New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 183206)

American Pinball Houdini thread

By lllvjr

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11,766 posts
  • 632 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Don44
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,545 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
PXL_20201125_235431894.jpg
20201125_181721550_iOS (resized).jpg
67C59F8B-6D1D-4D4A-A3EE-83FACDF6318F (resized).jpeg
4E73C318-2BE2-4A27-B62A-D04C56A1BCC1 (resized).jpeg
4798D04D-98E0-46B0-ACFC-328381106765 (resized).jpeg
AFE31B92-5653-44E1-B4DF-32A1511AD81F (resized).jpeg
0C31DB62-FCE5-4429-AEA1-6142DCE9325E (resized).jpeg
3072E1B4-E767-454E-8B52-C2B26EA5ED22 (resized).jpeg
78C86DFC-C642-4CD5-9FFE-43D05E392D78 (resized).jpeg
B9DAF8C0-22E7-476F-B8EE-3F8341281418 (resized).jpeg
5938E1CB-BC59-4F62-A5A1-D410A57B94EB (resized).jpeg
Black-Friday-02 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201111_003924207.jpg
PXL_20201111_003924207.jpg
20201110_111732 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11766 posts in this topic. You are on page 233 of 236.
#11601 35 days ago
Quoted from ronzomatic:

I bought machine new in May but this recently started. It happens on power-up. I have tried many times to do a shutdowm and restart with no luck. I even tried to reload latest release but I am guessing it is not getting far enough along in the process to check the USB drive for an install. Thanks...
I did open a formal request on the American Pinball website as well.
Thanks...
Ron

Quoted from rosh:

PM sent with next steps.

Curious on what ended up being the solution for this?
r/
Mike

#11602 35 days ago

I have scratch my monitor protective lens (part number: PLS0017-00).
Is it possible to buy a new one...? And where...?
Another solutions / ideas are welcome as well.
Thanks

658A843B-EC4C-4436-98B0-10C01EA56B0A (resized).jpeg8564D511-B0C1-4B8E-88FD-09D96DEB38CD (resized).jpeg
#11603 35 days ago

Email American Pinball with the part number.

#11604 35 days ago

I've never even looked at that monitor in Houdini or in the Hobbit.

#11605 35 days ago
Quoted from lykkeman:

Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

buff it out?

#11606 33 days ago

Any of our esteemed and attentive American Pinball friends on this post have any updates on when an official Houdini code update will be out of beta testing and available as a full release?

#11607 33 days ago

My friend just purchased a Houdini Pinball machine and we are a little confused on what the Milk can shot does. The light stays on and when we hit the shot and it doesn't score any points. It makes a sound when we hit the shot so we know the switch is registering.

thanx

#11608 33 days ago
Quoted from Joe-Ker:

My friend just purchased a Houdini Pinball machine and we are a little confused on what the Milk can shot does. The light stays on and when we hit the shot and it doesn't score any points. It makes a sound when we hit the shot so we know the switch is registering.
thanx

Nothing happens unless you hit the ramp right away. Here’s the rule sheet for the milk can shot:

MILKCAN PLAYFIELD MULTIPLIERS

Color: Orange

The Milkcan loop (lower left loop) is a difficult shot that feeds the left inlane. Shooting the milkman loop immediately followed by the ramp will increase the playfield multiplier for X seconds. Each time this 2 shot combo is hit advances the multiple from 2X to 3X to 4X. Starting a mode via Stage Alley with a max milkcan multiplier gives 8X scoring.

#11609 33 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Damn, come home after being away for two weeks and jonesing to play Houdini but the 5VDC is dead so the P3-Roc board is incommunicado. Looks like they use a sealed DC-DC converter for both the 5 and 12 VDC, time to work on that google-fu. I did open a support case and e-mail Dave / Service as well just for the fun of it but since the 12 VDC works I'm pretty confident this is the problem.

Just a quick update on this, it was a bad 5VDC supply and I found the identical part on ebay for a pretty reasonable price so I just ordered from there. Installation was a little bit of a pain but not too bad. Happy to have Houdini back up and running again!!

#11610 30 days ago
Quoted from lykkeman:

It would be cheaper to either buff out the scratches or cut a new piece of lexan or polycarbonate from your local hardware store.

#11611 30 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

the 5VDC is dead so the P3-Roc board is incommunicado

I just had something similar happen but in my case I found a bulging capacitor on the 5V output. Replacing the off-brand cap with a decent part from a quality supplier was easy enough. I also touched up a few sad looking (cold) solder joints. The Overall build quality of Houdini is quite good. But the original power supply has been less than impressive.

#11612 29 days ago

Printed my own Q today!

image (resized).jpg
#11613 29 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Printed my own Q today![quoted image]

Wow, came out great!

#11614 29 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s so cool!

#11615 28 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Selling some?

#11616 28 days ago

Happy Al' Hallow's Eve Houdini Fans.
I have made a Limited run of Planchett's again for Halloween and Houdini Seance Day!
Back in my Mod Magic Shop and ready to ship today.
Play your Houdini Tomorrow and Let's bring him back from the beyond.
Tomorrow is the 94th anniversary of his death.
image (resized).jpg

image (3) (resized).jpg
#11617 28 days ago

No - I have way too much going on to do mods at this point. He’s available on thingiverse though!

#11618 28 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

No - I have way too much going on to do mods at this point. He’s available on thingiverse though!

Thanks, I totally Understand. Life is busy.
Took me forever to make more planchette's.

#11619 28 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Happy Al' Hallow's Eve Houdini Fans.
I have made a Limited run of Planchett's again for Halloween and Houdini Seance Day!
Back in my Mod Magic Shop and ready to ship today.
Play your Houdini Tomorrow and Let's bring him back from the beyond.
Tomorrow is the 94th anniversary of his death.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Fun upgrade. Very well made. Here’s a photo of an installed planchette. I added a bit of diffusion plastic on the back since my game has the more cut crystal looking inserts. Thought it looked better.

3C4F6350-CE79-4AFF-9579-2B1FA0208605 (resized).jpeg
#11620 28 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Fun upgrade. Very well made. Here’s a photo of an installed planchette. I added a bit of diffusion plastic on the back since my game has the more cut crystal looking inserts. Thought it looked better.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the Pic!
Diffusion gel is a good idea.

#11621 28 days ago

Thanks for the Pic!
Diffusion gel is a good idea.

Those planchettes are awesome! Installed mine day one. No red crystal yet though

#11622 28 days ago

Question about a problem that recently started, tried searching a bit but no luck. When the stage mission opens up, I hit it and the stage closes and the ball drops down, but then nothing happens.

After some time it kicks it out of the scoop, but it seems like something is not getting triggered correctly. Going to take the glass of and start poking around, but thought I might speed things up if it turns out it's a known problem.

#11623 28 days ago
Quoted from bignickolson:

Question about a problem that recently started, tried searching a bit but no luck. When the stage mission opens up, I hit it and the stage closes and the ball drops down, but then nothing happens.
After some time it kicks it out of the scoop, but it seems like something is not getting triggered correctly. Going to take the glass of and start poking around, but thought I might speed things up if it turns out it's a known problem.

Check and adjust the switch under it.

#11624 27 days ago
Quoted from bignickolson:

The optos that detect locked balls can get knocked out of alignment on the subway pretty easily. Pull the PF and make sure they are securely mounted and aligned properly to the holes. Test them with balls first in switch test mode if you prefer (you can drop balls in there from under the trunk fairly easily with a little help from a dowel rod or screwdriver).

#11625 27 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The optos that detect locked balls can get knocked out of alignment on the subway pretty easily. Pull the PF and have make sure they are securely mounted and aligned properly to the holes.

What bobukat said above.
The foil tape to hold the optos especially on cabinet side isnt the best tape. I put just a little dab of hot glue on those 2 years ago covered them up with a stronger gorilla tape and they have held since. Watch not to bump those 3 optos on cabinet side everytime you lift and lower playfield.

#11626 27 days ago

Guys, having a wierd issue that just started. The attract mode that give facts about houdini and does the quotes is no longer working. When I suenthe flipper buttons when not in play, I can move through everything, but the screen goes black when the facts or quotes section comes on. Can anyone point me in the correct direction? Ive done nothing new, and changed nothing, and this is the first day it quit working. Seems like it may be in the computer but who knows. I also tried unplugging for a while, and that didnt help either.

#11627 27 days ago

This is pretty cool. Looks like they programmed houdini not to state facts on 10/31
I changed the date in the machine multiple times, and it works like it should, until the date is 10/31 then the game goes black on facts and tips. Anyone else with correct date wanna test this theory? Im running 19.4.7

If in fact intentional, kind of a cool easter egg marking his death on this date.

#11628 27 days ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

This is pretty cool. Looks like they programmed houdini not to state facts on 10/31
I changed the date in the machine multiple times, and it works like it should, until the date is 10/31 then the game goes black on facts and tips. Anyone else with correct date wanna test this theory? Im running 19.4.7
If in fact intentional, kind of a cool easter egg marking his death on this date.

Its Haunting Magic!

#11629 27 days ago

Its Haunting Magic!

Lol, pretty cool on the coding! Im met with a black screen on 10/31

20201031_134451 (resized).jpg
#11630 27 days ago

Hmm, actually should be a special message regarding the anniversary of his death. But I guess a black screen works.

#11631 27 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

Hmm, actually should be a special message regarding the anniversary of his death. But I guess a black screen works.

Well, now I must know. What is the message? Will a new code update help? Perhaps the file is corrupt or something....but very cool idea none the less. Well done!

#11632 27 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yep, black screen here too.
Trivia and tips are offline, lol.

#11633 26 days ago

I love my Houdini machine, i just wish it wouldn't show me what an atrocious player i am everytime i play it. It's rough.

#11634 26 days ago

Confirmed, trivia and tips back up on nov 1st.

#11635 26 days ago

Damn! [Even though apparently it's bugged,] I have been wanting to check that out for a full year! code update

#11636 25 days ago

I noticed a minor bug on test code. If you outlane drain with a outlane mode lit, you still get the outlane mode call out even though you getting the ball back under ball save.

#11637 25 days ago

FIXED my COIL strength problem... Long Story - shor:

- Had problems with my coil strength. So flippers was strong and a second later it was weak... The game was unplayable.
- Changed the coils for Williams FL11629
- Got a new powersupply from my Distro - but no Meanweall - a cheap chinese no name 48V power supply
- Bought a new 60V no name china power supply --> same spongy and weak flippers
- Bought the coil improvement kit --> was a bit better but not as good as i read here in the thread
- Got me a brand new meanwell RSP-750-48 - and BOOM now the game works as it should .... not at 100% but 95%

Now I have to adjust the coil power and the pitch. But I'm not complete happy with the flippers. there is definitely still room for improvement.
But so far I can enjoy the game.

#11638 24 days ago

I think it would be better to have two additional capacitors like 6800 63V for the other two 48V rails on PD-16 boards. But I'm not a professional electronic engineer, but i have seen this solution with more then one cap on Spooky games, and also Proc provides a power entry board....

Hope some can chime in and can give some feedback

#11639 24 days ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

FIXED my COIL strength problem... Long Story - shor:
- Had problems with my coil strength. So flippers was strong and a second later it was weak... The game was unplayable.
- Changed the coils for Williams FL11629
- Got a new powersupply from my Distro - but no Meanweall - a cheap chinese no name 48V power supply
- Bought a new 60V no name china power supply --> same spongy and weak flippers
- Bought the coil improvement kit --> was a bit better but not as good as i read here in the thread
- Got me a brand new meanwell RSP-750-48 - and BOOM now the game works as it should .... not at 100% but 95%
Now I have to adjust the coil power and the pitch. But I'm not complete happy with the flippers. there is definitely still room for improvement.
But so far I can enjoy the game.

I'm having similar problems with the coil improvement kit not helping much. Do you have a link to the meanwell RSP-750-48 you mentioned installing and it giving you better results? Thanks Dave

#11640 24 days ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

I'm having similar problems with the coil improvement kit not helping much. Do you have a link to the meanwell RSP-750-48 you mentioned installing and it giving you better results? Thanks Dave

This one:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/RSP-750-48/7706358

It's more stable during heavy powerloads as these cheap powersupplys and yes its an improvement. But under heavy load a "coil improvement kit" or a capacitor-filter-board for the other two 48V pd-16 board rails would help to bring the heavy loads and peaks a bit more down... I will try to build my own boards and try to find a fix, cause all other manufactures use more then one capacitor (spooky, Stern,..) also you find Fast and proc input power filter boards (with more then 2 caps) and i think there is a reason why!

So also the actual "coil improvement kit" is a cheap and ok fix - but not 100% enough for me.

#11641 24 days ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

This one:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/RSP-750-48/7706358
It's more stable during heavy powerloads as these cheap powersupplys and yes its an improvement. But under heavy load a "coil improvement kit" or a capacitor-filter-board for the other two 48V pd-16 board rails would help to bring the heavy loads and peaks a bit more down... I will try to build my own boards and try to find a fix, cause all other manufactures use more then one capacitor (spooky, Stern,..) also you find Fast and proc input power filter boards (with more then 2 caps) and i think there is a reason why!
So also the actual "coil improvement kit" is a cheap and ok fix - but not 100% enough for me.

Interestingly enough that is exactly the model of upgraded power supply I received when I bought it directly from American Pinball. The capacitor add-on is still necessary though, as you said.

#11642 24 days ago

Same here, direct from AP

20201023_131614 (resized).jpg
#11643 24 days ago
Quoted from Rshackxd:

Same here, direct from AP
[quoted image]

Ditto.

#11644 24 days ago

Yep. Same here.

#11645 24 days ago

That's awesome Fron AP!!!!

#11646 24 days ago

So after assistance from another member in here he said my power supply is the newer one (see pic) so it should be working fine along with the coil capacitor that was added but I still experience loss of strength during multi balls to the right flipper and also the right flipper in general is much weaker than the left one. Thoughts or suggestions? I’ll reach out to technical support as well.

16845213-10CF-4AFE-A07B-2F52142158FB (resized).jpeg
#11647 24 days ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

So after assistance from another member in here he said my power supply is the newer one (see pic) so it should be working fine along with the coil capacitor that was added but I still experience loss of strength during multi balls to the right flipper and also the right flipper in general is much weaker than the left one. Thoughts or suggestions? I’ll reach out to technical support as well.
[quoted image]

There was speculation there may be a code-related way to address it; perhaps when the new code comes out? It’s been beta tested AFAIK

#11648 24 days ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

I still experience loss of strength during multi balls to the right flipper and also the right flipper in general is much weaker than the left one. Thoughts or suggestions? I’ll reach out to technical support as well.

Both flipper coils are on the same brown bank of the coil driver. Take a look at the mechanics of the flipper. The plunger going into the coil should be smooth and straight.
If you feel a drag when you move the bat up, it needs adjusting.

You can also try swapping the coils to see if the issue moves.

#11649 23 days ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

[quoted image]

This is new Power supply and that should Work fine. The Flippers should be work the same way. As brenna98 said Check for mechanical issues and Swap Out the coils. Also Check the Return springs.
Both flippers should work smooth and with no resistance.

Also Check your coil settings in menu so that they have about the same settings .

Under heavy loads with Magnets and coils my flippers get weak but that's related to unbuffered peaks from the 48 Other rails.

#11650 17 days ago

I'm officially in the club!! This game is great. I love the tight shots. I can't wait to see what it has to offer. Anyone think the game offers way too many extra balls? My game time are all above 12 mins right now which seems long.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Roswell, GA
$ 50.00
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 11766 posts in this topic. You are on page 233 of 236.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside