20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 226 of 297.
#11251 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

There were two made. The Mod Couple one is sold out, but not the interactive model. The interactive one is still available at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1070-hookedonpinballcom/02152-houdini-chinese-water-torture-mod-factory-interactive-

This is the one that I have. Really nice looking and lights up too. My wife gets a kick out of his little feet sticking out of the top. The installation was pretty straightforward as best I can recall.

#11252 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

There were two made. The Mod Couple one is sold out, but not the interactive model. The interactive one is still available at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1070-hookedonpinballcom/02152-houdini-chinese-water-torture-mod-factory-interactive-

Thanks!
$122 is a bit steep lol

I like the $49 better!

#11253 3 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Thanks Lloyd. Josh has assured me it will be ok. Just get a bit freaked out with all the talk of flipper issues, power supply issues and I’m in Australia with completely different voltage wondering if it will be better or worse. I’ve been wanting to buy one since they came out.

All the Australian ones needed a Thermister Changed and a separate Power supply Fitted to run Coils

The games are still available new in Australia with all options

#11255 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Looks like I lost green on one of my insert LED boards, whaaaaa!
I see Pinball Life sells the individual P3ROC LED boards but they don't list any of the AP games as using them, I'll have to send Margaret a note about that one. Has anyone else had one fail yet or am I the first? Just curious.
EDIT: Crud - after looking under the PF it appears this (Lock 2) is actually on a larger custom board. Guess I'll have to see if I can figure out if it's actually an individual LED on that board that died and it so if I can find a replacement for it before replacing the whole board.

LED started working properly on it's own, could still be a hardware or connector issue or it could be code related I guess as I'm running test code. Happy to have it back one way or the other!

#11256 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

LED started working properly on it's own, could still be a hardware or connector issue or it could be code related I guess as I'm running test code. Happy to have it back one way or the other!

Maybe loose on board or weak contact?

#11257 3 years ago

So I'm stumped. A5-B1-0 TO A5-B1-6 are not working. 6.3 fuse keeps blowing. This is the truck diverted, upper vux , subway release, shop, magnets, right sling.

Fuse originally blew when the scoop couldn't shoot the ball out. It kept just cycling then fuse out. Replace coil and fuse. No change.

Check machine up and down for something loose. Check dips. Im lost. We were going to install the new
capacitor for the power issues. Never got that far.

The machine is in green ok still. Ran test , if it goes to scoop it knows it went in but not fire same with upper vux. Balls search won't activate these.

#11258 3 years ago
Quoted from Tugboat1:

So I'm stumped. A5-B1-0 TO A5-B1-6 are not working. 6.3 fuse keeps blowing. This is the truck diverted, upper vux , subway release, shop, magnets, right sling.
Fuse originally blew when the scoop couldn't shoot the ball out. It kept just cycling then fuse out. Replace coil and fuse. No change.
Check machine up and down for something loose. Check dips. Im lost. We were going to install the new
capacitor for the power issues. Never got that far.
The machine is in green ok still. Ran test , if it goes to scoop it knows it went in but not fire same with upper vux. Balls search won't activate these.

Is the scoop coil firing but the ball just won't exit or is it not firing at all (with a good fuse installed)? I'd suspect you may have bad diode or a bad driver transistor on that PD-16. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it at all?

#11259 3 years ago

No. The fuse blows right away. Put new fuse in power up go to coil test nothing. Check fuse blown.

New fuse in drop ball in scoop . Blown.

All switches register as good. Everything out is that A5 -b1-0 to 6.

Initially the scoop was struggling and then the fuse went.
Put new coil in and still dead. Fuse won't hold

#11260 3 years ago
Quoted from Tugboat1:

No. The fuse blows right away. Put new fuse in power up go to coil test nothing. Check fuse blown.
New fuse in drop ball in scoop . Blown.
All switches register as good. Everything out is that A5 -b1-0 to 6.
Initially the scoop was struggling and then the fuse went.
Put new coil in and still dead. Fuse won't hold

Since all coils have molex connectors, you may want to disconnect all of the coils on that bank, but one, then see what happens, then add them one at time until you see which is causing it to blow. At that point it is likely either the coil or the transistor or a short someplace.

Also, when replacing coils on our games, be sure there is no diode on the coil, using a coil with a diode, depending on how you wire it, will cause damage to the board.

#11261 3 years ago

Ill try that way. I order the scoop coil from you guys. Ill have to double check on diodes.

#11262 3 years ago
Quoted from Tugboat1:

Ill try that way. I order the scoop coil from you guys. Ill have to double check on diodes.

I doubt the actual coil is bad unless it melted. Figure out which one causes the fuse to blow and then check the drive transistor for it, that is probably shorted and causing the fuse to blow. If you don't hear anything locking on when you power it up with a new fuse it may be one of the magnets as you obviously wouldn't hear them.

#11263 3 years ago
Quoted from Tugboat1:

If it came from us, should not have a diode on it.

#11264 3 years ago

ok. Tested the wires. It is th j4 that blows fuse

#11265 3 years ago

Also the J7 just blew the other fuse.

#11266 3 years ago
Quoted from Tugboat1:

Since no diode on the coil, you can remove it from the game and check it with a meter and see what ohms you get. Then post back here and rosh can guide you to which is bad. Coil, or transistor.

LTG : )

#11267 3 years ago
Quoted from Tugboat1:

Quoted from Tugboat1:

You have any pinched wires going on ? Coil lugs shorting to metal ? Shrapnel behind a board or on a board ?

#11268 3 years ago

rosh coil at 3.8 not seeing anything pinched or forien objects.

#11269 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Available and very nicely detailed.
Josh put in a few lines of code for it to.

Yeah the Mod Couple one the figure is flat and not nearly as detailed as the Interactive one. And, as stated, the Interactive one is (well) interactive with the game itself since code was written for it. Not knocking the Mod Couple, just the Interactive one is nicer.

Quoted from Vino:

Ok turkeys, I’ll order this kit and apparently an EOS kit as well. Game already has power supply, blades, knocker, and shaker.
Anything else the long timers would suggest as an add or backup before I empty my wallet and place another order?

The lighted flipper buttons (BriteButtons) are a nice addition to Houdini as well. I added the Orange ones to mine and it looked really nice. Only drawback is, you can only order them from Pinball Life and since they're not currently shipping via USPS you'll pay around $15 just for shipping.

#11270 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

The lighted flipper buttons (BriteButtons) are a nice addition to Houdini as well. I added the Orange ones to mine and it looked really nice. Only drawback is, you can only order them from Pinball Life and since they're not currently shipping via USPS you'll pay around $15 just for shipping.

That sounds pretty cool. I also thought about adding the gold rimmed flipper button from Mezel at: https://mezelmods.com/products/hobbit-pinball-gold-ring-button?_pos=1&_sid=4b5e237c1&_ss=r

This is not a lighted button [?], and a little pricey, but would look pretty cool I think. I really would like something that has the same kind of industrial, metallic look of the game. Anyone have any leads on something metallic that would fall into that category?

#11271 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

That sounds pretty cool. I also thought about adding the gold rimmed flipper button from Mezel at: https://mezelmods.com/products/hobbit-pinball-gold-ring-button?_pos=1&_sid=4b5e237c1&_ss=r
This is not a lighted button [?], and a little pricey, but would look pretty cool I think. I really would like something that has the same kind of industrial, metallic look of the game. Anyone have any leads on something metallic that would fall into that category?

This works too
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-1910830-Spray-Paint-Each/dp/B000QD3GPW/ref=sr_1_2

Did you already swap out the black T molding for the gold one?
https://www.amazon.com/20ft-Roll-Plastic-T-Molding-Gold/dp/B07G7FQTS9/ref=sr_1_1

Be careful you don't OG!

#11272 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

yeah the orange lighted ones go really well with the orange in the artwork on the cabinet.

Posted this before but will add again .... for installation of the BriteButtons on a Houdini see my post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/175#post-4932721

#11273 3 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

This works too
amazon.com link »
Did you already swap out the black T molding for the gold one?
amazon.com link »
Be careful you don't OG!

Ha! Point taken. No, no I'm going to limit myself to flipper buttons - if that. Too much of a good thing is never that good.

Golden-car-1 (resized).jpgGolden-car-1 (resized).jpg
#11274 3 years ago
Quoted from Tugboat1:

Not the connectors on the board, you want to disconnect the connectors to each individual coil associated with that part of the driver board to see which is blowing the fuse.

#11275 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not the connectors on the board, you want to disconnect the connectors to each individual coil associated with that part of the driver board to see which is blowing the fuse.

Ok. Not sure what ohm supposed to be. All tested at 3.8

#11276 3 years ago
Quoted from Tugboat1:

Ok. Not sure what ohm supposed to be. All tested at 3.8

So. J4 snd J7 blows fuses.

Plug everything in without J4 or J7 and fuses hold. Good.

Physically check the driver board for dropped screws or anything that might have fallen on the board to create a short.

Start with J4.

Trace the wire manually inch by inch. Disconnect things as you go. Take pictures.

Disconnect any or all coils from this circuit/connector. Just unplug them as needed. Take pictures.

Plug it in. Does the fuse hold?

Plug in things one by one, the fuse will blow when the problem device appears.

Do the same with J7.

#11277 3 years ago

Let me start by saying I like houdini. The layout, the shots and the light show. I had the issue with weak flippers. It was so bad I didn't even turn the machine on for 2 weeks and i just bought it less than 2 months ago NIB. So I ordered the the coil fix. Woohoo! It works great. I have no weak flippers! I put about 12 games on it and flipper power is not an issue. Now, I have flipper collapse. Not all the time but if a ball is whipping around it happens. So now if I want to fix that I have to buy the EOS fix. I know most will say its a great game, I shouldn’t complain about a few issues but this is my 5th NIB and I have never had to buy parts to solder or install to make the game play normal. So here I sit contemplating whether to bite the bullet and fix it or move on.

#11278 3 years ago

I’m a Houdini owner. 2nd owner, HUO.

I’ve been lucky enough to have never had any catapult issues, no scoop issues and I don’t think I’ve had any flipper collapse issues. I’m a terrible player so I may not have noticed. I love the game.

Questions, Is it worth purchasing and installing the coil improvement kit or should I leave well enough alone? If if it is worth installing, what should I expect the improvement shown to be?

#11279 3 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

So here I sit contemplating whether to bite the bullet and fix it or move on.

Fix.

You'll be glad you did.

#11280 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

I’m a Houdini owner. 2nd owner, HUO.
I’ve been lucky enough to have never had any catapult issues, no scoop issues and I don’t think I’ve had any flipper collapse issues. I’m a terrible player so I may not have noticed. I love the game.
Questions, Is it worth purchasing and installing the coil improvement kit or should I leave well enough alone? If if it is worth installing, what should I expect the improvement shown to be?

It takes about 5 minutes, it may or may not be noticeable when you install, but that's kind of the point - you *shouldn't* notice when the flippers have an issue!

#11281 3 years ago

Same boat, Houdini needs some extra love. Going to replace my power supply connections and install the coil fix and eos this weekend. I feel like it's an underrated game. Never did understand the noise about tight difficult shots.

#11282 3 years ago

Let me start by saying I like houdini. The layout, the shots and the light show. I had the issue with weak flippers. It was so bad I didn't even turn the machine on for 2 weeks and i just bought it less than 2 months ago NIB. So I ordered the the coil fix. Woohoo! It works great. I have no weak flippers! I put about 12 games on it and flipper power is not an issue. Now, I have flipper collapse. Not all the time but if a ball is whipping around it happens. So now if I want to fix that I have to buy the EOS fix. I know most will say its a great game, I shouldn’t complain about a few issues but this is my 5th NIB and I have never had to buy parts to solder or install to make the game play normal. So here I sit contemplating whether to bite the bullet and fix it or move on.

There is a setting to increase the hold power. For me it did eliminate most flipper knock backs. Try that before ordering the EOS switches. It might be enough of an improvement for you.

#11283 3 years ago

You're not alone! After being told to do this and do that to fix the flipper issue, to no avail, I moved on. Houdini has the potential to be great game but until AP fixes the flipper issue I'll steer clear of their machines. BTW don't waste the money on the EOS kit ..... it's not going to fix the flipper issue.

#11284 3 years ago

For those of you who have already done the coil upgrade, did you have much slack or how did you proceed? I think the instructions should read for step 2, disconnect J5? I've got no slack at all to get close to a connection.

#11285 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

For those of you who have already done the coil upgrade, did you have much slack or how did you proceed? I think the instructions should read for step 2, disconnect J5? I've got no slack at all to get close to a connection.

I connected it to J1 to test fit a location before screwing it down

I also pulled on the wire a bit to get another half inch of slack.

Closer to the left magnet than the picture works fine.

#11286 3 years ago

What do you do if you cant get anymore slack?

#11287 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

What do you do if you cant get anymore slack?

Any cable ties you can cut, make slack, retie ?

#11288 3 years ago

I think tracing the brown/black it leads on my model down to a molex connector that contains the slack area before being routed into the small plastic ribbed cable cozy thing-y. Finnflash, yours may be the same? I'll need to cut several of the small wire ties and retie them.

Couple of questions for those that have done these. I heard somewhere there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Can you please confirm what to disconnect, is it J5?
For power supply on the replacement lever nut connectors you are not doubling up any wires, they each get their own port?
EOS looks simple to install, wonder if I am missing anything. Just pop the one wire into a connector and then caveman solder (the only kind I can do) the other wire to any ground?

#11289 3 years ago

Just got the Coil Performance Kit, superfast shipping! Of course I am only a couple hundred miles away but you never know with shipping these days.
I haven't had any real power issues but wanted to install this anyway. Something to do tonight

20200826_152526_HDR (resized).jpg20200826_152526_HDR (resized).jpg
#11290 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I heard somewhere there is no such thing as a stupid question.

No, better be safe than sorry.

Hopefully people with games or rosh , Ferret , Vegas9 , see and can help.

#11291 3 years ago

J5 is the connector. It’s wrong in the instructions. I screwed mine closer to the left magnet so it would reach.

#11292 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

So. J4 snd J7 blows fuses.
Plug everything in without J4 or J7 and fuses hold. Good.
Physically check the driver board for dropped screws or anything that might have fallen on the board to create a short.
Start with J4.
Trace the wire manually inch by inch. Disconnect things as you go. Take pictures.
Disconnect any or all coils from this circuit/connector. Just unplug them as needed. Take pictures.
Plug it in. Does the fuse hold?
Plug in things one by one, the fuse will blow when the problem device appears.
Do the same with J7.

@rosh

I got call in for some long shift. Not much time right now.

So the anther person working on it. Did what was said and found the right spot light was not working touch the wire and it came partially on flickered out. The wire is loose in the socket.
After that was disconnected he powered machine on again the fuse held but now nothing works on A or B. No flippers,slings,catapults,etc . Shut off fuses still good.

Went over wireing again nothing out of the ordinary. All coils were fine.

Turns machine on again has slight electrical burn smell. Shuts down says it was strongest by the board.

I asked for the pics I'm still waiting.

#11293 3 years ago

Ok, yeah put it close to left magnet so it would reach. I couldn't tell if it was J5 I unplugged but seemed like what was being described in the instructions. Hooked it up and everything seemed to work great. So seems like I may have done it correctly.

#11294 3 years ago

Hello all! Im going to be joining the club real soon. I’m trading my stranger things pro model for a Houdini soon. What do you all think of the trade and what should I know about Houdini? I only got to play Houdini a couple of times at a local pinball show a year or so ago and I liked it. But didn’t spend much time on it. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to this machine !

#11295 3 years ago

That’s a good trade for you.

#11296 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I think tracing the brown/black it leads on my model down to a molex connector that contains the slack area before being routed into the small plastic ribbed cable cozy thing-y. Finnflash, yours may be the same? I'll need to cut several of the small wire ties and retie them.
Couple of questions for those that have done these. I heard somewhere there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Can you please confirm what to disconnect, is it J5?
For power supply on the replacement lever nut connectors you are not doubling up any wires, they each get their own port?
EOS looks simple to install, wonder if I am missing anything. Just pop the one wire into a connector and then caveman solder (the only kind I can do) the other wire to any ground?

Definitely J5, the instructions are still wrong.

I soldered the ground to the black wires on the left and right outlane switches.

I just used a 5 port lever nut, but a 3 or 4 port will also work.
Yes you can double up wires on the lever nuts, twist them together first.

Adjust the EOS so that it makes contact the last 1/4" of flipper throw.

Test it in the unused switch tests.

#11297 3 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Hello all! Im going to be joining the club real soon. I’m trading my stranger things pro model for a Houdini soon. What do you all think of the trade and what should I know about Houdini? I only got to play Houdini a couple of times at a local pinball show a year or so ago and I liked it. But didn’t spend much time on it. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to this machine !

I have both, and I couldn't stop playing Stranger Things. I had put so many games on it that I had to buy another machine just so i would stop playing it. That's a hard choice for me, I like both A LOT!

#11298 3 years ago

rosh here are some pics

20200823_164718 (resized).jpg20200823_164718 (resized).jpg20200823_200925 (resized).jpg20200823_200925 (resized).jpg20200823_200742 (resized).jpg20200823_200742 (resized).jpg20200823_164831 (resized).jpg20200823_164831 (resized).jpg20200824_154003 (resized).jpg20200824_154003 (resized).jpg20200824_153958 (resized).jpg20200824_153958 (resized).jpg20200824_154012 (resized).jpg20200824_154012 (resized).jpg20200824_154015 (resized).jpg20200824_154015 (resized).jpg
#11299 3 years ago

Anyone here have a shaker motor for sale and/or a knocker? I’ll be joining the club SOON and I’m gonna want to mod this baby up. Also, what’s the sound like on this machine ? Speakers sound good? I need some feedback on it. Thanks !

#11300 3 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Anyone here have a shaker motor for sale and/or a knocker? I’ll be joining the club SOON and I’m gonna want to mod this baby up. Also, what’s the sound like on this machine ? Speakers sound good? I need some feedback on it. Thanks !

Go to AP’s website. They sell them there

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeley, CO
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 49.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 226 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/226?hl=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.