20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 232 of 297.
#11551 3 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

A friend of mine got a knocker kit from American which was wired incorrectly, it caused all sort of problems and damage. I have been delaying putting my knocker in to my Houdini because of it. Is there anyway to tell if this is correctly wired?[quoted image]

I received my knocker kit 2 weeks ago. I haven't installed it yet.

My knocker kit has a diode bridging the 2 pins on the connector....your connector doesn't have that diode. I don't which is right.

DSC_5311 (resized).JPGDSC_5311 (resized).JPG
#11552 3 years ago

I just looked at my knocker kit installed and working, it has a diode PXL_20201002_135917522.jpgPXL_20201002_135917522.jpg

#11553 3 years ago

Thanks guys, clearly something is wrong.

#11554 3 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

A friend of mine got a knocker kit from American which was wired incorrectly, it caused all sort of problems and damage. I have been delaying putting my knocker in to my Houdini because of it. Is there anyway to tell if this is correctly wired? This is all the kit came with. I think a connector is missing.
[quoted image]

You'd have to post a picture that shows the diode for us to know if it's wired correctly or not, coils themselves have no polarity.

EDIT: I posted before looking at the rest of the thread: no other coils in Houdini have diodes so it's odd they added one to this but maybe because it's driven by the add-on board instead of a PD-16 it needs one. Probably want to ask brenna98 for some guidance on that.

#11555 3 years ago

My coil has no diode..

#11556 3 years ago

I bought the kit a few years ago. I suppose it is possible something changed since then

#11557 3 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I bought the kit a few years ago. I suppose it is possible something changed since then

Me too - purchased when it first came out, and mine has the diode. Never a problem with the knocker.

#11558 3 years ago

Spoke with Dave at American he confirms it needs the diode.

#11559 3 years ago

I just installed my knocker 30 minutes ago. I ordered my kit last week, and it came with the diode. Id exchange that kit for the known update.

#11560 3 years ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

I just installed my knocker 30 minutes ago. I ordered my kit last week, and it came with the diode. Id exchange that kit for the known update.

Or just add a diode...

#11561 3 years ago

I just replaced the coil on the scoop because the original had fried on me. AP sent me a new coil and driver board (under warranty). When i installed the new coil I noticed the little switch in the scoop was rubbing hard against the post. This might have been the problem along. I am thinking on bending the metal so it does not impede the post movement but am hesitant until someone can give me confirmation. It just does not make sense to me that the switch should be touching the post. But as I am new to pinball maint. I thought I would ask you guys.Thanks

#11562 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

I just replaced the coil on the scoop because the original had fried on me. AP sent me a new coil and driver board (under warranty). When i installed the new coil I noticed the little switch in the scoop was rubbing hard against the post. This might have been the problem along. I am thinking on bending the metal so it does not impede the post movement but am hesitant until someone can give me confirmation. It just does not make sense to me that the switch should be touching the post. But as I am new to pinball maint. I thought I would ask you guys.Thanks

The switch should NOT be touching the post.

#11563 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The switch should NOT be touching the post.

I thought so thanks

#11564 3 years ago

I installed the coil performance kit last night. It was fairly easy to install, there is very little slack in the cable you take off J5 I made it work but barely.. Game seems to be more stable I had 6 balls flying around and the catapult still hit the trunk! that blew me away... Glad I installed it, the kit definitely is worth it.

#11565 3 years ago

Just joined the Houdini club today. About twenty plays in the right flipper is stuck up. Here’s a pic of the left flipper is this spiral coil (sorry might not be the right name) supposed to go into one of the holes on the board it’s attached to or no? I see it’s currently attached to the edge of the metal plate. My right one I need a new piece as the end of it looks like it broke off so not sure exactly how to reattach and when I do if it should go in on one of the holes or not since my left one isn’t. Also can that part be bought at a local store or need to order from one of the pin sites? Thanks for any assistance. Love the pin though and was just starting to get use to the shots and flow of it.

CCC46D76-4709-46C7-869F-2439297EBC6C (resized).jpegCCC46D76-4709-46C7-869F-2439297EBC6C (resized).jpeg

#11566 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Just joined the Houdini club today. About twenty plays in the right flipper is stuck up. Here’s a pic of the left flipper is this spiral coil (sorry might not be the right name) supposed to go into one of the holes on the board it’s attached to or no? I see it’s currently attached to the edge of the metal plate. My right one I need a new piece as the end of it looks like it broke off so not sure exactly how to reattach and when I do if it should go in on one of the holes or not since my left one isn’t. Also can that part be bought at a local store or need to order from one of the pin sites? Thanks for any assistance. Love the pin though and was just starting to get use to the shots and flow of it.
[quoted image]

Are you saying that the flipper return spring broke off?

Just bend a new loop on the end of the existing broken spring and reattach it.

It will work perfectly.

#11567 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

[quoted image]

That’s a bummer, but an easy fix if it’s just that the flipper spring busted. You can get one from American Pinball. It’s here:

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-flipper-spring-set?_pos=1&_sid=22c4d4f92&_ss=r

Get a couple. When I bought my game a spring broke. As I recall they said there was something wrong with a batch. In the meantime, if it broke close to the end of the spring, you can get a needle nose and bend the end of the spring to make a new hook on the end. Just look at the left side and you’ll see how to hook it up. Kind of a half baked temporary fix, but it will take a few days for the replacement to arrive. I’d call and order the springs. They just popped mine in an envelope the same day.

#11568 3 years ago

Thanks for the info I ordered a few of these as I don’t think I can make what’s left of the one end work. Though this isn’t in the easiest area to get your hands in that’s for sure.

Quoted from zahner:

That’s a bummer, but an easy fix if it’s just that the flipper spring busted. You can get one from American Pinball. It’s here:
https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-flipper-spring-set?_pos=1&_sid=22c4d4f92&_ss=r
Get a couple. When I bought my game a spring broke. As I recall they said there was something wrong with a batch. In the meantime, if it broke close to the end of the spring, you can get a needle nose and bend the end of the spring to make a new hook on the end. Just look at the left side and you’ll see how to hook it up. Kind of a half baked temporary fix, but it will take a few days for the replacement to arrive. I’d call and order the springs. They just popped mine in an envelope the same day.

#11569 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Thanks for the info I ordered a few of these as I don’t think I can make what’s left of the one end work. Though this isn’t in the easiest area to get your hands in that’s for sure.

If only the end loop broke off the spring, its a simple fix to grab a new loop off the end of the spring and bend it out.

A picture would help.

#11570 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

If only the end loop broke off the spring, its a simple fix to grab a new loop off the end of the spring and bend it out.
A picture would help.

Yeah, post pictures. You should be able to bend the end loop out. Never met a broken spring I couldn’t make into a shorter, temporary spring.

#11571 3 years ago

Couple questions I haven't seen come up.

Is anyone having difficulty with a stage or movie mode that uses the orbits? I can hit the orbits over and over and do not seem to be advancing during the said mode, however, I'm set on easy mode and the MAGIC targets spot the orbit shot just fine. Switches are fine.

Is anyone noticing loosing the entire GI after a mode and it continues off even into the next ball? (It will eventually come back on)

#11572 3 years ago
Quoted from Rshackxd:

Is anyone having difficulty with a stage or movie mode that uses the orbits? I can hit the orbits over and over and do not seem to be advancing during the said mode, however, I'm set on easy mode and the MAGIC targets spot the orbit shot just fine. Switches are fine.
Is anyone noticing loosing the entire GI after a mode and it continues off even into the next ball? (It will eventually come back on)

Most likely the switch is fine, but the spinner arm isn’t registering when it turns. Check it with a ball in test - make sure the switch is actually clicking when the spinner arm turns. 99.999% it’s a mechanical issue.

Not sure on the GI, but the first thing i’d check is to make sure that all your connections are snug under the playfield. You may have one that wiggled loose, or a Wire that popped out of the connector (rare, but it happens!)

Go Yellow Jackets!

#11573 3 years ago

I can hear the spinner sound when hit. I'll check again. Do you see it get any real feedback (mode progression) when hitting orbits or spinner? The video screen never changes and I can just rip the orbits and spinner with no feeling of actually completing or advancing the mode. Maybe I just need to watch some streams to see what happens on other machines.

#11574 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Yeah, post pictures. You should be able to bend the end loop out. Never met a broken spring I couldn’t make into a shorter, temporary spring.

Thanks I got this fixed last night doing what a few of you suggested. Took a bit to get the spring back on but so far my reshaping the one end has worked fine. Ordered a few as spares as well.

#11575 3 years ago
Quoted from Rshackxd:

On the GI - I believe it is a software issue. I was experiencing it with regularity and reported it to Josh. I believe it has been eliminated in the new beta.

#11576 3 years ago

I'm running test code and its still happening with the GI. I will report it to Josh. (Sucks because I was close to master magician when I lost GI)

I got the orbits registering now, I didnt notice the middle switch was stuck closed.

#11577 3 years ago
Quoted from Rshackxd:

I'm running test code and its still happening with the GI. I will report it to Josh. (Sucks because I was close to master magician when I lost GI)
I got the orbits registering now, I didnt notice the middle switch was stuck closed.

Are you running the beta test code that just came out a few weeks ago or the older one?

#11578 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Thanks I got this fixed last night doing what a few of you suggested. Took a bit to get the spring back on but so far my reshaping the one end has worked fine. Ordered a few as spares as well.

Yeah, springs can be a pain to get on. Glad you are up and running until you get your new springs.

#11579 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Are you running the beta test code that just came out a few weeks ago or the older one?

Geez I forgot there was a beta recently, was going to pitch a fit how is it looking?

#11580 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Do you know where I can get the new beta code,had to stop using the first beta too many issues.

#11581 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Do you know where I can get the new beta code,had to stop using the first beta too many issues.

Reach out to Josh, that’s his project. His Pinside name is Rosh. He holds the keys to that palace.

#11582 3 years ago

A huge shout out to API Service team especially API Electrical Engineer, Shalin Shah. I had a frustrating electrical issue that Shalin worked patiently to resolve after trying several solutions. I should note that I am not the original owner of my Houdini, but I can't say enough about the help I received from API. Also a big shout out to John Kugler (@rosh) who also patiently helped me directly with other questions. When we finally resolved my electrical issue, I also installed the API coil performance kit and my catapult shot into the truck has not missed since (100%). So my Houdini is working 100% and handles multi-balls, jackpots and catapult shots perfectly. And I put in the knocker kit (Bullet Catch illusion is fantastic w/real knocker). I really enjoy this machine and I don't see it leaving my collection.

IMG_1697.JPGIMG_1697.JPG
#11583 3 years ago

Im glad you like it, its a favorite of mine....

#11584 3 years ago

Josh has really gone out of his way to support this game.... (pssst! Josh! how's the beta coming?). Spending time with him and Joe Balcer at a long ago Allentown show sealed the deal for me. That game is never moving from here

#11585 3 years ago

Hey guys, I just picked up a Houdini and when playing a game the subway release starts to fire for no apparent reason and can fire up to 10 times. It also fires continuously in test mode .Has anyone had this issue before?

#11586 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Hey guys, I just picked up a Houdini and when playing a game the subway release starts to fire for no apparent reason and can fire up to 10 times. It also fires continuously in test mode .Has anyone had this issue before?

Check switches in the trough and the left ball lock, make sure they are working properly. It’s likely something triggering the game to think it needs to load balls

#11587 3 years ago

All the switches are working properly in test mode.

#11588 3 years ago

I wiggled around all the wires on all the switches in the trough and just messed with any switch that might be associated with it and all appears to be working properly now

#11589 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I wiggled around all the wires on all the switches in the trough and just messed with any switch that might be associated with it and all appears to be working properly now

Great! Make sure to check (with a ball) that the catapult switch works consistently, and the 3 switches in the left lock. Those are the ones I had the most trouble with. Be real careful with the left lock switches, they are a humongous pain to change if you break one

#11590 3 years ago

Hey, for those of you having a hard time making that trunk shot, here is a quick video I shot on how I can easily make this shot almost every time. Very short basic video, but it may help some of you make that shot. I find shooting from the right flipper way easier than the left. Ill also do a video on my trunk modifications that made the trunk much more reliable. In fact it hasnt missed a shot yet, and im on the original power supply.

#11591 3 years ago

Damn, come home after being away for two weeks and jonesing to play Houdini but the 5VDC is dead so the P3-Roc board is incommunicado. Looks like they use a sealed DC-DC converter for both the 5 and 12 VDC, time to work on that google-fu. I did open a support case and e-mail Dave / Service as well just for the fun of it but since the 12 VDC works I'm pretty confident this is the problem.

#11592 3 years ago

Just finished a few games on my Houdini.

All I can say is the capacitor upgrade is a complete game changer from where it was.

Im having to re-learn the whole game! What FUN!

After years of being idle, Its a whole new experiance!

The game is fun, energetic, fast and AMAZING!

Its a manditory upgrade in my opinion.

#11593 3 years ago

My right flipper return spring broke again so instead of bending a new loop—third time—I replaced the spring with one I have from a Bally/Williams rebuild kit. The replacement is a much stiffer spring and now the right flipper feels mushy so that will not do. I’ll buy new springs. But I am surprised because I thought that Houdini uses B/W flipper mechs. Am I wrong?

#11594 3 years ago
Quoted from PinNerd:

My right flipper return spring broke again so instead of bending a new loop—third time—I replaced the spring with one I have from a Bally/Williams rebuild kit. The replacement is a much stiffer spring and now the right flipper feels mushy so that will not do. I’ll buy new springs. But I am surprised because I thought that Houdini uses B/W flipper mechs. Am I wrong?

My right flipper spring broke as well about ten days ago. Fixed it myself and ordered new ones with rush shipping and nine days later still haven’t gotten my springs. Also curious what does everyone set there right flipper power to in the settings as I’d certainly like a little more juice? Guy I bought it from put the capacitor upgrade kit in it but man hate to think what it was like before that. I really enjoy the pin but you really have to finesse shots and work with the speed of the ball.

#11595 3 years ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Hey, for those of you having a hard time making that trunk shot, here is a quick video I shot on how I can easily make this shot almost every time. Very short basic video, but it may help some of you make that shot. I find shooting from the right flipper way easier than the left. Ill also do a video on my trunk modifications that made the trunk much more reliable. In fact it hasnt missed a shot yet, and im on the original power supply.

I have line conditioners on my pins, I thought the original power supply was ok too. When I upgraded a few weeks ago finally to the new power supply and the coil performance kit... its a much more constant experience regardless of how many coils are firing and how many pins are on. I recommend it highly wish I did it sooner. Oh, and dont use those wal-nuts.. get the lever nuts much safer.

#11596 3 years ago

Hello,
I am looking to join the club buying a used Houdini tomorrow and was wondering the possible problems to look out for ?

Thank you

#11597 3 years ago
Quoted from Theboatnics:

Hello,
I am looking to join the club buying a used Houdini tomorrow and was wondering the possible problems to look out for ?
Thank you

Power supply upgrade - Coil Kit Upgrade Kit - Knocker Kit - Read the service bulletins for some changes you might have to make - Shaker... some of those are not problems but the knocker kit is once you have played a game with one... its not just for credits anymore!

#11598 3 years ago
Quoted from Theboatnics:

Hello,
Thank you

Check how the flippers are adjusted. It’s not a problem per se, but if they are pointed just slightly down, it makes a HUUUUUUUGE difference in the game.

Make sure it is pitched to UNDER 6.5, maybe about 6.2. Leg levelers should be screwed all the way in, and the back legs screwed out a few turns to get a little more elevation. Most people don’t have the game set up correctly.

Quiz the owner on the power supply upgrade. Newer games (made last year and newer, I -think-) have an upgraded PS. Earlier games have a big add-on power supply. Should be back of the cabinet.

#11599 3 years ago

Houdini is one of the best games I have ever played/or bought. Must raise back wire form ramp a quarter of an inch with nylon spacers in order to get it to work of the time. Feel free to message me and I will show you how

#11600 3 years ago

Any of you Houdini owners have an Oktoberfest they want to part with? I love my Houdini and want to add to the family.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 232 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/232 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.