 11).

Had a look at the manual and the in game adjustments and seems you can change if speech is on or off but doesn't seem to be a volume setting to change how loud, only the volume overall.

So can't work out why the game sounds and music are fine but the speech to guide you what to do is very quiet and difficult to hear. It is defnietly on but as I say very quiet.

Cheers
Greg

#11865 3 years ago
Quoted from robotgreg:

Hi
Have another problem with Houdini which seems an odd one , hoping someone might be able to help?
Volume for the game is fine but the speech volume is really low. I have the main volume around 9,5 (max 11).
Had a look at the manual and the in game adjustments and seems you can change if speech is on or off but doesn't seem to be a volume setting to change how loud, only the volume overall.
So can't work out why the game sounds and music are fine but the speech to guide you what to do is very quiet and difficult to hear. It is defnietly on but as I say very quiet.
Cheers
Greg

Check the cable and connections from the computer to the amp, including the loop ground isolator.

You can also hook headphones to the computer directly to confirm whether the it sounds correct coming out of the computer.

#11866 3 years ago

Mnay thanks Rosh. All sorted now - yes was the headphone socket which attaches on a cable to the left of the backbox which was a bit loose.

Thanks again

#11867 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That little tiny "soon" made my day!

Mine too. Can’t wait!

#11868 3 years ago

1 week after game landed, and in fact not playing too much (only 42 games for the all family)

IMG_20201225_222456_475 (resized).jpgIMG_20201225_222456_475 (resized).jpg

rosh : as you can see, small display bug, i suppose because there's 2 digits (13) at modes played, and than the others digits are wrong, 1 step to much to the right...

#11869 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

1 week after game landed, and in fact not playing too much (only 42 games for the all family)
[quoted image]
Rosh : as you can see, small display bug, i suppose because there's 2 digits (13) at modes played, and than the others digits are wrong, 1 step to much to the right...

good lord! What are your settings?!?

#11871 3 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

When hooking up a sub do I use the two bottom black terminals? That looks like L and R negative, is that correct?

[quoted image]

Just in case anyone still needs to see the manufacturer’s hookup page

AEE18E73-3DAB-4BA2-A79F-D85E5A5DC945 (resized).pngAEE18E73-3DAB-4BA2-A79F-D85E5A5DC945 (resized).png
#11872 3 years ago

A quick update for Houdini owners with the original power supply... API still has the 48v power supply upgrade available for $150 dollars, but will offer a full credit of that towards anything else in their store. Coincidently, the Side art blades and a true Knocker kit total $150. So for the $150 spend, you can be all three items!

Here’s my recommendation: go online and order the power supply upgrade, the EOS kit, and the coil performance kit. That’s about $215. (Try using the code promo END2020). Then after your order is placed, contact Kishan or Dave by email and have him generate your $150 credit code. Once you have the discount code, use it to buy the kicker and side blades for the price of shipping alone! (The credit code works after January 4th)

#11873 3 years ago

Loving this game after a month or two
I was in original code then was able to update to 18.12.12
Today I decided to update to 19 the latest
Same stick same process
Game does not recognize the usb is plugged in
Tried on and off several times
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Marshall

#11874 3 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Loving this game after a month or two
I was in original code then was able to update to 18.12.12
Today I decided to update to 19 the latest
Same stick same process
Game does not recognize the usb is plugged in
Tried on and off several times
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Marshall

Format the usb stick Fat32, then write the file to it. The file name must be the exact one API has posted.

#11875 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Format the usb stick Fat32, then write the file to it. The file name must be the exact one API has posted.

Thanks for the response .
It is set that way the game just doesn’t recognize ive inserted a stick at all

#11876 3 years ago

Try putting a blank usb stick in. It should try writing logs. If it doesn’t, your cable may have come loose from the J1900 computer box.

#11877 3 years ago

You'll have to try a couple other brands. I use a PNY stick that so far seems to work for all of my games. It can be hit or miss; the real cheapies don't seem to work at all.

#11878 3 years ago

Try putting a blank usb stick in. It should try writing logs. If it doesn’t, your cable may have come loose from the J1900 computer box.

Did that.It copied files to usb said to reboot now the main screen is black

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You'll have to try a couple other brands. I use a PNY stick that so far seems to work for all of my games. It can be hit or miss; the real cheapies don't seem to work at all.

I paid 20 for this one at Office Depot it’s a Lexar fat32 it worked in my first update a month ago

I feel I should never of messed with it

The game boots but now it plays and the main screen goes from “no signal” to black never comes on

This happened last time I updated turns into a big mess

#11879 3 years ago

I got it back to playing screens all on
Not gonna mess with it
I guess I will pick up one of those usb sticks you mentioned from beat buy and try it tomorrow

#11880 3 years ago

In the club!

Capacitor fix installed w/knocker and shaker. Came with the EOS fix but uninstalled. Messing with the coil settings to get everything dialed in.

What’s the typical flipper setting? 27 seems to work for me, but I like faster games.

240DC494-FF4E-4C32-BA8B-CBECB5C1E56B (resized).jpeg240DC494-FF4E-4C32-BA8B-CBECB5C1E56B (resized).jpeg
#11881 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

In the club!
Capacitor fix installed w/knocker and shaker. Came with the EOS fix but uninstalled. Messing with the coil settings to get everything dialed in.
What’s the typical flipper setting? 27 seems to work for me, but I like faster games. [quoted image]

Im back up to 27 on the flippers after the capacitor install. Its really perfect, I can finally make the ramp again!

#11882 3 years ago

I did a few of the recommended fixes, so thanks for the good advice in the thread. I dropped the flippers about 1/8 in and noticed there was no flipper gap. I adjusted the gap and holy crap, super powerful! I had to dial down from 27 to 25. Still learning shot geometry.

I also added drop dead foam to the stage and the pinballlife squares fit *perfectly.* This reduced the stage rejects.

Oh, and I sacrificed a 6.3V Comet LED to the pinball gods in the coin door. Didn’t realize it was 12V.

532CC695-B1FC-4CF7-905D-9E698C64E7F6 (resized).jpeg532CC695-B1FC-4CF7-905D-9E698C64E7F6 (resized).jpeg
#11883 3 years ago

I set the flippers back in line with the guide holes. Shots are much better, so I suppose it’s game dependent on a lot of factors.

Is there a way to clear the balls after each game? Locked balls or balls in the subway seem to remain in place.

#11884 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I set the flippers back in line with the guide holes. Shots are much better, so I suppose it’s game dependent on a lot of factors.
Is there a way to clear the balls after each game? Locked balls or balls in the subway seem to remain in place.

I asked that same question about clearing the locked balls awhile back and was told they just stay there as it was intended to be that way so pretty sure that they should be locked like that even after the game is over. Definitely is different though.

#11885 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

I asked that same question about clearing the locked balls awhile back and was told they just stay there as it was intended to be that way so pretty sure that they should be locked like that even after the game is over. Definitely is different though.

Part of the magic, never knowing where the ball will re-appear, also why there are no eject alerts.

#11886 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Part of the magic, never knowing where the ball will re-appear, also why there are no eject alerts.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Definitely different than what I’m used to.

If I need to work on a game, I’ll manually eject balls from the trough and pop the hood. For Houdini, the past few times I’ve popped the hood, balls are locked who knows where and drop all over the place.

I’ll have to use my magnetic wand in the future.

#11887 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Definitely different than what I’m used to.
If I need to work on a game, I’ll manually eject balls from the trough and pop the hood. For Houdini, the past few times I’ve popped the hood, balls are locked who knows where and drop all over the place.
I’ll have to use my magnetic wand in the future.

There is something in settings that releases all the balls.

#11888 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

There is something in settings that releases all the balls.

Service-> utilities -> clear houdini’s balls

#11889 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Service-> utilities -> clear houdini’s balls

I tried that when I was initially troubleshooting. Here’s what happened.

Balls began clearing from the trough over and over. I tried to catch most of them but a few escaped. Then the auto launcher went bananas and became super sluggish, not even able to release one ball.

None of these things are a huge deal. It’s pinball ownership. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a setting after the game to release all the balls.

#11890 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I tried that when I was initially troubleshooting. Here’s what happened.
Balls began clearing from the trough over and over. I tried to catch most of them but a few escaped. Then the auto launcher went bananas and became super sluggish, not even able to release one ball.
None of these things are a huge deal. It’s pinball ownership. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a setting after the game to release all the balls.

Stuff a rag in the bottom, between the flippers to prevent balls from draining, that's what I do.

#11891 3 years ago

IMG_20201228_214836_645 (resized).jpgIMG_20201228_214836_645 (resized).jpg

since i got the game, of course did get the ENCORE BONUS, did played the movie wizard, but seems it will be very hard to go to the magician big wizard mode, as collecting 7 letters seems more than hot

#11892 3 years ago

Hi all, waiting on a 250-game Houdini being delivered to me in two weeks, and trying to catch up on what to expect and what to do first. I am on page 110 of this thread of the 240 or so pages!!!)
Lots of learning and I think the game will have its quirks, but worth the trouble. That said, The flipper issue is curious because it SHOULD BE so straight-forward. I count four ‘fixes’ mentioned here that are involved and if implemented should resolve once and for all...

1) add the 48v additional regulated supply (API kit on order)
2) add the EOS switches using API kit on order
3) update firmware to latest version available next week (ready to download)
4) swap the flipper coils to the more traditional 11630’s in use by many other games with strong hold section. ( have two on order already)

Is is safe to say that issue will be gone if I do all of these.?

#11893 3 years ago

Hi all, waiting on a 250-game Houdini being delivered to me in two weeks, and trying to catch up on what to expect and what to do first. I am on page 110 of this thread of the 240 or so pages!!!)
Lots of learning and I think the game will have its quirks, but worth the trouble. That said, The flipper issue is curious because it SHOULD BE so straight-forward. I count four ‘fixes’ mentioned here that are involved and if implemented should resolve once and for all...
1) add the 48v additional regulated supply (API kit on order)
2) add the EOS switches using API kit on order
3) update firmware to latest version available next week (ready to download)
4) swap the flipper coils to the more traditional 11630’s in use by many other games with strong hold section. ( have two on order already)
Is is safe to say that issue will be gone if I do all of these.?

5) Purchase API flipper coil capacitor kit.

#11894 3 years ago

heu... well... just scored this, and only 1 letter was missing to MASTER MAGICIAN
lots of pts caming from the ENCORE BONUS, i was in the 5B+ range and jump to 14B+ ... but honestly dont ask me why/how, i see a "8X" on the screen but !?
than also played & won "great jail escape" (4B+)

Rosh, some code/scoring explanation may be ? tanx

IMG_20201229_163916_972 (resized).jpgIMG_20201229_163916_972 (resized).jpg

#11895 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

5) Purchase API flipper coil capacitor kit.

I purchased the capacitor kit as well, but did not see any mention of it connected with the flipper hold issue. Either case, I have that coming from API too...

Thanks!

#11896 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

heu... well... just scored this, and only 1 letter was missing to MASTER MAGICIAN
lots of pts caming from the ENCORE BONUS, i was in the 5B+ range and jump to 14B+ ... but honestly dont ask me why/how, i see a "8X" on the screen but !?
[quoted image]

Stop pressing all the switches by hand and put the glass back on! Geez.

JK, great scores - I've only got to 2.2M (did make it to Master Magician tho, but didn't complete). What are your settings? 3 or 5 balls? Wow, 43 min. That had to seriously wear you out.

#11897 3 years ago

tanx/lol

setup is of course in factory settings, except the few rules as it was "home suggested" on TILT forum

than you've reach MASTER MAGICIAN and "only" scored 2.2M ? seems strange & very low (or may be an old code ?)

#11898 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

ok, than about ENCORE BONUS, its (tanx Josh) : total_points + (avg stage act score * stage acts completed) * stage_multipler

and of course, i've missed, its not billions, but millions

#11899 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

tanx/lol
setup is of course in factory settings, except the few rules as it was "home suggested" on TILT forum
than you've reach MASTER MAGICIAN and "only" scored 2.2M ? seems strange & very low (or may be an old code ?)

Yep, got all the letters and heard the "Houdini" chant for the first time. I'm still on the the latest but official code, not the beta that's floating around. I think I have a photo of it somewhere in the thread here, I'll look for it tonight. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not the best player and probably stumbled into it w/o really stacking up the points like most.

Not long ago I sold my AS Pro, and I had ~ a 200-300M game on it. Kinda proud of myself. The gent I sold it to, his teenage kid (tournament player) sends a screen shot the very next day at 1.5B!

#11900 3 years ago

Put up a 1.6M GC yesterday by kind of noodling around. I’ll need to pull back extra balls, though, because the game kept handing them to me like candy. I’m thinking maybe 2 extra balls max?

Installing the EOS kit today after a few flipper collapses.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mclean, VA
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
$ 49.99
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 238 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/238 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.