20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 225 of 297.
#11201 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I have the 48v upgrade power supply. I have never had flipper issues before or after. I do not have the EOS kit.
The capacitor kit I just installed has made a dramatic change for the better.

The capacitor is WAY more important than EOS. EOS is the -last- upgrade you should do.

#11202 3 years ago

Mount the board to the left of center, install the board with J1 to the left.
Capapult was perfect from day one.
Same as others, catapult shot high and to the right after install. I lower coil to 27 and it is perfect and consistent.
Scoop worked properly until last code update. Now works on first attempt.
I stopped having flipper failure after installing upgraded power supply. I also have the EOS switches. No apparent change with cap board.

I still have lost balls and long search times.
American Pinball is slowly making this a epic game.
I am getting closer to buying a Hot Wheels for the grand kids.

Coin door by Robert Stone and Master Audio Control by Pinnovators.
The build quality of Houdini is very impressive. They just forgot the speaker cabinet.

I am looking for a sold out robot mod and the gold Houdini emblem for the backbox.

Great game, great value I love it.

IMG-2855 (resized).jpgIMG-2855 (resized).jpgIMG-2857 (resized).jpgIMG-2857 (resized).jpg
#11203 3 years ago

Just tried to order the cap kit, sold out

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/kit0006-00

#11204 3 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Same as others, catapult shot high and to the right after install. I lower coil to 27 and it is perfect and consistent.
I stopped having flipper failure after installing upgraded power supply. I also have the EOS switches. No apparent change with cap board.
The build quality of Houdini is very impressive. They just forgot the speaker cabinet.
I am looking for a sold out robot mod and the gold Houdini emblem for the backbox.
Great game, great value I love it.[quoted image][quoted image]

Oh damn that coin door is outstanding! Lost balls are being worked on by Josh, I am confident we will have an update! (And way before Keith Johnson gets to POTC)

#11205 3 years ago

Great game, great value I love it.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, this is a key point.

There is very little slack in the wiring harness.

I plugged my J5 connector onto J1 on the capicitor board before mounting it.

J1 located definitely on the left.

This way you can see that it has to be farther left and closer to the left magnet than the picture in the instructions shows.

Make sure its high enough that you can get the lower mounting screws in without damaging or removing the driverboard pair.

I used a 6" extention on my drill motor to get the screws in thru the wiring.

#11206 3 years ago

Look again. I ordered one yesterday no problem and just checked now out of curiosity - it appears to be back in stock.

#11207 3 years ago

I am looking for a sold out robot mod and the gold Houdini emblem for the backbox

I also really like the 3D facade. I can’t tell if you have that one. It is subtle, but really well done. Adds an additional sense of “quality build” to an already quality game. One of my favorite mods. Worth checking out.
It’s at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1080-the-mod-couple/01864-api-houdini-api-grand-theater-3d-facade-makeover-mod

Hang in there for the robot, they seem to pop up every so often.

#11208 3 years ago

I plan on installing the capacitor upgrade tomorrow.

Do I still need the EOS switch upgrade kit?

If so, what exactly does the EOS switch upgrade do?

#11209 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

EOS removes a bug where if the flippers fall due to a powerful ball you have to flip to reset the state of the flippers (a dead flip). The EOS will tell the game the true state.

#11210 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

It allows the game to know when a flipper is knocked down.

This way the game can keep the flipper up so you dont have to keep repressing the flipper button.

Flipper knockdown happens a lot in multiball games.

If three high speed balls hit a flipper at the same time, the sheer weight will collapse the flipper.

Without EOS the flipper will stay down until you release the flipper button and press it again.

With EOS the flipper will come back up automatically.

#11211 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

The end of stroke switch is for the flipper hold power. All flippers are dual wound coils: High power for the initial snap of power, and Low power for the hold at the top (end of stroke). Traditionally the end of stroke switches where critical to have so you didn't burn up the coil.
Houdini and many modern games have computer controlled EOS switches.

The physical eos switch helps with balls coming at full speed hitting your flipper, when the contacts open the high power engages again and snaps the flipper back up.

#11212 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

The end of stroke switch is for the flipper hold power. All flippers are dual wound coils: High power for the initial snap of power, and Low power for the hold at the top (end of stroke). Traditionally the end of stroke switches where critical to have so you didn't burn up the coil.
Houdini and many modern games have computer controlled EOS switches.
The physical eos switch helps with balls coming at full speed hitting your flipper, when the contacts open the high power engages again and snaps the flipper back up.

I wasn't aware of that....
What other newer pins use this?
I only have a few newer mins...MBr, MMr, GBLE and JJP POTC

#11213 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I wasn't aware of that....
What other newer pins use this?
I only have a few newer mins...MBr, MMr, GBLE and JJP POTC

All of them have EOS switches.

Rick and Morty has the P-Roc system and they installed EOS switches too.

Houdini didnt come with them as its not totally necessary since the PC controls the coils to keep them from burning up if you hold a flipper for an extended time.

But from a gameplay point of view when in a chaotic scenario, you just dont have the time to fool with a dead/collapsed flipper.

I installed EOS switches early on before kits were available. It has helped a lot, I need all the help I can get lol

The EOS kit is a pretty easy 25 min installation.

The capacitor kit is really good.

#11215 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

All of them have EOS switches.
Rick and Morty has the P-Roc system and they installed EOS switches too.
Houdini didnt come with them as its not totally necessary since the PC controls the coils to keep them from burning up if you hold a flipper for an extended time.
But from a gameplay point of view when in a chaotic scenario, you just dont have the time to fool with a dead/collapsed flipper.
I installed EOS switches early on before kits were available. It has helped a lot, I need all the help I can get lol
The EOS kit is a pretty easy 25 min installation.
The capacitor kit is really good.

Just ordered the EOS kit and knocker kit.

#11216 3 years ago

Man I’m bummed that I sold my Houdini before this came out but I was frustrated by the missing ball acts and catapult adjustments that weren’t working. I’ll definitelt get one of these back one day

#11217 3 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Man I’m bummed that I sold my Houdini before this came out but I was frustrated by the missing ball acts and catapult adjustments that weren’t working. I’ll definitelt get one of these back one day

I almost sold my TH just before the EPIC ver 3.0 update...stuck in the unfinished ver 2.1.

I waited 2 years, nothing came, I was getting antsy... and then?

A completely different game emerges that is truly groundbreaking!

So, Ive learned to be patient lol.

Im confident that Josh and team will get this game coded and finished!
After the long wait, I feel great things are coming.

This capacitor upgrade is one of them.

Its a completely different game.

Houdini is destined to be a world class game!

Dave (@brenna98) has brought new life and strength to the API team and Houdini!

(But I miss @barryj, he's awesome. But doing amazing things at JJP now I hear!)

#11218 3 years ago

I've been a bit absent from pinside lately and just caught up on the latest Houdini talk.

Just ordered the capacitor kit and a few other goodies from API. Interested in getting the kit installed and seeing how it changes things. Overall, I haven't had too much problem with power/ coil strength fluctuations but occasionally it rears its ugly head.

The beta code is an improvement but it still seems to struggle with keeping track of the balls. Frustrating, but not to the point that I want to get rid of this fun game.

#11219 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I've been a bit absent from pinside lately and just caught up on the latest Houdini talk.
Just ordered the capacitor kit and a few other goodies from API. Interested in getting the kit installed and seeing how it changes things. Overall, I haven't had too much problem with power/ coil strength fluctuations but occasionally it rears its ugly head.
The beta code is an improvement but it still seems to struggle with keeping track of the balls. Frustrating, but not to the point that I want to get rid of this fun game.

You’re gonna have to be patient!

#11220 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Yeah, we've been talking about you since you left, mostly trash talk.

jk. - welcome back.

#11221 3 years ago

Question as I am still learning my Houdini, when does the rear catapult come into play, I have never seen it used in the game. I have the latest code and the game is set to easy. Everything else works fine,catapult works in test mode.

#11222 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Question as I am still learning my Houdini, when does the rear catapult come into play, I have never seen it used in the game. I have the latest code and the game is set to easy. Everything else works fine,catapult works in test mode.

After you load the main catapult, the ball usually drops into the secondary catapult, throwing it into the wireform

#11223 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

when does the rear catapult come into play

If starting a movie and locking a ball at the same time

During bullet Catch

Starting trunk multiball

#11224 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

If starting a movie and locking a ball at the same time
During bullet Catch
Starting trunk multiball

You forgot when it accidentally falls in from a missed throw. Thanks for coding that possible eventuality.

#11225 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

After you load the main catapult, the ball usually drops into the secondary catapult, throwing it into the wireform

No this is not happening, a ball always loads up at the shooter rod, had several trunk multiballs and no rear catapult, it just doesn't seem to be a part of my game.

#11226 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

No this is not happening, a ball always loads up at the shooter rod, had several trunk multiballs and no rear catapult, it just doesn't seem to be a part of my game.

Pull the glass and experiment

#11227 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Pull the glass and experiment

I adjusted the catapult setting, was too low,works perfectly. All trunk shots go straight to the subway. I am guessing something in the code is not allowing the balls to go to the upper catapult, all mech and electrical working as far as I can tell. Maybe have to downgrade code or go to the beta. I guess I will call API on Monday.

#11228 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

I adjusted the catapult setting, was too low,works perfectly. All trunk shots go straight to the subway. I am guessing something in the code is not allowing the balls to go to the upper catapult, all mech and electrical working as far as I can tell. Maybe have to downgrade code or go to the beta. I guess I will call API on Monday.

You tested the actual switch on the upper catapult? The overwhelming most likely situation is that your switch isn’t catching -when a ball is in the catapult-. Make sure to test with a ball not your finger.

My catapult (the main one) had an issue where the switch would sometimes not detect a ball in it and it wouldn’t throw. Took me a while to realize a ball doesn’t push the switch down as far as when I would test with my finger. The fix was just to bend up the switch arm very slightly. There’s almost no way it’s your code.

#11229 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

You are talking about the upper catapult that thows the ball into the wireform.

To see it work, place a ball in it while the game is on with the coindoor closed or the white peg on the door switch pulled.

#11230 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You tested the actual switch on the upper catapult? The overwhelming most likely situation is that your switch isn’t catching -when a ball is in the catapult-. Make sure to test with a ball not your finger.
My catapult (the main one) had an issue where the switch would sometimes not detect a ball in it and it wouldn’t throw. Took me a while to realize a ball doesn’t push the switch down as far as when I would test with my finger. The fix was just to bend up the switch arm very slightly. There’s almost no way it’s your code.

I did test it with a ball, after I raised the setting it works like a champ. The problem is that after the trunk shot is made the switch opens the door to the subway everytime. So no balls are entering the upper catapult, basically useless. Played multiple games and tested with glass off but the trunk bottom door always opens after trunk catapult shot is made.

#11231 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

I did test it with a ball, after I raised the setting it works like a champ. The problem is that after the trunk shot is made the switch opens the door to the subway everytime. So no balls are entering the upper catapult, basically useless. Played multiple games and tested with glass off but the trunk bottom door always opens after trunk catapult shot is made.

Somethings not registering

#11232 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Sounds like a switch is loose or needs adjusting or the trunk diverter coil wire fell off the coil or its cable is loose.

I dont think its code related.

#11233 3 years ago

This is pretty simple to test, take the glass off, start a game, hold onto the ball and light film with the inlanes by hand then roll the ball up the inner loop. Catapult should fire it into the trunk, diverter should stay closed and it should go to the upper catapult and end up on your right flipper.

#11234 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is pretty simple to test, take the glass off, start a game, hold onto the ball and light film with the inlanes by hand then roll the ball up the inner loop. Catapult should fire it into the trunk, diverter should stay closed and it should go to the upper catapult and end up on your right flipper.

Ok it worked that time, first time I have seen it. So I guess I have to up my game, but it did not work in trunk multiball,last ball in went to the subway. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

#11235 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Ok it worked that time, first time I have seen it. So I guess I have to up my game, but it did not work in trunk multiball,last ball in went to the subway. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Focus on FILM Letters to be sure you have film lit as much as possible, so you are not wasting inner loop/lock shots and you will see that upper catapult more

#11237 3 years ago

Ok turkeys, I’ll order this kit and apparently an EOS kit as well. Game already has power supply, blades, knocker, and shaker.
Anything else the long timers would suggest as an add or backup before I empty my wallet and place another order?

#11238 3 years ago

Add a Hot Wheels pin to your order.

#11239 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Anything else the long timers would suggest as an add

Quoted from NoQuarters:

Your collection needs an Oktoberfest pin too.

LTG : )

#11240 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Oh I get it. Huh, yeah that should not be happening. Maybe the trunk door is faulty?

#11241 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Quoted from LTG:

Your collection needs an Oktoberfest pin too.

Well, I set myself up there didn’t I?

#11242 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Well, I set myself up there didn’t I?

Well you wanted to empty your wallet. We came running to help.

Only looking out for your happiness.

#11243 3 years ago

Looks like I lost green on one of my insert LED boards, whaaaaa!

I see Pinball Life sells the individual P3ROC LED boards but they don't list any of the AP games as using them, I'll have to send Margaret a note about that one. Has anyone else had one fail yet or am I the first? Just curious.

EDIT: Crud - after looking under the PF it appears this (Lock 2) is actually on a larger custom board. Guess I'll have to see if I can figure out if it's actually an individual LED on that board that died and it so if I can find a replacement for it before replacing the whole board.

#11244 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Oh I get it. Huh, yeah that should not be happening. Maybe the trunk door is faulty?

nah all is good, just a shitty player lol.

#11245 3 years ago

Does anyone know where to get the lighted, interactive water torture mod?
I think I want one.

#11246 3 years ago

Sounds kinky phrased like that.

#11247 3 years ago

I think I want one.

The Mod Couple made them. Sold out. https://themodcouplepinball.com/collections/api-houdini-custom-mods-collection/products/api-houdini-custom-water-torture-mod-complete-the-magic?variant=8187195490401

Keep an eye on Pinside classifieds or make a wanted post.

#11248 3 years ago

I think I want one.

There were two made. The Mod Couple one is sold out, but not the interactive model. The interactive one is still available at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1070-hookedonpinballcom/02152-houdini-chinese-water-torture-mod-factory-interactive-

#11249 3 years ago

Available and very nicely detailed.
Josh put in a few lines of code for it to.

#11250 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

There were two made. The Mod Couple one is sold out, but not the interactive model. The interactive one is still available at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1070-hookedonpinballcom/02152-houdini-chinese-water-torture-mod-factory-interactive-

I wasn't aware of that one.

Thank you !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 225 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/225?hl=sgsa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.