20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 234 of 297.
#11651 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm officially in the club!! This game is great. I love the tight shots. I can't wait to see what it has to offer. Anyone think the game offers way too many extra balls? My game time are all above 12 mins right now which seems long.

Maybe change the difficulty setting to little harder?

#11652 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm officially in the club!! This game is great. I love the tight shots. I can't wait to see what it has to offer. Anyone think the game offers way too many extra balls? My game time are all above 12 mins right now which seems long.

Yeah, when I bought the game, and in order to check out the modes and features, I had mine initially set for 5 ball play and I’d get a ton of extra balls. I had games that lasted 40 minutes.... Ugh.
Set you extra ball point thresholds higher, adjust your other settings to award balls less frequently, and limit the number of extra balls. I also dropped to 3 balls per game.

#11653 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Yeah, when I bought the game, and in order to check out the modes and features, I had mine initially set for 5 ball play and I’d get a ton of extra balls. I had games that lasted 40 minutes.... Ugh.

Yes, same with us. Went down to 3 balls. much more reasonable. Didn't change the extra ball point threshold, but may do that too...

#11654 3 years ago

Has anyone removed the center post between the flippers?
This game is eventually going on route when I tire of it and the league players will get annoyed if people are playing for 12 mins + each.

#11655 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Has anyone removed the center post between the flippers?
This game is eventually going on route when I tire of it and the league players will get annoyed if people are playing for 12 mins + each.

It's kinda funny that you are complaining about long ball / game times when the most common complaint of this game is that it's too hard, the shots are too tight and are nearly un-makeable.

Personally I think the center post is appropriate for this game just because of how many balls can roll SDTM from the stage area as well as coming down the stage alley. Balancing it for route will be interesting because casual players can get destroyed and get frustrated by it pretty easily unless you have easier settings, ball saves enabled, etc. But if the majority of your route customers are league / really good players they may indeed not like the long ball times. The best solution may be to just install hard settings, disable ball-savers, etc. for league / tournament events.

#11656 3 years ago

27 min game this morning. 5 Houdini letters. Most I've gotten so far.

20201110_111732 (resized).jpg20201110_111732 (resized).jpg
#11657 3 years ago

there are a ton of adjustments, but setting max extra balls to 0 or 1 is the easiest way to shorten games.

I put in a decent amount of extra balls, given the depth of the game. Even if focusing on a single objective (stage vs movies vs escapes), that there is an EB somewhere along the way.

#11658 3 years ago

I greatly appreciate the Extra Balls if you really want to see the game. They only start stacking up if your really having a great game anyways.

#11659 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It's kinda funny that you are complaining about long ball / game times when the most common complaint of this game is that it's too hard, the shots are too tight and are nearly un-makeable.

While I agree the shots are tough, I feel like the ball returns well so I'm not getting tons of drains even though I might not be hitting things consistently. I guess I'm assuming if I'm averaging 12 min games then most people are going to be at least 6 which is still a long game in my mind.

I do appreciate the extra balls for home use as I can see more of the game.

#11660 3 years ago

man i have a hotwheels and really have to have a houdini next to it real soon.

#11661 3 years ago

Set on two extra balls. Does anyone experience a slight flipper lag during seance multi ball? I swear my flippers had a slight lag but maybe it was an illusion from all the magnets throwing the balls around.PXL_20201111_003924207.jpgPXL_20201111_003924207.jpg

PXL_20201111_003924207.jpgPXL_20201111_003924207.jpg
#11662 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Set on two extra balls. Does anyone experience a slight flipper lag during seance multi ball? I swear my flippers had a slight lag but maybe it was an illusion from all the magnets throwing the balls around.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yep, even with the upgraded power supply and the capacitor board I still get occasionally flipper issues primarily during Seance and even more-so if you have other multiballs going. It's not a show-stopper at all and the magnet action is amazing.

#11663 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Set on two extra balls. Does anyone experience a slight flipper lag during seance multi ball? I swear my flippers had a slight lag but maybe it was an illusion from all the magnets throwing the balls around.[quoted image][quoted image]

That score seems a bit low for a 23 minute game, usually any game I have that long is going to be at least 2M+ and I'm not particularly good at hitting / using Milkcan Multipliers.

#11664 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

That score seems a bit low for a 23 minute game, usually any game I have that long is going to be at least 2M+ and I'm not particularly good at hitting / using Milkcan Multipliers.

What's a milkcan multiplier? I don't know the rules. I was just trying to complete the tricks.

#11665 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

What's a milkcan multiplier? I don't know the rules. I was just trying to complete the tricks.

Hit the milk can loop, then immediately the ramp.

Rinse, repeat. 4x playfield multipliers or more are amazing.

#11666 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Here’s the rule sheet for the milk can shot:
MILKCAN PLAYFIELD MULTIPLIERS

The Milkcan loop (lower left loop) is a difficult shot that feeds the left inlane. Shooting the milkman loop immediately followed by the ramp will increase the playfield multiplier for X seconds. Each time this 2 shot combo is hit advances the multiple from 2X to 3X to 4X. Starting a mode via Stage Alley with a max milkcan multiplier gives 8X scoring.

#11667 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yep, even with the upgraded power supply and the capacitor board I still get occasionally flipper issues primarily during Seance and even more-so if you have other multiballs going. It's not a show-stopper at all and the magnet action is amazing.

Running the latest beta code during the last stream we played for 2.5 hrs with no loss of flipper power:

I recall Josh saying he modified the magnet usage a bit so they don't suck as much power during multiball.

#11668 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:Each time this 2 shot combo is hit advances the multiple from 2X to 3X to 4X. Starting a mode via Stage Alley with a max milkcan multiplier gives 8X scoring.

I'm going to try this tonight. I suck at hitting the milk can shot on purpose though. I can't get it dialed in.

#11669 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm going to try this tonight. I suck at hitting the milk can shot on purpose though. I can't get it dialed in.

It's the single toughest shot in the game, Joe Balcer *intentionally* made it crazy tough. If you have any of that Pinbits foam laying around, some owners have used that to great effect. Also, droop the flippers a tiny bit, like 1/8" and suddenly all the shots start to make sense.

#11670 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's the single toughest shot in the game, Joe Balcer *intentionally* made it crazy tough. If you have any of that Pinbits foam laying around, some owners have used that to great effect. Also, droop the flippers a tiny bit, like 1/8" and suddenly all the shots start to make sense.

The flipper droop is essential to this and other shots as is setting your game to the factory/manual recommend 6.0 degree incline. Since it’s a two-part shot: hit the loop and then the ramp, making the ramp is necessary. The ramp shot is way more doable at something less than 6.5 and apparently the game was designed to be set at 6.0.
I reset my incline and flippers a while back and the game went from great to, well ... more great

#11671 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

The ramp shot is

significantly harder to make AFTER making the milkcan loop than at any other time, not sure why.

#11672 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Also, droop the flippers a tiny bit, like 1/8" and suddenly all the shots start to make sense.

Are you saying use a straight edge to make the flipper even with the lane guide and then drop the tip 1/8 from there? Is this on both flippers?

#11673 3 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Are you saying use a straight edge to make the flipper even with the lane guide and then drop the tip 1/8 from there? Is this on both flippers?

Sorta.

Just adjust both flippers down about 1/8" from the factory setting, which was not inline with the guides.

The goodie bag has an alignment plastic to check your work if needed.

#11674 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Sorta.
Just adjust both flippers down about 1/8" from the factory setting, which was not inline with the guides.
The goodie bag has an alignment plastic to check your work if needed.

This. Loosen the grip enough so you can move the flipper around by hand (with some force, you don't want it super loose). Use the alignment plastic to line up the flippers accordingly. Remove the alignment plastic. Now with your hand, just slightly tip the flippers down. 1/8" or so, as pinballinreno said. Now tighten those suckers up!

BAM! Instant milk can shots. Ok, not really, but generally the shots do make more sense this way

The Milk can is HARD, but it is not impossible. I had a good friend who is a MUCH MUCH better player than I come over, and he said (Roger Sharpe style) "I bet you can't hit that milk can shot". Lo and behold, I got it, first try. For the life of me I can't remember if I'd dropped the flippers yet. I think so.

#11675 3 years ago

Curious if anyone has found a cool, Houdini or general magic themed fleece blanket to use as a cover. It was easy enough to find a Deadpool theme and an emoji theme (for my Dialed In!) on Amazon, but unless I want to pay $50-$60 for Houdini themed ones off of Etsy, I’m out of luck so far. Ideas?

#11676 3 years ago

about to aquire houdini over the next week and have some questions. I see one post above saying this is a 6.0 pitch game. Is that what most are using? Seems very low considering most have 6.5 at the low point.

Does the game have to be an exact pitch to have the milk can shoot right?

#11677 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

about to aquire houdini over the next week and have some questions. I see one post above saying this is a 6.0 pitch game. Is that what most are using? Seems very low considering most have 6.5 at the low point.
Does the game have to be an exact pitch to have the milk can shoot right?

Pitch can be between 6 and 6.5, sweet spot around 6.2

Milk can shot is more influenced by dropping the flippers a touch. use the flipper guide that comes with the game, and drop them an additional 1/8” or so

#11678 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pitch can be between 6 and 6.5, sweet spot around 6.2
Milk can shot is more influenced by dropping the flippers a touch. use the flipper guide that comes with the game, and drop them an additional 1/8” or so

I have no clue what drop the flippers means. You mean bring them closer to the playfield?

#11679 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I have no clue what drop the flippers means. You mean bring them closer to the playfield?

The first time I heard this I too was befuddled. Just loosen the flipper shafts enough to push the flippers back a hair (1/8 inch-ish), then tighten. Do not bring them closer to the playfield.

I had my game at 6.5 and then set it per factory at 6.0 and it totally made the ramp and other of the shots doable. I really didn’t find that it slowed down the game at all.

I also added the coil booster kit (a big capacitor mounted on the underside of the playfield) and now I get great flipper action and game play consistency.

Great game even before these adjustments

#11680 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

The first time I heard this I too was befuddled. Just loosen the flipper shafts enough to push the flippers back a hair (1/8 inch-ish), then tighten. Do not bring them closer to the playfield.
I had my game at 6.5 and then set it per factory at 6.0 and it totally made the ramp and other of the shots doable. I really didn’t find that it slowed down the game at all.
I also added the coil booster kit (a big capacitor mounted on the underside of the playfield) and now I get great flipper action and game play consistency.
Great game even before these adjustments

move flippers back meaning towards the apron? just pointing towards the middle more? pics would be good!

#11681 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

move flippers back meaning towards the apron? just pointing towards the middle more? pics would be good!

Wow!

(Yes in into the kirkland scotch again...)

#11682 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Toward the apron. Changes the trajectory off the bat a bit. Assists in more consistent milk can shots and I thought Stage Alley too

#11683 3 years ago
Quoted from SketchyMcDuff:

Curious if anyone has found a cool, Houdini or general magic themed fleece blanket to use as a cover. It was easy enough to find a Deadpool theme and an emoji theme (for my Dialed In!) on Amazon, but unless I want to pay $50-$60 for Houdini themed ones off of Etsy, I’m out of luck so far. Ideas?

like this? https://www.cafepress.com/+steampunk_wonderful_clockwork_with_gears_beach_to,171689859

Looks pretty good in reallife

#11684 3 years ago

Just got my houdini. I want to use the set back to factory settings to get everything including scores reset. But will that also take away code updates?

#11685 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Just got my houdini. I want to use the set back to factory settings to get everything including scores reset. But will that also take away code updates?

Nope! Go for it!

#11687 3 years ago

Is there a way to force restart a game on this? I dont see it in settings. Like stern, jjp when you hold start?

#11688 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Is there a way to force restart a game on this? I dont see it in settings. Like stern, jjp when you hold start?

hold the start button after ball one.
Its a setting in the service menu if it doesnt work.

#11689 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Toward the apron. Changes the trajectory off the bat a bit. Assists in more consistent milk can shots and I thought Stage Alley too

Adding to Zahner's comment, place a business card under the flipper to set the gap between the flipper and playfield if you decide to readjust them lower. That way the flipper won't accidently be too low and damage the playfield during play.

(I need to give LTG credit for that bit of wisdom.)

#11690 3 years ago

Look like the game is gaining popularity,so much fun and getting better.

#11691 3 years ago

hold the start button after ball one.
Its a setting in the service menu if it doesnt work.

You also have to hold it a bit longer than on a B/W or Stern game, so be patient!

#11692 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Adding to Zahner's comment, place a business card under the flipper to set the gap between the flipper and playfield if you decide to readjust them lower. That way the flipper won't accidently be too low and damage the playfield during play.
(I need to give LTG credit for that bit of wisdom.)

actually you want to gap the space between the flipper and the bushing. If it is too tight to the bushing, it will wear faster and also cause issues with flipper movement. If you pull up and down on the flipper it should move slightly. The bushing, if not worn down, should keep the flipper from scraping the playfield.

There is actually a tool for this, that has a notch in it to make it easier to use. You can obviously create your own, but if you're ordering stuff . . .

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8194
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0162-00

#11693 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

actually you want to gap the space between the flipper and the bushing. If it is too tight to the bushing, it will wear faster and also cause issues with flipper movement. If you pull up and down on the flipper it should move slightly. The bushing, if not worn down, should keep the flipper from scraping the playfield.
There is actually a tool for this, that has a notch in it to make it easier to use. You can obviously create your own, but if you're ordering stuff . . .
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8194
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0162-00

Thanks for clarifying Josh!

#11694 3 years ago

Only had a few hours and only played 10 games. Feels like a jjp game but with tougher narrower shots. Lower pitch and weaker flippers make it slower like a jjp. On my jjp games i turn up the flipper coil strength. Does anyone here do that on houdini? Im at 6.2 pitch and put flipper power each up 1

#11695 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Only had a few hours and only played 10 games. Feels like a jjp game but with tougher narrower shots. Lower pitch and weaker flippers make it slower like a jjp. On my jjp games i turn up the flipper coil strength. Does anyone here do that on houdini? Im at 6.2 pitch and put flipper power each up 1

Too high of flipper power and you get a lot of stage rejects.
Too low and you cant make the ramp...

It takes a couple games to set it up so that everything works good.

I think im up plus one or 2 from factory.

Both flippers dont have to be the same power.
But the game has to play well.

My left is always up 1 from the right.

#11696 3 years ago

Too high of flipper power and you get a lot of stage rejects.
Too low and you cant make the ramp...
It takes a couple games to set it up so that everything works good.
I think im up plus one or 2 from factory.
Both flippers dont have to be the same power.
But the game has to play well.
My left is always up 1 from the right.

Yea i went too high and stage rejects happened a lot. But factory is insanely weak. Up 2 for each now on 6.2 pitch. See how that goes.

#11697 3 years ago

Ok. Set the game back to default settings, 3 balls. Flippers each up 1 point. Got the grand champion at 1.13m. Finished the milk can and bullet tricks which was fun. Love the knocker on the bullet trick.

Whats a really good score on this game?

#11698 3 years ago

AlsoSorry for all the posts. Wondering what mods people really like for this game? Saw the straight jacket which looks cool. What else?

#11699 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

AlsoSorry for all the posts. Wondering what mods people really like for this game? Saw the straight jacket which looks cool. What else?

I think Houdin is so well appointed that little seems necessary. However, there were a few I added that worked out well

I like the facade
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1080-the-mod-couple/01864-api-houdini-api-grand-theater-3d-facade-makeover-mod

Also have the robot from Mid Couple, but that’s sold out probably for good.

The steampunk shooter, which is currently sold out, but might be worth asking about if you like it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1045-mods-for-your-pinballs/01572-houdini-s-steampunk-shooter-rod

The planchette
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1164-mod-magic/02153-houdini-planchette

and I love my ModFather cup
https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/houdini/products/houdini-pincup

#11700 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I think Houdin is so well appointed that little seems necessary. However, there were a few I added that worked out well
I like the facade
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1080-the-mod-couple/01864-api-houdini-api-grand-theater-3d-facade-makeover-mod
Also have the robot from Mid Couple, but that’s sold out probably for good.
The steampunk shooter, which is currently sold out, but might be worth asking about if you like it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1045-mods-for-your-pinballs/01572-houdini-s-steampunk-shooter-rod
The planchette
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1164-mod-magic/02153-houdini-planchette
and I love my ModFather cup
https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/houdini/products/houdini-pincup

Thanks! I have the facade already, but I really like that shooter rod.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 234 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/234 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.